Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,181,810 members, 7,915,306 topics. Date: Thursday, 08 August 2024 at 08:35 PM

Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo In One Country? It Was Never Going To Work - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo In One Country? It Was Never Going To Work (2039 Views)

These Are US Citizens. Let Us Fight For Our Country. It's Not Easy Anywhere. / We Were Never One Country - Bukola Saraki / President Buhari Wears Igbo, Yoruba & Hausa Attires As He Accepts APC Ticket (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo In One Country? It Was Never Going To Work by ElSudani: 9:15am On Jun 21
EbinPawaGovt:

Ironsi did not. Gowon did. Even if he did, why have you not reversed what one man did after 60 years? Because you love it or you're too intellectually lazy to try.

Once again, decree 34 of 1966 issued by Ironsi and agreed to by Ojukwu who later decided to go to war to get back some of powers he willingly gave away. Weird logic

6 Likes

Re: Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo In One Country? It Was Never Going To Work by flokii: 9:17am On Jun 21
Zik because of greed and evil Igbo domination agenda over all other ethnic groups fought tooth and nail to see that secession clause wasn't added to our constitution.. the first betrayer of Nigerians collective decision to have secession clause enshrined in our constitution to allow peaceful exit of any ethnic group from Nigeria was Nnamdi Azikiwe with support of his Igbo kiths and kins who wanted indivisible union and unity by force.

They had agenda that they were nursing right from pre-independence era which is reason Azikiwe an Igbo man fought Awolowo over Premiership position in Western region when Igbos reserved their own Premiership of Eastern region strictly for the Igbos. An Igbo wanted to be political ruler over Yorubas in Western region when prominent Yorubas like Awolowo were alive.
Will Igbos ever allow a Yoruba man be boss over them in Igboland?.. Your guess is as good as mine.

10 Likes

Re: Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo In One Country? It Was Never Going To Work by Zxcvbnmghtr: 9:18am On Jun 21
jumpandpas:

There's a clouse in that arrangement that if the union didn't work after 100yrs, there shall be a referendum to decide if all the tribes wants to continue.

This is what MNK is fighting for but some criminal politicians won't consent to it.

Criminal politicians from the East. Let's be clear.

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo In One Country? It Was Never Going To Work by AlexBells(m): 9:18am On Jun 21
Peterobiisathie:
Nnamdi Azikiwe will never rest well
You that’s alive is not even resting but blaming a man in heaven
Re: Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo In One Country? It Was Never Going To Work by ElSudani: 9:19am On Jun 21
DMerciful:
What is federalism?

Secondly, what specific date or month did Ironsi unify the civil service?

Thirdly, what month was Ironsi killed

Lastly, when were the 12 states created?

What type of dumb questions are these? I could answer these questions by the time I was 10 years old. They are completely irrelevant to what is being discussed. How old are you?

8 Likes

Re: Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo In One Country? It Was Never Going To Work by jumpandpas(m): 9:19am On Jun 21
Zxcvbnmghtr:

Criminal politicians from the East. Let's be clear.

When an idiot posts, we know.
Re: Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo In One Country? It Was Never Going To Work by Offpointng: 9:24am On Jun 21
EbinPawaGovt:

US is a migrants country. They are people who came from Europe to seek a better future, so to a large extent, they had a common goal. That's why they are successful unlike Nigeria, where the Yoruba interest (crude oil and gas from SE and SS), Northern interest (crude oil from SE and SS) and Eastern interest ( a different country) \, Southern minority interest (a large share from their crude oil) collide.

SE Crude oil and Gas rubbish. What Crude oil did the SE got? even this Gas you're talking bout, it's just in the process of getting tapped. SE have never been carrying this country one bit

4 Likes

Re: Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo In One Country? It Was Never Going To Work by Zxcvbnmghtr: 9:24am On Jun 21
jumpandpas:

When an idiot posts, we know.

You don't want to take responsibility. Your politicians are not fighting for Biafra but for themselves. You mentioned Nnamdi Kanu, and I pointed to the politicians from his extraction helping you to identify them as criminals which you gladly made. TAKE A LOOK AT PETER OBI WHAT IS HE FIGHTING FOR.

5 Likes

Re: Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo In One Country? It Was Never Going To Work by phorget(m): 9:27am On Jun 21
Zxcvbnmghtr:
grin Awolowo knew this and kicked against it.
Sardauna knew this and kicked against it.
Only Azikiwe lobbied for this union. grin grin grin

And Ojukwu realizing Azikiwe's mistake also fought for the breakup but what happened afterwards, you wont let go but here you are still holding on to what suits your narrative. Nnamdi Kanu has been in the locks for fighting separation, Simon Ekpa is still on same course but I'm sure your Azikiwe's story is just the best.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo In One Country? It Was Never Going To Work by SoNature(m): 9:30am On Jun 21
ElSudani:
This is why the British and our founding fathers in their wisdom chose a constitution which allowed some autonomy for each of the regions.
Unfortunately, some people for some reasons that are still not clear decided to abolish it by force.

If I was Aguiyi-Ironsi, I would do exactly what he did. He needed to have a strong grip of the union and took that step. Yet, they still killed him.

If you were a reasonable person, you should have been asking why his successors didn't take things to the status quo ante.

Understandably, a typical BATerian is brainless. Little wonder they hail the oldie who is destroying Nigeria's economy while they wa.nk over everything Peter Obi does.

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo In One Country? It Was Never Going To Work by DMerciful(m): 9:32am On Jun 21
Just answer the question with civility...I'm going somewhere. I want to convince you that if you think deep, you'll know that Ironsi did not end regionalism, neither did he end resource control. He couldn't have
ElSudani:

What type of dumb questions are these? I could answer these questions by the time I was 10 years old. They are completely irrelevant to what is being discussed. How old are you?
Re: Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo In One Country? It Was Never Going To Work by gidgiddy: 9:33am On Jun 21
ElSudani:
This is why the British and our founding fathers in their wisdom chose a constitution which allowed some autonomy for each of the regions.
Unfortunately, some people for some reasons that are still not clear decided to abolish it by force.

'Nigeria we hail thee' was abolished, 'arise oh compatriots' was brought to replace it. Now that one has been abolished, 'Nigeria we hail thee' has been returned

Why do you think that old constitution has not been returned after almost 60 years?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo In One Country? It Was Never Going To Work by ElSudani: 9:33am On Jun 21
SoNature:

If I was Aguiyi-Ironsi, I would do exactly what he did. He needed to have a strong grip of the union and took that step. Yet, they still killed him.

If you were a reasonable person, you should have been asking why his successors didn't return things to the status quo.

Understandably, a typical BATerian is brainless. Little wonder they hail the oldie who is destroying Nigeria's economy while they self-service over everything Peter Obi does.

He needed to have a good grip? Why? He could have sworn in the Deputy prime minister and back him up with the military, right? No, he didn't do that cause he was greedy for power. Perhaps he was even part of the Nzeogwu coup.
The constitution he discarded was carefully negotiated and agreed to by all Nigerians.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo In One Country? It Was Never Going To Work by Zxcvbnmghtr: 9:34am On Jun 21
phorget:

And Ojukwu realizing Azikiwe's mistake also fought for the breakup but what happened afterwards, you wont let go but here you are still holding on to what suits your narrative. Nnamdi Kanu has been in the locks for fighting separation, Simon Ekpa is still on same course but I'm sure your Azikiwe's story is just the best.

Lol, you should have started with the coup and not jump into a selfish greed by Ojukwu who died chasing to be Nigeria's president and was buried in Nigeria's flag.

4 Likes

Re: Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo In One Country? It Was Never Going To Work by ElSudani: 9:40am On Jun 21
gidgiddy:

'Nigeria we hail thee' was abolished, 'arise oh compatriots' was brought to replace it. Now that one has been abolished, 'Nigeria we hail thee' has been returned

Why do you think that old constitution has not been returned after almost 60 years?

The reason is very simple. Look at this this way, you are playing football at the final and just about the final whistle you score a own goal. Will your opponent hand the trophy over to you? I don't think so.
Ironsi and by extension the Ibos scored an own goal.
The civil war was like trying to get back what was lost. The beneficiaries of that stupidity will not let go easily.

6 Likes

Re: Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo In One Country? It Was Never Going To Work by phorget(m): 9:45am On Jun 21
Zxcvbnmghtr:

Lol, you should have started with the coup and not jump into a selfish greed by Ojukwu who died chasing to be Nigeria's president and was buried in Nigeria's flag.

Same coup planned by NK that got him imprisoned right? Those people are trying to undo what Azikiwe did,could you please grant them their request without making issue out of nothing.
Re: Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo In One Country? It Was Never Going To Work by Zxcvbnmghtr: 9:49am On Jun 21
phorget:

Same coup planned by NK that got him imprisoned right? Those people are trying to undo what Azikiwe did,could you please grant them their request without making issue out of nothing.

By shedding innocent blood?

If Azikiwe was the prime minister and some Fulani Soliders teamed up to murder him and every other person that is not Fulani holding power in cold blood in the name of trying to correct Sarduana's lack of insisting on going our separate ways won't you term it as Jihad and unjustified.

4 Likes

Re: Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo In One Country? It Was Never Going To Work by gidgiddy: 9:56am On Jun 21
ElSudani:

The reason is very simple. Look at this this way, you are playing football at the final and just about the final whistle you score a own goal. Will your opponent hand the trophy over to you? I don't think so.
The civil war was like trying to get back what was lost. The beneficiaries of that stupidity will not let go easily.

Which comes back to my point, a country with three majorities cannot work because they will never be able to reconcile their differences. They say Ironsi abolished the constitution we had, those who came after him refused to reinstate it back, meaning they were just as guilty

Nigeria simply cannot work, no matter how you look at it.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo In One Country? It Was Never Going To Work by pazienza(m): 9:56am On Jun 21
ElSudani:

Which beneficiaries?
Who exactly is Nigeria existence benefiting?
Are they selling goods and services cheaper in SW and North than they are currently doing in SE?

Some of you are delululu!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo In One Country? It Was Never Going To Work by ElSudani: 9:58am On Jun 21
gidgiddy:

Which comes back to my point, a country with three majorities cannot work because the will never be able to reconcile their differences. They say Iro si abolished the constitution we had, those who came after him refused to reinstate it back, meaning they were just as guilty

We had a constitution that is similar to the current Canadian and Australian constitutions.
Take Canada for example, how is it possible for the French and the English to co exist peacefully in the same country?
I will tell you why, each has a certain degree of autonomy and one is not trying to dominate the other.
Whatever they have to do together, they do it well for the benefit of their country.

4 Likes

Re: Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo In One Country? It Was Never Going To Work by pazienza(m): 9:59am On Jun 21
gidgiddy:

Which comes back to my point, a country with three majorities cannot work because they will never be able to reconcile their differences. They say Ironsi abolished the constitution we had, those who came after him refused to reinstate it back, meaning they were just as guilty

There is no single country on earth with three ethnic groups with similar population percentage without clear cut majority that works.
None!
Switzerland is an example with Germans, Italians and French as three main, and minor Romanian .
But they solved that by running a confederation which is exactly what Ojukwu was proposing in Aburi that could have saved Nigeria.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo In One Country? It Was Never Going To Work by Peterobiisathie(f): 10:01am On Jun 21
AlexBells:
You that’s alive is not even resting but blaming a man in heaven
he is in hellfire with Coward Ojukwu

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo In One Country? It Was Never Going To Work by AlexBells(m): 10:02am On Jun 21
Peterobiisathie:
he is in hellfire with Coward Ojukwu
I love hellfire, certainly that’s my resting place now I know they both at peace
Re: Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo In One Country? It Was Never Going To Work by ElSudani: 10:04am On Jun 21
pazienza:

Which beneficiaries?
Who exactly is Nigeria existence benefiting?
Are they selling goods and services cheaper in SW and North than they are currently doing in SE?

Some of you are delululu!

You are completely naive.

4 Likes

Re: Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo In One Country? It Was Never Going To Work by pazienza(m): 10:04am On Jun 21
ElSudani:

We had a constitution that is similar to the current Canadian and Australian constitution.
Take Canada for example, how is it possible for the French and the English to co exist peacefully in the same country?

Canada and Australia are new world countries formed by European invaders on native soils.
They are united by spirit of conquest against the natives.
Your example is not tenable.

Show us an example of such country built in the old world of Asia, Africa and Europe where the natives are in charge.
Yugoslavia tore to pieces. Czechoslovakia of just two ethnic groups couldn't even survive. In Spain the Basque and Catalonians are still fighting for freedom despite being rich, especially Catalonia.
Belgium found a way to gift a degree of Autonomy to the Dutch and French natives of the land. Still they are just two groups and both are even Christians.
Contrast with Nigeria that is three with opposing religion of Christianity and Islam.

India split from Pakistan, Bangladesh split from the later.
This is how things are in the old world where the natives are in control of their land.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo In One Country? It Was Never Going To Work by pazienza(m): 10:04am On Jun 21
ElSudani:

You are completely naive.

A coward way to avoid pertinent question posed on him.
Run along.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo In One Country? It Was Never Going To Work by ElSudani: 10:06am On Jun 21
pazienza:

A coward way to avoid pertinent question posed on him.
Run along.

Some of you are just too naive. It is like trying to explain Algebra to a 3 year old.
I don't have any time for people like you.

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo In One Country? It Was Never Going To Work by yoruboid: 10:07am On Jun 21
Three largest tribes in Africa what?

Hausas are native to communities outside Nigeria
There are Yoruba towns and villages outside Nigeria

Igbos can’t be regarded as one of the largest tribes in Africa

They are only within a small space in Nigeria just about he size of Oyo State

There are at least ten tribes in Africa bigger than the Igbo tribe

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo In One Country? It Was Never Going To Work by pazienza(m): 10:08am On Jun 21
ElSudani:

Some of you are just too naive. It is like trying to explain Algebra to a 3 year old.
I don't have any time for people like you.

If you don't understand why Nigeria will never work, then a 3yr old kid has better analytical and logical reasoning than you do.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo In One Country? It Was Never Going To Work by Godons1: 10:12am On Jun 21
gidgiddy:
When you Google the 3 larget tribes in Africa, you get Hausa, Yoruba and Igbo. Each of them over 40 million strong, more than the population of most countries of the world, Ghana is just 28 million people. To find all three tribes in one country was a recipe for disaster

You can't have two captains in one ship, let alone three. And so the story of Nigeria with these three tribes has been one of suspicion, betrayal, tribalism, killings, civil wars and eternal political fighting. This won't end any time soon.

The three largest tribes in Africa, together in one country? Two would have been very difficult, three was going to be a certain disaster.
Cc
Pazienza
IGBO are not amongst the 3 largest tribes in Nigeria. After Hausa, Yoruba, Ijaw are the next in higher population. Remember, half of Abia and Imo are Ijaw. If you add Ijaws in other parts of this Country. You will realize that, Igbo are not much.

Igbo are not really much in this Country. When Census comes, Igbo count all the Tribes in the East as Igbo. That's why they are much on paper. For instance, Anambra is Igala ancestral land. Most people in Anambra are Igala. Enugu is occupied by 3 main Tribes. One part is ancestral land to Idoma, one part is ancestral land to Igala. While one part is Igbo indigenous land.

You can see that, Igbo are not even much. I am sure that Kanuri, Gbagyi, Nupe are more populated than IGBO.

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo In One Country? It Was Never Going To Work by ElSudani: 10:12am On Jun 21
pazienza:

If you don't understand why Nigeria will never work, then a 3yr old kid has better analytical and logical reasoning than you do.

Look, I believe Nigeria can work, I believe we are better off together, I believe human beings are capable of charting their own course.
But then, if Nigeria should fail due to people like you , I still have my blessed and glorious Yorubaland. And trust me, that will be a big loss for you.
For example you will need a visa to see Lagos. Hehehe.

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo In One Country? It Was Never Going To Work by pazienza(m): 10:13am On Jun 21
yoruboid:
Three largest tribes in Africa what?

Hausas are native to communities outside Nigeria
There are Yoruba towns and villages outside Nigeria

Igbos can’t be regarded as one of the largest tribes in Africa

They are only within a small space in Nigeria just about he size of Oyo State

There are at least ten tribes in Africa bigger than the Igbo tribe

Mention the ethnic group in Africa with bigger population than Ndiigbo.
The last ethnic census in Nigeria in 1921 put Igbo way ahead of Yoruba in numbers, btw.

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Help! Fashola Has Banned One Of Our Cultures: Owanbe Street Party. / 150 Billion Naira Stolen From Aso Rock / Nairalander:how Can We Move Nigeria Forward.your Opinion.

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.