Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,176,019 members, 7,896,292 topics. Date: Sunday, 21 July 2024 at 10:29 AM

ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English - Education (35) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English (107205 Views)

Kids Will Learn ABC This Way, If This Generation Is Not Careful / Some Common Silly Mistakes/errors People Make In English Language. / Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) ... (72) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 12:50am On Feb 08, 2011
Odunnu:

I'm good, Tisha.
Wow! Thanx again for this knowledge
Na Tisha we all be for dis thread o.

Anyway, good to know that you are good.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Akinmobs(m): 7:25pm On Feb 08, 2011
This so nice , keep it sir
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 12:59am On Feb 09, 2011
Akinmobs:

This so nice , keep it sir

Thank you cool. We go try sha smiley
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 3:58pm On Feb 13, 2011
POSER.

Talking about plurals.

Please, help.
Forum (e.g. Nairaland). And the plural form is:

'Forums' or 'Fora'? Or both?

Stadium (e.g. The Emirates stadium). And the plural form is:

'Stadiums' or[b] 'Stadia'[/b]? Or both?

Oya!
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 4:44am On Feb 14, 2011
POSER.

TALKING ABOUT PLURALS. smiley

Manifesto becomes:

Manifestoes?

Or manifestos?

Which one please?
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Odunnu: 7:53pm On Feb 14, 2011
*Raises finger* Uncle me I!
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by MaiSuya(m): 9:33pm On Feb 14, 2011
Odunnu:

No, I!
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by MaiSuya(m): 9:53pm On Feb 14, 2011
ola olabiy:

POSER.

TALKING ABOUT PLURALS. smiley

Manifesto becomes:

Manifestoes?

Or manifestos?

Which one please?

LOL! my spell check did the work for me!  wink underneath manifestoes [/b]is the usual red wavy line suggesting that it's incorrect.

So I guess the answer should be [b]manifestos
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by semid4lyfe(m): 12:42am On Feb 15, 2011
1. Forums and Fora are both correct plural forms.

Hmmm, the plural form used depends on context IMO.

In the example you highlighted ie about internet forum e.g Nairaland, I think the correct plural form to use is Forums cos it'd be silly to say something like "different fora exist in cyberspace" lol.

Just doesn't sound right to me or is it? undecided

2. Stadiums and Stadia are also both correct plural forms and can be used I think.
e.g There are 20 stadia (stadiums) in Nigeria.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by semid4lyfe(m): 12:42am On Feb 15, 2011

In the example you highlighted ie about internet forum e.g Nairaland, I think the correct plural form to use is Forums cos it'd be silly to say something like "different fora exist in cyberspace" lol.

2. Stadiums and Stadia are also both correct plural forms and can be used I think.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by semid4lyfe(m): 12:56am On Feb 15, 2011
Didn't know posts couldn't be modified in this section. Ignore my 2 posts above.

This na the origo one wey I wan post

In the example you highlighted ie about internet forum e.g Nairaland. . .I think the correct plural form to use is Forums cos it'd be silly to say something like "lots of/many discussion fora exist on the internet" lol.

Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 9:48am On Feb 15, 2011
Mai Suya:

LOL! my spell check did the work for me! wink underneath manifestoes [/b]is the usual red wavy line suggesting that it's incorrect.

So I guess the answer should be [b]manifestos

Thank you.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 9:57am On Feb 15, 2011
semid4lyfe:

Didn't know posts couldn't be modified in this section. Ignore my 2 posts above.

This na the origo one wey I wan post

In the example you highlighted ie about internet forum e.g Nairaland. . .I think the correct plural form to use is Forums cos it'd be silly to say something like "lots of/many discussion fora exist on the internet" lol.

Waoh! Thank you.

Fora means places of meeting/assembly, public squares, maketplaces or village squares.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 9:59am On Feb 15, 2011
Odunnu:

Go GEJ! Go GEJ! Go GEJ cheesy cheesy

We need you in Jarus' Section oo.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Abdulhanafyahoocom: 10:53am On Feb 15, 2011
Good thread i like it.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by ayex0001: 11:09am On Feb 15, 2011
nice topic
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by mairodi(f): 1:12pm On Feb 15, 2011
What about;
she's pregnant for David ? ( I see this in Nollywood movies), Dont get me wrong, I LOVE THEM
This is incorrect english, it should be "she's pregnat from David.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by MaiSuya(m): 2:50pm On Feb 15, 2011
mairodi:

What about;
she's pregnant for David ? ( I see this in Nollywood movies), Dont get me wrong, I LOVE THEM

Pregnant from? I'm not too sure about that, though I can see where you are coming from.

The aim of the expression is to ascribe responsibility for the pregnancy to David, and in that sense, pregnant for, I believe, should be the standard form.

Ola what do you think?
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 11:46pm On Feb 15, 2011
mairodi:

What about;

Sister, I don't understand this one o.

I don't think you are right though.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 11:47pm On Feb 15, 2011
Mai Suya:

Pregnant from? I'm not too sure about that, though I can see where you are coming from.

The aim of the expression is to ascribe responsibility for the pregnancy to David, and in that sense, pregnant for, I believe, should be the standard form.

Ola what do you think?

Bro, I think she's wrong.

Nairalanders, please help us.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by semid4lyfe(m): 12:08am On Feb 16, 2011
Pregnant from?

I also think it's wrong. undecided
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Odunnu: 9:37am On Feb 16, 2011
Pregnant from Ola? Thats a new one!
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 10:05am On Feb 16, 2011
Odunnu:

Pregnant from Ola? Thats a new one!
LWKMD grin grin

Me likey cheesy cheesy
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by mairodi(f): 10:32am On Feb 16, 2011
hello people! The way you find my saying "pregnant from" as wrong is the same way I find the saying "pregnant for" equally strange. I think u can agree with me that saying something a certain way all your life does not make it correct. Its just that its the way you know it, and if you hear it said differently, it sounds wrong. I am refering to all of us. I am not saying either of us is right. I was surprised to see people saying I am wrong. Anyway, can anyone else give us their input ( Not Naija's or Zimbos because it will be a long debate). Thanks
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 10:39am On Feb 16, 2011
mairodi:

hello people! The way you find my saying "pregnant from" as wrong is the same way I find the saying "pregnant for" equally strange. I think u can agree with me that saying something a certain way all your life does not make it correct. Its just that its the way you know it, and if you hear it said differently, it sounds wrong. I am refering to all of us. I am not saying either of us is right. I was surprised to see people saying I am wrong. Anyway, can anyone else give us their input ( Not Naija's or Zimbos because it will be a long debate). Thanks

No! It wasn't meant to ridicule your point, darling.

Maybe you are right. But, you wanted us to say something, to the best of our knowledge.

This afternoon, I will try to examine this question in a way that will satisfy us all.
Sorry darling, you are a friend. Don't be annoyed.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by mairodi(f): 11:38am On Feb 16, 2011
Oh Ola Olabiy ! sorry if I sounded annoyed, I'm not actually. This topic is to teach and not redicule us. I love everything about your country. It has a vibe that u cannot find anywhere in the world. The mixture of highrise buildings, slums, greenery, the markets, the traditions, the food. I'm hooked on the Nairaland site. God bless u
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by ZIMDRILL(m): 2:16pm On Feb 16, 2011
mairodi:

it is common among nigerians i think they would be trying to tell who is responsible though i think they try to say to much when not asked
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by ZIMDRILL(m): 2:25pm On Feb 16, 2011
it seem like some nigerian substute GIST for TALK

i.e LET US GIST which i think he meant to say lets us TALK the main points

as far as i know GIST is the main point or focus point in a message

check this

Hey guyz today is valentine eve, as we all know, 2morrow would be a working day, and majority of us would make maximum use of today(sunday) to share love, time and gifts with our loved one's, This thread is specially opened for us to jist about our experiences either good, bad or worse,

Were u slapped, Kissed, beaten, Deceived, Robbed, Made love, Snatched your friend Gf, Cheated, Whatever the case maybe. Just Gist us, Lets av fun guuuuuuyzzzzzz

Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by mairodi(f): 2:42pm On Feb 16, 2011
hi Zim Drill
Nice to hear from another Zimbo on Nairaland. How do you do kinsman? Are you in the Diaspora or are you in Zim like me
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by ZIMDRILL(m): 3:34pm On Feb 16, 2011
mairodi:

hi Zim Drill
Nice to hear from another Zimbo on Nairaland. How do you do kinsman? Are you in the Diaspora or are you in Zim like me

i dont know him/her

am in europe
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 6:35pm On Feb 16, 2011
Hmmmmm.
Interesting.

From the little effort I have made so far, it seems 'pregnant for' is the best example of Nigerianism. I am still working on this. So, nothing scientific yet.

*I will be back*. Time for Aaaaaaaaarsenallllllllllllllllllllll! smiley
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by slap1(m): 5:11am On Feb 17, 2011
ola olabiy:

Hmmmmm.
Interesting.

From the little effort I have made so far, it seems 'pregnant for' is the best example of Nigerianism. I am still working on this. So, nothing scientific yet.

*I will be back*. Time for Aaaaaaaaarsenallllllllllllllllllllll! smiley
Time well spent.

(1) (2) (3) ... (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) ... (72) (Reply)

LAUTECH Student's Leaked Sex Video: Story Behind The Sex Tape, The Girl Reacts / Zainab: Student Commits Suicide Over Her JAMB Score. Leaves Note For Her Parents / Female US Teacher Had Sex With Boy, 13, In Classroom & Even Moved Into His Home

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.