Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,181,704 members, 7,914,908 topics. Date: Thursday, 08 August 2024 at 01:18 PM

Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? (45990 Views)

8 Categories Of Occupation People Do That Brings Forth Insult From The Society / Pharmacology. . .is 'eat' Relevant In Nigeria? / Graduating With A Second Class Lower (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by Nobody: 8:42pm On Sep 09, 2011
AjanleKoko:

Managerial perspective indeed.
You sound more like a student with each post. undecided

No mind am

na overego dey worry am cheesy

i hope he won't think of working in my company if he comes back to naija

our COO is a 2.2 grad. it would be hard for the likes of sefago to work for someone who should be cleaning toilets
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by AjanleKoko: 8:43pm On Sep 09, 2011
oyb:

No mind am

na overego dey worry am  cheesy

our COO is a 2.2 grad. it would be hard for the likes of sefago to work for someone who should be cleaning toilets

He would need to graduate first, wouldn't he?
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by woetooam4j: 8:50pm On Sep 09, 2011
AjanleKoko:

He would need to graduate first, innit?

SEFAGO is a graduate I think. grin

oyb:

No mind am

na overego dey worry am cheesy

Why do you have so many 2;2s in your company?
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by AjanleKoko: 8:56pm On Sep 09, 2011
woetooam4j:

SEFAGO is a graduate I think. grin

Prolly doing his 3rd masters or 2nd Phd, or something grin

woetooam4j:

Why do you have so many 2;2s in your company?

They must have way too many toilets at Oando grin
What do people do up in there, poo all day? cheesy
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by Nobody: 8:59pm On Sep 09, 2011
AjanleKoko:

Managerial perspective indeed.
You sound more like a student with each post. undecided

either you had some extra experience going into your job at oando or you knew someone who helped you get into that company.
Which is it?
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by woetooam4j: 9:03pm On Sep 09, 2011
AjanleKoko:

Prolly doing his 3rd masters or 2nd Phd, or something grin

ROTFL. I thought SEFAGO said only people with 2:2s go for masters and Ph.Ds? Why is he going against his belief? Kids of nowadays sha!

I think he is still young to be doing his second Ph.d.  grin He doesnt strike me to be that smart anyway. Not as witty or insightful. I think he is still on his first Ph.D.  Or may be his second masters at some unknown college in the middleeast.

They must have way too many toilets at Oando grin
What do people do up in there, poo all day? cheesy

Oyb must be a really good cleaner then, to have excelled amongst so many excellent janitors.

Impressive Oyb, keep it up!

There are two people with First class on NL, JARUS AND BECOMRICHN!
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by woetooam4j: 9:04pm On Sep 09, 2011
davidylan:

either you had some extra experience going into your job at oando or you knew someone who helped you get into that company.
Which is it?

Tell me you are being sarcastic?

Dont get petty. Not sexy at all!
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by woetooam4j: 9:07pm On Sep 09, 2011
@SEFAGO,

Between Oyb and Becomrihn, who would you hire if you were hiring?

Oyb with Lower credit from Ife Vs Becomrich with first class from Ilorin

They are both electrical engineers BTW
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by Nobody: 9:13pm On Sep 09, 2011
i went to unilorin too tongue
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by AjanleKoko: 9:14pm On Sep 09, 2011
davidylan:

Which is it?

Sorry I don't work at Oando.
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by Nobody: 9:18pm On Sep 09, 2011
AjanleKoko:

Sorry I don't work at Oando.

Which is it?
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by AjanleKoko: 9:28pm On Sep 09, 2011
davidylan:

Which is it?

What does 'extra experience' mean? Maybe if i understood what that meant, I'd be able to provide a better answer.
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by Nobody: 9:31pm On Sep 09, 2011
AjanleKoko:

What does 'extra experience' mean? Maybe if i understood what that meant, I'd be able to provide a better answer.

Did you have some additional qualifications besides your first degree?
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by AjanleKoko: 9:38pm On Sep 09, 2011
davidylan:

Did you have some additional qualifications besides your first degree?

Of course I do. Don't you?
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by Nobody: 9:41pm On Sep 09, 2011
AjanleKoko:

Of course I do. Don't you?

perhaps that, and not really your gpa, was instrumental to you obtaining a job right?
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by AjanleKoko: 9:53pm On Sep 09, 2011
davidylan:

perhaps that, and not really your gpa, was instrumental to you obtaining a job right?

Okay.
I think I get you now. Well, I started working, and was already on my first job, before I completed my masters degree.

I must say though, your viewpoint is rather simplistic. You very likely don't really work in industry, wherever you are based. Most likely academics, or research. Do you actually think every single graduate of a university or similar institution is hired for every single job solely on the basis of their GPA?

Of course not. It's absurd to think so. Only very few companies require very smart people to work for them. Some teaching and research institutions, some prestigious organizations like investment banks, top software companies like Google and Microsoft, etc., high-powered consulting organizations like Mckinsey and Accenture. They are maybe 10% of all employers, just like first class graduates and 2:1 graduates are maybe 10-20% of the graduate population.

Even these organizations hire such graduates only at entry level. Outside entry level, they need experienced guys to do the day to day operational work, and keep things moving. They also deal with suppliers and contractors, and they are less concerned about the GPAs of those contractors or what school they went to. Nigeria is no different. I think, for someone to say only a class of university graduates are relevant to the labour market, it only showcases the person's ignorance.
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by Jarus(m): 10:00pm On Sep 09, 2011
Oyb, I hope it's not Olufeagba that turned Becomrich into that? grin
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by Nobody: 10:02pm On Sep 09, 2011
AjanleKoko:

Okay.
I think I get you now. Well, I started working, and was already on my first job, before I completed my masters degree.

A masters degree is more of an equaliser. Once you've done that much less attention is paid to your undergrad GPA. If you thought a 2-2 was just fine why bother with a masters deg?

AjanleKoko:

I must say though, your viewpoint is rather simplistic. You very likely don't really work in industry, wherever you are based. Most likely academics, or research.  Do you  actually think every single graduate of a university or similar institution is hired for every single job solely on the basis of their GPA?

You've made this same derogatory remark to Sefago at least 2ce. I work in the world's second largest chemical company . . . hint it does not run an academic program.

AjanleKoko:

Even these organizations hire such graduates only at entry level. Outside entry level, they need experienced guys to do the day to day operational work, and keep things moving. They also deal with suppliers and contractors, and they are less concerned about the GPAs of those contractors or what school they went to. Nigeria is no different. I think, for someone to say only a class of university graduates are relevant to the labour market, it only showcases the person's ignorance.

hmm i never even hinted at that at all. Basically asked you a question that had no relevance to that statement in highlights.
Even though you finished with a 2-2, you still went ahead to perhaps obtain professional experience (or certificates) and a masters degree. I would hire you much faster than i would consider a 1st class graduate who just went to sit at home twiddling his thumbs.

While your GPA is not the sole consideration for employment, it can be a reflection of your overall attitude to a challenging work environment.

NB: i didnt get my job on the basis of my gpa either.
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by AjanleKoko: 10:13pm On Sep 09, 2011
davidylan:

A masters degree is more of an equaliser. Once you've done that much less attention is paid to your undergrad GPA. If you thought a 2-2 was just fine why bother with a masters deg?

I assume you graduated with either a first class or 2:1 degree. And I am also sure you have done at least a masters degree. Why did you also not think your good grades were enough?

davidylan:

You've made this same derogatory remark to Sefago at least 2ce. I work in the world's second largest chemical company . . . hint it does not run an academic program.

It is not meant to be derogatory. In your own case, I'd assume that, for you to weigh in behind the GPA-is-the-true-assessor paradigm, you must be working in an environment where it is the sole criterion for employment. You might be working in industry, in a research position, surrounded by Phds.

Sefago's case is a different animal entirely.
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by Nobody: 10:19pm On Sep 09, 2011
AjanleKoko:

I assume you graduated with either a first class or 2:1 degree. And I am also sure you have done at least a masters degree. Why did you also not think your good grades were enough?

1st class, 2-1, 2-2 or 3rd class . . . an undergraduate degree is not much better than a high school diploma these days. Everyone and his dog has one.
In an increasingly competitive world, you need something that gives you an edge over others.

AjanleKoko:

It is not meant to be derogatory. In your own case, I'd assume that, for you to weigh in behind the GPA-is-the-true-assessor paradigm, you must be working in an environment where it is the sole criterion for employment. You might be working in industry, in a research position, surrounded by Phds.

Sefago's case is a different animal entirely.

For starters, i am not advocating a system where GPA's are the sole criterion for employment. I know a 2-1 graduate from college who i would not hire for anything in the world. Excellent crammer but absolutely useless when it comes to on-the-job skills. My point is that too many people hop on the "GPA's are irrelevant" bandwagon simply as a mechanism to console themselves over their inability to work hard enough to earn a better GPA.
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by AjanleKoko: 10:29pm On Sep 09, 2011
davidylan:

1st class, 2-1, 2-2 or 3rd class . . . an undergraduate degree is not much better than a high school diploma these days. Everyone and his dog has one.
In an increasingly competitive world, you need something that gives you an edge over others.

For starters, i am not advocating a system where GPA's are the sole criterion for employment. I know a 2-1 graduate from college who i would not hire for anything in the world. Excellent crammer but absolutely useless when it comes to on-the-job skills. My point is that too many people hop on the "GPA's are irrelevant" bandwagon simply as a mechanism to console themselves over their inability to work hard enough to earn a better GPA.

Still a narrow-minded, maybe naive view to have, even. The most celebrated people in today's world are not even PhDs. Many did not even go to school. The list is endless: Jobs, Gates, Zuckerberg, Oprah, Dell, Ellison, Woods, Combs, Dr Dre, etc. From the arts, entertainment, finance, even hi-tech. That paradigm, that age where the most important people in the world were Einstein, Oppenheimer, Curie, etc, is long dead. Yes, we still have the very smart PhD boffins. Problem is, they now work for the college dropouts.
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by Jarus(m): 10:37pm On Sep 09, 2011
davidylan:

I have always expressed reservation about the bolded too. It is now common to find people dismiss FC and 2.1 and easily quote some Third Class achievers, forgetting the thousands that are still struggling.  I have however stopped arguing on such trivias recently.

Notwithstanding,  I respect 2.2s that are smart.
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by Nobody: 10:42pm On Sep 09, 2011
AjanleKoko:

Still a narrow-minded, maybe naive view to have, even. The most celebrated people in today's world are not even PhDs. Many did not even go to school. The list is endless: Jobs, Gates, Zuckerberg, Oprah, Dell, Ellison, Woods, Combs, Dr Dre, etc. From the arts, entertainment, finance, even hi-tech. That paradigm, that age where the most important people in the world were Einstein, Oppenheimer, Curie, etc, is long dead. Yes, we still have the very smart PhD boffins. Problem is, they now work for the college dropouts.

the list isnt really "endless". Those people you pick out are one out of how many really? Besides note most of the people you select are Americans, folks born in a country where TALENT will ALWAYS rise to the top regardless. You also forget that most of those folks were not dumb either . . . Gates and Zuckerberg i think were Harvard graduate students at one point.
Quite interesting that these same people you mention stuff their companies with the brightest minds from Asia and America. Surely you would expect them to only pick drop-outs no?

To say my comment was narrow-minded then follow it up with one that makes very little sense is priceless irony.
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by Nobody: 10:43pm On Sep 09, 2011
Jarus:

I have always expressed reservation about the bolded too. It is now common to find people dismiss FC and 2.1 and easily quote some Third Class achievers, forgetting the thousands that are still struggling.  I have however stopped arguing on such trivias recently.

Notwithstanding,  I respect 2.2s that are smart.

Ajanlekoko would do well to read this point. for every Zuckerberg there are thousands more who can barely make minimum wage.
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by Nobody: 10:46pm On Sep 09, 2011
AjanleKoko:

I see Kiyosaki has you well trained. I must be the only person in the world with zero respect or admiration for this guy.
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by Nobody: 10:50pm On Sep 09, 2011
AjanleKoko:

Same old schtick with these people. How many drop-outs are employing phd boffins? Most of the big pharmaceutical companies you see in the US where started by "phd boffins" based on their own research. See santa cruz biotechnology, Genentech, Eli Lily, DOW chemical e.t.c.
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by Nobody: 10:51pm On Sep 09, 2011
in much the same way, not every first class or 2'1 is a success

the world does not begin or end with 2'1 and 1st

its a great springboard for the beginning of your career, but a career is more of a journey than a race.

only people starting their careers will carry degree on their head the way its being bandied about here , because thats the great divider at that point. further down the line, its what you can deliver that is more critical
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by Nobody: 10:55pm On Sep 09, 2011
oyb:

in much the same way, not every first class or 2'1 is a success

the world does not begin or end with 2'1 and 1st

its a great springboard for the beginning of your career, but a career is more of a journey than a race.

only people starting their careers will carry degree on their head the way its being bandied about here , because thats the great divider at that point. further down the line, its what you can deliver that is more critical

We must be reading a different thread. See what i said here - 1st class, 2-1, 2-2 or 3rd class . . . an undergraduate degree is not much better than a high school diploma these days. Everyone and his dog has one. In an increasingly competitive world, you need something that gives you an edge over others.

No one is carrying degrees on their head. Just bored of the lazy "GPA's dont matter" attitude particularly by those who couldnt work hard enough.
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by AjanleKoko: 10:55pm On Sep 09, 2011
davidylan:

the list isnt really "endless". Those people you pick out are one out of how many really? Besides note most of the people you select are Americans, folks born in a country where TALENT will ALWAYS rise to the top regardless. You also forget that most of those folks were not dumb either . . . Gates and Zuckerberg i think were Harvard graduate students at one point.
Quite interesting that these same people you mention stuff their companies with the brightest minds from Asia and America. Surely you would expect them to only pick drop-outs no?

To say my comment was narrow-minded then follow it up with one that makes very little sense is priceless irony.

First off, let me make this comment: I am not trying to insult you. Yes, I said your viewpoint was narrow-minded. It's not an insult.

Now to your comments:
Those people are at the very top of the line. They're not just isolated examples.
And remember, we are talking about the relevance of 2:2 graduates on this thread, no?
I specifically use Americans as examples for the same reason you are pointing out. What inhibits talent from rising to the top in Nigeria? Very simple answer: Stereotyping. The strong are quick to blame the weak, the rich are quick to blame the poor, for their lack of success. Someone specifically came on here and said 2:2 graduates were basically worthless. That's an example of a stereotype. But a number of 2:2 graduates in Nigeria have built mammoth companies, and done very well for themselves in their career. What's wrong with holding them up as an inspiration for the majority of graduates who did not graduate with a first class or 2:1?

Disappointingly, many of the 'privileged' graduates are quick to condemn them for, in your own words,  their inability to work hard enough to earn a better GPA. For me, that's a narrow-minded view. It only showcases the 'jungle mentality' of Africans, the Sambo vs Mlambo viewpoint. Everybody is competing with everybody else.

I salute all those who graduated at the top of their class. Good for them. But life is not winner takes all, no matter what anybody thinks. For those who did not, it is definitely not the end of the road.
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by armyofone(m): 10:57pm On Sep 09, 2011
what is 2:2 and 2:1 ?
is it 2.0 out of 4 gpa??
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by coogar: 11:01pm On Sep 09, 2011
2.2 ---> second class lower-----gpa 2.49-3.49
2.1----> second class upper----gpa 3.49--4.49

maximum gpa obtainable---5.00
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by Nobody: 11:01pm On Sep 09, 2011
AjanleKoko:

Now to your comments:
Those people are at the very top of the line. They're not just isolated examples.

when you consider them in broader context, you're basically looking at 1 out of maybe 50000 members of their graduating class for the entire USA maybe?

AjanleKoko:

And remember, we are talking about the relevance of 2:2 graduates on this thread, no?
I specifically use Americans as examples for the same reason you are pointing out. What inhibits talent from rising to the top in Nigeria? Very simple answer: Stereotyping.

Wrong. Lack of opportunity is the answer.
I know many folks here too who spend too long searching for jobs because their GPAs were poor. It is just as important here as much as it is in naija.
Would a Bill Gates born in Nigeria be who he is today? No and it wont be because of stereotyping.

AjanleKoko:

Someone specifically came on here and said 2:2 graduates were basically worthless. That's an example of a stereotype. But a number of 2:2 graduates in Nigeria have built mammoth companies, and done very well for themselves in their career. What's wrong with holding them up as an inspiration for the majority of graduates who did not graduate with a first class or 2:1? Disappointingly, many of the 'privileged' graduates are quick to condemn them for, in your own words,  their inability to work hard enough to earn a better GPA. For me, that's a narrow-minded view,

How many 1st class or 2-1 graduates do you see putting up threads to denigrate the others? Rather we see a plethora of threads from 2-2's crowing about how one or two of them are smarter than 1st class graduates and how GPAs should be thrown out.

AjanleKoko:

salute all those who graduated at the top of their class. Good for them. But life is not winner takes all, no matter what anybody thinks. For those who did not, it is definitely not the end of the road.

No matter your GPA, what sets you aside is the constant drive to excel. I just happen to think that drive is more embodied in those who started the climb much earlier than those who thought a 2-2 was just ok as long as daddy was there to help me up a little.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Lady And Her Workers Made To Sleep Outside After Working For A Client. Photo / Nigeria To Disengage 500,000 N-power Beneficiaries ‘soon’ / More Soldiers Resign Over Intimidation From Superiors – Investigation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.