Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,101 members, 7,890,627 topics. Date: Monday, 15 July 2024 at 05:12 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 - Travel (113) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 (310444 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (110) (111) (112) (113) (114) (115) (116) ... (273) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by kpolli(m): 8:34am On Nov 02, 2012
Mamacita007: Those of you with GA - Did you get the GA at the time of admission or afterwards? My school offers GA, but they won't allow anyone to apply until they accept you to the program. I just applied today. Should I wait till the GA decision is made before i schedule an appointment at the embassy? Because right now I don't have it.

Am not sure of the process either and if u shud wait, u wud have to wait for them to make a decision b4 u can schedule. . . If u have the funds, apply now. . . . when the GA comes, if there is time, u swap I-20s (if I remember well, u wud have to send back the old I-20 to get the new one). . . so its risky

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by webstradamus: 9:22am On Nov 02, 2012
Mamacita007: Those of you with GA - Did you get the GA at the time of admission or afterwards? My school offers GA, but they won't allow anyone to apply until they accept you to the program. I just applied today. Should I wait till the GA decision is made before i schedule an appointment at the embassy? Because right now I don't have it.

And what if the GA decision turns out unfavorable? My dear, forget about waiting and go ahead to schedule your interview. When you get the GA you can request for a new I-20 if you still got time before your interview.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by chuquiz(m): 9:34am On Nov 02, 2012
help
im applying for a masters programme in Philosophy,M.A at either Michigan , Troy or Thomas university by Summer 2013 , as i plan to go into academic and research extensively in the area of African/cultural Philosophy later on at PhD level
i dont know what and why GRE is and if its going to be an obstacle at the interview d-day?
if i secure my I-20 for international graduate admission, or waivered by my school, would it pose a threat for my case at the interview.
Please i dont claim to know all, i stand to be put through,
advice please
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by eduson002(m): 9:42am On Nov 02, 2012
chuquiz: help
im applying for a masters programme in Philosophy,M.A at either Michigan , Troy or Thomas university by Summer 2013 , as i plan to go into academic and research extensively in the area of African/cultural Philosophy later on at PhD level
i dont know what and why GRE is and if its going to be an obstacle at the interview d-day?
if i secure my I-20 for international graduate admission, or waivered by my school, would it pose a threat for my case at the interview.
advice please
U will need GRE for admission depending on school and course.Its also important u write it for visa interview sake though some ve scaled tru without it.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by chuquiz(m): 9:55am On Nov 02, 2012
eduson002: U will need GRE for admission depending on school and course.Its also important u write it for visa interview sake though some ve scaled tru without it.

Noted Edu!
thanks for responding promptly. Now, how do i go about writing this GRE thingy, as i only know about UME,lol
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Teetee6(f): 10:38am On Nov 02, 2012
@ house
Please I need ur advice.. Yle filling d DS 160 form, I said my mum would b paying for my trip meaning my mum will buy my ticket, but on my i-20 my Aunty is my Sponsor.. Is this okay? Hope it's not contradictory?.. Kus I feel d person paying for ur trip doesn't necessarily have to be ur sponsor
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by dnpasion(m): 1:03pm On Nov 02, 2012
Your Sponsor should be the one to fill in if atall your mom is going to pay for your trip.
Tee.tee:
@ house
Please I need ur advice.. Yle filling d DS 160 form, I said my mum would b paying for my trip meaning my mum will buy my ticket, but on my i-20 my Aunty is my Sponsor.. Is this okay? Hope it's not contradictory?.. Kus I feel d person paying for ur trip doesn't necessarily have to be ur sponsor
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by biofem2000: 3:26pm On Nov 02, 2012
chuquiz: help
advice please
Chuquiz,
Since you have your future all planned out (good for you), I will suggest you check the requirement for M.A in Philosophy and what the requirement is for the PhD program in your plan. For all you know, they might require a GMAT and you would have wasted money taking the GRE.
I was an advocate of no GRE no problem but, I have learnt a lot on this thread and my take on GRE/GMAT is evolving.
Be sure you know what your program requires/ will require before you jump on the bus. For example, some schools will only take TOEFL and not the IELTS; arm yourself with the right knowledge.

Good luck.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by biofem2000: 3:30pm On Nov 02, 2012
Tee.tee:
@ house
You`re absolutely right Tee.tee. Your I-20 sponsor does not necessarily have to pay for your trip. I sponsored my sister and brother; they paid for their trips. Besides, they both were employed at the time they applied so it will be ridiculous to say I will sponsor their trips.
In your case, say it as it is. If your mum pays for your trip and your aunt pays the tuition it should not be a problem. Afterall, it takes a village to rasie a child.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by biofem2000: 3:38pm On Nov 02, 2012
dnpasion: Your Sponsor should be the one to fill in if atall your mom is going to pay for your trip.
Not necessarily. If the mum is paying, I don`t see a problem with that. If anything, it shows strong ties to his/her family and the willingness of the immediate family to support him/her; nothing is better than that. I strongly advise against trying to be too perfect. In a real world, nothing is ever perfect.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Teetee6(f): 3:50pm On Nov 02, 2012
Kk.. Thnks.. I filled in my aunty already.sad Is it possible to submit another DS 160 form after getting d confirmation page for d first 1ne..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by justwise(m): 3:54pm On Nov 02, 2012
eduson002: I believe u er going for graduate study,then register at first logic ikeja @ 40k.I can help u register @37k.

This will not be allowed here, this is strictly US student visa inquiry thread, no form of business touting please.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by eduson002(m): 5:19pm On Nov 02, 2012
justwise:
[/b]
This will not be allowed here, this is strictly US student visa inquiry thread, no form of business touting please.
Ok sir.Since I registered myself easily and affordably,I feel I can help other pple too.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by justwise(m): 7:32pm On Nov 02, 2012
eduson002: Ok sir.Since I registered myself easily and affordably,I feel I can help other pple too.

Help others how? By charging them 37K? You are helping yourself with their money.

Please lets not derail this thread.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Mamacita007(f): 10:07pm On Nov 02, 2012
kpolli:

Am not sure of the process either and if u shud wait, u wud have to wait for them to make a decision b4 u can schedule. . . If u have the funds, apply now. . . . when the GA comes, if there is time, u swap I-20s (if I remember well, u wud have to send back the old I-20 to get the new one). . . so its risky
webstradamus:

And what if the GA decision turns out unfavorable? My dear, forget about waiting and go ahead to schedule your interview. When you get the GA you can request for a new I-20 if you still got time before your interview.

thanks kpolli dearest & webstradamus for your response to me. Im scared of commenting on this thread again for fear that i may be hidden looooool. Justwise, you're doing a great job and i think its not bad for us to digress occasionally, but not argue and bicker at each other.

Where are my Spring or summer '13 people? No visa interviews yet? Una dey fear? Please post your experiences.
S-beauty - Have you scheduled an interview yet? Are you going for BS or MS?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by payne4real(m): 8:01am On Nov 03, 2012
spring-13 hopful. will be going for interview soon.Bs information technology-UAFS. am gettn ready n also puting all my documents together.my visa is sure in jesus name(amen)

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by MrChris1(m): 8:35am On Nov 03, 2012
"Happy New Month To Everyone". Wishing all Spring prospective students the best in their visa interviews. Good news coming soon...................
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Teetee6(f): 9:46am On Nov 03, 2012
@mamacita007
Spring 2013 applicant o.. Havnt had luck scheduling an interview... Bt I knw sumfn will cme up soon.. Good luck evrybdy...... cheesy
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by elkharpone: 6:44pm On Nov 03, 2012
Av been a long time reader of this forum you guys are really helping people...My interview is on november15th in lagos i am really scared dunno wah document i'll use in going for the interview am going for an undergraduate degree in health science wah questions will i be asked i finished my secondary skul last year.... peace out
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Mamacita007(f): 6:52pm On Nov 03, 2012
Tee.tee:
@mamacita007
Spring 2013 applicant o.. Havnt had luck scheduling an interview... Bt I knw sumfn will cme up soon.. Good luck evrybdy...... cheesy

Is it that there's no available space?

My spring people have all woken up. (Payne4real, Mr Chris, Tee tee) Our Visa is sure. The worse thing that could happen is delay but not denial.
elkharpone; please read this thread carefully. you'll find all that you need to prepare for your interview. Good luck.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by kpolli(m): 7:00pm On Nov 03, 2012
elkharpone: Av been a long time reader of this forum you guys are really helping people...My interview is on november15th in lagos i am really scared dunno wah document i'll use in going for the interview am going for an undergraduate degree in health science wah questions will i be asked i finished my secondary skul last year.... peace out

There are no definite set questions, if you have read that long, am sure u know documents to present and how to answer questions. . . . Just be urself, am sure you know why your going to the US, am sure you know what you wrote in ur DS-160 form. . . Just pray for favor and go and conquer. . . .

May the force be with you smiley
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by elkharpone: 7:00pm On Nov 03, 2012
Mamacita007:

Is it that there's no available space?

My spring people have all woken up. (Payne4real, Mr Chris, Tee tee) Our Visa is sure. The worse thing that could happen is delay but not denial.
elkharpone; please read this thread carefully. you'll find all that you need to prepare for your interview. Good luck.
can you help me list out documents am suppose to do and please give me the key points they ask...dahs all i ask man do grant my request
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by elkharpone: 7:03pm On Nov 03, 2012
kpolli:

There are not definite set questions, if you have read that long, am sure u know documents to present and how to answer questions. . . . Just be urself, am sure you know why your going to the US, am sure you know what you wrote in ur DS-160 form. . . Just pray for favor and go and conquer. . . .

May the force be with you smiley
thanks man i'll try and bring back dah Gold same goes to all the people going for spring
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Mamacita007(f): 7:12pm On Nov 03, 2012
elkharpone: can you help me list out documents am suppose to do and please give me the key points they ask...dahs all i ask man do grant my request

I'M A WOMAN!!! Apologize jor! grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by ronakoks: 7:15pm On Nov 03, 2012
Hi all,
Ive been following this thread for more than a year now and i have read through all the post in this thread and the previous ones. This is my first post on this thread.

Now I am a spring 2013 applicant. Im going to a university in the state of Missouri and Im goin to study Masters in biology/biological sciences(that's what on my I20). I was wondering if anyone is also going to the embassy with Msc Biology/Biological sciences. Let us rob minds on how to tackle this F1 interview.

I havn't seen many interview experience on this thread for students going to study biology/biological sciences(except for one or two). most that ive seen are either msc enginering or mba or MPH or computer science/IT.

If you have a background in microbiology or a related discipline in biological sciences like i do and are going to do msc biology in spring, I have a few questions that im trying to rap my head around.

1. why do you want to study in the United States, why not Else Where or even Here in Nigera?...

2. Why this university?
.... i need to be able to defend this school well, because the school im goin to is not a very big school( aprox 12k enrolment). But i applied there cos i was pretty sure i would get accepted as my undergrad gpa wasn't very impressive, 3.41/5.

3.How many schools you applied to?. How may admits?..... I only have 1 admit for now out of the 3 schools i applied to. On my gre score card, there are 6 schools. I never applied to the rest 3. I just sent out scores to them. I hope VO wont think i applied to 6 schools and only got 1 admit.

4.Why msc biology ?( question could also come as "what would this degree do for you?" Quite frankly, i think this is what they mean when they ask you "why this course". Ive come to realize that its not about the passion you have about the course that matters, at least for the purpose of this interview. what you need to do is to explain how you intend to make a good career out of this program - forget passion for now.)

3.what have you been doing since you graduated in 2008 ?

4. did you take gre?.... my gre score was 150 Quants and 153 verbal.. which is just average.. i wish i coulda done better, but the gre revised was harder than i expected.

I cant stop thinking about these question and a few others. Ive guided a number of pple for admission and visa application. Now its time for me to go to the embassy and i feel a bit anxious. I guess this thing is easier said than done. Maybe its because of the course im going to study (Msc Biology), but i needed to get something related to my undergraduate degree, in order to show academic progression.

Please house, we need to be more active on this tread... there hasn't been much post lately by spring applicants. Anyone gotten his F1 yet ?.. please post your interview experience. lets all know the latest happenings at US embassy.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by imperiouxx(m): 7:25pm On Nov 03, 2012
ronakoks:

Please house, we need to be more active on this tread... there hasn't been much post lately by spring applicants. Anyone gotten his F1 yet ?.. please post your interview experience. lets all know the latest happenings at US embassy.

I don't know why we haven't being hearing news, either YES or NO such is life. NO isn't NEVER. Though spring applicants ain't as much as fall.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by elkharpone: 7:39pm On Nov 03, 2012
Mamacita007:

I'M A WOMAN!!! Apologize jor! grin
hahahahaha am really sorry don't mind me jorr am kinda confused on hu iz a gal or hu iz guy....buh you guys should still help me out na am going gaga its ma first time of going for an interview i want it to be SWEET!!!

(1) (2) (3) ... (110) (111) (112) (113) (114) (115) (116) ... (273)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 9

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.