Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,619 members, 7,941,384 topics. Date: Friday, 06 September 2024 at 05:16 AM

Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) - Satellite TV Technology (39) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) (352268 Views)

Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 5 - The Final Part) / Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) / Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) ... (85) (Go Down)

Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by vickoy23: 8:13pm On Jun 28, 2008
@all

hi great nairalanders. first let me say a big WELCOME to bigjoe the author of this thread. u no fit sabi d importance of the thing wey u start. pple like me don benefit so much so tay i go install 4 person sometime ago. I made 5k from that venture. but the experience of that day is another story.

I don finish all the whole ku available to 9ja. i don install 4 dish to capture the available 4 birds. so my adventure spirit pursue me to splitting signals for receivers such that u are independent of one another. i assumed the theory that quad LNB output are independent of one another i.e 4 independent output. so with this adventure in mind, i got 4 quad lnb for 3,200 naira each at oshodi mkt and replaced my existing dish lnb with these LNBs. infact i personally own 3 dishes while d 4th one is my neighbor's dstv dish. i replaced his LNB too. now what did i get? Like i assumed, the output are independent so my neighbor got his DSTV. while I got on my bedroom receiver, access to the 4 dishes the receivers in my sitting room too has access to the 4 dishes. They are all independent which is to say if say one receiver is on 11747 H, i can have the other receiver on 11747 V or any V freq. this is not possible with the single LNB. Ofcourse I use DESQ(DISECTOR), abi wetin dem dey call am I don forget d spelling, for each receiver. You can congrat me coz there is no more fight btw my son and I over what station to watch. he takes a receiver while i take d other.

will post pic later

cheers to all

Bigjoe, welcome once again. no vex say my own homage dey come late. i neva visit this forum for some time now.

@ Eniitan2002

no 4get me for the list of pple wey go get the lecture for d free internet oooo. I hope say i dey ur list. vickoy23@yahoo.com. I beg no forget me if u do I go ask tox9ja as i sure say u go give am. I sure say u no go 4get me sha. lol grin grin grin grin
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by Nobody: 6:32pm On Jun 29, 2008
@ vickoy23,

whenever you are ready, i will surely give it out to you, but just remeber that the more you reveal this secret to people the more likely it will be blocked, but i usually have a backup i rely on, so the choice is yours.
I saw your post talking about the quad output LNB, i dont think i really need that on my own part cos it will seems useless for me, am planning of adding pas 7/10 to my setup by next week.

Its like am getting some info about eutesat adding another satellite by june/july next year, i will google that up now and give you guys the feedback, but its likely the position will still be 36E and the name will be eutelsat W7.
Check this link http://www.google.com.ng/search?hl=en&q=eutelsat+w7&btnG=Search&meta=

There's also this daarsat DTH coming up in Nigeria in some weeks time according to press it's being owned by AIT and they will be launching with 40 channels i dont really know how serious they are, but lets wait and see.

I am very sure within the next few years there'll be a great revolution of satellite in nigeria, and we on FTA will surely benefit most, take my word.

The way we all here are contributing to this great thread, we should not forget that we are also making an impact in the satellite world, and sooner or later our voices will be heard, and the satellite providers will become enlightened that by focusing more on the sub-saharan part of africa, there'll surely be an high turnover in their profits. If you google up Free-To-Air, dont be amazed seeing nairaland.com on the result search page
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by kwesi1972(m): 7:58pm On Jun 29, 2008
Hi All,

Just came across this website today whilst searching for info on Free to Air Satellite TV Channels in Africa, Great site and very educative.
I am already familiar with the Satellite TV Market in the UK with a 1.2m motorised satellite tv systems installed at my house in London.

this is my question, I own a house in Ghana and interested in establishing which satellites including names of channels easily obtained in Ghana (Accra). My interest is mainly in free - to - air channels. My equipment will be a Triax 1.1m Dish with a Tiatanium 0.2db LNB and a Multicrypt Digital Satellite Receiver (A receiver that accepts all cards except the uk Sky card). Also is God TV free-o-air and receivable with any FTA receiver in Ghana?

Thanks for your help.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by justx24(m): 4:54pm On Jun 30, 2008
@kwesi1972

Am taking the responsibility on myself to welcome you here on behalf of all Nairalander in the house. Think it will be of more fun for you to read the post from the beginning , embarassed embarassed embarassed opssss i don't think that's realistic anymore , 'because i can see now the pages have grown a lot. Anyway to answer your question, i think the birds you can get in Ghana are desame as we do in Nigeria. With your size of dish you are definitely going Ku band so i think you will be able to get hooked on to , Intelsat 7/10, Eutelsat W4, Eutelsat W3a, Nss 7 , now you have to do some work yourself , check on this site for available frequencies on each bird , http://www.lyngsat.com/europe.html , let us know if you are cool with what you have so far, wink wink

@Enitan
Think am interested in this Free internet stuff too , so please fill me in , justx24@yahoo.co.uk.

justx24
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by kwesi1972(m): 5:45pm On Jun 30, 2008
Justx24.

Thanks for your help.
I'll certainly check the lyngsat site and see what;s available.

Anyone here subscribing to MyTV, DsTV & GTV in Ghana? Whats the feedback?

Thanks.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by fadinus(m): 7:13pm On Jun 30, 2008
enitan, i hav mytv card for sale jst in case u knw anyone that needs it. pls include me in that other stff and pls eni keep it secrt.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by mecussey(m): 12:55pm On Jul 01, 2008
Guys, using CTL FTA in Ibadan take your decoder to the office for activation, the channels will be scrambled today
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by Enigma(m): 2:36pm On Jul 01, 2008
@Kwesi

Go to www.dishpointer.com type your Ghana location in it and it will give you a good idea of what sats can be received and what size dishes.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by linksman(m): 6:21pm On Jul 01, 2008
hi all,
can anyone tell me where i can get a good analog or digital satelite meter to buy here in lagos? and kindly tell me also if you have any idea about the cost
I don tire to dey carry tv dey climb go rooftop!!!!!!!!! grin grin grin.
@kwesi,
thanks bro, for that dishpointer link.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by twinstaiye(m): 6:29pm On Jul 01, 2008
To - Enigma, bigjoe, enitan2002, justx24, gangsta101, pitodenz etc
I had made an effort to start FAQs for newbie which will soon be posted on the first post of this thread by the Admin. I will suggest that we all go through it, and where there is any amendments Please, just email me so that we wont be flooding the thread with the FAQs issue. And once we agreed on the best output, we will just put it on the FAQs. Also, Please note that it is not easy assembling some of these FAQs, that is the need why we must all come as one to realise the onerous task. my email address is twinstaiye@gmail.com

I will also suggest that we start compiling FAQs for experts too, so whoever amongst us that has any FAQs for expert to add should email it to my email box.
Thanks
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by justx24(m): 9:04am On Jul 02, 2008
@linksman

Sorry ooooo, my brother abi na sister, grin grin? Just want to ask you , if this is your first installation, or you are just trying to explore your dish for some more fun? Reason is that you really have to have an idea of the area to scan for a bird, even with the kind of satellite finder i got in Ibadan. Its about 2.5k . the point is it help to pinpoint the frequency you have on your decoder. So please let us know what you are up to and maybe i / we can talk you through it.
Its as easy as that. Let us know what bird you have in mind and the dish size u have with decoder. then maybe try post here or give me a call. At least you can be sure to get +ve result with 1k credit on your phone to call the experts in the house. A 2.5k satellite finder wont make your scaning any easy if you dont know what to do. I know anyone can do it with the right sets of instaruction. All the best Bro,

@twinstaiye

Nice work bro, Am with you all the way ,

@All

I really dont understand the details from http://www.dishpointer.com/ , i mean about the dish size needed for particular bird. I want to know what i will be able to get with 1.8m net and a 2.4m net , And can i get Nss703 with my 90cm dish (KU)?

Thank you all

justx24
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by linksman(m): 12:17pm On Jul 02, 2008
@justx24,
i am about 3 months old into installations and i have done several installations already.
i need that hand held device (DSM - digital satelite monitor) to make my work much easier and faster.
the DSM already is pre-configured with satelite names and their locations, e.g Eutelsat W3A, 7degrees East.
some client locations are an installers nightmare. the handheld digital satelite meter enables me to connect the LNB straight to the DSM and track what ever bird i am looking for with ease, fine tune the signal strenghth and the quality without any need for a tv or external monitor. once, i am done, i just remove my DSM and connect the client's LNB using his cables to his decoder. go indoors and enter the frequency for the tracked bird on the decoder, then run a scan for the channels on the tracked bird.
P.S:- the use of the word "bird" means satelite ooooo no be fowl oooooo grin grin grin
@all,
i still need info on where i can get this Digital Satelite Meter to buy, irrespective of the brand. any ideas? smiley
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by Gangsta101(m): 1:31pm On Jul 02, 2008
twinstaiye

ur post came just in time, i was typing out what i termed a guide to fta for w/african users. i guess i'll just send it to u tomorrow when i finish so u can maybe include it to urs. i also thot about downloading all 39 pages of our thread and combining them in a zip folder and making it available so anyone who cares to read them can easily access them at a go and read offline, will still do that though, let me finish with this first of all.

PS are there really only 4 birds receivable here on ku band, how about on c- band what are the birds available and what are the minimum dish sizes, does any one know?
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by twinstaiye(m): 4:23pm On Jul 02, 2008
@gangsta101,
I will be expecting your mail. As soon as I receive it, I will forward my own compilation to you too for addition or subtraction.
As far as I know, there is C band in Pass 10 am not sure of pass 7, There is C band in 54.5 degree west, there is C band in 22 degree west which NSS7. All above, I had used 1.8m dish to get them in Abuja. Other C-band receivable in Nigeria can best be picked by 3M dish.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by debolay: 4:51pm On Jul 02, 2008
good afternoon twinstaiye i am a nairalander in abuja and need your assistance with my nilesat installation. i have sent you an email already without a response. bolaolofinyo@yahoo.co.uk
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by twinstaiye(m): 5:10pm On Jul 02, 2008
What is the problem with your nilesat?
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by debolay: 9:45am On Jul 03, 2008
no prblem. but i want the other stattions that can view premiership and other more interesting channels. i told my installer about combining lnbs' but he was very adamant (you know how they can be). i was hoping if you can link me to a good insaller that you know here in abuja. i will be most grateful before the season commences. keep up the good work.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by Mustay(m): 10:39am On Jul 03, 2008
twins

Is Seun creating another board for the satellite thingy?
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by twinstaiye(m): 10:51am On Jul 03, 2008
@Mustay
I dont think he is creating another board, all he did was add FAQs to the first post of this thread where newbie can be directed to first read the FAQs first. Check bottom of the first thread, you will see the FAQs there. Go through it, if there is any additions or omissions, email me please.
@debolay
email me, and let us talk about it since you are in Abuja, I may be of help one way or the other.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by Enigma(m): 12:26pm On Jul 03, 2008
twinstaiye

Very good job with the FAQ; very good start; well done

I'm struggling for time at the moment but hopefully when I have a bit of time I will see if I can add anything to it and email it to you.

cool
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by Mustay(m): 3:10pm On Jul 03, 2008
I 've read it before twins.
What am saying is to make a list of the satellite stations and their frequencies (perhaps in the FAQ or in another thread where Seun can lock it and put above other topics on the board).

Presently, they are scattered on different pages
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by twinstaiye(m): 3:45pm On Jul 03, 2008
@ enigma
I hear you my bro, I agreed it is not easy compiling those things.
@mustay, I will ask if that is possible,meanwhile, we may still add some of them in the FAQs for now.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by Mustay(m): 3:58pm On Jul 03, 2008
I think it'll be better in a NEW THREAD cheesy
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by pitodenz(m): 6:13pm On Jul 03, 2008
@ twi
what a good job man i ll assist as soon as i get time.

@ all
i ll advice pple in ph who want to watch so much channels to go for c-band preferable motorized type. for c- band receivable in southern nigeria:
intelsat 4 @ 72e

intelat 710C @ 68.5e

intelsat 906 @ 64.2e

intelsat 902 @ 62.0e

nss703 @ 57.0e

badrc @ 26.2e

intelsat 10-02 @ 0.8w

atlantic bird 3 @ 5.0w

express a3 @11.0w

intelsat 901

nss7c @ 22w

intelsat 905@ 24.5w

intelsat 907 @ 27.5w

intelsat 801 @ 31.5w

intelsat 903 @ 34.5w

nss 10 @ 37.5w

intelsat 707@ 53.0w

as u can see we have more than 16 different sattellite tv receivable all over nigeria depending on the size of ur dish. 1.8m dish can receive all in south apart from sabc n etv in intelsat 902 @ 62.0,though if used some technical material it may come up but that i ve not succeded.but 2.4m dish both net n pan or fiber ll give u all the channels there.

N.B. FOR US IN PH WE RE EXPRIENCING SOME FAILURE IN NSS 7C @ 22W (CNN) IN SOME AREA. BUT STRONG C-BAND LNB IS NOT GIVING ME CNN ANYMORE IN PH I ALWAYS USE SUPERMAX C- BAND LNB. I LL APPRECIATE ANY COMMENT FORM ANY EXPRIENCE INSTALLER IN PH.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by justx24(m): 11:26am On Jul 04, 2008
@pitodenz

Thanks man for this list , just asking to clarify a 1.8m net dish will receive all you stated above except the intelsat 902? Or just some stations on it , am in Ibadan. So that means am a bit high up than PH. Am really thinking of going C-band with a 1.8m net dish, so please advice. And will be cool to have tutorial on installing a motorized dish. And i have seen a dual LNB for the 1.8m dish in the market , will it work good?

Thank you again for the list,

justx24
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by Nobody: 11:37am On Jul 04, 2008
Hey guys all in the house,

am proud to announce to you all am back in lagos and will surely be around for the next 3 months, and to all those who have been asking for assistance for their installations, am all yours now, but i dont want a situation that you want to track astra bird with your 90cm dish, cos i've encountered problems like that before, your 90cm can only receive nss7 ku, w3a, w4, and pas7/10.

@ twinstaiye,
i will surely be of help regarding this FAQs for newbies.

@ pitodenz,
how body, hope militants for there never kidnap ou sha, maybe they never know how important you rae on nairaland, and they will start demanding for ransoms from WE all here in the house before they release you.

@ toxnaija,badaru1,justx24,OLA,ejike3

am home now guys
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by captainus: 11:52am On Jul 04, 2008
@ all

Nollywood (Trendtv)has announced that, from 7/7/08 it will encrypt all the channels.So for us lovers of fta W4 will be useless unless something crops up again.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by Nobody: 12:25pm On Jul 04, 2008
@ captainus,

thats so good, that means those on that bird will be rendered useless for now, cos thats what hitv have been using to market their dish that you can watch up to 7 channels if you dont pay subsription but most people dont know the knowledge behin it.

As for me, W3A is still the best in terms of 90cm ku-band FTA in nigeria.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by Ajiareg(m): 3:24pm On Jul 04, 2008
@all, Guys please help me out, is w3a in the same direction with Eutelsat w4? if no please explain to me. Thanks
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by mecussey(m): 4:17pm On Jul 04, 2008
Ajiareg, yes; but about 30deg elavated, please read previous posts. Good job for TrendTV at the same time HITV accused Trend Tv of being behind the wrong allegation leveled against HITV for pirating TrendTV contents.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by Enigma(m): 6:55pm On Jul 04, 2008
Something to monitor and keep an eye on:

An African beam/footprint has been identified for Sirius 4.8 which very easily covers Nigeria and West Africa.

http://www.lyngsat-maps.com/maps/sirius4_afr.html

Unfortunately no frequencies on the beam are known yet but who knows what might happen in future.

http://www.lyngsat.com/sirius4.html

Edited: if anyone wants to find the satellite, one frequency that has been suggested is 12604 V 27500.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by Ajiareg(m): 11:06pm On Jul 04, 2008
@Mecussey and everybody, Please guys what are the stations on the w3a may be i can ask my installer to help me elevate it. Though i use small dish and i dont even know the size, but its small. Can i get the stations on w3a wit my dish? And wat are the channels there?

(1) (2) (3) ... (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) ... (85)

Q-SAT: QUEEN OF SATELLITES? / All About Multi Tv Free To Air On Astra 2b / All about IKS Decoders(Qsat, Speed HD, Azsky)POWERVU BIS & IPTV boxes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.