Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,633 members, 7,951,630 topics. Date: Tuesday, 17 September 2024 at 07:53 PM

Travelling To Canada Part 3 - Travel (249) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Travelling To Canada Part 3 (521670 Views)

Travelling To Canada Part 9 / Travelling To Canada Part 8 / Travelling To Canada Part 7 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (246) (247) (248) (249) (250) (251) (252) ... (404) (Go Down)

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 3 by earthgreeners(m): 7:38pm On Dec 10, 2012
eldred the don: @all ...@siga.....please i am looking for offcampus accomodation in ottawa ooooo....please help from anybody needed quickly.....any link, any connection is greatly appreciated.....thank you in advance.

Warning: Do not negotiate off campus accomodation until you get to Canada or you have someone out there that can check it out on ur behalf.. Check with the Residence Office or the international Office @ your university for more info on On Campus and off campus accomodations.

At the point, I suggest you go for On campus accomodation which u can opt out after few months of ur stay to an Off campus accomodation.

If your school dont have accomodation, u can present a letter to CDHC informing them of ur concern on Off-campus accomodation. In this case you can have your school verify the fact that there are no On Campus residence.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 3 by humanshado: 8:08pm On Dec 10, 2012
earthgreeners: LIST OF FALL 2013 APPLICANTS

1) owenklay : PG
2) galala123: PG
3) Goldie20: UG
4) ronakoks : PG
5) earthgreeners: PG
6) kanayogod: UG
7) freshdude: PG
cool adim02: PG
9) jman77: UG
10) dommakavelli: PG
11) bukahands: PG

NB: Those whose names are yet to be added should indicate their proposed program, level, University / college.

Last Update: 10/12/2012 11:02am

Masters in Chemical Engineering (U of Regina, U of British Columbia); Masters in Petroleum Engineering (U of Calgary). This is going to be my second master's degree though. I already have an MSc from the UK in 2010 in a different subject. I hope this will not be a problem when I apply for visa. I have also traveled to France, The Netherlands, Germany, USA, Japan and UAE - I guess travel history is not an issue. Any constructive comments will be appreciated.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 3 by kayce43: 8:41pm On Dec 10, 2012
mercylicious: Cdhc just called less than 5mins ago. They asked d duration of my course. I told them 2yrs. They said I wrote 1year, to end 2014. I told them yes. That jan 2013 to dec is 1 year. Jan 2014 to dec is 2years.
She said ok and dropped. Whatever it is, I know it will be positive. My dream doesn't fail me. I had a dream were I was sharing ppl rice and stew yesterday night.
This morning, I went and sealed d dream wit a seed in d church.
Whatever happens will be in my favour.
No worries dear God is obviously on ur case, i believe this is a very vry good sign, they r interested in ur application, Congratulations in advance!!!!
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 3 by Nobody: 9:30pm On Dec 10, 2012
harrymann: Nice to know that this forum is waxing stronger . For those coming in , this is some advice for u:

1. Come well prepared with thermal wears, it is very cold.
2. Focus on your studies and forget about working on campus during your first semester . It will will give you better time to adjust to the educational system here.
3. Target a GPA of at least 70% , so you can apply for your offcampus work permit after 6 months.

4. Cut your coat according to your pocket so you won't go broke. No one will dash you free money in Canada like in Nigeria .
5. Don't sign up for more than on credit card . The consequence is huge .
6. Stay away from bad friends to avoid deportation.
7. Finally, focus on what brought you here to Canada, every other thing is secondary . You reward for your sacrifice comes after you are done with school.

I wish you all a safe trip to Canada. The most peaceful country in the world.

Harry
MSc. graduate
University of Regina.

Nice post. Plz harry, siga and all, throw more light on No 5.
Is there an option of nt using credit card at all? I prefer debit card and won't want credit card. In cutting coat according to pocket, is Indomie noodles cheaper in canny than in naija. Garrium sulphide is a must, I don't even mind doing waybill for it. Hahaha, faith in action.
@harry, am heading to Regina and would want to ask u sumthings offline.
My email is mercylicious@mtnnigeria.blackberry.com
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 3 by Nobody: 9:36pm On Dec 10, 2012
ferdimako:

Why did u write one year when you know it is a two-year program? Did u do 2014-2013?
Yes I did. Jan 2013 to dec 2013 is one year. Jan 2014 to dec 2014 is another year. Bt I feel they think otherwise. Remember I was denied previously due to funds- dt it won't be enough for my duratn of stay, so I thought they saw my applicatn as 3yrs applicatn.

Whatever it is, God has taken control.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 3 by Siga: 10:02pm On Dec 10, 2012
mercylicious:

Nice post. Plz harry, siga and all, throw more light on No 5.
Is there an option of nt using credit card at all? I prefer debit card and won't want credit card. In cutting coat according to pocket, is Indomie noodles cheaper in canny than in naija. Garrium sulphide is a must, I don't even mind doing waybill for it. Hahaha, faith in action.
@harry, am heading to Regina and would want to ask u sumthings offline.
My email is mercylicious@mtnnigeria.blackberry.com
......yea...a single card is enough.....with a maximum limit of $500 is pretty much good enough to keep ur credit history....u need to start building ur credit history...
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 3 by newacca: 10:33pm On Dec 10, 2012
frankysteve: am back again.this time am going to get it right

Welcome back bro. U gotta get it right this time. With proper packaging and God's support. I wish u well.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 3 by newacca: 10:38pm On Dec 10, 2012
Henkyz: @All and sir Siga, I'v picked up my TRV now.. Praise God!!!!
For those of us remaining, u'd be issued IJN Amen!!
I told u d other time to chillax smiley Now u got it. CONGRATS dude

harrymann: Nice to know that this forum is waxing stronger . For those coming in , this is some advice for u:

2. Focus on your studies and forget about working on campus during your first semester . It will will give you better time to adjust to the educational system here.
3. Target a GPA of at least 70% , so you can apply for your offcampus work permit after 6 months.

4. Cut your coat according to your pocket so you won't go broke. No one will dash you free money in Canada like in Nigeria .
7. Finally, focus on what brought you here to Canada, every other thing is secondary . You reward for your sacrifice comes after you are done with school.

Harry
MSc. graduate
University of Regina.

Thx. It goes a long way.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 3 by dommakavelli: 10:42pm On Dec 10, 2012
freshdude:
were u able to secure a supervisor for memorial.?

Nope,all the supervisors I wrote to didn't reply. So, I choose course based instead of research based program
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 3 by Siga: 10:49pm On Dec 10, 2012
dommakavelli:

Nope,all the supervisors I wrote to didn't reply. So, I choose course based instead of research based program
....when u get to the school...try to change to research based if thats what u wanna do....u can knock on doors to find urself a supervisor that would take u....
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 3 by eldredthedon(m): 11:12pm On Dec 10, 2012
earthgreeners:

Warning: Do not negotiate off campus accomodation until you get to Canada or you have someone out there that can check it out on ur behalf.. Check with the Residence Office or the international Office @ your university for more info on On Campus and off campus accomodations.

At the point, I suggest you go for On campus accomodation which u can opt out after few months of ur stay to an Off campus accomodation.

If your school dont have accomodation, u can present a letter to CDHC informing them of ur concern on Off-campus accomodation. In this case you can have your school verify the fact that there are no On Campus residence.

@earthgreeners...thanks alot, but here exactly is my challenge.......upon my medical invite, the embassy says i should pay 1 year of my accomodation. Now, my school has currently no available on-campus residence. Applications for on-campus residency are done between february and june of the year.(my admission letter came in july). Now this leaves me with just the off-campus option. I have found a couple of off-campus locations i "think" i like. But the challenge is this......who on this earth ever pays 1 year for offcampus accomodation? does that even make sense?......how do i now want to explain that to the embassy. Most of the conditions surrounding off-campus accomodation is that you pay last month or both last and first months rent to secure the place......so what the hell do i need to submit to the embassy?.....im really confused.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 3 by lillaowow(m): 11:18pm On Dec 10, 2012
Reading through d thread and smiling...
Thanks to those that asked of me...
To the new TRV holders, congrats
To those waiting to get their TRV, congrats in advance
To those waiting for medicals, all d best
To those denied, words fail me here, anyways, good luck in your future endeavÓurs ( we handle denials different ways)
Now to d gist

My Ðenial was dated, 22nd of Nov. I got to know on d 23rd
Cldnt inform my sponsor will she got to Nigeria on d 29th cos she was SOOOO certain I'd get it (in fact she traveled wit my Tuition, I was amazed when I saw it)...

Reason--- no sufficient balance without blah blah blah.... Sponsor not credible..

Still in lag, wld upload ma denial letter/note/ whatever when I get home tomorrow.

Everything I submitted was intact including the police character certificate

A question for the house, does No sufficient balance always comes with sponsor not credible??

I THINK d mistake I made was trying to be over confident with TWO sponsors. My main sponsor already said I was alright with her documents and balance. But I wanted to be soooo sure I wldnt have issues.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 3 by blink6(m): 11:33pm On Dec 10, 2012
earthgreeners: LIST OF FALL 2013 APPLICANTS

1) owenklay : PG
2) galala123: PG
3) Goldie20: UG
4) ronakoks : PG
5) earthgreeners: PG
6) kanayogod: UG
7) freshdude: PG
cool adim02: PG
9) jman77: UG
10) dommakavelli: PG
11) bukahands: PG

NB: Those whose names are yet to be added should indicate their proposed program, level, University / college.

Last Update: 10/12/2012 11:02am
Add mine; level: UG,,, Uni: Brandon university
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 3 by blink6(m): 11:36pm On Dec 10, 2012
mercylicious: Congrats henkyz. I am d next to be celebrated.
Amen to that. I pray the rest of Us be celebrated when d time is due.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 3 by Siga: 11:37pm On Dec 10, 2012
eldred the don:

@earthgreeners...thanks alot, but here exactly is my challenge.......upon my medical invite, the embassy says i should pay 1 year of my accomodation. Now, my school has currently no available on-campus residence. Applications for on-campus residency are done between february and june of the year.(my admission letter came in july). Now this leaves me with just the off-campus option. I have found a couple of off-campus locations i "think" i like. But the challenge is this......who on this earth ever pays 1 year for offcampus accomodation? does that even make sense?......how do i now want to explain that to the embassy. Most of the conditions surrounding off-campus accomodation is that you pay last month or both last and first months rent to secure the place......so what the hell do i need to submit to the embassy?.....im really confused.
...sorry to come in...just feel I need to advise abit....with rentals....they come at times with 1yr lease and u need to pay first and last months rent....thats the way it is....u can present the receipt of the rent to the embassy and have ur landlord mail u and copy the embassy the info...thats if he/she is willing to do that....now, with the school accommodation been closed....have the school write you a mail stating what you just said or go on the school website and print the page that states the on-campus accomodation booking timeline....I hope this helps....another option is to call the school international office, ask for the student union leader and plead ur case...u will be suprised he might connect u to a Nigerian student who is willing to help....
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 3 by eldredthedon(m): 11:43pm On Dec 10, 2012
Siga: ...sorry to come in...just feel I need to advise abit....with rentals....they come at times with 1yr lease and u need to pay first and last months rent....thats the way it is....u can present the receipt of the rent to the embassy and have ur landlord mail u and copy the embassy the info...thats if he/she is willing to do that....now, with the school accommodation been closed....have the school write you a mail stating what you just said or go on the school website and print the page that states the on-campus accomodation booking timeline....I hope this helps....another option is to call the school international office, ask for the student union leader and plead ur case...u will be suprised he might connect u to a Nigerian student who is willing to help....

wow....thanks siga.....would do....honestly ehhh i dont want to believe that i'm the first person with this kind of challenge.....its soooo not possible........any other solutions in the house?.......please i am all ears.....common mehhhn...someone has been in dis situation before or knows someone that has been .....please please advice.....thanks a million.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 3 by log1(m): 11:49pm On Dec 10, 2012
humanshado:

Masters in Chemical Engineering (U of Regina, U of British Columbia); Masters in Petroleum Engineering (U of Calgary). This is going to be my second master's degree though. I already have an MSc from the UK in 2010 in a different subject. I hope this will not be a problem when I apply for visa. I have also traveled to France, The Netherlands, Germany, USA, Japan and UAE - I guess travel history is not an issue. Any constructive comments will be appreciated.

humanshado are u going for research base or coursework master in U of Calgary and have u been admitted already? You dont have problem has long you dont make reference to the first master degree you had in Uk and again your first degree must be in tune with this master programme you are going for now. i wish all the best.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 3 by log1(m): 11:58pm On Dec 10, 2012
blink6:
Add mine; level: UG,,, Uni: Brandon university
I thought you wanted to write another SSCE next year therefore looking towards 2014 entry? I stand to be corrected bro
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 3 by effizypo: 12:03am On Dec 11, 2012
lillaowow: Reading through d thread and smiling...
To those denied, words fail me here, anyways, good luck in your future endeavÓurs ( we handle denials different ways)
Now to d gist

Cldnt inform my sponsor will she got to Nigeria on d 29th cos she was SOOOO certain I'd get it (in fact she traveled wit my Tuition, I was amazed when I saw it)...

Reason--- no sufficient balance without blah blah blah.... Sponsor not credible..

Still in lag, wld upload ma denial letter/note/ whatever when I get home tomorrow.

A question for the house, does No sufficient balance always comes with sponsor not credible??

I THINK d mistake I made was trying to be over confident with TWO sponsors. My main sponsor already said I was alright with her documents and balance. But I wanted to be soooo sure I wldnt have issues.

Thats not The reason. If any of your sponsors was good enough, then you should not be denied for reason sponsor not credible. Except their dependants and balance in account doesn't satisfy their ability to sponsor you or so CDHC assumes.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 3 by blink6(m): 12:04am On Dec 11, 2012
log1:
I thought you wanted to write another SSCE next year therefore looking towards 2014 entry? I stand to be corrected bro
was confirming for someone. it next year for ME,,, by God's grace
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 3 by Jokzoh: 1:27am On Dec 11, 2012
lillaowow: Reading through d thread and smiling...
Now to d gist

In your affidavit of support letter(s), did you state what each sponsor was going to be responsible for? Like A is going to pay rent and B pay tuition? Did you make them write the letters? Did you use "just" a notary public or a court oath stamp thing? Did you explain the relationship between the sponsors and yourself? And why they wanted to sponsor you? These are some of the holes most left in their applications for CAHC to fill in for them. Fill in the holes and re-fire. God help us!
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 3 by DonCipher: 1:39am On Dec 11, 2012
humanshado:
Masters in Chemical Engineering (U of Regina, U of British Columbia); Masters in Petroleum Engineering (U of Calgary). This is going to be my second master's degree though. I already have an MSc from the UK in 2010 in a different subject. I hope this will not be a problem when I apply for visa.

I guess giving details about your educational history and why u're opting for a master's and not PHD would help the house on how to advise u.
log1:
You dont have problem has long you dont make reference to the first master degree you had in Uk
Please do not even think of attempting this, what would u tell CDHC u were doing during that period of master's or how would u not mention a visa that's in your passport.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 3 by Siga: 1:50am On Dec 11, 2012
humanshado:

.....U might want to reconsider going for a second Masters degree....but if u insist on going for the second Masters degree....u will have to explain why and what prompted ur decision....ur travel history is no problem....just ensure u detail everything one by one and make sure the dates match wella and overlap wella....fail to mention any travel history at ur own peril....I wont advise my enemy to lie about that when all the stamps dey ur passport....I reckon on the US trend a lady that went for Tourism Visa at the US embassy and the interviewer asked her if she is pregnant.....and she said Yes, then asked her if she plans to have the baby in US...and she said Yes again....and to God be the Glory, she was given 2yrs visa....so, I beg, dont lie...at least if u go lie, make sure say na calculated one and u stick to it like Abiola stuck to June 12......God bless u.....

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 3 by DonCipher: 2:00am On Dec 11, 2012
lilaowow:
she was SOOOO certain I'd get it (in fact she traveled wit my Tuition, I was amazed when I saw it)...

My observation thus:
1. Probably CDHC verified your sponsors accounts but like u said ur sponsor travelled with ur tuition so they couldn't see the money stated in account.
2. From the docs u submitted, u indicated ur brother (Co-sponsor) had less than 100K if i'm right in his acct because he had withdrawn a large sum for business but he had good inflow & outflow. Putting 1 & 2 together, CDHC just assumed.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 3 by DonCipher: 2:12am On Dec 11, 2012

Harry
MSc. graduate
University of Regina.
@Siga, please i didn't get ur explanation on #5..."You need to start building ur credit history"
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 3 by Siga: 2:12am On Dec 11, 2012
lillaowow:

Infact....u dont have a problem....this is good problem my family.....all u need to do is have ur sponsors to make sure there acct has a nice balance next time....as indicated by CDHC....they said insufficient acct balance....they made it simple for u.....fix the issue....and u will be fine....I will go back to my story....when I was first refused, it was insufficient funds....and I got me a second sponsor.....fix all dem story and was granted visa....so, fix the wahala, but write a solid supporting letter and advise both sponsors to do so....it is well.....
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 3 by Siga: 2:16am On Dec 11, 2012
Don Cipher:
@Siga, please i didn't get ur explanation on #5...
...My very Don.....

Problem with #5 is that once u carry credit card for hand....and u get carried away....bros, na hole u dey dig for yaself oooo....cos, credit card companies go dey increase ur limit and before u know it....u are $40,000 in debt....so, be very careful....during ur orientation and all...u might see banks holding symposiums and explaining how the Canadian banking works and trying to have you open accts with them.....the thing is u guys come with 2k, 5k and some even come with 10k....so with that kinda balance....the bank will offer u at least $500 credit card ...and u get sucked in and kill urself with gbese.....so, be careful....
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 3 by DonCipher: 2:27am On Dec 11, 2012
[quote author=Siga][/quote]
Thanks, just didn't want to assume i understood. The best option is never to use the card & spend cash like a confirm naija - that way @ least person go know whn money don dey finish for im pocket.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 3 by Siga: 2:29am On Dec 11, 2012
Don Cipher:
Thanks, just didn't want to assume i understood. The best option is never to use the card & spend cash like a confirm naija - that way @ least person go know whn money don dey finish for im pocket.
...U need to use the card....use it and pay back within 30days...before ur biling cycle...u need to use it to build ur credit history....u need it...its a necessary evil....caution is the watch word...
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 3 by DonCipher: 2:38am On Dec 11, 2012
[quote author=Siga][/quote]
Billing cycle? What is the benefit of the credit history?
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 3 by Siga: 2:42am On Dec 11, 2012
Don Cipher:
Billing cycle? What is the benefit of the credit history?
...no be small thing....some jobs check ur credit worthiness....buying a house, starting a business....getting phone plans (u can get some carriers without it)...u can google it to learn more....
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 3 by DonCipher: 2:50am On Dec 11, 2012
Ok...would do that

(1) (2) (3) ... (246) (247) (248) (249) (250) (251) (252) ... (404)

Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / USA Visit Visa Part 4 / General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.