Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,668 members, 7,951,804 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 01:19 AM

Why Do White People Divorce So Frequently And For Flimsy Reasons? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Do White People Divorce So Frequently And For Flimsy Reasons? (9188 Views)

"My Husband Uses ‘Aboniki’ Balm As Lubricant" – Woman Files For Divorce / why people divorce too much today / Why Do People Divorce? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do White People Divorce So Frequently And For Flimsy Reasons? by Agbo2(m): 11:18am On Sep 27, 2007
babeelove & her cohorts,

u guys had better watch your backs!
Re: Why Do White People Divorce So Frequently And For Flimsy Reasons? by Militiana: 10:17pm On Sep 27, 2007
Agbo2:

babeelove & her cohorts,

u guys had better watch your backs!

Common Sharrraaaaapppp!!!! angry
Re: Why Do White People Divorce So Frequently And For Flimsy Reasons? by Nobody: 1:19am On Sep 28, 2007
mili mili,na me o
under the mango tree grin
Re: Why Do White People Divorce So Frequently And For Flimsy Reasons? by Militiana: 5:34am On Sep 28, 2007
nwando:

mili mili,na me o
under the mango tree grin

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked----------wetin do you? You get accident for Nairaland? grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy
Re: Why Do White People Divorce So Frequently And For Flimsy Reasons? by Skywalker5(m): 5:43am On Sep 28, 2007
Cus they dont know the difference between love and lust grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Do White People Divorce So Frequently And For Flimsy Reasons? by April22(f): 2:47pm On Sep 28, 2007
Here in the USA the rate of divorce between Nigerian nurses and their husbands almost reach white people own.
Sadly many have also been killed by the men during or after the divorce.

Nigerians know how to endure and "manage"
oyibo women and African Americans cannot "manage"

Manage what? To stay in a violent marriage? From what you posted here it sounds like those women were leaving violent marriages.

1 Like

Re: Why Do White People Divorce So Frequently And For Flimsy Reasons? by JustGood(m): 9:54am On Sep 30, 2007
2 seperate studies in America have concluded that women are unhappier than men. One of those studies was conducted by Betsey Stevenson and Justin Wolfers.

In Britain,research has established that women are ten times more likely to be severely depressed than they were 50 years ago - twice as likely as men.

Bel Mooney of the Mail said: "they've been bitten by the happiness virus - which guarantees a life of dissatisfaction"

Women need to be careful when chasing happiness as defined by the West. The studies state that women in the past had more happiness because they did not allow the bug of chasing unrealistic "happiness" to catch them.

Perhaps the search for the unrealistic happiness is what is making the divorce rate so high. Keep chasing what you read about and you may never find it, life becomes empty and depressing as a result. Better to be realistic and know what is achievable than chase what you read can be achieved. Many also want to live the lifestyle and the lives they see on movies. How many people on earth have the movie family lifestyle
Re: Why Do White People Divorce So Frequently And For Flimsy Reasons? by almondjoy(f): 9:29pm On Oct 01, 2007
@Topic

The same flimsy reasons why Black People stay together in "fake" marriages.
Re: Why Do White People Divorce So Frequently And For Flimsy Reasons? by NINETOFIVE(m): 10:42pm On Oct 01, 2007
If you guys think is financial freedom that is is the curse of the divorce rate in Europe and America, then you must be bunch of naive people, the north east Asians like the Japanese enjoys more financial freedom than the westerners, but they don't divorce, the eastern Europeans are very poor people and their divorce rate is 90%. Is just the nature of Europeans, they are the most incompatible race, the reason for the divorce race is the me me attitude, most of the time they consider only themselves. so people don't try to copy this useless way of life, cause you might have to commit suicide in the end when you would be moving from one relationship to another till you are old and lonely, believe me this is the curse of depression and suicide prevalent in Europe and America.
Re: Why Do White People Divorce So Frequently And For Flimsy Reasons? by almondjoy(f): 3:39am On Oct 02, 2007
NINETOFIVE:

If you guys think is financial freedom that is is the curse of the divorce rate in Europe and America, then you must be bunch of naive people, the north east Asians like the Japanese enjoys more financial freedom than the westerners, but they don't divorce, the eastern Europeans are very poor people and their divorce rate is 90%. Is just the nature of Europeans, they are the most incompatible race, the reason for the divorce race is the me me attitude, most of the time they consider only themselves. so people don't try to copy this useless way of life, cause you might have to commit suicide in the end when you would be moving from one relationship to another till you are old and lonely, believe me this is the curse of depression and suicide prevalent in Europe and America.

True. Just as being stuck in an unhappy violent marriage has sent many to their graves in Africa. Management in a loveless, violent marriage. The fact that people stay together does not mean they are happy---hypetension and cardiac failure awaits these categories instead of suicide. Most are trapped all in the name of marriage. What a way to live.

Divorce is always a welcome to me if you have an abusive spouse. It is better to be single and alive and let depression kill you in your lonely old age than to die in the hands of a maniacal spouse at a young age. When it comes to a matter of life and death---divorce is the least of the problems. It is not matter a white or black matter. We all have our own perculiar racial problems with the same results. No one is better than the other.
Re: Why Do White People Divorce So Frequently And For Flimsy Reasons? by typical: 11:10am On Oct 02, 2007
hypertension and cardiac problems ke?
has it not been statistical stated that these are much more common in the west? so how do you relate that to Africa?
oyinbo people dey beat women pass naija people sef. make you come here come see the number of domestic violence wey we dey see everyday.

oyinbo people just like to publicise any negative they can think up about africa. we are not worse than them when it comes to domestic violence
Re: Why Do White People Divorce So Frequently And For Flimsy Reasons? by almondjoy(f): 6:47pm On Oct 02, 2007
typical:

hypertension and cardiac problems ke?
has it not been statistical stated that these are much more common in the west? so how do you relate that to Africa?
oyinbo people dey beat women pass naija people sef. make you come here come see the number of domestic violence wey we dey see everyday.

oyinbo people just like to publicise any negative they can think up about africa. we are not worse than them when it comes to domestic violence

The point I was trying to make is that there is no difference between the two cultures.  Westerners may divorce for some "flimsy reasons", while non-westerners marry for some "flimsy reasons" to arrive at the same destination---unhappiness and untimely death. undecided All cultures have their perculiar problems so no one is ultimately at an advantage point. You just pick the best from the medley and make your own potpourri or salad that works for you.
Re: Why Do White People Divorce So Frequently And For Flimsy Reasons? by Zandra1(f): 5:34am On Oct 04, 2007
@ almomdjoy, ure so right. Some white people are better off in the fact that they can get away from an abusive marriage without caring a hoot of whose ox is gored. Among all Nigerians I've met here in the US I dont think there are any that are really happy in their marriages cause practically almost all of them are in loveless marriages. Either the husband is beating up the wife or the wife is beating the hell outta the husband, or the wife/husband is cheating etc and they call that marriage. White people do all this stuff too but they can at least get divorce instead of being punching bags unlike among many Nigerians that consider divorce a sacrilage. So many of them dont even know what the sweet enjoyments of marriage are all about rather they would say that their parents have been married for 60yrs so that they too would do the same while at the same time they are busy cheating on each other so much that they dont spend time together with each other. Many Nigerian couples are together for the sake of that word marriage when they know there's nothing left or that could save that marriage except the grace of God. To me, better be happy and single than be married and always in tears. Couples should work on their marriages and at the same time remember that marriage is not to be endured like a burden. Happiness is priceless; it has no price tag for people to endure certain things in their lives that could be changed for the better. Personally, I also think that people should ask God to give them their life partners cause in my own belief thats the ultimate way to get pure joy and happiness in ur marriage.
Re: Why Do White People Divorce So Frequently And For Flimsy Reasons? by almondjoy(f): 8:17am On Oct 04, 2007
Zandra1:

@ almomdjoy, ure so right. Some white people are better off in the fact that they can get away from an abusive marriage without caring a hoot of whose ox is gored. Among all Nigerians I've met here in the US I don't think there are any that are really happy in their marriages cause practically almost all of them are in loveless marriages.

Either the husband is beating up the wife or the wife is beating the hell out of the husband, or the wife/husband is cheating etc and they call that marriage. White people do all this stuff too but they can at least get divorce instead of being punching bags unlike among many Nigerians that consider divorce a sacrilage. So many of them don't even know what the sweet enjoyments of marriage are all about rather they would say that their parents have been married for 60yrs so that they too would do the same while at the same time they are busy cheating on each other so much that they don't spend time together with each other.

Many Nigerian couples are together for the sake of that word marriage when they know there's nothing left or that could save that marriage except the grace of God. To me, better be happy and single than be married and always in tears. Couples should work on their marriages and at the same time remember that marriage is not to be endured like a burden.

Happiness is priceless; it has no price tag for people to endure certain things in their lives that could be changed for the better. Personally, I also think that people should ask God to give them their life partners cause in my own belief thats the ultimate way to get pure joy and happiness in your marriage.

You could not have put it in a better way.  That is why I respect white people or African-Americans.  They do not compromise their "happiness" for any reason.  We Africans will rather sit there and die in silence because we got married for the wrongest of reasons.  How hypocritical.  Oh! What will people say?

90% of Nigerian marriages are shams and the unhappiness is so overwhelming that you feel sorry for their unfortunate children.  That is why they spend so much time in spiritual centers looking for miracles and wasting away in unhappiness. 

I see them everyday around me and wonder why people are so hell bent on being unhappy---just to be married.  Everything is a "do or die" affair with Marriage in Nigeria and someone is talking about "whites" divorcing for "flimsy" reasons? undecided  We need to learn to remove the "mahoghany" in our eyes before we see the "speck" in others'

In fact I have a cousin who did everything she could to get some loafer of a guy to marry her knowing that the dude had no house, no job, no savings----absolutely nothing.  Now after about a year of marriage and one child into the marriage--the "center" cannot hold and things are rapidly crumbling around them.  The dude does not even come home anymore. Now tell me what type of life this is?
Re: Why Do White People Divorce So Frequently And For Flimsy Reasons? by Nobody: 3:58am On Oct 06, 2007
almondjoy:

You could not have put it in a better way. That is why I respect white people or African-Americans. They do not compromise their "happiness" for any reason. We Africans will rather sit there and die in silence because we got married for the wrongest of reasons. How hypocritical. Oh! What will people say?

90% of Nigerian marriages are shams and the unhappiness is so overwhelming that you feel sorry for their unfortunate children. That is why they spend so much time in spiritual centers looking for miracles and wasting away in unhappiness.

I see them everyday around me and wonder why people are so hell bent on being unhappy---just to be married. Everything is a "do or die" affair with Marriage in Nigeria and someone is talking about "whites" divorcing for "flimsy" reasons? undecided We need to learn to remove the "mahoghany" in our eyes before we see the "speck" in others'

In fact I have a cousin who did everything she could to get some loafer of a guy to marry her knowing that the dude had no house, no job, no savings----absolutely nothing. Now after about a year of marriage and one child into the marriage--the "center" cannot hold and things are rapidly crumbling around them. The dude does not even come home anymore. Now tell me what type of life this is?

If our economic situation was comparable,the divorce rate in Nigeria will be just as high.
many of those women who sat and saw their husbands take on 2nd and third wives would have simply walked out with their kids rather than stay and increase their chances of HIV.
Those cheating husbands would have been left to run the streets.
But some of these women are stuck not just by lack of finances but also societal stigma.
Re: Why Do White People Divorce So Frequently And For Flimsy Reasons? by almondjoy(f): 2:02pm On Oct 06, 2007
nwando:

If our economic situation was comparable,the divorce rate in Nigeria will be just as high.
many of those women who sat and saw their husbands take on 2nd and third wives would have simply walked out with their kids rather than stay and increase their chances of HIV.
Those cheating husbands would have been left to run the streets.
But some of these women are stuck not just by lack of finances but also societal stigma.

I see what you are saying. That is why I think that most of the marriages in Nigeria--70% polygamous should not count as marriages. They are no better than the situation with the "divorced whites" .

@poster--

Some marriages are not marriages in Nigeria so do not think that "divorced whites" are the confused ones here. Infact, they have got all their marbles intact. The Polygamists and come and go as you please marriages in Nigeria is the real joke!
Re: Why Do White People Divorce So Frequently And For Flimsy Reasons? by JustGood(m): 7:18pm On Oct 07, 2007
Now some people are going to tell us that there are no marriages in Nigeria until we start doing it just like white people.

Na wa for naija people o.

God knows if we will ever be free from this bondage sad
Re: Why Do White People Divorce So Frequently And For Flimsy Reasons? by Nobody: 10:24pm On Oct 07, 2007
my brother don't make up what someone did not say.
The truth is that the divorce rate in Naija would be just as high if not for poverty.

All those women used as punching bags in front of the whole yard and called "ewu" by a man who pledged to love them would have left ages ago

1 Like

Re: Why Do White People Divorce So Frequently And For Flimsy Reasons? by JustGood(m): 11:14am On Oct 08, 2007
The women you know get used as punching bags.
The women I know dont get used as punching bags.

Maybe Japanese women also get used as punching bags because their divorce rate is not as high as Europeans and Americans.

Abeg make we see road with yeye propaganda about wife bashing in Nigeria
Re: Why Do White People Divorce So Frequently And For Flimsy Reasons? by Seun(m): 11:20am On Oct 08, 2007
Wife beating is a popular sport in Nigeria. It's equivalent to beating your junior sister.
But I don't think it has anything to do with divorce. It's not very relevant to the discussion.

Enlightened women tend to divorce more frequently because they know they have a choice.
And I think it's ok. Divorce is not the worst thing in the world. It may be a lesser evil.
Re: Why Do White People Divorce So Frequently And For Flimsy Reasons? by Nobody: 8:02pm On Oct 08, 2007
The truth is in Nigeria there's a stigma associated with divorce so women stay on sometimes till death by the hands of the same man or until she has no self esteem left.

JustGood:

The women I know don't get used as punching bags.

Maybe Japanese women also get used as punching bags because their divorce rate is not as high as Europeans and Americans.

I love ostriches.
Big birds with their heads in the sand not knowing the back side is evident to the whole world.

1 Like

Re: Why Do White People Divorce So Frequently And For Flimsy Reasons? by almondjoy(f): 8:16am On Oct 10, 2007
Seun:

Wife beating is a popular sport in Nigeria. It's equivalent to beating your junior sister.
But I don't think it has anything to do with divorce. It's not very relevant to the discussion.

Enlightened women tend to divorce more frequently because they know they have a choice.
And I think it's ok. Divorce is not the worst thing in the world. It may be a lesser evil.

Nothing else to say here!  This sums it all.

nwando:

The truth is in Nigeria there's a stigma associated with divorce so women stay on sometimes till death by the hands of the same man or until she has no self esteem left.

I love ostriches.
Big birds with their heads in the sand not knowing the back side is evident to the whole world.

cheesy--That is our own "nwando" from Nairaland talking here.  Always with a dash of spice.  I love "mrs dash"!!!! cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin

JustGood:

Now some people are going to tell us that there are no marriages in Nigeria until we start doing it just like white people.

Na wa for naija people o.

God knows if we will ever be free from this bondage sad

JustGood:

The women I know don't get used as punching bags.

Yeah! Men like you will downplay such a terrible scenario in Nigeria. So that most people do not recognize abusive relationships.  As a result, most women just suffer in silence or die of violence with their children in the name of "marriage".
Re: Why Do White People Divorce So Frequently And For Flimsy Reasons? by sylvao2000(m): 9:15am On Oct 10, 2007
becuase they are white grin
Re: Why Do White People Divorce So Frequently And For Flimsy Reasons? by JustGood(m): 11:37am On Oct 10, 2007
Seun:

Maybe the women you know are sparring partners for their boxer husbands cheesy
I dont know women who are such.
Re: Why Do White People Divorce So Frequently And For Flimsy Reasons? by Nobody: 8:33pm On Oct 10, 2007
what a liar.
Seun abeg ban this guy grin
Re: Why Do White People Divorce So Frequently And For Flimsy Reasons? by JustGood(m): 2:21pm On Oct 11, 2007
nwando:

what a liar.
Seun abeg ban this guy grin

you already know that I am a LIAR!!! That's an insult

You also seem to believe you have a remote control for Seun to ban others.

Perhaps you think that if I get banned, my life will come to a halt.

Go and get a life
Re: Why Do White People Divorce So Frequently And For Flimsy Reasons? by omoge(f): 3:33pm On Oct 11, 2007
JustGood
To be honest with you, wife beating is very common in Nigeria that you'd think it's a past time. just see how those conductors beat/slap ladies anyhow at the motor park.

Most of the women have no choice. They think of their children, economy and the stigma attached to it. If not, they will be divorcing in drooves like the whites.
It is good the way the whites dump their sorry ass bo grin.
Re: Why Do White People Divorce So Frequently And For Flimsy Reasons? by almondjoy(f): 11:04pm On Oct 11, 2007
omoge:

JustGood
To be honest with you, wife beating is very common in Nigeria that you'd think it's a past time. just see how those conductors beat/slap ladies anyhow at the motor park.

Most of the women have no choice. They think of their children, economy and the stigma attached to it. If not, they will be divorcing in drooves like the whites.

It is good the way the whites dump their sorry ass bo grin.

In a heart beat!  No room for negotiation.  I wonder when the economic climate will improve enough for women and children in Africa as a whole so they do not have to get married if they do not want to--might be their last card to surviving brutal attacks from most of the frustrated males!.  In in the name of sham marriages as "required" by some society with no ethical or moral values!
Re: Why Do White People Divorce So Frequently And For Flimsy Reasons? by Nobody: 3:35am On Oct 12, 2007
JustGood:

you already know that I am a LIAR!!! That's an insult

You also seem to believe you have a remote control for Seun to ban others.

Perhaps you think that if I get banned, my life will come to a halt.

Go and get a life

ROFL
Re: Why Do White People Divorce So Frequently And For Flimsy Reasons? by lateefah79: 2:42pm On Oct 15, 2007
i dey always gbadu ur response bebelove
for una wey say because na white man sidon there,na when the tin wan kill u,u go divorce abi.me i like oyinbo style o.
Re: Why Do White People Divorce So Frequently And For Flimsy Reasons? by Busta(f): 2:46pm On Oct 15, 2007
why are peeps so quick to pounce on other pple's replys.----chill pple, its only the net!

@topic, because everyone is getting married and then they rush into it and later find out that they ain't compatible with each other.

J-lo got married 3x
Pam anderson married 3x
Re: Why Do White People Divorce So Frequently And For Flimsy Reasons? by dudubobo1: 2:06pm On May 02, 2008
They later find out they are not compatible? That means they are stupid and incapable of rational thinking

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Is This Also Part Of Marriage Romance? / Children's Day 2019: What Is One Of Your Favorite Childhood Memories? / Kidnapped 6Yr Old Girl Kosi Akilo @ Enugu On Sunday May 13th 2012

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.