Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,156 members, 7,884,011 topics. Date: Monday, 08 July 2024 at 09:22 PM

Madam Jonathan And Her English - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Madam Jonathan And Her English (10156 Views)

Jonathan And His Government Steal 400,000 Barrels Of Oil Daily - Tinubu / President Jonathan And His Campaign Team Arrive Onitsha, Anambra State / Patience Jonathan And Her Bad Grammar (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Madam Jonathan And Her English by amefi(m): 12:34pm On Dec 24, 2010
I SUPPOSED SHE MEANT TO SAY MY HUSBAND- GOODLUCK JONATHAN WITH VP- SAMBO IS A QUIET PAIR.
Re: Madam Jonathan And Her English by snowdrops(m): 12:35pm On Dec 24, 2010
~Bluetooth:

Ode
does Turai emabarass us before the whole world ?
So you would rather be "unembarassed" and remain impoverished than the other way round.

Now i can understand why you are the clown of nairaland.
Re: Madam Jonathan And Her English by justise: 12:37pm On Dec 24, 2010
omo_ngbati:

Do you mean what you put in quote above is correct? Let me be clear before I fall the hammer on your head

What I meant was that the error in the statement, when written as it should be written, is in her use of 'people'

Of course the statement as a whole is INCORRECT
Re: Madam Jonathan And Her English by omongbati4: 12:38pm On Dec 24, 2010
snowdrops:

So you would rather be "unembarassed" and remain impoverished than the other way round.

I also thought  he (Bluetooth) is the clown-in-chief of NL. Thanks for confirming
Re: Madam Jonathan And Her English by Eveoeve(f): 12:39pm On Dec 24, 2010
I always find Madam Joe's speeches very funny and cant help laughing whenever i watch her on tv. And there is a way she pronounces her words like a baby grin
And the grammatical errors can burn your ears! grin

www.naturekay..com
Re: Madam Jonathan And Her English by omongbati4: 12:39pm On Dec 24, 2010
justise:

What I meant was that the error in the statement, when written as it should be written, is in her use of 'people'

Of course the statement as a whole is INCORRECT

See as you dey fear/respect me. Water get level. Hahahaha! She can still use the word people there (2).

1. My husband, Dr. GEJ, as well as Sambo, is a quiet person
2. My Husband, Dr. GEJ and Sambo are quiet people
3. My Husband, Dr. GEJ and Sambo are quiet individuals
Re: Madam Jonathan And Her English by justise: 12:41pm On Dec 24, 2010
omo_ngbati:

See as you dey fear/respect me. Water get level. Hahahaha!

Oloshi
May Sango and Lakaye strike you prick

Say Amen!
Re: Madam Jonathan And Her English by omongbati4: 12:43pm On Dec 24, 2010
justise:

Oloshi
May Sango and Lakaye strike you prick

Say Amen!

Sango is what I put my feet under when romancing my ngbatis babe:some wood. The other - Laka blah! blah!! blah!!!- is a nonentity
Re: Madam Jonathan And Her English by Nobody: 12:45pm On Dec 24, 2010
snowdrops:

Are you ok ? who told you patience is not corrupt ?
She is a disgraced to Nigeria.please stop trying to address her as a semi literate,she is an illiterate.
My husband and sambo is a people
Re: Madam Jonathan And Her English by omongbati4: 12:49pm On Dec 24, 2010
~Bluetooth:

Are you ok ? who told you patience is not corrupt ?
She is a disgraced to Nigeria.please stop trying to address her as a semi literate,she is an illiterate.

And you are what (see bolded)? Plus starting sentences in small caps. Quarter illiterate.
Re: Madam Jonathan And Her English by slap1(m): 12:53pm On Dec 24, 2010
amefi:

I SUPPOSED SHE MEANT TO SAY MY HUSBAND- GOODLUCK JONATHAN WITH VP- SAMBO IS A QUIET PAIR.
Na wa o.
Re: Madam Jonathan And Her English by thiscounts(m): 12:56pm On Dec 24, 2010
" MY HUSBAND, DR GOODLUCK JONATHAN AND SAMBO IS A QUIET PEOPLE, " (NTA News)

Hey house!

let me help to cover the blunder we might say she is wrong GRAMMATICALLY but when it comes to SEMANTICS(meaning), maybe she sees the two as one unit/entity,so she could be right.

So lets see how it goes:
MY HUSBAND,DR GOODLUCK JONATHAN IS A QUITE PELSON
           AND
MY HUSBAND,SAMBO IS A QUITE PELSON

That is what I got semantically.Hope she is right under semantics

grin grin grin cheesy cheesy
Re: Madam Jonathan And Her English by justise: 12:57pm On Dec 24, 2010
slap1:

Na wa o.

Na real wa ooooooooooooooooooooooo
That one sef worse pass wetin Dame yarn!

No wonder only 20% of people pass WAEC
Re: Madam Jonathan And Her English by orgasm(m): 12:59pm On Dec 24, 2010
Good for you patience. As for me am is a talkative people o!
Na by force to speak English? Once e hard you speak you go use style mix am wit pidgin n joke as baba iyabo de do am or pause begin look as igbinedion de do am or just vex frown ur face scatter am for brokin as bob izua de do am. Dats wat we call style. Dats wat u need. Comon add some swagga!
Re: Madam Jonathan And Her English by Nobody: 1:01pm On Dec 24, 2010
omo_ngbati:

And you are what (see bolded)? Plus starting sentences in small caps. Quarter illiterate.
Mumu
Instead of you to watch out for syntactic errors,you are looking for typo.However,Jonathan would have been a happy man if he had had a quarter illiterate as a wife. grin grin
Re: Madam Jonathan And Her English by Iysayah(m): 1:03pm On Dec 24, 2010
na wa o, you are guys are more british than the British. abi me self don bomb nairaland now? you just keep painting your stupidity in black and white, even the British understand better when to keep quiet! wink
Re: Madam Jonathan And Her English by omongbati4: 1:06pm On Dec 24, 2010
~Bluetooth:

Mumu
Instead of you to watch out for syntactic errors,you are looking for typo.However,Jonathan would have been a happy man if he had had [/b]a quarter illiterate as a wife. grin grin
[b]had had

You see why you are no better than her?
One had was enough for your sentence, but you had to use two. Olodo rabata.
Re: Madam Jonathan And Her English by chykeo1(m): 1:10pm On Dec 24, 2010
It is well. Nigeria will become better.

Prayers.
Re: Madam Jonathan And Her English by Iysayah(m): 1:11pm On Dec 24, 2010
omo_ngbati:

had had

you guys are simply crazy, grin
Dame needs to hear these, oh i mean this, sorry those, am i making a mistake now?- wole soyinka's proteges
Re: Madam Jonathan And Her English by thweraja10: 1:11pm On Dec 24, 2010
Our Democrazy funny pass nolly wood movies
Re: Madam Jonathan And Her English by Beaf: 1:12pm On Dec 24, 2010
omo_ngbati:

See as you dey fear/respect me. Water get level. Hahahaha! She can still use the word people there (2).

You must be a fool. Every single one of your 3 so called corrections is fcked up. If your English is poor, find ways to sort it (or crack your head on the nearest stone) before you attack others.

Look in the mirror,  Mr. goat brain.
Re: Madam Jonathan And Her English by justise: 1:13pm On Dec 24, 2010
omo_ngbati:

had had

Ode!
It is correct, though it too might seem a bit awkward. To understand “had had,” we need to take a look at the present perfect and past perfect tenses. Take this sentence: “I have had too many chocolates today.” That sentence is in the present perfect tense. You use that tense when you’re talking about a past action that is continuing into the present. This sentence means that I started eating chocolates in the past but the chocolate eating is continuing up to the present. Present perfect tense uses “has” and “have” plus the past participle, as in “have had” and “has gone.”

Although “had had” isn't wrong, one "had" definitely sounds better
Re: Madam Jonathan And Her English by slinkky(m): 1:14pm On Dec 24, 2010
This woman has surpassed both George w Bush and Dan Quayle in speech mishaps. Perhaps this will get her into the Guinness book of records one day as the most inarticulate first lady.
Re: Madam Jonathan And Her English by Nobody: 1:16pm On Dec 24, 2010
omo_ngbati:

had had

I intentionally set a trap for you with that construction and you fell for it.
So you've never see two ''had''s in a sentence before ?
ROTFLMAO
Re: Madam Jonathan And Her English by omongbati4: 1:16pm On Dec 24, 2010
Beaf:

You must be a fool. Every single one of your 3 so called corrections is fcked up. If your English is poor, find ways to sort it (or crack your head on the nearest stone) before you attack others.

Look in the mirror,  Mr. goat brain.

Goat. You must be kidding. I know you are GEJ himself, but I am correct. Take that to the bank. Fisherman
Re: Madam Jonathan And Her English by thweraja10: 1:17pm On Dec 24, 2010
Nairalander too many teachers.lol
Re: Madam Jonathan And Her English by omongbati4: 1:17pm On Dec 24, 2010
~Bluetooth:

I intentionally set a trap for you with that construction and you fell for it.
So you've never see two ''had''s in a sentence before ?
ROTFLMAO

Olodo. You are completely wrong.

Now, yet another blunder (see bolded). Just give it up, you are as empty as Mrs Jonathan.
Re: Madam Jonathan And Her English by freecocoa(f): 1:21pm On Dec 24, 2010
Iysayah:

[b]na wa o, you guys are more british than the British.
I tire o,please you guys should let the woman be,being able to speak good english is not a guarantee to be a good first lady,its not a must that every nigerian must know how to speak good english,she just fell into the category of those who can't speak fluently so can we leave it alone already?afterall english is a borrowed language,let the white man come and speak her language perfectly let me see.RUBBISH.
Re: Madam Jonathan And Her English by KnowAll(m): 1:21pm On Dec 24, 2010
To avoid Madame first ladies admissible mistake, I advise all u undergraduates & graduates wen u are looking for a wife, make una no follow woman wey get big yansh & or curvisious bobby, her English fit be zero, but having said I still see nothing wrong in making mistake in borrowed language.
Re: Madam Jonathan And Her English by Beaf: 1:22pm On Dec 24, 2010
omo_ngbati:

Goat. You must be kidding. I know you are GEJ himself, but I am correct. Take that to the bank. Fisherman

Small brained platypus. Tell me which of these three fcked up sentences you proffered is grammatically correct:

Tell me, point it out, fool.
Next time, look in the mirror before pointing fingers only to turn round and commit murder.

Daft punk. English is not our problem and should never be, except for empty headed, pre-evolved neanderthals.
Re: Madam Jonathan And Her English by justise: 1:22pm On Dec 24, 2010
omo_ngbati:

Olodo. You are completely wrong.

Now, yet another blunder (see bolded). Just give it up, you are as empty as Mrs Jonathan.

Now look at you.
Are you married to Mrs. Jonathan?
Re: Madam Jonathan And Her English by omongbati4: 1:22pm On Dec 24, 2010
justise:

Ode!
It is correct, though it too might seem a bit awkward. To understand “had had,” we need to take a look at the present perfect and past perfect tenses. Take this sentence: “I have had too many chocolates today.” That sentence is in the present perfect tense. You use that tense when you’re talking about a past action that is continuing into the present. This sentence means that I started eating chocolates in the past but the chocolate eating is continuing up to the present. Present perfect tense uses “has” and “have” plus the past participle, as in “have had” and “has gone.”

Although “had had” isn't wrong, one "had" definitely sounds better

This is not about amala dudu.
Dude was wrong with his two hads
Why complicate issues when you could use one had or say had taken , or had married, (replacing the second had with taken or married)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

PDP Won’t Accept ‘fake Results’ In 2019 – Secondus / AU Denies Endorsing Abdel-Hamid Mamdouh, Egyptian Candidate For WTO Top Job / PDP Campaign Rally In Gummi, Anka LGs, Zamfara State (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.