Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,177,859 members, 7,902,721 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 July 2024 at 03:04 PM

Netflix Increases Subscription Price By 40% In Nigeria - TV/Movies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Netflix Increases Subscription Price By 40% In Nigeria (23501 Views)

Starlink Increases Hardware Price By 112% In Nigeria - From ₦378,000 To ₦800,000 / Multichoice Increases Subscription Rates For DSTV, Gotv Packages / Multichoice Has Implemented Its New DStv/ GOtv Subscription Price (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Netflix Increases Subscription Price By 40% In Nigeria by djseanjohn77: 1:24pm On Jul 24
foleskay:
It's the exchange rate that causing all of these. We used to subscribe for dstv premium for 10k in 2014. That' Same premium now is almost 30k

It has nothing to do with exchange rate - I pay 14.99 dollars monthly over here, when i learnt about what Nigerians pay, it sounds ridiculous. I tried switching my bank card to Nigeria card so i can use the Nigeria version, but it didn't accept it.

In the case of DSTV, it is also myopic to think of that. Even at that, supposing dollar rate was $750 when subscription was 10k, 10k would be equal to 13 dollars or let's round it up to $15. Dstv today is 30k, 30k today is 20 dollars - there is factor of additional 5-7 dollars in excess.
DStv does not spend their profits in Nigeria, and so would not be affected by Nigeria's inflation rate. However, the factors necessitating that would be diesel cost (operational cost).
However, i must also inform you that most network mast of major world network providers do not run on national grid, except for offices. MTN/SA uses diesel to power their mast. The current price of diesel fuel in South Africa is ZAR 23.13 per liter or USD 1.28 per liter based on the latest update from 08-Jul-2024. Which was why MTN/SA launched a complete reneewable system to power their stations.

Please use the sharing tools found via the share button at the top or side of articles. Copying articles to share with others is a breach of FT.com T&Cs and Copyright Policy. Email licensing@ft.com to buy additional rights. Subscribers may share up to 10 or 20 articles per month using the gift article service. More information can be found at https://www.ft.com/tour.
https://www.ft.com/content/84733a36-901e-47da-9ee7-e5abb438f0fe. There was a 280 days blackout in SA in 2023, as a result, Africa’s biggest mobile phone group MTN is to invest R1.9bn ($101mn) by the middle of the year in generators, batteries and renewable energy to cushion it against rolling power blackouts, which it fears could continue for another three years in its home market of South Africa.
Re: Netflix Increases Subscription Price By 40% In Nigeria by IAmHim1: 1:30pm On Jul 24
Hi

Could you please explain further. I love the prospect you're hinting at
Obviouslyblunt:
Lol. For you guys that pay for Netflix. I watch all my movies free and you guys that pay for Netflix don’t even get it before me or clearer than mine.
Re: Netflix Increases Subscription Price By 40% In Nigeria by GreenxGreen: 1:32pm On Jul 24
Do you blame them ? 😔
Re: Netflix Increases Subscription Price By 40% In Nigeria by ecomalchemistt(m): 1:33pm On Jul 24
Na una sabi that one
Re: Netflix Increases Subscription Price By 40% In Nigeria by IAmHim1: 1:33pm On Jul 24
Smart analysis!

I like this
Blitzking:

All these is data driven...dem Don see say their customer base increase...them use business analytics pick trend link am to dstv loosing subscribers this one ginger them to increase price.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Netflix Increases Subscription Price By 40% In Nigeria by Mexyz(m): 1:37pm On Jul 24
As if I knew they were going to increase it, I paused my account yesterday evening because they would have deducted the new rate from my bank account this morning/last midnight.
Subscribed last month and not once did I watch it through out the month.

For those without money to subscribe, you can go download 'Hitv' on Google Playstore and thank me later.
Though you have to spare 15-30secs for advert for every movie you intend watching unless you do their VIP sub.

3 Likes

Re: Netflix Increases Subscription Price By 40% In Nigeria by Owolabi97(m): 1:39pm On Jul 24
Obviouslyblunt:
I no ever get strength to argue. Just a tip on my phone, not android box yet o.
Name of the app
Re: Netflix Increases Subscription Price By 40% In Nigeria by allthingsgood: 1:40pm On Jul 24
Didijiji:
Cost of everything is just rising because ONE STUPID GOVERNMENT is in power

Very USELESS government led by scammers who claim to have built Lagos, a former capital of Nigeria

All you guys do is insult and throw tantrums. No reasonable comment or solution

2 Likes

Re: Netflix Increases Subscription Price By 40% In Nigeria by XY01: 1:40pm On Jul 24
Obviouslyblunt:

Senior man..help boys with this update
Re: Netflix Increases Subscription Price By 40% In Nigeria by airsaylongcome: 1:45pm On Jul 24
Obviouslyblunt:
download?

Worse if you stream dem from pirated sources.
Re: Netflix Increases Subscription Price By 40% In Nigeria by comodo: 1:45pm On Jul 24
Obviouslyblunt:
No mind that guy. I watch it free with my android. I even have Adult section in mine self. Is it not Netflix again.?
I can even cast to my TV if I want.

1 Like

Re: Netflix Increases Subscription Price By 40% In Nigeria by comrChris(m): 1:46pm On Jul 24
Paying such amount when you still need data to use it is ridiculous

1 Like

Re: Netflix Increases Subscription Price By 40% In Nigeria by airsaylongcome: 1:48pm On Jul 24
Obviouslyblunt:

Lol! Na this Plex derivative na hin be your "free"? I can't laugh abeg. Yeah your personal data has been compromised for sure. That's what you are paying with. That and your device been a part of a botnet. Like I said previously, nothing is free. You pay with your money or your personal data/device
Re: Netflix Increases Subscription Price By 40% In Nigeria by Meteng: 1:50pm On Jul 24
bobbiiee:
Well done. Many new movies are on telegram. Those that cant afford the the new rate can go for lower sub. Iptv may be a good option. 7k for something I may not watch more than 3 times in a week.
Abro, abeg, how do you access movies on telegram
Re: Netflix Increases Subscription Price By 40% In Nigeria by erico2k2(m): 1:50pm On Jul 24
Re: Netflix Increases Subscription Price By 40% In Nigeria by killuminati(m): 1:51pm On Jul 24
If I pay again make I bend
Re: Netflix Increases Subscription Price By 40% In Nigeria by tiswell(m): 1:52pm On Jul 24
MuMuOnBail:
Na wa ooo

They should increase it by 200% angry

Netflix and all those satellite TV stations are making Nigerians youths, mostly the ladies now very jobless.

Imagine a lady I brought home to spend the weekend with me, spent the whole weekend watching Netflix, E!, Zee-world and those rubbish telemundo channels. She was even confused while switching channels because she just wanted to watch everything. She was just switching channels every 2 minutes.

This big a*ss Idoma Gwarimpa girl, left everything for my House help and house cook to do during the day, And was so f*cking lazy during our Straffing moment, She could'nt even suck my Balls properly angry angry

I am missing my favourite side Chick Ijeoma cry cry
Ijeoma I miss you alot cry cry cry
Ijeoma if you don't return back to Abuja on Friday, I will travel to Imo and bring you back myself or I will hire herdsmen to kidnap you and bring to me cry cry cry

PLEASE COME BACK, BIG DADDY IS MISSING YOU

You really are a clo.wn.

2 Likes

Re: Netflix Increases Subscription Price By 40% In Nigeria by erico2k2(m): 1:52pm On Jul 24
BABANGBALI:
liar
people watch more for free
Re: Netflix Increases Subscription Price By 40% In Nigeria by airsaylongcome: 1:52pm On Jul 24
djseanjohn77:

Nigeria's subscription is still the cheapest. I pay 14.99 dollars monthly over here.

Different pricing for different content. There's a lot of content you get on the US Netflix that's not available to us here in Naija. Plus the US content is bigger and more expensive to produce vs Nigeria content where an entire movie can be shot in 3 days

4 Likes

Re: Netflix Increases Subscription Price By 40% In Nigeria by airsaylongcome: 1:53pm On Jul 24
erico2k2:

This is cheap if its same content as we do in the west

It isn't. Content is mostly Geo-restricted

4 Likes

Re: Netflix Increases Subscription Price By 40% In Nigeria by dkidd: 1:54pm On Jul 24
Amazon prime is way better and even cheaper. Has better options that netflix. Netflix na just name

3 Likes

Re: Netflix Increases Subscription Price By 40% In Nigeria by airsaylongcome: 1:55pm On Jul 24
comodo:

No mind that guy. I watch it free with my android. I even have Adult section in mine self. Is it not Netflix again.?
I can even cast to my TV if I want.

This isn't Netflix. It's a pirate streaming stolen content from all the online content providers. And trust me, you are not watching it for free. You are definitely paying either with your device and/or your personal data. We don run these IPTV style content stealing before. Look up Plex.tv, emby and Jellyfin. They are the basis of this your app that is streaming stolen content

4 Likes

Re: Netflix Increases Subscription Price By 40% In Nigeria by GenghisCan(m): 1:57pm On Jul 24
Obviouslyblunt:

How please?
Re: Netflix Increases Subscription Price By 40% In Nigeria by erico2k2(m): 1:57pm On Jul 24
airsaylongcome:

It isn't. Content is mostly Geo-restricted
well like the movies?
Re: Netflix Increases Subscription Price By 40% In Nigeria by Didijiji: 1:57pm On Jul 24
allthingsgood:

All you guys do is insult and throw tantrums. No reasonable comment or solution
Shebi the same eediots we’re proffering solutions to GEJ in 2012. One even said fixing power in 6 months is not rocket science but became minister of darkness

1 Like

Re: Netflix Increases Subscription Price By 40% In Nigeria by erico2k2(m): 1:58pm On Jul 24
airsaylongcome:

This isn't Netflix. It's a pirate streaming stolen content from all the online content providers. And trust me, you are not watching it for free. You are definitely paying either with your device and/or your personal data. We don run these IPTV style content stealing before. Look up Plex.tv, emby and Jellyfin. They are the basis of this your app that is streaming stolen content
I think you ned to research more!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Netflix Increases Subscription Price By 40% In Nigeria by airsaylongcome: 1:59pm On Jul 24
erico2k2:

I think you ned to research more!

Lol....I don't. I'm good fam. Can host my own and watch exactly what I want. On my own servers
Re: Netflix Increases Subscription Price By 40% In Nigeria by comodo: 2:00pm On Jul 24
airsaylongcome:

Its an online content so data is required in the first place. But subscriptions, hell no. Paying with my device?? Nope ,its an empty device. To add more these are other contents

1 Like

Re: Netflix Increases Subscription Price By 40% In Nigeria by Obviouslyblunt: 2:01pm On Jul 24
airsaylongcome:

Lol! Na this Plex derivative na hin be your "free"? I can't laugh abeg. Yeah your personal data has been compromised for sure. That's what you are paying with. That and your device been a part of a botnet. Like I said previously, nothing is free. You pay with your money or your personal data/device
lmao. An ipa I built from GitHub and side-loaded myself? Botnet indeed.

2 Likes

Re: Netflix Increases Subscription Price By 40% In Nigeria by allthingsgood: 2:03pm On Jul 24
Didijiji:
Shebi the same eediots we’re proffering solutions to GEJ in 2012. One even said fixing power in 6 months is not rocket science but became minister of darkness

Drink icewater and be calming down

1 Like

Re: Netflix Increases Subscription Price By 40% In Nigeria by airsaylongcome: 2:03pm On Jul 24
comodo:

Its an online content so data is required in the first place. But subscriptions, hell no. Paying with my device?? Nope ,its an empty device.

Like I said, you are paying with your device. Host a local DNS and watch how many calls to dodgy sites that the app is making

1 Like

Re: Netflix Increases Subscription Price By 40% In Nigeria by Didijiji: 2:04pm On Jul 24
allthingsgood:

Drink icewater and be calming down
we need to say it to their face. We ain’t all fools

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

When The Epic Cartoon, Voltron Made Its Debut (Throwback) / Mo Adeniran Wins The Voice UK 2017 (Photos) / Notable Female Filmmakers Calling The Shots

Viewing this topic: 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.