Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,096 members, 7,890,613 topics. Date: Monday, 15 July 2024 at 04:56 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 - Travel (114) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 (310441 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (111) (112) (113) (114) (115) (116) (117) ... (273) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Teetee6(f): 8:07pm On Nov 03, 2012
[quote author=Mamacita007]

Is it that there's no available space?

Yh @ first... But I got a date dis mrng! November 17... I'm soo nervous bt I knw it is well sha cheesy
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Teetee6(f): 8:09pm On Nov 03, 2012
[quote author=Mamacita007]

Is it that there's no available space?

Yh @ first... But I got a date dis mrng! November 17... I'm soo nervous but I knw it is well sha cheesy
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Mamacita007(f): 8:30pm On Nov 03, 2012
elkharpone: Av been a long time reader of this forum you guys are really helping people...My interview is on november15th in lagos i am really scared dunno wah document i'll use in going for the interview am going for an undergraduate degree in health science wah questions will i be asked i finished my secondary skul last year.... peace out

elkharpone: hahahahaha am really sorry don't mind me jorr am kinda confused on hu iz a gal or hu iz guy....buh you guys should still help me out na am going gaga its ma first time of going for an interview i want it to be SWEET!!!

I copied this from maybe part 1 or 2 of this thread and saved it on my PC for months waiting for my interview. Hope it helps you

Documentation;
Primary Documents
1) Appointment Confirmation Letter
2) MRV receipt (If used)
3) DS 160 confirmation page
4) 2x2 passport size photograph
5) Nigerian Passport
6) I-20 and Admission letter
7) SEVIS Receipt
cool Sponsorship letter/ Bank statement /Proof of funding. If a Non-relative is sponsoring you, get a notorized letter at the high court.
9) Standarzdized tests scores (Toefl or GRE)
10)Secondary Documents i.e school transcripts/WAEC Certificate, and as many documents as you need to support your own peculiar case.
11)Know the schools you applied to

Possible Questions
Start from page 1, part 1 of this thread. Practise with a mirror or with friends, stay calm and integrated. Do not try to impress the VO by extra smiles or talking continuously etc. Be precise, clear and eloquent to the VO's questions by clearly stating your purpose. Remember you are being judged based on your responses and documents and you have to stay integrated without having the excitement affect your responses an showing any unintended negative signs. DO NOT TALK OVER THE VO.

Appearance
You dont need an expensive suit. Anything from business casual, semi-formal to formal should be ok. I don't think it's by "knacking" tie and new suit. A nice pair of pants/jeans/chinos with a well tucked in good shirt plus good shoes, I am sure it's a enough to make a good first impression.

List of Applied Schools
I think this will hint the VO that you are serious about furthering your studies anyway whether locally, in the UK or US. It's a good impression. The main thing is you need to give STRONG reasons why you chose US above others, which is one of the standard questions asked.

Teetee
All the best. Don't forget to share your testimony

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Teetee6(f): 8:49pm On Nov 03, 2012
Mamacita007:

I copied this from maybe part 1 or 2 of this thread and saved it on my PC for months waiting for my interview. Hope it helps you

Documentation;
Primary Documents
2) MRV receipt (If used)
5) Nigerian Passport
6) I-20
7) SEVIS Receipt
cool Sponsorship letter/ Bank statement /Proof of funding
10)Secondary Documents i.e school transcripts/WAEC Certificate, and as many documents as you need to support your own peculiar case. If a Non-relative is sponsoring you, get a notorized letter at the high court.

Teetee

Thnx o! Yh I will! Btw....... Is thr a format for d sponsorship letter? A non-relative is sponsoring me... My skl didn't ask for it so I didn't hve ny cause to get it b4 nw.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Mamacita007(f): 8:55pm On Nov 03, 2012
Tee.tee:

Thnx o! Yh I will! Btw....... Is thr a format for d sponsorship letter? A non-relative is sponsoring me... My skl didn't ask for it so I didn't hve ny cause to get it b4 nw.

Did your school send you the I-20 without proof of funding? Im surprised to hear that. You may need to get it ready and notorized before your interview (you never know). Will you be attending a community college?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by MrChris1(m): 9:16pm On Nov 03, 2012
Mamacita007:
My spring people have all woken up. (Payne4real, Mr Chris, Tee tee) Our Visa is sure.
AMEN!!!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Teetee6(f): 9:17pm On Nov 03, 2012
@ mamacita007
No o, not dat.....it's a university nd They requested for my sponsor's statement of account.... Dat's all.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by MrChris1(m): 9:21pm On Nov 03, 2012
elkharpone: thanks man i'll try and bring back dah Gold same goes to all the people going for spring

AMEN!!!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by dnpasion(m): 10:47pm On Nov 03, 2012
Don't know if i can go for my interview with exact statement of account i sent to my school for admission because its been over 1 week now since my dad travel out of town and bank won't give me another print out on his behalf. House please i need your advise on maybe i can go with the statement of account printed out for my admission processing or i should wait till when my dad will come back and he won't be back until end of this month.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by eduson002(m): 11:11pm On Nov 03, 2012
dnpasion: Don't know if i can go for my interview with exact statement of account i sent to my school for admission because its been over 1 week now since my dad travel out of town and bank won't give me another print out on his behalf. House please i need your advise on maybe i can go with the statement of account printed out for my admission processing or i should wait till when my dad will come back and he won't be back until end of this month.
If the statement is nt older than 3 months then its ok.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by dnpasion(m): 11:22pm On Nov 03, 2012
Its issued last month so I guess I'm good to go with it then? Thanks for your contribution
eduson002: If the statement is nt older than 3 months then its ok.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by chuquiz(m): 11:32pm On Nov 03, 2012
biofem2000:
Chuquiz,
Since you have your future all planned out (good for you), I will suggest you check the requirement for M.A in Philosophy and what the requirement is for the PhD program in your plan. For all you know, they might require a GMAT and you would have wasted money taking the GRE.
I was an advocate of no GRE no problem but, I have learnt a lot on this thread and my take on GRE/GMAT is evolving.
Be sure you know what your program requires/ will require before you jump on the bus. For example, some schools will only take TOEFL and not the IELTS; arm yourself with the right knowledge.

Good luck.
God bless you
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by chuquiz(m): 11:47pm On Nov 03, 2012
biofem2000:
Chuquiz,
Since you have your future all planned out (good for you), I will suggest you check the requirement for M.A in Philosophy and what the requirement is for the PhD program in your plan. For all you know, they might require a GMAT and you would have wasted money taking the GRE.
I was an advocate of no GRE no problem but, I have learnt a lot on this thread and my take on GRE/GMAT is evolving.
Be sure you know what your program requires/ will require before you jump on the bus. For example, some schools will only take TOEFL and not the IELTS; arm yourself with the right knowledge.

Good luck.
i think i would settle for California State University,Long Beach. they have a reputable track record and a great teaching staff for the postgraduate programme in Philosophy, goo research environ as well. GRE isnt a requirement for application consideration there
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by elkharpone: 12:18am On Nov 04, 2012
Mamacita007:

Documentation;
Primary Documents
2) MRV receipt (If used)
5) Nigerian Passport
6) I-20 and Admission letter
7) SEVIS Receipt
cool Sponsorship letter/ Bank statement /Proof of funding. If a Non-relative is sponsoring you, get a notorized letter at the high court.
10)Secondary Documents i.e school transcripts/WAEC Certificate, and as many documents as you need to support your own peculiar case.
11)Know the schools you applied to

Possible Questions
Start from page 1, part 1 of this thread. Practise with a mirror or with friends, stay calm and integrated. Do not try to impress the VO by extra smiles or talking continuously etc. Be precise, clear and eloquent to the VO's questions by clearly stating your purpose. Remember you are being judged based on your responses and documents and you have to stay integrated without having the excitement affect your responses an showing any unintended negative signs. DO NOT TALK OVER THE VO.

Appearance
You dont need an expensive suit. Anything from business casual, semi-formal to formal should be ok. I don't think it's by "knacking" tie and new suit. A nice pair of pants/jeans/chinos with a well tucked in good shirt plus good shoes, I am sure it's a enough to make a good first impression.

List of Applied Schools
I think this will hint the VO that you are serious about furthering your studies anyway whether locally, in the UK or US. It's a good impression. The main thing is you need to give STRONG reasons why you chose US above others, which is one of the standard questions asked.

Teetee
thankssss am going with 1 mind if i don't get it i'll bomb the embassy down oh buh i believe i'll make it
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Mystiqme: 1:06am On Nov 04, 2012
ronakoks: Hi all,
Hi..I don't think you should be worried about the course you are going to study. I am a Botany graduate and I am here in the States. I also know of someone (Lanrypaddy) who is doing a Msc in Biological Sciences somewhere in Connecticut.
As to your questions, if you go through this thread from page 1-20 you will find all the answers there.
Goodluck!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by webstradamus: 1:46am On Nov 04, 2012
chuquiz:
i think i would settle for California State University,Long Beach. they have a reputable track record and a great teaching staff for the postgraduate programme in Philosophy, goo research environ as well. GRE isnt a requirement for application consideration there

Dude, I hope say you hold better cash well with that choice wey you wan make so! grin

But seriously, California State University system have very high tuition/fees with little or no assistantship opportunities for incoming international students. I perceive you're trying to avoid taking the GRE so you're only searching for schools that don't require it. I strongly advise you to take the exam!! Trust me, you will have better options with a good score. Plus it will help your visa interview. In this US, you can get high quality education for $0 (actually you can even get paid to study here) if only you can make some initial sacrifices and do your homework well. If you are comfortable spending 35-40k a year on an MA/MS degree, by all means ignore my rant.

4 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by imperiouxx(m): 2:01am On Nov 04, 2012
webstradamus:

Dude, I hope say you hold better cash well with that choice wey you wan make so! grin

But seriously, California State University system have very high tuition/fees with little or no assistantship opportunities for incoming international students. I perceive you're trying to avoid taking the GRE so you're only searching for schools that don't require it. I strongly advise you to take the exam!! Trust me, you will have better options with a good score. Plus it will help your visa interview. In this US, you can get highly quality education for $0 (actually you can even get paid to study here) if only you can make some initial sacrifices and do your homework well. If you are comfortable spending 35-40k a year on an MA/MS degree, by all means ignore my rant.

grin grin This no be rant o, na word. How I go dey pay 35-40K a year and my mate elsewhere no dey pay anything/small..... se na life be that?! I'll prefer initial sacrifice o
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by ronakoks: 2:07am On Nov 04, 2012
@Mystiqme
Does having a second class lower have any effect on the VO decision during interview?.

And is it safe to tell vo that I have 2 or 3 admits,when I actually have just 1. because there are 6schools on mygre score report were I requested my score sent to. Vo might think I applied to all 6 even though I actually applied to 3 schools. And I don't think 1 admit out of 6applications is a good thing to tell VO.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Mystiqme: 2:35am On Nov 04, 2012
webstradamus:

But seriously, California State University system have very high tuition/fees with little or no assistantship opportunities for incoming international students. I perceive you're trying to avoid taking the GRE so you're only searching for schools that don't require it. I strongly advise you to take the exam!! Trust me, you will have better options with a good score. Plus it will help your visa interview. In this US, you can get highly quality education for $0 (actually you can even get paid to study here) if only you can make some initial sacrifices and do your homework well. If you are comfortable spending 35-40k a year on an MA/MS degree, by all means ignore my rant.
Well said, bro. People should not avoid taking the exams. Anyway, some people hold the cash wella. It is nice to be paid to study... wink
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Mystiqme: 2:37am On Nov 04, 2012
ronakoks: @Mystiqme
Does having a second class lower have any effect on the VO decision during interview?.

And is it safe to tell vo that I have 2 or 3 admits,when I actually have just 1. because there are 6schools on mygre score report were I requested my score sent to. Vo might think I applied to all 6 even though I actually applied to 3 schools. And I don't think 1 admit out of 6applications is a good thing to tell VO.
Go with confidence and present your case well, bro. If the school can give you admission with 2:2, then you are qualified.Also, the VO does not know how many schools gave you admissions. I don't think there is any problem in saying the truth, but I guess more experienced people can butt in here...Imperiouxx, webstradamus?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by kpolli(m): 2:53am On Nov 04, 2012
ronakoks: Hi all,
Ive been following this thread for more than a year now and i have read through all the post in this thread and the previous ones. This is my first post on this thread.

Now I am a spring 2013 applicant. Im going to a university in the state of Missouri and Im goin to study Masters in biology/biological sciences(that's what on my I20). I was wondering if anyone is also going to the embassy with Msc Biology/Biological sciences. Let us rob minds on how to tackle this F1 interview.

I havn't seen many interview experience on this thread for students going to study biology/biological sciences(except for one or two). most that ive seen are either msc enginering or mba or MPH or computer science/IT.

If you have a background in microbiology or a related discipline in biological sciences like i do and are going to do msc biology in spring, I have a few questions that im trying to rap my head around.

1. why do you want to study in the United States, why not Else Where or even Here in Nigera?...

2. Why this university?
.... i need to be able to defend this school well, because the school im goin to is not a very big school( aprox 12k enrolment). But i applied there cos i was pretty sure i would get accepted as my undergrad gpa wasn't very impressive, 3.41/5.

3.How many schools you applied to?. How may admits?..... I only have 1 admit for now out of the 3 schools i applied to. On my gre score card, there are 6 schools. I never applied to the rest 3. I just sent out scores to them. I hope VO wont think i applied to 6 schools and only got 1 admit.

4.Why msc biology ?( question could also come as "what would this degree do for you?" Quite frankly, i think this is what they mean when they ask you "why this course". Ive come to realize that its not about the passion you have about the course that matters, at least for the purpose of this interview. what you need to do is to explain how you intend to make a good career out of this program - forget passion for now.)

3.what have you been doing since you graduated in 2008 ?

4. did you take gre?.... my gre score was 150 Quants and 153 verbal.. which is just average.. i wish i coulda done better, but the gre revised was harder than i expected.

I cant stop thinking about these question and a few others. Ive guided a number of pple for admission and visa application. Now its time for me to go to the embassy and i feel a bit anxious. I guess this thing is easier said than done. Maybe its because of the course im going to study (Msc Biology), but i needed to get something related to my undergraduate degree, in order to show academic progression.

Please house, we need to be more active on this tread... there hasn't been much post lately by spring applicants. Anyone gotten his F1 yet ?.. please post your interview experience. lets all know the latest happenings at US embassy.

Majority of the past posters were either engineering or biologists. . . Go back to part 1
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by kpolli(m): 2:53am On Nov 04, 2012
[quote author=Tee.tee][/quote]

A saturday!!!! Hmm. . . . Best of luck
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by kpolli(m): 2:55am On Nov 04, 2012
Tee.tee:
@ mamacita007
No o, not dat.....it's a university nd They requested for my sponsor's statement of account.... Dat's all.

Universities don't request for sponsorship in form of letters, they have a form for the sponsorship. . .

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by kpolli(m): 2:55am On Nov 04, 2012
chuquiz:

CHAIRMAN!!!! Be prepared
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by kpolli(m): 2:56am On Nov 04, 2012
elkharpone: thankssss am going with 1 mind if i don't get it i'll bomb the embassy down oh buh i believe i'll make it

I no dey for that one oooo

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Yvete(f): 4:01am On Nov 04, 2012
elkharpone: thankssss am going with 1 mind if i don't get it i'll bomb the embassy down oh buh i believe i'll make it

looool Please leave your underwear bomb at home/discard it because you WILL get permanent residency to Gitmo (Guantanamo Bay).

Prepare with practice and prayers, and success is yours, and all Spring hopefuls. Don't overthink it- Be natural and smart!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Teetee6(f): 4:30am On Nov 04, 2012
kpolli:

Universities don't request for sponsorship in form of letters, they have a form for the sponsorship. . .

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
My school doesnt hve a form o..... Should I go to d embassy with d statement of acct alone?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by kpolli(m): 4:54am On Nov 04, 2012
Tee.tee:

My school doesnt hve a form o..... Should I go to d embassy with d statement of acct alone?

As in when u were applying to the school. . . . No go with letter from sponsor too oooo
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Teetee6(f): 4:58am On Nov 04, 2012
kpolli:

As in when u were applying to the school. . . . No go with letter from sponsor too oooo
Kk... Pls is thr a format for d form? I have no idea of wht it should look like.. Thnx
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by imperiouxx(m): 5:55am On Nov 04, 2012
^^^ just chill tea tea, go with any letter straight from your sponsor. Letter headed would be better IF (s)he has organization or has one. Nothing like format....just a formal letter comprises of intro and the main body which includes ''I Mr/Mrs...... of whatever station willing to sponsor Miss Tea Tea for the duration of her studies in USA'' and so on.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by walex57(m): 8:01am On Nov 04, 2012
Hey my people, i don dey laugh tire as i don miss a lot ooo, Kpolli university, Larrypaddy college and Imperioux institute of technology...hope y'all doing great?...who are those with visas? wish those who are about going, Success!...Go and conquer, awon VOs o lenu nbe jor. God is your strength
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Teetee6(f): 8:21am On Nov 04, 2012
imperiouxx: ^^^ just chill tea tea, go with any letter straight from your sponsor. Letter headed would be better IF (s)he has organization or has one. Nothing like format....just a formal letter comprises of intro and the main body which includes ''I Mr/Mrs...... of whatever station willing to sponsor Miss Tea Tea for the duration of her studies in USA'' and so on.
Lol! Kk.. Thnks... Does d letter hve to b notarized or nythn? Or should she just type it nd I'll go wiv it to d embassy like dat?

(1) (2) (3) ... (111) (112) (113) (114) (115) (116) (117) ... (273)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 9

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.