Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,196 members, 7,880,735 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 05:01 AM

Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React (24631 Views)

FG Implements 7.5% VAT On Diesel, Nigerians Kick / Nigerian Customs To Start Charging VAT On Diesel Imports / Senate Okays 7.5% VAT And 6 Other Tax Hikes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by citygarden(m): 2:24pm On Aug 06, 2019
Even before federal government impose this plan, shoprite have been collecting 5% vAT for long time. We pay VAT of any item we buy from shoprite already. Hope we've not been scam already

4 Likes

Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by futurism: 2:27pm On Aug 06, 2019
theenchanter:
Lol, nigerians want testimony without test.

They want good tidings but don't wanna bring anything to d table.
na poverty go kill u.
Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by jabberjawz: 2:31pm On Aug 06, 2019
Thank God I don't pay tax to these useless thieves.
Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by Nobody: 2:33pm On Aug 06, 2019
This obviously won’t affect Fulani herdsmen and an average northerner in anyway, but if implemented, they will enjoy the benefit more than every other region. One Nigga area!

1 Like

Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by Nobody: 2:33pm On Aug 06, 2019
seunmsg:
We all pay vat when we buy vatable goods by cash. So, what’s wrong with paying vat when we buy vatable goods online? If what you are buying is not excluded by the VAT act, you must pay vat irrespective of whether you’re buying online or paying cash directly.

In addition, FG needs to start imposing income tax on foreign social media platforms like Google, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. All revenues generated by these platforms from Nigeria should be fully subjected to Nigeria taxes.
I agree with you. If I may ask are telecom service providers still paying Information Technology Development Levy?
What happened to stamp duties charges by banks, is it still effective?
Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by yaki84: 2:34pm On Aug 06, 2019
koboko69:

Do u pay monthly rent in the US, do u cut your hair with over 3k naira minimum equivalent to how much used to cut hair here....do u pay ur mechanic by the hour?
Bobo u too dull.
Ayam not in the states, i dey uyo.
U dey compare US to naija n am asking u the minimum wage in the states.

3 Likes

Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by Nobody: 2:34pm On Aug 06, 2019
jabberjawz:
Thank God I don't pay tax to these useless thieves.
Unfortunately you do. You pay it indirectly on calls on your service providers and the things you purchase from stores
Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by Nobody: 2:37pm On Aug 06, 2019
citygarden:
Even before federal government impose this plan, shoprite have been collecting 5% vAT for long time. We pay VAT of any item we buy from shoprite already. Hope we've not been scam already
Shoprite are tax agent to the government. They are mandated to add VAT on whatever thing you buy from them.

2 Likes

Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by Nobody: 2:38pm On Aug 06, 2019
don4real18:
Do not complain if you refused to join the protest. The elites understand how weak you are. I'm still wondering how 5% population can intimidate 95%.
Someone whom I know that gave the government support against the protest by openly condemning it on his social media handle is looking for someone to loan him some money to run out of the country. Imagine the hypocrisy displayed by the young man.
Who is that person?

1 Like

Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by koboko69: 2:39pm On Aug 06, 2019
yaki84:

Bobo u too dull.
Ayam not in the states, i dey uyo.
U dey compare US to naija n am asking u the minimum wage in the states.

Ok..
Enjoy
Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by komodapson(m): 2:41pm On Aug 06, 2019
Ultimus:
I wouldn't be surprised if this includes card payments on the government Remita platform. Imagine paying tax to the government because you want to "pay" them.

In fact...this, I can't comprehend... You pay through remitas without service rendered to Government, you pay tax[color=#006600][/color]
Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by Detolanny(m): 2:44pm On Aug 06, 2019
koboko69:

What state cab u compare with Lagos.
Go play for sand abeg!
Lagos was privileged to be the base of the Colonial Masters during colonial rule. Lagos was privileged to be the Capital of Nigeria for decades during Military rule. Both the Colonial masters and Past Military Head of States invested heavily in Lagos in terms of infrastructures more than other states. Lagos is privileged to have the Organised Private Sector (particularly Multinational Companies), investing in infrastructures in most part of Lagos - especially on the Island. Other States did not enjoy these privileges, which are prerequisites for development except for Abuja. Funny thing is Lagos is the smallest of all the states in Nigeria (in land size) but it generates the most Revenue. 80% of the major roads and bridges you see in Lagos today were built either during the colonial era or Military regime. About 2 decades into this present civilian rule since 1999, despite all the huge revenue from IGR and federal allocation, Lagos is still a glorified slum. So stop making it look as if Lagos is London, Sydney, Paris or Dubai.
I am concerned because I am a Lagosian from Badagry.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by Nobody: 2:46pm On Aug 06, 2019
foolbuster:
Thats the only thing this government is excellent at, taxing the already poverty stricken populace.
I transfer money to you, FG collects cut.
I make purchase online FG collects cut.
On top of it all i will still pay tax.
And we are like close to 200 million people in this shithole.
Yet ordinary 30k minimum wage, they have been speaking grammar for months now.
What a government!!

Oya make we comot protest, for where? all these wretched government E rats on this forum notably . This wickedness you guys are aiding purely for selfish reasons must consume you all.
Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by Nobody: 2:48pm On Aug 06, 2019
Dpharisee:
It means online shops like Jumia and Konga will increase prices of items and everyone will go back to the local markets cheesy
A slight increase in price. For example an infinix phone that cost N35,000 will now cost N36,750( inclusive vat @ 5%). Those online stores will play on the psychology of Nigerians to sell this phone at N37,000 because the difference of N250 would make many Nigerians not to opt in hence they might round the figure.
Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by Lukay99: 2:51pm On Aug 06, 2019
FarahAideed:

Americans see where their taxes are going but Nigerians can't see a thing the govt does with taxes

you speak as if most Nigerians are already paying lots of taxes, almost all Americans pay taxes. even a one day old American baby indirectly pays taxes. very few people in Nigeria actually pay the real taxes. how much did the Nigerian federal government generated from tax when compared to what the American federal, State, city government generated from taxes. can you compare Nigerian federal tax revenues to a common city like Atlanta's tax revenue?

American government can do more infrastructure projects because it gets more tax revenues while the Nigerian government gets very little tax revenue.

we should take your advice and not create more taxes revenues to fund development. just remember that the number one problem in every ministries in Nigeria is funding for needed projects

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by FarahAideed: 3:01pm On Aug 06, 2019
Lukay99:

you speak as if most Nigerians are already paying lots of taxes, almost all Americans pay taxes. even a one day old American baby indirectly pays taxes. very few people in Nigeria actually pay the real taxes. how much did the Nigerian federal government generated from tax when compared to what the American federal, State, city government generated from taxes. can you compare Nigerian federal tax revenues to a common city like Atlanta's tax revenue?

American government can do more infrastructure projects because it gets more tax revenues while the Nigerian government gets very little tax revenue.

we should take your advice and not create more taxes revenues to fund development. just remember that the number one problem in every ministries in Nigeria is funding for needed projects

There is no Nigerian that doesn't pay tax please get your facts right sir

3 Likes

Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by Lukay99: 3:02pm On Aug 06, 2019
obama30:

Thank God my business is in abroad where my Tax money is use wisely. Nigeria is just my country by mouth but i don't have anything here.
useless nation. all money from oil is not enough is now about taken from the poor and add to the one rich have. although the masses enjoy it.

you're abroad depending on a government that doesn't rely on oil revenues but actually taxes its citizens including you heavily. but you'll rather criticize your own government for trying to do the same.

When Nigerian government only depends on oil for our revenue, you guys complained. we all want diversification of our sources of revenue. what will happen if prices of oil fall?

1 Like

Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by Nobody: 3:07pm On Aug 06, 2019
Harsh, but then again, the government has no choice.

Oil is at $70 and below. We need it at $140 and above before we can run a dream budget without borrowing.

It's sad that government has not diversified as promised.
Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by jabberjawz: 3:08pm On Aug 06, 2019
asuustrike1:

Unfortunately you do. You pay it indirectly on calls on your service providers and the things you purchase from stores

Naaa hommie....am not even based in that God forsaken shit place.....I live in a more civil environment where human rights are respected....where we have reasonable leaders.....
Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by Lukay99: 3:08pm On Aug 06, 2019
FarahAideed:

There is no Nigerian that doesn't pay tax please get your facts right sir

what percentage do Nigerians pay in taxes? the main problem is not that we don't have taxes in Nigeria. but how much do we generate from taxation (very little)
Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by DoubleO07: 3:09pm On Aug 06, 2019
don4real18:
Do not complain if you refused to join the protest. The elites understand how weak you are. I'm still wondering how 5% population can intimidate 95%.
Someone whom I know that gave the government support against the protest by openly condemning it on his social media handle is looking for someone to loan him some money to run out of the country. Imagine the hypocrisy displayed by the young man.

Can you imagine that.
So he wants to leave, while he condems those who are putting their lives on the ground to stop the madness the current goverment is doing.

Let him go to Buhari to loan him money naa.

Let him also follow and enjoy the Next level
Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by janeedema(f): 3:09pm On Aug 06, 2019
Nice one! But I'm forced to ask:

What does the government use this money for? I don't think Nigerians will complain if they feel their money is put to good use.

Is the money collected for tax channelled towards world class education, quality health care, affordable housing or efficient transportation system? Please if you have an answer to this, I'm eager to know.

Looted funds recovered are in one imaginary account, and the monies gotten from taxes is used to fund the luxurious lives of those in power, and more ways to keep exploiting us are continually presented to us, and you are advocating that we buy it.

Kindly don't compare us to a nation that have the goodwill of its citizenry at heart-- please! Else you make whatever you say a huge joke, as in naija even the blind can testify to the fact that the government has clearly lost her bearing.

quote author=seunmsg post=80990659]We all pay vat when we buy vatable goods by cash. So, what’s wrong with paying vat when we buy vatable goods online? If what you are buying is not excluded by the VAT act, you must pay vat irrespective of whether you’re buying online or paying cash directly.

In addition, FG needs to start imposing income tax on foreign social media platforms like Google, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. All revenues generated by these platforms from Nigeria should be fully subjected to Nigeria taxes. [/quote]
Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by loomer: 3:09pm On Aug 06, 2019
Nemesis909:

And when would they know this?

Tell me wetin one Gov't for this country done ever do with taxes paid by citizens especially since democracy
Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by Kenneth10110(m): 3:12pm On Aug 06, 2019
koboko69:

First tell the oil expatriates working in Mobil, shell and other companies to go back to their country. Tell all foreigners who left their countries to work and live in Nigeria to go back to their countries first. I can choose to live and work anywhere i am allowed to in the world. Thanks

Just come back am pleading
Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by LiaKnitter: 3:12pm On Aug 06, 2019
SirLakes:
Wow, right thinking government

Kudos grin cheesy

See ur mouth
Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by 9gerian: 3:13pm On Aug 06, 2019
Big Respite to the market women that have been losing sales to online vendors cheesy their prayers are finally answered!

TBH, it seems all Nigerian leaders who so far have been privileged to lead are one and the same. They build castles in the air and fail woefully once given the opportunity that they were crying for. No ideas, no understanding, no experience and most importantly no commitment.

Or how does one explain that this government already takes N50 per banking transactions done per account yet no appreciable infrastructure is in place for the people to be happy about. This same government also deceived the people that it had removed subsidies from petrol at N145 only for it to find its way back into the system, obviously with new reformed beneficiaries and sharing formulas.

Yet the same people claim to be fighting corruption, meanwhile all they do is to connect new looters to the treasury as old ones are being disconnected / prosecuted.

I hope there’s a change of political party leading the next government in 2023 so that we can see the extent of decay wrought by this current one!!!

1 Like

Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by toolovely(m): 3:14pm On Aug 06, 2019
seunmsg:
We all pay vat when we buy vatable goods by cash. So, what’s wrong with paying vat when we buy vatable goods online? If what you are buying is not excluded by the VAT act, you must pay vat irrespective of whether you’re buying online or paying cash directly.

In addition, FG needs to start imposing income tax on foreign social media platforms like Google, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. All revenues generated by these platforms from Nigeria should be fully subjected to Nigeria taxes.
So after paying vat, bank will still deduct their own charges.

If a local store puts a price tag on a commodity with vat inclusive, you decide to pay with your card, and then the bank will deduct another 5% from you again.

If they are really serious, let them introduce property tax. That's where they should start from.

1 Like

Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by Tchange1(m): 3:16pm On Aug 06, 2019
I see more pick pockets on the streets. Konga, Jumia, & etc get ready to start Hawking your goods.
Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by calculusx(m): 3:19pm On Aug 06, 2019
legalwealth:

E rats notably calculusx, gazzuzz etc in the Autos and cartalk sections of this forum are the worst set of people when it comes to greediness, wickedness and selfishness.

"said the government might appoint banks as agents to deduct five per cent VAT on all local online purchases with a bank card"

Did you pass through School or School passed through you? You have a huge problem

2 Likes

Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by effty(m): 3:21pm On Aug 06, 2019
Nemesis909:

Shatap.

I bought an item in the UK for 8.32 and paid a VAT of 1.67 giving a value of exactly 20%.
Keep quiet.

We are already paying VAT on whatsoever we buy here.
Use your head for once.

1 Like

Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by effty(m): 3:23pm On Aug 06, 2019
toolovely:

So after paying vat, bank will still deduct their own charges.

If a local store puts a price tag on a commodity with vat inclusive, you decide to pay with your card, and then the bank will deduct another 5% from you again.

If they are really serious, let them introduce property tax. That's where they should start from.
Thanks for this input.
God bless you with more wisdom.
Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by theenchanter: 3:24pm On Aug 06, 2019
VULCAN:
A supporter of overtaxation

One of the BMC's spotted.

With all the taxes that the three tiers of government pile on businesses you support a new 5% tax on online transactions. How wicked

The current rate of business failure is the greatest it has ever been in our history.

Very obvious you are not a business owner. Probably a student being fed by his parents. Or a disgruntled employee.
its overtly funny d way some of guys bump into useless assumptions.

How's 5% VAT on online transactions an overtaxation? undecided
has firs instituted a vat on online transaction before? undecided

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

NMDPRA: We’re Ready To Issue Petrol Import Licence To Interested Companies / EFCC Boss Magu Blasts Lawyers Defending Looters / Ayu Dodges Wike, Sends NWC Members To Meet Him

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.