Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,181,949 members, 7,915,750 topics. Date: Friday, 09 August 2024 at 09:55 AM

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (40) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 (11002850 Views)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Pride Of London / Offical Bayern Munich Fan Thread: 6x Champions Of Europe / Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) ... (19742) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by dyabman(m): 8:24am On Jun 10, 2012
^^^^^
that is why we need felaini who can win midfield battles for us or Moussa Dembele.. with those players hazard and mata will dominate flourishly
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by nateevs(m): 10:56am On Jun 10, 2012
ritchboy:

Of course Marin, Hazard and Hulk won't win you any midfield battles because they are not midfielders. The team that wins the midfield battle dictates possession. The team that surrenders possession can only play up to a certain level("low/medium blocks" [c] AVB) before they get slaughtered by more skilled opposition. So I'm wondering how Hulk and Hazard will turn Miereles/Ramires to Busquets/Xavi(possession kings) that afford you the luxury of "never having to defend as deep as before". How will Hazard and Hulk help you play higher up the field @ Nou Camp, Allianz Arena or The Emirates?

Dude. . Football does not work "only on a set of principles".

Chelsea can line up a very decent midfield in a combination of Mikel and Lamps in a double pivot and Mata in the hole.
This is one of the best midfield 3 in the PL.

However, one of the reasons Chelsea had to defend deep against the opposition mentioned is because almost always broke down on the forward line. With Drogba, Malouda, Kalou, Ramires, there was not enough quality in ball retention. They lost the ball more often and it's only a matter of time before midfield is overrun.

With the inclusion of Marin, Hulk, Hazard and Mata in the hole we suddenly have an att mid/forward line that could cause problems.
Hazard and Marin are players that can pick up the ball and walk into the opposition half.
Opposition knows this and the plan will be to double on these players and that's where it changes.

When two players on the flanks in certain "team A" need to be doubled on, then the opposition suddenly has two midfield players with more work to do on the flanks in addition to dominating possession. Because they know this team has a forward line dangerous not just on the break but even with posssession, they become less inventive with passes. This will cause them to push back a little in preparation for defensive cover. The outcome is "Team A" also has less pressure and allowing their midfielders to get on the ball more. This is an example of how a mobile and threatening forward line can help a team win midfield battles.

A classic example of this is Bayern V Chelsea, Bayern did not win the midfield battle because they typically have a better midfield than Chelsea. They did because they had threatening forward players in Ribery and Robben.

I am not claiming that Chelsea will win all the battles in midfield but we can even it and the hence statement, Hulk, Marin, Hazard and Mata will mean Chelsea doesn't need to defend as deep. However, to you, the midfield battles are only won in midfield. This is a dynamic game and not based on only a set of principles.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by ritchboy(m): 11:31am On Jun 10, 2012
nateevs:

Dude. . Football does not work "only on a set of principles".

Chelsea can line up a very decent midfield in a combination of Mikel and Lamps in a double pivot and Mata in the hole.
This is one of the best midfield 3 in the PL.

However, one of the reasons Chelsea had to defend deep against the opposition mentioned is because almost always broke down on the forward line. With Drogba, Malouda, Kalou, Ramires, there was not enough quality in ball retention. They lost the ball more often and it's only a matter of time before midfield is overrun.

With the inclusion of Marin, Hulk, Hazard and Mata in the hole we suddenly have an att mid/forward line that could cause problems.
Hazard and Marin are players that can pick up the ball and walk into the opposition half.
Opposition knows this and the plan will be to double on these players and that's where it changes.

When two players on the flanks in certain "team A" need to be doubled on, then the opposition suddenly has two midfield players with more work to do on the flanks in addition to dominating possession. Because they know this team has a forward line dangerous not just on the break but even with posssession, they become less inventive with passes. This will cause them to push back a little in preparation for defensive cover. The outcome is "Team A" also has less pressure and allowing their midfielders to get on the ball more. This is an example of how a mobile and threatening forward line can help a team win midfield battles.

All this is secondary. . . Sure, Hazard can help keep opposition honest(even Theo Walcott does this with sheer pace) and make the midfielders' job a little easier but it's still up to the midfielders to do the main job. Silva and sons can also "pick up the ball and walk into the opposition half" but Mancini still parks his Lambo at Emirates every season because his midfield is no match for Arsenal's in possession.

As long as it's still Ramires, Lampard, Miereles and co in the middle of the park don't expect to roll up to Allianz Arena and play "high blocks" because Bayern are scared of Hazard and Marin.

A classic example of this is Bayern V Chelsea, Bayern did not win the midfield battle because they typically have a better midfield than Chelsea. They did because they had threatening forward players in Ribery and Robben.

This is patently false as Schweinsteiger and Kroos are miles ahead of Lampard and Mikel in possession of the ball. Ribery and Robben are the most threatening wingers on earth but don't expect them to win midfield battle for Bayern at Nou Camp.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by ritchboy(m): 11:37am On Jun 10, 2012
In your defense, you did say "as deep as" last season, which doesn't take much to beat. grin grin
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by afrodoc(m): 12:03pm On Jun 10, 2012
nice!
i am enjoying d debate guys,pls continue.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by dayokanu(m): 6:43pm On Jun 10, 2012
LOL at Fernadud Torres
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by dare2think: 6:55pm On Jun 10, 2012
What can we do with Torress?

What sort of emotional trauma is he going through that is affecting his decision making faculty?

Did he lose a loved one? Or Is the willie not coming up again?

I mean wtf!!
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by afrodoc(m): 6:59pm On Jun 10, 2012
in his defence spain did have a better shape with torres on d pitch grin
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by dayokanu(m): 7:07pm On Jun 10, 2012
Maybe its the skill-less Lampard, Drogbas witchcraft, Sturridges Selfishness, and Chelseas lack of flair thats to blame for wasting 3 100%chance where he is given the ball and allowed to run at the last man
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Nobody: 7:47pm On Jun 10, 2012
I am concerned after reading comments made by Ramires that have been published in the press today. Ramires was asked about the possibility of making return to Brazil and Cruzeiro and responded by saying:

“If Cruzeiro are interested, it’s possible for me to go back. Although it’s not a decision I can make and difficult because my price is very high. If Cruzeiro could raise the money, I would go back for sure.

I was happy at Cruzeiro and felt an obligation to return at some point as the club offered me a chance to launch my sport career in Europe. I still follow their matches on the internet. The fans were always good to me and named me ‘Ramires the Warrior’.

I still keep all the videos of when I played at the club and in difficult moments at Chelsea I watch them to increase my morale
undecided undecided undecided
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by nateevs(m): 8:52pm On Jun 10, 2012
Fernando just made me shake my head. grin grin
I bet someone up there is probably thinking "Alright that's it . . we cut our losses"

I still have to continue to believe. £50m investment is not small money. cheesy
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by medjai(m): 9:28pm On Jun 10, 2012
dayokanu: Maybe its the skill-less Lampard, Drogbas witchcraft, Sturridges Selfishness, and Chelseas lack of flair thats to blame for wasting 3 100%chance where he is given the ball and allowed to run at the last man
Those were difficult chances. Much easier chances were missed in the game. Buffon did an amazing job to come out and stop him because he knows Torres loves to round the keeper. The 2nd chance was even harder. Very few strikers would score that. Yeah, he could have passed to Navas instead of trying to lob the keeper but he deserves credit because he created the opening, playing a 1-2 with Xavi. Spain were much better after he came on. His movement greatly troubled Italy's backline. They could hardly cope with his movement.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by dayokanu(m): 9:46pm On Jun 10, 2012
Please what easier chances were missed by Spain in the game?

The failure had a run at Buffons goal at least 5 meters

And still cant score. So was Buffon supposed to run away from goal or what? wasnt buffon doing his goalkeeping job?

Torres faced the keeper and shot the ball way over the bar, Does it matter if he was the one who created the chance for himself? Someone passed to him he beat the defender and cant even shoot on target.

What was difficult about a chance where you had a clear run at the keeper and the other one face to face and blasted over the bar?
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by dayokanu(m): 9:55pm On Jun 10, 2012
nateevs: Fernando just made me shake my head. grin grin
I bet someone up there is probably thinking "Alright that's it . . we cut our losses"

I still have to continue to believe. £50m investment is not small money. cheesy

Cant we find a way to link this to Drogba, Lampard, Sturridge, Malouda or Kalou?
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by coogar: 10:19pm On Jun 10, 2012
medjai: Those were difficult chances. Much easier chances were missed in the game. Buffoon did an amazing job to come out and stop him because he knows Torres loves to round the keeper. The 2nd chance was even harder. Very few strikers would score that. Yeah, he could have passed to Navas instead of trying to lob the keeper but he deserves credit because he created the opening, playing a 1-2 with Xavi. Spain were much better after he came on. His movement greatly troubled Italy's backline. They could hardly cope with his movement.

exactly what i thought...but trust the charlatans to start snapping.
every striker in the world has bungled a 1-v-1 chance with the goalie.
torres wanted to round buffon...buffon being an excellent goalie with
long arms n long legs just tackled him and won the ball.

the 2nd chance was difficult. if he had passed to navas, the same
people talking here would say torres lost his confidence. he tried
to chip the goalie but he was off-target. how many times did messi
go 1-v-1 with cech last month at the bridge?

breaking news: di matteo signs 1 year contract with chelsea!
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by afrodoc(m): 10:28pm On Jun 10, 2012
keeping d seat warm for Pep Guardiola?
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Ibime(m): 11:16pm On Jun 10, 2012
At least we thank God that Torres is back to his physical best. His pace continues to look good, something he seemed to have lost in his first few months of Chelsea.

However what the game highlights is the riskiness of building your team around a player so mentally weak, especially when you are commiting your whole style of play to create the kinda opportunities he thrives on, foregoing other avenues which have worked well for us, such as having a big target man who can hold up play and set up the midfield, or crosses from the fullbacks, or knockdowns from a strong centre-forward. There was no better example of "switchback" than the passes Spain gave Torres today.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Ibime(m): 11:24pm On Jun 10, 2012
coogar:
how many times did messi
go 1-v-1 with cech last month at the bridge?

Messi has scored 82 goals for club and country this season whilst Torres has scored 8.

Whenever Torres flop, you always point to some other successful player missing chances.

Wetin concern 82 goal Messi with 8 goal Torres?

1 Like

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by 1025: 11:27pm On Jun 10, 2012
keeping d seat warm for Pep Guardiola?

@afrodoc,
i tot manure shld be more worried over the activeness of an ancestor in charge of their team. it is scientifically proven that at a certain age in life, man starts behaving and reasoning like a child.
in economics, it is called DIMINISHING RETURNS and it happens when a person has reached his peak. you will at this stage(peak) have no other choice than decline.
when a coach begins to bench his highest goals scorer(barbatov) and sharp shooter(chicharito) for divers(young and welbeck) u will know something is wrong somewhere. if nobody resigns.retires, i will not be surprise if rooney one day starts from the goal and nani plays 3 with evra as top 9.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by dayokanu(m): 11:41pm On Jun 10, 2012
Ibime: At least we thank God that Torres is back to his physical best. His pace continues to look good, something he seemed to have lost in his first few months of Chelsea.

However what the game highlights is the riskiness of building your team around a player so mentally weak, especially when you are commiting your whole style of play to create the kinda opportunities he thrives on, foregoing other avenues which have worked well for us, such as having a big target man who can hold up play and set up the midfield, or crosses from the fullbacks, or knockdowns from a strong centre-forward. There was no better example of "switchback" than the passes Spain gave Torres today.

Those passes that Torres got today were the best any striker can receive, A pass from midfield and he was able to make about 5-7 steps before the keeper got to him means enough time to make a decision yet he flopped and we should praise him.

What more does he want? they have given him pass where he gets one on one vs the Keeper and he misses cant even get a shot on target or draw a save from the keeper

What a wasteman
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by nateevs(m): 11:44pm On Jun 10, 2012
Ibime: At least we thank God that Torres is back to his physical best. His pace continues to look good, something he seemed to have lost in his first few months of Chelsea.

You and this your yeye "switchback" you keep spreading about.
You are the only Chelsea fan I know that knows about this fictitious system.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by coogar: 11:46pm On Jun 10, 2012
Ibime:

Messi has scored 82 goals for club and country this season whilst Torres has scored 8.

Whenever Torres flop, you always point to some other successful player missing chances.

Wetin concern 82 goal Messi with 8 goal Torres?

and i am sure messi has missed 200 chances...
if i have had xavi, iniesta, villa, cesc, di maria,
tevez, higuain, aguero, etc as team mates, i would score 100 goals.

it's a shade better than having misfits n okrika products like
lampard, sturridge, lukaku, essien, etc as team-mates. a club
like chelsea who are ready to play negative and win by the odd
goal should not be compared to barcelona.

officer ibime, you have been found out again....as a pillock! grin
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by dayokanu(m): 11:55pm On Jun 10, 2012
coogar:

and i am sure messi has missed 200 chances...
if i have had xavi, iniesta, cesc Busquets villa, di maria,
tevez, higuain, aguero, etc as team mates, i would score 100 goals.

Torres has those in bold, thy actually gave him 2 sumptuous passes today and he squandered everything

Just the same way he wasted everything in South Africa and they had to bench his asss for the team to win
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by nateevs(m): 11:59pm On Jun 10, 2012
dayokanu:

Torres has those in bold, thy actually gave him 2 sumptuous passes today and he squandered everything

Just the same way he wasted everything in South Africa and they had to bench his asss for the team to win

The point Coogar is making is that maybe he (Torres) will score the next 2 chances which negates the ones he missed.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by dayokanu(m): 12:08am On Jun 11, 2012
nateevs: The point Coogar is making is that maybe he (Torres) will score the next 2 chances which negates the ones he missed.

If a team is to depend on a striker who misses chance after chance it wont be long before they get kicked out of the tournament

Thankfully someone like Del Bosque is smart enough to know a dud when he sees one and give him the dud treatment like he did in South Africa
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by debosky(m): 11:20am On Jun 11, 2012
Y'all should get off Torres' back - a number of 'top' strikers have fluffed their lines so far at the Euros - it's way too early to start passing judgement.

dayokanu:
What more does he want? they have given him pass where he gets one on one vs the Keeper and he misses cant even get a shot on target or draw a save from the keeper

What a wasteman

The title wasteman has been eternally reserved for Arjen Robben - he wasted dozens more (and better) chances than Torres did. In fact, the urban dictionary is going to use his ugly balding mug beside the definition of wasteman. cheesy
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Nobody: 11:25am On Jun 11, 2012
For how long will the dud be defended?
I expected Torres to take a shot instead of running away from the goal post all in the name of rounding the goalie.

Torres will score alright, after having like 20 chances wasted.
This is the man to lead the Chelsea attack next season. . .?

Meanwhile, RDM to be confirmed as manager this week.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by nateevs(m): 11:29am On Jun 11, 2012
So RDM gets a "one-year contract" after winning the CL and the FA Cup against all odds.

I hope this puts to bed finally the argument of all these years what Roman demands from his manager.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Nobody: 11:36am On Jun 11, 2012
nateevs: So RDM gets a "one-year contract" after winning the CL and the FA Cup against all odds.

I hope this puts to bed finally the argument of all these years what Roman demands from his manager.

Is it confirmed it is for one year?
Or mere speculations?

Contract terms have now been agreed - [b]and it is definitely more than a one-year deal [/b]that would look like he was simply holding the fort until Pep Guardiola made himself available.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by debosky(m): 11:42am On Jun 11, 2012
nateevs: So RDM gets a "one-year contract" after winning the CL and the FA Cup against all odds.

. . . .and it proves what I (and others) have been saying for years - the CL is the holy grail for Roman and deeply influences his managerial decisions, typified by Mourinho and Ancelotti.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by nateevs(m): 11:48am On Jun 11, 2012
BlueDiva:

Is it confirmed it is for one year?
Or mere speculations?

Not official yet.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by nateevs(m): 11:49am On Jun 11, 2012
debosky:

. . . .and it proves what I (and others) have been saying for years - the CL is the holy grail for Roman and deeply influences his managerial decisions, typified by Mourinho and Ancelotti.

Scolari, Grant, AVB?
So he finally gets the "holy grail" and rewards him with "a year's contract" right?

I still don't get where it proves what you claim. Please show me.

(1) (2) (3) ... (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) ... (19742) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: abimcdssi, piroskey94(m), airmark(m), bolu96(m) and 6 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.