Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,162 members, 7,887,385 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 08:02 AM

Lagos Indigenes In North America Support Regional System Of Govt - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Indigenes In North America Support Regional System Of Govt (12928 Views)

Return To Regionalism: We Won’t Be Part Of Western Region – Lagos Indigenes / UK Warship Arrives In Nigeria To Support Regional Maritime Security / No Man’s Land: Rhodes-vivour Condemns Proposed Law To Protect Lagos Indigenes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Indigenes In North America Support Regional System Of Govt by ariesbull: 4:02pm On Jun 07
raskymonojendor:
Good job. Bode George and his divisive minions can go pound sand.

GRV remains rejected no matter what he is cooking with Bode George.
you are mkt even lagos indigenes and this attitude of all these yoruba is making lagos indigenes to distance themselves from you
Re: Lagos Indigenes In North America Support Regional System Of Govt by raskymonojendor: 4:04pm On Jun 07
ariesbull:
you are mkt even lagos indigenes and this attitude of all these yoruba is making lagos indigenes to distance themselves from you
If only you know how much an average Awori man hates GRV. Even his fellow Saros hate him. 😂

Anyway, just as I have been inviting others, you are also welcome to a space we are holding tonight at 8pm. Follow Baba Awori on twitter.

5 Likes

Re: Lagos Indigenes In North America Support Regional System Of Govt by kayusely70(m): 5:06pm On Jun 07
Ategberoson:

If you're not a foool you won't be a non Yoruba and be telling me not to put mouth in my Yoruba matter

Is Lagos state Igbo affairs? Duummy!

You imbeciiles are just dumb and stuupid consistently
Don't mind those people jare!

1 Like

Re: Lagos Indigenes In North America Support Regional System Of Govt by MightySparrow: 5:23pm On Jun 07
Konquest:

Succinctly stated.

You have a bird's eye view of the whole situation.

Herbert Macaulay was born in Broad Street, Lagos Island on 14th November, 1864 to the family of Thomas Babington Macaulay and Abigail Crowther (One of the Anglican Bishop Samuel Ajayi Crowther's daughters. Ajayi Crowther's father from Osogun now in Oyo State and his mother was from the Yoruba Kingdom of Ketu now in Benin Republic). Herbert Macaulay's parents were children of people captured from what is now Yorubaland in Nigeria, resettled in Sierra Leone by the British West Africa Navy Squadron, and eventually returned to present day Lagos Island in Nigeria.

Ah! The fact that Josiah Doherty was originally of Ekiti descent is very interesting. I never knew that. I do know though that the "Ekiti Parapo" organization was formed on Lagos Island in the late 1800s due to the fallouts of the Kiriji War episode. Lagos Island from the population census already had a significant number of Ekitis and other Yoruba subgroups living and trading there in the 1800s.

Since the 1980s, I've read a lot of advanced history books and archival materials about the formerly enslaved Yoruba returnees from Brazil, Cuba, Sierra Leone (The very wealthy Labulo Davies was born in Sierra Leone of Yoruba parentage, served with the British Navy and got married at a Royal wedding attended by Queen Victoria in England to his first wife, a Yoruba Princess called Aina from the Egbado area now in Ogun State who was taken to England from Whydah by a British Captain and Queen Victoria adopted her. He also pioneered commercial cocoa farming in Yorubaland), United States (the two Vaughan brothers from South Carolina whose father was an Egba Prince and mother was a Native American. Both brothers returned to Africa for the first time in their lives via Liberia on their dying father's instructions), Trinidad and Tobago, and more. Most came from Oyo, Ijesa, Egba, a few Ijebus, Ketus and Bantes of Yoruba-speaking areas of Benin Republic.

It's good to know that Josiah Doherty was from Ekiti because a vast number of the Yoruba returnees of the 1800s from the Americas and Sierra Leone were majorly Oyos, Ijesas (such as the wealthy family of Candido DaRocha who returned from Bahia, Brazil), Egbas folks such as the Alakija's (returned from Bahia in Brazil and the wealthy patriarch was Sir. Adeyemo Alakija, QC, who was also the Daily Times newspaper founder. He was formerly known as Placido Assumpcao but he changed his Brazilian name to his Yoruba ethnic name when he returned from his law studies in England in the 1910s). All these folks either settled on Lagos Island OR in Abeokuta, etc, and became very wealthy international businessmen or professionals who could even afford to send their children to schools and elite Universities in England before 1900! It just blew me away. It was the triumph of human spirit that the savvy Yoruba-Sierra Leonian, Yoruba-Cuban and Yoruba-Brazilian returnees could achieve so much success within a short time frame as wealthy African Merchant princes and professionals in the Victorian era of British colonialism of Nigeria and Africa in general.

I enjoyed reading your input here.

Enjoy the rest of your day.

In his honour, the school I attended was named after him: Doherty Memorial Grammar School, Ìjerò Ekiti, founded in 1955.

I like a studious person like you.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Indigenes In North America Support Regional System Of Govt by Ikpunekenwa(m): 5:50pm On Jun 07
SonofLagos:
what do migrants from your cursed alaibo contribute, if not crime nwanne? We have called your bluff severally and asked you to return home, but you so much love your chain, that’s why your slave masters, the Yorubas wipe your head with koboko anytime the feel like with there policies and all you cry of is victimisation😂😂 and yet you still love to suffer than return to alaibo because we know, your existence or survival in tied to your Yoruba masters😂

Oga no be cho cho cho, show workings, show us what you have contributed to Nigeria, attache by force, you have been rejected by lagos people, you dey fear regional government too, my brother you are already going to where you will never know.
Re: Lagos Indigenes In North America Support Regional System Of Govt by Goodvibes007: 5:59pm On Jun 07
MightySparrow:

You get it my brother. I didn't even know this analysis. From the earliest times by Providence, people like Herbert Macaulay, Henry Karr etc started politics in Lagos. These were returnees from abroad following abolishment of slave trade. Many people have contributed to Lagos. There was a Josiah Doherty from my place in Ekiti. He became one of the most successful businessmen of his time. He was one of the three people that founded the defunct National Bank of Nigeria. People like that developed Lagos. Igbos, ikwerre, Birom, Benis... All sharpened Lagos.. where will these people go after many decades or even centuries of existence?

Where and what are the contributions of the aborigines better than others?

Besides, we are talking of regional integration, suggested and piloted by Tinubu. He tested this when he was choosing Aregbesola from Osun, Dele Alake from Ekiti, Ambode from Ogun, Ben Akabueze from Igbo land etc. We are talking about development here. If Nigerians, Ghanaians, Kenyans are now contributing to the development of host communities, at various political levels, in Europe and America, why will anybody think here in Nigeria that his contribution is being an indigene? Politics is all about influence. These indigenes should come out and put their cards on the table. No one will look for any Indigenes to field in any party. Mind you, politics carries with it a measure of greed and selflessness. It means self expression, and involves neutralizing oppositions when feasible and necessary.

My take is this: let the indigenes wake up and participate actively not to be doing nonsensical ọmọ onílè all around Lagos.

I tell you the truth, if there is going to be referendum today, are they going to call ọmọ onílè alone for it? I don't think so, all of us will participate. What percentage is this aborigines? It is like the Latin Americans in the USA. They should just wake up and be relevant politically.

Josiah Doherty is the grandfather of Funsho Doherty that contested in the last Lagos election. They are Saros. However Josiah's mother is Ekiti.

Ambode is also Ilaje even though he was born in Lagos. He is not an Ogun man.

Ps: if Nigeria breaks today, everybody will go back to their region of origin or ancestral lands.

Konquest:

Ah! The fact that Josiah Doherty was originally of Ekiti descent is very interesting. I never knew that. I do know though that the "Ekiti Parapo" organization was formed on Lagos Island in the late 1800s due to the fallouts of the Kiriji War episode. Lagos Island from the population census already had a significant number of Ekitis and other Yoruba subgroups living and trading there in the 1800s.

It's good to know that Josiah Doherty was from Ekiti because a vast number of the Yoruba returnees of the 1800s from the Americas and Sierra Leone were majorly Oyos, Ijesas (such as the wealthy family of Candido DaRocha who returned from Bahia, Brazil), Egbas folks such as the Alakija's (returned from Bahia in Brazil and the wealthy patriarch was Sir. Adeyemo Alakija, QC, who was also the Daily Times newspaper founder. He was formerly known as Placido Assumpcao but he changed his Brazilian name to his Yoruba ethnic name when he returned from his law studies in England in the 1910s). All these folks either settled on Lagos Island OR in Abeokuta, etc, and became very wealthy international businessmen or professionals who could even afford to send their children to schools and elite Universities in England before 1900! It just blew me away. It was the triumph of human spirit that the savvy Yoruba-Sierra Leonian, Yoruba-Cuban and Yoruba-Brazilian returnees could achieve so much success within a short time frame as wealthy African Merchant princes and professionals in the Victorian era of British colonialism of Nigeria and Africa in general.

I enjoyed reading your input here.
Josiah Doherty is not originally from Ekiti. He is only maternally related to Ekiti. His mother, Helena Fatoregun, is from a royal family in Ekiti.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Indigenes In North America Support Regional System Of Govt by MightySparrow: 6:29pm On Jun 07
Goodvibes007:

Josiah Doherty is the grandfather of Funsho Doherty that contested in the last Lagos election. They are Saros. However Josiah's mother is Ekiti.

Ps: if Nigeria breaks today, everybody will go back to their region of origin or ancestral lands.

Josiah Doherty is not originally from Ekiti. He is only maternally related to Ekiti. His mother, Helena Fatoregun, is from a royal family in Ekiti.

Yeah, you get it. The Dohertys may likely be of ẹgba paternity.The mother Princess Helena Fatiregun Doherty was from Ekiti. Now the Dohertys are used to Ekiti than any other place. The mother became a missionary and brought Anglican church to Ekiti. She is a name in Ekiti anglikani church. She influenced her children in her work for her Lord and development of her place.

My father and my maternal grandfather were her disciples.. Bless her soul.

When you hear names like obasa, three places I know bear such names: Ìfẹ, Ado -Ekiti,and ìjerò. It has a connection with Ọbàlùfọ̀n, the deified Ife King. Wherever ọbàlùfọ̀n is worshipped, such names come out for their males and Aye for their females.

So Mudasiru Obasa may be from any of these places.

Can you see that aborigines are asking for complicated stuff.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Indigenes In North America Support Regional System Of Govt by PHAYOL81: 9:28pm On Jun 07
Yet one unknown ADENIJI ADELE said he was speaking for everyone by denying his YORUBA root, eventhough there is a huge possibility that one of his parents or that of his cousins, uncle, aunt, niece, nephew etc.is a full blooded YORUBA. Talk of a faceless idiottt.
Re: Lagos Indigenes In North America Support Regional System Of Govt by flokii: 12:02am On Jun 08
It's Yorubas that allowed the rubbish.. right from the time of Zik, the Igbos have been covetous of Lagos and they made attempt to invade the West during civil war to annex Lagos as part of biafra territory but met their waterloo at Ore where scores of biafran soldiers were killed.
They call a State in the SW no man's land but want to lay claim to Abia, Anambra, Enugu and likes as Igbo land.. Na dem get sense pass.

They carry anything South West or Yoruba on their head like gala and are quick to run mouth cho cho cho on issues that do not concern them.. whenever they see anything that concerns their region, they keep quiet and pretend to be mute.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Indigenes In North America Support Regional System Of Govt by ariesbull: 8:34am On Jun 08
raskymonojendor:

If only you know how much an average Awori man hates GRV. Even his fellow Saros hate him. 😂

Anyway, just as I have been inviting others, you are also welcome to a space we are holding tonight at 8pm. Follow Baba Awori on twitter.
I know well ..Awori doesn't hate him cos he has never had a leadership role

So tell me something else
Re: Lagos Indigenes In North America Support Regional System Of Govt by ariesbull: 8:36am On Jun 08
flokii:
It's Yorubas that allowed the rubbish.. right from the time of Zik, the Igbos have been covetous of Lagos and they made attempt to invade the West during civil war to annex Lagos as part of biafra territory but met their waterloo at Ore where scores of biafran soldiers were killed.
They call a State in the SW no man's land but want to lay claim to Abia, Anambra, Enugu and likes as Igbo land.. Na dem get sense pass.

They carry anything South West or Yoruba on their head like gala and are quick to run mouth cho cho cho on issues that do not concern them.. whenever they see anything that concerns their region, they keep quiet and pretend to be mute.
when Igbo wanted biafra ans left Nigeria why didn't they expel then but it was the stupid Awolowo that follow bring them back

Now you have the opportunity to expel Igbo . Another Yoruba president Tinubu is keeping NNAMDI KANU

Wetin Una wants ...don't worry Lagos will be shared by all Nigerian tribes ! Hausa owns Obalende, Ketu, Mile 12, Idi Araba etc
Re: Lagos Indigenes In North America Support Regional System Of Govt by athaboi(f): 8:46am On Jun 08
SonofLagos:
grin Oloriburuku, you should take the lead, if you have not inherited the cowardly japa method like your ancestors Ojukwu Keep setting your tribe up for destruction, when they descend on you now, you will start crying victimisation and hatred cool
you son of a harlot.... keep fooling around like your dirty mother
Re: Lagos Indigenes In North America Support Regional System Of Govt by BentizilL0: 10:46am On Jun 08
athaboi:
Lol 😂, Yoruba Muslim from osun state..oya stop crying, nobody will take Lagos away from you ok...oya go play outside 🤣
And you expect me to reply you?
I pity you.
Re: Lagos Indigenes In North America Support Regional System Of Govt by ArcSEMPECJ(m): 12:15pm On Jun 08
SonofLagos:
grin nwanne, is any of your 5 plot of cursed land has developed has Ibadan? The whole of oyo state is almost the size of your cursed region but yet you isonu deveropers😂 can’t even boast of a cosmopolitan city like Ibadan, a city of many first, but shame no go let you see clearly because your headache is obodo ragos grin in far away yorubaland..I pray you finally have some sense😂😂

Cho Cho Cho DNA people , the same was told to your TINIBU..... remember he is a failure and he is given 6days to change his mentality from thinking like a failure like you and embracing reality like IGBOS.... tongue tongue

Let me educate you .....Werey...

Ibadan is the capital of Oyo State, and most especially was the center of administration of the old western region since the days of thr colonial masters....created in 1872, by now it is supposed to be close to what South Africans , Kenyas are enjoying but the lazy brown roofs there could not allow it grow until there was influx of other tribes in Ibadan and pushed it to what it is now...

Let us do a reality check, show me a State in South West that has no Physical Structure from the Federal Government, that was grown by herself through the Indigenes there or through other Yoruba Indigenes....

Development started coming to Ibadan due to the Teaching hospital there, and few other Federal Government infrastructures....a d it came because of other tribes especially IGBOS and a bit of South South

Due to your Mumu nature, you couldn't call other villages that should be major towns and a bit of a city lifestyle in Oyo state, and they happen to be called villages because there is no evidence of other tribes coming to rescue the lazy brown roofs there....

Okeho, Saki, Lanlate, Eruwa, Ilora ,Kisi, Ogbomoso etc are so backwards that you still begin to ask yourself why is Ibadan becoming a city but these villages that should be major towns are so backward that some don't have electricity...

Ok let's leave South West for now, can you show me any other State in Nigeria where you have evidence of Yorubas occupying a section of their land and developing the place......NONE

Even the North you claim you love so much for , what have Yorubas offered as development to the North?

Tell me a place in the Northern States where you can say Yorubas are settlers there amd have made huge developments there.....NONE

What of South East .....NONE

What of South South .....NONE.....

So I still stand to say that Lagos State was so unlucky and unfortunate to be found in the Yoruba axis, if it was to be in South East or South South even some parts of North, Lagos State will be competing with the likes of great cities in Africa ...
Re: Lagos Indigenes In North America Support Regional System Of Govt by ArcSEMPECJ(m): 12:34pm On Jun 08
SonofLagos:
I know your ego has been bruised grin after bursting your lies nwachukwu….instead of you to counter the Fact I just put on the table, but I guess you have nothing sensible to say about that. You should get yourself some education because I can see you lack education. You don’t even know the difference between military rule and a democratic rule, that why you can come online to disgrace your linage on the internet….shame is really far from you😂🤣😂

When we begin to bring our certificates I know your own will be lost like the excuse of your lord and personal saviour...who lost hia own when he went to see Abacha but met prostitutes instead .....

Like I said, go back to my statements or comment and know if there is anything you will understand....

If the Military rule was the only point you could pick , then you have a deep case before your integrity to work on....

The point I made there was that an IGBO man was once a Governor of Lagos State, whether during Military or Democracy, and it is true...

Do you think the Igbo Man could not have been changed to be an Hausa man, Ijaw man or any other tribes?.....Olodo
Re: Lagos Indigenes In North America Support Regional System Of Govt by SonofLagos: 4:34pm On Jun 08
ArcSEMPECJ:

When we begin to bring our certificates I know your own will be lost like the excuse of your lord and personal saviour...who lost hia own when he went to see Abacha but met prostitutes instead .....

Like I said, go back to my statements or comment and know if there is anything you will understand....

If the Military rule was the only point you could pick , then you have a deep case before your integrity to work on....

The point I made there was that an IGBO man was once a Governor of Lagos State, whether during Military or Democracy, and it is true...

Do you think the Igbo Man could not have been changed to be an Hausa man, Ijaw man or any other tribes?.....Olodo
idiat see him struggling to defend nonsense, with their usual whataboutism😂😂😂 so military rule is now to be regarded, so what about the Yoruba military administrator that was appointed too in the sad yeast state? Does that mean ibos voted for him? Your head must me paining you😂😂😂 I know your ego has been bruised because you are an illiterate, you wanted to score cheap point to brag about an ibo being a former Lagos governor, where as he was appointed a military administrator😂 why not test your might and compete in the democratic system and stand for elections in Lagos and let see if he will win any election. Shameless ibo migrant, be contented with your 5 plot of cursed land and stop coveting another man’s land, have some shame😂

1 Like

Re: Lagos Indigenes In North America Support Regional System Of Govt by SonofLagos: 4:52pm On Jun 08
ArcSEMPECJ:

Cho Cho Cho DNA people , the same was told to your TINIBU..... remember he is a failure and he is given 6days to change his mentality from thinking like a failure like you and embracing reality like IGBOS.... tongue tongue

Let me educate you .....Werey...

Ibadan is the capital of Oyo State, and most especially was the center of administration of the old western region since the days of thr colonial masters....created in 1872, by now it is supposed to be close to what South Africans , Kenyas are enjoying but the lazy brown roofs there could not allow it grow until there was influx of other tribes in Ibadan and pushed it to what it is now...

Let us do a reality check, show me a State in South West that has no Physical Structure from the Federal Government, that was grown by herself through the Indigenes there or through other Yoruba Indigenes....

Development started coming to Ibadan due to the Teaching hospital there, and few other Federal Government infrastructures....a d it came because of other tribes especially IGBOS and a bit of South South
[color=#990000][/color]
Due to your Mumu nature, you couldn't call other villages that should be major towns and a bit of a city lifestyle in Oyo state, and they happen to be called villages because there is no evidence of other tribes coming to rescue the lazy brown roofs there....

Okeho, Saki, Lanlate, Eruwa, Ilora ,Kisi, Ogbomoso etc are so backwards that you still begin to ask yourself why is Ibadan becoming a city but these villages that should be major towns are so backward that some don't have electricity...

Ok let's leave South West for now, can you show me any other State in Nigeria where you have evidence of Yorubas occupying a section of their land and developing the place......NONE

Even the North you claim you love so much for , what have Yorubas offered as development to the North?

Tell me a place in the Northern States where you can say Yorubas are settlers there amd have made huge developments there.....NONE

What of South East .....NONE

What of South South .....NONE.....

So I still stand to say that Lagos State was so unlucky and unfortunate to be found in the Yoruba axis, if it was to be in South East or South South even some parts of North, Lagos State will be competing with the likes of great cities in Africa ...

hahaha see this shameless clown. I don’t even have time to read your long piece of garbage, but the coloured line took my interest. So it’s not only obodo ragos that was developed by ibo, now you also claiming to develop ibadan😂😂 I thought your deluded blodas claimed ibos only travel to ragos? Honestly you lack shame.

I though ragos was the only developed part of Sw according to you shameless fool, now that I compare you cursed region with Ibadan you now talking about how FG and other migrant where responsible for the development, so I guess it was FG and ibos that built the cocoa house, the first tv station, first stadium e.t.c now you can see you are not making sense and beside was Enugu not also the regional capital of sad yeast? So why is it not on the same level has Ibadan in term of development, or were you idiots cursed not to develop your barren land but other peoples land?

Nwachukwu Yoruba land is miles ahead of your barren region, Ogun state alone is more industrialised than your entire region and Sw aside Lagos is the economic hub of this country that’s your your cursed blodas jump on night buses everyday to escape that barren region, so please no your level grin your region is still the least developed region of the south and the least in revenues generation so you don’t have the bragging right to even chest beat😂😂

1 Like

Re: Lagos Indigenes In North America Support Regional System Of Govt by NaMe4: 5:45am On Jun 09
ArcSEMPECJ:
Lagos State is a no man's land, because I can't see how TINUBU who is an Osun state man by birth can come to Lagos State and colonise the whole place as if he is a white man against the slaves of Yoruba land.....

Moreso, why did we have an IGBO man as a one time Governor of Lagos State?

And again , why are Lagos Indigenes sidelined in the affairs of Lagos State, which makes the inscription that Lagos is a no man's land really true....

I can only say that Lagos State happens to be unlucky or unfortunate to be found in Yoruba axis but was left to grow by different people....

Because when one goes to Ekiti, Osun, KWARA , Ondo, Ogun State, even some parts of OYO state, one will see the true definition of how Yoruba land and settlement patterns are compared to what is seen in Lagos state....

Inshort the historical background of Yoruba people and the maintenance of the culture can't be found solely in Lagos State.....but in Ekiti , Osun etc

Rear Admiral Ndubuisi Godwin Kanu, was a Military Administrator of Lagos over the period of one year (1977 to 1978).

Equally, Adewunmi Agbaje was Military Administrator of Enugu.

From your submission, it's safe to call Enugu 'No man's land'.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Indigenes In North America Support Regional System Of Govt by Konquest: 1:09pm On Jun 10
Goodvibes007:

~~~~~~~~

@Goodvibes007,

Indeed, thanks for the heads-up on the Ijero-Ekiti maternal ancestry of Helena Fatoregun, the mother of Josiah Henryson Doherty. After I did some further advanced data mining or research, I cracked the code and found out that Josiah Henryson Doherty's father (Henry Ifabiyi Doherty) was born circa 1829, and is actually an indigene of Ilaro in the present-day Ogun State from where he was taken captive as a kid and deported with others on a slave schooner heading for the Americas. As the universe would have it, the slave schooner got intercepted by the British Navy Squadron off the coast of West Africa and the captives on board were rescued and taken to Freetown, Sierra Leone. He (Ifabiyi) and Helena got married in Waterloo in Sierra Leone, before finally returning to Yorubaland (Lagos Island) like most Yoruba returnees of the 1800s from Brazil, Cuba, the U.S., Trinidad and Tobago, etc, did before some finally headed into the Yorubaland interior to trace their family members where most of them came from.

Here are two Weblinks that would be of interest to you on the genealogy of the Doherty Family descendants who are originally from a royal paternal lineage in Ilaro in Ogun State with a direct Ijero-Ekiti matriach:

=>https://www.geni.com/people/Oga-Josiah-Henryson-Doherty/6000000008859978007

Henry (Ifabiyi) Doherty
Also Known As: "Baba Oko"
Birthdate: circa 1829
Birthplace: IIaro, Nigeria
Death:

Immediate Family:
Son of Laikan and Laikan's wife
Husband of Helena Ariwoola Fatoregun
Father of Oga Josiah Henryson Doherty

2]https://vickieremoe.com/blog/2019/3/14/the-story-of-us-a-quest-family

All the best.

Cc: @MightySparrow
Re: Lagos Indigenes In North America Support Regional System Of Govt by Konquest: 1:10pm On Jun 10
MightySparrow:

In his honour, the school I attended was named after him: Doherty Memorial Grammar School, Ìjerò Ekiti, founded in 1955.

I like a studious person like you.
@MightySparrow,

I already copied you on another longer post on this thread.

Reading those Weblinks below revealed a very moving story on genealogy and the triumph of the human spirit! I have you and the Internet to further thank for unlocking one aspect of a Yoruba (Saro) family genealogy for me despite my decades of research on the family genealogy of some of the brave returnees of Yoruba descent... Many of whom were even from aristocratic families and members of Yoruba royal families (Such as the former Emperor of the Oyo Empire, Alafin Abiodun) who found their circumstances change all of a sudden and got deported on slave schooners headed for Cuba, Brazil, U.S., Trinidad, Guyana, etc.

Here are two Weblinks that would be of interest to you on the genealogy of the Doherty Family descendants who are originally from a royal Ilaro in Ogun State paternal lineage with a direct Ijero-Ekiti matriach:

=>https://www.geni.com/people/Oga-Josiah-Henryson-Doherty/6000000008859978007

=>https://vickieremoe.com/blog/2019/3/14/the-story-of-us-a-quest-family

The Doherty family of course claim naturalized indigeneship of Lagos Island, Lagos State like a lot of descendants of Yoruba returnees from after plantation slavery ended in the Caribbean, North, Central, and South America in the 1800s.

Have a great week ahead.

All the best.
Re: Lagos Indigenes In North America Support Regional System Of Govt by Konquest: 1:42pm On Jun 10
MightySparrow:

Yeah, you get it. The Dohertys may likely be of ẹgba paternity.The mother Princess Helena Fatiregun Doherty was from Ekiti. Now the Dohertys are used to Ekiti than any other place. The mother became a missionary and brought Anglican church to Ekiti. She is a name in Ekiti anglikani church. She influenced her children in her work for her Lord and development of her place.

My father and my maternal grandfather were her disciples.. Bless her soul.

When you hear names like obasa, three places I know bear such names: Ìfẹ, Ado -Ekiti,and ìjerò. It has a connection with Ọbàlùfọ̀n, the deified Ife King. Wherever ọbàlùfọ̀n is worshipped, such names come out for their males and Aye for their females.

So Mudasiru Obasa may be from any of these places.

Can you see that aborigines are asking for complicated stuff.
Those are interesting summations there.
Well, we now have ironclad proof that Ifabiyi Doherty (Baba Oko) was from Ilaro and his wife Helena Fatoregun was from Ijero-Ekiti. Both of them were of royal family descent and both got married to each other in Waterloo, Sierra Leone.

It means that Helena Fatoregun, the biological mother of Josiah Henryson Doherty was also deported on a slave schooner but was fortunately rescued by the British Navy Squadron and resettled in Sierra Leone.

Slightly over 100,000 Africans from different ethnicities were rescued from slave schooners by the British Navy Squadrons off the coast of West Africa. That, I must commend the British for doing, although not all the slave schooners were intercepted on their journey to the Americas in the 1800s. We would not have an Ajayi Crowther or a Herbert Macaulay (Ajayi Crowther's grandson from one of his daughters) if the Brits had not spent time and resources to abolish plantation slavery and rescued Africans on those infamous slave schooners.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

National Assembly Reject Request For Budget Breakdown – Picture / 2023: Tinubu Promotes Excellence, Capable Of Becoming President - Magnus Abe / PDP Crisis: Wike, Atiku’s Men Disagree Over Iyorchia Ayu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 108
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.