Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,825 members, 7,882,873 topics. Date: Sunday, 07 July 2024 at 05:21 PM

Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) - Satellite TV Technology (41) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) (349870 Views)

Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 5 - The Final Part) / Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) / Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) ... (85) (Go Down)

Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by Ejike3: 5:16pm On Jul 13, 2008
@Baba Egun

You did a wonderful job, good explanation. Your pictures explained the setup better.
Keep it us.

@Enitan

How is your health, hope you are feeling better? I wish you quick recovery.
How far about the new setup?
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by Enigma(m): 9:00am On Jul 14, 2008
@ Baba Egun

Where are you located in Nigeria? Also what and what can you receive on Nilesat? Thanks.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by babaegun(m): 9:40am On Jul 14, 2008
@ Enigma

Am in Abuja.

Here is a link to what i receive on nilesat hxxp://www.lyngsat.com/nile.html [change xx to tt] I receive channels from ERTU 11747 V/27500 down to ADD 12303 H/27500 on the page

Cheers.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by Enigma(m): 10:03am On Jul 14, 2008
Thanks for that and well done on your set up; it's a very good set up and with the Diseqc switch you have the advantage that you don't have to wait to switch between channels as in when using a motor. Actually, some pages back I also posted photos of a multi-LNB set up using a diseqc switch.

Have you tried scanning the other frequencies on Nilesat or is it that they just do not come in? Also, did you buy the dish in Abuja there and how much?

I am just wondering if that dish will also be able to get Nilesat in Lagos.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by fasone(m): 10:07am On Jul 14, 2008
@ Baba Egun. Good work out there. You must be happy with your installation and thanks for sharing. What is the name of the different LNBs that you used? I can see they are not the same.

@ gurus in the house, thanks for your supports and for keeping this forum alive. there is this HITV decoder, looks like its a nice one with PVR feature, but does any one know how to enter codes into it and how to upgrade its software? kind regards.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by Enigma(m): 10:20am On Jul 14, 2008
@Fasone

I don't know that HITV receiver; but could you tell us its brand name e.g. Strong xxxx and maybe we can find information on it.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by babaegun(m): 10:34am On Jul 14, 2008
@Enigma

I actually entered the frequencies but its like my dish is too small to catch it. My dish is 1.8m but with 2.4m or more, I should be able to catch those channels.

I bought the dish in Abuja. Its =N=9,000.00 at Zone 3 (popularly know as Neighbourhood). For you to get Nilesat in Lagos, you need a bigger dish like 2.4m or more.

I hope that answers your questions. Cheers.

@Fasone

Looking at the picture, the first one is Strong LNB, I'll confirm the other ones for you tomorrow. I was elated after the whole setup.

Cheers.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by justx24(m): 11:58am On Jul 14, 2008
@baba_egun

What a nice contribution , this this will help lot of us here , But for me , i envy you guys up north. Am here in Ibadan, to get nilesat , mean gigantic dish have to come into my landlords premise.

@all
I called Enitan last week when i was just about sealing a deal for an old 3m+ dish in my area for 10k(meaning i wan steal am). But when i got there the following day to pick up my deal , the dish vanished cheesy cheesy. I guessed was sold for higher bider. I got my money back and walked home relived , 'cos have being wondering what am going to tell my landlord angry angry angry. Anway , i think i will be better of with a 1.8m net dish. Still this guy have to be tall, about 2.5m pole will be required. The only place i have space in my compound is next to a fence as tall as kirirkiri's and my bungalow building. Maybe a good instruction on installing mororized 1.8m dish will be good for us here.

Thank you for the good job all

justx24
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by DatNiggaAk(m): 12:03pm On Jul 14, 2008
please, has anybody started viewing mbc persia on nilesat?
for those that watch nilesat, i was able to discover 3 new channels
smile tv : music channel(i prefer their videos to that of mtv arabia)
foxmovies : movies
space power : movies
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by sathob(m): 12:33pm On Jul 14, 2008
@ Kwesi1972
since this forum is dedicated to FTA I would rather talk about payTv outside the forum. contact signalbit@yahoo.com for answers to you question on MyTV, GTV and stuff.

No charges, just as the FTA is.

@ all cheesy

I have been following this thread from page one and this is a bunch of ideas that reflect what the African is capable of doing, especially our Nigerian brothers.
You have done a great job and shown that unselfishness and a united spirit of moving africa to the limelight of technology.

Good work done, enitan, jujukemist,badaru,pitodenz and all other names I can't recollect at the moment
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by fasone(m): 2:37pm On Jul 14, 2008
@ Enigma
I think it is a clone or something, doesnt even have a brand name. When I check the net, it look similar to AXIL RC 107. May be you can help. I will post the Axil's picture soon.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by fasone(m): 2:58pm On Jul 14, 2008
@ enigma and all.

it looks exactly like this one in the pictures.

Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by FMarshal2(m): 4:22pm On Jul 14, 2008
@Baba_egun! grin
That's what I'm talking about. This is exactly the kinds of setups that brings a big grin to my face too. You captured 3 birds on one Dish! Were the LNB brackets you used home made (Did you make them yourself)? Over here in North America, on a multiple LNB setup, the maximum "offcenter" spacing between LNBs is about 10° degrees and anything above that, the signal will suffer. Looking at your setup it seems that you are getting singals from 7.0°E, 22.0°W and 7.0°W.  Facing the Dish in what order are the birds lined up? From the picture the LNBs seem to be lined-up vertically. It was a smart thing you did using the 4X1 switch. If you had dual output LNBs and additional 4X1 DiseqC switch you will have another cable running into another part of your house.  cool What Brand of DiseqC Switch did you use?
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by Happychild(m): 8:18am On Jul 15, 2008
Guys ,
I watch Nollywoods with Trend as the provider .
But i need an assistance , i need to watch stations such as FOX channel , teletoon , france 24 on My second dish Focused on the satelite of Intelsat 702 for my tvafrica but i dont know how to track it for free .
Anyone with ass can send me a mail on ike4charles@yahoo,com
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by biggjoe(m): 9:03am On Jul 15, 2008
I  think Trend Tv now mean business since they used conax to encrypt their channels.

Bad news for we FTA lovers, I think.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by Mustay(m): 9:07am On Jul 15, 2008
Yeah!

I noticed that too.

the stations I found on the satellite where encrypted! angry tongue

I never used to see the Fox Sports until last weekend
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by urfriend(m): 10:29am On Jul 15, 2008
hi bigjoe,why do u think that conax is a good cas?
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by biggjoe(m): 11:09am On Jul 15, 2008
@urfriend,
Conax is GOOD for them (Trend TV) if HiTv has used it succesfully for so long.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by biggjoe(m): 11:24am On Jul 15, 2008
I saw an advert on FLAT satellite receiver (dish) on lyngsat.

Anyone have an idea on the working principle of that one. It really got me thinking.

I think I will go for a research for that one.

Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by Gangsta101(m): 3:15pm On Jul 15, 2008
hi fellas

Baba Eguns post gives me some hope. i've been thinking of installing nilesat for some friiends in Makurdi when i go to visit in a few weeks time, but i was doubting if a 1.8m dish would work, but if it works in abuja, maybe it will work in makurdi.
about the missing nilesat channels, it is one of those things most of us here have come to take for granted, some channels just won't come up, including the new mbc persia channel. what i have used to console myself and stop disturbing my dish is that for whatever reason, the same satellite, transmits different frequencies at differing intensities, probably has something to do with area of coverage intended but i don't know, that is why,BBCs signal strengyth is 66% while Cnn is 52%, and MBC persia is unreceivable.

something funny happened to me a few days ago. in the last few weeks, i had been experiencing some signal losses involving w3a, nilesat and on rare days, nss7. what happens is that some days, u wake up and most channels are gone from w3a, while on nilesat, only the chanels on very strong signal levels are still available e.g, bbc and foxmovies, the others fluctuate every few minutes, that is they come up, stay for about 5 mins and disappear. the next day, u wake up and everything is back to normal. i put up with that for about 2 weeks, then all of a sudden it became permanent, no return to status quo. i got really pissed off after i couldn't watch the nadal v federer match, called a friend and he said his was working just fine. i decided i was going to have to buy three new lnbs, i went away for a few days, and on the day i returned, i had some friends over who wanted to watch some aljazeera sports, so i decided to exchange the lnb i use for nss7 with nilesat because the nss7 seemed to be the least affected. when i changed it most of the channels were visible and the fluctuations ceased. that made me sure it was an lnb problem and definitely not a satellite one.

now when my dish was installed originally, the installer removed the dielectric over the base of the lnb and trimmed the edge of the lnb, so i looked into the open part and lo and behold there was a spider which had built a nest inside the lnb. i cleaned it out and put the original nilesat lnb back, and it worked like i charm. i checked the other lnb and there was also a spider in that also. damn spiders almost cost me N2,000. thot it would be a cool experience to share.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by debolay: 4:41pm On Jul 15, 2008
Hi Baba-Egun, i am a member of the forum who also resides i abuja and i need ur assistance. i don't know anything about the nilesat installation but i am hoping that you will be of assistance. An installer installed my nilesat dish abou 7 weeks ago but i ammissing some channels. After much complaints he seems not to know how to go about it. he can't even combine lnb's on the same dish. i have toldhim about the forum but he seems not to know much. Pls help me ,as i am missing out. 08033800330
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by hyaco(m): 6:14pm On Jul 15, 2008
U guys are really doing good work. i have found what i think is good for fast connectivity which is digital satellite meter which gives u all the features, like watch your channels while you install your dish,save the time of carrying your T.V set out side. contact me if you are interested in getting more details,08052218329
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by justx24(m): 8:25am On Jul 16, 2008
@Gangsta101

Nice one Bro, we should all beware of the spiderman , abi na woman(just asking in case you checked) wink wink wink? Think i dig this experience and its something for everyone to note , Nobody will say you didn't tell us. And also you should be very careful when approaching such problems , the spider could be spiritual in nature , maybe sent by people who day envy your dish , not you grin grin. So make sure you know "THE LORD IS MY SHEPHERD".
Just messing with you friends , nice one , Thanks

justx24
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by babaegun(m): 9:04am On Jul 16, 2008
@ debolay

You will definitely miss some channels if you have a 1.8m dish. I am rarely at home so the little time I am around, my family always insists i take them out, so its a little bit tight for me.  You can download the pictures of my own installation and show your installer, i believe that will be a good guide for him.

@Gansta101

Yes, The spider wahala is a common one with LNBs that are cut open. Its called "BLOCKAGE".  So you will always need to check your LNB from time to time to dislodge the unwelcome "TENANT"

@F_Marshall

The LNB brackets are not locally made but the flat plate. My welder made the two for me @ N250 each.
I am presently getting signals from NSS 7 @ 7.0°E, Nilesat @ 22.0°W and Eutelsat W3A @ 7.0°W.  The DiseqC switch is a STRONG product.

@fasone

The LNBs are STRONG and PAUXIUS products. I can't remember the third one because i threw away the container box. Well, it was the only one available at that time. Though I've not had the time to compare the signal strengths.

@hyaco

Are you in any way referring to the Trimax SM-2200(attachment)? Its very expensive but a nice toy. its about $459.00 (about N55,000 shocked). But if you have a better one that is cheap, please post it here for us all to see.

Cheers

Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by captainus: 9:32am On Jul 16, 2008
@ Baba_egun,

When I checked the frequency on the nilesat link u gave above,it appears the beam is for middleeast.I'm wondering if for someone like me in southern Ghana with a 1.8m dish&strong receiver I will be able to receive any of the signals.Please throw more light on this.Thanks
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by Enigma(m): 11:46am On Jul 16, 2008
@fasone

I have checked on the Axil RC 107 but cannot as yet find any information on patching it. It probably does not have much unofficial support by way of patches --- in fact provider-supplied receivers are usually useless in terms of patches. I believe that you probably can get official software through HITV or at that locura.com - which of course is probably unnecessary anyway. BUT, more importantly, be careful because as the RC 107 seems to be designed to do both terrestrial and satellite reception its software might not be compatible with yours (assuming yours can't do terrestrial). It does not help that most info about the RC 107 is in Spanish although you can also search under its alternative model name i.e. TBoston DTT 8300.

@Gangsta

Yep, the spider and LNB scenario is one of the amusing (sometimes annoying) aspects of sat TV

@F_Marshall and biggjoe

Yes, there are different types of flat-pack antennas; the crucial thing is whether the gain is sufficient to equal the dish size required for a particular satellite since even the flat pack still has to be aligned. Some chap here says he wants to get one to experiment and if he does so and gives a report I will pass it on. However, bear in mind that the satellite that he wants to try (28e) can be received over here 'on a plate used for eating rice' as compared to trying to get a difficult sat like Nilesat.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by babaegun(m): 12:11pm On Jul 16, 2008
@captainus

Sure the beam is for middle east and that is why a big dish (1.8m and above) is required over here (Nigeria) to track the satellite. Over there, they do not need a big dish. They use small dishes (like 90cm) to pick the signals.

Yes, I think you should be able to track Nilesat with your 1.8m [or bigger--(gurus in the house can correct me if am wrong )] and strong decoder.  Infact, from the hxxp://www.dishpointer.com/ website, it appears you (Ghanaian) are even closer to the satellite that those of us  here in Nigeria.

I hope this help.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by sathob(m): 1:13pm On Jul 16, 2008
@ all, I salute
this seem to be like an assignment to me. I was able to track intelsat 7/10 using eutelsat w4 by entering the transponder frequency 12722 H, SR 26657
and the same on ST 1/ku for eutelsat w4 at 12207 H, 27500. visitng lyngsat i realised st's beam is far away effect africa.

I want to know the technical explanation how it is achieved though I have it done , I don't fully understand it.
may be understanding this will help to track some birds far from theoritical reach using other birds.

I use strong 4653x and a 60cm dish.

sathob
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by sathob(m): 1:17pm On Jul 16, 2008
@baba egun
do you know where one can get the TRIMAX SM-2200? and how much will it cost

respect

sathob
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by linksman(m): 2:18pm On Jul 16, 2008
@ sathob,
you entered the parameters for pas 7/10 manually into the satelite named eutelsat w4.
the frequency, polarisation and symbol rate are those of pas7/10.
that's why u are getting pas7/10 signals under the name eutelsat w4.
besides, both pas7/10 and eutelsat w4 are both facing east (68.5 and 36 degrees respectively)
cheers. grin
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by captainus: 2:47pm On Jul 16, 2008
@ baba_egun
Thanks.I will give it a try this weekend.
My 2nd question is that, when I looked at ur set up it is not motorized.I wonder how u get Nss7(22.5W),W3(7E) and Nilesat(7W) all with the dish at one position.
I'm asking this because on my set up ,I have oneKU LNB and one Cband LNB and it is motorized.The dish has to move to get from say 7E before I get say Nss7 not at one position as depicted in ur set up. Yours is amazing,getting all three birds in ONE position.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by ftalover(m): 3:06pm On Jul 16, 2008
You guys are doing good work. Keep it up. I met a nairalander on this forum, he help me did my installation. Baba_egun, you are good, even bigjoe

(1) (2) (3) ... (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) ... (85)

Q-SAT: QUEEN OF SATELLITES? / All About Multi Tv Free To Air On Astra 2b / All about IKS Decoders(Qsat, Speed HD, Azsky)POWERVU BIS & IPTV boxes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.