Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,278 members, 7,916,824 topics. Date: Saturday, 10 August 2024 at 12:02 PM

What Keeps A Marriage Together - Love Or Respect? - Family (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Keeps A Marriage Together - Love Or Respect? (32772 Views)

What Will You Do In A Marriage Like Mine? / What Keeps A Woman In Marriage? / Why Does Sex Slowly Die Off In A Marriage After 10+ Years?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Keeps A Marriage Together - Love Or Respect? by uche393: 4:13pm On Jun 10, 2020
Love, Respect and Loyalty can be In existence in a marriage under Pretence.
Understanding one another is Makes a lasting and a better marriage
Re: What Keeps A Marriage Together - Love Or Respect? by Emma1Oj(m): 4:13pm On Jun 10, 2020
Righteousness89:

Wife Submit to Husband
Husband Love your wife

Every other thing falls in place..
can u submit to someone you don't love?
Re: What Keeps A Marriage Together - Love Or Respect? by Centcanada: 4:17pm On Jun 10, 2020
50% of both! Thank u
Re: What Keeps A Marriage Together - Love Or Respect? by samguru(m): 4:19pm On Jun 10, 2020
Munzy14:

I totally disagree with the bolded.

example; You respect someone u work for because he/she is your boss.
work ethics demands so. But he/she might be a pain in the azz that u hate so much.

I think love takes respect wherever it goes, but respect doesn't most times.

Understanding each other is key in every relationship, In addition to getting the right partner who will.

You dont genuinely love your boss, you are just faking that respect to keep your job.

In this context, we cannot fake respect does not translate to love
Re: What Keeps A Marriage Together - Love Or Respect? by edward1106(m): 4:21pm On Jun 10, 2020
Fountainofyouth:

Nope, it's the other way round,

Husband love your wife
Wife submit to husband

Love comes before submission, and when these two are present, respect comes naturally.

Lady, the way I see it, both simple statements are independent of one another. And it doesn't matter which comes first.
I have seen a man love his wife who isn't/wasn't submissive. Also, have I seen a woman being submissive to man who doesn't love her at all, and most times wonder how they met in the first place.
Surprisingly, for the latter case, at point in time, you know when you keep on maltreating someone and such person still remains good and submissive to you, even the devil at a time will tell you enough is enough. The man later became the best of loving husbands. So it doesn't matter which comes first, your sincerity and manner in love/submission can go a long way in affecting an unyielding heart.
My opinion from 'non-self' experience.
Re: What Keeps A Marriage Together - Love Or Respect? by Collins87: 4:22pm On Jun 10, 2020
Respect comes before love, respect can go because of the later attitude of the partner! Love diminishes because of the absence of respect.
Re: What Keeps A Marriage Together - Love Or Respect? by AristocraticMe: 4:27pm On Jun 10, 2020
johnrix:
Married men in the house, which do you see keeps your marriage - love for your wife or Respect for her?

On one hand, one lady who is all nice and sweet, puts all her emotions into the rship, but her attitude, intellect needs some work. You are ready to help build her, educate her but you fear you might not respect that much. Her dream is a loving husband.

On the other hand, another lady, is not the loving/romantic type type, a little cold, but she is responsible and smart. You respect her a lot, but it looks, you will both have to grow the love. She'll have the tendency, say any disrespect, I'm packing my bags instead of working things out. Her primary focus is to be respected in her marriage.

Lastly, what do you ladies want? I hear some women say love, some say respect, some say both. It varies based on those who believe strongly in love vs those who don't want disrespect from their husbands. But one thing is sure, most women deep down want one over the other.
Love definitely. 100%. With love respect will come naturally...... with Love correction will be taken, with Love attitude can be changed........ no body is perfect but with LOVE any relationship can stand the test of time.

Respect is okay. But Respect does not care, respect does not compromise, respect does not sacrifice. Love does all that. Even bible talked about LOVE......The definition from the bible sums it all.
Re: What Keeps A Marriage Together - Love Or Respect? by bezimo(m): 4:27pm On Jun 10, 2020
I think both..the man loving his wife and the wife submitting and respecting him..i think couples that commit to these biblical principles have the best marriage..

1 Like

Re: What Keeps A Marriage Together - Love Or Respect? by Psoul(m): 4:28pm On Jun 10, 2020
You can't love someone u don't respect and you can't respect someone you don't love.

They're mutually dependent

1 Like

Re: What Keeps A Marriage Together - Love Or Respect? by Tareq1105: 4:37pm On Jun 10, 2020
MightySparrow:
both, some times none

With Respect for each other, you both will grow the Love.
Re: What Keeps A Marriage Together - Love Or Respect? by SweetDipBenny(m): 4:37pm On Jun 10, 2020
Dont know about luv but u must give me
my respect ✊

1 Like

Re: What Keeps A Marriage Together - Love Or Respect? by kumulus(m): 4:39pm On Jun 10, 2020
Both!

...for they are one and same, only in this case manifesting as UNDERSTANDING.

-Lloyd
Re: What Keeps A Marriage Together - Love Or Respect? by ekpeukwu: 4:40pm On Jun 10, 2020
Chuku-chuku!!
Re: What Keeps A Marriage Together - Love Or Respect? by Sososo(f): 4:40pm On Jun 10, 2020
Respect gidi gan. Who love epp
Re: What Keeps A Marriage Together - Love Or Respect? by KanwuliaExtra: 4:41pm On Jun 10, 2020
omoharry:
grin grin grin grin grin..Funny enough there are some guys that very loving and responsible.Its just that they are few and they love people that do not love and appreciate them. I believe some good loving and well brought up guys are available but they are like diamond that we have to look very well .
However, the nuisance and the irresponsible ones are available every where.They are the regulars Joes' in and about town and in churches. Dont worry, Love will come to you and do not let some irresponsible nuisance to make you think it does not exist among Nigerians men.

Abeggggggggi!
I don tok my own o. cheesy
Love and respect gwa kwa okwu dia!
I nor wan dem 419 LIE-LIE LOVE! grin
Respect with a woman SLAVING to to earn income, maintain home and raise children with ZERO assistance from the philandering, “loving and respectful” oaf of a husband? grin

I don hear!

That 1% you are talking about, I haven’t seen o.
Including the oloshi I have in my house. cheesy
Re: What Keeps A Marriage Together - Love Or Respect? by KanwuliaExtra: 4:43pm On Jun 10, 2020
eni4real:
No married woman will type this undecided

You mean no WOMAN not married to a Nigerian man? grin

There are many married Nigerian women on Nairaland o. Let them come and share what their eyes, noses and ears have perceived all in the name of marriage.

Oya o! Wey awon “trust and obey” Chrislamic housewives of NL!

I don tok my own. cheesy
Re: What Keeps A Marriage Together - Love Or Respect? by LordKO(m): 4:44pm On Jun 10, 2020
tope6218:

What kind of nonsense is this? I hope no one falls for your scam. Your deliberate change of my comment and imposition of your products show that you are a scam. I hope one of the mods will do the needful - @RoyalRoy, take note.
Re: What Keeps A Marriage Together - Love Or Respect? by geesilver(m): 4:45pm On Jun 10, 2020
tolerance and endurance
Re: What Keeps A Marriage Together - Love Or Respect? by Kuffyeffy: 4:45pm On Jun 10, 2020
Listening to the originator of family life is what will keep marriage together.
Read here: https://www.jw.org/finder?srcid=jwlshare&wtlocale=E&prefer=lang&docid=1102013390
Re: What Keeps A Marriage Together - Love Or Respect? by Sososo(f): 4:47pm On Jun 10, 2020
Sososo:
Respect gidi gan. Who love epp
respect goes both ways and men are the respect freaks. They always want � respect from women
Re: What Keeps A Marriage Together - Love Or Respect? by na2016: 4:49pm On Jun 10, 2020
RESPECT will always keep the home... It is respect for your spouce that will make a man not cheat. It is the respect for his own family that will make him live responsibly. RESPECT RESPECT RESPECt
Re: What Keeps A Marriage Together - Love Or Respect? by brainhgeek(m): 4:57pm On Jun 10, 2020
A delicate mixture of mutual respect and sacrificial love
Re: What Keeps A Marriage Together - Love Or Respect? by openmine(m): 5:05pm On Jun 10, 2020
you can't love someone that you don't respect!
Re: What Keeps A Marriage Together - Love Or Respect? by titusmichael27(m): 5:06pm On Jun 10, 2020
I'm still single anyway! love or respect is not something you just hand over, it has to be earned and we need both in marriage. Moreover, a real man doesn't really need to be loved but to be respected in all things and in all places. However, a woman on the other hand need no respect from a man but to be loved, that's to say, to be pampered like an egg, been cared for in all things and in all places. Finally, when a man care for a woman, pampered her, he automatically earned the respect he deserves from a woman, and when a woman yields (give in) to the enticings of a man care and focus, she automatically earned the love she deserves from a man. You can now agree with me that a man needs money, you don't want money, you need it. work your bud off, fix yourself before you start looking for a wife and i give you my promise that you can marry and any kind or type of woman if you are fixed. EEGOO, OWO, OKOK, SIKA ,MONEY!!!
Re: What Keeps A Marriage Together - Love Or Respect? by simplesearch: 5:09pm On Jun 10, 2020
Respect? too flimsy and foible, it cannot stand the test of time, it will even hinder couples from properly blending together, which is required to successfully sail through many marital storms which of course is inevitable, afterall life is not a bed of roses. Love? yes! but must be real, deep and sacrificial.This is God's kind of love and it alone can keep a home, Amorous and infuated love soon fade a way like shadows in a dark night.
Re: What Keeps A Marriage Together - Love Or Respect? by Primesky(m): 5:14pm On Jun 10, 2020
Marriage requires effort and commitment from the partners.

There has to be Love, mutual understanding and respect, proper communication and forgiveness.
Re: What Keeps A Marriage Together - Love Or Respect? by jojoseph(m): 5:24pm On Jun 10, 2020
johnrix:
Married men in the house, which do you see keeps your marriage - love for your wife or Respect for her?

On one hand, one lady who is all nice and sweet, puts all her emotions into the rship, but her attitude, intellect needs some work. You are ready to help build her, educate her but you fear you might not respect that much. Her dream is a loving husband.

On the other hand, another lady, is not the loving/romantic type type, a little cold, but she is responsible and smart. You respect her a lot, but it looks, you will both have to grow the love. She'll have the tendency, say any disrespect, I'm packing my bags instead of working things out. Her primary focus is to be respected in her marriage.

Lastly, what do you ladies want? I hear some women say love, some say respect, some say both. It varies based on those who believe strongly in love vs those who don't want disrespect from their husbands. But one thing is sure, most women deep down want one over the other.

Both respect and love are necessary in any marriage. But most importantly a man has to know what he wants out of life and looks for a woman to share the dreams. This is what i did when i met my wife in the university over 40years ago and it's still working.
Re: What Keeps A Marriage Together - Love Or Respect? by ngwababe(f): 5:25pm On Jun 10, 2020
Nothing keeps the marriage. Na just decision of " I don marry be say I don marry, no going back" dey keep marriage.
Re: What Keeps A Marriage Together - Love Or Respect? by bigl: 5:25pm On Jun 10, 2020
johnrix:

Respect and love are part of the equation but they are not the main thing that keeps a relationship together!

One of the major factor is the will to not just get married but to "stay married".

Love is not enough to keep a marriage!

There are a lot of factors!

For instance, no matter how strong your love for each other is, something will happen that will make u get mad at your partner and the hot love gets cold and frozen like ice block!

What happens?

Friendship! Friendship built will keep you people going and from there, the spark of love will reignite and love continues!

That's just one of it sha!

Don't forget the God factor
Re: What Keeps A Marriage Together - Love Or Respect? by PhilipReigns(m): 5:27pm On Jun 10, 2020
johnrix:

Finance
Re: What Keeps A Marriage Together - Love Or Respect? by Bejusttoall: 5:28pm On Jun 10, 2020
Both

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

HELP: My 3 Year Old Son Can't Do Without Cartoons, Stays Awake Till Morning / My Husband Subjects Me To Marathon Sex For Ritual, Woman Tells Court / Twins Born In Spain Joined Hands After Birth

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.