Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,600 members, 7,882,052 topics. Date: Saturday, 06 July 2024 at 02:21 PM

Intellectual Humility (& islamic Quotes) - Islam for Muslims (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Intellectual Humility (& islamic Quotes) (36021 Views)

Where Is Allah? An Intellectual Discourse / Humility-an Attribute Of A True Believer / Iranian Shia Intellectual Arrested For Questioning The Core Of Shiism (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Intellectual Humility (& islamic Quotes) by azharuddin: 2:34am On Mar 26, 2011
Abu`d Darda –
” The complete form of taqwa is to fear Allaah so much that one begins to fear Him from the potential sin in a mustard seed and until one leaves what might be halaal in the fear that it could be haraam.”
Re: Intellectual Humility (& islamic Quotes) by azharuddin: 2:52am On Mar 27, 2011
Ibn al-Mubarak said,

“Perhaps a great deed is belittled by an intention.
And perhaps a s[b]mall deed[/b], by a sincere intention, is made great. “
Re: Intellectual Humility (& islamic Quotes) by azharuddin: 2:36am On Mar 28, 2011
Al-Murrudi’ reported that he asked Imam Ahmed: “How are you today?”

He replied:‘How can I be while I am required by my Lord to perform obligatory acts of worship,by my Prophet (‘alayhi salaat wa salaam) to practice his Sunnah,by the two angels to improve my deeds, and my soul urges me to follow it,Shaytaan pushes me to commit evil deeds,the Angel of death is waiting to take my life,and my children are asking me to provide for them?’”

[Siyaar a'laam an Nubalaa 11/227]
Re: Intellectual Humility (& islamic Quotes) by azharuddin: 4:24am On Mar 29, 2011
A woman is a flower vase of beauty and fragrance, so smell her gently, do not wrestle with her .
[Ali Ibn Abi Thalib R.A]
Re: Intellectual Humility (& islamic Quotes) by azharuddin: 2:45am On Mar 30, 2011
"A calamity that brings you closer to Allah is better than the blessing that makes you forget Allah."
[ IBN TAYYIMAH]
Re: Intellectual Humility (& islamic Quotes) by azharuddin: 2:42am On Mar 31, 2011
''Oh son of Adam, sell this World for the hereafter and you win both, sell the hereafter for this World and you lose both."

[ Hassan Basree ]
Re: Intellectual Humility (& islamic Quotes) by azharuddin: 1:45am On Apr 01, 2011
''If a man's patience is stronger than his whims and desires, then he is like an angel,
but if his whims and desires are stronger than his patience, then he is like a devil.
If his desire for food, drink and sex is stronger than his patience, then he is no better than an animal."

- Ibn Qayyim al-Jawziyyah
Re: Intellectual Humility (& islamic Quotes) by azharuddin: 1:58am On Apr 02, 2011
''If you see that your[b] heart is becoming hard [/b]and your body is becoming weak and your provision is decreasing,
know that you are involved in that which doesn't concern you.''
- Malik ibn Dinar
Re: Intellectual Humility (& islamic Quotes) by azharuddin: 1:52am On Apr 03, 2011
"To completely trust in Allah is to be like a child who knows deeply that even if he does not call for the mother, the mother is totally aware of his condition and is looking after him."

[Imam Al Ghazali]
Re: Intellectual Humility (& islamic Quotes) by azharuddin: 2:33am On Apr 04, 2011
''Let the days do as they please, And be optimistic when destiny decrees,
Do not despair due to the events of nights past For the events of this world were not meant to last.”

[ Imam Al Shafi’ee ]
Re: Intellectual Humility (& islamic Quotes) by azharuddin: 2:36am On Apr 05, 2011
"Don't depend too much on anyone in this world because even your own shadow leaves you when you are in darkness."

[Ibn Taymiyyah]
Re: Intellectual Humility (& islamic Quotes) by ifyalways(f): 1:22pm On Apr 05, 2011
azharuddin:

"Don't depend too much on anyone in this world because even your own shadow leaves you when you are in darkness."

[Ibn Taymiyyah]
Nice. smiley
Re: Intellectual Humility (& islamic Quotes) by azharuddin: 2:23am On Apr 06, 2011
"Seeking Knowledge At A Young Age Is Like Engraving On A Stone."
- Hasan al-Basri
Re: Intellectual Humility (& islamic Quotes) by azharuddin: 2:42am On Apr 07, 2011

Your're walking & you see a LION in front of you, you run to get away from it- until you see a cliff. You see a[b] rope[/b] so you climb down it but at the bottom you see a CROCODILE. !

Then you you see BLACK & WHITE MICE nibbling on the rope. You see no escape & feel scared.

Then, DROPS OF HONEY begin to drip into your mouth from a honeycomb above,  Due to the SWEETNESS of the honey, you forget about the danger around you.

This is HOW we live our lives,
THE LION is Malik-Ul -Maut ( angel of death ) who will eventually catch up to us.
THE CROCODILE  is our[b] grave[/b] which we forget about, which is where we will end up, our real home.
The BLACK & WHITE MICE are days & nights that pass by everyday.
HONEY is the world. We are so engrossed in the love of this world that we fail to remember that everyday we are[b] closer to death[/b],

Snap out of the sweetness of the this Life Dear Muslims!!
Re: Intellectual Humility (& islamic Quotes) by azharuddin: 1:46am On Apr 08, 2011
''If you desire Allah to be persistent in granting you the thing you love, be persistent in[b] doing the things He loves[/b].''
- Imam Ahmad ibn Hanbal
Re: Intellectual Humility (& islamic Quotes) by azharuddin: 4:57am On Apr 09, 2011
Du’a, is of the most beneficial cures & it is the enemy of all diseases.
It fights them, and cures them & prevents their occurrence & causes them to be raised up or reduced after its occurrence.
It is the weapon of the believer .

[ Ibn al-Qayyim ]
Re: Intellectual Humility (& islamic Quotes) by azharuddin: 1:45am On Apr 10, 2011
'', Evil is[b] not overcome[/b] with evil. Set off two fires & see if you can put out one with the other. Evil is overcome with good, like fire is put out with water''.

[Luqman al Hakeem]
Re: Intellectual Humility (& islamic Quotes) by azharuddin: 2:45am On Apr 11, 2011
''Good manners is part of taqwa and you cannot have taqwa without good manners''
- Ibn Rajab al-Hanbali
Re: Intellectual Humility (& islamic Quotes) by azharuddin: 2:06am On Apr 12, 2011
''A wrong deed which you regret in your heart is[b] thousand times better [/b]than the good deed that makes you feel Proud."

(Ali Ibn Abi Thalib R.A )
Re: Intellectual Humility (& islamic Quotes) by ifyalways(f): 7:13pm On Apr 12, 2011
azharuddin:

'', Evil is[b] not overcome[/b] with evil. Set off two fires & see if you can put out one with the other. Evil is overcome with good, like fire is put out with water''.

[Luqman al Hakeem]

azharuddin:

''A wrong deed which you regret in your heart is[b] thousand times better [/b]than the good deed that makes you feel Proud."

Words of wisdom.
Re: Intellectual Humility (& islamic Quotes) by azharuddin: 4:06am On Apr 13, 2011
''Whoever learns something in the name of Allah, seeking that which is with Him, he will win.
And whoever learns something for other than Allah, he will not [/b]reach the goal, [b]nor will his acquired knowledge bring him closer to Allah''

[Al-Hasan al-Basree]
Re: Intellectual Humility (& islamic Quotes) by arrashaad: 7:10pm On Apr 13, 2011
azharuddin:

As salaam 'alaykum
being proud of a good deed is one thing, boasting/showing off of it is another. I think what was intended is the later not d former, as being proud(happy) of a good deed dat one does helps in d continuity of such deed.
I believe we are all proud of being muslims.
Re: Intellectual Humility (& islamic Quotes) by azharuddin: 2:50am On Apr 14, 2011
Wa alaikum salaam bro,

What proud here means (as to my knowledge) is being satisfied by ones good deeds. Thinking one has done enough. No one can do 'enough' of good deeds, we should always be humble. Being satisfied with ones good deeds(even without showing off) makes way for arrogance and also we wont try for doing more sunnah deeds if we are already satisfied.

I will give you an example. Its a comparison of two men. First person goes to the Mosque for every salah and he comes early so that he stands in the first row(which is very rewarding). The Second person does salah, but at home. One day the first person becomes late and misses the first row and is standing in the last row. At the same time the other guy decides to go to the Mosque for once and is standing next to him in the last row. Even though both of them are doing Salah side by side, the state of mind of them is very different. The first person is sad and angry with himself that he didnt come early for Salah. The second person is proud and happy with himself that he came for Salah to mosque after a long time. Next day , the first person tries more hard to come early to salah and the second person who is happy with himself doesnt even bother try to go to the mosque.

Basically we should set our standards high, Only then we will try harder to come closer to Allah. If we are happy with ourselves we will stop pushing ourselves and also we will stop focusing on ourselves and start focusing on others faults. I hope you understand bro.

Allah knows best.
Re: Intellectual Humility (& islamic Quotes) by azharuddin: 2:58am On Apr 14, 2011
A Fire once broke out in a house where ‘Alî b. Husayn (رضي الله عنه) was in prostration (sajdah) in prayer.
He didn’t raise his head until the fire went out.
When asked about this he said: "The other Fire(of Hell) kept my mind busy."

Al-Dhahabî in Siyar A’lâm Al-Nubalâ’ under the biography of ‘Alî b. Husayn Zayn Al-‘Âbidîn
Re: Intellectual Humility (& islamic Quotes) by arrashaad: 12:39pm On Apr 14, 2011
azharuddin:

Wa alaikum salaam bro,

What proud here means (as to my knowledge) is being satisfied by ones good deeds. Thinking one has done enough. No one can do 'enough' of good deeds, we should always be humble. Being satisfied with ones good deeds(even without showing off) makes way for arrogance and also we wont try for doing more sunnah deeds if we are already satisfied.

I will give you an example. Its a comparison of two men. First person goes to the Mosque for every salah and he comes early so that he stands in the first row(which is very rewarding). The Second person does salah, but at home. One day the first person becomes late and misses the first row and is standing in the last row. At the same time the other guy decides to go to the Mosque for once and is standing next to him in the last row. Even though both of them are doing Salah side by side, the state of mind of them is very different. The first person is sad and angry with himself that he didnt come early for Salah. The second person is proud and happy with himself that he came for Salah to mosque after a long time. Next day , the first person tries more hard to come early to salah and the second person who is happy with himself doesnt even bother try to go to the mosque.

Basically we should set our standards high, Only then we will try harder to come closer to Allah. If we are happy with ourselves we will stop pushing ourselves and also we will stop focusing on ourselves and start focusing on others faults.  I hope you understand bro.

Allah knows best.

Jazaka Llahu khaira
if as u said proud here means being satisfied wit ones good deed and den relenting, now i understand.

What i was tryin to prevent was doin a good deed/sunnah while one abhors it or, is unhappy wit it, for example a bro keepin his beard or a sis usin d hijab/veil while dislikin it, as dis is part of wat nullifies ones islam, as listed by scholars
Allah knows best.
Re: Intellectual Humility (& islamic Quotes) by azharuddin: 1:13pm On Apr 14, 2011
ar-rashaad:

Jazaka Llahu khaira
if as u said proud here means being satisfied wit ones good deed and den relenting, now i understand.

What i was tryin to prevent was doin a good deed/sunnah while one abhors it or, is unhappy wit it, for example a bro keepin his beard or a sis usin d hijab/veil while dislikin it, as dis is part of wat nullifies ones islam, as listed by scholars
Allah knows best.

Yes you are right, one should not dislike ones good deeds either.
Re: Intellectual Humility (& islamic Quotes) by azharuddin: 2:34am On Apr 15, 2011
"Good manners [/b]is part of [b]taqwa(God fearing) and you cannot have taqwa without good manners."

Ibn Rajab al-Hanbali
Re: Intellectual Humility (& islamic Quotes) by azharuddin: 2:38am On Apr 16, 2011
Four things are eliminated by another four:
Intelligence is eliminated by anger,
Deen is eliminated by jealousy,
Modesty [/b]is eliminated by [b]passion and
Good acts are eliminated by back biting.
Re: Intellectual Humility (& islamic Quotes) by azharuddin: 2:40am On Apr 16, 2011
"Put Aside Your Pride, Set Down Your Arrogance, And Remember Your Grave."
- Ali ibn Abu Talib (radiAllahu anhu)
Re: Intellectual Humility (& islamic Quotes) by azharuddin: 5:58am On Apr 17, 2011
''A believer is a guardian over himself: he accounts himself for Allah.
Those who take account [/b]of themselves [b]in this world will be audited lightly in the Hereafter.
Those who take this issue lightly [/b]will find their [b]auditing very difficult''.

- Hasan al-Basri
Re: Intellectual Humility (& islamic Quotes) by azharuddin: 2:22am On Apr 18, 2011
"The more the servant loves his Master, the less will he love other objects [/b]and they will decrease in number.
The [b]less
the servant loves his Master, the[b] more[/b] will he love other objects and they will increase in number"

[Ibn Taymiyyah]
Re: Intellectual Humility (& islamic Quotes) by azharuddin: 2:29am On Apr 19, 2011
al-Fudayl ibn 'Iyaad said:
"As long as people are doing fine, their true nature is concealed,
but when calamity [/b]strikes, their true natures are revealed,
so the [b]believer [/b]resorts to his Imaan (faith) and
the [b]hypocrite
resorts to his hypocrisy."

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Another Baby Born With Quran In Lagos / Turkish Muslims Have Been Facing The Wrong Direction To Pray For Decades / Imam Leads Prayers During Earthquake In Indonesia! (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.