Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,192,406 members, 7,947,690 topics. Date: Friday, 13 September 2024 at 06:59 AM

Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? (46092 Views)

8 Categories Of Occupation People Do That Brings Forth Insult From The Society / Pharmacology. . .is 'eat' Relevant In Nigeria? / Graduating With A Second Class Lower (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by hagma37yahoocom: 1:50pm On Sep 08, 2011
@ALL 2.2 is never a bad class of degree to graduate with atleast in some department the number of 2.1 among the graduate can sometimes be 2, 3 or 4 frnd stop goin to pple who wil weaken your spirit n make u feel bad dey dont kno the right people to help u get the job even if u graduate wit 2.1 engineering dey will tell u dat its 2.1 accounting dey need, Sahara group are currently recruitin 2.2 graduates, DPR, NAMA, Mobil all are big places to work n dey do recruit 2.2 pls subscribe to graduatejobs360 n recieve job opening for graduate dont let 1 mumu kill ur spirit.

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by DaBeaver(m): 2:17pm On Sep 08, 2011
hagma37@yahoo.com:

@ALL 2.2 is never a bad class of degree to graduate with atleast in some department the number of 2.1 among the graduate can sometimes be 2, 3 or 4 frnd stop goin to pple who wil weaken your spirit n make u feel bad dey dont kno the right people to help u get the job even if u graduate wit 2.1 engineering dey will tell u dat its 2.1 accounting dey need, Sahara group are currently recruitin 2.2 graduates, DPR, NAMA, [b]Mobil[b] all are big places to work n dey do recruit 2.2 pls subscribe to graduatejobs360 n recieve job opening for graduate dont let 1 mumu kill your spirit.

Nice post, bruv, but so we don't misinform people here, Mobil doesn't recruit 2.2 AT ALL!
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by pejol: 2:25pm On Sep 08, 2011
pls i hav third class,wc university they can take me for master?
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by walex2(m): 2:37pm On Sep 08, 2011
ur class of degree depends on 1. the school u wen to 2. the kind of course u study whle in the university. tell me wether 2.1 in UNAD is thesame 2.1 in OAU, taking the rate at which CONVENANT university rolls out first class student annually u may think that other nigerians did not went to school.
i studied economics and i want nairalander to confirm how many 2.1 students that has been produced fom universities like ABU, OAU, UNI IBADAN, UNILAG or even my UNIJOS since 1980 let alone first class.
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by Phrankin(m): 3:08pm On Sep 08, 2011
Inasmuchas i think that 1st class and 2.1 grads have a slight edge over other classes of degrees in the market, the disadvantage tend to be irrelevant if the 2.2 grad can pick himself up, beat off the dust and do things that shows he's learnt from his mistake (assuming it's a mistake). One more point, 2.1, 1st class is just for feeding money. Real money/success comes from God and he gives it to whom he wills. Ps. To all you jambitos and undergraduates. abeg try get 1st class or 2.1.
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by GoldCircle: 3:18pm On Sep 08, 2011
walex2:

your class of degree depends on 1. the school u wen to 2. the kind of course u study whle in the university. tell me wether 2.1 in UNAD is thesame 2.1 in OAU, taking the rate at which CONVENANT university rolls out first class student annually u may think that other nigerians did not went to school.
i studied economics and i want nairalander to confirm how many 2.1 students that has been produced fom universities like ABU, OAU, UNI IBADAN, UNILAG or even my UNIJOS since 1980 let alone first class.
shocked shocked shocked
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by Godalone(m): 3:24pm On Sep 08, 2011
walex2:

your class of degree depends on 1. the school u wen to 2. the kind of course u study whle in the university. tell me wether 2.1 in UNAD is thesame 2.1 in OAU, taking the rate at which CONVENANT university rolls out first class student annually u may think that other nigerians did not went to school.

UNIJOS graduate ! This is terrible !

2 Likes

Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by pejol: 3:29pm On Sep 08, 2011
pls wc university can offer me admission for my master, as a third class gradt, since i dnt have moni for pgd, i need ur help pls
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by chamber2(m): 3:37pm On Sep 08, 2011
Godalone:

UNIJOS graduate ! This is terrible !

Where is the reply button

This same guy said a 2.1 grad from Unad is not comparable to a 2.1 grad from Unidust Unijos

what a waste. I didn't want to comment on this thread before, but he forced me to do so.

let him provide logical evidence to support his claims rather than disparage the grads of other universities.

For sure, what you become in life is not dependent on the class of degree or University you attended. University or class of degree will only bring you to the door the rest depends on your personal characteristics and ingenuity.

For him to have made such unpardonable grammatical blunder leaves much to be desired.

Where is the exit door

1 Like

Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by joanana(f): 3:43pm On Sep 08, 2011
chamber2:

Where is the reply button

This same guy said a 2.1 grad from Unad is not comparable to a 2.1 grad from Unidust Unijos

what a waste. I didn't want to comment on this thread before, but he forced me to do so.

let him provide logical evidence to support his claims rather than disparage the grads of other universities.

For sure, what you become in life is not dependent on the class of degree or University you attended. University or class of degree will only bring you to the door the rest depends on your personal characteristics and ingenuity.

For him to have made such unpardonable grammatical blunder leaves much to be desired.

hmmmm lol grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by mcelisus: 3:54pm On Sep 08, 2011
AS FOR THE 2:2 HOLDERS MOST TIMES ARE BETTER EMPLOYEES THAN THE UPPER ONES. INFACT THEY END UP BEING THE C.E.O's AND EMPLOYERS OF THE 2:1 AND 1ST CLASS HOLDERS grin

Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by Plutarch: 3:54pm On Sep 08, 2011
2:2 graduates are still very relevant. People should just get off d toga of regret of not graduating with first class or 2.1 n move on with. Good grade may get you a job in a big coy but to be robustly successful in life goes beyond grade.
Dont be upset with d adverts of MNCs u see on d newpapers calling 4 those with 2.1 n above. At d end of d day like 15 to 20 pple r always selected out of more than 5000 or more pple. The meaning of this many pple with 2.1 still roam d street for years.

Just believe in yourself n trust in God.
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by 2nex(m): 4:55pm On Sep 08, 2011
oh my GOD!smone shld help me am a studnt of unilag 300level of faculty of ed.en am afraid of graduatin wt a 2.2, pls ur advic, yes i blv in God myself en wat i can do bt my cgpa is jst an headache, nw sesion stats nxt mnth, nd ur advice.i dnt want to grad wt a 2.2
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by Russialane(m): 6:16pm On Sep 08, 2011
you alone decide your fate dont let any man decide for you
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by DerMeister: 7:41pm On Sep 08, 2011
No class of degree (1st class, 2:1, 2:2, 3rd class) from a Nigerian School is relevant and that's the bitter truth! embarassed
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by Odunharry(m): 8:37pm On Sep 08, 2011
2nex:

oh my GOD!smone shld help me am a studnt of unilag 300level of faculty of ed.en am afraid of graduatin wt a 2.2, pls your advic, yes i blv in God myself en wat i can do bt my cgpa is jst an headache, nw sesion stats nxt mnth, nd your advice.i dnt want to grad wt a 2.2
study-hard,im-an-undagraduate-too,my-gpa-as-at-last-sem-ws-on-3.4.i-hope-to-improve-myself,by-studyin-more-and-praying-to-baba-God.
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by Ugosample(m): 9:55pm On Sep 08, 2011
As long as that certificate is genuine and the graduate can defend himself anywhere in the world, that graduate has my respect. The craze for paper certification in Nigeria is disheartening. Merit is the best, CHIKENA.
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by beejaei: 10:01pm On Sep 08, 2011
You must be a foreign grad then Grin
Well, if I was insecure about anything, I wouldn't put my personal story out here for public consumption, would I?
Those demons I have faced long long ago, and those issues are somewhat past me. If you had said this maybe six, seven years ago, that could have been something for me to think about. These days i am just being frank.

grin grin grin

No, I am not a foreign grad, but I have observed your zeal in reminding foreign grads about all the wack ones you have met who are not up to scratch. Putting those posts and the one on this thread together lead to my conclusion. Maybe you have overcome inferiority, or maybe there are still remnants of it. Nevertheless you seem to have done well for yourself, and you are quite useful on this forum. So kudos to you.
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by AjanleKoko: 10:59pm On Sep 08, 2011
beejaei:

grin grin grin

No, I am not a foreign grad, but I have observed your zeal in reminding foreign grads about all the wack ones you have met who are not up to scratch. Putting those posts and the one on this thread together lead to my conclusion. Maybe you have overcome inferiority, or maybe there are still remnants of it. Nevertheless you seem to have done well for yourself, and you are quite useful on this forum. So kudos to you.

I wouldn't exactly call it zeal, as I don't go around opening threads seeking to validate my 'local' education. Just saying my piece.
Possibly those who are overly concerned about their 'foreign' degrees are the ones with the complex. I've never had to really bother too much about it, luckily. I was fortunate to get my career on track before it even became a topic for debate.

Not to worry, if you ever have to be interviewed for a job by me, I won't discriminate against you if you are a foreign grad. But you probably won't get any preferential treatment either grin

1 Like

Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by ouchexy: 11:09pm On Sep 08, 2011
I think the numerous threads on this issue of 2.2 or third class or even pass graduates boils down to self-pity and inferiority complex. It is just a way of consoling and encouraging yourselves in a pathetic way. Why waste all your energy on needless threads on how 2.2/HND graduates are better than their higher grade graduates. Please stop wallowing in low self esteem and self-pity and face the reality. And the reality is that as a 2.2/third class/pass/HND graduate, things ain't going to be easy for you in the job market. But work on yourself, develop yourself, change your way of thinking (from self-pity mentality to can-do mentality) and move on with life with success in mind. I was also in a similar, though better situation. I graduated in one of the very good universities with CGPA which is very close to 1st class. I never indulged in self pity or consolation. I have met and surpassed many first class graduates.
Pls, pls and pls, this is to all lower grade graduates: enough of multiple threads on the issue of finishing with low grades. Stop walloping in self-pity and inferiority complex. A word is enough for the wise (that is for the intelligent 2.2 graduates out there)
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by AjanleKoko: 11:21pm On Sep 08, 2011
ouchexy:

I think the numerous threads on this issue of 2.2 or third class or even pass graduates boils down to self-pity and inferiority complex. It is just a way of consoling and encouraging yourselves in a pathetic way. Why waste all your energy on needless threads on how 2.2/HND graduates are better than their higher grade graduates. Please stop wallowing in low self esteem and self-pity and face the reality. And the reality is that as a 2.2/third class/pass/HND graduate, things ain't going to be easy for you in the job market. But work on yourself, develop yourself, change your way of thinking (from self-pity mentality to can-do mentality) and move on with life with success in mind. I was also in a similar, though better situation. I graduated in one of the very good universities with CGPA which is very close to 1st class. I never indulged in self pity or consolation. I have met and surpassed many first class graduates.
Pls, pls and pls, this is to all lower grade graduates: enough of multiple threads on the issue of finishing with low grades. Stop walloping in self-pity and inferiority complex. A word is enough for the wise (that is for the intelligent 2.2 graduates out there)

Not exactly the same situation bro.
Self-pity and inferiority complex are human emotions that we all can't deny. The fellows who are opening threads are doing so because of the rejection and psychological stress they're going through. And i have to empathize because, well, I have been there before, to some extent. So I could not help but comment, just to encourage someone out there.
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by woetooam4j: 11:35pm On Sep 08, 2011
Long Live Foreign grads

The future of Nigeria depends on the zeal and determination of her Foreign grads

Okonjo Iweala, Aganaga, Madueke, et al.

WE ROCK!
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by chamber2(m): 11:37pm On Sep 08, 2011
woetooam4j:

Long Live Foreign grads

The future of Nigeria depends on the zeal and determination of her Foreign grads

Okonjo Iweala, Aganaga, Madueke, et al.

WE ROCK!

Are you okay
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by ouchexy: 11:46pm On Sep 08, 2011
AjanleKoko:

Not exactly the same situation bro.
Self-pity and inferiority complex are human emotions that we all can't deny. The fellows who are opening threads are doing so because of the rejection and psychological stress they're going through. And i have to empathize because, well, I have been there before, to some extent. So I could not help but comment, just to encourage someone out there.
Those phrases are so true. I think I need to show more understanding and empathy (not sympathy) to those people. Thanks for your reply. I was only looking at it from my skewed frame of reference. Thanks for your maturity
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by woetooam4j: 11:50pm On Sep 08, 2011
chamber2:

Are you okay

Are you Ajanlekoko?
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by SEFAGO(m): 11:52pm On Sep 08, 2011

I agree too. Ajanlekoko seems overzealous with regards to criticizing foreign grads and complaining about the "wack" ones he has met. Then I can't blame him- foreign grads are kind of overhyped in Nigeria.

But tbh from the little I know of the Nigerian educational system, I would never hire a 2:2 graduate for anything except janitorial work. Most people get 2:2 because they deserved and did less work not because they were "social" or more outgoing. Even the 2:1 and first class graduates in nigeria are still iffy intellectually. Then you now have to scrap the bottom of the barrel, you would be recruiting m/o/rons.

Moreover grades are usually a reflection of your work ethic, not really your intellect, and work ethic is really important in most jobs. A 2:2 indicates that you are lazy or too stoooopid to figure out how to cheat your way to a second class upper.

1 Like

Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by woetooam4j: 11:56pm On Sep 08, 2011
SEFAGO:

I agree too. Ajanlekoko seems overzealous with regards to criticizing foreign grads and complaining about the "wack" ones he has met. Then I can't blame him- foreign grads are kind of overhyped in Nigeria.

But tbh from the little I know of the Nigerian educational system, I would never hire a 2:2 graduate for anything except janitorial work. Most people get 2:2 because they deserved and did less work not because they were "social" or more outgoing. Even the 2:1 and first class graduates in nigeria are still iffy intellectually. Then you now have to scrap the bottom of the barrel, you would be recruiting m/o/rons.

Moreover grades are usually a reflection of your work ethic, not really your intellect, and work ethic is really important in most jobs. A 2:2 indicates that you are lazy or too stoooopid to figure out how to cheat your way to a second class upper.

Ajanlekoko, you don hear am today grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

janitorial work.

OMG!

@ SEFAGO, I think you are wrong with your assessment of 2:2s. You've lost touch man!
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by debosky(m): 12:16am On Sep 09, 2011
Dunno why y'all are on AJ's case - he's just saying the obvious truth that simply being a 'foreign grad' doesn't make you better - just as you have good foreign grads you have bad ones.

People study in foreign schools and get bad grades as well don't they? cheesy

Besides, people can go and study in Burkina Faso and claim foreign grad too. grin grin

2:2 graduates are definitely relevant, but don't expect any favours when even those with better grades are struggling. If you don't make a 2:1 or better, start planning early to improve your competitiveness either through further degrees, qualifications, using your connections etc, or attempt to start off your own business if you are so inclined or resourced.

Just as getting a 2:1 doesn't guarantee success, a 2:2 doesn't imply pre-determined failure either. Understand you're at a disadvantage for certain jobs (those with 2:1 minimum requirements), but don't let the story end there - do your best to advance yourself and God willing you will succeed. It may be more difficult to start with, but you may end up better than those with better degrees. Ultimately the degree isn't the only determinant of success.
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by AjanleKoko: 12:48am On Sep 09, 2011
debosky:

Dunno why y'all are on AJ's case - he's just saying the obvious truth that simply being a 'foreign grad' doesn't make you better - just as you have good foreign grads you have bad ones.

People study in foreign schools and get bad grades as well don't they? cheesy

Besides, people can go and study in Burkina Faso and claim foreign grad too. grin grin

2:2 graduates are definitely relevant, but don't expect any favours when even those with better grades are struggling. If you don't make a 2:1 or better, start planning early to improve your competitiveness either through further degrees, qualifications, using your connections etc, or attempt to start off your own business if you are so inclined or resourced.

Just as getting a 2:1 doesn't guarantee success, a 2:2 doesn't imply pre-determined failure either. Understand you're at a disadvantage for certain jobs (those with 2:1 minimum requirements), but don't let the story end there - do your best to advance yourself and God willing you will succeed. It may be more difficult to start with, but you may end up better than those with better degrees. Ultimately the degree isn't the only determinant of success.

Very fair assessment of my P.O.V, from a 'foreign grad', no less!

SEFAGO:

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy I don hear am truly. Overpaid janitor like me grin
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by woetooam4j: 12:56am On Sep 09, 2011
AjanleKoko:

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy I don hear am truly. Overpaid janitor like me grin

Don't mind SEFAGO jare , one day, hopefully, he'll understand that it's harder to be kind than clever.
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by debosky(m): 1:09am On Sep 09, 2011
AjanleKoko:

Very fair assessment of my P.O.V, from a 'foreign grad', no less!

Uni of Ouagadougou grad like me sef na foreign grad? cheesy
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by SEFAGO(m): 1:13am On Sep 09, 2011
@ SEFAGO, I think you are wrong with your assessment of 2:2s. You've lost touch man!

I once has the misfortune of interacting with a 2:2 engineering graduate from Nigeria. I was horrendously scarred. I grew dumber every minute I talked to the guy. Guy was an engineer and did not know how to use an excel sheet and was unwilling to learn anything. I have countless stories but I think it would suffice to say 2:2=M/O/R/ON

I don hear am truly. Overpaid janitor like me

Probably took you years to prove yourself. However for your first job, and for anyones first job a 2:2 will be a hindrance. However most Nigerian employers will be more lenient than I am. I have no sympathy for lazy people or people who cannot get their acts together. What you are paid now is irrelevant, you probably lost a lot of income for getting s/h/itty grades. Do a quick ROI on your life earnings and the amount of time you put in school and you would find out that whatever you earned- your mates with first class earned more.

woetooam4j:

Don't mind SEFAGO jare , one day, hopefully,  he'll understand that it's harder to be kind than clever.

I am a pretty nice guy- lemme rephrase- if i ran a family business and wanted to give my lazy relative, a massive fuckup who got a 2:2 a job, I would have no qualms doing so

However, if I am running a proper business, and I want things done and dont want my business to get properly screwed by a lazy dimwit who could not hustle a 2:1, then I would only hire people with such degrees at the janitorial level.

I am talking about the first job- of course when you have proven yourself things are a bit different. An employer only has your university degree to evaluate you when you are first trying to get a job in nigeria

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Nigeria To Disengage 500,000 N-power Beneficiaries ‘soon’ / My Heart Felt Message To GRADUATES Teaching In Private Primary/secondary Schoo / FG Sacks Top Civil Servants Over Employment Racketeering — Minister

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.