Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,134 members, 7,883,946 topics. Date: Monday, 08 July 2024 at 07:29 PM

Madam Jonathan And Her English - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Madam Jonathan And Her English (10155 Views)

Jonathan And His Government Steal 400,000 Barrels Of Oil Daily - Tinubu / President Jonathan And His Campaign Team Arrive Onitsha, Anambra State / Patience Jonathan And Her Bad Grammar (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Madam Jonathan And Her English by goggs(m): 4:04pm On Dec 24, 2010
cut the lady some slack! english is not her language. Ask her to read a speech in her native tongue and you'll hear the 'queens' version. Even George Bush goofs sometimes. (will post link later)
Re: Madam Jonathan And Her English by angelo5uk(m): 4:09pm On Dec 24, 2010
YOU GUYS ARE ALL BIG F, O.OLS,
IS ENGLISH OUR OWN NATURAL LANGUAGE, ?
NA SO INA CARRY OYINBO MAN PROPERTY FOR HEAD,
THE WHITE MAN HAS BRAIN WASHED YOU AND NOW YOU VALUE THE WHITE MANS LANGUAGE THAN YOUR OWN MOTHER TONGUE
IF A NIGERIAN DOES NOT SPEAK HIS OWN LOCAL LANGUAGE WELL YOU GUYS WONT COMPLAIN BUT IF HE MAKES A TINY ERROR IN ENGLISH LANGUAGE YOU ALL WILL SHOUT, AS IF THE WHITES MAN LANGUAGE IS MORE PRECIOUS THAN OUR OWN LANGUAGE,
IF I WERE TO BE THE PRESIDENT OF THIS COUNTRY TODAY?,
I WILL PUT IT AS A RULE THAT YOU MUST PASS AT LEAST ONE NIGERIAN LOCAL LANGUAGE BEFORE YOU O;LEVEL WILL BE CONSIDERED COMPLETE,
BIG FO, O.LS
Re: Madam Jonathan And Her English by Nobody: 4:11pm On Dec 24, 2010
holydante:

You carry your own join too shocked shocked
Ara ga agba ndi ara.

Meanwhile the woman that spake the spoke has forgotten about it and is planning on her Xmas celebrations and speaking another, folks are tearing their fingers on hard keyboard undecided
wey you. . .stop spoking farnakula else i reported you to the mods.Dame must be damn ! grin grin grin
Re: Madam Jonathan And Her English by appletango: 4:22pm On Dec 24, 2010
goggs:

cut the lady some slack! english is not her language. Ask her to read a speech in her native tongue and you'll hear the 'queens' version. Even George Bush goofs sometimes. (will post link later)

surely a basic requirement for any First Lady should be an ability to communicate effectively in the country's OFFICIAL LANGUAGE.
Re: Madam Jonathan And Her English by deadie(m): 4:23pm On Dec 24, 2010
Chai Chineke, where you dey sef? Abeg country people, time to make Pidgin official. She reminded me like one woman in my village that greets "Good many" in the the morning when there are more than one person to greet. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Madam Jonathan And Her English by cuteonyii(m): 4:51pm On Dec 24, 2010
My OP is that. English language is not a criteria to be a Nigerian President's wife. NO one is perfect. she might be a good wife, but do not know how to speak good English. who cares? which one do we want?
USING GOOD GRAMMAR TO STEAL OUR MONEY OR
USING POOR GRAMMAR TO BUILD OUR ECONOMY?
Re: Madam Jonathan And Her English by Nobody: 4:56pm On Dec 24, 2010
Now I know NLs formed bulk of the 80% candidates that failed WAEC this Nov/Dec, None of U is sure on the CORRECT sentence Madam GEJ should have made used of, Shame to U all!
Re: Madam Jonathan And Her English by deadie(m): 4:58pm On Dec 24, 2010
cuteonyii:

My OP is that. English language is not a criteria to be a Nigerian President's wife. NO one is perfect. she might be a good wife, but do not know how to speak good English. who cares?  which one do we want?
USING GOOD GRAMMAR TO STEAL OUR MONEY OR
USING POOR GRAMMAR TO BUILD OUR ECONOMY?

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked Uhm, how exactly does one "USE POOR GRAMMAR TO BUILD OUR ECONOMY?"
Re: Madam Jonathan And Her English by yeye4live(m): 5:01pm On Dec 24, 2010
she needs to go back to school , period , her blunder is now becoming too much
Re: Madam Jonathan And Her English by pkasso(m): 5:03pm On Dec 24, 2010
shocked shocked shocked shocked.First Lady abeg o!!!!!!
Re: Madam Jonathan And Her English by steroid: 5:06pm On Dec 24, 2010
galek:

Now I know NLs formed bulk of the 80% candidates that failed WAEC this Nov/Dec,  None of U is sure on the CORRECT sentence Madam GEJ should have made used of,  Shame to U all!

Please correct yourself.
Re: Madam Jonathan And Her English by olafolarin(m): 5:11pm On Dec 24, 2010
galek:

Now I know NLs formed bulk of the 80% candidates that failed WAEC this Nov/Dec, None of U is sure on the CORRECT sentence Madam GEJ should have made used of, Shame to U all!

You obviously failed WAEC too,

Besides, Madam GEJ is from Okrika and we all know what that represents,
Re: Madam Jonathan And Her English by truuz: 5:24pm On Dec 24, 2010
Dis is murder! To speak English Language nor be by force o! A bill should be passed 4d sake of Gej .
Re: Madam Jonathan And Her English by eherbal(m): 5:44pm On Dec 24, 2010
We all err grammatically one way or the other;madam you're excused ma.
Re: Madam Jonathan And Her English by Nobody: 6:02pm On Dec 24, 2010
This post has been hidden
Re: Madam Jonathan And Her English by philip0906(m): 6:03pm On Dec 24, 2010
@mrs jona and replies
    *faints*
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Madam Jonathan And Her English by opabukun(m): 6:04pm On Dec 24, 2010
GRAMMAR NO BE MY,
U PHEOPHLE WEY FIT BLOW BIG BIG GRAMMAR, NO DEY BIG PLACE.
GRAMMAR MY FOOT! TALK MAKE I UNDERSTAND NA HIN GET WORLD!!
GBAM!!!
Re: Madam Jonathan And Her English by 1United1: 6:10pm On Dec 24, 2010
[/quote]Obviously, your English is not better than Dame's
The error in the sentence has got nothing to do with grammar

The only mistake she made is that she used 'people' where she ought to have used 'person'
And this is a mistake we all make on a daily basis
And why should she be prosecuted for a common mistake; after all, she is human like the rest of us?

Above all, remove the log in your eyes before trying to correct someone else!

The correct statement goes thus:[quote]

And you are still talking about 20% failing English Language, with people like you as teachers we should be expecting less than 5% to pass next year. sad sad sad sad
Re: Madam Jonathan And Her English by Reference(m): 6:10pm On Dec 24, 2010
I disagree with those reaching for the escape hatch. We have perhaps over three hundred languages and dialects in Nigeria of which english fortunately or unfortunately is accepted as our lingua-franca. It is not the language of my ancestors neither is it of yours but we must if we have to communicate. Now we know communication is critical for public office holders so her office/staff should be aware of the grave implications of not getting the message across effectively. Blimey, people will be laughing their heads off at the expense of what she says. This is a big minus to her social bank, a big no, no in my opinion. I can't confirm this but some seem to have noticed an improvement in her speaking or speech making over time but when you consider the period her husband has spent on the political stage - I would start from his position as a commissioner to the presidency - a good six to eight years now ?? PCMIW, how can you justify this. I hardly call this progress. Please, please, please, let us not call English a borrowed language. It is our language. Do we expect her to speak to Nigerians or the world in Ijaw? And if Angela Merkel, Sarkozy, Medvedev, Arnold Schwarzenegger, can learn and communicate in english Madam First Lady has no excuse whatsoever. For goodness sake she wasn't born before the British colonised the Niger.
Re: Madam Jonathan And Her English by 1United1: 6:12pm On Dec 24, 2010
Obviously, your English is not better than Dame's
The error in the sentence has got nothing to do with grammar

The only mistake she made is that she used 'people' where she ought to have used 'person'
And this is a mistake we all make on a daily basis
And why should she be prosecuted for a common mistake; after all, she is human like the rest of us?

Above all, remove the log in your eyes before trying to correct someone else!

The correct statement goes thus:
And you are still talking about 20% failing English Language, with people like you as teachers we should be expecting less than 5% to pass next year. sad sad sad sad
Re: Madam Jonathan And Her English by oderemo(m): 6:12pm On Dec 24, 2010
been a gd read 4 me.
make una carry go .
i dey lafuuuuuuuuuuu oh.
Re: Madam Jonathan And Her English by Blazing99: 6:29pm On Dec 24, 2010
angelo5uk:

THE WHITE MAN HAS BRAIN WASHED YOU AND NOW YOU VALUE THE WHITE MANS LANGUAGE THAN YOUR OWN MOTHER TONGUE
IF A NIGERIAN DOES NOT SPEAK HIS OWN LOCAL LANGUAGE WELL YOU GUYS WONT COMPLAIN BUT IF HE MAKES A TINY ERROR IN ENGLISH LANGUAGE YOU ALL WILL SHOUT, AS IF THE WHITES MAN LANGUAGE IS MORE PRECIOUS THAN OUR OWN LANGUAGE,
I WILL PUT IT AS A RULE THAT YOU MUST PASS AT LEAST ONE NIGERIAN LOCAL LANGUAGE BEFORE YOU O;LEVEL WILL BE CONSIDERED COMPLETE,
BIG FO, O.LS

@ Angelo5uk, I'm amazed with ur level of insanity. English is the national language of Nigeria, yeah the white man gave it to us but this common language we share brings all tribes of different languages in Nigeria together. So everyone is expected to understand it. So for a woman at a very National level who can't speak this language correctly, it is an obvious shame. Perhaps she shud be sent back to her village where she can communicate in her Rivers language more fluently without being criticised.
Re: Madam Jonathan And Her English by aljharem11(m): 6:32pm On Dec 24, 2010
angelo5uk:

BIG FO, O.LS

i think since english is the national language, she is meant to speak that language properly undecided

so what are you talking about undecided undecided
Re: Madam Jonathan And Her English by Nobody: 6:49pm On Dec 24, 2010
1 United:

ROTFL
my husband and sambo is a quiet people
Re: Madam Jonathan And Her English by BadExample: 6:50pm On Dec 24, 2010
Na una get the english, Na she the spend the money. Make una dey worry una selves, Shioo
Re: Madam Jonathan And Her English by ladej(m): 7:00pm On Dec 24, 2010
her name may be Patience. she is patient alright, a patient bomb grin

BadExample:

Na una get the english, Na she the spend the money. Make una dey worry una selves, Shioo
trueeeeeeeeeeee
angelo5uk:

BIG FO, O.LS

you do have a point though. nigeria has 521 languages. 520 arent english.
Re: Madam Jonathan And Her English by Nobody: 7:10pm On Dec 24, 2010
I dont know why some people are defending this woman unnecessarily.In as much as i believe no one is perfect,she made a mistake n as d first lady,it is unacceptabl, and wat is it with 'its not our native language', if you tink so,i guess we dont need u here,abi if na yoruba i take write all these,ow many people go understand
Re: Madam Jonathan And Her English by royalboy2k3: 7:39pm On Dec 24, 2010
Left her alone does u people know how to spoke English?
Re: Madam Jonathan And Her English by Dimka76(m): 7:40pm On Dec 24, 2010
Well, people will always murder English. Raji Rasaki was much worse! grin

I don't want to say much becos I am a quiet peoples too.  grin
Re: Madam Jonathan And Her English by tellwisdom: 8:33pm On Dec 24, 2010
MY HUSBAND, DR GOODLUCK JONATHAN AND SAMBO IS A QUIET PEOPLE

Gbu hahahaha!! kor!! kor!! kor!! Gbu ha ha ha ha! Dis woman no go kill me with grammer!
Re: Madam Jonathan And Her English by tellwisdom: 8:39pm On Dec 24, 2010
Many of you guyz are saying english isnt our Language, since d woman knw sey english no be awi language, why she come dey talk am in d first place, grin grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin I dey laff oo
Re: Madam Jonathan And Her English by Machux2010(m): 8:46pm On Dec 24, 2010
She may be wrong in her grammer but she can still speak better than some oyibos and many Niaja. That is not my wahalla, let Nigeria be better governed by our leaders, after all the people she addressed understood her. So, let's pray for good government next year and stop wasting time on trivial jokes.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Osinbajo: APC Focused On Common Man Welfare / PDP Campaign Rally In Gummi, Anka LGs, Zamfara State (Pictures) / PDP Won’t Accept ‘fake Results’ In 2019 – Secondus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.