Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,291 members, 7,971,051 topics. Date: Wednesday, 09 October 2024 at 08:45 PM

Will You Still Marry Her If She Won't Fully Change Her Last Name -No Hyphenation - Romance (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Will You Still Marry Her If She Won't Fully Change Her Last Name -No Hyphenation (27817 Views)

She Won't Let You Touch The Boobs / TEST: Marry Her If She Can Eat This With You / If She Is Amazing, She Won't Be Easy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (22) (Go Down)

Re: Will You Still Marry Her If She Won't Fully Change Her Last Name -No Hyphenation by MrsChima(f): 9:23pm On May 01, 2011
Princek12:

You are brain dead. You have derailed the thread. When did I say that women should not speak up or voice their opinions, or when did I advocate for women to be treated like slaves or should not collaborate with their partner.

The issue is whether a woman should change her name to her husband's name, not all the BS you are saying. You are just a feminist whose angst comes up anytime is also voicing his opinion. Go and get a life or you will end up being like Oprah.

You are crazy, for real.

Write an email to Oprah and see if she will send you some matching flip flops and some singlet.  

You are the only on this thread bleeding like a bitch because a few women on this thread said that there is nothing wrong with a woman not changing her last name to the husband's then you and your sidekicks come storming in like manbitches saying that women who doesn't change their last names ends up a baby momma and you called me crazy?  

Biatch please, you haven't seen crazy yet.
Re: Will You Still Marry Her If She Won't Fully Change Her Last Name -No Hyphenation by MrsChima(f): 9:24pm On May 01, 2011
Princek12:

The same reasons why many men would not want to marry a woman like that is the same reason she will end up a baby mama.

Simple. You have a baby for a guy. He wants to marry you. You tell him you won't change your last name to his. He runs. You end up being a baby mama. Or men won't take you serious and think you are a crazy feminist/biatch who is just a sperm receptacle.

I guess common sense is not so common, and I am shocked about how people overthink stuff. No wonder why some people fail reasoning and comprehension tests.

It is funny how the not-so-smart person thinks the other person is not-so-smart because that not-so-smart person could not comprehend a simple analytical statement. dumb biathches

Yeah, common sense skipped you at birth.  Good luck finding a slave.  It is funny how you upset over a last name. Male cry babies are pathetic.
Re: Will You Still Marry Her If She Won't Fully Change Her Last Name -No Hyphenation by cantell(m): 9:24pm On May 01, 2011
Mrs.Chima:

IF you are dumb enough to pay dowry for her and she dumb enough to slave herself then you guys are a perfect match in hell same last name or not.  Welcome to the era where women are voicing their opinions and not being seen.   tongue
You're running your mouth now like a tipper without brake.
If i start with you, you go run comot for this thread.
Enuf with the insults.
Back to the topic.
Still sticking to what i said earlier. Pay for my dowry and do the things men do, i'd gladly cook, do the dishes and any other thing she wants me to do.
MzDarkSkin:

hmmmm. I'm not sure I like where this is going.  undecided

welfare?

@Prince men are 'the head' because WE allow you to be. Don't get it twisted.
Women give birth to the babies, raise them and shape the culture.

Well. . .see how 190 turned out! He was raised by a woman.
**190 , sorry ooo! Na slip of tongue**
Re: Will You Still Marry Her If She Won't Fully Change Her Last Name -No Hyphenation by Nobody: 9:27pm On May 01, 2011
Mrs.Chima:

I was told by many that Nigerian men are the WORLD most logical and cognitively endowed men and I am being disappointed yet again.   lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

Between African men and AA men I don't know who is the world leading baby mommas producers.   lipsrsealed lipsrsealed   (I am not saying they are the only two but I am only comparing the two)

right. there are Nigerian women on this very thread who said they may not take their man's last name.
As respectable as they are and level headed I highly doubt Babe and INKED will be "baby mamas". HIGHLY doubt it.

Princek12:

The same reasons why many men would not want to marry a woman like that is the same reason she will end up a baby mama.

Simple. You have a baby for a guy. He wants to marry you. You tell him you won't change your last name to his. He runs. You end up being a baby mama. Or men won't take you serious and think you are a crazy feminist/biatch who is just a sperm receptacle.

I guess common sense is not so common, and I am shocked about how people overthink stuff. No wonder why some people fail reasoning and comprehension tests.

It is funny how the not-so-smart person thinks the other person is not-so-smart because that not-so-smart person could not comprehend a simple analytical statement. dumb biathches

Now what REASONABLE man would be quick to come to that conclusion? why not ask her why? even if she said 'just because' do you mean her qualities that attracted you to her in the first place, that caused to you want to create a new life or lives with and settle with would be obsolete and worth abandoning because she chose not to take on your name? let's be reasonable. It seems that your EGO is what you are more interested in securing than a healthy relationship. Me keeping my name does not mean I am to be loved or can love any less than if I did take on a man's name.

As for common sense and dumb biathches someone who cannot sound out and spell 'biotches' really need not judge anyone else's ability to think and comprehend. A word that is practically sounding itself out for correct spelling  grin
Re: Will You Still Marry Her If She Won't Fully Change Her Last Name -No Hyphenation by 190: 11:22pm On May 01, 2011
Na wa oo

if i talk now, wahala!!

lemme keep quiet and watch stupidity @ its best undecided
Re: Will You Still Marry Her If She Won't Fully Change Her Last Name -No Hyphenation by N101: 12:19am On May 02, 2011
190:

Na wa oo

if i talk now, wahala!!

lemme keep quiet and watch stupidity @ its best undecided

Well, there's stupidity going on at a whole number of levels.  Maturity is the thing that is really lacking.

[list]
* It is not compulsory for a woman to change her name. If marriage is based on a woman changing her name, better not get married if she chooses not to do so.

* A name change does not make a woman more committed. She could still cheat and lie on her spouse. 

* If it is simple to dump a woman who chooses not to change her name, it says a lot about a person's lack of maturity - they are not ready for marriage.

* If someone thinks that, by paying a dowry for a traditional marriage they have rights to demand what they want - again, they are clueless as to what marriage is about. They should remain single for longer until they can get their head around "commitment".

* The love and commitment between two people far exceeds any name change.  A lack of name change does not make a woman less committed or married.
[/list]

Marriage is not for children or the immature and it isn't like being boyfriend/girlfriend. Sadly many people are playing at being grown up and have no idea. Mark my words, be guaranteed anything you think you will be able to do now will go through the window when it comes to the reality of marriage.
Re: Will You Still Marry Her If She Won't Fully Change Her Last Name -No Hyphenation by Nekai(f): 12:21am On May 02, 2011
What's wrong with a hyphenated last name? For instance, if you marry a woman that is educated at the master's level, she has spent years conducting research. She has authored and contributed to many papers and studies. Hopefully she has been blessed enough to contribute to a peer-reviewed journal. Also she has labored on her master's thesis. Maybe she wants to hyphenate her name because she wants to make it easier to build her career on her educational foundation.

If you have a hyphenated last name you can legally present yourself as either last name.
Princek12:

you sound like a feminist. you will end up like Oprah, which is not too bad. You cannot fight nature. A man will always be the head, which is how God meant for it to be. So you can be envious of the power bestowed upon men by God.

Feminists like you always end up being single for ever or end up being baby mommas. The choice is yours.

If you believe that your position as head of household is based on the fact that your wife takes/doesn't take your last name than you have a strange concept of what marriage is.

N101:

Well, there's stupidity going on at a whole number of levels. Maturity is the thing that is really lacking.

[list]
* It is not compulsory for a woman to change her name. If marriage is based on a woman changing her name, better not get married if she chooses not to do so.

* A name change does not make a woman more committed. She could still cheat and lie on her spouse.

* If it is simple to dump a woman who chooses not to change her name, it says a lot about a person's lack of maturity - they are not ready for marriage.

* If someone thinks that, by paying a dowry for a traditional marriage they have rights to demand what they want - again, they are clueless as to what marriage is about. They should remain single for longer until they can get their head around "commitment".

* The love and commitment between two people far exceeds any name change. A lack of name change does not make a woman less committed or married.
[/list]

Marriage is not for children or the immature and it isn't like being boyfriend/girlfriend. Sadly many people are playing at being grown up and have no idea. Mark my words, be guaranteed anything you think you will be able to do now will go through the window when it comes to the reality of marriage.

cool
Re: Will You Still Marry Her If She Won't Fully Change Her Last Name -No Hyphenation by MrsChima(f): 12:24am On May 02, 2011
N101:

Well, there's stupidity going on at a whole number of levels.  Maturity is the thing that is really lacking.

[list]

* The love and commitment between two people far exceeds any name change.  A lack of name change does not make a woman less committed or married.
[/list]

[size=44pt] This is A PRICELESS comment and shall be framed for eternity.[/size]

Gotdammit!  Brother Franklin come show us the Kingdom Swag!
Re: Will You Still Marry Her If She Won't Fully Change Her Last Name -No Hyphenation by BABE3: 12:27am On May 02, 2011
Mrs.Chima:

This is A PRICELESS comment and shall be framed for eternity.

Gotdammit!  Brother Franklin come show us the Kingdom Swag!

LMAO!!!

@N101! WORD! SUPER-DUPER WORD!  wink may you live long! Merry xmass and HAPPY NEW YEAR IN ADVANCE! smiley
Re: Will You Still Marry Her If She Won't Fully Change Her Last Name -No Hyphenation by Princek12(m): 12:34am On May 02, 2011
reality and delusion are two different things. some people live in a delusional world, while some face the realities of the world. Next thing will be the following:

why should she cook for him; marriage is not about cooking for your man.

why should she do his laundry; marriage is not about doing your husband's laundry

why should she have sex with him; marriage is not about sex

why should she respect him as the head of the household; marriage is not about having a head of household. remember, it is fifty: fifty

Gimme a break. I wish all the delusional people here a happy married life
Re: Will You Still Marry Her If She Won't Fully Change Her Last Name -No Hyphenation by BABE3: 12:35am On May 02, 2011
^^Who are you talking to, Sir?
Re: Will You Still Marry Her If She Won't Fully Change Her Last Name -No Hyphenation by Princek12(m): 12:39am On May 02, 2011
BABE!:

^^Who are you talking to, Sir?

I am talking to all the delusional women here who are spewing jargon on Nairaland knowing fully well what goes on in their household, as in what their mothers and grandmothers have done.
Re: Will You Still Marry Her If She Won't Fully Change Her Last Name -No Hyphenation by BABE3: 12:43am On May 02, 2011
Princek12:

I am talking to all the delusional women here who are spewing jargon on Nairaland knowing fully well what goes on in their household, as in what their mothers and grandmothers have done.

As in the name changing palava right?
Re: Will You Still Marry Her If She Won't Fully Change Her Last Name -No Hyphenation by Princek12(m): 12:46am On May 02, 2011
BABE!:

As in the name changing palava right?

yup.

they should tell me whether their mothers and grandmothers did not change their names to their fathers' and grandfathers' names.
Re: Will You Still Marry Her If She Won't Fully Change Her Last Name -No Hyphenation by BABE3: 12:51am On May 02, 2011
Princek12:

yup.

they should tell me whether their mothers and grandmothers did not change their names to their fathers' and grandfathers' names.

ok! But that doesn't mean they have to change their last names too though.

It's not a LAW, neither it is a SIN if a woman's last name is not changed. So what exactly is the problem here? It's all about personal preference at this point!

It's too trivial a matter to affect a whole relationship/marriage. Don't you think?
Re: Will You Still Marry Her If She Won't Fully Change Her Last Name -No Hyphenation by MrsChima(f): 12:59am On May 02, 2011
Damn babes! 

OP getting his arse SONNED on his own THREAD!   grin grin grin grin grin grin

N101 broke the bottle on the comment and it goes to show what is more important to SOME fools people.  Babes and Inky (Nigerian women) I see what you all mean now and it is sad.   Hats goes off to you guys though!  Handle it!
Re: Will You Still Marry Her If She Won't Fully Change Her Last Name -No Hyphenation by 190: 1:04am On May 02, 2011
SMH!!

It's very unfortunate that the core marriage values re not been respected anymore @Least thank God for Nigerian marriages,   in marriage, a woman is expected (must) to leave her mother and father and cleave unto her husband as the two of them now becomes one,    It's the man who takes the woman's hand in marriage. and it's the man who pays the dowries and not the other way round,   according to the holy books the maker of the whole universe had ordained it that way since the beginning of the world,

so it's only foolish and silly arrogance that 'll make any woman who's about to be married not summit totally to the rules governing marriage.      if u cannot lay down your pride and take your rightful place as a woman and wife then why go into marriage? why not remain in your father's house till death or better still get married to your own father or brother so u can always show off your family name

everyone seems to forget what the OP is talking bout here, refusing to change the last name ( even going to the extent of saying No Hypenation )
I hope after the marriage of Kate middleton, she answers Kate Middleton while her husband answer's Prince William Arthur Philip Louis, all what ure saying is Grammer, If a woman get's married ( her educational certificates could remain the same ) but any other new developments in her life right from after her marriage, must bear her husband's name, No body is talking bout cheating here. what reasons justifies a wife from not putting a hypen or bearing her husband's name, is she so ashamed of her husband not to bear his name, THAT WOMAN MUST BEAR HER HUSBAND'S SURNAME!!

If we have to go into tradition that when a woman get married she automatically switch frm her father's name to her husband's name. And its become a start of a new family where the children will follow suit as in answering the same husband's(surname) name.

Its really quite pathetic when people who have no cultural background what-so-ever comes here and biitch about talkin bout culture when they clearly werent nutured in any form or what so ever than eating Pizza daily.Thank God a reasonable and wise Nigerian woman knows just what to do neither are they concerned bout whatever silly argument is going on here,
Re: Will You Still Marry Her If She Won't Fully Change Her Last Name -No Hyphenation by 190: 1:09am On May 02, 2011
BABE!:

It's not a LAW, neither it is a SIN if a woman's last name is not changed. So what exactly is the problem here? It's all about personal preference at this point!

It's too trivial a matter to affect a whole relationship/marriage. Don't you think?

Did your mom bring her father's name and everything into your dad's home?  undecided
NOW LETS GO INTO THE BIBLE WHICH I BELIEVE YOU ARE A CHRISTIAN, ALTHOUGH WE HAVE FEW CHRISTIANS IN THIS THREAD ALREADY~
BY SCRIPTURE AND NATURE IT IS THE ONLY HUMANE THING TO DO TO ADOPT YOUR HUSBANDS LAST NAME.IT IS PRACTICED IN ALL PARTS OF THE WORLD AND RIGHT FROM THE ONSET.IF AS A LADY YOU KNOW YOU CANT DO IT,NO PROBLEM ITS BEST YOU DONT GET MARRIED AT ALL.THERE HAS BEEN ENOUGH PROBLEM IN THE MARITAL WORLD LATELY DONT TRY TO MAKE THINGS MORE WORSE THAN IT ALREADY HAS.THERE IS SOMETHING WE CALL MAIDEN NAMES AND IT IS YOUR OWN SURNAME BEFORE MARRIAGE THAT IS THIS.SO NO MATTER WHERE YOU GO AND WORK YOUR MAIDEN NAME WILL ALWAYS BE PRESERVED IN YOUR DOCUMENTS AND ACTIVITIES YOU CARRY OUT.THEREFORE I SEE NO MEANS OR HOW YOUR OWN FAMILY NAME WILL BE LOST
Re: Will You Still Marry Her If She Won't Fully Change Her Last Name -No Hyphenation by MrsChima(f): 1:11am On May 02, 2011
BABE!:

It is not a law nor a sin if a woman doesn't change her last name.  But you know that SOME people do have their own interpretation of what is important in THEIR marriage and wants to enforce their VIEWS on other people's marriage.  That what is going on this thread.  It is sad though.  

If a man can deal with a woman not changing her last name which shouldn't be an issue and there are bigger things that will goes on in a marriage that needs to be dealt with.  For some reasons, SOME people assumed that everyone's marriage is the same so therefore they can't believe a woman is not adhering to what THEY feel is right regardless if it has NOTHING to do with them or not.  

If a woman changes her last name because she wants to that HER decision and if the man wants to leave her because she DOESN'T change her last name there are BETTER fishes in the sea and does not cry over petty shit such as a last name change.  

Once again N101, kudos to you.   cool
Re: Will You Still Marry Her If She Won't Fully Change Her Last Name -No Hyphenation by 190: 1:16am On May 02, 2011
Princek12:

yup.

You got the strength really to keep going at this, Ive told you to kill it cos Its a wasted effort.
Tradition and Chivalry, of course comes into play. A woman takes a man's name and his job is to protect her etc.

I hope when they got Kids too, the kid's take the name of the woman as well, since its the 21century stupiidity has gotten into the heads of some women
Some Nigerian men has really tolerated alot in the hands of people.

Im out undecided
Re: Will You Still Marry Her If She Won't Fully Change Her Last Name -No Hyphenation by BABE3: 1:19am On May 02, 2011
OK! Nuff said!

190, pls I'm begging you, I respect your opinion and all, but please when you wanna address me, ADDRESS ME!
You don't have to bring my dad or my mum into this. Pls, Thank you!

There's no point in arguing because, it's quite obvious we all know where we stand.  smiley
Nobody can change my opinion and I'm not really ready to change anyone's either.

Re: Will You Still Marry Her If She Won't Fully Change Her Last Name -No Hyphenation by MrsChima(f): 1:21am On May 02, 2011
BABE!:

OK! Nuff said!

190, pls I'm begging you, I respect your opinion and all, but please when you wanna address me, ADDRESS ME!

There's no point in arguing because, it's quite obvious we all know where we stand.  smiley
Nobody can change my opinion and I'm not really ready to change anyone's either.

I believe I can fly! cheesy

Re: Will You Still Marry Her If She Won't Fully Change Her Last Name -No Hyphenation by 190: 1:23am On May 02, 2011
BABE!:

OK! Nuff said!

Dearie,

It was just a question with no much ado attached to it,
I understand if its your personal Opinion but i so bet that even in your marriage and you choose to keep
that name, you got to talk things over with your husband and what if he refuses?  grin  grin
Re: Will You Still Marry Her If She Won't Fully Change Her Last Name -No Hyphenation by BABE3: 1:24am On May 02, 2011
lol--oh lawd! Mrs Chima!

Yes, I strongly believe I can soar!
 cheesy
Re: Will You Still Marry Her If She Won't Fully Change Her Last Name -No Hyphenation by 190: 1:24am On May 02, 2011
Princek12:

yup.

[size=28pt]WORD BRO!!

ROTFL @ THE gay!

SOULJA BOY TELL EM!!  grin  grin
[/size]
Re: Will You Still Marry Her If She Won't Fully Change Her Last Name -No Hyphenation by MrsChima(f): 1:25am On May 02, 2011
Princek12:

yup.

Those poor mothers and grandmothers.  I know they wish rat poison was available back then.   grin
Re: Will You Still Marry Her If She Won't Fully Change Her Last Name -No Hyphenation by MrsChima(f): 1:26am On May 02, 2011
BABE!:

lol--oh lawd! Mrs Chima!

cheesy

Yes, you can suga. kiss kiss I am sure Inky agree as well. cheesy cheesy
Re: Will You Still Marry Her If She Won't Fully Change Her Last Name -No Hyphenation by 190: 1:31am On May 02, 2011
BABE!:

lol--oh lawd! Miss gay

cheesy
shocked shocked shocked shocked

[flash=400,300]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UFIYGkROII[/flash]
Re: Will You Still Marry Her If She Won't Fully Change Her Last Name -No Hyphenation by BABE3: 1:33am On May 02, 2011
190:

Dearie,

It was just a question with no much ado attached to it,
I understand if its your personal Opinion but i so bet that even in your marriage and you choose to keep
that name, you got to talk things over with your husband and what if he refuses?  grin  grin

Yes, darling cheesy, I know it was just a question, but it just doesn't sit well with me. I don't know why sha, but--- cool

He can't refuse. Naaaahhhh-- He's gonna be bigger than than.  wink

And even if he does, I'm sure my guy won't threaten me with "Not marrying me". haha! Because of name--lol That's just insane!  God will not let me come across that kind of guy!
Re: Will You Still Marry Her If She Won't Fully Change Her Last Name -No Hyphenation by african1(f): 1:34am On May 02, 2011
I will never change my last name for anybody. I am sorry, but I am my own person. I tend to stay that way, I don't see no man taking his wife's name, so why I should I take a man's name?
Re: Will You Still Marry Her If She Won't Fully Change Her Last Name -No Hyphenation by Natasha2(f): 1:36am On May 02, 2011
well what is wrong if she changes her last name fully some women sef can fight uneccesary battle Its  normal for a woman to bear her husbands name after marriage what is the big deal to drop your maiden name after all at the end your children don't even get to bear it  grin grin grin grin grin grin anyway Moi will bear my sugars name along side with my maidens name  cheesy
Re: Will You Still Marry Her If She Won't Fully Change Her Last Name -No Hyphenation by MrsChima(f): 1:37am On May 02, 2011
african1:

I will never change my last name for anybody. I am sorry, but I am my own person. I tend to stay that way, I don't see no man taking his wife's name, so why I should I take a man's name?

Hmm.  Be careful the broke niggas will call you a feminist in a minute.  You might want to edit your post to agree with them so you won't get attacked.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (22)

Ladies, Can You Kneel Down For Your Husband Openly? / What's The Most Embarrassing Thing That Happened In Your Relationship? / Mistakes Women Make When Their Guys Cheat On Them

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.