Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,186,091 members, 7,928,312 topics. Date: Thursday, 22 August 2024 at 12:16 PM

Covenant University: Accounting Student Graduates With 4.99 GPA - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Covenant University: Accounting Student Graduates With 4.99 GPA (31766 Views)

Emmanuel Ohuabunwa Earned 3.98 GPA At John Hopkins University / She Graduated With A CGPA Of 4.99 From Covenant University / I Was Very Sad When I Had A B, Says Graduate With 4.99 Cgpa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Covenant University: Accounting Student Graduates With 4.99 GPA by Jarus(m): 9:34am On Jul 27, 2011
Secondly, Does that mean that he knows all the courses from A to Z even better than his lecturers who marked his script

Not necessarily. All he needs is score 70%(miss 30%) in every course. You can still score A and not know everything!

Meanwhile, the 'stark olodo' to 'genius' story get as e be o
Re: Covenant University: Accounting Student Graduates With 4.99 GPA by mitje(m): 9:37am On Jul 27, 2011
Geez, haters-why are they constantly all over this place??
Re: Covenant University: Accounting Student Graduates With 4.99 GPA by werepeLeri: 9:39am On Jul 27, 2011
@Okija Juju

It seems you stopped schooling at the primary school level.

You do not need to score 100% to get a 4.99 CGPA - u only need to make an A - 70% or whatever grade is used. And you and I will be fools if we think no one can maintain a straight As in all his or her courses even in a 5 year course. It is nothing new.

Only dullards wonder how it is possible for someone to make a 4.99 CGPA.
Re: Covenant University: Accounting Student Graduates With 4.99 GPA by Okijajuju1(m): 9:40am On Jul 27, 2011
For starters, my schools grading system was the 'Credit weighted average' CWA system, And I'm guessing the system is similar in its scoring, But from what I'm gathering, a 90 and a 70 makes no diff since both are an A. So a student whi made a 70 in all his courses and a student who made a 90 in all his courses (uniformly) would both graduate with the same Grade point average , Please correct me if I have misunderstood y'all

@ knight 1, What is the average grade he would need to make in all his courses to make a 1000 credit point total?

@ Chamber 2:: I'm not attacking the dude, He might just be a first class brain for all we know but what I'm in doubt of is the mathematical possibility of achievin a 4.99 GPA, For those of us who were graded on the CWA system, it sounds like someone graduating with a 99.99% CWA, Which is just downright impossible,

@ Baba O:: I may have been all over the place in my arguement but correct me if I am wrong, A 4.99 Grade point Average should be the approximate of. 99.9% CWA, This means the kid must have aced every test, assignment and examination (including his project) with a minimum score of not less than 95%. Now my maths may be rusty, but if we factor in the credit hour influence on a mark and the almost certain im possibility of making 95 in all your paper, how possible is it for someone (anyone) to make. 4.99 GPA (approximately 99.9% CWA) in any course?! Especially accounting, ?! Now if I have misunderstood the GPA grading system then please feel free to school me,

My point is mathematically it is damn near impossible, logical reasoning also can't accept this, Also this is CU we are talking about here, a school that graduates more 1st class students than 15 federal universities put together,
Re: Covenant University: Accounting Student Graduates With 4.99 GPA by 190: 9:41am On Jul 27, 2011
HOW CAN SOMEONE GRADUATE WITH 419

IS THAT A COURSE
Re: Covenant University: Accounting Student Graduates With 4.99 GPA by Ayoobscom(m): 9:47am On Jul 27, 2011
Instead of impressing it is rather worrisome for the accademic quality and the endangered future of the innocent Mr.ubong

He might be good but allotting any student with such artificial grade should be discouraged

Come to think of the written aspect.has he always scored 101/100?

Goodluck to you Mr ubong but never write this grade on your forehead
Re: Covenant University: Accounting Student Graduates With 4.99 GPA by dustydee: 9:49am On Jul 27, 2011
dustydee:

for the not so smart ones who think it is impossible see a simple calculation:
course unit GPA
4 20
3 15
3 15
3 15
3 15
3 15
3 15
3 15
3 15
3 15
3 15
3 15
3 15
3 15
3 15
3 15
3 15
3 15
3 15
3 15
3 15
3 15
2 10
2 10
2 10
2 10
2 10
2 10
2 10
2 10
2 10
2 10
2 10
2 10
2 10
2 10
2 10
2 10
2 10
2 10
2 10
2 10
2 10
2 10
2 10
2 10
2 10
2 10
1 5
1 5
1 5
1 4
6 30
Total course unit =129 cummulative grade point=644  CGPA=4.992248062

Okija_juju:

For starters, my schools grading system was the 'Credit weighted average' CWA system, And I'm guessing the system is similar in its scoring, But from what I'm gathering, a 90 and a 70 makes no diff since both are an A. So a student whi made a 70 in all his courses and a student who made a 90 in all his courses (uniformly) would both graduate with the same Grade point average , Please correct me if I have misunderstood y'all

@ knight 1, What is the average grade he would need to make in all his courses to make a 1000 credit point total?

@ Chamber 2:: I'm not attacking the dude, He might just be a first class brain for all we know but what I'm in doubt of is the mathematical possibility of achievin a 4.99 GPA, For those of us who were graded on the CWA system, it sounds like someone graduating with a 99.99% CWA, Which is just downright impossible,

@ Baba O:: I may have been all over the place in my arguement but correct me if I am wrong, A 4.99 Grade point Average should be the approximate of. 99.9% CWA, This means the kid must have aced every test, assignment and examination (including his project) with a minimum score of not less than 95%. Now my maths may be rusty, but if we factor in the credit hour influence on a mark and the almost certain im possibility of making 95 in all your paper, how possible is it for someone (anyone) to make. 4.99 GPA (approximately 99.9% CWA) in any course?! Especially accounting, ?! Now if I have misunderstood the GPA grading system then please feel free to school me,

My point is mathematically it is damn near impossible, logical reasoning also can't accept this, Also this is CU we are talking about here, a school that graduates more 1st class students than 15 federal universities put together,
see how it is calculated. it is not impossible.
Re: Covenant University: Accounting Student Graduates With 4.99 GPA by maclatunji: 9:53am On Jul 27, 2011
I am sure this guy will not write ICAN but will write ACCA. Let us see if his results there will be so fantastic!
Re: Covenant University: Accounting Student Graduates With 4.99 GPA by dabraska: 9:56am On Jul 27, 2011
Jarus:

Not necessarily. All he needs is score 70%(miss 30%) in every course. You can still score A and not know everything!

go and read d Ben Carson's story! u'll knw he was a stark olodo too
Re: Covenant University: Accounting Student Graduates With 4.99 GPA by ikoha: 10:03am On Jul 27, 2011
nairalanders una no kill me for my mama oooo. laff wan tear my obrokos. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Covenant University: Accounting Student Graduates With 4.99 GPA by BabaO2: 10:18am On Jul 27, 2011

hmmm, but i think 70% is A- which is 4.0 or have they changed it?
Re: Covenant University: Accounting Student Graduates With 4.99 GPA by maxtop(m): 10:20am On Jul 27, 2011
With all due respect to Mr. Ubong, I am not hating here but i think the score is somehow over exaggerated and absurd, this is because as a student you will have that moment whereby you are down and cant even do anything. The result is completely not achievable, unrealistic.

From what i learned, students in private institutions dont  have carry over when they fail a particular course instead, they "re-sit" that particular course when they school is on break, so what did you expect. Mr. Ubong can be a good student no doubt about that but having accumulate a total cumulative grade point calls for concerned.

I wish him all the best in his endeavour  but he should have it at the back of his mind that people are watching now !!
Re: Covenant University: Accounting Student Graduates With 4.99 GPA by chamber2(m): 10:22am On Jul 27, 2011

My point is mathematically it is damn near impossible, logical reasoning also can't accept this,  Also this is CU we are talking about here, a school that graduates more 1st class students than 15 federal universities put together,

It is possible. I did show that here;

In my school back in the days.This is how GPAs are calculated;

1 unit=6 points
2units=10points
3units=15 points

An A=70%.So, someone who made 90% in a course and his mate who made 70% will be in the same grade of A.

So, if you make an A in a one unit course you get 6 points and so on.

Assuming this guy took 50 courses and made 49 As and a B, then there is possibility that he may graduate with a CGPA of 4.99
===========================================================================================================

@jarus

it is possible for one not to be very smart at the secondary school level and yet make a first class.Not really an olodo as you put it, but someone with an average intelligence.The difference is that he/she will have to struggle very hard to make it compare to his mates who were very smart at the sec sch level.My secondary sch mate who made a 1st class was never among the best in our class then.
Re: Covenant University: Accounting Student Graduates With 4.99 GPA by bobbyL(m): 10:27am On Jul 27, 2011
You have to give him due respect though the fact that it was covenant university waters down the prestige of the cgpa. However, he was the best in C.u, so kudos to him. BTW, is it true that CU churns out MANY first class graduates. How many were the graduates and how many were first class graduates.
Re: Covenant University: Accounting Student Graduates With 4.99 GPA by ikoha: 10:31am On Jul 27, 2011
well guyz to say my mind, if virgin mary could get pregnant by the power of the holy spirit, i believe, this guy could as well get a humanly impossible 7.99 grin grin grin grin. CU is located in a church environment where the power of the holy spirit is uncontrollably available 24/7 via sunday services, midweek services, night vigils, prayer meetings, shiloh, youth conferences and a litany of other church programs. holy spirit must have knocked his putty brain open in any of those instances. just another miracle. c'mon! praise the lord somebody!!!!!!
Re: Covenant University: Accounting Student Graduates With 4.99 GPA by gogodaye(m): 10:34am On Jul 27, 2011
Una see na for only for naija dis majic dem dey take place. I still dey wait to see wen dis first class students from privatley owned and run creches, play group, pre-nursery, nursery, primary, secondary and university dem go beat the rest of us for cow bell national mathematics competition for secondary schools for naija as well as zain quiz competition for universities for africa. Na today we dey see fraudulent parents paying for grades for dem not too good enough children. Rubbish. A nation still in self denial.
Re: Covenant University: Accounting Student Graduates With 4.99 GPA by gogodaye(m): 10:37am On Jul 27, 2011
Una see na for only for naija dis majic dem dey take place. I still dey wait to see wen dis first class students from privatley owned and run creches, play group, pre-nursery, nursery, primary, secondary and university dem go beat the rest of us for cow bell national mathematics competition for secondary schools for naija as well as zain quiz competition for universities for africa. Na today we dey see fraudulent parents paying for grades for dem not too good enough children. Rubbish. A nation still in self denial.
Re: Covenant University: Accounting Student Graduates With 4.99 GPA by Jarus(m): 10:39am On Jul 27, 2011
@jarus

it is possible for one not to be very smart at the secondary school level and yet make a first class.Not really an olodo as you put it, but someone with an average intelligence.The difference is that he/she will have to struggle very hard to make it compare to his mates who were very smart at the sec sch level.My secondary sch mate who made a 1st class was never among the best in our class then.
Agreeable.
Only that most people I know that made First Class have history of brilliance throughout right from their primary thru secondary schools, and the few exceptions were still above average or clearly had the potential but unserious/unmotivated in their lower levels.
Re: Covenant University: Accounting Student Graduates With 4.99 GPA by favouredjb(f): 10:42am On Jul 27, 2011
wow,congrats to the young chap.but seriously i ll join d multitude by saying,his gp is equivalent to a 3.something in a fed or state university
Re: Covenant University: Accounting Student Graduates With 4.99 GPA by chamber2(m): 10:44am On Jul 27, 2011
Only that most people I know that made First Class have history of brilliance throughout right from their primary thru secondary schools, and the few exceptions were still above average or clearly had the potential but unserious/unmotivated in their lower levels.

Exactly
Re: Covenant University: Accounting Student Graduates With 4.99 GPA by Nobody: 10:54am On Jul 27, 2011
can't people just congratulate and move on? goodness

Well done to him smiley
Re: Covenant University: Accounting Student Graduates With 4.99 GPA by bobbyL(m): 10:54am On Jul 27, 2011
@dabraska, Ben Carson started reading and changing(due to maternal influence) when he was 8 years old not after he finished high school. I agree with others, it is highly implausible that someone with a low or, let me say, below average sec schl background-which I bliv is fundamental to further academic success-would graduate with the highest ever cgpa in a place where others that have a better foundation mentally and academically exist-unless of course, he resorts to cramming (which is easier at university level) almost all the way, as I have observed in some, or becomes one of the "hidden talent" exceptions that appear once in a while.
Re: Covenant University: Accounting Student Graduates With 4.99 GPA by executinal(m): 10:58am On Jul 27, 2011
MeGaStReEt:

Bad advertisement for CU. This is bad news to CU

What booolshyt!!! Did he suddenly grew magic brain when he got to the University In this case, I dont smell a rat but an antelope

It happens, my younger brother, during his junior secondary school days, he hardly pass exams, But when he got to higher level i.e from SS1 - SS3 he became one of the best student among his school mate.
Re: Covenant University: Accounting Student Graduates With 4.99 GPA by lavendar: 11:07am On Jul 27, 2011
the guy really deserves it coz i know him very well nd hez really hard workn and intelligent. so pls stop sayn tins u're ny sure of. and d reason why sum1 can get such result from covenant is because d lecturers don't compromise,dey give u wot u get unlike oda schools where dey reduce ur marks just because dey don't want u to pass xtremely nd bsides dere are little or no distractions for students,so no 1 would ave an excuse for failing.[color=#000099][/color]
Re: Covenant University: Accounting Student Graduates With 4.99 GPA by Mobinga: 11:13am On Jul 27, 2011
Can he get this in UniPort, OAU or UI? Its not worth a 4.0 in any federal university.
Re: Covenant University: Accounting Student Graduates With 4.99 GPA by member479760: 11:15am On Jul 27, 2011
person wey no fit cross cut-off mark for tough uni, don clear all.
Re: Covenant University: Accounting Student Graduates With 4.99 GPA by darqly(m): 11:27am On Jul 27, 2011
Congratulate the lad and stop with all the comparisons to all these FED universities that have zero facilities, compromised testing methods and pompous lecturers whose only purpose is to shoot down highflying students.
Look at the grammar of the so called Fed uni graduates on this simple forum.
Re: Covenant University: Accounting Student Graduates With 4.99 GPA by Cuddlemii: 11:28am On Jul 27, 2011
U people better not incur the wrath of God. You have nothing to prove that it's false so why criticize the graduate in that manner. I congratulate him any which ways because he must have put in some sort of effort. I don't think Covenant University would want to expose themselves to ridicule cos Oyedepo is a strategic business man who will make sure that the guy is intelligent & worth showing off. He knows ICAN, ACCA & all might want to test the guy's ability. So trust me Oyedepo wears his thinking cap.

As for all of you judging private university & Covenant, please learn to treat people as individuals and not generalizing. There are some dull brains I went to secondary school with who graduated with extremely good grades in the UK. I didn't draw up any conclusion but rejoiced with them because I was uncertain & did not want to make a fool out of myself. Its very possible to become serious in Uni when reality sets in and you get advise from older peers to learn from their mistakes. Excelling in life and productivity in the labour market is about your commitment & individual goals. Its about making yourself the product. The head of my department didn't go to Uni but has several IT certifications but My lord the brain that guy has, he sef knows and shows off. Everyone wants to buy him over too. He is too productive making him indispensable & he is just 28. There is nothing outside IT he doesn't know too.

Stop assuming things. God works in mysterious ways. Maybe the guy was a laughing stock in sch for cheating and he committed his life to God and God has written that he would be great.
Re: Covenant University: Accounting Student Graduates With 4.99 GPA by ypad: 11:32am On Jul 27, 2011
Enabling environment 'll make a student perform very well. how can a student do well in an environment where there are no electricity, water, accommodation (6-8 students/room), no internet facilities, empty library, no standard lab, zero security, no sporting facilities, half bath lecturers, universities are shut down either because of strike or election or insecurity etc? How?

A friend of mine was withdrawn in one of the Fed. University in Nigeria because he could not meet up with the requirement. he got admission in Europe and graduated as one of the best students in medicine.
Re: Covenant University: Accounting Student Graduates With 4.99 GPA by rahouf1: 11:40am On Jul 27, 2011
congratulation bro
atleast we can be proud of our dearly country more to come.
Cheers
Re: Covenant University: Accounting Student Graduates With 4.99 GPA by mikechrisgeneral(m): 11:45am On Jul 27, 2011
The boy go find job for 4.99 yrs
me wee come out wit 4.1.9 GPA
Still dey find job up to 419 months
Re: Covenant University: Accounting Student Graduates With 4.99 GPA by mikechrisgeneral(m): 11:46am On Jul 27, 2011
The boy go find job for 4.99 yrs
me wee come out wit 4.1.9 GPA
Still dey find job up to 419 months

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

FG Sets 18 Years As Minimum Entry Age Into Tertiary Institutions / Students Sitting Down To Learn In Kebbi State (Photos) / Nigeria Universities With Standard Teaching Hospitals

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.