Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,178,905 members, 7,906,397 topics. Date: Wednesday, 31 July 2024 at 10:19 AM

Nigeria: Do We Have An Army? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria: Do We Have An Army? (13455 Views)

Nigerian Military Design The Back Of An Army ( Photo ) / Boko Haram Militants Showing Off Weapons From An Army Barack Raid (VIDEO) / What a Senator Earns In Nigeria - Do Or Die Affair N 29 479 749 Per Year (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria: Do We Have An Army? by Mariory(m): 5:24pm On Aug 16, 2007
Tunisia, Angola, and Ethiopia? I don't think so.

Morrocco and Algeria yes. That's a given.

@texazzpete
Three years ago, one Naija Chief of Army Staff was jubilating that they've started manufacturing Mortars and mortar rounds in the DICON plant.
Mortars are little more than hollow tubes, and the rounds are easy enough to make, yet the guy was expectingus to be happy.

So mortar tubes and rounds are easy to make? You are funny

Having the ability to produce and having the ability to deploy military hardware are two different things. What is wrong in being happy that we can produce our own mortars instead of buying them like most African countries do?

The Nigerian military has been upgrading it's hardware for a couple of years now. We are the only country in West Africa that are strong enough to deploy and maintain combat formations several miles outside our borders.
Re: Nigeria: Do We Have An Army? by Iman3(m): 5:38pm On Aug 16, 2007
Mariory:

Tunisia, Angola, and Ethiopia? I don't think so.
Morrocco and Algeria yes. That's a given.

In terms of size,combat experience,reputation,equipment-The aforementioned nations have stronger militaries than Nigeria.
Re: Nigeria: Do We Have An Army? by wendymanda: 5:59pm On Aug 16, 2007
So we are stronger than most African countries except South Africa, Egypt, Morrocco, Algeria. Why don't we just say we have a good military and leave it at that. So far FOur other countries are better than us. We can be in like fifth place and still swaggling and claiming to be the best.
Re: Nigeria: Do We Have An Army? by lovemajek(f): 9:34pm On Aug 16, 2007
we are still the best for west africa.
Re: Nigeria: Do We Have An Army? by Sijien(m): 8:51pm On Aug 17, 2007
but this topic is now boring sha. of all the armies in africa it is only us that they always beg for peace mission. why?
Re: Nigeria: Do We Have An Army? by lovemajek(f): 9:42pm On Aug 17, 2007
because we are good at keeping peace.
Re: Nigeria: Do We Have An Army? by Sijien(m): 9:49pm On Aug 17, 2007
na wa 4 u sha grin
Re: Nigeria: Do We Have An Army? by lovemajek(f): 9:56pm On Aug 17, 2007
am just answering your question.
Re: Nigeria: Do We Have An Army? by MP007(m): 6:57am On Aug 19, 2007
It ridiculous and dishearting to see people cpmapring the nigerian army to that of somalia, How dare u? I know naija aremy aintthat strong oo but haba , compared to that of poverty strickened somalia,, na bam bam , shut up, get da da stepping and stop posuing up shit
Re: Nigeria: Do We Have An Army? by texazzpete(m): 4:50pm On Aug 22, 2007
Mariory:

@texazzpete
So mortar tubes and rounds are easy to make? You are funny

Having the ability to produce and having the ability to deploy military hardware are two different things. What is wrong in being happy that we can produce our own mortars instead of buying them like most African countries do?

The Nigerian military has been upgrading it's hardware for a couple of years now. We are the only country in West Africa that are strong enough to deploy and maintain combat formations several miles outside our borders.

I have great pity for you. Mortars were invented and used extensively before world war 1. and that's before 1917. That's 90 years ago.
SO you're saying we should be jubilating because we've just started producing Mortars? A mortar is relatively simple and easy to operate. A modern mortar consists of a tube which gunners drop a shell into. A firing pin at the base of the tube detonates the propellant and fires the shell. That's just what it is!

We should be producing missiles with ranges of over 200km. Guided missiles at that. Yet we do not even make rockets as powerful as the V2 rockets used by Germany durng world war 2.

The South Africans have been making their own field guns and artillery for years now (since the 70s). at one point, they were reputed to have the best howitzer in the world. The Libyans have long become skilled at making their own tanks and advanced weaponry. Yet we quiver with joy when we manufacture a locally made assault rifle (Obj-1) and standard NATO 7.62mm bullets. Weird
Re: Nigeria: Do We Have An Army? by lovemajek(f): 1:47am On Aug 23, 2007
because we prefer to spend money on social things not war, war is not in our character.
Re: Nigeria: Do We Have An Army? by wendymanda: 2:09am On Aug 23, 2007
because we prefer to spend money on social things not war, war is not in our character.

Well we should prefer to spend moeny on Social things and not war. We haven't really done much socially.
Re: Nigeria: Do We Have An Army? by lovemajek(f): 2:12am On Aug 23, 2007
what about our social characters known all around the global villege.
Re: Nigeria: Do We Have An Army? by wendymanda: 2:23am On Aug 23, 2007
what about our social characters known all around the global village.

What character? 419?
Re: Nigeria: Do We Have An Army? by lovemajek(f): 2:36am On Aug 23, 2007
now you said something about naija that we dont want pple to put in our character.
Re: Nigeria: Do We Have An Army? by wendymanda: 2:41am On Aug 23, 2007
What character were you referring to earlier?
Re: Nigeria: Do We Have An Army? by lovemajek(f): 2:58am On Aug 23, 2007
culture, religious, good politicians, money transfer experts, suffering and smiling, best shit buyers, and lot of all known atrocity of the world.
Re: Nigeria: Do We Have An Army? by wendymanda: 3:01am On Aug 23, 2007
culture, religious, good politicians, money transfer experts, suffering and smiling, best shit buyers, and lot of all known atrocity of the world.

Well I thought you said 419 should not be included how can you say atrocities? Do we want people to know about that?
Re: Nigeria: Do We Have An Army? by lovemajek(f): 3:07am On Aug 23, 2007
some atrocities were necessary for global survival.
Re: Nigeria: Do We Have An Army? by wendymanda: 3:19am On Aug 23, 2007
some atrocities were necessary for global survival.
What does this mean?
Re: Nigeria: Do We Have An Army? by lovemajek(f): 3:21am On Aug 23, 2007
White lies, so they said.
Re: Nigeria: Do We Have An Army? by wendymanda: 3:33am On Aug 23, 2007
Do you mean like the Biafra war or the government staling money or what?
Re: Nigeria: Do We Have An Army? by lovemajek(f): 3:43am On Aug 23, 2007
I told you war is not in our character, keeping stealing and sending money in foreign account maybe yes.
Re: Nigeria: Do We Have An Army? by otuonye(m): 11:36am On Aug 23, 2007
Well, if you are wodering if Nigeria has ARMY or not, then come to PORT HARCOURT. A trial will convince you.

Joshua
Re: Nigeria: Do We Have An Army? by FACE(m): 2:18pm On Aug 23, 2007
@ Denex. Short Service Commission is a route throgh which graduates can join the Nigeria Armed Forces as commissioned officers without going through NDA. After the SS courses, they are commissioned as 2nd Lt in the army or its equivalent in the Navy and Airforce. Initially, SS Commissioned officers could not rise above a certain level, but i think that has now been reviewed. NDA soldiers do not see them as real soldiers anyway, but they are not reservists.

My friend is a frontline fighter pilot in NAF and he told me that the Airforce is equiped to deal with most forces in Africa, both within and outside our territory.

Nigerian army is generally known to be among the best organised in Africa and have proved themselves time and time.

It helps to manufacture your own arms, but that is not necessarily the be it all in weapon acquisition. Isreal is more or less equiped by the USA, i.e their most important weapons come from the US. America had to supply them with more arms, even against ordinary hezbollah.

It is very important to have allies and Nigeria has "brown nosed" enough to have allies that would readily sell her arms with no questions asked, but what we have now will surfice for our needs.
Re: Nigeria: Do We Have An Army? by zebra(m): 3:50pm On Aug 23, 2007
FACE:

My friend is a frontline fighter pilot in NAF and he told me that the Airforce is equiped to deal with most forces in Africa, both within and outside our territory.

Take am easy; na lie!! Whats your friends name?? The Nigerian Air Force is better called Nigerian Ground Force. Which planes do dey have at the moment?? The squadron of Alpha jets they bought during shagari regime which dey used to scare cameroon then have only about 2 or so flying. I was told this by one of my friends (Flt. Lt. ------------); a fighter pilot with the Air weapons School, NAF, New-Bussa, Kainji where the Alpha jet fighter squadron is. He is the youngest fighter pilot in the NAF at the moment. Are you going to use only 2 flying jets to fight and win a war?? The Nigerian Army infantary, armour and artillery put together to some extent can fight and win a war but i won't say they are the best in West Africa because they lack a lot of computerized systems and weapons which would have given them advantage.
Re: Nigeria: Do We Have An Army? by FACE(m): 6:07pm On Aug 23, 2007
@Zebra.
Your friend is under the command of people who are under the command of my friend at the same base but I am not going to give you my friend's name. Your friend informed you that we have just two Alfa jets and he flies one of them? Big lie!!

We have over 100 combat aircrafts. Our combat aircrafts are MIGs, SEPECAT jaguars and most recently the Chinese Chengdu fighters. My friend says that the air force is considering whether to ground the MIGs or upgrade them. We have numerous trainers and transport aircrafts and a few bombers. We also have dozens of attack and transport helicopters. We need a radar-jamming device.

Mind you, I never said that we will defeat all air force in Africa. I said that we are equipped to deal with most forces in Africa both within and outside our territory and I stand by the statement.
Re: Nigeria: Do We Have An Army? by Iman3(m): 6:10pm On Aug 23, 2007
FACE:

We have over 100 combat aircrafts. Our combat aircrafts are MIGs, SEPECAT jaguars and most recently the Chinese Chengdu fighters.

The question is not whether we have 1 million war planes but how many of them are airworthy.
Re: Nigeria: Do We Have An Army? by Digiman(m): 9:22pm On Aug 23, 2007
@ Zebra - you are not doing your friend any favours by mentioning his name here, remember its a public forum, its not the best place to discuss matters that concerning national security.

@FACE - The Chinese Chengdu fighters are nothing but advanced copy of a MIG fither jet , widened to accomodate two engines, also included is some technology copied from the F16. It's more advanced than the stock of MIG's, Jaguar's and Alphas the NAF has in its stable.

F-8IIM finback:
To improve the poor performance of J-8II, SAC (Shengyang Aircraft Co.) has developed F-8IIM, a private venture for the oversea market. Here an F-8IIM was displaying a variety of AAMs (PL-9, AA-10, PL-5B) it can carry at Zhuhai International Airshow in November. It features a Russian Zhuk-8II look-down, shoot-down radar (forward sphere 70km, rear sphere 40km), replacing the obsolete Type-208 radar onborad J-8II. The Zhuk-8II able to to track up to 10 targets and engage 2 targets simultaneously with radar-guided AAMs (e.g. PL-11 or AA-10), as well as to launch anti-ship missiles (e.g. Kh-31). Other improvements include new HUD and multi-functional display, combined INS/GPS, integrated ECM system, HOTAS control, a 3,000 hour life airframe and two upgraded WP-13AIII turbojet. The change in aerodynamics is minimum and aircraft is actually heavier, resulting in a slightly poorer maneuverability.

http://china-defense..com/2005/05/welcome-to-age-of-google-journalism.html

I suppose it meets NAF's immediate needs.
Re: Nigeria: Do We Have An Army? by lovemajek(f): 9:25pm On Aug 23, 2007
Please stop all these nonsence someone is reading all this posting, beware.
Re: Nigeria: Do We Have An Army? by wendymanda: 2:15am On Aug 24, 2007
Does this bit now explain whether Nigeria has the best army in West Africa?
Re: Nigeria: Do We Have An Army? by zebra(m): 8:29am On Aug 24, 2007
FACE:

@Zebra.
Your friend is under the command of people who are under the command of my friend at the same base but I am not going to give you my friend's name. Your friend informed you that we have just two Alfa jets and he flies one of them? Big lie!!

We have over 100 combat aircrafts. Our combat aircrafts are MIGs, SEPECAT jaguars and most recently the Chinese Chengdu fighters. My friend says that the air force is considering whether to ground the MIGs or upgrade them. We have numerous trainers and transport aircrafts and a few bombers. We also have dozens of attack and transport helicopters. We need a radar-jamming device.

Mind you, I never said that we will defeat all air force in Africa. I said that we are equipped to deal with most forces in Africa both within and outside our territory and I stand by the statement.

You and your friend are big liars. The Nigerian Air force is just considering bringing in new figther planes and combat helicopters before the end of this year. Most of the pilots have been sent to foreign countries like US, Uk, SA, Italy to mention a few for flying training. It may interest you to know that a good number of them are my close friends.The NAF has only 2 Alpha jets than can fly and zero MIG that can fly. All MIG-21 figthers and Jaguar jets have been grounded 15 - 20 years ago. Go to Markurdi Airforce base you will see them there. They can't fly an inch.

As for combat helicopters, 3 of my friends all Flt. Lt's are among those sent to US for combat helicopter flying with the hope of coming back to fly the new combat helicopters the NAF is planning to acquire. Go to Airforce base in PH and see the helicopters they have there, only 2 Mi-35P can fly at the moment out of 4. All the BO-105 helicopters have been grounded. Also go to MM airport in ikeja the NAF has one helicopter wing there; none of the BO-105 helicopters can fly. So where did dey house all the combat helicopters and jets you are talking about?? na underground hanger dem house dem??

you and your so called pilot friend should stop decieving people.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Breaking News: Pst. Bakare's House On Fire / How Effective Are Our Emergency Numbers (767 And 112) / Disappointment Awaits Tinubu’s Followers – Atiku Supporter, Shehu Mahdi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.