Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,181,661 members, 7,914,753 topics. Date: Thursday, 08 August 2024 at 11:21 AM

Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? - Career (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? (45988 Views)

8 Categories Of Occupation People Do That Brings Forth Insult From The Society / Pharmacology. . .is 'eat' Relevant In Nigeria? / Graduating With A Second Class Lower (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by Nobody: 12:47am On Sep 10, 2011
coogar:

of course, i never claimed he was my uncle.
i didn't school in nigeria but i was told he was the first naija guy to crack cisco's ccie. . .
whether he went to ife or cambridge does not puncture the direction of this argument. save the hollow sound bites. . . .

i'm sure you are going to tell us now you and wale were best buddies, in the same chess group in unilag.
come on, mr aja, drop the bomb.
asswax!

http://www.telnetng.com/management.html

Wale ADETUGBO
Wale is the Chief Technical Officer (CTO) for the Telnet Group, in the capacity of an Executive Director.

His career, which spans over 16years in the field of engineering, is graced with several accomplishments , among which are:

Implementation of the largest infrastructure project in Nigeria, in 1999, for Guiness Nigeria Limited, by the iTECO team, which was led by him.
   Introduction of the first indigenous network support offering by the iTECO team which was led by him.

Prior to his appointment as the CTO for the group in 2007, he had served in an executive capacity with iTECO for over 9years.

He graduated from the University of Lagos where he studied Computer Science and Engineering, in 1991and 2001, respectively. He also has an MBA from the Lagos Business School/IESE (2001).

Wale has a strong passion for improved technology and he is solution oriented, two strong points which have earned a place in the Telnet group as a versatile technical consultant.

you clearly know very little beyond trolling.  undecided

1 Like

Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by Nobody: 12:49am On Sep 10, 2011
coogar:

adenuga was a common taxi driver in new york.
he's a front for nigerian polticians. . . .fact is, you cannot make it huge in nigeria without dipping your hooves in politics.
wale tinubu must have kissed some arses as well in abuja - no big deal.

f@ck this gtbank nonsense you are spewing.
how does that represent invention?

keep contradicting yourself - one moment you are blathering about wale and your brother, the next you are telling us 'no one can advance without kissing arse. make up your mind.
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by coogar: 12:51am On Sep 10, 2011
oyb:

you clearly know very little beyond trolling.  undecided

mr oyb the idiotic beast of burden.
what did wale pass out with? whether he went to ife or unilag does not storm the direction of my argument.
the fact that he spent 10 yrs for a 5-yr course should also be a pointer that he wasn't your 1st class, 2-1 or 2-2 student.
he got a 3rd class and he scaled the ccie hurdle before many of the first class graduands in nigeria - that is my argument.

why is he feeling like he's discovered the cure to aids?
oyb, have you had something to eat this evening?
perhaps, it's your menstrual cramps!

oyb:

keep contradicting yourself - one moment you are blathering about wale  and your brother, the next you are telling us 'no one can advance without kissing arse. make up your mind.

your comprehensive skills need fine-tuning.
i said 20% get there by merits and 80% do so by kissing arses
go back to the previous pages and read my comment instead of barking loud.

1 Like

Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by AjanleKoko: 12:55am On Sep 10, 2011
davidylan:

he had similar access as his fellow middle school and high school colleagues. Cream always rises to the top regardless.
to use Bill Gates as an example of "connections" is too ridiculous to even bother to consider.

Lets ignore Bill for a minute, we now have wide computer access now in the year 2011 . . . are there any serious nigerian computer geniuses challenging their foreign counterparts? Or this is all about connections too?
Talk of narrow-minded . . . people just use words mindlessly.

Now you're beginning to sound curiously like coogar wink
Arguing just for the heck of it.  

I see the thread has journeyed from 2:2 grads to the 'uselessness of Nigeria as a whole.

Of course there are no serious Nigerian computer geniuses challenging Gates, any more than there are any from Oman or even Canada while we're at it. 99% of the major software companies are from the US.
However, Estonia is a hotbed of computer geniuses. That's where Skype comes from. Does that suddenly make them a better country to live in than Oman or Canada?
I was actually taking you serious before these last couple of posts.

coogar:

what did wale pass out with? whether he went to ife or unilag does not storm the direction of my argument.
the fact that he spent 10 yrs for a 5-yr course should also be a pointer that he wasn't your 1st class, 2-1 or 2-2 student.
he got a 3rd class and he scaled the ccie hurdle before many of the first class graduands in nigeria - that is my argument.

You are just laughable.
Stop embarassing yourself on this Wale issue. I am almost collapsing with laughter here. Where do you get your info from, Sahara Reporters?
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by Nobody: 12:58am On Sep 10, 2011
coogar:

hiv, have you had something to eat this evening?

http://www.zoominfo.com/#!search/profile/person?personId=484421677&targetid=profile

Wale Adetugbo
Wale Adetugbo joined iTeco Nigeria Limited in 1992 as a Systems Engineer.He has a 1992 B.Sc Engineering from the University of Lagos, Akoka.In 2001, he obtained an MBA from the Lagos Business School.He has attended several professional certification courses at home and abroad and was the first, Cisco Certified Internetworking Engineering (CCIE) in sub-Saharan Africa.He rose in ranks to become the Executive Director of iTECO in July, 2000.He was later seconded to Telnet Enterprise Services (TES), another subsidiary of the Telnet Group January, 2002 as the Executive Director, a position he holds to date.

according to the incredibly intelligent coogar, wale, after 10 years and a third class in unilag immediately entered iteco

no wonder it thinks it is all about connections and arse licking  embarassed embarassed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by chamber2(m): 12:58am On Sep 10, 2011
coogar:

hiv, have you had something to eat this evening?

Now, you are resorting to insults and name-calling. You said he graduated from IFE with a third class and that has been proven wrong. you once jumped into conclusion that all eastern universities are crap without even stepping your toe in any of them. You rely on what you hear from people, who probably feel deprived of their place in the Nigerian society. I wonder why you make hasty conclusions and generalisations. That is atypical of ''foreign'' trained graduates.
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by coogar: 12:58am On Sep 10, 2011
AjanleKoko:

just laughable.
Stop embarassing yourself on this Wale issue. I am almost collapsing with laughter here. Where do you get your info from, Sahara Reporters?

davidylan is arguing like coogar? i don't think so.

from my first post i spewed this. . . .

grades in nigeria should not be taken too seriously
the way those grades were achieved differ from school to school, individual to individual.
graduates often use connectionss to get their desired jobs.
20% of the graduates get their desired jobs on merit.

if you have any problem with the 4 points raised above then i will consider you a tool!

oyb:

http://www.zoominfo.com/#!search/profile/person?personId=484421677&targetid=profile
according to the incredibly intelligent coogar, wale, after 10 years and a third class in unilag immediately entered iteco
no wonder it thinks it is all about connections and arse licking  embarassed embarassed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

ajanlekoko said he graduated in 91
oyb is saying he graduated in 92.
which is which?

the pertinent unanswered question. . . .what did wale pass out with?
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by Nobody: 1:01am On Sep 10, 2011
AjanleKoko:

Now you're beginning to sound curiously like coogar wink
Arguing just for the heck of it.  

I see the thread has journeyed from 2:2 grads to the 'uselessness of Nigeria as a whole.

Of course there are no serious Nigerian computer geniuses challenging Gates, any more than there are any from Oman or even Canada while we're at it. 99% of the major software companies are from the US.
However, Estonia is a hotbed of computer geniuses. That's where Skype comes from. Does that suddenly make them a better country to live in than Oman or Canada?
I was actually taking you serious before these last couple of posts.

FYI you really dont have to take me seriously, it doesnt bother me one bit because at the end of the day you are just one more in a long list of faceless individuals who may as well not exist as far as i'm concerned.

Its simply a forum . . . feel free to either comment or ignore the thread. Nothing to take serious here . . .

You are delving into irrelevancies with your argument on Oman or Canada. You raised the names of Bill Gates as examples of drop-outs who have made it far better than any 1st class or 2-1 graduates. Unfortunately you forgot that Gates was a first class brain who got admitted to Harvard with a 1590/1600 score on the SATs. these are not dumb people who compare to your 2-2 candidates in any way, shape or form.

Infact your very words were these - Still a narrow-minded, maybe naive view to have, even. The most celebrated people in today's world are not even PhDs. Many did not even go to school. The list is endless: Jobs, Gates, Zuckerberg, Oprah, Dell, Ellison, Woods, Combs, Dr Dre, etc. From the arts, entertainment, finance, even hi-tech. That paradigm, that age where the most important people in the world were Einstein, Oppenheimer, Curie, etc, is long dead. Yes, we still have the very smart PhD boffins. Problem is, they now work for the college dropouts.

That above is what i assumed we are debating, not the nonsensical irrelevancies you are introducing here. All those folks you mention may not be phds (some just didnt bother to try getting one despite being smart enough to do so) but they share one great advantage - being born in the US where opportunities abound to excel if you have the talent. Many first class talents from Nigeria would have been far better than they are today given the same chance.
All over the US here, you see young brilliant Nigerian Phds, surgeons, bankers e.t.c . . . hard work does pay you know.

You are one out of a very tiny proportion of below 2-1 graduates who will make it in nigeria . . . the majority dont. That is the fact.
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by Nobody: 1:04am On Sep 10, 2011
coogar:

he went to oau. . . .there was no cultism in his school.

telnet take 2'1 only from the students of other schools.
a 3rd class student from ife would get to telnet without stress if he knows his stuffs.

wale(the first ccie man in the whole of west african region - a telnet employee) passed out with a 3rd class from oau.
i have been told 3rd class in any engineering course in oau is equivalent to first class of most federal schools.

coogar:

i will.
these naija based boys get on my nerves with their inability to admit they operate in a fraudulent system.

university girls sleep with as many lecturers as possible to make first class and people worship their certificates and these same girls cannot solve a simple arithmetic problem or construct simple sentences in english.

you begin to wonder at the disconnect between the grades achieved and the personality standing before you.
abeg, nigeria is not the place where people should be doing chest-beating. . . .the crooked ones have queered the pitch for the brilliant ones.

coogar:

2.2, 2.1, 3rd class.
it means f@ck all in nigeria. . . . . . . .

the people making it big in nigeria were the dullest people in their classes.
they are not book-smart but they are street-smart!

better start reediting your posts. you are clearly full of unadulterated bs. how old are you, really?
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by AjanleKoko: 1:06am On Sep 10, 2011
coogar:

which is which?

Enough already young man. tongue
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by coogar: 1:07am On Sep 10, 2011
oyb:

better start reediting your posts. you are clearly full of unadulterated bs. how old are you, really?

read with your nak[i]e[/i]d eyes. . . .
i said all those grades in nigeria mean f@ck all.

AjanleKoko:

Enough already young man. tongue

defeatism at it's very best.
answer the question, mr aja. . . . . what did wale graduate with?
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by Nobody: 1:08am On Sep 10, 2011
coogar:

which is which?

must you continue to highlight the absence of gray matter between your ears?

are you clinging to last last shred of dignity?

AJ, you have to understand that Dr Davidylan is a higher being, unlike us lesser mortals. give him enough time and he will give you the ol' i have achieved more in the last year than you have in your entire meaningless career  cheesy cheesy
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by Nobody: 1:09am On Sep 10, 2011
oyb:

AJ, you have to understand that Dr Davidylan is a higher being, unlike us lesser mortals. give him enough time and he will give you the ol' i have achieved more in the last year than you have in your entire meaningless career  cheesy cheesy

you must be a psychic, i was just about to post that. grin grin
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by coogar: 1:11am On Sep 10, 2011
oyb:

no far from that. . . . .i am trying to expose the idiocy of two men who are trying to pursue meaningless facts to mask their folly in the true picture of the argument.
if a 3rd class student of unilag or wherever wale graduated from cracked ccie before the hundreds of first class and second class students in nigeria, then something is fundamentally wrong somewhere with the grading system in that country.

this is the 5th time i am asking, did wale graduate with anything higher than a 3rd class?
ajanlekoko and oyb should please answer this question and claim their flawless victory.
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by AjanleKoko: 1:17am On Sep 10, 2011
davidylan:

FYI you really dont have to take me seriously, it doesnt bother me one bit because at the end of the day you are just one more in a long list of faceless individuals who may as well not exist as far as i'm concerned.

Its simply a forum . . . feel free to either comment or ignore the thread. Nothing to take serious here . . .

You are delving into irrelevancies with your argument on Oman or Canada. You raised the names of Bill Gates as examples of drop-outs who have made it far better than any 1st class or 2-1 graduates. Unfortunately you forgot that Gates was a first class brain who got admitted to Harvard with a 1590/1600 score on the SATs. these are not dumb people who compare to your 2-2 candidates in any way, shape or form.

Infact your very words were these - Still a narrow-minded, maybe naive view to have, even. The most celebrated people in today's world are not even PhDs. Many did not even go to school. The list is endless: Jobs, Gates, Zuckerberg, Oprah, Dell, Ellison, Woods, Combs, Dr Dre, etc. From the arts, entertainment, finance, even hi-tech. That paradigm, that age where the most important people in the world were Einstein, Oppenheimer, Curie, etc, is long dead. Yes, we still have the very smart PhD boffins. Problem is, they now work for the college dropouts.

That above is what i assumed we are debating, not the nonsensical irrelevancies you are introducing here. All those folks you mention may not be phds (some just didnt bother to try getting one despite being smart enough to do so) but they share one great advantage - being born in the US where opportunities abound to excel if you have the talent. Many first class talents from Nigeria would have been far better than they are today given the same chance.
All over the US here, you see young brilliant Nigerian Phds, surgeons, bankers e.t.c . . . hard work does pay you know.

You are one out of a very tiny proportion of below 2-1 graduates who will make it in nigeria . . . the majority dont. That is the fact.

Okay.
oyb's last post explains it. You have a Phd, and you also have a first class degree. No wonder, this argument is a little bit personal for you, as it is for me. Which is fair, really.
well, truth is, after all said and done, some of the brilliant phds, surgeons, and engineers you speak of in the US who are Nigerians . . . they all don't have a first class degree, you know. I actually know one PhD that has a third class degree from Ogun State University. He's a professor in the US, in a fairly prestigious institution.

You have every right to be proud of your achievements. In the same way, the 2:2 or third class graduate has every right to feel he can do better than even first class grads. I am happy to motivate such people into doing well for themselves, as I share the same view, and have proven it time and again. That's my position.  

coogar:

this is the 5th time i am asking, did wale graduate with anything higher than a 3rd class?
ajanlekoko and oyb should please answer this question and claim their flawless victory.

Didn't I tell you to hush up? angry

1 Like

Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by Nobody: 1:18am On Sep 10, 2011
from wales linkin profuile - just for the dunces who claim the guy spent 10 years in school  cheesy cheesy
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by coogar: 1:19am On Sep 10, 2011
AjanleKoko:

Didn't I tell you to hush up? angry

stop being a tool, mr aja. . . .
my stance that 1st, 2nd 3rd class degrees mean f@ck all in nigeria is haunting you herbs.

what did wale graduate with, mr aja?
cat got your fuckin tongue?

oyb:

from wales linkin profuile - just for the dunces who claim the guy spent 10 years in school  cheesy cheesy

oyb, the herbivorous animal.
wale spent 3 years in school for a 5 yr course(i admit my oversight).
he got double promotion twice in his study. grin cheesy

but the $64,000 question remains unanswered.
what did wale graduate with? in the curriculum vitae you showed, his class of grade was miraculously missing. . . . .

answer the question abeg and stop pissing in the wind.
that he spent 1 or 200 yrs in unilag is purely academic. . . .what did he graduate with?
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by AjanleKoko: 1:26am On Sep 10, 2011
oyb:

from wales linkin profuile - just for the dunces who claim the guy spent 10 years in school cheesy cheesy

He's just a noisy child, really embarassed
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by Nobody: 1:26am On Sep 10, 2011
AjanleKoko:

Okay.
oyb's last post explains it. You have a Phd, and you also have a first class degree. No wonder, this argument is a little bit personal for you, as it is for me. Which is fair, really.
well, truth is, after all said and done, some of the brilliant phds, surgeons, and engineers you speak of in the US who are Nigerians . . . they all don't have a first class degree, you know. I actually know one PhD that has a third class degree from Ogun State University. He's a professor in the US, in a fairly prestigious institution.

You have every right to be proud of your achievements. In the same way, the 2:2 or third class graduate has every right to feel he can do better than even first class grads. I am happy to motivate such people into doing well for themselves, as I share the same view, and have proven it time and again. That's my position.  

I dont disagree with you at all. Infact my brother who finished with a low 2-1 is doing far better than many 1st class or strong 2-1 folks i know. While i know a 1st class colleague who is a financial top dog in the UK today, i know of another very strong 2-1 who is just an unintelligent crammer.

At the end of the day, college degrees dont mean much today. Every idiot can get one and as long as you play ball with your lecturer or HOD, you are guaranteed a 2-1 in naija. What counts is the individual determination to develop him/herself to be the best in everything they do.

Someone once said to me . . . dont waste your time pursuing success, rather pursue excellence in everything you do and success is sure to follow.
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by coogar: 1:30am On Sep 10, 2011
AjanleKoko:

He's just a noisy child, really embarassed

yet more hollow sound bites from the mouth of a feral being.
mr aja, una dey disappoint me o. . .

from what i can see, you are well conversant with the it industry in nigeria.
2 or 3 calls here and there should fetch the answer we need on this argument to close it down.

and yet you won't answer us but you keep pissing in the wind.
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by AjanleKoko: 1:33am On Sep 10, 2011
coogar:

yet more hollow sound bites from the mouth of a feral being.
mr aja, una dey disappoint me o. . .

from what i can see, you are well conversant with the it industry in nigeria.
2 or 3 calls here and there should fetch the answer we need on this argument to close it down.

and yet you won't answer us but you keep pissing in the wind.

Keep on keeping the thread alive, Junior grin
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by coogar: 1:34am On Sep 10, 2011
AjanleKoko:

Keep on keeping the thread alive, Junior grin

what a defeatist way of bowing out of an argument. . . .
ajanlekoko, i put it to you that your certificate is worthless. grin cheesy

the proof of burden is on you to tell me it isn't. grin tongue
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by AjanleKoko: 1:39am On Sep 10, 2011
coogar:

what a defeatist way of bowing out of an argument. . . .
ajanlekoko, i put it to you that your certificate is worthless. grin cheesy

the proof of burden is on you to tell me it isn't. grin tongue

In spite of myself, i have to  cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

errr . . . should that not be 'burden of proof'?
another example of money well wasted.
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by ouchexy: 4:36am On Sep 10, 2011
I have followed this argument between davidylan vs AjanleKoko and oyb, with the regular comical interjection of 'Junior' coogar. I think I have been pushed to say my own view.
I think the class system in universities was designed to distinguish students based on intelligence, diligence, hardwork, disciplinee AND consistency. That is why your CGPA starts counting on your first year. During this period of four or five years, students generally have the opportunity to work harder and improve their GPA before graduation. Thus, your class gives a overall/cumulative view of your academic strength in your chosen course of study. Ideally, it will therefore be unreasonable to say a 2.2 graduate is better or even equal to a 2.1 or first class graduate. Both by common sense and reality, 2.2 graduates perform lower than their higher grade counterparts. But of course, there will always be exceptions where 2.2 graduates have performed beyond exceptions. But one can not generalize on such exceptions and make baseless conclusions that 2.2 graduates are equal to 2.1 or 1.1 graduates. This is the point at which I differ with AjanleKoko. sad
From what I have read in this thread and other threads dedicated to such class of gradates, 2.2 peeps usually want to live and believe in that illusion that they are (NOT can be) better than their 2.1 or 1.1 graduates to pysch them up psychologically. Sometimes it is easier to live in an illusion to make yourself feel good. But I have always advocated that 2.2 or lower class graduates should face the reality. The reality is that based on their OVERALL academic performance, they are not as good as their 2.1 counterparts but they CAN STILL BE BETTER if they work on themselves and develop themselves. Stop living in falsehood about how one isolated 2.2 peep did better than all other 2.1 or 1.1 peeps. To me, that's just childish mental psych up and consolation. It has its root from inferiority complex. I wish all 2.2 and third class peeps success. wink smiley
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by SEFAGO(m): 8:14am On Sep 10, 2011
ouchexy:

I have followed this argument between davidylan vs AjanleKoko and oyb, with the regular comical interjection of 'Junior' coogar. I think I have been pushed to say my own view.
I think the class system in universities was designed to distinguish students based on intelligence, diligence, hardwork, disciplinee AND consistency. That is why your CGPA starts counting on your first year. During this period of four or five years, students generally have the opportunity to work harder and improve their GPA before graduation. Thus, your class gives a overall/cumulative view of your academic strength in your chosen course of study. Ideally, it will therefore be unreasonable to say a 2.2 graduate is better or even equal to a 2.1 or first class graduate. Both by common sense and reality, 2.2 graduates perform lower than their higher grade counterparts. But of course, there will always be exceptions where 2.2 graduates have performed beyond exceptions. But one can not generalize on such exceptions and make baseless conclusions that 2.2 graduates are equal to 2.1 or 1.1 graduates. This is the point at which I differ with AjanleKoko.  sad
From what I have read in this thread and other threads dedicated to such class of gradates, 2.2 peeps usually want to live and believe in that illusion that they are (NOT can be) better than their 2.1 or 1.1 graduates to pysch them up psychologically. Sometimes it is easier to live in an illusion to make yourself feel good. But I have always advocated that 2.2 or lower class graduates should face the reality. The reality is that based on their OVERALL academic performance, they are not as good as their 2.1 counterparts but they CAN STILL BE BETTER if they work on themselves and develop themselves. Stop living in falsehood about how one isolated 2.2 peep did better than all other 2.1 or 1.1 peeps. To me, that's just childish mental psych up and consolation. It has its root from inferiority complex. I wish all 2.2 and third class peeps success. wink smiley

Exactly mate. these guys keep bringing isolated examples of 2:2 students. And talking about their average careers in Nigerian companies like I personally give a s*/hit.

This has nothing to do with me since I did not do University in Nigeria. I am just saying based on the interaction I had with Nigerian 2:2 graduates, I would be loathe to hire them especially engineering graduates.  All these examples of bad 2:1 or first class candidates or the fact that some guy was a college dropout is irrelevant. Yes, some dumb people academically have "great business sense." Kudos to them. However fact remains that the large majority of 2:2 graduates are dimwits. All the nigerian first class graduates I have met have been very good. I have never met a stooopid nigerian first class graduate but i have met a lot of stooopid 2:2 graduates. What do you expect me to conclude? The system might not work but still i am sure its not as bad as people claim it is . . .

I think you guys should Deal with it. Also Corporate Nigeria is very different from other developed countries. i dont know why people are boring me with their jobs in Nigeria like I give a rat-arse. The culture in Nigerian companies is very laid back and most top people in top companies are tbh what I would even consider average. Most Nigerian companies do not have 80-100 hours a week work schedule. most 2:2 graduates who spent all their time lazing about chasing babes would die under an 80 hours a week work schedule which i would have if I started a firm. hence why you guys (class A fuckups with 2:2) could get the 9-5 janitorial jobs. A lot of 2:2 graduates can easily survive in nepotistic nigeria. They would die in a developed country where students are extremely competitive and very hardworking.

Whether I am still a struggling undergrad or a masters students or PhD student or working is irrelevant  grin. And getting a PhD  does not even mean you are smart really it just means you know how to work hard and are efficient (Well if you have a PhD from Harvard, Princeton, Yale, MIT, Stanford, berkeley or caltech it probably means most times than not that you are pretty smart but that's top level).

@SEFAGO,

Between Oyb and Becomrihn, who would you  hire if you were hiring?

Oyb with  Lower credit from Ife Vs Becomrich with first class from Ilorin

They are both electrical engineers BTW

Becomrich, No contest. First class and insightful motha fucka with the analytical brain of a genius. It just that no one on Nairaland understands him except me.
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by mrjingles(m): 10:23am On Sep 10, 2011
This is clearly a dialogue of the deaf. I think the journey of life is too complicated to be reduced to educational qualification (after all many did NOT attend school at all) I think the whole matter should boil down to ONE word- PERFORMANCE. If you can perform on the job at first class level then you are first class but if you can't then you are rubbish regardless of your paper.

I remember when I got my first job in a Nigerian financial institution, the welcome speech at the training school was simple: "thank you all for being here we hope you stay long but we don't tolerate non-performers" And that for me is the crux of the matter, boasting about paper is short sighted, its performance that counts, value addition.

Lets all strive to become people who add value, talking about our 2.1 and 2.2 and 1.1 is just ancient history, we are talking of current affairs, what can you DELIVER. Me am more of a business person so talk of degrees often amuse me, I have NEVER gone for a business meeting where am asked my degree or qualification, its always one question- What can you DELIVER? And i think that's the question we should all be asking ourselves and others what can we deliver, what value can we add in all spheres of life not just on the job?
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by doncaster(m): 1:13pm On Sep 10, 2011
Couger are u for real by saying "cultism only existed in the eastern uni's." PC the mother of all confraternities in Nigeria started from UI. The 1999 VC of OAU is a member. Even one of the contributors on this thread that passed out from OAU is a member. Mr Couger if you are in London next friday just walk pass layton high road you will see a group of men on yellow ask them which one of them finished finished from Las Pamas, Atlanta or Mother Ship(3 acclaimed top uni in SW).
I know a top law firm in Nigeria(Okoyi-Lag) with some cult OAU system men. So get your facts right before more people take you as a joke on this fora.
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by coogar: 1:26pm On Sep 10, 2011
AjanleKoko:

In spite of myself, i have to  cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

errr . . . should that not be 'burden of proof'?
another example of money well wasted.

see this mugu. . . .
booby-trap deliberately left for you so you can come back and criticize. . . . .hoping that would spur you on to answer the pertinent question. . .
yet again, you decided to pursue the bait whilst leaving the main point of the discourse.

ajanlekoko, your penmanship is secondary-school standard.
i would school you in the art of writing.
you dunderhead!!!

doncaster:

Couger are u for real by saying "cultism only existed in the eastern uni's." PC the mother of all confraternities in Nigeria started from UI. The 1999 VC of OAU is a member. Even one of the contributors on this thread that passed out from OAU is a member. Mr Couger if you are in London next friday just walk pass layton high road you will see a group of men on yellow ask them which one of them finished finished from Las Pamas, Atlanta or Mother Ship(3 acclaimed top uni in SW).
I know a top law firm in Nigeria(Okoyi-Lag) with some cult OAU system men. So get your facts right before more people take you as a joke on this fora.

you are chatting shyte as usual.
wale omole isn't a member. . . . .he was lied against.

there was no cultism in oau . . . . probably people lying to you or bunch of school boys meeting up in the bush to discuss the latest mercedes brand.
they have zero activity in the school. the biggest cult in that school is their students' union aka awo boys!!!

1 Like

Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by Sagamite(m): 1:28pm On Sep 10, 2011
@topic

What a stewpid question!

What is your metric for societal relevance? And how did a 2:2 grad fail according to that metric?

So knowledge in ONE field is the tool to determine if someone is relevant to society or not?

Abilities to pass exams is the tool to determine if someone is relevant to society or not?

Please don't make me vomit with such thinking.

If I was to hire or appoint people for a non-technical role, a topical discussion of 30mins about current affairs, in my view, is a better tool than any academic qualification (except in Philosophy).

If I was recruiting, I will dump majority of the HR hulabula and incorporate such a discussion.

If I asked you to talk about a topic like leadership in Nigeria and you talk like an average Niaralander, there is no way you will get the role even with 1st class (top of your graduating set) and 2 PhDs.
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by Mcleo007(m): 1:41pm On Sep 10, 2011
This room is growing at a very high temperature, close to melting the entire blogosphere. Instead of being a decent haven for intelligent inter-play of ideas relevant to the topic discussed, its quickly becoming a meeting point for foul and verbal toss of ideas and national dishonour. Please gents and ladies, the topic of discussion is simply; "Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society?" angry Enough of these name calling and assaults. embarassed Lets discuss like gentlemen and women, and. This is not some road side or parlour argument, where reason is thrown aside, and dissidence becomes the open rule.
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by doncaster(m): 1:45pm On Sep 10, 2011
coogar:

you are chatting shyte as usual.
wale omole isn't a member. . . . .he was lied against.

there was no cultism in oau . . . . probably people lying to you or bunch of school boys meeting up in the bush to discuss the latest mercedes brand.
they have zero activity in the school. the biggest cult in that school is their students' union aka awo boys!!!
Now i know u are having a laugh. Awo boys is a disguise of Aye Fraternity ask around they will tell you more.

Even one of the contributors on this thread that passed out from OAU is a member
Re: Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? by coogar: 1:47pm On Sep 10, 2011
doncaster:

Now i know u are having a laugh. Awo boys is a disguise of Aye Fraternity ask around they will tell you more.

now i know you are on a wind up.
there were no cultists in oau. . . . .they were chickens.
group of boys lying to themselves in the bush they were cultists. . . . . .report one of them to awo boys and watch them flee the campus for months.
is that your idea of cultism?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Lady And Her Workers Made To Sleep Outside After Working For A Client. Photo / Nigeria To Disengage 500,000 N-power Beneficiaries ‘soon’ / More Soldiers Resign Over Intimidation From Superiors – Investigation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 134
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.