Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,062 members, 7,883,686 topics. Date: Monday, 08 July 2024 at 02:26 PM

Should I End My Marriage - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should I End My Marriage (22129 Views)

Should I End This Relationship. / How Virginity Almost Destroyed My Marriage - Thanks To Nlanders / Twice Unfaithful And Lazy Husband: Should I End This Marriage? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I End My Marriage by 8ogoegbunam(m): 4:38pm On Aug 19, 2012
I believe I was manipulated into marriage . Everyone has basic beliefs in marriages. Am not apolegetic about mine.while I kept my promise to my wife to wed her in
Catholic church, she did not even wait for the euphoria of our wedding to end before showing her true colour.

1 Like

Re: Should I End My Marriage by pendo89(f): 4:41pm On Aug 19, 2012
I stumbled upon a good evidence that one of her ex lovers is a reverend father. She is vey close to this priest who constantly bombard her with phone calls even at odd hours in the night.

When did you say you tied the knot again? This year?? shocked shocked
Seems you got ur mind made up and you are both seeking for ways out of this union.
It's not even out of the weaning period and major issues are crippling it.Evaluate this before you bring kids into this union, cz I got a feeling this was a pressure marriage.Either society or age.
Re: Should I End My Marriage by sirxris(m): 4:42pm On Aug 19, 2012
E-yaaa! I'm a staunch catholic bt i dnt suport wot d lady is doing at all cuz first, they had an agreement. Second, d woman is d 1 suposed 2 follow d man nt d other way round. Dis just d reasn y i've vowed dat my 1st priority in choosing my wife is dat she must b of same religious faith wit me cuz even if i get her 2 join me in mine, it will definitely b problematic in future cuz one's childhood faith is nt easily wiped out permanently. And once there's such division in d family concerning faith, it leads 2 many oda things like a domino effect.

1 Like

Re: Should I End My Marriage by sunnshyn(f): 4:42pm On Aug 19, 2012
8ogoegbunam: Thanks all for your advice. I married her in the catholic church due to her plea to me that we should please her parents who are staunch catholics. My grouse is that she lied to me that she will change her sect once we are married.I am a very spiritual person, I have my reservation about the catholic church. I respect all christians and muslims. Everyone have a right to belong to any faith. I believe that the spiritual atmosphere of my home have been poisoned. I have dreams and precepts that guide my life and marriage. I even gave her the choice to pick any of the numerous pentecostal churches were both of us can attend as a couple. Yet she insisted on cathlic church or nothing.am not a sect fanatic, but I believe a couple and kids should attend same sect.

Having said all that, I still would put part of the blame on you.....you always had your reservations about the Catholic church,SO Y IN GOD's NAME DIDN'T YOU LOOK FOR A SISTER IN YOUR OWN CHURCH? Besides self: Anglicans and Catholics doctrines are quite similar. You knew right from the work go that she was Catholic, yet you still went ahead: " toasted" her, dated her, courted her and eventually married her....now you blame her for refusing to change her faith and believe? Common dude, there were other things that attracted you to her in the first place before her faith, please dwell on that and save your self headaches. Be happy shes a Christain, thats what should count..I'm sure there are other things to worry about on earth.....

Re: Should I End My Marriage by aribisala0(m): 4:44pm On Aug 19, 2012
Olodumare is ever faithful and I am thankful I am not swayed by these funny foreign religions.
I believe Jesus gave very specific advice about divorce .
If you are truly spiritual as you claim to be why are you coming to men for advice,such hypocrisy.Go to whoever or whatever you worship surely you will be truly guided.
Anglican ko Cele Ni grin

Return to IFA and you will be rightly guided

1 Like

Re: Should I End My Marriage by vxtr(m): 4:45pm On Aug 19, 2012
realmscape: One chance... Sorry
a pseudo comedian in the house..
Re: Should I End My Marriage by Nobody: 4:47pm On Aug 19, 2012
Exponental: Report her to a reverend father, she will be called to order. Betterstill, let ur reverend meet her reverend n let them know d risk d woman is imposing on d marriage.

Brainwashed Nigerians...report her to revered father? Who do you people think these revered fathers are? God! Don't be surprised if these clergies have more sins under their belts than you, honestly.
Re: Should I End My Marriage by doctorbabs(m): 4:49pm On Aug 19, 2012
[quote author=shaybe baby]I think you need to sit down and think of the vows you took recently. Did you not promise to love each other through and thin? Your faith is but a small part of your marriage. Why are quibbling over who attends what denomination, is it not the same God you both serve? You need to both respect each other's faith and work on a compromise. Your marriage should be based on mutual respect, love and communication. Though I'm not very religious myself but I'm sure the answer to your dile. WHY RELIGION DISCRIMINATION, WHEN BOTH OF U ARE CHRISTIAN, ARE U NOT USING OR QUOTING D SAME BIBLEM SOMEONE SHOULD PLS EDUCATE. DOES JESUS CAME TO PREACHED DISUNITY IN THE CHRISTENDOM. LOOK AT MUSLIMS THEY ALL PRAY FIVE TIMES DAILY(UNIFORM DOCTRINE)) ALL OVER THE WORLD. I AM NOT SURE THIS CHRISTANITY IS A RWLIGION OF JESUS. SEARCH FOR TRUE GOD. TMOROW MAY BE TOO LATE
Re: Should I End My Marriage by sirxris(m): 4:51pm On Aug 19, 2012
8ogoegbunam: I admire the catholic church and respect them , though I have my resevations about them, I do not despise them. I am liberal when it comes to religion,I believe that I can marry any lady, as long as we practise the same religion after marriage.I was even ready to marry muslims as long as the lady converts to christianity. Sorry am not fashola or tinubu. They chose the way their families and marriage should be. I believe I should choose mine.

take it easy, man. D only antidote 4 our poster is 2 endure cuz d mariage vow is 4 beta 4 worse. Or he kud send her packing 4 nw. When she stays at home 4 1 month, she'll come 2 her senses 2 respect a common agreement

1 Like

Re: Should I End My Marriage by studM(m): 4:51pm On Aug 19, 2012
8ogoegbunam: Religious belief is a major factor in marriage. If I had known that she will turn out this way, I would not have married her
so sorry about the situation u find yourself right now dude,you should have at most consider your compatibility physically,emotionally,mentality,and every other wise,before dabbling into it,cuz its not an institution you venture in and out at will,its a life time contract(so says the Holy Book,except if one of the parties involved pass on)sealed by GOD ones done under holy wedlock,but rather you allowed your emotions alone to guide your thought,my advice to you is to ask GOD for wisdom(jam1;5,prv14;1)for direction on the right path,else your marriage is bound to collapse sooner than you might thought,my little but candid advice
Re: Should I End My Marriage by MrCGPA(m): 4:52pm On Aug 19, 2012
There is a point many refuse to get here. '' she use to have one priest boy friend that still give her calls late at night''. How sure are you that her die hard interest in the Catholic is not to reunite with the priest? There is no qualms worshipping in different church from your spouse but the issue is that, as one family you should be united. You are the head so you can still call her to order.

1 Like

Re: Should I End My Marriage by kolexy(m): 4:53pm On Aug 19, 2012
8ogoegbunam: I got married early this year. My wife is a sweet lady,loving and caring lady.The only major problem we face in our young union is religoius issues. I was brought up in the anglican faith while she grew up a catholic. She promised me that she will attend attend the same church with me once we got married, her only condition is that I should wed her in the catholic church. Amidst great opposition from my parents who were against it initially on the basis of religion, I fullfilled my promise to her by holding our wedding in the catholic church.

After our wedding she bluntly refused to attend the anglican church. She even asked me to convert to catholic. Honestly, I am disappointed with her. We have quarreled over this issue several times. As a compromise, I told her to attend my church once a month; that she should continue attending her church. She bluntly refused ,her only condition for agreeing to my idea is that I should attend the catholic church with her sometimes.

I feel I have been conned into marriage.

She is 36 years , we are yet to have any children . Should I divorce her. I am worried about the faith of my future children.she hinted that our children whenever we have one most toe her own line in religious matters.

I stumbled upon a good evidence that one of her ex lovers is a reverend father. She is vey close to this priest who constantly bombard her with phone calls even at odd hours in the night.

I have no evidence that the affair is still on. Please I need sincere advice.

Yours is a sad story. It is unfortunate you got married to a dishonest Lady.

Go on your kneels and ask God for direction, not forgetting that God hates divorce.

1 Like

Re: Should I End My Marriage by DonaldGenes(m): 4:56pm On Aug 19, 2012
Omqe! Your name sef na confusion sef...ah no fit put mouf 4 ds kind thngq oo...you 4 tell us say u don tire to dey bleep her.simple!!
Wetin concern church with love,abi u want carry ua church 4 head?
Re: Should I End My Marriage by love4ual: 4:57pm On Aug 19, 2012
My friend I am afraid to tell you that you have failed in marriage....I also believe that you did not marry your soul mate.... I would love you to watch this Ghanian movie by jjbunny and major Michael ''The grooms Bride''.....it is one of the most detailed movies that I have ever seen by either nollywood or ghaliwood......the Jews were owned to stick to their own people in the bible for a purpose..I do not know how u can be happy in your marriage since your home is already divided.......you are going to live the rest of your life unhappy if you remain in that marriage.....it is better to live single and happy than married and unhappy.....do not listen to people who are telling you that religion does not matter.....

1 Like

Re: Should I End My Marriage by AtheistD(m): 4:58pm On Aug 19, 2012
dukila: Pls What is d difference between catholic and Anglican? undecided

Catholic faith is known as the Roman Catholic Church and are a major denomination of Christianity centred around the early Roman Church.

The Anglican Faith is the Church of England, a protestant church that separated from the Catholic faith during the protestant reformation roughly AD 1534.

Both denominations are similar in the style of service and to some degree dress code etc of the Laity, Clergy, religious leaders etc but the 2 denominations are very different in regards to doctrine.

Either way, the Anglican faith is nearly as different to other protestant denominations.
Re: Should I End My Marriage by asamkpokoto: 4:59pm On Aug 19, 2012
Marriage is a contract between two consenting adults. Usually Before this contract is consumated promises are made by both parties to each other such as i will never cheat on you, i will never neglect your previous family,the list goes on. When one party fails to keep up to any of the promises he has made to the other it hurts expectedly. So in this situation where two consenting adults reached an agreement prior to marriage and after marriage one party finds it extremely difficult to keep, the honorable thing to do is to humbly approach the other party whom your action hurts and seek for his forgiveness in truth and in love.Most of the time, men due take in bullshits from women THEY love depending on the manner of approach. If you deliberately offend someone and leave that person to hurt and burn to ashes, thats no show of love, thats no show of maturing, thats no show of civility and absolutely no show of chtristianity. Let us call a spade a spade. The young woman's behaviour suggests someone acting out a well written script.

Poster my advice is this, call your wife for a meeting on this issue and try to reach out to her heart. Take her out on a private romantic date and talk to the woman in her. That way you will discover truely if this woman really loves you or just wanted to use you to fill a vacuum.

2 Likes

Re: Should I End My Marriage by Nobody: 5:01pm On Aug 19, 2012
Mr CGPA: There is a point many refuse to get here. '' she use to have one priest boy friend that still give her calls late at night''. How sure are you that her die hard interest in the Catholic is not to reunite with the priest? There is no qualms worshipping in different church from your spouse but the issue is that, as one family you should be united. You are the head so you can still call her to order.

Great observation! Kind of surprised not a lot of people observed that.
Re: Should I End My Marriage by love4ual: 5:06pm On Aug 19, 2012
She is not your soul mate period........you should have searched for your wife in the Pentecostal church......this is a lesson for many who thing that marriage is all about love ....what you call love will often become chocked in. Marriage.....you also failed to seek God before u went into this marriage......
Re: Should I End My Marriage by DeGrace01(m): 5:08pm On Aug 19, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Can we agree that Jesus was more spiritual than you could ever dream, yet he didn't have a sect of his own.

Yes, your wife lied to you that she will change after marriage, but I don't believe even Jesus will tell you that is grounds enough for divorce.

You claim you have your reservations about the catholic church but where were those reservations when you started dating a catholic girl? And where where they when you married her in a catholic church?

If you truly believe that everyone has a right to belong to any faith, why are you trying to FORCE your wife to make a decision ON HER FAITH?

And what spiritual atmosphere could you be speaking of? The one that was there when you dated and eventually married a Catholic woman? Or the one that you have allowed to take root as a result of you deciding divorce an option? Where were your dreams and precepts when you dated and married her catholic? Please stop trying to drag God into this. Do you really think God is impressed with you on this or something?

Look, dude, she lied to you. People get lied to everyday, even the one's they love. What matters is that when that lie is discovered people work to fix the problem.You two can work together to fix this, or you can let your egos run this one.

Bros you have said it all, i dont even think this guy is a christian. look if you are that attached to ur church you wud not have got wedded in the cathalic church, infact the agreement u have wt her is unfounded, decietful and meaningless.
You agreed to wed her in the catholic church to decieve her parents whom may not accept u cos you are not a catholic, you manipulated your own parents into accepting her and the wedding in the catholic church. who is fooling who? you are not honest to both parents and this is the reason for your predicaments now.
The only solution to your problem is repentance, humble yourself b4 God, ask for his forgiveness for decieveing everybody towards ur marriage. then humbly dicuss it again with ur wife let her see reasons to be on the same page wt u as long as denomination is concern, but pls do it amicably no bulling. it must be a gradual process.
finally divorce is out it completely, is not that bad yet ok. do not accept any advise urgeing u to call it a quit cos even the next marriage may not work. see pray as basic to all this good luck.
Re: Should I End My Marriage by webcam(m): 5:08pm On Aug 19, 2012
i gues the poster should decide before baby involve....if its need for you to plead with her to save ur home please do as i dont support dirvoice but if that is ur final decision please think about it deeply
Re: Should I End My Marriage by plaetton: 5:09pm On Aug 19, 2012
@Op:
You are young in marriage. Pls do not listen to the advice of these wussies here. Listen to the advice of men who have been it for a long time.
The most important is that you must learn to put your feet down as firmly as you could. Women are excellent manipulators.

At 36, your wife was already set in her ways. It also shows that she is the rigid type. She also does not respect nor care for your feelings and values, otherwise, a good and humble woman would easily compromise to make her husband happy.

A stitch in time saves nine.. Its better you make a quick dash for freedom before children arrive, otherwise life will get very complicated for you in a very short time.
If you hang on , you will mostly likely age quickly and she will outlive you by many decades.

A stitch in time, saves nine.

3 Likes

Re: Should I End My Marriage by browncool(m): 5:10pm On Aug 19, 2012
It's very sad the and painful when your wife is not doing what you want her to do, Some women obviously do not understand the principles of oneness when it comes to marriage. You never would have gotten married to her in her church when her EX is Reverend Father in same church and for the fact that she is married to you, she ought to be of same church with you other wise, she will eventually be going to vigil while you are on your bed at night imagining what could possibly be going on in the night vigil
Re: Should I End My Marriage by Nobody: 5:21pm On Aug 19, 2012
I doubt this OP is serious, what about people that are married to muslims, how do they cope. My parents were of different religions before one decided to change. I have attended an anglican mass b4 and I didn't c much difference between anglican and catholic. Since she has refused to attend your church, attend hers! After a while you can ask her again to join you in your church.
Re: Should I End My Marriage by tpapi: 5:23pm On Aug 19, 2012
dukila: Pls What is d difference between catholic and Anglican? undecided
one of them gives reverence 2 d mother of Jesus while d other does not

1 Like

Re: Should I End My Marriage by klairekk: 5:27pm On Aug 19, 2012
Bro d problem in ur hauz is sadly 'U'....

1. ur dman of the hauz....sit ur wyfey down n talk to ber....remind her of her promise.....

2. If she stil refuses, call her siblings into it...later ur parents.....

3. Get the Rev. Fr number n talk to him, tel him to stop callin ur wifey, if he persist report him to any catholic Bishop close to U....U may write a pertition against him.

4. Talk to a councillor...elder in ur church....ur father.....etc....plz dnt treat ur wifey based on wat u make out from NL

5. Until u solve this do not start procreating. xcept u wont mind seein ur kid growin in catholic faith.

Best of Lucj as u take charge or ur home.

2 Likes

Re: Should I End My Marriage by stagger: 5:29pm On Aug 19, 2012
She catholic and you Anglican: not a good reason for divorce.

If one of you was muslim and the other Christian, that would have been different because the two are too diametrically opposed to each other. My wife and I attended different churches for a while, before we eventually started attending a brand new one, together.

No big deal. Focus on having children and then move on with your life. Stop the late night calls by calling the reverend father in question and threatening to expose him. Last I checked, catholic priests are supposed to be celibate. On that particular one, you must stamp your foot down as the man in the house.

No bagger dares call my wife late at night; im chop craze?
Re: Should I End My Marriage by cfours: 5:31pm On Aug 19, 2012
You were too desperate to get married you didn't think about the fact that you need to be compatible in terms of beliefs and values.
Both of you are at fault. Marriage without compatibility is a time bomb waiting to happen.

If she's 36 then I imagine that you are at least 40 or almost 40yrsof age.
Re: Should I End My Marriage by tpapi: 5:33pm On Aug 19, 2012
victorian: @op, u r honestly not serious. So , because u r anglican and she is catholic, will then create basis for divorce? First of all,either catholic, pentecostal,anglican , we are all christians and child of God, in the Lords eyes. There is no segregation with God, everyone is equal in the eyes of God. See what pastors have caused inbetween the christian communities.God almighty will judge them and place them where they belong angry!
You have a peaceful home and you are not satisfied because of church?, na wa... I have a female friend, she use to date a pentecostal guy, while she is catholic. She breaks up with the guy because he is not willing to change to her church. She bluntly told the guy to move on with another girl, so she can marry a catholic guy. 5yrs gone. she is still waiting for the catholic guy that fits her heart desire. But none could be like her ex boyfriend, she contacted him recently, that she is now ready to marry him irrespective of their different church and that she had not found true and peaceful love like his when they use to be together. She cried that day, begging him to reconcile that she is sorry, but the fyne guy has moved on with another cute babe.
She always blames herself for letting him go..... so poster, appreciate what u have and focus on serving God, not Church.
bros b sincere,can u allow ur wife dat is leaving under d same roof wit u 2 b attendin a church different fm urs every sunday mornin
Re: Should I End My Marriage by Kobojunkie: 5:37pm On Aug 19, 2012
c.fours:
You were too desperate to get married you didn't think about the fact that you need to be compatible in terms of beliefs and values.
Both of you are at fault. Marriage without compatibility is a time bomb waiting to happen.

If she's 36[size=18pt] then I imagine that you are at least 40 or almost 40yrsof age.[/size]

At about 40, I don't think he was desperate, I think he may have expected marriage to be ON HIS OWN TERMS. Cause that seems to be what this is really about.
Re: Should I End My Marriage by DeGrace01(m): 5:40pm On Aug 19, 2012
[quote author=Sun of god]

Not even a year into marriage and your being played like this?

The bottom line is your wife is deceptive.

She's clearly decieved you and who knows what else she's playing you at.
From what you've stated she also seems stubborn and has an agenda.

So you have only two options:

!) Begin divorce proceedings or get the marriage annuled.

2) Get used to a married life of misery and torment. (Maybe lasting 40/50 years)

[/quote

Look at ur advise, well thank God u are sun of god, not son of God, rubbish
Re: Should I End My Marriage by Omopasito: 5:42pm On Aug 19, 2012
x-fire:

If religious belief is a major factor, you shouldn't have married her in the first place. You don't base a critical decision such as marriage on mere promise BUT FIRM COMMITMENT. This tells me that your basis/bases for marrying her is/are faulty.
If you are born again, divorce is out of question. You must find a way to sort issues out. Commit it to God in prayer. And also give it time. Learn the virtue of PATIENCE. Marriage is a life long commitment and you must be patient for her to change. Let her see reasons, try and persuade her. Preach to her and most importantly pray.
Lastly, I believe you should be more concerned about her spiritual health or standing with God and not just church affliations. She could even start going to Anglican church but still retains catholic church beliefs. I believe church affliations are superficial. Be much more concerned about her soul, except if you yourself are not totally renewed in Christ. Let her see the light in Christ in the Anglican church. Don't be dogmatic about Anglican church, except you practise 'churchianity' and not christianity.
Like I earlier said, NO to divorce.

@X-fire; May the peace of the Lord be with you for this. It's hightime we saw divorce as never an option as true christians let alone for weightless reasons like this. If you are the true christian you profess, take it to the Lord in prayer.

What are your spiritual fathers(as in your Anglican head) saying about this? Have you sought them for advise?
Re: Should I End My Marriage by paris10: 5:42pm On Aug 19, 2012
@poster, what difference are you with the likes of the Boko Haram? I believe they seek a Muslim state, while you're also here seeking a denominational state.

What assurance or conviction do you have that your way of worship is better than that of your wife? You're a religion fanatic who only cares about the outside but consider not the inside of a person. What has the Church your wife attend got to do with you?

In the last day, everyone shall give account of themselves. My Aunt attend a Pentecostal Church while her husband wears them white garment. You are on your own when it comes to serving God.

However, I do acknowledge that it is better if both parties share the same belief (this might be dangerous if both attend Churches like C.E and the rest). The most important factor in a marriage is the fear of God. Once this is established, all other things would fall into place.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Rev Felix Ikejimba And His Wife Welcome Twins After 8 Years Of Waiting / How Do I Handle My Neighbor Talking Ill About Me? / Men/guys Plz Stop Encouraging/producing Baby Mamas

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.