Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,140 members, 7,977,283 topics. Date: Thursday, 17 October 2024 at 02:50 AM

Life In The Usa As A Student. - Travel (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Life In The Usa As A Student. (142106 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (29) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by charisel(m): 11:24pm On May 12, 2012
Hello Everyone!
I got admission offer for a Doctoral program in NanoEngineering starting this fall, but yet to receive the I-20 as I haven't completed the financial documentation. Now, my sponsor promised to send in all the required papers in 3 weeks. I wanna know if its appropriate to book for visa interview now? What will be the situation here? Please guide me!
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by oyewolejos(m): 11:31pm On May 12, 2012
spookie: Hello nairalanders.The information made on this forum as really been helpful.I will be in California in August to commence an MBA programme.my school is in Orange county ,fullerton.I want to find how life is like there for international students,especially Nigerians.what kind of job should I look for on campus?.finally,I have been able to make part deposit of 5500 dollars of my tuition.the total tuition is 22,000.will I be able to work part time to pay the balance of my tuition?.holla back @ your boy!
Orange County is not that popular to Nigerians. Though u will find loads of Nigerians who work in L.A but live or school in Orange County. California is a different place netirely so forget about taking the bus. If u can drive back and forth from L.A to Orange County which is like an hour or may be 2 during heavy traffic then u should be fine wit part time job in L.A. And there is no place in California that u can use part time employment to pay off over 17K$. So be prepared for the battle ahead. If i were you i will transfer to community college just to keep my status then when im stable i can start my MBA. With 6K$ u settled for a year at a community college. Whatever u decides to do don't fall out of status. It's hard to get back in.

4 Likes

Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by spookie: 7:29am On May 13, 2012
oyewolejos:
Orange County is not that popular to Nigerians. Though u will find loads of Nigerians who work in L.A but live or school in Orange County. California is a different place netirely so forget about taking the bus. If u can drive back and forth from L.A to Orange County which is like an hour or may be 2 during heavy traffic then u should be fine wit part time job in L.A. And there is no place in California that u can use part time employment to pay off over 17K$. So be prepared for the battle ahead. If i were you i will transfer to community college just to keep my status then when im stable i can start my MBA. With 6K$ u settled for a year at a community college. Whatever u decides to do don't fall out of status. It's hard to get back in.
@oyewole,thanks for the response to my question.I really do appreciate.what does it take to tranfer to a community college? And will I be able to get back to completing the MBA programme ?
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by phy: 7:51am On May 13, 2012
spookie: @oyewole,thanks for the response to my question.I really do appreciate.what does it take to tranfer to a community college? And will I be able to get back to completing the MBA programme ?

@spookie, you are welcome to orange county and CSUF. I am at CSUF and that's the only school you can be coming to for MBA. International students can only work part time on-campus in the first year (full time in the summer if available) and you can only work off-campus after the first year. Have you gotten your visa? Once again, you are welcome to the titan family. However, you need money.

2 Likes

Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by spookie: 12:23pm On May 13, 2012
phy:

@spookie, you are welcome to orange county and CSUF. I am at CSUF and that's the only school you can be coming to for MBA. International students can only work part time on-campus in the first year (full time in the summer if available) and you can only work off-campus after the first year. Have you gotten your visa? Once again, you are welcome to the titan family. However, you need money.
@phy ,I have gotten the visa,and the university is Hope international university,do u say I need money,lol.we need to hook up when I arrive bro,what re u studying?.what should I expect coming to cali?what kind of part time job should I look out for?
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by phy: 1:52pm On May 13, 2012
spookie: @phy ,I have gotten the visa,and the university is Hope international university,do u say I need money,lol.we need to hook up when I arrive bro,what re u studying?.what should I expect coming to cali?what kind of part time job should I look out for?
wow, i never knew hope university offers MBA. well, the school is just right across CSUF, in fact, it is almost opposite our school of biz. hope uni is a private school, but i'm not sure of their fees. you can only work on-campus in your first year and getting under the table jobs could be hard. also i dont know about getting an on-campus job there, but bear in mind that the campus is a small campus (less than 10% of csuf). You may start checking out ur school websites for jobs if there could be any. Good luck

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Emmanuelson(m): 1:45pm On May 18, 2012
Nice work guys...but i nid ur help on dis..am in naija but already wit my immigrant visa(visa lottery),my i20(fall semester) is on its way as an international student but am wit an immigrant visa...someone told me i wont b able 2 study as an international student with immigrant visa...pls guys is dis true and how can i go abt it....pls reply asap cos i nid ur helps..thanks...
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by omega25red(m): 4:14pm On May 18, 2012
Emmanuelson: Nice work guys...but i nid ur help on dis..am in naija but already wit my immigrant visa(visa lottery),my i20(fall semester) is on its way as an international student but am wit an immigrant visa...someone told me i wont b able 2 study as an international student with immigrant visa...pls guys is dis true and how can i go abt it....pls reply asap cos i nid ur helps..thanks...
if you won the visa lottery, why are you still applying for school as an international student? why aren't you migrating, getting your greencard, and then applying for school as apermanent resident who can possibly get financial aide?

you can go to school as an international student with an immigrant visa i think, but it's silly because you will end up paying international student fees which is way more than a resident school fees.
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Emmanuelson(m): 6:24pm On May 18, 2012
thanks man but my i20 is on its way and i dunt wanna wait till spring.just eager 2 b in sch.
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by GboyegaD(m): 1:11am On May 19, 2012
rowlandoo: @

Na wa. For you this man , you always talk like say na you first de live for usa , am not even sure if you are living a good life there as a matter of fact . Why would you discourage someone ambition . Why di you in the first place no stay in nigeria . Bullshit too full ur head like say na only u de Usa . If you are not involve in any kind of crime am sure you are good to live a nice life in the States so cuf ur crab abt police searching for a guy with no paper . I have seen guys living in usa with no papers for 5year and later got a greencard . Where u de live sef . Who are you . Am sure you are one of those snitch . Don't get caught

You are becoming more suspicious. Are you sure your intentions of coming to the US is to school?
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by GboyegaD(m): 1:16am On May 19, 2012
seedord247:

Please, don't use just a single experience to justify others. I know so many guys on Nairaland, that have scale thru this. Unless your Visa is expired. But, in as much your visa is still intact, you have 98% assurance of getting the green-card.

Nobody is perfect, and all fingers are not equal, if you have relatives or guardians paying your bills, give thanks to them bcus its not easy studying and spoon feeding yourself as an international student. The only advice ima give to those pple coming is to go to school and register, attend the school for sometime, but on the long run, if you nor fit feel the parol again. . . use your second plan/

Like Omega said. Nigerians here are not ready to help even though you have green card. I'm a witness to this. The thing is, if you are coming, just make sure you have some money with you in-case things go wrong. No Padi for USA.

Though, it's getting hard this days. but My way fit no be your way. I talk my own grin

They are not willing to help because many of them have gotten their fingers burnt by choosing to help people whose intention from the word go was never to go to school.
Whilst I understand fingers are not equal and it isn't easy surviving, I believe when there is a will there sure would be a way. I am responsible for myself here in the US, came in with very small amount of money although I got some funding which enables me pay in state tuition and also gives me stipends to cover my housing, feeding and other bills and have a little left to pay part of my tuition and God has been meeting my needs. I believe in positive thinking and my advise would be try to be positive in whatever you do, focus on your studies and you may be fortunate to get enough scholarships and grants after your 1st year if you do so well although I agree it isn't easy particularly for graduate students because of the expectations and what they believe we should know but God is ever faithful I can tell you.

2 Likes

Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by omega25red(m): 8:53pm On May 19, 2012
Emmanuelson: thanks man but my i20 is on its way and i dunt wanna wait till spring.just eager 2 b in sch.
i just re-read your original post and i dont see the issue because the documents you get from the school doesn't garuntee a visa sometimes and the point of all the documents is to get a visa as a student which will run for the duration of your course (as long as you attend school). Since you already have your "immigrant visa" from the lottery, you can actually apply to the school when you get to town and just let them know that you had applied initially and you stautus (immigration) has changed.

schools are businesss over here too and they wont deny you an admission.
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Emmanuelson(m): 3:00pm On May 20, 2012
Am sayn a very big thank u 2 all who help me with my probs...thank ya ol...emmanuelson luv u ol...anibodi wu knw abt morgan state university (their tuition fee en oda tins shud hint me)
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by jimtosam: 5:45pm On May 20, 2012
Emmanuelson: Am sayn a very big thank u 2 all who help me with my probs...thank ya ol...emmanuelson luv u ol...anibodi wu knw abt morgan state university (their tuition fee en oda tins shud hint me)

Emmanuelson, google knows about Morgan State University Tuition fee and other things. I'm sorry if this look somehow, let's ask critical questions that you have searched all day and night in google and have no headway.

1 Like

Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by yankison(m): 7:02pm On May 20, 2012
[/b][b]

Please house , I really need help registering for ACT the june intake I learnt it could still be registered for in the USA because it has closed here internationally . I was very Sad for missing my test in April I was a bit late cud not search d centr on time so was not allowed in . And I really don't wana go to the embassy without having a standardise test even as my school exempted toefl . Please anyone to help me regisyter there so I can get the money acroSs as soon as possible . God will bless you and be merciful unto you IJN AMEN .
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by phy: 5:09pm On May 23, 2012
Hi guys, pls what are the chances of self sponsorship at the embassy.
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by john15018: 7:21am On May 24, 2012
Studying in USA is expensive which can't be afforded by a number of people. Specially for students who belong to developing or under developed countries as the exchange rate of dollar for their currencies is very high so they can't afford to study in USA without a scholarship. Many USA universities provide scholarship for students if they find that the student is worth it. You have to score well in exams like GMAT to get admission in these universities.
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by phy: 11:24pm On May 29, 2012
Hi guys, is anybody in NJ anywhere around Morris town. I may be relocating for to the place in June for an internship and I need sublets or shared stuffs for about 3 months. Pls post in here if you have any info.
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by omega25red(m): 3:46pm On May 30, 2012
^^ you should look on craig'slist.com for rooms apartment etc. you will find postings of people who need someone now. Note that there are also some scammers on there so do be careful
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by phy: 4:38pm On May 30, 2012
omega25red: ^^ you should look on craig'slist.com for rooms apartment etc. you will find postings of people who need someone now. Note that there are also some scammers on there so do be careful
Sure, I've been checking. Thanks
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by oyewolejos(m): 7:18am On May 31, 2012
GboyegaD:

They are not willing to help because many of them have gotten their fingers burnt by choosing to help people whose intention from the word go was never to go to school.
Whilst I understand fingers are not equal and it isn't easy surviving, I believe when there is a will there sure would be a way. I am responsible for myself here in the US, came in with very small amount of money although I got some funding which enables me pay in state tuition and also gives me stipends to cover my housing, feeding and other bills and have a little left to pay part of my tuition and God has been meeting my needs. I believe in positive thinking and my advise would be try to be positive in whatever you do, focus on your studies and you may be fortunate to get enough scholarships and grants after your 1st year if you do so well although I agree it isn't easy particularly for graduate students because of the expectations and what they believe we should know but God is ever faithful I can tell you.
GboyegaD:

Just because you are fortunate to get some help doesn't mean everybody are that lucky. Don't judge people cos not all of us had it so good. Everybody wants to go to school and get that degree and live the American dream but somehow they are no fortunate to afford it and they got to do what they got to do. And those who dropped out of college today they can still come back tomorrow and earn the prestigious Doctorate degree.
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by phy: 12:25am On Jun 18, 2012
hey, what's happening on this thread.
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Mozehh: 5:23pm On Jun 28, 2012
Guys, please can anyone give me advice on the best way to travel to new orleans from lagos. How should i book my flight to ensure i get the cheapest rates? Should i break the journey? What airline offers are available? Expected cost. Etc. That kind of stuff. Thanks in anticipation.
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by KayDee4: 6:43pm On Jun 28, 2012
Mozehh: Guys, please can anyone give me advice on the best way to travel to new orleans from lagos. How should i book my flight to ensure i get the cheapest rates? Should i break the journey? What airline offers are available? Expected cost. Etc. That kind of stuff. Thanks in anticipation.

Air France, KLM, Continental and Lufthansa, check the prices on their official websites and then compare with prices on www.kayak.com . **avoid mixing different airlines on your itinerary**
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by phy: 3:49am On Jul 02, 2012
@spookie, how are your plans and when are you coming into town?
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by spookie: 9:08am On Jul 03, 2012
@ phy ,I'm fine.my departure date is 28th of this month.how's school work? Thanks for the looking out
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by phy: 8:19pm On Jul 03, 2012
spookie: @ phy ,I'm fine.my departure date is 28th of this month.how's school work? Thanks for the looking out

cool, let me know if you need help when you come in.
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by ifegy: 1:09am On Jul 04, 2012
john15018: Studying in USA is expensive which can't be afforded by a number of people. Specially for students who belong to developing or under developed countries as the exchange rate of dollar for their currencies is very high so they can't afford to study in USA without a scholarship. Many USA universities provide scholarship for students if they find that the student is worth it. You have to score well in exams like GMAT to get admission in these universities.

FYI-- scholarships for students from developing countries
http://www.scholars4dev.com/category/field-of-study/
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by spookie: 6:35am On Jul 04, 2012
@ phy ,thanks a lot.I will definitely get in touch with u arrive when I arrive.Remain blessed
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by opsy4real1: 6:42am On Jul 04, 2012
Hi room, wats the procedure to get admission for masters programe into any u.s school? I learnt there are some institutions that offers and sends I-20 forms without any prior deposits and standardized tests waiver
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by phy: 6:20am On Jul 06, 2012
opsy4real1: Hi room, wats the procedure to get admission for masters programe into any u.s school? I learnt there are some institutions that offers and sends I-20 forms without any prior deposits and standardized tests waiver

You don't need to pay prior deposit before admission into any US schools, not even before your visa interview. However, the page for your question is "General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2".
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by yankison(m): 2:35pm On Jul 13, 2012
GboyegaD:

You are becoming more suspicious. Are you sure your intentions of coming to the US is to school?

I did not even see this post . Of course am coming to school , what else can USA offer me than education .moreover I am an academist and will come study and live because I am the next senate president

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (29) (Reply)

My France Picture Gallery / Can Anyone Tell Me How To Get A Nigerian Police Report? / Diary Of A Nigerian Student living In Moscow, Russia.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.