Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,179,053 members, 7,906,896 topics. Date: Wednesday, 31 July 2024 at 06:17 PM

The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) - Properties (27) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) (296146 Views)

How Can I Build A 6 Bedroom Duplex With 6.5m Naira / Construction Of A 6 Bedroom Duplex At Owerri / The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) ... (93) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by Fhemmmy: 3:04pm On Sep 12, 2011
prince_onx:

^^^ Decking a house in my own opinion is the best because that's like acquiring another plot to build the same thing on the first floor again on top making two different flat stand on the same piece of land. [/b]If you are building for personal use then that's fine but for commercial, you simply cant compare four 3 bedrooms bungalows standing separately to a story building of 4 flats (2 down, 2 up). I think its more economical in terms of land and in places like Lagos or other expensive cities, it just won't make sense buying a land for N4m, N5m, or N6m and waste it with projects like 6 wings of 2 bedroom or even 3 bedroom flats while all flats can stand exactly on a spot of one. Difference is that the cost will be way more due to things like the german floor for an upstairs, pillars, and decking,

[b]Wonderful analysis
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by sunnyjz: 3:11pm On Sep 12, 2011
what does everybody suggest then.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by Ogbefi007: 3:22pm On Sep 12, 2011
@All, considering a budget of 4M, a plot of 100/100 in Benin ( already acquired), with a destination of building a story building of 4 flats ( 2 up and 2down), with the budgeted fund of 4M, it is possible to finish the decking (down flat) and then continue on the upper part later when i would moved in to at least a portion of the flat down stairs note each of the flats will be a minimum of 3bedroom , THIS IS ONE option,

The Other Option, is still with a budget of 4M, i should go ahead and build a bungalow behind and later start the main building at the front after i have moved in to the bungalow
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by sunnyjz: 3:38pm On Sep 12, 2011
i was stuck in the same position but i decided to go with a two wings of two bedroom flat then later continue with the main building.building(option 1) would give you a sense of satisfaction when you get halfway.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by Ogbefi007: 3:41pm On Sep 12, 2011
U r right I really need to be wise cos the cash flow isn't constant. We really need our senior colleagues to advice us oh. Thanks for ur input my brother
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by spyder880(m): 5:37pm On Sep 12, 2011
@ Sunnyjz and Ogbefi_007, well done my brothers, you guys are doing well, deciding to tie your money up in an investment that will build your value and networth for the future is a very wise decision. Keep it up.
However care must be taken that you don't make the type of investment that will bring you too much stress, at least in the short term. Get this project costed and then proceed as needed.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by Ogbefi007: 6:01pm On Sep 12, 2011
@spyder actually my last 2 comment was a question, I wanted to know from your experience if I could use 4million naira to build the down part of the story building (2flats downstairs) viz a viz decking the down part completely. After decking I will then concentrate on the first flat so I could move in to complete the next flat which will be rented eventually, then after recovering from this in furture, I will then start the upper part.

So my question is with a budget of 4million how far can I go ? Can I deck ? ( I already have the land )
Your usual advice will be treasured,
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by jerryben12: 6:02pm On Sep 12, 2011
Guys, I have an open question. How can you measure the productivity of masons/ brick layers doing plastering? Is it better to pay daily rate or give out the plastering job on contract. If you pay daily rate how do you measure their performance?
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by Ogbefi007: 6:06pm On Sep 12, 2011
Forgot to add, if I could deck? Then the fittings n interiors will come in bits by bits until I get the desire! I could make the wrong decision if not guided
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by olubuffett: 6:06pm On Sep 12, 2011
Ogbefi_007:

@spyder actually my last 2 comment was a question, I wanted to know from your experience if I could use 4million naira to build the down part of the story building (2flats downstairs) viz a viz decking the down part completely. After decking I will then concentrate on the first flat so I could move in to complete the next flat which will be rented eventually, then after recovering from this in furture, I will then start the upper part.

So my question is with a budget of 4million how far can I go ? Can I deck ? ( I already have the land )

If you do it spyder's way you go buy wood for roof self.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by Ogbefi007: 6:14pm On Sep 12, 2011
@olubuffete, I really don't get u my question is centered on weather I could pull tru with the limited fund or am I asking too from so little a budget?
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by Fhemmmy: 6:17pm On Sep 12, 2011
olubuffett:

Spyder's Factor or Method . . . .
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by spyder880(m): 6:21pm On Sep 12, 2011
Ogbefi_007:

You can, especially if you know a bit about building and if you can haggle like a village woman buying pepper grin
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by Fhemmmy: 7:07pm On Sep 12, 2011
spyder880:

You can, especially if you know a bit about building and if you can haggle like a village woman buying pepper grin

Make you let the village woman that wan buy pepper hear you say this oh . . . OYO for you oh

Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by olubuffett: 7:36pm On Sep 12, 2011
Ogbefi_007:

@olubuffete, I really don't get u my question is centered on weather I could pull tru with the limited fund or am I asking too from so little a budget?

Ans,
spyder880:

Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by Ogbefi007: 7:38pm On Sep 12, 2011
Splendid, thanks all,
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by Moves: 7:57pm On Sep 12, 2011
@ Ogbefi,  another Option could be to aim to build a 2bedroom flat at the back of the plot which you can move into and live in; use the remaining money to complete the foundation of the 4flats; and you can continue as your cashflow increases. This is what I would do if I was in your situation except ofcourse you are confident in being able to do what it takes to do stuff like Spyder880 does; which my friend would be quite a feat; but impossible is nothing.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by Fhemmmy: 7:58pm On Sep 12, 2011
Great idea . . . keep them coming ^^^

Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by Ogbefi007: 8:12pm On Sep 12, 2011
@moves, I didn't think of that option before now, I will give it a thought n re-strategies if need be! I owe this to all professionals alike in NL! Thanks once more for having me! What can people like us do without cream of professionals like you! Ideal gotten from this thread could be applied in our everyday life! I m ready to learn n be wise with the hard earn cash. Greate thread
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by spyder880(m): 9:40pm On Sep 12, 2011
@ Ogbefi_007, we also learn from you, questions like that help us think more.

@ Moves, were you with us in SMN? The name is familiar.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by Ogbefi007: 11:05pm On Sep 12, 2011
@Sypder u inspire me greatly,
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by princeonx: 4:05am On Sep 13, 2011
sunnyjz:

sadly you know the country we live in, its either do something small on the land now to secure it or start battling other people for the land you paid money for. i had 4 flats in mind but dont have the money to start on it, forced to start looking at something on a small scale. mind you i just bought the land in April this year, i figure the land would sit idle for 1 year or two before work begins. that way i have time to save some money.Land issue is too complicated in Nigeria, i thought about selling the land to avoid all these nonsense.

The easiest and in most cases best way of securing a land is putting up a fence around it and if the area is already developed, build a BQ all the way at the back for personal use or rent until you're financially ready to build whatever you have in mind. You can see one (BQ) in spyder's project. Also I strongly disagree with the idea of rushing to build weather big or small just to prevent problem or battle over land. If you buy a piece of land from the wrong people, the real owner will give you hell except you're ready to rebuy it again from him so don't jump start to prevent wahala abeg!

sunnyjz:

if it was your land spyder what would you do or what would you have done. to be honest i have zero clue about building a house or anything related to it. no it is not going to be for personal use but i might reserve a flat for myself.

If you live outside naija then I will suggest you add a pent house for yourself for whenever you're in the country. Am doing the same thing, I have a one bedroom safe contain penthouse for me in my floor plan.

Ogbefi_007:

@All, considering a budget of 4M, a plot of 100/100 in Benin ( already acquired), with a destination of building a story building of 4 flats ( 2 up and 2down), with the budgeted fund of 4M, it is possible to finish the decking (down flat) and then continue on the upper part later when i would moved in to at least a portion of the flat down stairs note each of the flats will be a minimum of 3bedroom , THIS IS ONE option,

The Other Option, is still with a budget of 4M, i should go ahead and build a bungalow behind and later start the main building at the front after i have moved in to the bungalow
You said this was a question right? Let me answer the second one first. If i were you, I would build a two bedroom BQ first at the back to save more space/land instead of a 3 bedroom bungalow that might consume more land and money. Then I will make as much block as possible, even buy some rods and store that way i won't Chanel the money to something else. Second option I will just start on the project (N4m no be moimoi) and focus on finishing one flat for myself after the decking then the rest and upper level later. Bear in mind that this is not a long term plan because eventhough you have to plaster the top of the decking to avoid leaking it might/will crack and in a year or most two start leaking. So if you don't see yourself finishing the top part at-least to roofing in a year or two, then stick with the BQ till you're ready. 

olubuffett:

This is true only in dream but NEVER in real life Spyder way or snake way  grin (two 3 bedroom flats down, decked, finished and move into one, then build the top all the way to buying woods for roof? naija never good like that!)
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by spyder880(m): 4:38am On Sep 13, 2011
^^^ another great contribution, @ Prince, una too much jare.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by princeonx: 4:54am On Sep 13, 2011
Ogbefi_007:
Forgot to add, if I could deck? Then the fittings n interiors will come in bits by bits until I get the desire! I could make the wrong decision if not guided
With N4m and like Spyder rightly said "if you have knowledge of building" you might pull through especially if this project is NOT in Lagos. You can do things like the lintel for one side of the flat first, wait a day or two then take down the plank and do the other side instead of buying and cutting planks for both flats. You can rent plank instead of buying saving yourself at least 40% of the cost of plank for decking. You can also do you suckaway at the same time and fill your foundation with the sand instead of buying filling sand or end up buying just a little, etc. some of the tricks I used to get by As for fitting and interiors, my brother that's another money guzzler and buying things bit by bit like you plan will make you pay way more than buying in bunk. You will get a better deal plastering the whole house (inside/out) than just one flat. You will get a better deal doing your whole windows, protectors, frames/doors than for just one flat. You will also get a better deal both in buying and installing your electrical, plumbing, and tiles. In addition to getting better deals collectively, you will also have a second flat ready to lease/rent while using one for yourself but you honestly need morethan N4m to get to this point. Personally I have spent another N2m after decking just to get the two flats downstairs ready to move in. About N300,000 in plastering including the top of the decking, N230,000 in windows, N225,000 protectors, N255,000 in frames/doors, another N200,000 in security doors, N240,000 in plumbing, N238,000 Electrical, N315,000 so far in tiles and I still don't have enough. (All listed prices includes materials and labour and are rounded up to the nearest zero). Now add that figure to my decking cost both material/labour which cost about N70+ thousand naira less from N2m (that's your N4m there).
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by princeonx: 5:33am On Sep 13, 2011
spyder880:

^^^ another great contribution, @ Prince, una too much jare.
If only you know how much you've inspired guys here! making the almighty building project thing look like studying ABC according to fellow students Femmmy and Co  cool you need to hear me hallaring at my brother that the price is to much, spyder paid such and such for his own last week. the guy is tired of asking who is this spyder
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by spyder880(m): 6:53am On Sep 13, 2011
^^^ hehehehe, its all good, I love the way you handle the building, as I read you last post about the interior works, mine comes to mind. Interior dey chop money.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by Ogbefi007: 8:34am On Sep 13, 2011
Its getting clearer with every contribution made. Thanks Prince for this eye opener!!!!!!!!!!
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by NextHome(m): 10:21am On Sep 14, 2011
To add to what Ogbefi said here, the little renovation work we are doing has taken over N2.3m

I'll breakdown the cost on my thread later this month.

@Prince, make una no kill your brother o. Spyder's cost is on the extreme. You need to be on ground to know what your brother is facing.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by princeonx: 1:18pm On Sep 14, 2011
NextHome:

To add to what Ogbefi said here, the little renovation work we are doing has taken over N2.3m

I'll breakdown the cost on my thread later this month.

@Prince, make una no kill your brother o. Spyder's cost is on the extreme. You need to be on ground to know what your brother is facing.
shocked wow N2.3m already? each time I see the pictures I simply look at it as normal remodeling with new paint job, tiles, and ceiling. I wouldn't have guessed more than N500,000 until now! na wa Oh!

if only you know how many times he has asked me to go and call the spyder guy to do it grin but at the end of the day it works because for every N100k I might get N5-N10k off after pushing back and forth with him. Also, without a doubt Spyder's prices are exceptional and I assume its because he's the owner and contractor at the same time and of of-cox know few thing an average guy trying to build doesn't know.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by NextHome(m): 1:37pm On Sep 14, 2011
@prince, N500k!!!

2 split unit AC - N120k
1 Window unit AC - N40k
Wardrobes/Kitchen Cabinet - N230k
Doors - N120k
Bathrooms - N280k (which includes 2 Twyford WC, Shower Enclosure, Water Heater, Shower Fittings, Vanity etc)

Oga, this is just to mention few of the work o. POP, Screeding of the walls, Painting, Electricals, Plumbing, Burglary, Aluminium windows, Bricklaying, PVC ceiling, suspended ceiling etc still dey there o.)

No be small thing o. The only difference here is we didn't do the frame structure and roofing. All other parts and components of the house are brand new.

Its not easy turning a 30 year old house into a modern house.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by princeonx: 1:59pm On Sep 14, 2011
^^^
You are very right my brother! things are only cheap when you don't need them or need to visit the market but once you do, na so so thousand! thusands!! you go dey hear!
As a matter of fact i just got off the phone not too long ago and as we speak am already considering using regular flooring for the rooms of my house and tiles for other places! the good stuffs are too high and the cheap once are too inferior! naija own made in china is way too low in quality compare to the made in china products we see here! all the same, God help us.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by Fhemmmy: 2:27pm On Sep 14, 2011
@ Prince_onx . . . . You are too smart . . . love those ideas of your on how to save money, noted and will surely try some.

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) ... (93) (Reply)

Buy Original Stamped Concrete Materials. / Fences And Gates In Pictures And Prices / Cost Of Building A House In Nigeria

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.