Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,051 members, 7,810,928 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:33 PM

Tinubu Economic Advisers Propose Customs, NIMASA, FIRS Merger - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tinubu Economic Advisers Propose Customs, NIMASA, FIRS Merger (40469 Views)

David Malpass Commends President Tinubu's Economic Policies / Tinubu Economic Advisers Propose Customs, NIMASA, FIRS Merger / Tinubunomics: Dissecting Tinubu’s Economic Track Records - Nairametrics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tinubu Economic Advisers Propose Customs, NIMASA, FIRS Merger by Islie: 3:39am On Jun 16, 2023

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu Policy Advisory Council has recommended the declaration of a state of emergency on revenue generation in the country.

The council also proposed the merger of the Federal Inland Revenue Service, Nigerian Customs Service, and the Nigerian Maritime Administration and Safety Agency into the Nigerian Revenue Service in order to enable an efficient collection of all direct and indirect taxes, as well as levies on behalf of the Federal Government.

According to submissions made by the National Economy Sub-Committee, the policy will be aided by the passage of an Emergency Economic Reform Bill which will grant the President special powers to drive the economic reform agenda and support the delivery of sustainable and inclusive economic growth.

The council further outlined the removal of fuel subsidy, sale or concession of select government assets, transition to a transparent and unified foreign exchange rate system, deepening tax collection and optimization of operating expenditure to reduce cost, as targets to be pursued by the President towards the achievement of some milestones within the first 100 days in office.

Members of the Policy Advisory Council are Senator Tokunbo Abiru (chair), Dr Yemi Cardoso, Sumaila Zubairu and Dr Doris Anite. A copy of the report submitted by the panel was obtained by our correspondent on Friday.

The council’s report, which focuses on fiscal and monetary policies, industry, trade and capital market reforms, emphasised that changes in the Central Bank of Nigeria and temporary increases in fiscal circuit breakers such as debt limits would help achieve N1trn Gross Domestic Product growth and over 50 million jobs for citizens in eight years.

The 90-page document further proposed that reforms in the CBN will help achieve about $50bn-$60bn in external reserves, with a monthly inflow of at least $6bn-$8bn from export earnings and other forms of capital inflow, to support the policy at an exchange rate of N500-N600/$.

On fiscal policies to be implemented, the council advised on the need to achieve a domestic refining capacity of two million barrels per day, while creating economic opportunity for the host communities.

They also proposed one-off Personal Income Tax reliefs for low-income earners for up to one year as non-cash palliatives to cushion the effect of fuel subsidy removal.

The advisory read, “Ramp up production capacity to four million barrels from offshore and onshore assets within four years and grow crude oil revenue and savings into ECA and NSIA.

“Formalise illegal refineries and encourage modular refineries to create economic opportunity for the host communities.

“Aggressively grow domestic refining capacity to 2 million barrels per day in the next 8 years, including modular refineries.

Other fiscal recommendations proposed include, “a policy directive that ensures proceeds from the sale of assets to settle existing FGN debt obligations.

“List shares of strategic and profitable NNPC subsidiaries. Privatise, concession or sell down FGN’s stake in corporate assets to partners and other investors (possibly with a buyback option) to generate liquidity in the short to medium terms (focus on sub-optimal assets e.g., NNPCL refineries).

“Leverage blockchain to create and provide access to a Government land registry and regionalise and concession the power transmission grid.”

Furthermore, the advisory council proposed the extension of old naira circulation till December 2024 in order to resolve the cash shortage situation, if required.

It also advised a five per cent monthly gradual removal of the old notes and replacement with new notes through the deposit money banks.

They said, “Extend the December 31st, 2023 deadline to December 31st, 2024 (if required), and bring in new notes through the deposit money banks by 5% monthly and take out the old notes through the deposit money banks by the same 5 per cent to solve cash shortage.”

The policy added, “ To transform Nigeria to become Africa’s most efficient trading nation, decongest the area up to 4km around the ports and designate them for cargo, roads and railway, enforce the Presidential directive on 48hr clearance of goods at seaports in line with Executive Order 001, redefine the performance measures of key agencies of government to emphasise trade facilitation and set up a whistle-blowing mechanism that enables and empowers transporters to report and escalate issues with the various authorities while transporting food and other critical items.”

https://punchng.com/tinubu-economic-advisers-propose-customs-nimasa-firs-merger/?amp

93 Likes 19 Shares

Re: Tinubu Economic Advisers Propose Customs, NIMASA, FIRS Merger by Ahmed0336(m): 3:45am On Jun 16, 2023
Anything to move this nation forward is welcomed.

I stand on my mandate while some peeps are still looking for their manhood wey no loss grin

220 Likes 28 Shares

Re: Tinubu Economic Advisers Propose Customs, NIMASA, FIRS Merger by taylor89(m): 3:51am On Jun 16, 2023
grin

3 Likes

Re: Tinubu Economic Advisers Propose Customs, NIMASA, FIRS Merger by Mhomies: 3:58am On Jun 16, 2023
This country just has to work

127 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Tinubu Economic Advisers Propose Customs, NIMASA, FIRS Merger by loosecanon50(m): 4:01am On Jun 16, 2023
In my own opinion, anything that will improve the lives of Nigerians and bring progress to all is what the nation needs right now...but merging all these agencies into one body seems a bit overboard to me.

All these agencies have been operating independently before now, you can't just wake up from sleep and say you want to merge them. There'll definitely be conflicts of interest on the long run.

74 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Tinubu Economic Advisers Propose Customs, NIMASA, FIRS Merger by Wawelexy(m): 4:02am On Jun 16, 2023
This might eventually leads to a power tussles among these organisations just like that of the DSS Vs EFCC, LASTMA and Road Safety etc... Despite knowing each others's duties, one body will still intentionally carryout the duties of the other just because of personal gain and not because of patriotism, and this will always tell on the citizens.... So I think they should just allow them remain a separate body....

30 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Tinubu Economic Advisers Propose Customs, NIMASA, FIRS Merger by Senioreddy: 4:17am On Jun 16, 2023
I really appreciate the fact that barely 48 hours of the inauguration of the economic advisory committee, they've come up with a tentative proposal to ensure growth in revenue generation.

However, I think in my own opinion, merging all these agencies/bodies into one is just too much for a single administrative structure to handle.

This is because, all these agencies are revenue drivers and they are all autonomous and as such merging them into one create a lot of confusion.

Also bearing in mind that this nation is so much endeared in corruption, a sole administrative body handling multiple revenue mobilizing agencies, the level of corruption will be mind blowing.

Lastly the red tapism/bottle necks will associated with all governmental agencies will further be multiplied.

These are just few of my concerns about the proposal. I stand to be corrected though.

94 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Tinubu Economic Advisers Propose Customs, NIMASA, FIRS Merger by KingKO22: 4:21am On Jun 16, 2023
Good

I pray it yield superlative results

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tinubu Economic Advisers Propose Customs, NIMASA, FIRS Merger by helinues: 4:28am On Jun 16, 2023
Good
Re: Tinubu Economic Advisers Propose Customs, NIMASA, FIRS Merger by Amotolongbo(f): 4:38am On Jun 16, 2023
Senioreddy:
I really appreciate the fact that barely 48 hours of the inauguration of the economic advisory committee, they've come up with a tentative proposal to ensure growth in revenue generation.

However, I think in my own opinion, merging all these agencies/bodies into one is just too much for a single administrative structure to handle.

This is because, all these agencies are revenue drivers and they are all autonomous and as such merging them into one create a lot of confusion.

Also bearing in mind that this nation is so much endeared in corruption, a sole administrative body handling multiple revenue mobilizing agencies, the level of corruption will be mind blowing.

Lastly the red tapism/bottle necks will associated with all governmental agencies will further be multiplied.

These are just few of my concerns about the proposal. I stand to be corrected though.
I don’t really think there is going to be any confusion created anyway as bringing them into a body makes it easier for proper monitoring and streamlining the revenue structure by automating it into the government purse directly.

116 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Tinubu Economic Advisers Propose Customs, NIMASA, FIRS Merger by femicyrus(m): 5:31am On Jun 16, 2023
I hope the born to rule mentality of the North can now differentiate between their backwardness mentality and the progressive prowess of competent leadership

90 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Tinubu Economic Advisers Propose Customs, NIMASA, FIRS Merger by Chekwume16(m): 5:57am On Jun 16, 2023
Hmmm. The way tinubu is moving is not strange to me though. Although I voted for obi I have always maintained that tinubu will perform excellently if he wins especially in the area of economy and infrastructure. Just hoping he sustains this initial drive

167 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Tinubu Economic Advisers Propose Customs, NIMASA, FIRS Merger by ipobarecriminals: 5:58am On Jun 16, 2023
cool Tinubu is real working.

50 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Tinubu Economic Advisers Propose Customs, NIMASA, FIRS Merger by marlow1962(m): 6:02am On Jun 16, 2023
Did I just read "over 50million jobs for the youths" lmao 😂😂.
Just letting you know, there is no job for you. If you don't have someone, who has someone that has someone, you know the jerk.

Tinubu government is not going to give a poor man's child a job, except your "so help me lord" works for you.
After taking your student loan and you manage to graduate, go and start work in a private firm. Tecno and Infinix stand dy where you fit work, or other firm.

7 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Tinubu Economic Advisers Propose Customs, NIMASA, FIRS Merger by vowiski(m): 6:29am On Jun 16, 2023
Merge into one body to be supervised by Alpha Beta …

What a smart mandate thief cheesy

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Tinubu Economic Advisers Propose Customs, NIMASA, FIRS Merger by TemplarLandry: 6:44am On Jun 16, 2023
Yes. This is reasonable.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tinubu Economic Advisers Propose Customs, NIMASA, FIRS Merger by Godfullsam(m): 6:48am On Jun 16, 2023
Good move in the right direction.

But merging those government agencies will cause problem in the long run.

A single bigger merged agency will be too large to manage and there will be too many loop holes where corrupt people will loot money. Especially when an incompetent administration takes over power.

This is the real change we all hoped for.. Buhari's change is a big scam

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tinubu Economic Advisers Propose Customs, NIMASA, FIRS Merger by orisa37: 6:51am On Jun 16, 2023
NO.
ADOPT FAPRES FOTCS AND CTC FOCS TRFG NOW.
Re: Tinubu Economic Advisers Propose Customs, NIMASA, FIRS Merger by ybalogs(m): 6:52am On Jun 16, 2023
Fingers crossed 🤞

1 Like

Re: Tinubu Economic Advisers Propose Customs, NIMASA, FIRS Merger by Exmilitant(m): 6:52am On Jun 16, 2023
Tinubu go deliver. Believe!!!!

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tinubu Economic Advisers Propose Customs, NIMASA, FIRS Merger by ybalogs(m): 6:54am On Jun 16, 2023
A strong economy is the source of national strength. ..

9 Likes

Re: Tinubu Economic Advisers Propose Customs, NIMASA, FIRS Merger by Epistasis(m): 6:55am On Jun 16, 2023
Tinubu is going to move this country forward!

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tinubu Economic Advisers Propose Customs, NIMASA, FIRS Merger by ybalogs(m): 6:56am On Jun 16, 2023
Exmilitant:
Tinubu go deliver. Believe!!!!
Yea, a strong economy begins with a strong and well educated workforce as displayed by Mr President so far. May God crown his efforts.

32 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Tinubu Economic Advisers Propose Customs, NIMASA, FIRS Merger by ybalogs(m): 6:57am On Jun 16, 2023
Epistasis:
Tinubu is going to move this country forward!
A big fat Amen. Hopefully we will soon have a Nigeria of our dreams.

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Tinubu Economic Advisers Propose Customs, NIMASA, FIRS Merger by immortalmortal: 6:57am On Jun 16, 2023
They should also merge ICPC and Efcc

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tinubu Economic Advisers Propose Customs, NIMASA, FIRS Merger by Dynamicboss: 7:01am On Jun 16, 2023
If the impact will be felt on common man, its a welcome proposal

5 Likes

Re: Tinubu Economic Advisers Propose Customs, NIMASA, FIRS Merger by Amarabae(f): 7:04am On Jun 16, 2023
There is always a difference btw a northern and southern president.
I stand on Atiku mandate to be recovered

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tinubu Economic Advisers Propose Customs, NIMASA, FIRS Merger by Martinsmine(m): 7:07am On Jun 16, 2023
Tinubu is romancing with these guys.... Lets watch and see

2 Likes

Re: Tinubu Economic Advisers Propose Customs, NIMASA, FIRS Merger by Exmilitant(m): 7:25am On Jun 16, 2023
ybalogs:
Yea, a strong economy begins with a strong and well educated workforce as displayed by Mr President so far. May God crown his efforts.
Amen!!

6 Likes

Re: Tinubu Economic Advisers Propose Customs, NIMASA, FIRS Merger by obembet(f): 7:41am On Jun 16, 2023
It's high time to cut off the wastage part... All unccessary funding need to stop

All we want is better Nigeria.

Anything that will make this country better is what we are after.

God d bless Nigeria

10 Likes

Re: Tinubu Economic Advisers Propose Customs, NIMASA, FIRS Merger by GWMI(m): 7:49am On Jun 16, 2023
J
Re: Tinubu Economic Advisers Propose Customs, NIMASA, FIRS Merger by Elliotwaveforec: 7:51am On Jun 16, 2023
"4kms away from the port for decongestion and cargoes'. Houses around the ports will give way for cargoes'; Apapa and Lekki residents, brace up!

5 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Buhari Appoints Hamidu Ali As His Chief-Of-Staff - Sahara Reporters / Ifeoma Nwankwo Knees To Greet Tinubu At Chatham House (Photos) / Senator Saraki And The Fictive Cabal- Femi Adesina

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.