Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,123 members, 7,887,246 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 04:09 AM

The NBA Begins - Sports (767) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / The NBA Begins (1676880 Views)

Two Nigerian Players In The NBA Finals / Miami Heats Wins The NBA Final / Unbelievable! Kobe Bryant The Nba Player Of The Decade: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (764) (765) (766) (767) (768) (769) (770) ... (2266) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 5:10am On Feb 05, 2018
A difficult decision awaits the Eagles organization. In C. Wentz they have a very good young QB who many believe was the MVP until he went down injured and now N. Foles who was terrific in the postseason, culminating in tonight's victory. This roster was built around C. Wentz but Foles took it and owned it.
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 5:21am On Feb 05, 2018
Nick Foles boy. He is crip-walking to the bank this off season. Ninjas forget this guy had a 27 touchdown and 2 interception season just 2 seasons ago

Salute to the GOAT Tom Brady tho. Threw for 500 yards and still took the L. I hope now he can retire in peace. #Done

What an epic game! Salute to Doug Pederson. Fortune favors the brave and unlike the Falcons last year he had titanium balls and kept pushing and pushing till well the last play. Going for that touchdown rather than take a Field Goal on 4th and 1 knowing fully well the Patriots get the ball to start the 2nd half just made me know the Eagles were going to win. Fly Eagles Fly

I would troll James Harrison but the Steelers did him wrong plus what he did SB XLIII I would never forget
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 5:35am On Feb 05, 2018
Roland17:
A difficult decision awaits the Eagles organization. In C. Wentz they have a very good young QB who many believe was the MVP until he went down injured and now N. Foles who was terrific in the postseason, culminating in tonight's victory. This roster was built around C. Wentz but Foles took it and owned it like it was his own.
To be fair Foles got there first. I'd leave if I were Foles though. However the difficulty is in getting the right fit. The situation is too perfect in Philly, he has arguably the best Tight End in the league not named Gronk and deep threats that can blow the roof of defenses like Smith,Jeffrey and Agholor. What team out there mirrors this? I also see elements of Chip Kelly Run Pass options in his play. Pederson knew Foles strengths and borrowed from his predecessor
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 5:39am On Feb 05, 2018
Oh and that catch by Zach Ertz. I thought New England loving refs wanted to perform another abracadabra and overturn it like they did to my boy Jesse James. Awon adigunjale!

One 5 yard penalty the entire Superbowl despite the defensive PIs the refs missed
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 5:44am On Feb 05, 2018
Ewuro4:

Brutal grin People are sick of back to back winnings. Awon beefmasters boku m’y side here , hating on the dude
Brady is the GOAT. Till the clock hit :00 all Eagles fans were in ICU. I just didn't want him to tie my team's 6 SB wins.

The refs are a tad biased to the Patriots a lot of times but Brady is Mental
Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 5:54am On Feb 05, 2018
DevdanSanguine:

United by hate, little man. United by hate.
I live in A. So just like every other ATL dudes out there, we were all happy to see Brady get a L.
Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 5:55am On Feb 05, 2018
A40:
Oh and that catch by Zach Ertz. I thought New England loving refs wanted to perform another abracadabra and overturn it like they did to my boy Jesse James. Awon adigunjale!

One 5 yard penalty the entire Superbowl despite the defensive PIs the refs missed
that's a million dollar extra bonus right there.
Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 4:22pm On Feb 05, 2018
A40:
To be fair Foles got there first. I'd leave if I were Foles though. However the difficulty is in getting the right fit. The situation is too perfect in Philly, he has arguably the best Tight End in the league not named Gronk and deep threats that can blow the roof of defenses like Smith,Jeffrey and Agholor. What team out there mirrors this? I also see elements of Chip Kelly Run Pass options in his play. Pederson knew Foles strengths and borrowed from his predecessor

Baba,
The Run Pass Option (RPO) was perfect for Foles, it gave him the freedom to explore his offense and you could see that in numerous 3rd down situations when he moved out of the pocket, running vertical sometimes before making a throw. Also, the freedom was buttressed by running the shotgun and under center snap. These situations should excite any prospective team because Foles is not limited on offense. The situation with Doug Pederson is the perfect situation for him and that is why he succeeded. That being said, I expect the Eagles to stick with Wentz so Foles can get his payday because he deserves it. How about Blount? He was offered less to stay with the Patriots which he declined, he joined the Eagles to beat the Pats for consecutive Superbowl rings.

I think Bill was punished for not starting or even featuring M. Butler. I am not sure what is going on there but Butler would have done a better job on Agholor who was unstoppable despite playing sick. Graham's sack was the highlight of the game for me because I saw it coming. Up until that time, Brady had enjoyed good protection and unlike other games, the defensive line for the Eagles were persistent, they were not tired and that let to Graham sneaking in on Brady for the strip sack.

This result is good for the NFL fans and competition.
Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 3:20am On Feb 07, 2018
Horrible shooting night and we could not defend the perimeter on defense.
Re: The NBA Begins by SmooshCHN: 3:40am On Feb 07, 2018
Wanna hear a joke

Cleveland Cavaliers
Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 3:49am On Feb 07, 2018
Guess who's next?

Re: The NBA Begins by SmooshCHN: 5:10am On Feb 07, 2018
Give the whole Warriors team pillows since they came to sleep with the slow start.
Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 5:11am On Feb 07, 2018
Westbrook is chewing McCaw or anyone guarding him at the top of pick and roll. Someone should be helping McCaw from the weak side, he getting blown by easily.

Westbrook is on a mission
Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 5:37am On Feb 07, 2018
These injuries can't be normal.
Re: The NBA Begins by SmooshCHN: 5:41am On Feb 07, 2018
Na basketball we dey play so?? undecided
Re: The NBA Begins by SmooshCHN: 5:50am On Feb 07, 2018
Donlittle:
These injuries can't be normal.
The NBA needs to reduce the regular season games..
Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 6:26am On Feb 07, 2018
SmooshCHN:
they won't, too much revenue will be lost.
Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 6:35am On Feb 07, 2018
Look at paul george trying to let these guys know he is an Allstar shocked
Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 6:48am On Feb 07, 2018
Mannn!!! The speed and power with which PG comes out of screens can only be described as "beautiful".
Re: The NBA Begins by Manutd19: 8:28am On Feb 07, 2018
How many of the main contenders has the warriors lost to now? Not like this in past seasons.
Warriors fans who would you love to avoid most between OKC and the Rockets?
Lol
Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 8:48am On Feb 07, 2018
Manutd19:
How many of the main contenders has the warriors lost to now? Not like this in past seasons.
Lol

Both the Cavs and warriors are facing stronger opposition than ever. The warriors because their opponents got better and the Cavs because they are the worst team in the league.
Re: The NBA Begins by aliondo: 9:09am On Feb 07, 2018
DevdanSanguine:

Both the Cavs and warriors are facing stronger opposition than ever. The warriors because their opponents got better and the Cavs because they are the worst team in the league.
Mehn you guys need to make a trade ASAP before trade deadline likewise us too..

But i think the Cavs are reluctant cos LBJ has not committed to the team as he keeps signing his one year deals..This may be as a result of his issues with Dan Gilbert..

I love me some J.R but i think he's been poor this season..Other shooting guards like Bradley,Hood,Evans etc are available and maybe J.Simmons too..I would also love one of these guys on my team too to cover up for Dre...

I.T and Tristan could also be traded too though some could argue that I.T should be given more time..But my main reason for I.T trade has to do more with his off court issues as they could affect team balance and unity..
Re: The NBA Begins by Decale: 4:33pm On Feb 07, 2018
Very happy OKC got that win at Oracle Arena, more impressive without Roberson, Melo and early foul troubles with Adams. I hope this can make Billy Donovan try out Melo from the bench. They're lacking in that department. One more trade should suffice too...

Later, someone will tell me role player Klay Thompson is having a better or on par season with PG13 just because he's an efficient 3rd scoring option who plays for the best thing in the League.
Re: The NBA Begins by Decale: 4:37pm On Feb 07, 2018
SmooshCHN:

Nah, they shouldn't. Coaches need to rest, reduce minutes or come up with fake injuries. It works in the football world, no reason it shouldn't work in the NBA world.

Besides, I think these players dey injure each other just to give Team Curry a chance and to avoid these contagious Ls LeBron's been collecting grin
Re: The NBA Begins by Eruditor: 4:48pm On Feb 07, 2018
Decale:
Very happy OKC got that win at Oracle Arena, more impressive without Roberson, Melo and early foul troubles with Adams. I hope this can make Billy Donovan try out Melo from the bench. They're lacking in that department. One more trade should suffice too...

Later, someone will tell me role player Klay Thompson is having a better or on par season with PG13 just because he's an efficient 3rd scoring option who plays for the best thing in the League.

What do I know? Maybe Curry too should not have been a starter in the AllStars considering West Brook outplayed him yesterday.

This is the stuff that future GMs are made of. grin
Re: The NBA Begins by Eruditor: 4:58pm On Feb 07, 2018
DevdanSanguine:

I don't know about Cavs but GSW have been sh!tting the bed of late and it is not because of better opposition. Defensive rating from number 1 even midway into the season to below 10 last time I checked. Zero production from the bench. Thousands of missed open shots. Turn over after turn over after turn over. Incredibly useless rotations from the coach trying out funny things he would not try in the playoffs. Blowing huge leads time after time even for "poor" teams. Starting more games slower than last 3 seasons put together. Indifference. Piss-poor refereeing; Most refs think that if they are seen giving GSW fouls it will appear they are favoring them so they start calling absolute nonsense.

Good thing is, this moment always comes up once in a while in each season to jolt the team back into reality. We had that moment during the KD injury last year and even lost first seed at a point. Got blown out first game against Spurs and was 1-2 against them leading to the playoffs. Got beat by the Cavs in Dec and the talk was how the Cavs "owned their soul". I have seen a lot of reactionary nonsense over the course of 4 seasons to appreciate bad moments. Only that I get let down by "4 HOFers jibe" all over the air waves when the main NBA starts and then I have to go about reminding people about all they said moments prior.

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 5:03pm On Feb 07, 2018
Eruditor:

I don't know about Cavs but GSW have been sh!tting the bed of late and it is not because of better opposition. Defensive rating from number 1 even midway into the season to below 10 last time I checked. Zero production from the bench. Thousands of missed open shots. Turn over after turn over after turn over. Incredibly useless rotations from the coach trying out funny things he would not try in the playoffs. Blowing huge leads time after time even for "poor" teams. Starting more games slower than last 3 seasons put together. Indifference. Piss-poor refereeing; Most refs think that if they are seen giving GSW fouls it will appear they are favoring them so they start calling absolute nonsense.

Good thing is, this moment always comes up once in a while in each season to jolt the team back into reality. We had that moment during the KD injury last year and even lost first seed at a point. Got blown out first game against Spurs and was 1-2 against them leading to the playoffs. Got beat by the Cavs in Dec and the talk was how the Cavs "owned their soul". I have seen a lot of reactionary nonsense over the course of 4 seasons to appreciate bad moments. Only that I get let down by "4 HOFers jibe" all over the air waves when the main NBA starts and then I have to go about reminding people about all they said moments prior.

The warriors are probably just bored. But whether that's the case or not the west won't be a cakewalk for them again. Unlikely that these teams will face the injuries they did last year and there are a few teams that will give them a run for their money. They are still favourites but make no mistake, it's not a foregone conclusion.
Re: The NBA Begins by Eruditor: 5:05pm On Feb 07, 2018
Manutd19:
Lol

Saved for the playoffs.
Re: The NBA Begins by Eruditor: 5:07pm On Feb 07, 2018
DevdanSanguine:

The warriors are probably just bored. But whether that's the case or not the west won't be a cakewalk for them again. Unlikely that these teams will face the injuries they did last year and there are a few teams that will give them a run for their money. They are still favourites but make no mistake, it's not a foregone conclusion.

I never even thought it was a foregone conclusion last season. We got a lucky game against Spurs and that miraculous game against Cavs game 3. The difference between excellence and average is a very tiny margin. That is why even during the Cavs slump I have always maintained that they are still the team to beat in the east. The simple reason is, I am judging them by how good they are in their strongest moment (when they won 13-1 or so) and not by now when there is some palpable disharmony and lack of confidence.
Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 6:20pm On Feb 07, 2018
Eruditor:

I never even thought it was a foregone conclusion last season. We got a lucky game against Spurs and that miraculous game against Cavs game 3. The difference between excellence and average is a very tiny margin. That is why even during the Cavs slump I have always maintained that they are still the team to beat in the east. The simple reason is, I am judging them by how good they are in their strongest moment (when they won 13-1 or so) and not by now when there is some palpable disharmony and lack of confidence.

Baba,

A lack of will, trust and leadership fueled by poor coaching is responsible for the slump in Cavs. Can anyone, including ardent Cavs fan convincingly argue that the Cavs would make it to the finals in this state? Both struggles are different and the warriors have a higher probability of not getting knocked out in the 1st/2nd round in comparison to this Cavs team. Truth is, after Kyrie left, the Cavs don't have any player who can create for himself and for others. They lost clutch and speed especially in transition. If Bron dares it, he would get doubled in the playoffs and I doubt the others can carry the Cavs to the finals. Even when the Cavs went 13-1, they looked every shape of what they are right now in so many of those games, consequently, I would not hinge any argument on that run.

In my opinion, irrespective of what happens after the trade deadline, it would take a miracle of some sorts for the Cavs to stroll into the eastern conference finals, worth more winning it. This team is already broken. During the previous seasons in which they got to the finals, they were resting Bron for some games but they would not dare such now. You can only get away with the indifference for so long because the players are different now, the conference is stronger than it was last season and more importantly, the roster is not younger anymore. Everyone is playing the Cavs with an attempt at taking a shot at them.

According to https://stats.nba.com/teams/advanced/?sort=DEF_RATING&dir=-1, the Cavs are ranked 26th/28 in defensive efficiency, only ahead of the Kings and Suns, while your warriors are 5th/28.
Re: The NBA Begins by Eruditor: 7:16pm On Feb 07, 2018
Roland17:

Baba,

A lack of will, trust and leadership fueled by poor coaching is responsible for the slump in Cavs. Can anyone, including ardent Cavs fan convincingly argue that the Cavs would make it to the finals in this state? Both struggles are different and the warriors have a higher probability of not getting knocked out in the 1st/2nd round in comparison to this Cavs team. Truth is, after Kyrie left, the Cavs don't have any player who can create for himself and for others. They lost clutch and speed especially in transition. If Bron dares it, he would get doubled in the playoffs and I doubt the others can carry the Cavs to the finals. Even when the Cavs went 13-1, they looked every shape of what they are right now in so many of those games, consequently, I would not hinge any argument on that run.

In my opinion, irrespective of what happens after the trade deadline, it would take a miracle of some sorts for the Cavs to stroll into the eastern conference finals, worth more winning it. This team is already broken. During the previous seasons in which they got to the finals, they were resting Bron for some games but they would not dare such now. You can only get away with the indifference for so long because the players are different now, the conference is stronger than it was last season and more importantly, the roster is not younger anymore. Everyone is playing the Cavs with an attempt at taking a shot at them.

According to https://stats.nba.com/teams/advanced/?sort=DEF_RATING&dir=-1, the Cavs are ranked 26th/28 in defensive efficiency, only ahead of the Kings and Suns, while your warriors are 5th/28.

I guess you are right. If I am being honest, I did not watch them when they had that good run of games. I was just seeing scorelines and checking Lebron's numbers so I assumed that they could just flip the switch come playoffs and all will be right.

I think I should just accept that they have serious problems like you identified. I could not believe they messed up a 21-pt lead so bad that Orlando magic still had enough time to blow them out. Then I looked at the score reports and IT is going 3/13 0/6 from three and D Rose went 0/7.

I have never seen Lue as a good coach and I made it known even when he got that ring and many said he out coached Kerr. I maintained then that Kyrie stepping up was the reason Cavs came back to win even though Bron got all the credit. I was silently amused when Kyrie left but I did not see the monster that your celts will go on to become and I know for sure they will become the GSW after the next 3 years or so. But for now, I don't think you guys have enough scorers that can match the intensity that the playoffs demand. If Gordon was playing, sure, but you and I know that Tatum and co may fold during the Playoffs. It has happened to so many rookies.

In Toronto, we have trusted them too much in the past only to get let down so I am trying to be cautiously optimistic about their chances. I know Bron will leave after this playoffs but if they force out Tristan and JR and give him De Andre to go with Love they could become another beast before he eventually leaves.

At this point (based on teams I have watched this year) I know the Celts are the real deal but I don't know how to rate their chances against the Cavs in a 7-game duel. That is my summary.
Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 7:44pm On Feb 07, 2018
Eruditor:

I guess you are right. If I am being honest, I did not watch them when they had that good run of games. I was just seeing scorelines and checking Lebron's numbers so I assumed that they could just flip the switch come playoffs and all will be right.

I think I should just accept that they have serious problems like you identified. I could not believe they messed up a 21-pt lead so bad that Orlando magic still had enough time to blow them out. Then I looked at the score reports and IT is going 3/13 0/6 from three and D Rose went 0/7.

I have never seen Lue as a good coach and I made it known even when he got that ring and many said he out coached Kerr. I maintained then that Kyrie stepping up was the reason Cavs came back to win even though Bron got all the credit. I was silently amused when Kyrie left but I did not see the monster that your celts will go on to become and I know for sure they will become the GSW after the next 3 years or so. But for now, I don't think you guys have enough scorers that can match the intensity that the playoffs demand. If Gordon was playing, sure, but you and I know that Tatum and co may fold during the Playoffs. It has happened to so many rookies.

In Toronto, we have trusted them too much in the past only to get let down so I am trying to be cautiously optimistic about their chances. I know Bron will leave after this playoffs but if they force out Tristan and JR and give him De Andre to go with Love they could become another beast before he eventually leaves.

At this point (based on teams I have watched this year) I know the Celts are the real deal but I don't know how to rate their chances against the Cavs in a 7-game duel. That is my summary.

If I were Dan Gilbert, T. Lue, I would desperately hope Bron leaves after this season because it gives your franchise a lot more clarity and chance to really determine what path to rebuilding the franchise you would follow. They would definitely get tons of players for Bron. IT would also be hoping Bron leaves so he can convince the Cavs to build around him.

As for my Celtics, I have to agree that we are still very short on the offensive end (especially perimeter scoring), including rebounding. There are talks of getting "sweet Lou" from the Clippers and we are at the verge of signing Monroe. If those pan out, we may have to rely on a stifle defense to push us past more offensive laddered teams. That being said, the eastern conference is stronger and more competitive than Bron enjoyed last season. If by any chance the Cavs are matched against the Pistons, Bucks or even Miami in the first round, then I would not be shocked if they are bounced because those teams are young, with length and power rebounders.

Baba, as it stands, I would take my chances against this Cavs team if we meet in the post season. I am that confident about my chances against this team. As great as Bron has been in his career, he has arrived the inevitable stage where he can not do it alone. He needs players around him to be better than average on most nights. Take a look at the last night's loss against the Magic, which is reminiscent of other losses including the loss last week.

Against the Magic Bron scored 25, IT 11 or so and the next highest was 12. Against the Rockets Bron scored 11, IT and JR both poured 12. So you can see that teams are going to force the others to beat them whenever they face the Cavs and it is working because the others lack the creativity, pace, clutch or power to carry the Cavs.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (764) (765) (766) (767) (768) (769) (770) ... (2266) (Reply)

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup

Viewing this topic: birdman(m) and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.