Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,177,858 members, 7,902,717 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 July 2024 at 03:01 PM

Netflix Increases Subscription Price By 40% In Nigeria - TV/Movies (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Netflix Increases Subscription Price By 40% In Nigeria (23498 Views)

Starlink Increases Hardware Price By 112% In Nigeria - From ₦378,000 To ₦800,000 / Multichoice Increases Subscription Rates For DSTV, Gotv Packages / Multichoice Has Implemented Its New DStv/ GOtv Subscription Price (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Netflix Increases Subscription Price By 40% In Nigeria by Rexnegro(m): 3:41pm On Jul 24
Obviouslyblunt:
Lol. For you guys that pay for Netflix. I watch all my movies free and you guys that pay for Netflix don’t even get it before me or clearer than mine.
Me I no kukuma dey rush when e come out clear I go jejely download am and watch, na the same movie even if I watch am 10years after

2 Likes

Re: Netflix Increases Subscription Price By 40% In Nigeria by GentleBosss: 3:42pm On Jul 24
That's why you need IPTV with there Video on demand. With over 70k movies and more on update 🙂 holla if you need IPTV

Re: Netflix Increases Subscription Price By 40% In Nigeria by airsaylongcome: 3:44pm On Jul 24
erico2k2:

Not everyone pays for data, some get it free at work or in public places like PHC and ABJ International Airport

Externalizing costs does not make it free bro. Someone always pays. Nothing is free. Plus Netflix for me is suppose to be watched at home, on a large screen while chilling. Not on a phone at work or an office. But I guess, to each his own. I prefer to watch 1080p H256 codec or outright 4k.

1 Like

Re: Netflix Increases Subscription Price By 40% In Nigeria by Nodogragra4me(m): 3:50pm On Jul 24
RepoMan007:
Who watches films on Netflix if not the fast n furious earners?

Dstv is now aggressively promoting showmax through road walks..... They gave me flier yesterday.... Cheapest is something 1200 or so...

Me, I have iptv on my phone..
Don't need any other subscription

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Netflix Increases Subscription Price By 40% In Nigeria by Karleb(m): 3:51pm On Jul 24
airsaylongcome:

Yeah, Brave browser seems to be dealing with YouTube ads fairly well at the moment. They (Brave) have been dodgy in the past so I'm personally wary of them. I agree that Google and big tech collect personal data. Which would you prefer, a known Big tech collecting your personal data, or an unknown rogue collecting that same data?

Honestly, the latter.

The devil you know is better than the angel you don't know. cheesy

Personally, I'd rather be betrayed by someone I don't trust.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Netflix Increases Subscription Price By 40% In Nigeria by Obviouslyblunt: 4:11pm On Jul 24
airsaylongcome:

I am not being a downer. I just don't agree when more technically knowledgeable people like you, belittle other non technical people that they are "fools" for subscribing to services like Netflix when then can get it for "free". Are you willing to go round everyone's routers setting up free streaming for the Netflix users being denigrated for subscribing? I host with Jellyfin (I didn't like stremio as its development is very slow). Source my content from all the regular dodgy places. I'm not going to go around screaming that I watch Netflix content for free when I know I'm actually paying with data combing the Internet for content sources
the less tech knowledgeable people can get their stuffs from TFPDL and other free websites that host tons of movies. Before Netflix, we all in Nigeria used O2tvseries and many more, so I don’t see why I’ll pay Netflix 8000 naira monthly coupled with the 38k I pay for data to watch movies, and in turn Netflix only thinks about turning more profit. If one doesn’t care about all this, get an android box and install lots of free movie apps or IPTV. Options are available and endless. And yes Jellyfin is good too.

Even on Netflix your data is tracked and stored and sold.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Netflix Increases Subscription Price By 40% In Nigeria by airsaylongcome: 4:12pm On Jul 24
Karleb:

Honestly, the latter.

I don't trust either of them. But if I had to choose, I'd rather surrender my data to a known Big tech cos I go fit follow up with lawsuit (I pray make I fit Sue Google o lol). But I'd rather have Google pawning my data than some unknown developer/hacker from Tajikistan having that data.
Re: Netflix Increases Subscription Price By 40% In Nigeria by Obviouslyblunt: 4:13pm On Jul 24
Karleb:

Honestly, the latter.

you can use Firefox and Ublock origin adblocker, bye bye 90% of ADs on any website and bye bye 100% of ADs on YouTube.
Re: Netflix Increases Subscription Price By 40% In Nigeria by Starzo: 4:14pm On Jul 24
Nodogragra4me:

Dstv is now aggressively promoting showmax through road walks..... They gave me flier yesterday.... Cheapest is something 1200 or so...

Me, I have iptv on my phone..
Don't need any other subscription

Which app you dey use?
Re: Netflix Increases Subscription Price By 40% In Nigeria by airsaylongcome: 4:14pm On Jul 24
Obviouslyblunt:
the less tech knowledgeable people can get their stuffs from TFPDL and other free websites that host tons of movies. Before Netflix, we all in Nigeria used O2tvseries and many more, so I don’t see why I’ll pay Netflix 8000 naira monthly coupled with the 38k I pay for data to watch movies, and in turn Netflix only thinks about turning more profit. If one doesn’t care about all this, get an android box and install lots of free movie apps or IPTV. Options are available and endless. And yes Jellyfin is good too.

Even on Netflix your data is tracked and stored and sold.

You pay 38k. I pay 170k. So personally for me, 8k is just a small inconvenience. But I still don't pay for Netflix or YouTube. That doesn't mean I will humiliate or mock anyone doing so.

"We all in Nigeria used to use O2tvseries..." Who are the"we all"? Visited that site once and say they were hosting 480p nonsense. Walked out and never went back. Plus was/is O2tvseries really free? With all the Ads and video placement?

1 Like

Re: Netflix Increases Subscription Price By 40% In Nigeria by Obviouslyblunt: 4:17pm On Jul 24
airsaylongcome:

Externalizing costs does not make it free bro. Someone always pays. Nothing is free. Plus Netflix for me is suppose to be watched at home, on a large screen while chilling. Not on a phone at work or an office. But I guess, to each his own. I prefer to watch 1080p H256 codec or outright 4k.
now I get what you mean by data, you mean data plans? I thought you meant cookies, or tracking your data. Isn’t a data plan needed for either Netflix or anything online? The “FREE” aspect means you don’t pay any streaming app to get and watch your movies.
Re: Netflix Increases Subscription Price By 40% In Nigeria by NorthernersSuck: 4:17pm On Jul 24
Toh
Re: Netflix Increases Subscription Price By 40% In Nigeria by airsaylongcome: 4:18pm On Jul 24
Obviouslyblunt:
you can use Firefox and Ublock origin adblocker, bye bye 90% of ADs on any website and bye bye 100% of ADs on YouTube.

Not with YouTube now doing server side injection of ads into the video stream. Even adguard, Sponsorblock have admitted that's a big issue. I don't think Ublock will be able to prevent server side ads.
Re: Netflix Increases Subscription Price By 40% In Nigeria by Obviouslyblunt: 4:20pm On Jul 24
airsaylongcome:

You pay 38k. I pay 170k. So personally for me, 8k is just a small inconvenience. But I still don't pay for Netflix or YouTube. That doesn't mean I will humiliate or mock anyone doing so.

"We all in Nigeria used to use O2tvseries..." Who are the"we all"? Visited that site once and say they were hosting 480p nonsense. Walked out and never went back. Plus was/is O2tvseries really free? With all the Ads and video placement?
38k is for unlimited Starlink access, so why bother myself with adding more to my bill when I can just get it for free? Yes O2tvseries was free to us back then. We had no Netflix , no streaming, nada. Even season movies sold back then were pirated from with O2tvseries or other websites like it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Netflix Increases Subscription Price By 40% In Nigeria by airsaylongcome: 4:21pm On Jul 24
Obviouslyblunt:
now I get what you mean by data, you mean data plans? I thought you meant cookies, or tracking your data. Isn’t a data plan needed for either Netflix or anything online? The “FREE” aspect means you don’t pay any streaming app to get and watch your movies.

But you do pay...one form or the other. You have been promoting Ublock. That's you "paying". Free advert for them. You run Ublock, you "pay" by the excess computing cycles your device has to run to be able to have Ublock shield out apps. Meaning device wear and tear is going up slightly. There's also the risk of virus and unwanted software being deployed on your device in return for "free content"
Re: Netflix Increases Subscription Price By 40% In Nigeria by airsaylongcome: 4:23pm On Jul 24
Obviouslyblunt:
38k is for unlimited Starlink access, so why bother myself with adding more to my bill when I can just get it for free? Yes O2tvseries was free to us back then. We had no Netflix , no streaming, nada. Even season movies sold back then were pirated from with O2tvseries or other websites like it.

Unfortunately starlink won't work for me needing a non CGNAT connection. Like I said, with all the Ads you were seeing on O2tvseries, was it really "free"?
Re: Netflix Increases Subscription Price By 40% In Nigeria by Obviouslyblunt: 4:23pm On Jul 24
airsaylongcome:

Not with YouTube now doing server side injection of ads into the video stream. Even adguard, Sponsorblock have admitted that's a big issue. I don't think Ublock will be able to prevent server side ads.

. It works perfectly here for me. Actually using it at the moment, it’s working.
Re: Netflix Increases Subscription Price By 40% In Nigeria by DLifeless1: 4:25pm On Jul 24
Obviouslyblunt:
Lol. For you guys that pay for Netflix. I watch all my movies free and you guys that pay for Netflix don’t even get it before me or clearer than mine.

And you are proud of stealing other peoples hardwork, later, you'd be praying to God to Bless you.

1 Like

Re: Netflix Increases Subscription Price By 40% In Nigeria by airsaylongcome: 4:26pm On Jul 24
Obviouslyblunt:
. It works perfectly here for me. Actually using it at the moment, it’s working.

YouTube is rolling out the feature for serverside injected ads. My account happened to be one that is currently marked for that. It's a feature that will eventually be rolled out for every account depending on the success or otherwise of that YouTube trial

https://adguard.com/en/blog/youtube-server-side-ad-insertion.html

1 Like

Re: Netflix Increases Subscription Price By 40% In Nigeria by Obviouslyblunt: 4:27pm On Jul 24
airsaylongcome:

Unfortunately starlink won't work for me needing a non CGNAT connection. Like I said, with all the Ads you were seeing on O2tvseries, was it really "free"?
I’ll admit O2 was a pain but it was free to us back then. Omo I don tire o. Thanks for the communication. ✅ I mean it in a positive way.

2 Likes

Re: Netflix Increases Subscription Price By 40% In Nigeria by Obviouslyblunt: 4:29pm On Jul 24
DLifeless1:

And you are proud of stealing other peoples hardwork, later, you'd be praying to God to Bless you.
no god don’t bless me. Punish me for stealing Pennies from Billion dollar cooperations that steal massively from us and dry us of every single cent.
Re: Netflix Increases Subscription Price By 40% In Nigeria by DLifeless1: 4:34pm On Jul 24
Obviouslyblunt:
no god don’t bless me. Punish me for stealing Pennies from Billion dollar cooperations that steal massively from us and dry us of every single cent.

Ok.
Re: Netflix Increases Subscription Price By 40% In Nigeria by shedy03(m): 4:34pm On Jul 24
Didijiji:
Cost of everything is just rising because ONE STUPID GOVERNMENT is in power

Very USELESS government led by scammers who claim to have built Lagos, a former capital of Nigeria
And It's simply because the government in power choose to be a puppet to IMF & world bank.

1 Like

Re: Netflix Increases Subscription Price By 40% In Nigeria by Obviouslyblunt: 4:36pm On Jul 24
DLifeless1:

Ok.
thank God you got it. Stay away.
Re: Netflix Increases Subscription Price By 40% In Nigeria by airsaylongcome: 4:36pm On Jul 24
Obviouslyblunt:
I’ll admit O2 was a pain but it was free to us back then. Omo I don tire o. Thanks for the communication. ✅ I mean it in a positive way.

Thanks for the back-and-forth too. Me I be coconut head and really enjoyed the banter. Good to see someone in the media server/video-on-demand space. Make we sha dey watch our content dey go

1 Like

Re: Netflix Increases Subscription Price By 40% In Nigeria by DLifeless1: 4:44pm On Jul 24
Obviouslyblunt:
thank God you got it. Stay away.

You are right.
Re: Netflix Increases Subscription Price By 40% In Nigeria by COMPAQ(m): 4:49pm On Jul 24
Theoarhics:
Prime is still the same price it has been since last year. Same with Amazon. Or are they not in Nigeria too?

Wait for them to increase too!!

1 Like

Re: Netflix Increases Subscription Price By 40% In Nigeria by Obierika(m): 4:55pm On Jul 24
How do people even find time to watch all these things?

2 Likes

Re: Netflix Increases Subscription Price By 40% In Nigeria by edydeyemi(m): 5:47pm On Jul 24
Obviouslyblunt:
Hi, can you please shed more light on this?
Re: Netflix Increases Subscription Price By 40% In Nigeria by wman(m): 7:36pm On Jul 24
foleskay:
It's the exchange rate that causing all of these. We used to subscribe for dstv premium for 10k in 2014. That' Same premium now is almost 30k

N37k

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

BBNaija: Biggie Issues Ike His Second Strike / When The Epic Cartoon, Voltron Made Its Debut (Throwback) / Mo Adeniran Wins The Voice UK 2017 (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.