Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,450 members, 7,950,937 topics. Date: Tuesday, 17 September 2024 at 07:15 AM

Travelling To Canada Part 3 - Travel (340) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Travelling To Canada Part 3 (521638 Views)

Travelling To Canada Part 9 / Travelling To Canada Part 8 / Travelling To Canada Part 7 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (337) (338) (339) (340) (341) (342) (343) ... (404) (Go Down)

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 3 by earthgreeners(m): 8:57pm On Jan 26, 2013
seedgie: Thanks guys, mcgill and BC final answer? Lol. He has cgpa of 4.38 so i want to tell him to apply for the two schools but i fancy mcgill sha....

He should apply to the 3 schools but his priority list should be;....

1) McGill University
2) University Of British Columbia
3) University of Saskatchewan
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 3 by luckyDon1: 9:08pm On Jan 26, 2013
rashypep:

thanks lucky, how about in the case where by the sponsor is not self employed. and what does form c02 and co7 means
the forms C02 and C07 are forms that are issued by the corporate affairs commission,it accompanies the certificate of incorporation...but since your sponsor is not self employed,he will not use it because its basically for biz people...what he needs is his letter of employment,bank statements and his pay slips showing how much he earns monthly.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 3 by freshdude: 10:03pm On Jan 26, 2013
seedgie: Prof. Siga and all d gurus i greet you oo! Pls what is your take on these schools MSc in food science. Mcgill uni, uni guelph, uni british columbia, and uni skekachawen in terms of ranking cos my guy just got a blank cheque to study in Ca.
Mcgill all day eerday. But I will advise he apply to the 3 skools, if possible 4 since you said his got a blank cheque. So application fee shouldn't be a constraint.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 3 by freshdude: 10:17pm On Jan 26, 2013
earthgreeners:

@Siga, why would you choose McGill instead of UBC?
Mcgill used to be the best skool in canada, before uni of toronto took over. wink their standard is fleeping high, Nigerians no dey go there anyhow. How many people u see for Nl wey tell u say them dey go mcgill or them get admission for mcgill. If ur head no strong academically, just run away from skools like mcgill.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 3 by Onyeoma3: 10:25pm On Jan 26, 2013
seedgie: Thanks guys, mcgill and BC final answer? Lol. He has cgpa of 4.38 so i want to tell him to apply for the two schools but i fancy mcgill sha....

Lemme call a friend...eeeemmmmmmm.....hold on.....well....my gud friend,ur choice b/w the 2 schools now stretches into the environment of the schools and the research field ur friend wants to go into cos they're both top ranking schools in the world...
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 3 by Cuddlemii: 10:30pm On Jan 26, 2013
freshdude:
Mcgill used to be the best skool in canada, before uni of toronto took over. wink their standard is fleeping high, Nigerians no dey go there anyhow. How many people u see for Nl wey tell u say them dey go mcgill or them get admission for mcgill. If ur head no strong academically, just run away from skools like mcgill.

Its not only about being academically strong. A lot of factors are put into consideration during the admission process. If for example you are applying for an MBA and an interview session is conducted via Skype. If your communication skills suck or you don't have distinguished skills and that unique factor, you wont get admitted even with a 5 point cgpa. A lot of people have been able to get into top schools including the Ivy leagues with the way they package their application, their essays and how they responded to interviews. Besides, they know the composition they want in a class, they wont want people from the same discipline, gender etc., they usually want a class with a balanced demographic profile.

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 3 by abnice2004: 10:35pm On Jan 26, 2013
Tanks for ur response. Wot of uni winnipeg?
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 3 by abnice2004: 10:37pm On Jan 26, 2013
earthgreeners:

Memorial University of Newfoundland
www.mun.ca

University of Prince Edward Island
www.upei.ca

University of Saskatchewan
www.usask.ca

University of Manitoba
www.umanitoba.ca

University of Regina
www.uregina.ca

Brandon University

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 3 by abnice2004: 10:39pm On Jan 26, 2013
Wot of uni winnipeg?
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 3 by Dehonourable: 11:11pm On Jan 26, 2013
Hi earth greener. Pls, I dnt seems to understand d figure I saw on uni Saska & Mun webistes. Can u pls tell me d exact tuitn fees for Msc Enginerring jst want to be sure because d figures ar confusing. Pls, I need d info 4rm any peeps here.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 3 by Dehonourable: 11:31pm On Jan 26, 2013
nourable: 11:11pm
Hi earth greener. Pls, I dnt seems to understand d figure I saw on uni Saska & Mun webistes. Can u pls tell me d exact tuitn fees for Msc Enginerring jst want to be sure because d figures ar confusing. Pls, I need d info 4rm any peeps here.for eg, on Mun website I saw program fee 953cad$ per semester ie 953*6 = 5,718 plus 16,400cad$. My questn is does dat mean d total tuitn for 2yrs Msc engr is 22kcad$?
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 3 by earthgreeners(m): 12:40am On Jan 27, 2013
abnice2004: Wot of uni winnipeg?

University of Winnipeg is also good....I have a friend studying there now..he is a brother on dis forum...
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 3 by Dehonourable: 6:44am On Jan 27, 2013
Hi earth greener. Pls, I dnt seems to understand d figure I saw on uni Saska & Mun webistes. Can u pls tell me d exact tuitn fees for Msc Enginerring jst want to be sure because d figures ar confusing. Pls, I need d info 4rm any peeps here.for eg, on Mun website I saw program fee 953cad$ per semester ie 953*6 = 5,718 plus 16,400cad$. My questn is does dat mean d total tuitn for 2yrs Msc engr is 22kcad$?
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 3 by xtus(m): 10:07am On Jan 27, 2013
Dehonourable: nourable: 11:11pm

University of Saskatchewan $17,348.
Memorial University $5,718

The cost above are ur likely tuition fees for 1year
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 3 by slamdunk99(m): 11:56am On Jan 27, 2013
Cuddlemii:

Its not only about being academically strong. A lot of factors are put into consideration during the admission process. If for example you are applying for an MBA and an interview session is conducted via Skype. If your communication skills suck or you don't have distinguished skills and that unique factor, you wont get admitted even with a 5 point cgpa. A lot of people have been able to get into top schools including the Ivy leagues with the way they package their application, their essays and how they responded to interviews. Besides, they know the composition they want in a class, they wont want people from the same discipline, gender etc., they usually want a class with a balanced demographic profile.
Totally agree with this submission. Its all about packaging your application properly. U of T, McGill n UBC are the top 3 in Canada and are thus very competitive. In my Faculty, I was the only black admitted in my cohort(talk less of Nigerian). In fact I was advised by someone not to apply to UBC cos I may not be admitted (thereby wasting C$153 app fee.....very much abi!)......but my stronghead no gree ne accept that defeat before even trying. I applied to UBC, SFU, U of A ans U of Sask and got accepted to U of Sask n UBC. UBC turned out to be the Cheaper (automatic international partial tuition scholarship)and better option by far. My advice, apply to 3 or 4 schools, select based on ranking (reason i chose UBC), previous history of admitting Nigerians(for my course SF, U of Sask), the schools reputation with your course (SFU and U of A). Applying to only UBC and McGill, i must tell u, is a dangerous game to play even with GP or 4.4 ( u will not believe the kind of GPs the Chinese students apply with in UBC). Don't forget to pay attention to every detail in your application......All the best smiley

2 Likes

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 3 by rashypep(m): 1:40pm On Jan 27, 2013
lucky Don: the forms C02 and C07 are forms that are issued by the corporate affairs commission,it accompanies the certificate of incorporation...but since your sponsor is not self employed,he will not use it because its basically for biz people...what he needs is his letter of employment,bank statements and his pay slips showing how much he earns monthly.

copy that, thanks lucky.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 3 by biggybanking: 6:32pm On Jan 27, 2013
@ seedgie,Ʊ saw I said someone τ̅☺ motivate,dat is 2 say I need one who is experienced.but the guy Ijn or wareva sounded rude in his post. Am sorry dough,but commenting on someones post is not mandatory.if Ʊ can help me say so!otherwise my post shuld be left! Am sorry dough we are all looking 4 a way foward. Apologies......
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 3 by Siga: 7:25pm On Jan 27, 2013
biggybanking: @ seedgie,Ʊ saw I said someone τ̅☺ motivate,dat is 2 say I need one who is experienced.but the guy Ijn or wareva sounded rude in his post. Am sorry dough,but commenting on someones post is not mandatory.if Ʊ can help me say so!otherwise my post shuld be left! Am sorry dough we are all looking 4 a way foward. Apologies......
...Bro...here on Travel to Canada....we are all families, aight....we respond to each and every post as if it were ours....u need to be cordial...if u believe someone is being rude to u and u do the same, how are u different from whoever u said wronged u? .....In this family of ours, we emit respect and educate ourselves wella.....FYI, we even go beyond helping out before visa, but way after visa....I have met a few members here even after they got to Canada.... had and still calling, mailing and meeting guys from here....so, be calm and respective...it is well...I understand u are passionate, but dont let it take the best of u.... it is well....

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 3 by uchechuwku: 8:08pm On Jan 27, 2013
Jokzoh: I WANT TO PUBLISH MY SOP....Its not for you to copy and paste but to use as a guideline.NB: Its not also the best out there but it worked for me....

26/06/2012

The Canadian Embassy,
Visa Office,
P. O Box 54506,
Ikoyi Station,
Lagos, Nigeria.

Dear Sir/Ma,

Statement of Purpose

My maternal grandfather was a crude entrepreneur. I still have clear memories of him. I can still remember watching him making business decisions and I used to discuss my business ideas with him. As small as I was then, he never looked down on me. He would ask for my suggestion on new business ideas. I can still remember my grandfather telling me: What a good businessman you are going to make, Opelayor. I never really wanted to do anything else but I dabbled into Science after my JSS3 just because Commercial and Art classes were ignorantly dimmed inferior to Science in my secondary school. Fast-forward years later, I realised that I did not have the burning desire to become a practicing engineer. The profession did not interest me; it was my perception of the profession that had caught my fancy.
Since my graduation, I have been doing quite fine investing in small businesses. But unlike my grandfather, I wanted to take Nigeria’s economic landscape by storm. I have spent a lot of time looking for information on search-engines, the outline of the course-International Business Management, coupled with the excellent reputation of Fanshawe College are my main reasons for choosing Canada. I am especially interested in gaining an insight into the thinking, doctrines and techniques of the International Business Management. Luckily for me, as a graduate engineer I can still delve into Management. With a reputable school like Fanshawe College and a course like International Business Management which exposes students to the nitty-gritty of Business management, I will be able to hone my entrepreneurial and enterprising skills.
Over the years, I have learnt as much practical entrepreneurial skills as I did in Mechanical engineering. The subject matter of the two learning experiences were, of course, very different; but I was engaged in developing my business skills as much as I was in learning Engineering. My long time business/investment experiences have provided a thorough exposure to the various specialties available in Business management, thus stimulating interest in International Business Management. As an undergraduate, I was able to manage and earn good returns on my stock portfolio(see stock documents) running into over a million naira (N1,000,000.00). Though it took a hit after the Nigerian Stock market nearly crashed I have been able to inject an additional four hundred thousand naira (N 400,000.00) after the near-crash to nullify the effect of the hit. This is a smart move as the glossy prospect of the Nigerian economy remains of one of the world’s best kept secret.
Goal-wise, I wish to expand my views on business and international management. Presently I am into tricycle leasing, which has been very encouraging. I came up with the idea last year during my NYSC with my brother (Sponsor). I realised that the reason leasing businesses was not thriving in Nigeria is because of the selfish interest of investors/lessors. I then came up with an idea to let the lessee take total possession of the tricycle after a certain period of time to give them a sense of belonging and this has worked like magic. There has been no single default payment on the twelve (12) tricycles I presently leased out. However, I plan to return back to Nigeria after my studies to harness the various business and investment potentials that are begging for attention in Nigeria that only foreign investors have been able to take advantage of. My long-term goal is to own a leasing company that would rival the likes of Arval leasing company and Lease link of Canada.
I believe in my abilities and I know I have all it takes to succeed in Nigeria. [b]This is not a ploy to abscond from my country [/b]but a step in life to sharpen my knowledge to becoming a well-rounded and polished person both in education and life. I also look forward to experiencing the different foods, lifestyle and culture of the people of Canada.
Thanks in anticipation of your positive consideration.

Yours Sincerely,

Xxxxxx xxxx.

My brother was my sponsor and he only sworn to pay tuition and accommodation in the Affidavit ot support letter. I got my TRV!
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 3 by Emblem(m): 9:01pm On Jan 27, 2013
Siga: ...Bro...here on Travel to Canada....we are all families, aight....we respond to each and every post as if it were ours....u need to be cordial...if u believe someone is being rude to u and u do the same, how are u different from whoever u said wronged u? .....In this family of ours, we emit respect and educate ourselves wella.....FYI, we even go beyond helping out before visa, but way after visa....I have met a few members here even after they got to Canada.... had and still calling, mailing and meeting guys from here....so, be calm and respective...it is well...I understand u are passionate, but dont let it take the best of u.... it is well....

sadBaba, U̶̲̥̅̊ never reply my email since ystday.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 3 by vooz(f): 9:07pm On Jan 27, 2013
Hello house,I applied to usask for fall 2013 start date MPH graduate program awaiting admission.Am currently serving and from the look of things,may likely not submit my Nysc certificate to d embasssy as i would be passing-out by oct.Pls,I really want to know if the nysc certificate is really of utmost importance in my application package.Tnx
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 3 by Siga: 9:17pm On Jan 27, 2013
Emblem:

sadBaba, U̶̲̥̅̊ never reply my email since ystday.
...Sorry Oga....I go check am now and reply pronto
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 3 by TRVIJN: 10:08pm On Jan 27, 2013
Sorry bro if I sounded rude, I apologise.
biggybanking: @ seedgie,Ʊ saw I said someone τ̅☺ motivate,dat is 2 say I need one who is experienced.but the guy Ijn or wareva sounded rude in his post. Am sorry dough,but commenting on someones post is not mandatory.if Ʊ can help me say so!otherwise my post shuld be left! Am sorry dough we are all looking 4 a way foward. Apologies......

2 Likes

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 3 by luckyDon1: 10:13pm On Jan 27, 2013
vooz: Hello house,I applied to usask for fall 2013 start date MPH graduate program awaiting admission.Am currently serving and from the look of things,may likely not submit my Nysc certificate to d embasssy as i would be passing-out by oct.Pls,I really want to know if the nysc certificate is really of utmost importance in my application package.Tnx
i am a serving corp member(batch A)...u dont have any problem at all.What u will do is to attach your photocpy of your nysc identity card and a photocopy of your call up letter.U can include your photographs that u snaped in your nysc attire.Just include it in your application and u are good to go..thats what i did.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 3 by lus5(f): 12:16am On Jan 28, 2013
xtus:

University of Saskatchewan $17,348.
Memorial University $5,718

The cost above are ur likely tuition fees for 1year

For memorial it depends on your courses (credit hour stuff).......abt 15,000 for a year.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 3 by Dehonourable: 2:46am On Jan 28, 2013
My course in Mun is Msc.Oil and Gas engr. While in Uni Saska is Msc Chemical engr.but 4rm wot I saw on Mum website, Msc Oil & gas engr is 5,718 usd per year/3semesters. Uni Saska is 17kusd for d entire program ie 2yrs/6semesters
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 3 by Invincible1: 4:16am On Jan 28, 2013
Jokzoh...Nice SOP, you sure say no be Journalism you suppose dey study so?....lol

very narrative and captivating....you try.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 3 by Invincible1: 4:39am On Jan 28, 2013
Hi all, I was at the Lagos leg of the Canada Education fair on Saturday the 26th mainly to attend the visa application seminar. I did not learn anything significantly different from all that's been discussed on this forum.

However,the major info I got which explains the delay in Visa processing times is that there are only two Visa officers processing the Canadian visa applications of the whole Naija applicants ....whether it be student, tourist, Visiting, etc visas. You can imagine our shock. Even though from time to time they get external assistance for about 6 weeks or thereabout to clear the heavy backlog that they inevitably had gathered but that is still no consolation. I mean they really need to increase the number of their Visa processors on a permanent basis not just getting occasional temporary assistance.

Also, CDHC will soon start E-applications -I think this should be in the month of March or May,I can't remember when exactly but before October this year when the Biometrics requirements will also come into effect.

The good news about the E-application is that apart from filling and submitting the application forms,Questionnaire etc online, you will only have to scan and upload all your documents-including the data page of your International passport online. So, no more CDHC holding unto your Int'l passports for ever.

However, if they are not clear about any of your documents they will write you and ask to see the Original copies. Also very importantly,when they are very certain that they want to issue an applicant the TRV, they will request for Him/Her to submit the Original Int'l passport for them to view/sight and at the same time place the TRV in it.

Hope we find these information useful.

4 Likes

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 3 by DonCipher: 5:01am On Jan 28, 2013
Invincible1: Hi all, I was at the Lagos leg of the Canada Education fair on Saturday the 26th mainly to attend the visa application seminar. I did not learn anything significantly different from all that's been discussed on this forum.

However,the major info I got which explains the delay in Visa processing times is that there are only two Visa officers processing the Canadian visa applications of the whole Naija applicants ....whether it be student, tourist, Visiting, etc visas. You can imagine our shock.

Also, CDHC will soon start E-applications -I think this should be in the month of March or May,I can't remember when exactly but before October this year when the Biometrics requirements will also come into effect.

The good news about the E-application is that apart from filling and submitting the application forms,Questionnaire etc online, you will only have to scan and upload all your documents-including the data page of your International passport online. So, no more CDHC holding unto your Int'l passports for ever.

However, if they are not clear about any of your documents they will write you and ask to see the Original copies. Also very importantly,when they are very certain that they want to issue an applicant the TRV, they will request for Him/Her to submit the Original Int'l passport for them to view/sight and at the same time place the TRV in it.

Thanks a lot, the information makes a lot of sense...
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 3 by xtus(m): 7:26am On Jan 28, 2013
Invincible1: Hi all, I was at the Lagos leg of the Canada Education fair on Saturday the 26th mainly to attend the visa application seminar. I did not learn anything significantly different from all that's been discussed on this forum.

However,the major info I got which explains the delay in Visa processing times is that there are only two Visa officers processing the Canadian visa applications of the whole Naija applicants ....whether it be student, tourist, Visiting, etc visas. You can imagine our shock.

thanks for the info......... Although it sucks to hear dat only 2 VISA OFFICER is in charge of processing the entire application but is also a relief to hear d E-application dat is coming so.
God bless u for d info
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 3 by Dehonourable: 7:55am On Jan 28, 2013
My course in Mun is Msc.Oil and Gas engr. While in Uni Saska is Msc Chemical engr.but 4rm wot I saw on Mun website, Msc Oil & gas engr is 5,718 usd per year/3semesters. Uni Saska is 17kusd for d entire program ie 2yrs/6semester.hop Am am nt wrong
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 3 by kenniy(m): 9:31am On Jan 28, 2013
please, anyone currently in uOttawa on here?? need to get directions on housing issues..

(1) (2) (3) ... (337) (338) (339) (340) (341) (342) (343) ... (404)

Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / USA Visit Visa Part 4 / General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.