Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,196 members, 7,880,735 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 05:00 AM

Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React (24630 Views)

FG Implements 7.5% VAT On Diesel, Nigerians Kick / Nigerian Customs To Start Charging VAT On Diesel Imports / Senate Okays 7.5% VAT And 6 Other Tax Hikes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by don4real18(m): 1:42pm On Aug 06, 2019
Do not complain if you refused to join the protest. The elites understand how weak you are. I'm still wondering how 5% population can intimidate 95%.
Someone whom I know that gave the government support against the protest by openly condemning it on his social media handle is looking for someone to loan him some money to run out of the country. Imagine the hypocrisy displayed by the young man.

1 Like

Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by freemi(m): 1:43pm On Aug 06, 2019
bunmconig:
Oshodi and Ladipo, here I come grin grin grin
by the time Buhari finishes with Nigeria, Jumia and Shoprite will start hawking their goods by the road sides
hehe
Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by Nemesis909: 1:44pm On Aug 06, 2019
winterfell007:

those yam and tomatoes sellers are all paying taxes. it's the local government that is in charge of that. haven't you seen all those staff in uniform going to the markets places to sell tickets to those market women? Isn't It a form of taxation...

Same for the Cow seller.

Or you think they just find their way to the market?

1 Like

Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by Nobody: 1:46pm On Aug 06, 2019
Nemesis909:

So be it.

As you yourself said, they were already making astronomical gains.
astronomical gains that is supposed to be checked by government agencies. The same ones who have turned a blind eye to the nefarious activities of these online stores reaping Nigerians off but instead they would rather introduce 5% VAT to collect their own share . This is why i smh when folks like you compare Nigeria to developed countries. Na the people wey dey still buy online i blame ,soon ordering from alibaba and co will even be cheaper which i will only do for goods i cant find in the market.
Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by Nemesis909: 1:49pm On Aug 06, 2019
frenzyduchess:
astronomical gains that is supposed to be checked by government agencies. The same ones who have turned a blind eye to the nefarious activities of these online stores reaping Nigerians off but instead they would rather introduce 5% VAT to collect their own share . This is why i smh when folks like you compare Nigeria to developed countries. Na the people wey dey still buy online i blame ,soon ordering from alibaba and co will even be cheaper .

You have the right to sell your goods at any price you deem fit according to capitalists.

The idea being that competition should reduce it to the barest minimum.

1 Like

Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by OlawaleSmarter0(m): 1:50pm On Aug 06, 2019
FarahAideed:

Show us the development Tinubu has used the trillions of tax he has collected in Lagos if not to enrich himself ..till date Lagos has no roads , no pipe borne water and 80 percent of the inhabitants don't even have toilets ... Keep fooling yourself

This just prove you have no sense at all and all your judgment are being deliver base on Bigotry and hatred

Manufacturing statistics from your anus as usual

Pain Wailer cheesy

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by Okoroawusa: 1:51pm On Aug 06, 2019
koboko69:
People want development and keep making noise about how foriegn countries here but are not ready for what the foriegn countries do. Here in the US they task everything u buy, cash, online, debit machines anything. This is just an example of me trying to buy a tv worth over $1000. The tax is about $68 added to the original price of the tv which is 6% of the original cost.
Nigerians want development through magic.No wonder pastors r buying jets

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by piagetskinner(m): 1:51pm On Aug 06, 2019
Useless government....

Civil servants have been on the same salary for over a decade...

Yet you want people to keep paying tax... thunder fire all of Una
Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by Nobody: 1:52pm On Aug 06, 2019
Nemesis909:

You have the right to sell your goods at any price you deem fit according to capitalists.

The idea being that competition should reduce it to the barest minimum.
well i guess buying in the markets is the best competition and cashless policy is a scam meant to further improverish the poor with hidden charges.

I was at the hospital the other day, a popular bank charged a man #250 bank charge for using his atm to pay for drugs minus normal ATM charge o. He was complaining in the hall we were waiting. To think i wanted to tow that part ,opted to go outside and withdraw to pay cash. Lol . This and many more is how the masses are being short changed but the govt is turning a blind eye,they are only active when it is time to put more money in their pockets to loot.
Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by OlawaleSmarter0(m): 1:53pm On Aug 06, 2019
FarahAideed:

I swear to God almighty you can never make money more than me in this life ..I am not boasting just stating plain facts .. By the time I finish this particular reply I am very sure I would have earned over 20k naira already from just one set up I have .You think I am your mate in anything on Earth here ko?

This just prove you are a broke ass poverty stricken IPOB yoot

Beat your chest like a gorilla as your people use to do cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by pacespot(m): 1:53pm On Aug 06, 2019
Disadvantage for the locals who don't have any online payment platform, but not a problem for the web gurus who have created formidable online presence.

I will simply use my foreign PayPal account or payoneer to make payment online, which is what I am already using.
Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by Newboss(m): 1:54pm On Aug 06, 2019
bunmconig:
Oshodi and Ladipo, here I come grin grin grin
by the time Buhari finishes with Nigeria, Jumia and Shoprite will start hawking their goods by the road sides

Not an issue at all. All they have to do is to introduce bank transfer payment method, just like Slot.

It's even easier for them to process direct transfer.

Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by koboko69: 1:55pm On Aug 06, 2019
TaminaliaCatapa:

In those developed countries you mentioned, peoples taxes are well spent....good roads, stable electricity, portable water et al are to show for it.
Trust me, Nigerians won’t give a Bleep if these are in place for them

So this is a fvcked up development and should b antagonized....these politicians will surely loot the proceeds thereof

Y'all forget that the good roads didnt appear all of a sudden, your forefathers were shipped against their will to come work and build infrastructures that they enjoy today. Gradually polices and taxes were implemented to maintain and build more roads. Rome was not built today....today we cant ship people to come build roads or infrastructures, we all have a part to play with our money. Yes the government is corrupt, many ordinary Nigerians are corrupt too, this u know.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by Nobody: 1:55pm On Aug 06, 2019
Angelfrost:

Taxation is not an unwelcome thing... But, taxation without reciprocate value in terms of infrastructure, economic growth, job creation, security, etc, is abhorrent and despicably criminal.

Next time, give better thought to your choice of examples. Thank you.
Need i say more? Thanks jare. Majority trying very hard to be redundantly politically correct.

1 Like

Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by Nobody: 1:56pm On Aug 06, 2019
seunmsg:

They run the government at all levels with your taxes.
yea, they run it AGROUND.
Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by okenwa101(m): 1:58pm On Aug 06, 2019
koboko69:
People want development and keep making noise about how foriegn countries here but are not ready for what the foriegn countries do. Here in the US they task everything u buy, cash, online, debit machines anything. This is just an example of me trying to buy a tv worth over $1000. The tax is about $68 added to the original price of the tv which is 6% of the original cost.

your mind is very shallow, what does US have? they live and maintain their activities from tax. but here over 50yrs oil, farm produce and other mineral resources including tax has been yielding billions of dollars and what have we to show so we could pay more for more development. NOTHING. gerarraaa here meahnnnnn!

when N100 is given to you and we could see atleast N80 work going on and you ask for more then we gladly give to have better infrastructure, not when you have done N5 work and use the rest to party around then you ask people for more, my friend you are attracting a stone close to your head. simple

1 Like

Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by obama30: 1:58pm On Aug 06, 2019
Abdulazeez99:
Nigerians have condemned the Federal Government’s proposed five per cent Value Added Tax (VAT) on online purchases.

The move, the government has said, is to raise revenue to fund the 2019 N8.9 trillion budget.

Executive Chairman of the Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS), Babatunde Fowler, said the government might appoint banks as agents to deduct five per cent VAT on all local online purchases with a bank card.

In an interview, Fowler said the policy could be in place by early next year.

Fowler, however, said the preferred choice for the government would be expanding the country’s tax base rather than increasing existing VAT.

Nigerians have expressed displeasure at the proposed policy which they say would adversely affect tech startups and businesses which have contributed significantly to job creation, Igbere TV reports.

They also fear that the introduction of the policy could add to a growing number of existing charges that bank debit cardholders already face.

Source; http://igberetvnews.com/876489/nigerians-reacts-to-proposed-5-vat-on-online-purchases/

Thank God my business is in abroad where my Tax money is use wisely. Nigeria is just my country by mouth but i don't have anything here.
useless nation. all money from oil is not enough is now about taken from the poor and add to the one rich have. although the masses enjoy it.
Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by FarahAideed: 2:02pm On Aug 06, 2019
OlawaleSmarter0:

This just prove you are a broke ass poverty stricken IPOB yoot

Beat your chest like a gorilla as your people use to do cheesy

I have nothing to prove to you so bounce
Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by Detolanny(m): 2:02pm On Aug 06, 2019
koboko69:

I should have looked at ur moniker b4 quoting u. Everlasting wailer obsessed with Tinubu success, never making sensible or meaningful contribution except extremely childish rhetoric. Even if u buy a thing worth just $3 here in the US, expect to pay 6% extra as tax. You want development but u are not ready for modalities that will bring development. Tmr u compare Nigeria to the US.
I made over $5k last month with over time, over $1k was taken out as Tax, that does not mean if i purchase anything online or in the stores i wont be tax, i will still be taxed. Attached is a pic of me trying to buy a tv from Amazon. See how tax is being added
That is not the argument, the issue here is any item you buy whether online or offline, there is always a 5% VAT element embedded in it, which is even evident in the receipt you attached. But in this contentious case, there is going to be another leg of VAT for using your card to purchase online, which will amount to 10% VAT. This is pure double tax on one item.
Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by koboko69: 2:03pm On Aug 06, 2019
yaki84:

How much is minimum wage bill in the USA pls?

Do u pay monthly rent in the US, do u cut your hair with over 3k naira minimum equivalent to how much used to cut hair here....do u pay ur mechanic by the hour?
Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by Detolanny(m): 2:04pm On Aug 06, 2019
Angelfrost:

Sigh... First off, I take issues with being lumped into the bandwagon scornfully termed "many of you''...

I didn't directly nor indirectly castigate the introduction of taxes and tariffs especially on the well used online markets. I merely pointed out an obvious difference between our nation and others regarding the utilization of generated tax revenues.

I made a very distinct and unassailable point, except you wish to fallaciously submit that taxes and tariffs have not been generated since Buhari came into office...

In previous posts, I have clearly queried the utilization of the extremely high taxes (Trillions if you may) generated in Lagos alone in a single calendar year. So, it's quite untruthful to hold the position that Nigerians are not taxed daily to monthly.

Thank you.
God bless you.
Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by OlawaleSmarter0(m): 2:04pm On Aug 06, 2019
FarahAideed:

I have nothing to prove to you so bounce

You already prove over and over again and I have my prove cheesy
Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by Nobody: 2:06pm On Aug 06, 2019
the nigerian system takes, takes, and takes but doesn't GIVE, and some here compare this system with those whose taxes work for them, those who actually with all intent enjoy the uncountable benefits derived from paying taxes, to a country like Naija that doesn't give a rat's ass about its own citizens and has proven that ALWAYS. E ku allegiance o. Oshisko!

1 Like

Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by drmikeadams(m): 2:09pm On Aug 06, 2019
okenwa101:

your mind is very shallow, what does US have? they live and maintain their activities from tax. but here over 50yrs oil, farm produce and other mineral resources including tax has been yielding billions of dollars and what have we to show so we could pay more for more development. NOTHING. gerarraaa here meahnnnnn!

when N100 is given to you and we could see atleast N80 work going on and you ask for more then we gladly give to have better infrastructure, not when you have done N5 work and use the rest to party around then you ask people for more, my friend you are attracting a stone close to your head. simple

No mind that guy,the yankee Coffee wey e drink dey worry am grin
Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by Detolanny(m): 2:09pm On Aug 06, 2019
FarahAideed:

Do you even know how VAT works at all ? You buharists just keep revealing yourselves are poorly educated all the time. For most goods VAT is collected at wholesale stage and is left for vendors to build it into the cost of every good ..There is nothing you already buy in Nigeria that doesn't have VAT already inbuilt into it
So apt, pls educate them o. This is O-Level Economics.

1 Like

Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by Angelfrost(m): 2:14pm On Aug 06, 2019
Gilbertase:
Need i say more? Thanks jare. Majority trying very hard to be redundantly politically correct.

Boss, the matter tire me o... Our parents were taxed ridiculously by the government both at state and national level from their minimum wages from the day they started work till they retired... Yet, to pay pensions and gratuity remains a huge challenge...

Billions are generated annually from transportation tariffs, yet our roads remain deplorable... We can go on and on.

Who will not pay taxes voluntarily with a smile, if he sees the dividends everywhere he goes?...
Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by TaminaliaCatapa: 2:14pm On Aug 06, 2019
koboko69:

Y'all forget that the good roads didnt appear all of a sudden, your forefathers were shipped against their will to come work and build infrastructures that they enjoy today. Gradually polices and taxes were implemented to maintain and build more roads. Rome was not built today....today we cant ship people to come build roads or infrastructures, we all have a part to play with our money. Yes the government is corrupt, many ordinary Nigerians are corrupt too, this u know.

I don’t like to argue with people who want to win arguments

I don’t also argue with people who don’t open their minds

Peace

2 Likes

Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by BlackBaron: 2:16pm On Aug 06, 2019
Lol. For 5% tax, the whole country is getting annoyed. I hope a day will come where your education would be worth it's weight.
Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by AerialMapper: 2:19pm On Aug 06, 2019
Nothing new in this! Why are we making a fuss

Most items we buy already have VAT included; all the government wants to do is ensure this VAT is remitted. They feel a more effective way will be for the banks to collect and remit on their behalf rather than the vendor who you are purchasing the item from.

For instance, a TV costs 150,000 naira. The price of this TV is actually 142,500 while VAT is 7,500. This means that you only pay 142,500 to the vendor and the bank remits the VAT to the FG.

However, my worry here is that our vendors will now hike the prices of their goods by 5% so that they still get the full price of the item and push the 5% on top to the buyer.
Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by koboko69: 2:20pm On Aug 06, 2019
okenwa101:

Clowns like u forget ur forefathers were shipped abroad and forced to work as slaves, i mean forced labor with little or no wages to make America what it is today. U think its just by taxes
Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by koboko69: 2:20pm On Aug 06, 2019
TaminaliaCatapa:

I don’t like to argue with people who want to win arguments

I don’t also argue with people who don’t open their minds

Peace

Peace..lol
Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by koboko69: 2:22pm On Aug 06, 2019
Kenneth10110:

Its simple don't be a coward come and join us here in Nigeria. So we can pay enough tax to improve our country.
First tell the oil expatriates working in Mobil, shell and other companies to go back to their country. Tell all foreigners who left their countries to work and live in Nigeria to go back to their countries first. I can choose to live and work anywhere i am allowed to in the world. Thanks

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

NANS To Shut Down All Airports Until ASUU Strike Is Over / Jonathan & Okonjo-Iweala Congratulate Amina Mohammed. Nigerians React / 7 Campaign Promises Of Buhari And Osinbajo (Throwback Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.