Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,756 members, 7,885,999 topics. Date: Wednesday, 10 July 2024 at 07:19 PM

Would You Be Offended If Your Pastor Preached From Their Ipad? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Would You Be Offended If Your Pastor Preached From Their Ipad? (14136 Views)

Imagine You Own This Ride And Your Pastor Asked You To Sow A Seed With It / The Lie "We" Preached From The Pulpit.... / Has Your Pastor Ever Preached From Songs Of Solomon? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Would You Be Offended If Your Pastor Preached From Their Ipad? by Acidosis(m): 11:10pm On Sep 13, 2012
ITbomb:
Acidosis U sound familiar , have u been to Macedonia before?

lol... I've not been there..
Re: Would You Be Offended If Your Pastor Preached From Their Ipad? by ignis: 11:12pm On Sep 13, 2012
Technology is advancing, so we have to advance with it. Actually i wont be offended if my pastor preach with an i pad. Why should I?
Re: Would You Be Offended If Your Pastor Preached From Their Ipad? by femmical(m): 11:21pm On Sep 13, 2012
This is an e-world... There is nothing bad about that for a pastor using ipad τ̲̅ȍ preach,drop it
Re: Would You Be Offended If Your Pastor Preached From Their Ipad? by Gadgetmobil(m): 11:32pm On Sep 13, 2012
If at all am 2 talk pls den permit me.Am a Pastor n am very active w NL,its howeva disheartenin 2 c d way pple jump up 2 accuse Pastors n annointed men of God @ every chance.I rily do plead dat u all b watchful of wat u say mst esp.
Not digressing frm d pt,Imagine a message u need 5 versions of d bible,knowing dat 98% of ur members r w KJV?dat wud mean as u r steppin 2 d altar 5 pple wud usher u in w 5 fat bibles.Dat wud b very ridiculous n forlorn.
Using tablets compresses almost all available versions not 2 even mention d grk n heb versions.Its not 4 effizy at all,cos d more content n quality u pour in2 ur members d richer deir understandin n thinkin.n u no d bible says as a man tinketh...
Also u find it easy 2 flip btw ur bible n ur notes giving u a smooth service.
Y shud I board d ship lik Peter 2 evangelise in europe when I cud use a plane or beta still sit in my office n preach 2 d world on TV n d internet.
Nutin gud cums frm d devil so if technology is gud y shud d church reject it?
My church is international n we r covering many nations w tremendous speed because of technology.When we hav urgent meetings which requires our Pastors globally we use skype n get an even beta ezxperience.Or talk abt havin a communion service n every1 is takin wine n bread same time cos of satellite tv.
We r d Victors of dis world n r 2 rule ova d earth.
Tak charge @ OP n buy ur Pastor an Ipad den tell us d exp sum sundays after.

2 Likes

Re: Would You Be Offended If Your Pastor Preached From Their Ipad? by Acidosis(m): 11:33pm On Sep 13, 2012
spicy v: Acidiosis my brother, this yer thread funny me o! Are you serious or you jes wanna create a controversial topic? Lol my bros. Okay, so what about AC in the church? Mics nko? No need for them too na. Let's remain archaic! Remember what the bible says abt the sons θf Issachar(hope I got the spelling right?) The understood seasons and times! So if we are to make impact for God in the world we have to understand the times and flow with the changes. The unchurched are highly intelligent and sophisticated and you ought to communicate in a manner that would attract them whilst maintaing the ways θf God.

Study the bible, you would realise that God uses strategy! I mean He chose Paul who was highly educated and understood the ways θf the Romans to reach out to the Gentiles cos they are highly civilised as compared to the Jews.

Bros. I don't see anything wrong in that. The gospel is for the unsaved!

lol.. my sister, hope you're good?

well, you almost convinced me but I still have this feeling.. (may be its personal).

Then in school, we love it when lecturers teach with laptops & ipads, infact I did a lot on powerpoint for myself and colleagues each time we have a seminar to present..

But what I don't like is seeing a pastor ON PULPIT touching the screen of a gadget at the same time talking to the congregation..

My sister, Have you ever imagine a church where members hold their blackberry phones, ipads, and other tablets and phones?

Some people tag it poverty.lol. maybe they will also call Adeboye, Kumuyi, & Oyedepo poor men for not using ipads on pulpit.

So many pastors are now on facebook etc. They own these gadgets. They tend to impact lives on air and web
BUT you will never see it on pulpit.
Fashion, is the reason why many are doing this..
Re: Would You Be Offended If Your Pastor Preached From Their Ipad? by tevinsolt: 11:36pm On Sep 13, 2012
I wonder if people felt this way when the ten commandments were written on scrolls, or from scrolls to a novel looking like book?
Re: Would You Be Offended If Your Pastor Preached From Their Ipad? by donchrisk(m): 11:43pm On Sep 13, 2012
Why wil I be offended by my pastor preachin wit Ipad.hv u taken time 2 comppare de words in the bible ipad its just de same,
Re: Would You Be Offended If Your Pastor Preached From Their Ipad? by Acidosis(m): 11:52pm On Sep 13, 2012
@Gadgetmobil,

Pastor, do you have to read 5 fat Bibles before your members would enter into the kingdom of God? I'm yet to meet a Pastor that brings in 5 Fat bibles on pulpit yet they preach wonderful and life enriching messages that draws people nearer to God.

and, my pastor is not interested in my gift.. we are too focused to be distracted.. we don't do business in church, we aim at heaven and thats our calling.
Re: Would You Be Offended If Your Pastor Preached From Their Ipad? by lastpage: 11:58pm On Sep 13, 2012
I would be offended if he does not preach from anIPad, in 2012! angry angry

But l will be even "Mooorrreee Offended", if he uses "church money" to buy the IPad! shocked shocked wink wink

Thing is, like everything else, "Religion must evolve or disappear"....just like the dinosaurs!

Lastpage!
Re: Would You Be Offended If Your Pastor Preached From Their Ipad? by chibuike67(m): 12:04am On Sep 14, 2012
Signs of rapture....wetin them go learn 4 theology sch. I no blame them cos church is turning into a lucrative busines
Re: Would You Be Offended If Your Pastor Preached From Their Ipad? by FrenchyL(m): 12:33am On Sep 14, 2012
@Poster: Renew your way of thinking and Step up your game!
Re: Would You Be Offended If Your Pastor Preached From Their Ipad? by Tinyemeka(m): 12:42am On Sep 14, 2012
hbabe:
Infact, using Ipad makes the pastor look trendy. cool

And there you have it.

@ Acidosis, I understand the point you make. I'm a Catholic and I recall the period when GSM phones became readily available to the public. The leaders and the Laity were not s.tupid when they instructed that parishioners should switch off their handsets when coming into the house of God. Those were items of distraction. Whether the phone rang or not. The leaders should lead by example. Tell me: what would first come to mind, if a priest was to approach the alter with a cell phone or a laptop?

Someone has said the i-Pad made her pastor look trendy. Another said it made her pastor look sexy. If I was looking for fashion tips, I would know where to go to. But definitely never in the house of God.

@ OP, Joagbaje, etc, this is my opinion on the question: it is plain SHOW-OFF. Vain pride and arrant display of megalomania. If you intend to follow tech trends, stick with the cine projector, sound systems, etc. But please leave the bible alone. Cine projectors were made to display bible passages and other relevant activities going on in the church. If the pastor needed to consult other bible translations, he could ask someone from the congregation or even those people who sit with him (elders?) to read for him.

You need to cross-reference or take down notes? Simply come with a pen and note-pad. It takes up a far smaller space than that mobile device. And what makes you think that if you don't read that verse of that particular translation from your device rather than hearing another person read it, you won't understand the passage?

I recall a certain time Pst Chris Oyakhilome read bible verses from his laptop on the pulpit. And now we have people doing it from their i-Pad. What happened to the previous devices? They couldn't contain present day translations or what? Why did they then dump the laptop and now use i-Pad?

My friends, it is that insidious danger of vain pride. Showing off. Keeping up with the Jonses. You don't do "keeping up with tech trends" in the church. It is a special place of worship. Reserved for God.

I'm saying all these because I want to show to you that you really don't need to bring and use those devices in the church. They would only serve to distract and generate other thoughts that are not wanted at that time. Your Bible, a note-pad and pen would just be sufficient to cover all the writing you wish to do. Use your bible the way it is.

1 Like

Re: Would You Be Offended If Your Pastor Preached From Their Ipad? by Acidosis(m): 12:46am On Sep 14, 2012
^ ^
A MILLION LIKES.
Re: Would You Be Offended If Your Pastor Preached From Their Ipad? by olabiz2010: 1:46am On Sep 14, 2012
Acidosis: Some Pastors now want to rely on all the new technological gizmos. Personally, I'll be offended..don't like the idea of Pastors preaching after downloading series of ebooks, and bible pages from the net.

Its nothing but a distraction Satan is using to cause many not to listen to the voice of God. Texting, playing games, surfing the internet, etc., but if you have the Bible open, you cannot just push a button or touchscreen and surf, etc.

Imaging praying and casting out demons with ipad..?

&

Can the members also drop their Bible? atleast they have Bible apps on their phones

Do you think you can just cast out demons with bible in your hand? You need to be loaded with REAL word of God contain therein and steadfast in it. You can cast out demons in many ways. Having said that, preaching from the ipad can be distracting sometimes
Re: Would You Be Offended If Your Pastor Preached From Their Ipad? by jaykaye: 2:22am On Sep 14, 2012
no much talk, the op no fit afford an ipad, and hence feels intimidated when he sees pastors and brethren using it on tv. Gbam!
Re: Would You Be Offended If Your Pastor Preached From Their Ipad? by otele(m): 3:29am On Sep 14, 2012
Welcome to the 21sr century. From my bedroom, with my iPad and iPhone and iWhatever, I will worship. No need to go to church then( pastors won't like this one o bc it means no Sunday collection) grin
Afterall I watch TD jakes on yOutube, why should I go to church if I can worship in my bedroom and fellowship with the brethren using technology cheesy
Re: Would You Be Offended If Your Pastor Preached From Their Ipad? by Turbocharged: 5:45am On Sep 14, 2012
Maria-G:
To me, it is totally wrong. They shoul stick to the practises of old. You can use that in your room but ah ah, not in the church now
Why didn't you stick to the practice of old by not making use of the internet, or trekking to wherever. Or better still, stop using phones.
Re: Would You Be Offended If Your Pastor Preached From Their Ipad? by bigtt76(f): 5:52am On Sep 14, 2012
Very soon church would be virtualized ...congregation join in fellowship via Skype or through live Youtube broadcast. Collection and tithing through online payment system ...miracles via remote touching of device (already being used) even by BBM or FB sef ....Churching for the future!
Re: Would You Be Offended If Your Pastor Preached From Their Ipad? by Nobody: 6:38am On Sep 14, 2012
Turbocharged:
Why didn't you stick to the practice of old by not making use of the internet, or trekking to wherever. Or better still, stop using phones.
why not comment without quoting me?
Re: Would You Be Offended If Your Pastor Preached From Their Ipad? by SummerT(m): 7:09am On Sep 14, 2012
Nofin is wrong wif d use of ipad. Jst satisfy ur own conscience. By d way,i tot u 'lld hv commentd on d use of projector as wel?
Re: Would You Be Offended If Your Pastor Preached From Their Ipad? by LordReed(m): 7:27am On Sep 14, 2012
Acidosis: ^ ^
A MILLION LIKES.

Quite clear now that you have a very big bias. The fact that you see no benefit to it doesn't mean others won't and most importantly The Lord does not condemn we who choose to use them even if Acidosis thinks we are devil spawn.
Re: Would You Be Offended If Your Pastor Preached From Their Ipad? by LordReed(m): 7:33am On Sep 14, 2012
Tinyemeka:

And there you have it.

@ Acidosis, I understand the point you make. I'm a Catholic and I recall the period when GSM phones became readily available to the public. The leaders and the Laity were not s.tupid when they instructed that parishioners should switch off their handsets when coming into the house of God. Those were items of distraction. Whether the phone rang or not. The leaders should lead by example. Tell me: what would first come to mind, if a priest was to approach the alter with a cell phone or a laptop?

Someone has said the i-Pad made her pastor look trendy. Another said it made her pastor look sexy. If I was looking for fashion tips, I would know where to go to. But definitely never in the house of God.

@ OP, Joagbaje, etc, this is my opinion on the question: it is plain SHOW-OFF. Vain pride and arrant display of megalomania. If you intend to follow tech trends, stick with the cine projector, sound systems, etc. But please leave the bible alone. Cine projectors were made to display bible passages and other relevant activities going on in the church. If the pastor needed to consult other bible translations, he could ask someone from the congregation or even those people who sit with him (elders?) to read for him.

You need to cross-reference or take down notes? Simply come with a pen and note-pad. It takes up a far smaller space than that mobile device. And what makes you think that if you don't read that verse of that particular translation from your device rather than hearing another person read it, you won't understand the passage?

I recall a certain time Pst Chris Oyakhilome read bible verses from his laptop on the pulpit. And now we have people doing it from their i-Pad. What happened to the previous devices? They couldn't contain present day translations or what? Why did they then dump the laptop and now use i-Pad?

My friends, it is that insidious danger of vain pride. Showing off. Keeping up with the Jonses. You don't do "keeping up with tech trends" in the church. It is a special place of worship. Reserved for God.

I'm saying all these because I want to show to you that you really don't need to bring and use those devices in the church. They would only serve to distract and generate other thoughts that are not wanted at that time. Your Bible, a note-pad and pen would just be sufficient to cover all the writing you wish to do. Use your bible the way it is.

You are kind of funny, so if my paper bible tears or the cover falls of I should keep using it and not get another one because it shows vain pride?

Please man get real. Condemning the use of new technology in the service of the Gospel just makes you sound like a fanatic. Please tell me in your church you don't use tv/projectors to extend the viewing because it will distract the members watching tv.
Re: Would You Be Offended If Your Pastor Preached From Their Ipad? by LordReed(m): 7:33am On Sep 14, 2012
Tinyemeka:

And there you have it.

You are kind of funny, so if my paper bible tears or the cover falls of I should keep using it and not get another one because it shows vain pride?

Please man get real. Condemning the use of new technology in the service of the Gospel just makes you sound like a fanatic. Please tell me in your church you don't use tv/projectors to extend the viewing because it will distract the members watching tv.

1 Like

Re: Would You Be Offended If Your Pastor Preached From Their Ipad? by PDF: 7:37am On Sep 14, 2012
Everyone have made good points. However IMO, I'd say for your personal studies, those gadgets may be useful, but for use in church 4 preachers n members alike, it wouldn't necessarily be ideal for d same n only valid argument of the OP n others alike... Distractions!which will take minutes of struggle to ignore (if at all u even win d battle) when they show up. These gadgets av become overwhelmingly distracting in our everyday lives talkless of the church. Let's be honest, how many will genuinely ignore BB pings, notifications n other pop-ups dat flashes in while flipping thru Bible apps on ur smartphones during a church service?

A whole congregation with iPads n not 'Bibles' will rily look farcical to me...Imagine during d 'heat' of prayers u just smash ur iPad against ur neighbour's head grin grin

Let all things be done decently n in order...1Cor14:40. Let ur moderation be known unto all men... Phil4:5
Re: Would You Be Offended If Your Pastor Preached From Their Ipad? by Acidosis(m): 7:38am On Sep 14, 2012
jaykaye: no much talk, the op no fit afford an ipad, and hence feels intimidated when he sees pastors and brethren using it on tv. Gbam!
A typical Nigerian mentality.
Re: Would You Be Offended If Your Pastor Preached From Their Ipad? by Aringon(m): 8:17am On Sep 14, 2012
The guy that posted this is a very big f....l, imagine this arrant nonsense, who told u that it is a swag? a Pastor using an ipad to preach does that for the convenience of it and it can contain different versions of bible which the Pastor can pull up in the course of preaching. E be like say pesin borrow u internet to come waste my time for here
Re: Would You Be Offended If Your Pastor Preached From Their Ipad? by Acidosis(m): 8:55am On Sep 14, 2012
Aringon: The guy that posted this is a very big f....l, imagine this arrant nonsense, who told u that it is a swag? a Pastor using an ipad to preach does that for the convenience of it and it can contain different versions of bible which the Pastor can pull up in the course of preaching. E be like say pesin borrow u internet to come waste my time for here

is this what your pastor taught you from his ipad? or is that you're so adamant and allergic to wisdom and pure understanding?

Must you insult people just because you want to tell them how sweet/dumb your post is?
Re: Would You Be Offended If Your Pastor Preached From Their Ipad? by mko2005: 9:08am On Sep 14, 2012
Maria-G:
To me, it is totally wrong. They shoul stick to the practises of old. You can use that in your room but ah ah, not in the church now

When God asked man to be fruitful,multiply and replenish the earth,una think say na by to born pikin only abi ? You make me laugh plenty.To be fruitful wey be same as to produce mean say make u release that God given talent in you.I-phone or i-pad no in any way contradict the word of God.The word of God no dey change at all wether you write am for stone,paper,tablet,capsule,gaga,black berry or .. the word na still the word my brothers and sisters.If ur church never start am,no worry them go still start.Why the people of old no use i-pad or i-phone na becos of say e no dey for them to use am period.Our catholic churches and other orthodox churches they feel say dem be the first and them no one loose that saying for anything at all hence the continuous practice of the tradition of the men of old.Lead men old tradition and face the word of God!
Re: Would You Be Offended If Your Pastor Preached From Their Ipad? by LordReed(m): 9:11am On Sep 14, 2012
PDF: Everyone have made good points. However IMO, I'd say for your personal studies, those gadgets may be useful, but for use in church 4 preachers n members alike, it wouldn't necessarily be ideal for d same n only valid argument of the OP n others alike... Distractions!which will take minutes of struggle to ignore (if at all u even win d battle) when they show up. These gadgets av become overwhelmingly distracting in our everyday lives talkless of the church. Let's be honest, how many will genuinely ignore BB pings, notifications n other pop-ups dat flashes in while flipping thru Bible apps on ur smartphones during a church service?

A whole congregation with iPads n not 'Bibles' will rily look farcical to me...Imagine during d 'heat' of prayers u just smash ur iPad against ur neighbour's head grin grin

Let all things be done decently n in order...1Cor14:40. Let ur moderation be known unto all men... Phil4:5

Please you can always put a smartphone or tablet into offline mode so that is no defense.

So do you go about hitting people on the head with your paper bible? Where is the moderation you are talking about then?

Do people stand up and yell to the congregation "o look at me I'm using an ipad!"?

The disruption is all in your mind. I see people with ipad in church all the time and it has never mesmerised me or stopped people around those with ipads from participating fully.

2 Likes

Re: Would You Be Offended If Your Pastor Preached From Their Ipad? by NeuroBoss(m): 11:06am On Sep 14, 2012
Gadgetmobil: If at all am 2 talk pls den permit me.Am a Pastor n am very active w NL,its howeva disheartenin 2 c d way pple jump up 2 accuse Pastors n annointed men of God @ every chance.I rily do plead dat u all b watchful of wat u say mst esp.
Not digressing frm d pt,Imagine a message u need 5 versions of d bible,knowing dat 98% of ur members r w KJV?dat wud mean as u r steppin 2 d altar 5 pple wud usher u in w 5 fat bibles.Dat wud b very ridiculous n forlorn.
Using tablets compresses almost all available versions not 2 even mention d grk n heb versions.Its not 4 effizy at all,cos d more content n quality u pour in2 ur members d richer deir understandin n thinkin.n u no d bible says as a man tinketh...
Also u find it easy 2 flip btw ur bible n ur notes giving u a smooth service.
Y shud I board d ship lik Peter 2 evangelise in europe when I cud use a plane or beta still sit in my office n preach 2 d world on TV n d internet.
Nutin gud cums frm d devil so if technology is gud y shud d church reject it?
My church is international n we r covering many nations w tremendous speed because of technology.When we hav urgent meetings which requires our Pastors globally we use skype n get an even beta ezxperience.Or talk abt havin a communion service n every1 is takin wine n bread same time cos of satellite tv.
We r d Victors of dis world n r 2 rule ova d earth.
Tak charge @ OP n buy ur Pastor an Ipad den tell us d exp sum sundays after.
You must be a Christ Embassy pastor. What an untenable reason for supporting the use of high-end technology in lieu of the bible
Re: Would You Be Offended If Your Pastor Preached From Their Ipad? by Tinyemeka(m): 11:16am On Sep 14, 2012
Lord_Reed:

When your bible is torn, you replace it.

Please get my point. What is the i-Pad actually designed for? That the bible and other related apps are made available on a mobile device is a very good thing. But the i-pad was primarily designed for mobile computing, entertainment, gaming, etc.

We come to church to receive the word of God, worship and be refreshed. But that i-Pad is better used in a place where it won't constitute a distraction to other members of the congregation. My church has a cine projector but how can that be distracting, when what is being shown on the big screen are bible passages and other messages which the speaker intends to pass across?

Bro honestly, once someone whips out an i-Pad or other device in the church and starts flipping away, those around him/her are bound to focus their attention on that person. Brief seconds albeit, but that shouldn't have arisen in the first place. Just as phone calls should not be made inside the church. Now where the church leader is the one who engages in this practice, every other person will follow.

All I am saying is that, there are aids which are being EFFECTIVELY used in the propagation of the Gospel (cine projectors, satellite TV, podcasts, etc), but the use of an i-Pad, laptop in place of the bible on the pulpit, is an over-kill. Bordering on pursuit of materialism.
Re: Would You Be Offended If Your Pastor Preached From Their Ipad? by xJaysonx(m): 11:52am On Sep 14, 2012
I totally agree with you threadstarter. I personally believe a real Man of God is supposed to use his "Holy Bible" to pray/preach and should never use any form of gadget to do like wise.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Is It Biblically Right To Wear A Necklace With The Image Of A Pastor? / Cobwebs Attack / What Happens After Death?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.