Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,180,484 members, 7,911,139 topics. Date: Monday, 05 August 2024 at 05:22 AM

Obafemi Awolowo’s Letter From Prison (dated 28th March 1966) - Politics (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obafemi Awolowo’s Letter From Prison (dated 28th March 1966) (38718 Views)

James Ibori Released From Prison, Reasted / Gowon's Son JackMusa Released From Prison In U.S / Awolowo's Letter Of Resignation To Yakubu Gowon. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Obafemi Awolowo’s Letter From Prison (dated 28th March 1966) by ACM10: 8:01pm On Jun 29, 2012
Chei! Someone is really bitter o. grin He claims that the interview from a principal actor should be discarded, while the tales of his obscure "balanced" historian should be believed as an authentic account. He enters a debate with a predetermined opinion. He uses strongarm tactics to bully everyone that believes otherwise. He doesn't respect the views of other people. He prides himself as NL intellectual. grin He can descend so low to quote articles from gossip sites. I can only feel sorry for you.
Re: Obafemi Awolowo’s Letter From Prison (dated 28th March 1966) by Dede1(m): 8:09pm On Jun 29, 2012
ACM10: Chei! Someone are really bitter o. grin He claims that the interview from a principal actor should be discarded, while the tales of his obscure "balanced" historian should be believed as an authentic account. He enters a debate with a predetermined opinion. He uses strongarm tactics to bully everyone that believes otherwise. He doesn't respect the views of other people. He prides himself as NL intellectual. grin He can descend so low to quote articles from gossip sites. I can only feel sorry for you.

What else do you expect from a person who thinks Ubani (Bonny) was part of Mid-western region of Nigeria and we should count August before July?
Re: Obafemi Awolowo’s Letter From Prison (dated 28th March 1966) by Katsumoto: 8:26pm On Jun 29, 2012
Dede1

You can keep trying to use word play to befuddle the argument but i will my eye on the ball. To suggest that there were no bini, yoruba, ishan, itshekiri in the armed forces before 1966 is silly. That was never in question. The fact is that there was a recruitment drive after the biafran incursion. Similarly to how many young boys join the military when there is war just like duri g WW2 and after september 11.

I will respond in full later as i am on my fone.
Re: Obafemi Awolowo’s Letter From Prison (dated 28th March 1966) by Dede1(m): 8:45pm On Jun 29, 2012
Katsumoto: Dede1

You can keep trying to use word play to befuddle the argument but i will my eye on the ball. To suggest that there were no bini, yoruba, ishan, itshekiri in the armed forces before 1966 is silly. That was never in question. The fact is that there was a recruitment drive after the biafran incursion. Similarly to how many young boys join the military when there is war just like duri g WW2 and after september 11.

I will respond in full later as i am on my fone.

Silliness lies with moronic dimwit who remotely thought western region was under occupation by Nigerian soldiers from northern region in 1966. And by extension, Yoruba and its allies in southern provinces of Nigeria could not stand up to Gowon and soldiers from northern because there was no Yoruba or Edo or Ishan or Urhobo or Itsekiri or Ijo or Ejagam or Efik in uniform of Nigerian armed forces colors. In addition, these aforementioned ethnic groups begged Gowon and northern regional political elite to be allowed into Nigerian armed forces because of Biafra or fear of Biafran nation. What a silly conjecture.

Why did they fail to, at least, stage a public demonstration against Gowon and Nigerian armed forces when Biafra was being attacked in July of 1967?
Re: Obafemi Awolowo’s Letter From Prison (dated 28th March 1966) by PhysicsQED(m): 10:34pm On Jun 29, 2012
These kinds of discussions go back to the same stuff, over and over again, with both sides talking past each other and with old stories being repeated time and again. At a certain point I imagine it must get boring.

Dede1, I noticed you didn't answer my follow up question and seem to be ignoring it.

Well if you can at least explain in very simple and clear terms why you are under the impression that in 1951, the candidates of every party everywhere had to run "under the platform" (whatever that means exactly) of some (presumably) larger party, I would appreciate it.
Re: Obafemi Awolowo’s Letter From Prison (dated 28th March 1966) by PhysicsQED(m): 10:42pm On Jun 29, 2012
The 2nd and 3rd Divisions of the Nigerian army of 1966 were swelled by officers and ranks drawn from Yoruba, Edo, Itsekiri. Ishan, Urhobo, Ejagam, Ijo and Efik peeps in a calculated anticipation of invasion of Biafra by Nigeria.

Last time I asked for a source of verification for a claim which was similar to this one I was told to go and ask the Nigerian army. When I asked how exactly I should get such information confirming the particular claim from the Nigerian army, I met a wall of silence. Let's hope it's different this time. Dede1, since you have a database/lists, and this database is probably the basis of the "educated assumption" that the above is true, can you just give direct evidence of this from your lists so that you won't be questioned about this claim's veracity in the future?
Re: Obafemi Awolowo’s Letter From Prison (dated 28th March 1966) by rhymz(m): 10:43pm On Jun 29, 2012
Dede1:

Silliness lies with moronic dimwit who remotely thought western region was under occupation by Nigerian soldiers from northern region in 1966. And by extension, Yoruba and its allies in southern provinces of Nigeria could not stand up to Gowon and soldiers from northern because there was no Yoruba or Edo or Ishan or Urhobo or Itsekiri or Ijo or Ejagam or Efik in uniform of Nigerian armed forces colors. In addition, these aforementioned ethnic groups begged Gowon and northern regional political elite to be allowed into Nigerian armed forces because of Biafra or fear of Biafran nation. What a silly conjecture.

Why did they fail to, at least, stage a public demonstration against Gowon and Nigerian armed forces when Biafra was being attacked in July of 1967?

he is prolly reading from the books of his favourite revisionist authors for answers. .lol I have lost respect for this katsumoto guy walahi!!! Intellectual my backside, reading books that supports his pre- determined stance makes him look fly to the likes of ileke idi and her small- minded likes. Anyway, if his authors conveniently left out this part of the argument in their books for lack of logical rationalizational, he could google it up as it is obvious he must win the argument and impress his host of admiring chairleading dumbos. . . . The Ultimate man, ngwanu!!
Re: Obafemi Awolowo’s Letter From Prison (dated 28th March 1966) by rhymz(m): 10:48pm On Jun 29, 2012
rhymz: he is prolly reading from the books of his favourite revisionist authors for answers. .lol
I have lost respect for this katsumoto guy walahi!!!
Intellectual my backside, reading books that supports his pre-determined stance makes him look fly to the likes of ileke idi and her small-minded likes.
Anyway, if his authors conveniently left out this part of the argument in their books for lack of logical rationalizational, he could google it up as it is obvious he must win the argument and impress his host of admiring chairleading dumbos. . . . The Ultimate man, ngwanu!!
Re: Obafemi Awolowo’s Letter From Prison (dated 28th March 1966) by orufe: 11:33pm On Jun 29, 2012
Na waa for this sort of thread.
When chaps compare Awo, Obasa njo and Abi ola, they vever comment on who is more cowardly.
From this thread, I can conclude that Awo is is the most cowardly among the trio.
Obasa njo and Abi ola never begged while in prison.
The diff is clear.
Re: Obafemi Awolowo’s Letter From Prison (dated 28th March 1966) by T9ksy(m): 12:29am On Jun 30, 2012
Katsumoto:

Not quite capable; significantly more capable is a better phrase. See excerpts of the report prepared by the Colonial Secretary following the conferences in 1957-1958. Those who are unable to provide competent administration in their homes should be prevented from administering at home let alone administering outside it.

Kats, that's goes without saying especially when one consider the example of UPE in western nigeria which was also attempted in the east but folded up within a year. However, i just didn't want to follow the chest-beating exercise that our ibo brothers are well-known for.

Anyway, back at the ranch, my point still remains the same which is that, pending the submission of alternative election result for the western region in 1951, we can all safely accept that NCNC did not win that election and as such, there was no carpet-crossing in yorubaland. I believe therefore that Dede, ACM10 and their fellow co-travellers in this bus of deceit should henceforth desist from peddling these atrocious lies and also tender an unequivocal apology to the yorubas in general and the late Awo, in particular for calling them, tribalists.

Why do you guys find it so hard to be sincere, for once? You lot have been caught out in a lie and instead of just admitting it and moving on, you all chose to ignore it whilst talking about the mundane. This is one of the reasons why it will be almost impossible for we yorubas to have any meaningful r/ship with you guys. you label us tribalists yet you have no proof to back up your assertions but still maintain we are all tribalists when in actual fact, its you guys who brought tribalism into our political horizon when you killed off NYM, the only political party in the country then with a national flavour.

ACM10, have you been to your village yet to check your g/mother's library for your version of the 1951 election result in the western region of nigeria? As for you dede, i won't bother asking you for the umptenth time as it's obvious now that you have nothing of that such though that still doesn't stop you from propagating this falacious tales on a public forum like NL. Like i said to you earlier, you are a shameless pathological liar with no iota of credibility, whatsoever.
Re: Obafemi Awolowo’s Letter From Prison (dated 28th March 1966) by Katsumoto: 5:50am On Jun 30, 2012
Dede1:

What else do you expect from a person who thinks Ubani (Bonny) was part of Mid-western region of Nigeria and we should count August before July?

One of the problems with you is that you are incapable of speaking straight and you in turn project such ambiguous positions on to others. At what point did I state that Bonny was part of the mid-west or that August comes before July.

This debate is a very clear one and you keep trying to blur the lines so as to confuse the undiscerning reader. Let me try to break down all the various points

1. Has anyone claimed that there were no Yoruba, Bini, Itshekiri, Ishan, Urhobo, etc soldiers in the Armed forces before 1966?
2. Has anyone claimed that these soldiers (including Biafran sons) who were employed by the Nigerian armed forces were not deployed to battle stations before the Biafran incursion to the mid-west?
3. Did Biafran forces include new recruits, some very young boys?
4. Is it possible that the proportion of non-Biafran southerners increased in the Armed Forces after the Biafran incursion?

The problem with your position is that you are bent on believing that other Southerners were against Biafra simply because their sons who were in the armed forces before the war and who had sworn allegiance to Nigeria fought against Biafra even before Biafra invaded the mid-west. Were you expecting all non-Biafran southern soldiers to resign en mass instead of fighting against Biafra? Is that what your position is all about? It is unfortunate that you wish to view this issue as black or white. Your skewed position ignores the following

1. Biafran sons fought against Biafra; why do you exclude them from blame?
2. The actions of other Yoruba sons such as Soyinka who went to prison for 26 months, Col Ariyo who resigned his position or the Ijebu farmers who were crushed by Col. Ochefu while protesting against the war.

Please respond in clear language; what were you expecting of non-Biafran southerners in the armed forces at the start of hostilities?
Re: Obafemi Awolowo’s Letter From Prison (dated 28th March 1966) by Katsumoto: 6:05am On Jun 30, 2012
Dede1:

And as usual, you failed to address the post but proceeded to introduce irrelevant information. I stated that there was a mass recruitment after the Biafran incursion and you replied that someone was conjecturing that southern citizens couldn't stand up to Gowon and were begging Gowon to allow them into the forces. Where did you read that in my post? If someone else made that conjecture, then direct the response above to them and not to me.

Biafra decided to go to war despite being warned by both internal and external forces; but you were exoecting people on the streets demonstrating when Ojukwu had decided to settle scores on the battle field? The facts are that no one begged Gowon to enlist; many Yoruba and mid-westerners joined the forces after the Biafran incursion into the midwest and the debacle at Ore. It is your prerogative whether you refuse to accept this point.

I challenge you to provide a book, link, article that states that recruitment of Southerners into the armed forces started before the Biafran invasion. Please do not disappoint me this time. I appeal to you to please address whats stated in my posts and not what you wish to respond to even if its not stated.

For those interested, please see two articles below confirming that recruitment started after the Biafran invasion.

Although Benin City was retaken by the Nigerians on September 20, the Biafrans succeeded in their primary objective by tying down as many Nigerian Federal troops as they could. Gen. Gowon also launched an offensive from Biafra's south from the delta to riverine area using the bulk of Lagos Garrison command under Col. Adekunle (black scorpion) to form 3 division which latter changed to the 3rd marine commandos. Recruitment into the Nigeria Army increased with Biafra's offensive to the west mostly among other southern ethnics especially Yoruba and Edo people. Four battalions of the Nigerian 2nd Infantry Division were needed to drive the Biafrans back and eliminate their territorial gains made during the offensive. But the Nigerians were repulsed three times and lost thousands of troops as they tried to cross the Niger during October.

http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Nigerian_Civil_War

But in the first three days of the assault, its element of surprise and advantage of speed were completely lost as Banjo sat in Benin arguing with Ojukwu over the appointment of a military governor, while trying to raise an additional battalion from scratch. Meanwhile, Gowon initiated recall of two battalions from Bonny to Escravos. Trains and trailers began bringing additional troops from Kaduna. Units were withdrawn from Nsukka sector. New recruits were hurriedly trained. From Lagos, every roadworthy vehicle that could be commandeered was grabbed to move troops and material to a "Maginot-Line" stretching from Okitipupa to Ore, through Ondo to Owo and on to Okene. A previously positioned company of men from the federal guard led by Lt. Sam Tomoye initially held the ground at Ore until relieved by additional troops from Ibadan led by Captain Geoffrey Ejiga. On August 18, Kano airport was suddenly closed to civilian traffic as a massive air shipment of Russian MIGS arrived along with personnel.
Re: Obafemi Awolowo’s Letter From Prison (dated 28th March 1966) by Katsumoto: 6:15am On Jun 30, 2012
rhymz: he is prolly reading from the books of his favourite revisionist authors for answers. .lol I have lost respect for this katsumoto guy walahi!!! Intellectual my backside, reading books that supports his pre- determined stance makes him look fly to the likes of ileke idi and her small- minded likes. Anyway, if his authors conveniently left out this part of the argument in their books for lack of logical rationalizational, he could google it up as it is obvious he must win the argument and impress his host of admiring chairleading dumbos. . . . The Ultimate man, ngwanu!!

This is supposed to be a debate; ad hominem attacks are unnecessary. I could easily attack your person as well but doing that would distract from my argument and position. My position is clear and if you feel it is wrong or inaccurate, then please provide your argument and something to support it. You are running from pillar to post attacking me and not really addressing any of the points I made. At this point, I am unclear as to what your purpose is on this thread other than to attack me. If that is your only purpose, then I will simply ignore you. I don't have the energy to be entertaining distractions.

I noticed that you jumped in to support Dede's post; that is fine but what is it that you agree with that RUNS contrary to a position I have taken? I have made many posts on this thread; please pick at least one or two that you disagree with and state your position. Posting an essay from Ojukwu with so much information in it that it was difficult to see what point you were trying to make.

I request that you state your position clearly. What do you disagree with and why?

1 Like

Re: Obafemi Awolowo’s Letter From Prison (dated 28th March 1966) by ACM10: 11:27am On Jun 30, 2012
Katsumoto:
I challenge you to provide a book, link, article that states that recruitment of Southerners into the armed forces started before the Biafran invasion. Please do not disappoint me this time.

Gowon had thus taken political initiative. In a swift process of political engineering, Gowon created a new 'Federation' with smaller and more subnational units. This move, was designed to 'correct the imbalance in the administrative structure of the country' and to 'minimize future political friction and ensure a stable federation'. He began to receive a 'flood' of messages of congratulation and support from Nigerians abroad and at home. Many people of Rivers and South-Eastern States origin were seen dancing in Lagos and enlisting en masse into the Federal Army.

GOWON
by J. Isawa Elaigwu
West Books Publisher Limited, Ibadan.
Page 101
Re: Obafemi Awolowo’s Letter From Prison (dated 28th March 1966) by ACM10: 11:40am On Jun 30, 2012
When someone comments on what is so obvious, another poster will tag it personal attack. grin We refuse to be intimidated to silence. The debate must continue no matter what. Who cares if you hit your ignore button or not.
Re: Obafemi Awolowo’s Letter From Prison (dated 28th March 1966) by Dede1(m): 12:07pm On Jun 30, 2012
Katsumoto:

And as usual, you failed to address the post but proceeded to introduce irrelevant information. I stated that there was a mass recruitment after the Biafran incursion and you replied that someone was conjecturing that southern citizens couldn't stand up to Gowon and were begging Gowon to allow them into the forces. Where did you read that in my post? If someone else made that conjecture, then direct the response above to them and not to me.

Biafra decided to go to war despite being warned by both internal and external forces; but you were exoecting people on the streets demonstrating when Ojukwu had decided to settle scores on the battle field? The facts are that no one begged Gowon to enlist; many Yoruba and mid-westerners joined the forces after the Biafran incursion into the midwest and the debacle at Ore. It is your prerogative whether you refuse to accept this point.

I challenge you to provide a book, link, article that states that recruitment of Southerners into the armed forces started before the Biafran invasion. Please do not disappoint me this time. I appeal to you to please address whats stated in my posts and not what you wish to respond to even if its not stated.

For those interested, please see two articles below confirming that recruitment started after the Biafran invasion.

Although Benin City was retaken by the Nigerians on September 20, the Biafrans succeeded in their primary objective by tying down as many Nigerian Federal troops as they could. Gen. Gowon also launched an offensive from Biafra's south from the delta to riverine area using the bulk of Lagos Garrison command under Col. Adekunle (black scorpion) to form 3 division which latter changed to the 3rd marine commandos. Recruitment into the Nigeria Army increased with Biafra's offensive to the west mostly among other southern ethnics especially Yoruba and Edo people. Four battalions of the Nigerian 2nd Infantry Division were needed to drive the Biafrans back and eliminate their territorial gains made during the offensive. But the Nigerians were repulsed three times and lost thousands of troops as they tried to cross the Niger during October.

http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Nigerian_Civil_War

But in the first three days of the assault, its element of surprise and advantage of speed were completely lost as Banjo sat in Benin arguing with Ojukwu over the appointment of a military governor, while trying to raise an additional battalion from scratch. Meanwhile, Gowon initiated recall of two battalions from Bonny to Escravos. Trains and trailers began bringing additional troops from Kaduna. Units were withdrawn from Nsukka sector. New recruits were hurriedly trained. From Lagos, every roadworthy vehicle that could be commandeered was grabbed to move troops and material to a "Maginot-Line" stretching from Okitipupa to Ore, through Ondo to Owo and on to Okene. A previously positioned company of men from the federal guard led by Lt. Sam Tomoye initially held the ground at Ore until relieved by additional troops from Ibadan led by Captain Geoffrey Ejiga. On August 18, Kano airport was suddenly closed to civilian traffic as a massive air shipment of Russian MIGS arrived along with personnel.

It is unfortunate you keep stressing the irrelevant fact about massive recruitment of soldiers by Nigeria after Biafra reacted to the occupation of its territory by Gowon and Nigeria. Of course, there was massive recruitment on both sides after Biafra decided to pay Nigeria back in its coin when it attacked Nigeria through Midwestern region.

Anybody who has been on parade ground would realize that LGO was not up to battalion strength but was built into brigade strength at Escravos, Midwestern region from July 29, 1966 to July 12, 1967. At the period too, Ibadan garrison organization was not up to battalion yet was built up to a division by the aforementioned periods.

My beef in all this historical twist is on the efforts of the goons who are bent on sitting history on its head by repeatedly and foolishly insinuating essence of neutrality on the part of certain section of Nigeria. Those who fought with Nigeria were not mandated as it was for those who fought with Biafra. However, it is beyond human silliness to insinuate that Biafra’s reaction to Nigeria’s incursion into eastern region of Nigeria triggered the fever pitch urge of Yoruba, Edo, Urhobo, Ishan, Itsekiri, Ijo, Ejegam and Efik to serve in Gowon’s Nigerian army of 1967.
Re: Obafemi Awolowo’s Letter From Prison (dated 28th March 1966) by Dede1(m): 12:29pm On Jun 30, 2012
ACM10:

GOWON
by J. Isawa Elaigwu
West Books Publisher Limited, Ibadan.
Page 101

Do not pay any mind to Katsumoto when he throws those ridiculous challenges after being fed with junks written by enemies of Biafra and those who would do anything humanly possible to justify their utter stupidity for joining force with Gowon Nigeria.

Sometimes I wonder why most southern Nigerians shun books about the Nigeria/Biafra civil war written by authors such as J. Isawa Elaigwu or Bala Usman who had no reason to justify their actions during the civil war. As far as I concerned, the water has gone under the bridge and there nothing anybody could do in order to germinate seed of unity and camaraderie among the people of southern provinces of Nigeria.
Re: Obafemi Awolowo’s Letter From Prison (dated 28th March 1966) by CyberG: 12:38pm On Jun 30, 2012
Some people like this ^^ will kaput talking gibberish forever with nothing to show for it! History is established facts of the past and facts are stubborn things that cannot be re-written! cool cool
Re: Obafemi Awolowo’s Letter From Prison (dated 28th March 1966) by Dede1(m): 12:51pm On Jun 30, 2012
CyberG: Some people like this ^^ will kaput talking gibberish forever with nothing to show for it! History is established facts of the past and facts are stubborn things that cannot be re-written! cool cool

Shut up your putrid mouth young man. What do you know about history and established facts?
Re: Obafemi Awolowo’s Letter From Prison (dated 28th March 1966) by Katsumoto: 12:57pm On Jun 30, 2012
ACM

It appears you are either blind or unable to comprehend. You posted a link stating that biafrans were joining enmass to fight against biafra. Or rivers and southeastern states were not part of biafra?

I am surprised dede missed that as well and as already affirmed that elaigwu was an unbiased writer. cheesy

Talk about scoring an own goal. A biafran providing a link that biafrans enlisted enmass to fight biafra. Plus they were dancing and partying as well as gowon prepared for action.
Re: Obafemi Awolowo’s Letter From Prison (dated 28th March 1966) by pazienza(m): 1:13pm On Jun 30, 2012
So,the lie that lagos and western region was under siege has been finally bursted. Dede and ACM,u guys are good.

These people(mid west and west) willingly joined gowon and swelled up his army,the middle belters did the same,but u don't see them trying to deny their involvement...,whatever reason that made these mid westerners and westerners to want to deny their involvement and play the victim is beyond me.

Dede,u equally did a great job in some other thread,exposing the omogui guy for a lier he is,and you sent the yoruba guys running when you bursted their fake Ojukwu's letter,at least none of them will quote that letter again.

Little by little,you guys are striping them of their lies,it's only a matter of time before the world sees their unclothedness.
Re: Obafemi Awolowo’s Letter From Prison (dated 28th March 1966) by T9ksy(m): 1:19pm On Jun 30, 2012
Dede1:

Shut up your putrid mouth young man. What do you know about history and established facts?

Look at a pot calling a kettle, black! Agabya ni e- you are a good for nothing old man. And what do you termed "established facts?" You mean, like the one where you and your ilk claimed (and still continue to claim) that NCNC won the 1951 regional election in western nigeria but till date, cannot produce the results for all to peruse. Is that your concept of "established facts"? Yeye man! you have no moral standing to lecture anyone here on established facts as you have no idea of what it means. You no dey shame sef!!!

Give us proof of your so-called "established facts" or just STFU!!!

@ ACM10, I dey patiently await your return from your village o!
Re: Obafemi Awolowo’s Letter From Prison (dated 28th March 1966) by Dede1(m): 1:39pm On Jun 30, 2012
T9ksy:

Look at a pot calling a kettle, black! Agabya ni e- you are a good for nothing old man. And what do you termed "established facts?" You mean, like the one where you and your ilk claimed (and still continue to claim) that NCNC won the 1951 regional election in western nigeria but till date, cannot produce the results for all to peruse. Is that your concept of "established facts"? Yeye man! you have no moral standing to lecture anyone here on established facts as you have no idea of what it means. You no dey shame sef!!!

Give us proof of your so-called "established facts" or just STFU!!!

@ ACM10, I dey patiently await your return from your village o!

Shut the freaking up toddler. Even if the facts are set under your nose, agbaya kekere such as you would still demand for proof.
Re: Obafemi Awolowo’s Letter From Prison (dated 28th March 1966) by Katsumoto: 1:50pm On Jun 30, 2012
Dede1:

Do not pay any mind to Katsumoto when he throws those ridiculous challenges after being fed with junks written by enemies of Biafra and those who would do anything humanly possible to justify their utter stupidity for joining force with Gowon Nigeria.

Sometimes I wonder why most southern Nigerians shun books about the Nigeria/Biafra civil war written by authors such as J. Isawa Elaigwu or Bala Usman who had no reason to justify their actions during the civil war. As far as I concerned, the water has gone under the bridge and there nothing anybody could do in order to germinate seed of unity and camaraderie among the people of southern provinces of Nigeria.

Thanks to ACM, who supplied the evidence, we know adekunle's 3MC was swelled by MANY biafran sons including igbo.
Re: Obafemi Awolowo’s Letter From Prison (dated 28th March 1966) by Katsumoto: 1:54pm On Jun 30, 2012
pazienza: So,the lie that lagos and western region was under siege has been finally bursted. Dede and ACM,u guys are good.

These people(mid west and west) willingly joined gowon and swelled up his army,the middle belters did the same,but u don't see them trying to deny their involvement...,whatever reason that made these mid westerners and westerners to want to deny their involvement and play the victim is beyond me.

Dede,u equally did a great job in some other thread,exposing the omogui guy for a lier he is,and you sent the yoruba guys running when you bursted their fake Ojukwu's letter,at least none of them will quote that letter again.

Little by little,you guys are striping them of their lies,it's only a matter of time before the world sees their unclothedness.

Did your eyes conviently miss the data from ACM? If biafrans could enlist en masse to fight against biafran, then you have no moral right to question those who enlisted to drive out an invading force.

The rest of your post is just ignorant.
Re: Obafemi Awolowo’s Letter From Prison (dated 28th March 1966) by Dede1(m): 2:33pm On Jun 30, 2012
Katsumoto: ACM

It appears you are either blind or unable to comprehend. You posted a link stating that biafrans were joining enmass to fight against biafra. Or rivers and southeastern states were not part of biafra?

I am surprised dede missed that as well and as already affirmed that elaigwu was an unbiased writer. cheesy

Talk about scoring an own goal. A biafran providing a link that biafrans enlisted enmass to fight biafra. Plus they were dancing and partying as well as gowon prepared for action.

You sound very pathetic with this post. When J. Isawa Elaigwu wrote “many people of Rivers and South-Eastern State origin seen dancing in Lagos and enlisting en masse in to the Federal Army”, he was not in any form of illusion about his assertion.

I guess you mischievously decided to play ignorant to the fact that Elaigwu meant Rivers State and South-Eastern State of the twelve original states created by Gowon. Let me refresh your memory for good understanding of the facts. South-Eastern State as referenced in the book morphed into Akwa Ibom and Cross River States while Rivers State gave rise to Rivers and Bayelsa States.

In addition, remember there was East Central State. Did you catch the dude’s drift? I suggest you drop the bull horn about the reference made by Elaigwu on the states.

Besides, it has been repeatedly rehearsed that not everybody from eastern region is regarded as Biafran hence the issue of betrayal. Even though I do not pay many dividends to references made by self-styled authorities on the Nigeria/Biafra palaver, anybody with dot of brain cell will discern that Elaigwu knowingly or unknowingly painted East Central State as Biafra hence Biafra is Igbo affair.
Re: Obafemi Awolowo’s Letter From Prison (dated 28th March 1966) by hercules07: 2:53pm On Jun 30, 2012
Dede1:

You sound very pathetic with this post. When J. Isawa Elaigwu wrote “many people of Rivers and South-Eastern State origin seen dancing in Lagos and enlisting en masse in to the Federal Army”, he was not in any form of illusion about his assertion.

I guess you mischievously decided to play ignorant to the fact that Elaigwu meant Rivers State and South-Eastern State of the twelve original states created by Gowon. Let me refresh your memory for good understanding of the facts. South-Eastern State as referenced in the book morphed into Akwa Ibom and Cross River States while Rivers State gave rise to Rivers and Bayelsa States.

In addition, remember there was East Central State. Did you catch the dude’s drift? I suggest you drop the bull horn about the reference made by Elaigwu on the states.

Besides, it has been repeatedly rehearsed that not everybody from eastern region is regarded as Biafran hence the issue of betrayal.

Quit digging.
Re: Obafemi Awolowo’s Letter From Prison (dated 28th March 1966) by T9ksy(m): 2:57pm On Jun 30, 2012
Dede1:

Shut the freaking up toddler. Even if the facts are set under your nose, agbaya kekere such as you would still demand for proof.

Am not asking you to set the facts under my nose. Hell no! Present your facts here for everyone to peruse. Shebi you claimed that NCNC won the election outright,yeah. In that case, just avail us with the election result you based your assertion on for everyone here, to determine its authenticity, afterall Kats have given us his version which i also happen to have in my archives. So, where is yours, "Prof"?

Your sidekick ACM10 is waiting until he goes back to his village where he intends to rummage through his g/mum's library for his version. where's yours?

There's no way am going to let you wriggle out of this hole, you have inadvertently dug for yourself. You ibos have been telling too many lies about Awo and the yorubas for far too long. Its now time to put your money/credibility where your mouth is or simply accept that you are a freaking LIAR!
Re: Obafemi Awolowo’s Letter From Prison (dated 28th March 1966) by Dede1(m): 3:03pm On Jun 30, 2012
hercules07:

Quit digging.

What is there to dig? The facts about Nigeria/Biafra war are ever present for people who are pure in heart.
Re: Obafemi Awolowo’s Letter From Prison (dated 28th March 1966) by ACM10: 3:05pm On Jun 30, 2012
Katsumoto: ACM

You are the one with serious comprehension issues here. On top of that, your condition is complicated by tribalism-induced selective amnesia. This has made it impossible for u to argue objectively.
Oh yes! I was waiting for u to pull off your usual stunt. I know that you will accuse me of lack of comprehension. grin Cos u are the smartest kid on the block. Therefore u have superhuman comprehension ability, while others are dunce. But your comprehension ability could not be able to let u know that Rivers state is located in southern Nigeria. In case your comprhension ability fails u, pls read the bolded below

Dede1:

Besides, it has been repeatedly rehearsed that not everybody from eastern region is regarded as Biafran hence the issue of betrayal.
Re: Obafemi Awolowo’s Letter From Prison (dated 28th March 1966) by BlackPikiN(m): 3:15pm On Jun 30, 2012
[size=20pt]Rhymzzzz Thanks for the link. Dalu Nwanna... [/size]

http://www.igbonews.co.uk/html/biafra_news_3.html#Aburi-Accord

Ojukwu no hide talk say na him do this and that.

The army today is blamed for the instability in the political system. When, in your opinion, do you think the army began to eye a role in the political system?

The army lost discipline with the appointment of Yakubu Gowon. It was Gowon that rooted indiscipline into the Nigerian army. This is the basis of my disagreement with the Nigerian army officers'' corp, nothing more than that. In a way, it is the politicisation of the officer corp; I have always been committed to the professional army. We argued the appointment of Ironsi as the major-general, who would take over from Maj-General Wilbe Everad, the last British commanding officer, I maintained the position that for the army to remain we have to follow the natural chain of command of the hierarchy. Despite the disruptions of the Ifeajuna coup, we still held together as an army. Later it became a question of how to handle the disruption of the demise of Ironsi. If you remember, I had been posted to Enugu, so I was not in Lagos to argue this. But I kept on the telephone arguing the point, that Ogundipe should take over; no problem then because there was a chance of resolving the issues. Nigeria was let down by Ogundipe, because his action tended to give more strength to people who believe that anybody could be the head, at any time; I say no to that kind of thinking. Those who designed the military structure knew what they where doing; when I finally learnt that Ogundipe had fled, I did not stop. I then proposed Adebayo, he should take over by seniority. Then, of course, Gowon proclaimed himself commander over and above so many senior officers. It is true that people acquiesced but that was when discipline broke down. So I was not in Lagos, but I did what I could, but Gowon became head of the army. The danger was that some of those who acquiesced did not have the guts to move across to Gowon, they remained under command, here in the East. That confused the whole thing, but basically that was what the whole war was about. The question is :Do we have an army or don''t we? Some people chose to have an army of war lords, anywhere you are, if you look outside the window and you command more rifles you become the boss. No, you should have a superior loyalty; loyalty to the institution, not so much to the men. If I had been in Lagos we might have saved the situation; but I had won two arguments the one that made Ironsi the general and the one that made him Supreme commander. I gave him the direction the army should go, but because I was in Enugu I was not as effective to prevent the aberration of Gowon being placed at the head of the army, at the time he did.

At the time of the coup against Ironsi it was obvious that Ogundipe did not enjoy the support of the officers and men and had to go?
When you use the word obvious, you tempt into the obvious question? How do you know, give me proof? How did it become obvious if it had not been fed into you. I was in the army I did not see anything obvious, so tell me how?

Nigerians are not interested in my thoughts it is you they want to hear?

No the point is that a lot of these things you people take and digest, and once you are confronted with the true situation you are so reluctant to shift, why? When Ironsi became head was there a military council vote? He was appointed, he took over and you saw the result. Ogundipe should have taken over, why did he not. Or that he ran away, who threatened him? And they threatened him he ran away from being in command, but ran into the arms of Nigeria and became an ambassador. I am glad we are talking about this, because this is part of the half -baked beliefs of many Nigerians, and it is significant they accept these things on matters they are not experts in. That the NCO's were not taking orders from Ogundipe, who are these Non-commissioned officers. ? What rank? I am being deliberately mischievous to make a point. Forgive me, why should you know! It is my profession and I wish that you would be a little hesitant with these statements that come from Nigeria propaganda to legitimatise Gowon. It is just like the propaganda that says you have to be very careful in the North, the North does not like Ojukwu, and you journalists you continue saying it, when in fact even the northerners in ANPP, and quite a number in PDP, say if Ojukwu stood for election side by side with Buhari we do not know who would win. Because we are very popular with the North of today, but the eastern journalist of today say, no, no the North will not do this, or do that. And it becomes the truth of our misguided era. No, the only way we would have known what the reaction would have been was for Ogundipe to take up his position, and then we would know. Even today, wherever I go to talk, even at the war college they recognise the commanding presence of their superior officer, and that is it.

One of the reasons adduced by observers for the July coup , is that it was a revenge coup since the January 15 attempt was inspired by mostly Igbo officers (interrupts)

And Ogundipe was Igbo?

That is not the point...
That is the main point. That it was an Igbo coup did not make it a Yoruba coup.

Those who planned the coup against Ironsi, said their grouse was decree 34 that created the unitary system and the second was that Ironsi was reluctant to punish the January coup plotters?
What was said that those who plotted the coup would be investigated, I was there at the Supreme military council(SMC). General Ironsi said that those who were involved would be investigated and would, if found guilty, be charged accordingly. But who was in charge of investigating this matter, it was Gowon. That he did not do it was wrong, that they then took action after how many months, four or five months is odd. Blaming Ironsi for a promise unfulfilled after four months only; you know that all of these are mere rationalisations for their actions that they had taken. It was because of what happened on January 15th 1966, that we started having difficulties, and Ironsi decided to go round. If you notice, in his moving round it was so anti-east that Enugu was not even on the list for Ironsi to visit, which was wrong. The decree 34 that you talked about, what actually is in that decree? The point is that I was in the SMC, and I do not think that there was any decree that Ironsi issued , which we in the SMC did not sit round and we all discussed. I know that there was a move for the creation of a unitary government at the SMC, but it had not being written, at all. Nigeria was not unified that was why I remained military governor in the east; if it had been I would not have remained governor in the east. The other person they hated was FC Nwokedi; but if you remember what the SMC told Nwokedi and the nation was that he should go round and discuss, and come back and report; but the rationalisation you find is that he had gone and reported and it was clear a decree was going to be promulgated, not that it had actually been promulgated. Ironsi did not do anything to the contrary, the government was not unified, rather it was the civil service. How does one command areas that he actually had no jurisdiction over? And if they say that is the reason for killing Ironsi, and killing Nigeria, why is that since they have taken over they still retained the system of appointing governors. What the decree did was to unify the civil service under a military system.

At the time you were in touch with Ogundipe, you knew Ironsi had died?
No, not officially. I had the rumour that he had been assassinated, so I began making contacts because I wanted to force them out in the open so that we could start dealing with the real situation.

It was said that you told him that if he makes radio announcement that you would follow from the East giving your support, was that what you said?
It is a long time now, but I can tell you that to establish Ironsi, was a question of something like please, do not keep the nation waiting. Whatever it is, now that the rump of Tafawa Balewa government had vested authority, you speak to the nation and get to work. That if that happens, I would from the north lend some support, and the various commanding officers would also show support. We managed it and stabilised the situation. But this second one, I told him I did not like the crowd around him in Benin, the officers were from a particular grouping; it is possible because of the seniority he did not identify the tendencies. I was a Lieutenant colonel, so I was closer and I knew their tendencies . When the upheaval then took place, I began first to talk to Murtala Mohammed, who was in Ikeja, we understood each other, and what he said to me was very straight forward and simple: " I do not want to stay with Nigeria. I just want us to separate the north from Nigeria, which would mean that we would move the northerners of a certain standing to the north". I said to him, if that is the case okay, go ahead with it. But as I later on understood some western diplomats, the British- Americans and some permanent secretaries told them not to break up Nigeria. I learnt they told them everything they wanted they now have so why leave the country. But I said no, if we have to do it togther we must return to the chain of command, the hierarchy of the military. Then I started to get in touch with Ogundipe, it was difficult at that time, but with my own Yoruba connections, I found him.

Apart from Ogundipe, Adebayo, who else might it have fallen upon to lead the army?

Ogundipe was then a full colonel. After him, it would have fallen probably to Bassey, who was senior to all of us, the only person he was junior to was probably Ironsi.

When Gowon made his national broadcast, you followed up with your own broadcast. Was that when you made up your mind to secede?
I told you early that the whole question was that we return to hierarchy as we had it in the army. Gowon was in Lagos and he took over, he spoke to me and I told him no, that he can''t take over. I made it clear that it was not his right.

By accepting to negotiate with him at Aburi, was that not a recognition of a fait accompli?
I do not know what you call a fait accompli. When you suddenly caught a robber that invaded your house and carried your belongings, what do you do? You start talking with him, is that a fait accompli? If it were a fait accompli there would have been nothing to discuss. This thing got accomplished at the end of the war.

There is been the suggestion of the rivalry between you and Gowon being a factor(interrupts)?
I will not let you finish, because you are feeding ideas into my mind. Please if you have to use a little courtesy, to respect me ,and let me know what you are talking about.

You were administratively senior to Gowon, even though he joined the army two years before you did, and it is suggested that provoked some rivalry having him assume command?
It did not, you are the one reading that into it. Where did you find that, there are many people who were in the army long before me, that I was ahead of eventually. Do you honestly think having been to University and gotten two degrees that would not even have given me an advantage? It did. There were many people who joined the army before Gowon, it did not provoke rivalry. What I am opposed to is to encapsulate a national tragedy and reduce it to a mundane level. For instance, Col Hilary Njoku might even argue that he was senior to me, and I might disagree, but technically he would be right because even though I became a lieutenant colonel before him, by virtue of his military seniority, he was senior to me and once he became a lieutenant colonel, he assumed seniority. But Gowon's case was a little bit different. Like you said he joined the army two years before me, but at my commission I had caught up with him anyway; because I got the advantage due to my university training. So that he was in the army two years before me by this time did not come into thought. I hope I have explained myself well.
Re: Obafemi Awolowo’s Letter From Prison (dated 28th March 1966) by Nobody: 3:16pm On Jun 30, 2012
BlackPikiN:

When did the moderators start putting up topics on the front page with no tangigle source.

Where the f0rk is the source to this?

Make I quote before them go give yeye reason for no source.
ma friend next time if u havn't anytin reasonable 2 say don't post at all. Hw poor are u in reasonin' dat u hav 2 qoute again knowing fully wel dat d letter is a long one. Pple lik u shudn't be seeing in dis section. ''ewu''

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

Governor Oborevwori To Unveil Africa’s Tallest Christmas Tree In Delta (Photo) / President Buhari Appoints 30 Judges / 6 Offences Punishable By Death In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 165
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.