Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,970 members, 7,873,113 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 08:17 AM

Senators, Reps Back Amnesty For Boko Haram - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senators, Reps Back Amnesty For Boko Haram (7785 Views)

Where Were Niger-Delta Senators & Reps When Lagos Calabar Rail Was Removed? / Saraki: CCB In Fresh Move Against Senators, Reps / Bayelsa Senators, Reps Back Patience Jonathan Against Dickson (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Senators, Reps Back Amnesty For Boko Haram by 48noble(m): 3:23pm On Jul 17, 2011
sad sad sad sad sad amnesty is goood and i think its one of the reasons yusufiya group started out in the first place amnesty like the niger delta,no bones. niger lives one day at a time.
Re: Senators, Reps Back Amnesty For Boko Haram by cold(m): 3:29pm On Jul 17, 2011
Kill one man & you're called a murderer,kill a thousand & you're called to a roundtable.That is the nature of man but what I fail to fathom is why would any right thinking leader grant amnesty to this group.On what basis?What are they fighting for?
Re: Senators, Reps Back Amnesty For Boko Haram by JaaizTech: 3:44pm On Jul 17, 2011
One needs to look at how these events started, how and why Boko-Haram decided to go so radical. This issue is one that needs to be dealt with a lot of maturity and intelligence. Obviously Boko-Haram is in the wrong, they have caused the death of so many unjustly. But the attitude of forumites is that of making comments to tarnish the image of Islam, Muslims or the North in general. Most forumites intentionally ignore the fact that both Muslims & christians are affected by this scorge called Boko-Haram, Muslim scholars, whom have gone against boko-Haram, have been killed, when Bombs are thrown at voting centres it is the people of borno that have been killed. We shouldn't make Boko-Haram look like a group fighting for the interest of the North, or a grouped backed by the North. Boko-Haram is a delusional sect, if amnesty is what will bring peace to that region then why not.

Journalist should be interested , in getting the Boko-Haram side of the story, but trust nigerian journos, they would rather sit in the confines of their home and concort stories. It is a popular opinion in Maiduguri that the police started the crisis, it was reported that before the crisis Boko-Haram members on their okadas were on a procession to bury a dead member, then they were accosted by the police, who demanded that they should turn back because be they have failed to wear their helmets (the law was just being implemented then), the Boko-Haram members in their stubborn character were defiant and insisted that they were on their way to the cemetry and not on commmercial duty and hence should not be stopped, it was said the police resisted and opened fire killing 9 and injuring so many others. It was said Police further prevented Boko-Haram members from taking their injured to the hospital, thereby causing more deaths, it was at this point that the deputy leader (it was said their leader Mohammed Yusuf wass in Kaduna at the time), declared war against the police, and they went on a rampage attacking police men and sacking them from their stations (quite embarassing), the military stepped in and dealt with them.
But rather than follow the rule of law, the police decideed to go the way of "jungle justice" and killed their leader, this is what further infuriated Boko-Haram (at the time I thought it was only fair, that their leader was given a dose of his own medicine), and made them release the beast in them.

With benefit of hindsight, insurgents are never easy to extinguish, you can reduce their presence or covereage, but occassionally they will be giving surprise attacks. I think it is best for us to negotiate and grant amnesty if that is what will solve the problem. And if dividing the nation is the solution you all want, I have found a formular that would work, LET THE SOUTH-WEST, SOUTH-EAST and may be MIDDLE-BELT, come together and secede and leave the SOUTH-SOUTH and the NORTH  to remain Nigeria. I think this could be more easily achieved.
Re: Senators, Reps Back Amnesty For Boko Haram by JaaizTech: 3:50pm On Jul 17, 2011
cold:

Kill one man & you're called a murderer,kill a thousand & you're called to a roundtable.That is the nature of man but what I fail to fathom is why would any right thinking leader grant amnesty to this group.On what basis?What are they fighting for?
Well if that man/group still retains the ability to cause more thousands of deaths then why wouldn't you call him to the round-table to seek a more amicable settlement. Crushing Boko-Haram tooth and nail would have been the ideal solution, but since it appears we don't have the capacity to achieve that, rather than allowing the thing to escalate and make another Somalia out of Nigeria, why not make compromises, throw some few cash around, buy some of their loyalists and see if that works. I think Govt. can deal with them silently later, but at the moment we just need to break them up. I am sure some of them are interested in amnesty, you know the "oil-money", and of course some of them are just trouble makers. But whatever can break them up and turn them against each other is in the interest of this nation.
Re: Senators, Reps Back Amnesty For Boko Haram by cold(m): 3:52pm On Jul 17, 2011
JaaizTech:

Well if that man/group still retains the ability to cause more thousands of deaths then why wouldn't you call him to the round-table to seek a more amicable settlement. Crushing Boko-Haram tooth and nail would have been the ideal solution, but since it appears we don't have the capacity to achieve that, rather than allowing the thing to escalate and make another Somalia out of Nigeria, why not make compromises, throw some few cash around, buy some of their loyalists and see if that works. I think Govt. can deal with them silently later, but at the moment we just need to break them up. I am sure some of them are interested in amnesty, you know the "oil-money", and of course some of them are just trouble makers. But whatever can break them up and turn them against each other is in the interest of this nation.
Stop skirting around the issue.The question remains:What are they fighting for?
Re: Senators, Reps Back Amnesty For Boko Haram by MMM2(m): 4:01pm On Jul 17, 2011
Fu-ck all of dem angry
Re: Senators, Reps Back Amnesty For Boko Haram by Nobody: 4:21pm On Jul 17, 2011
ok i have heard enough, I think jaaiztech just fell and bumped his head on a rock by saying the rest of the country should secede and leave the north and the south south to be nigeria,
i believe no northerner wants this country to split, and if it is to split, the oil rich south should be left with them,
when we had pyramid of groundnut from the north, no southerner could come out and say he owned any, today all the oil blocks in the south is owned by alhaji this and alhaji that,
angry angry angry
Re: Senators, Reps Back Amnesty For Boko Haram by iz2much: 4:39pm On Jul 17, 2011
those senators are the mole in government and i think they should be killed or held for further investigation. how on earth wil the be granted amnesty ?
After all the got nothing meaningful the country. sad idiots
Re: Senators, Reps Back Amnesty For Boko Haram by kpogede77: 6:35pm On Jul 17, 2011
@Jaaiztech

Na Ogun go kill you for that statement, so we have become a conquered territory for Arabs in the north?
why don't you draw the map of north and south-south country. The more reason why Nigeria will not know peace. You think amnesty will solve the problem. It is easier to stop Boko Haram through force than to confront the problem that will follow the amnesty. So many groups will spring up and their target may just be senators, reps members and the bombing of government house across the country. I hope you know that the Niger Delta issue has not been addressed, the amnesty was just to get the boys out of the creek in order to address the issue which include SNC, resource control, etc. The president of Ijaw monitoring group said it yesterday that Jonathan presidency has nothing to do with the Ijaw agenda, he said if GEJ does not toll the part of Isaac Boro and Sarowiwa, he will have himself to blame, his house in the village may even be a target. If the FG gives Boko Haram amnesty, it means that the niger delta people were compensated for the violence and not the oil and they will demand compensation for the oil too through another wave of violence that GEJ himself cannot control. WHAT WILL BE THE CASE OF HENRY OKAH, CHARLES OKAH AND OTHER MEND FIGHTERS THAT ARE BEING PROSECUTED?
When the problem will start the same people will accuse GEJ of incompetence.Maiduguri war does not affect the income of the FG but the war that is coming will not only shut down oil production but it will polarize the entire nation. Only a fool will grant amnesty to Boko Haram. BABA CALL IT AMNESTY ABUSE
Re: Senators, Reps Back Amnesty For Boko Haram by topeabos: 6:36pm On Jul 17, 2011
It seems dat diz our rep has gone mad overnight.what amnesty do u want to give to pipl dat mascar other people's life,diz is first class madness.d only amnesty they can give 2 diz pipl is just 2 send troop of soldiers to them and wipe them off at once.
Re: Senators, Reps Back Amnesty For Boko Haram by GOZILLA(m): 6:42pm On Jul 17, 2011
I guess its time for MASSOB to chop government money
Re: Senators, Reps Back Amnesty For Boko Haram by maasoap(m): 7:55pm On Jul 17, 2011
When did amnesty translate sending pardoned criminals to abroad? I think amnesty is about "go and sin no more". Niger Delta militants claimed they were fighting for the development of their region, today they're collecting #65,000 per month only for them to announce to Nigerians on independent day that they have changed name from militants to terrorists. If some of the terrorists from the Niger Delta could abandon their struggle because of personal gain, I think some Boko Haram terrorists should emulate them. After all, they are brothers in arms struggle and termination of innocent souls as well as destruction of properties.
Note: amnesty doesn't mean spending govt money on pardoned terrorists.
Re: Senators, Reps Back Amnesty For Boko Haram by talktrue1(m): 8:02pm On Jul 17, 2011
The Amnesty should be extended to Kidnappers in Aba, and also the armed robbers at Onitsha. Many lives have been lost through this people
Dividends of Democrazy
Re: Senators, Reps Back Amnesty For Boko Haram by malele(m): 9:56pm On Jul 17, 2011
Boko Haram wants to impose strict Islamic law across the north, and it rejects Nigeria's constitution and federal government.
i wonder why a group that wants something like that will be given amnesty
Re: Senators, Reps Back Amnesty For Boko Haram by PXtB(m): 9:58pm On Jul 17, 2011
I'm not at all surprised at the call for amnesty by northern lawmakers I mean BH sympathisers and financiers. When BH were throwing bombs and killing "unbelievers", the killing was "senseful" and no northern lawmaker asked them to stop. Now that FG sent JTF to fish out the blood-thirsty murderers, JTF's killings became "senseless" and the so-called northern lawmakers are asking FG to withdraw JTF. Shameless mediocres!
Where were the northern lawmakers when BH were killing every "non-believer" at sight?
Where were the northern lawmakers when scores of promising Youth Corpers were brutally murdered in Bauchi after the April elections? Oh those killings were "senseful" and deserved no attention. Hypocrites!!!
The nemesis of long years of blood shed is catching up with the northern leaders and now they are commanding President to withdraw JTF and declare amnesty as if GEJ is their houseboy. An old adage says that when the corpse of another person's child is being carried, it feels as if it's firewood. By the time you carry the corpse of you own child, then you understand how it really feels. Now not only "non-believers" are being killed, even "believers" are also dying and that's why the northern leaders are calling for amnesty. Amnesty indeed! This is just the beginning. What makes them think that all the innocent blood of "non-believers" they (northern muslims) have shed over the decades would keep silent. The law of Karma says whatever you do to others would come back to you. I hate to talk about these islamic killings but I was compelled after reading the silly call for amnesty by the so-called northern lawmakers. They are making mockery of Nigerian legislature and the world is laughing!
Re: Senators, Reps Back Amnesty For Boko Haram by boyt1: 10:57pm On Jul 17, 2011
i wish GEJ send more Military task force to Borno to expose the bad leaders supporting Boko Haram.
where are all the N. leaders, the Sultan Sokoto the Emir of Borno etc.
Re: Senators, Reps Back Amnesty For Boko Haram by Talkyaown: 11:16pm On Jul 17, 2011
why won't they support amnesty, when it's obvious the lion they tamed is now turning against them
Re: Senators, Reps Back Amnesty For Boko Haram by gaddafe(m): 11:55pm On Jul 17, 2011
Amnesty for BH? this is pure rubbish. Who will they be negotiating with. Unseen element?.What will they be negotiating about? is it how to create an Islamic state or Nation? or is it how to split the country? Total nonsense. I fully support the use of force since nobody has really come out from BH to negotiate anything.

Come to think of it, what are they really scared about? Why can't nobody come out from Boko Haram and negotiate? If they have the mind to comit a suicide attack why can't they have the mind to bring forward someone that will negotiate on their behalf. MEND did this, this was why the federal government was able to negotiate with them.The federal Govt even went as far as visiting MEND in the creeks. It was obvious MEND wanted peaceful negotiation.

The only condition when GEJ should start considering negotiating with them is if he is ready to split this country into at leaast 2 unequal half.
Re: Senators, Reps Back Amnesty For Boko Haram by mekaboy(m): 11:55pm On Jul 17, 2011
[b]

THERE IS FIRE ON THE MOUNTAIN , RUN , RUN, RUN, A BIG BIG FIRE ,  RUN RUN RUN !!!!1 grin grin grin grin grin

THOSE SENATORS THAT ASKED FOR AMNESTY SHOULD BE SENTENCED TO DEATH BY FIRING SQUAD.

I GUESS THEY NEVER SAW IT COMING, WHEN THEY MOBILIZED THESE YOUTHS TO CAUSE TROUBLE TO MAKE IT SEEM LIKE GEJ IS NOT CAPABLE TO RUN THE AFFAIRS OF THIS NATION.

WHEN THE BOKO HARAM WHERE THROWING BOMBS UP AND DOWN THEY DID NOT COMPLAIN,  THEY DONT KNOW THAT WHEN ONE KILLS A SOLDIER, THEY HAVE AUTOMATICALLY DECLARED WAR, AND THERE ARE ALWAYS CASUALTIES IN A WAR.

THE CITIZENS OF BORNO STATE KNOW WHO THESE BOKO HARAM MEMBERS ARE, BUT IN THE NAME OF RELIGION THEY CHOOSE TO HIDE THEM, NO CITIZEN OF THE STATE HAS EVER WALKED UP TO THE POLICE OR ARMY TO GIVE OUT INFORMATION ABOUT BOKO HARAM.   YET THE BOKOHARAM KILL SOLDIERS AND POLICE. LET THEM REAP WHAT THEY SOW.

GEJ IGNORE THEM.  THE BLOOD OF THE INNOCENT CITIZENS WILL HUNT THEM.   WHAT CAN U NEGOTIATE WITH PIGS? THEY HAVE NO GOOD REASON TO BACK UP THEIR ACTION. IF THEY ARE GRANTED AMNESTY .

TOMMOROW ANOTHER GROUP WILL START BOMBING AND SAY THEY DONT WANT PEOPLE EATING RICE  grin grin

[/b]
Re: Senators, Reps Back Amnesty For Boko Haram by Nobody: 12:09am On Jul 18, 2011
THIS SENATORS MUST BE HIGH ON I.G.B.O' VERY SILLY MEN!
Re: Senators, Reps Back Amnesty For Boko Haram by chimaike: 7:56am On Jul 18, 2011
May Amdioha (God of Thunder) finish all of them with their generations. They are bunch of fools. GEJ no listen to those fools, by the time you give them amesty be ready to gove MASSOB, OPC and other groups. Amnesty for Niger Delta is understandable, their localities provide the vast revenue for our country, wetin those area dey contribute to demand amnesty. Rubbish
Re: Senators, Reps Back Amnesty For Boko Haram by omo9ja1(m): 8:16am On Jul 18, 2011
Giving BH amnesty may be the way forward, but the minitry presence in Borno should not be withdrawn
Re: Senators, Reps Back Amnesty For Boko Haram by Reference(m): 8:21am On Jul 18, 2011
The best amnesty is to sort out the wanton corruption and establish social justice which the distinguished senators and representatives should be prosecuting. This escapee attitude will only tighten the screws. Why are people persistently asking for their (BH) agenda. Its meaningless. Just a wake up call. Just sort out the country and brother will turn against brother, simple. As the elites tighten the economic screws the masses are merely crying out. I don't feel the killings are justified in any way, shape or manner but the government knowingly and unknowingly has created the perfect storm and put in place every part of the machinery called militancy everywhere in Nigeria.

When are we going to wake up in this country. Boko is a political scepter turning on its creators. Odili did the same in Rivers. Like nuclear energy, it is easier to turn on than to quench. And like those dreaded isotopes these groups have a half life and will eventually run out of energy very much on their own. But since we have no means of harnessing the wave of positive energy these sad events provide (such as looking inwards, restructuring our nation, ending corruption, establishing institutions and entrenching social justice) like Fukushima all we can do is to keep on pouring water to cool them down to avoid a more lethal blowout. That is what their amnesty says to me. Its more about them than its about Boko Haram.

The Americans have had their civil war and come out stronger and more united, the two world wars made the chief protagonists - Germany and Japan super powers today. Iraq is fast becoming a giant in all aspects in the middle East and even Afghanistan with all the battles going on probably has more hours of electricity a day and more people coming out of poverty than our great nation by the minute.

Yes Niger Delta militants were bad, Boko Haram is badder (permit me) but the baddest calamity yet are those who insist on pouring water on the melting fuel rods just to save their own skin and preserve their ruinous ways of life.
Re: Senators, Reps Back Amnesty For Boko Haram by chimaike: 8:28am On Jul 18, 2011
blacksta:

What is good for the geese is also good for gander . If you can grant basterds in ND amnesty hence same should apply to the BAs tards in the North
it is the only way a failed government can handle this matter ( Invite them to come and Chop)

Guy i am disappointed with your statement, Niger delta at least they have cause to fight for Amnesty, vast revenue of this country is gtten from Oil, where is the Oil wells located, is it in Borno, Kano Sokoto etc? This norther people shold be breatful we are together and they are benefiting from the allocation that comes with oil revenue. As far as i am concern, the Niger Delta has a good cause to figtht, what cause do those teriorist have?
Re: Senators, Reps Back Amnesty For Boko Haram by chimaike: 8:32am On Jul 18, 2011
omo9ja1:

Giving BH amnesty may be the way forward, but the minitry presence in Borno should not be withdrawn

If FG gives them amnesty, they should be ready to give the MASSOB amnesty, is it only one region or group that has the potential to make trouble or cause restiveness. It is not only BOKO HARAM that can throw bombs, the MASSOB can equally throw bombs. Rubbish Amnety, Amnesty ni Amnesty ko.
Re: Senators, Reps Back Amnesty For Boko Haram by Nobody: 8:43am On Jul 18, 2011
in military parlance its termed collateral damage

am good for it as long as it roots out those coward clowns from the tip of their beards
Re: Senators, Reps Back Amnesty For Boko Haram by dexed(m): 8:56am On Jul 18, 2011
Nigeria a very funny country, terrorists been rewarded for terrorism, thats what i see this as. If they BH are granted amnesty, more terrorists groups would arise.
Re: Senators, Reps Back Amnesty For Boko Haram by kulutempa: 9:52am On Jul 18, 2011
dexed:

Nigeria a very funny country, terrorists been rewarded for terrorism, thats what i see this as. If they BH are granted amnesty, more terrorists groups would arise.

Of course.  It is called "moral hazard" but to our leaders that expression means the same as "Boko Haram" because they have similar sounding
vowels grin
Re: Senators, Reps Back Amnesty For Boko Haram by sylve11: 10:15am On Jul 18, 2011
i swear. i'd like to see this country split cool
Re: Senators, Reps Back Amnesty For Boko Haram by teskyg: 10:44am On Jul 18, 2011
The hidden financiers of BKH has began to manifest.The JTF is getting close to unmasked those behind BKH.They want to divert their attention.March on JTF .

It is better for everybody to leave the town for only JTF and BKH lets know who will come out smiling.It is so annoying and i feel like hitting those so called Elders asking for the withdrawal of Soldiers from the streets.
Re: Senators, Reps Back Amnesty For Boko Haram by DeepSoul(f): 11:32am On Jul 18, 2011

Boko Haram is fighting for proper implentation of Sharia Law.
Government decides to give them amnesty.

According to my dictionary, Amensty = an official pardon for people who have been convicted of political offences.

Before you pardon a person, isn't the person supposed to be remorseful?
Granting Boko Haram amnesty does not in any way help them realise their cause (implementing sharia)
So, abeg, what is the point of all this rubbish?
Re: Senators, Reps Back Amnesty For Boko Haram by sweetgala(m): 12:10pm On Jul 18, 2011
The FG needs to set up a system where the presence of the JTF is used to keep peace and calm while setting up a curfew till normality is returned. The JTF don't need to be used to fight the BH but as a peace keeping force( the problem is the BH would still attack them and you know 9ja army would be happy to play) the SSS should be used to crush this BH sect . Information needs to be gathered to prosecute the sponsors and I don't expect the army to be capable of getting data on the secrets of BH.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Full List Of Newly Elected 109 Senators / Subsidy Removal: No Provision For N5000 Transport Grant In 2022 Budget – Senate / Osisikankwu, Leader Of Aba-based Kidnap Gang, Declared Wanted

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.