Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,198,130 members, 7,967,185 topics. Date: Saturday, 05 October 2024 at 01:23 PM

61mech's Posts

Nairaland Forum / 61mech's Profile / 61mech's Posts

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (of 9 pages)

Foreign Affairs / Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by 61mech: 3:02pm On Apr 12, 2018
Its a shame 8sai lost the use of Riemvasmaak for training. It was excellent terrain for infantry(bush fase) and the airforce. Especially Rooivalk. They also had a mock airbase with SAM sites laid out for bombing if memory serves me right.
They could have leased it back from the new land owners giving them an income. From what I've heard the locals aren't dion to well on living of the land. It was easily the harshest training area in the country at the time. Ask the old guys about "Pink Myn" and "Angel"

Frumentum:

Your old stomping ground, 8SAI for the day pics. 5SAI, Ladysmith for the night pics.

Foreign Affairs / Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by 61mech: 2:23pm On Apr 10, 2018
7.62x51 Lots of FAL and G-3's still being carried.

Odunayaw:
Am I missing something? What 3X AR cal.
5.56×45 ,7.62×39 & ??
Foreign Affairs / Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by 61mech: 1:55pm On Apr 10, 2018
Nigeria should concentrate on standardising on calibers before buying more infantry weapons. 3x assault rifle cal., 2x LMG cal. and 2x 12.7 cal. That's got to be a nightmare for your log guys. It can be deadly in a hot war. Wrong truck showing up with an incompatible cal. to your unit can be a disaster. Logistics f-ups happens all the time in the fog of war. Imagine the nightmare you'll have using diesel and petrol vehicles mixed together in your unit.

Argue about weapons after you've selected a cal. that works for you. That would make it a lot easier to set up local ammo production too.

lionel4power:
we tend to avoid SA made products...

4 Likes

Foreign Affairs / Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by 61mech: 1:33pm On Apr 10, 2018
That range looks familiar. Where is it ?
8SAI ?

Frumentum:
SANDF various...

Foreign Affairs / Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by 61mech: 3:22pm On Apr 08, 2018
2 systems with the same daddy. (Dr. Bull)

Hrmnn:
What looks suspiciously like a G6 discovered in Iraq.

Foreign Affairs / Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by 61mech: 2:57pm On Apr 07, 2018
Too heavy ,too slow. You need speed and range for COIN ops.
Insurgents will just get in their Toyotas and drive away if they see you coming in that. Guerrilla warfare doesn't rely on holding ground. You need light wheeled vehicles so you can run them down "African wild dog" style.
Nigeria should take the opportunity to buy the surplus Ratels that will become available when Hoefyster production ramps up. There are many upgrade options for that vehicle and you could buy a platoons worth for the price of one MBT.

giles14:
guys how possible is it to convert our Vickers n t55 MBT to combat support vehicle(eg russian bmpt). since our BMP 1 are very few in number.

8 Likes

Foreign Affairs / Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by 61mech: 2:17pm On Apr 04, 2018
Our GPMG gunners ended their service with huge biceps. One of the most important parts on a MG is a nice wide leather sling.

CaptainStephen:
Its very remarkable, the unluckly fellow dont have to grumble when issued a gpmg for a route march.

1 Like

Foreign Affairs / Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by 61mech: 2:12pm On Apr 04, 2018
I read somewhere that some British troops kept worn out spare barrels with them, so that they could swap them out when they needed a bigger beaten zone or spread.

patches689:

This.

AA guns of that vintage arent designed to be accurate, they are designed to fire in a "cone". That way all the operator has to focus on is getting the correct lead on his target, while all the pilot will see is tracer flying all over the place (and hopefully lose his cool). Its about area-denial more than anything.

On a side note, there have been a number of military weapons throughout history that have had a problem with being too accurate - in ww2 the Bren gun was too accurate for its role, the infamous German 88 mm was too accurate for AA and in WW1 the french 75mm feild gun was too accurate for strategic bombardment.

- Bren was too accurate because it didnt fire in a "cone" thus its suppression and area-denial was limited. Interestingly the Bren was so accurate that many were used as DMR's.
- the German 88 was too accurate for WW2 stragetic AA defence, and as such required constant fusing are ranging adjustments for area denial. Something that became problematic in the end of the war when gunners didnt get much training
- same deal with the French 75mm.

Foreign Affairs / Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by 61mech: 6:06pm On Apr 03, 2018
Saw the quote. Still very strange.
I'd imagine you'd need to re-tool some of your manufacturing to get it to work. That's an expensive process. Not as simple as just making some parts longer on the CNC.
Even if it was someone's side project, I still don't understand why you go to that cal. It would be like someone in the UK making a 303 assault rifle.
Make hell of a lot more sense if they converted it to 7.62x54 Russian. I think the old czech GPMG used a push through system for the rimmed 7.62mm, so you could make it work. It would be one hell of a seller.

Frumentum:

That's the claim Remington made when they displayed the ss-77 at SHOT 2018. I'll look for their press release. In the meantime, I got the pics here, where again the claim is repeated:
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2018/01/30/shot-2018-remingtons-guns-2018/

1 Like

Foreign Affairs / Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by 61mech: 4:29pm On Apr 03, 2018
Do you have any references for the .30-06 SS-77 ?
As far as I know, you'd have to completely redesign the gun to go to .30-06. The SS-77 can convert down to 5.56mm because its easy to swap a few feed tray parts,bolt,springs and barrel to down-convert. Hence the multical markings on the receiver. That's why it was relatively easy for the Israelis to make a 7.62Nato M-1919 from .30-06 parts kits.

The .30-06 is substantially longer than the 7.62, so you would have to re-design the whole gun. Including the entire receiver to make it work. If you don't the gun will tear itself apart, because it was designed for 7.62mm tolerances like bolt travel distances etc. At that point you might as well develop a 338 GPMG for the same budget.
I seriously doubt that DENEL has the spare cash laying around to do this for no apparent reason. I can't think of any military that still has .30-06 in inventory that would buy this for a relatively small (if any) increase in ballistics.

The caliber would also be clearly denoted on the barrel like they did with the serial nr. Accidentally feeding a 30.06 chamber 7.62 will cause a big problem.
Maybe the guys at Remington misunderstood the "multical" mark. They aren't the brightest gun company in the US.
How you go bankrupt in the largest gun market in world history is beyond my comprehension.

Frumentum:

Here's the story of how the DMG-5 came about:
Engineer interns at Denel are given a final project at the end of their internship to determine whether they're given an employment contract or not. The 3 guys were challenged to produce the lightest GPMG in the world without compromising on stability, reliability and accuracy, and they could use any existing GPMG as a base, or design a completely new one. They chose the SS-77 as a base and produced the DMG-5, which is 20% lighter and can take all modern sighting systems.
I'm told that the pre-production model is now at 8.2kg.

PICS: The Vektor SS-77 version imported into the US by Remington. It's chambered in .30-06 (7.62x63mm)! shocked shocked shocked

2 Likes

Foreign Affairs / Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by 61mech: 3:09pm On Apr 01, 2018
I've seen ZU-23 fire many times. You'll be very lucky to hit anything at 2km with it.Especially if you put it on a vehicle. Your 10 round burst groups in the area of a football pitch at that range. Really more of an area/anti personnel weapon when used ground to ground.That's why modern auto cannons shoot in single fire mode.

The basic idea of this type of AA system is not really to hit a fast jet. You put massive amount of tracer in the air with the hope that the pilot loses his nerve and pulls out of his bombing run early for eg.

kikuyu1:

Rapid fire AP death up to 3 k metres for MPRAPs,LAVs,APCs,softskins and dismounts on a simple rugged high mobility frame with good ground clearance. Whats not to like! Ideally it should be stabilised like this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OrymIyWt9I

Unlike those terrorist FSA fvcuks in Syria using free mounted 23 mm on Toyotas! Btw the 23 mm has nearly 40 % more range and penetration than the US 20mm.

2 Likes

Foreign Affairs / Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by 61mech: 4:19pm On Mar 30, 2018

3 Likes

Foreign Affairs / Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by 61mech: 2:04pm On Mar 27, 2018
We never used it at all. The Recces have a lot of captured stuff from Angola in their base at the Bluff. Not sure why they'd use that instead of the SA model with the bell sights.

Frumentum:
61mech, when last did you see the Portuguese 60mm Patmor?
The Recce candidates still use them during the minor tactics phase of BTC.
Foreign Affairs / Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by 61mech: 1:54pm On Mar 27, 2018
Problem with using the dustcover as a mount is that you lose your zero everytime you clean the weapon. Not so much of a problem if your just using nightvision, but if you're mounting an expensive acog you're not really getting all the accuracy out of the system. That's why the IMI Ace has a different locking system for the cover to better align it.
Just nitpicking here, but i'd buy some R-1 covers with rails from DS-Arms and issue them as DMR'r ,use red dot's on the R/5/6's
The R-5/6 is really a <300m weapon.

Frumentum:
grin grin grin

N boer maak 'n plan!

1 Like

Foreign Affairs / Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by 61mech: 1:47pm On Mar 26, 2018
Is it true that only SF are allowed for this course nowadays, because of the cost ?
We used to have guys in mechanised qualified for FAC. Very few to be fair.

MikeCZA:
Yup, we are not in Europe.

A qualitative advantage or edge must be maintained not only in terms of technology or equipment.

Foreign Affairs / Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by 61mech: 2:17pm On Mar 19, 2018
What do you think of changing the law to allow these guys to take extended leave to do contracting jobs ?
SF and Task Force invest a of of time and money in training them. Doesn't make sense to me to just disavow them for trying to make some money on the open market.
It would also allow the gov. to have more control over how and where they operate. The current prohibition doesn't seem to achieve anything.

frumentius:
I will not question the choices people make; hell, I'm joining a think-tank in a year's time.
But there's something disturbing when an entire SF patrol (4 men) is lost to a PMC in operating in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The SANDF cannot compete with the salaries on offer, but we should do better to improve the Reserve system. In preparation for my impending exit, I've been looking at the Reserve Force and my god, is it an ossified system. It still operates as if conscription exists and doesn't incentivise Reserve Officers, in gainful employment and wanting to donate their time and skills.

Conclusion: fully-staffed reserve units across all 4 arms are possible, if the SANDF gets its act together!

PIC: SF patrol troop now lost to the SANDF

1 Like

Foreign Affairs / Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by 61mech: 2:31pm On Mar 12, 2018
That particular variant of the PK is actually not a bad choice.
It features a air-cooled barrel which means you can run it much longer without getting out and doing a swap. Denel would do well to develop a water cooled barrel for the SS-77 for remote turrets and coax applications. The Germans are selling a 3 barreled MG42 that automatically swaps the barrel for this very reason.

frumentius:

grin grin grin
No I don't. It's just that those piddly PKs just look wrong and I haven't heard of you mounting anything beyond that. What's the point of buying the SDROW - which can handle anything from 5.56 to 20mm - just to put PKs on it?

Your RG-32s look impressive. Do you know your guys got Denel to so tailor it that it's now a variant on its own, the RG-32MN?
By the way, now that ICP incorporated your feed-back and made changes to the REVA FAV, are you buying more?

2 Likes

Foreign Affairs / Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by 61mech: 6:11pm On Feb 23, 2018
Looks like they're shooting practice 20mm ammo. Probably for spectator safety.
HE would be even more impressive.

saengine:
Great video showing how the Rooivalk 20 mm canon is slaved to the helmet mounted sights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZjNjPtPeEs

1 Like

Foreign Affairs / Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by 61mech: 4:24pm On Feb 23, 2018
You're pretty much spot on with your treat assessment. There are sub-Saharan countries with significant numbers of tanks, but its not just a question of equipment. They do not do the type of training that you'd need to conduct division level combined arms mechanized operations. Even if they decided to go in that direction, it would take a well funded military at least 10 years of large scale training maneuvers to build up the institutional knowledge and officers corps to get to a level where you could take on a pier enemy.

Its debatable if even the SANDF is still able to field a fully worked up division that could operate at this level. At worst the "bone structure" for such a force still exist in the SANDF and it could be resurrected at short notice if need be. The SAAF ,for example, doesn't have the nr's of attack aircraft needed to do ground attack, CAP and recon at the same time for an extended period. Keep in mind you cannot have all of your aircraft in the air all the time. Minimum CAP alone would be hard to maintain if you do the math.
As for armor, even though we have a decent tank in the Olifant, we do not have the capability to deploy them. The necessary support vehicles for tank recovery etc. were never purchased, so they're pretty much there just to keep our tank crews trained.

andrewza:

That's a different type of recon. The Kat is rookat by fire. The mini bus style is the more covert style that the scout troops, pathfinder and Recce, s would do.

A platoon is 4 to 5. It does not mean all of them are in a convoy behind each other.

The 76mm gun means more ammo witch is useful behind the lines doing raids and it still packs enough punch to deal with most threats.

Do you expect us to fire 50 ATGMs. If we fighting a full on war our budget would get a boost. The worst case intervention right now is a civil war or some kind of intervention. None of our neighbors have any real armor in numbers. Really only the Angolan army has enough tanks and good enough tanks to warrant 50 ATGMs. They all so a close ally.

If we had to do a intervention like the French did in Mali the 76mm would be more than enough. The lighter ammo means more could be flown to front for example.

3 Likes

Foreign Affairs / Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by 61mech: 3:56pm On Feb 23, 2018
Rooikat is also used for fainting attacks and probing enemy lines for weaknesses. Think of a boxer faking a left hook and then hitting you with a right.

The decision not to go for the 105mm came pretty much straight from the guys at armor. It wasn't a budget issue. They could have had a 105mm on the Kat from the beginning.
For most of it mission mobility is its main weapon, not the size of the gun. The 76mm allows for much more ammo and its easier to handle for the loader allowing quicker followup shots. a 105mm Kat would also be considerably heavier.
SOP is to only use up to 2/3s of your ammo in a attack. The rest is kept in reserve. If you get lower than that during an attack and you still haven't reached your objective its time to start planning your tac retreat. If you press through and end up taking your target, you need at least that much in reserve to deal with counter attacks otherwise you're pretty much f-ed.
Tactically, the Kat would benefit much more from the in-hub electric drive they developed for the CVED Rooikat. They could easily triple the stealth "silent mode" range if they used modern batteries. In the bush that's like having a F-22 with wheels.

The SANDF would be much better of integrating the Ingwe on the Rooivalk like they originally planned. I don't see them ever having money to buy Mokopa in decent numbers. Standardizing on one missile would mean more in inventory and should bring down the unit price.
Even more useful would be a new beam-riding SHORAD missile the used the same launcher as the Ingwe. Maybe you could adapt a RBS-70 to work with the Ingwe launcher as they use the same guidance. This would allow you to swap out rounds on your vehicle or Attack helicopter as the treat changes from air to ground.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lm8N6eQBFIA

andrewza:

That's a different type of recon. The Kat is rookat by fire. The mini bus style is the more covert style that the scout troops, pathfinder and Recce, s would do.

A platoon is 4 to 5. It does not mean all of them are in a convoy behind each other.

The 76mm gun means more ammo witch is useful behind the lines doing raids and it still packs enough punch to deal with most threats.

Do you expect us to fire 50 ATGMs. If we fighting a full on war our budget would get a boost. The worst case intervention right now is a civil war or some kind of intervention. None of our neighbors have any real armor in numbers. Really only the Angolan army has enough tanks and good enough tanks to warrant 50 ATGMs. They all so a close ally.

If we had to do a intervention like the French did in Mali the 76mm would be more than enough. The lighter ammo means more could be flown to front for example.

3 Likes

Foreign Affairs / Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by 61mech: 5:53pm On Feb 22, 2018
I agree fully, the G-7 would fit in perfectly with a Stryker Brigade.
That system can also provide direct fire support unlike any of the other options.
The modular charge system is still a problem for the US army. Thats why they didn't want to bite the last time.
Get the feeling from reading the article that they don't really know what they want though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YAcnYYxKro

Frumentum:

Is this not a great opportunity for Denel to resuscitate its partnership with General Dynamics and offer the G-7?
http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/18550/us-army-eyes-replacing-its-105mm-and-155mm-towed-howitzers-with-one-new-cannon
cc: MikeCZA

1 Like

Foreign Affairs / Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by 61mech: 3:56pm On Feb 19, 2018
Theirs a lot of myths around the M-16 and the Vietnam war. Here's what actually happened.
A pantagon official decided to use leftover propellant for the ammo used when the rifle came into service. Remember, the 5.56 round was just as new as the rifle. This was against the recommendations of the team that developed the M-16. The AR uses a direct gas impingement system. Gas is bled off the barrel and then sent back into the operating system. I've attached a pic of it bellow.
The old propellant burned very dirty and this caused big problems. When they changed the propellant to what the designer spec'd , the problem went away.
The troops weren't issued cleaning kits or trained to properly maintain the rifle either , but the ammo was the real cause of the issues.
The M-4 is actually more mud resistant than the AK. It has a dust cover that stops dirt from getting in to the operating system in the first place were as the AK is a much more open system. Especially with the safety off.
I own 6 AR's and 4 AK variants including a Galil (which I was trained on in the Army). I also shoot AR's in competitions and believe me , a properly maintained AR is just as reliable as a AK.
The lack of killing power of the 5.56 is also a myth. It has more to do with US policy regarding the Hague convention than anything else. The US military can produce a much deadlier round in that caliber, but they constrict themselves to the idiotic Hague treaty. The US is actually not a signatory , but follows the convention voluntarily. Their is much more deadlier ammo available on the civilian market. So much so, that you can actually hunt deer and pigs with it in certain states.

Their is a good Youtube channel called InRangeTV that does dirt and mud testing on various rifles if you are interested in seeing how different rifles cope.

andrewza:

The issues with the m16 in Vietnam was due to cheapen manufacturing and training. The m4 is a short barreled m16 it is the. Both are still used along side each other. The American solders I have spoken to don't see issues with the ar15 platform has it is now.

2 Likes

Foreign Affairs / Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by 61mech: 5:51pm On Feb 15, 2018
The G-7 have been languishing in development for a long time. The requirement came from the SANDF in the 90's. Denel stated that they dont have the funds to finish the qualification and final production version. Problem is that most countries that have to replace their 105's wont want to use the g-7's proprietary ammo. They'd prefer to buy a gun that can fire the existing stocks of NATO 105 ammo. It would make sense to sell the turret IP to get the gun and ammo into production for a launch customer. I don't see the SANDF buying it soon if at all.

MikeCZA:
The G-7 will go into production unlike the RG-41.

would be a mistake selling IP for products like the G-7.

1 Like

Foreign Affairs / Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by 61mech: 3:36pm On Feb 15, 2018
They should integrate the T-7 turret on the RG-41 for free and sent it to them for evaluation as well. That way we can hit 2 birds with one stone. As it stands now the LEO wont make it into production. Next best thing is to sell the IP. The barrels would still be made in SA anyway.

Frumentum:
Rumour has it a Middle Eastern country is negotiating to buy the IP for yet another Denel product.
This time the RG-41. I was opposed to the RG-35 IP being sold to the UAE, because I felt there was a market for it that Denel could've pursued.
However, if this sale transpires I support it, as we've already chosen the Badger in this role and there were no prospective buyers of this platform. There's loads more IP Denel is sitting on which should be sold if there's no prospect of going into production.

1 Like

Foreign Affairs / Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by 61mech: 5:42pm On Feb 14, 2018
Looks like they are using 12.7mm in the vid?
Could they have a caliber conversion in mind for cheaper training ?
Or maybe you can field convert it to 12.7mm for longer range. Vid says you can do it with a barrel swap, but I'm not sure if the bolt-face and extractor would work on both calibers.

Frumentum:
Exactly Mike. Ma Deuce has served well but it's time to retire.

Foreign Affairs / Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by 61mech: 3:10pm On Feb 14, 2018
I think a Denel got it just right with the RG-31 MMS / AGRAB. Its heavier, has spades and has a armored cab in case the crew get caught by counter battery fire.
The French Caesar is probably the worst when it comes to recoil damage. Take a look at some of the Youtube vids. Especially the ones where they fire full charge. That chassis would not hold up in full on combat. It's fine when you just run it in exercises where you don't really push it hard, but in combat you might have to fire so much at max range you can shoot the barrel out. Take the recent USMC artillery missions in Syria for instance. Compare the Caesar to the T-5-52's spade system. One of them were designed by engineers who knows what sustained fire missions in conventional combat look like.

Look at around the 50s mark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frPm70dTrhk

kikuyu1:
I've just seen the Israeli Spear in action and I'm having a rethink! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OrlIIiZJJk

Fyi,the typical recoil force of a 120 mm mortar is up to `15 tonnes-how will the vehicle suspension absorb that force indefinitely? How many rounds will it fire before the suspension and frame fall apart? Go to 0.40. The man'f says
https://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htart/20140529.aspx

I'd be happier if it had supporting hydraulic arms to lift and stabilise the vehicle like other mobile arty systems.

2 Likes

Foreign Affairs / Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by 61mech: 6:02pm On Feb 10, 2018
Good to see there's some movement on some of the problems we discussed.

Truth be told, Embrear would never change engine options for the small nr. of aircraft the SAAF would order. Doesn't make any financial sense.
I'm a huge fan of the AN-70, but Im afraid that bird will die in the nest. There's just no way I see it ever going into production without the Russians ordering. The Ukrainians are just not able to build financing or arms deal offsets into any offer. Unfortunately that's what's slowly killing SA's own arms industry. We are unable to put together big arms deal because of this even though our products and engineering is on par with anything coming out of Europe.

The AN-70 might sell, but not nearly enough to make it financially viable. Airbus says it has to get to 300 units with the A-400 to turn that bus around (no pun intended). Anyone buying the Antonov aircraft will be screwed when it eventually goes out of limited production along with its spare parts. Rooivalk is a good case study in all the problems with poor countries trying to compete with the big boys that have the backing of governments with deep pockets. Even when the product is superior.

They Brazilians have the same problem in that regard. That's why I think we should be working together with them to bring our products to market. A-Darter is good example of this. That missile would have never made it to production without Brazil participating. This type of cooperation was actually what built most of our defense industry when SA and Israel worked together.

frumentius:

1) DoD has only extracted a commitment from Treasury to look at the UN re-imbursement going back directly to the SANDF (rumour is they'll do it and the cut in real inflationary terms will be equal to this; so no change);

2) Kevin Wakefield at Armscor is trying to get SAFAIR and others to comply with UN tender regs, as Ethiopian Airlines has done spectacularly;

3) Despite the Brazilians painting one of the KC-390 in our colours, no way are we going for it - they tried to tie A-Darter funding to Denel participating in the technical phase, but that ship sailed when they wouldn't budge on the engine for our requirements;

4) There's a standing offer from the Yanks on the C-130J Super Herc (which we should accept if govt limits its ambition to a regional role);

5) If govt decides we play a continental role, the only heavy-lifters we can afford are only propfans from Ukraine and Russia (I myself am partial to Denel's industrial participation in the westernised AN-7X programme), with the following orbat:
a) Heavy Lift/air to air refuelling/transport/EW&C2;
b) Medium Lift/ Maritime/ Paratrooping/transport/E&C INT;
c) Light Lift / paratrooping/C2

6) I'm gonna get slaughtered for this: I can't see affording an Oryx replacement but an extensively modified and expensively improved Eastern bird, if new;
a) We could resuscitate our heavy chopper capability with 2nd hand EDA Chinooks;
b) Cheaply replace Oryx with EDA Black Hawks.

All in all, choppy seas ahead.

3 Likes

Foreign Affairs / Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by 61mech: 6:35pm On Feb 09, 2018
You're spot-on about the maintenance issue needing to be resolved first. However, newer aircraft designs are much less maintenance intensive than older models. Grippen for example, requires much less ground crew and hours. The Embraer also have 2 engines compared to 4 even though they're jets. Not to sure if that will offset the slightly higher maintenance cost of jet engines.

Contrary to popular belief, jet engines do fine on unpaved rough airfields. It has more to do with engine placement and landing gear. After all, a turboprop is also a type of jet engine and can get damaged when ingesting debris.
Embraer stated that it can land on the the maximum (worst) semi-prepared runway defined by MIL-A-008866B and, for soft field operations, perform 10 passes at a CBR 4 airfield (loose fine sand or soft clay). C-17's also do it routinely.

Another advantage of the KC-390 is that it comes with air refueling built in, whereas a c-130 is a specialized model. Air refueling would be a game changer for how we operate in Africa. Imagine if we could have had Grippens in the air over Bengui in a few hours. The KC-390 is actually quite a bit cheaper than the new C130 as well. I we were clever about it, we could get them to co-develop the Marlin air-air missile with us like we did with the Darter as part of the deal to buy some KC-390's. Marlin would probably not happen without co-funding.

That Antonov is something else though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZbF2OrNkhE

patches689:

Surely the KC-390 engines would be no-bueno for unpaved strips? Also, regardless of what we get the problem is not the aircraft but the funds for maintenance. By my understanding we have ~9 C-130's but only around 5 are operational. Surely replacing them is pointless if they will just end up with another maintenance backlog?

i reckon best bet would be something smaller to replace the CASA's over the short term followed by a C-130 replacement over the long term, betting on an economic recovery.

I understand that if the commitment were made the C-130's could still have an extended life-span.

I reckon something like the An-132D would be the best bet over the short term, something to shuttle troops to and fro, and at the same time give the SF the jumps they need.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dE7442BTE54

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOUIH4MoIW8

1 Like

Foreign Affairs / Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by 61mech: 5:38pm On Feb 09, 2018
Added to that, the funding from the UN for peacekeeping missions doesn't make it back into the SAAF budget. (I think they changed this recently)
Astonishingly shortsighted practice from the Gov.
I don't understand why they don't just contract SAFAIR to do the supply missions. They have long bodied Hercs that fly UN humanitarian missions anyway and they have new C130's being delivered this year.
At some point the Gov. is going to have to pull the trigger on replacing the C130's.
The KC-390 would be my choice. It would also bring back the air-air refereeing capability to the SAAF. Our Grips need longer legs.
Plenty of ways we can do a deal with the Brazilians.
Talking about pie in the sky, here's my vote for Oryx replacement. Code name "Groot Koos"

frumentius:

I'm more worried about the SAAF funding crunch. All our elite units utilising Hercs are suffering because the supply runs to the DRC are prioritised. The Pathfinders for example, have a set number of HAHO and HALO jumps they're supposed to do over a set period. They're doing half that. 4 Recce's 4.3 Commando, the Submarine Parachute Action Group (SPAG) also does half their alloted jumps.

The Air Force has tried to alleviate it by fixing the CASAs, which only benefits some roles within 4&5Recce, Parabats, and the STF.
4 Medical Battalion Gp only does 1 HAHO jump per year.

I honestly don't know how long we can continue with more and more demands/taskings on the military with less and less funding. sad sad sad

2 Likes

Foreign Affairs / Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by 61mech: 4:12pm On Feb 09, 2018
Good to know they practice that. Would be a nasty surprise for an insurgent group to have these things drop with SF in their rear areas.
The drop system I saw was a metal cage that the hornet was inside off.

frumentius:

here you go. A Recce mate says they do it once or twice a year, depending on Herc availability.

forgive the poor pics.

1 Like

Foreign Affairs / Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by 61mech: 1:28am On Feb 08, 2018
The reason I doubt they can currently drop hornets is that you only ever see Gecko's being parra dropped. The hornet had a cage that it was inside of that got airdropped. Not sure if they actually acquired that capability.
Still don't understand why they gave up the Tapirs. They already had them and maintenance cant cost much more than a Samil 50

frumentius:

The air-drop capability is there, across more platforms and environments than the Vlermuis and Jackals. More dismounts, better protection, better modularity, more armament, better C4SIR etc. One of the better RDRV platforms out there.

When they lost the Tapirs, Mambas were brought in as a replacement. And yes, they've been modified into the various roles that the Regiments' Commandos play. For example, the 2125m sniper shot in the DRC was off the roof of one of the Recces' special Mambas.
Foreign Affairs / Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by 61mech: 7:58pm On Feb 07, 2018
Just kidding about the recces clown cars of course. I actually think they can be extremely effective, because you can sling them under a Oryx. Not sure if they've retained the capability to airdrop hornets.

Didn't know they operated Mambas. Are these modified in any way? They used to have the ability to mod their vehicles in-house. They had quite a "skunk works" division back in the day.
They did like using Casspirs back in the day.

I do think they should invest in some RG-32's for the recces and possibly the bats. Would fit well with their current missions being mostly peace keeping/enforcement.

frumentius:

Oh dear, I fear we'll stray from the Freccia orbat and end up discussing mortars. grin grin grin
Odunayaw and kikuyu1 won't mind cheesy.

Nevertheless, I agree wholeheartedly on a LR 81mm. In fact, were I running Denel this is where I'd have focused, instead of the 60mm.
No, the Scorpion only caters for the 60 and 120mm.
The Recces' golf carts aren't bad, actually. They also have Geckos for logs and specially-adapted Mambas for MPV. None of which alleviates the lack of a Tapir. Unfortunately, in these tight fiscal times, the 3 vehicle types are regarded as fulfilling 3 roles by National Treasury:
1) Personnel - Hornet;
2) Logistics - Gecko;
3) Protected Mobility - Mamba.

Never mind that JOps constantly argues they cater for 2 roles and the 3rd has been defunded.

Anyhoo, I still have serious reservations about that Italian orbat. Our defence attache who attended an exercise wrote that the entire structure falls short of what they have on paper. Never mind the missing logs tail: apparently the dismounts were a 3rd of what they should be. The reconnaissance platoon was under-strength, etc, etc.
The sort of problems I'd expect from a military not given enough time to get ship-shape in a time of war.

Then again, I think our entire structure is ineffective and should be over-hauled, so maybe I'm not objective.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (of 9 pages)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 130
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.