Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,179,099 members, 7,907,023 topics. Date: Wednesday, 31 July 2024 at 09:22 PM

Obama For President? - Foreign Affairs (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Obama For President? (20267 Views)

Poll: Would you vote for him if you could?

Yes: 75% (109 votes)
No: 24% (35 votes)
This poll has ended

Alert: Isis Posts Photos Thanking Obama For What They Just Got From Him [photos] / Republicans Criticize Obama For Going On Vacation (Pictures) / Everibody Done Turn To Obama For Nairaland! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Obama For President? by omoge(f): 4:24pm On Jan 10, 2008
I'm wondering why oyinbos with their cnn came bugging the old woman in Kenya. oyinbo sef. Do they have to show the woman peeling corn and her fowls?

why didn't they show his maternal grandmother too?

Obama all the way smiley
Re: Obama For President? by chiegemba(f): 4:42pm On Jan 10, 2008
4 Obama!!!let a blk rule 4 once in history although afriad 4 his life though
Re: Obama For President? by jerrymania(m): 5:24pm On Jan 10, 2008
I see the way peeps are talking much deeper concerning this guy. IF he becomes the American President then he is the horn of the antichrist that will partner with the vatican for greater world domination. lipsrsealed
Re: Obama For President? by McKren(m): 5:33pm On Jan 10, 2008
2004 Dem Nominee Kerry Endorsing Obama
By GLEN JOHNSON – 55 minutes ago

MYRTLE BEACH, S.C. (AP) — Barack Obama is being endorsed by fellow Sen. John Kerry, the Democrats' 2004 presidential nominee who lost to George W. Bush that year and gave up his own plans for a 2008 run a year ago.

Kerry, a senator from Massachusetts, planned to announce his support Thursday at 11 a.m. EST at a rally at the College of Charleston, said a Democrat familiar with Kerry's decision. The 2004 nominee was to argue that Obama can best unite the country and has the potential to create transformational change, the person said.

Kerry lost the South Carolina Democratic primary in 2004 to John Edwards, the former North Carolina senator who now is running third in the 2008 campaign behind Hillary Rodham Clinton and Obama.

Besides any potential help for Obama, Thursday's endorsement was a slap at Edwards, who was Kerry's running mate in the last election. The two had their differences during the campaign over strategy and spending. In post-mortem interviews, Edwards said he would have been more aggressive in challenging the unsubstantiated allegations of the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth, the Vietnam War veterans who questioned Kerry's military record.

Kerry's endorsement also was a jab at Clinton, the New York Democrat who won the New Hampshire primary after a loss to Obama in the Iowa caucuses.

Kerry had withheld his endorsement, hoping to have an impact on the race and avoid the fate of fellow Democrat Al Gore, the 2000 nominee who endorsed Howard Dean in 2004 shortly before the former Vermont governor's campaign imploded. Gore has made no endorsement so far this year.

While Kerry has been close to Clinton's husband, the former president, he was incensed in 2006 when she chided him after Kerry suggested that people who don't go to school "get stuck in Iraq." Aides said Kerry meant to jab at Bush and say "get us stuck in Iraq," and that he didn't appreciate Clinton piling onto the criticism he was already getting for the remark.

Kerry himself had considered running for president in 2008, but that plan fizzled with the botched remark. For many Democrats, his words revived bitter memories of his missteps in 2004, when he lost to Bush.

As for Obama, Kerry gave the young Illinois state senator his first turn in the national spotlight when he chose him to deliver the keynote speech at the 2004 Democratic National Convention. Later that year, Obama won election as a U.S. senator.

Since announcing a year ago he would not make the run, Kerry has prodded Democrats to take a stronger anti-war stance, pushing for troop withdrawal deadlines. In another area, he has backed environmental causes, writing a book with his wife on the issue.

Kerry should be able to provide some organizational muscle to Obama.

Since losing the 2004 race, Kerry has kept a national network of supporters intact. He has an e-mail network of 3 million supporters, according to aides. He also has traveled extensively raising millions of dollars for Democratic candidates nationwide.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jrPM1lkZdCsneuqiYB5Lwr3oQIvgD8U33MP04
Re: Obama For President? by seabiotics(m): 5:57pm On Jan 10, 2008
Posted by: jerrymania

I see the way peeps are talking much deeper concerning this guy. IF he becomes the American President then he is the horn of the antichrist that will partner with the vatican for greater world domination.

Wow! Where did that diatribe come from? What has the Anti-christ got to do with him becoming the President? shocked
My goodness! I know there is freedom of speech, but it also precludes employing a modicum level of rationale as well.

Also, I notice people are jumping on the bandwagon of Obama? Nothing wrong there. But my earlier assertion is that don't vote for him simply because he will be the first black president of America.

Similarly too, don't do same for Hilary on gender alone. Phew!
Re: Obama For President? by vigasimple(m): 6:25pm On Jan 10, 2008
seabiotics:

Also, I notice people are jumping on the bandwagon of Obama? Nothing wrong there. But my earlier assertion is that don't vote for him simply because he will be the first black president of America.

Similarly too, don't do same for Hilary on gender alone. Phew!

The world is a small global village, and you will be glad to know that both Senator OBAMA and Senator CLINTON are competent candidate even thoug one is Black with African father and white mother and the other a female senator.

If everything is balanced out and there is no race and gender thing, OBAMA will become victorious. CLINTON and her husband have had 8 years and we have seen what they can do, so let us see what the young energetic OBAMA can do.

If he is not black by now he would propably have blew the CLINTON competely apart to history but women came together for their own in New Hampshire on Tuesday because they knew if CLINTON (and she knew it that is why she was emotional and almost crying knowing she will have been a goner) if she looses N.H. don't foget opinion polls have her from 9-14% point behind OBAMA until that 'crocodile cry'- and that is why Americans don't like women politician's crying simply because of the 'deceptive effect'

I like most observer knew that she uses that 'teary eyes' to emotionally appeals to women voters in particular saying to them ' look I am one of you and if you don't vote for me in N.H, I will be out and you would't have any of you to become President or have a shout at it'

But I think the real reason women vote for her is to see the race go to the wire and not because they like her or that the women can even stand one of their own, knowing that a woman President may not even be good for them.

FEBRUARY 5TH IS THE DATE: Everything will come to a close and by GOD's grace Obama the nominee of the Democrat party
Re: Obama For President? by kosovo(m): 6:34pm On Jan 10, 2008
@seabiotics
i will keep saying, you guyz are jobless.
what do you mean by saying. if obama was white? aint they other white guyz there.?
u guyz aint good political analyst at all. u think say this wan naija politics.
obama this, obama that, obama, obama una go gree let peeps hear world.
WHITE HOUSE=wHITE PERSON.
NOR be aso rock.
Re: Obama For President? by bayo1(m): 6:59pm On Jan 10, 2008
BLACK man in WHITE house, well let's wait and see it happening
Re: Obama For President? by Iman3(m): 7:03pm On Jan 10, 2008
Let's not let the facts get in the way of sentiments.Let's not acknowledge that Obama is only half-black,half-white.
Re: Obama For President? by Panache(m): 7:19pm On Jan 10, 2008
Sentiments aside, the thing working for Obama is that he's a good speaker and colored. As an independent, I see Obama as a trick by the white majority to prevent the GOP candidiate from a serious contest. It is part of the grand plan to send Hillary packing, so that the Republican can slide to the White House.

What's in it for the average immigrant?Nothing! For instance, most Nigerian families in the Atl,Ga where I live, makes more than 60k/annum, have more than one job and an average of 3 children. The only people who can benefit from Obama win, I mean nomination,are the African-American baby mamas with 5 kids from 5 different fathers.

I don't care who wins the White House, because it can't really change much. The truth is that all of them agreed before Bush took us to Iraq. My main concern is how much tax is deducted from my pay check, so I hope and wish that Mitt Romney will steal the race.Democrats don't bring much than WELFARE!However, America needs a president that people will love to see, trust and like. This will help her PR in the face of the world.
Re: Obama For President? by babafuta: 8:44pm On Jan 10, 2008
Obama for president __ what a mirage. hilary will get d ticket.
Re: Obama For President? by seabiotics(m): 8:48pm On Jan 10, 2008
@seabiotics
i will keep saying, you guys are jobless.
what do you mean by saying. if obama was white? aint they other white guys there.?
u guys aint good political analyst at all. u think say this wan naija politics.
obama this, obama that, obama, obama una go gree let peeps hear world.
WHITE HOUSE=wHITE PERSON.
NOR be aso rock

Define joblessness in the context in which you used it? This is a public forum. And if are extremly busy as you won't as to believe, how come you've made more than one post and keep coming back? For a person who claims none of us is a good analyst, I bow to your analytical thinking skills in the manner in which you have expressed yourself.
Re: Obama For President? by babafuta: 8:49pm On Jan 10, 2008
I see the way peeps are talking much deeper concerning this guy. IF he becomes the American President then he is the horn of the antichrist that will partner with the vatican for greater world domination.

Jerrymania are you sure they are not already partnering? they have been partnering far back.
Re: Obama For President? by osisi5: 9:02pm On Jan 10, 2008
Blackcat:

I'm loving you right now Horus.
Nwando I love you too.
Yes Obama will win !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

love you too.
Re: Obama For President? by osisi5: 9:06pm On Jan 10, 2008
@Nwando,

Seriously, you are a hoot

Your comments, tantrums, and innate "obsession" for Obama to get into the White house has had me in stitches on this thread. Na wa o, you wan win contract?

@ seabiotics,I'm glad I made you laugh.
Bless you
Re: Obama For President? by osisi5: 9:15pm On Jan 10, 2008
babafuta:

Obama for president __ what a mirage. hilary will get d ticket.

When we swear in our hunk in shining armour come January 2009,some people will be biting their index finger.
He has already won!
Better get used to it
Re: Obama For President? by Blackcat(f): 9:38pm On Jan 10, 2008
+osisi:

When we swear in our hunk in shining armour come January 2009,some people will be biting their index finger.
He has already won!
Better get used to it

I'm loving you too grin
Re: Obama For President? by JeSoul(f): 10:00pm On Jan 10, 2008
Panache,
    this has got to be one of if not the best and most sensible response I've read on this thread! *standing ovation*
Lets quote you again:

Sentiments aside, the thing working for Obama is that he's a good speaker and colored.
100% true!

As an independent, I see Obama as a trick by the white majority to prevent the GOP candidiate from a serious contest. It is part of the grand plan to send Hillary packing, so that the Republican can slide to the White House.
   From one independent to another, you have deciphered the political game to a tee!

What's in it for the average immigrant? Nothing!
  LOL! tell that to all the people who are screaming and supporting him blindly.

For instance, most Nigerian families in the Atl,Ga where I live, makes more than 60k/annum, have more than one job and an average of 3 children. The only people who can benefit from Obama win, I mean nomination,are the African-American baby mamas with 5 kids from 5 different fathers.

EXACTLY!!! That is what I've been trying to tell my friends. If Obama wins all I and other people who make anything more than $50K a year will look forward to is higher taxes!!!! that will be our reward for working hard and having good jobs.

I don't care who wins the White House, because it can't really change much.
  sadly this is also true.

My main concern is how much tax is deducted from my pay check, so I hope and wish that Mitt Romney will steal the race. Democrats don't bring much than WELFARE!
  Spoken like a seasoned political observer. I hope too a Rep steals the win, they're more fiscally responsible than Democrats who want to provide "free" everything- usually at the cost of higher taxes on hardworking americans.

However, America needs a president that people will love to see, trust and like. This will help her PR in the face of the world.
  That's really the bottomline. And honestly who in the race currently fits that description of a president we can love, trust and depend on? I'm not sure there's anyone. It's a choice btw the least of evils.
Re: Obama For President? by bawomol(m): 10:11pm On Jan 10, 2008
some of u guys are idiots. mitt romney is a notorious flip flopper. he was a liberal, gay-right sympathizer while governor of massachusett(sp). now he is a religion loving conservative while running 4 president. if u wanted a tough maverick, go for mccain. rudy guiliani is pro-gay rights and abortion rights so i doubt you social conservatives want him as president. i don't see how the republics are supposedly more fiscally responsible.
Re: Obama For President? by JeSoul(f): 10:19pm On Jan 10, 2008
bawomol:

some of u guys are idiots. mitt romney is a notorious flip flopper. he was a liberal, gay-right sympathizer while governor of massachusett(sp). now he is a religion loving conservative while running 4 president. if u wanted a tough maverick, go for mccain. rudy guiliani is pro-gay rights and abortion rights so i doubt you social conservatives want him as president. i don't see how the republics are supposedly more fiscally responsible.
  common now no need to call anyone an idiot, everyone's got their opinion so abeg try and respectfully disagree aight?
  True Romney has been caught flipflopping (I know him well because I live in Boston) but he's never supported gay rights, Rudy is too over the board for most conservative people - you're right. But remember we're choosing the LEAST of all the evils because Lawd knows no one candidate is close to perfect. McCain is a good choice but thing is that dude wants to bring back the draft! and to that I say a big hell no!

Dems are historically prone to "welfare" type programmes and providing free this and that, citizenship for illegals etc while Reps want people to work their way up. Hillary wants to give free money to babies, provide healthcare for all etc. and many other dems are also inclined towards that direction. Now not that the Reps are "perfect" by any stretch of the imagination, they also have their many flaws.
Re: Obama For President? by Iman3(m): 10:24pm On Jan 10, 2008
JeSoul:

Dems are historically prone to "welfare" type programmes and providing free [/b]this and that, citizenship for illegals etc while Reps want people to work their way up. Hillary wants to give[b] free money to babies, provide healthcare for all etc. and many other dems are also inclined towards that direction. Now not that the Reps are "perfect" by any stretch of the imagination, they also have their many flaws.

Free wetin? There is nothing like free money,that money has to come from somewhere and it is from the pockets of hardworking people.Meanwhile,welfare scroungers sitting on their backside benefit from this largesse at the expense of the talented and hardworking.
Re: Obama For President? by JeSoul(f): 10:29pm On Jan 10, 2008
I-man:

Free wetin? There is nothing like free money,that money has to come from somewhere and it is from the pockets of hardworking people. Meanwhile,welfare scroungers sitting on their backside benefit from this largesse at the expense of the talented and hardworking.
LOL,
you are exactly right! that's why I'm saying the dems and all their "free" whatever is what scares me away from their camp! because it is not really free! It's like stealing $100 extra from my paycheck to pay $50 for "my very basic education or minimal healthcare" and then keeping the change!
Re: Obama For President? by EmekaNaija(m): 10:32pm On Jan 10, 2008
@Panache

The only people who can benefit from Obama win, I mean nomination,are the African-American baby mamas with 5 kids from 5 different fathers.

Whats wrong with that. Arent they Americans. They should benefit even more than we Nigerians because it is their country, and that is where they call home. Nigerians have an alternative back home.

I'm happy for Clinton for pulling that one of in NH. Its not over for Obama because we all know he's the best chance for the Democrats to the white house. Trust me, Clinton would make a mess of her success in NH by going back to her old ways. The only way i see her winning the nomination is to keep shedding tears before any state caucus. Obama for President!
Re: Obama For President? by Horus(m): 10:45pm On Jan 10, 2008
[img]http://afp.google.com/media/ALeqM5hnWBGMlUzxIA__ORWXWFczUzGUWg?size=m[/img]
Barack Obama waves with colleague John Kerry

2004 hopeful Kerry backs Obama for White House

COLUMBIA, South Carolina (AFP) — Defeated Democratic nominee John Kerry Thursday warmly embraced Barack Obama's White House run, implicitly attacking Hillary Clinton as a representative of stale old politics.
The moment was nigh for a far-reaching transformation of the nation, Kerry told a pumped-up Obama rally in South Carolina, "and I believe that this moment is the moment that we should make Barack Obama president of the United States."
The Massachusetts senator, who lost the 2004 election to President George W. Bush, said he "dared to hope" then that a fractured country might be reunited in Bush's second term.
"It didn't, but it will when Barack Obama is president," Kerry said in a fiery speech in Charleston that did not mention Clinton by name, but was full of veiled references to her attacks on Obama's lack of experience.
Taking on Clinton's charge that the Illinois senator is offering the American people "false hopes," Kerry said: "My friends, the only charge that rings false is one that tells you not to hope for a better tomorrow.
"The cynics may have spoken, but it's the people who will decide."
Obama burst on to the national stage with an electrifying speech at the 2004 Democratic convention that nominated Kerry in his doomed bid to unseat Bush.
Kerry still carries some sway among Democratic donors, fundraisers and activists who could assist Obama in his nail-biting contest against the former first lady for the Democratic nomination this time round.
Kerry's endorsement might also influence other members of the Democratic establishment who have so far stayed neutral between Obama and Clinton.
Heading into contests in Nevada and South Carolina, the race is finely poised after Obama took the Iowa caucuses only to see a resurgent Clinton win in New Hampshire Tuesday.
"I want to thank John Kerry for his support in this campaign but more importantly for his service to this nation," Obama told the rally, reprising his retooled stump speech that promises "Yes, we can."
Attacking the "chorus of cynics," he offered "not just change as a slogan, but real change, fundamental change, change that you can believe in -- that's why I'm running to be president of the United States of America."
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything that is false about hope," added the man bidding to be the first black president of the United States.
Kerry's vice presidential running mate in 2004, John Edwards, is back in the race this year, and is campaigning hard in his native South Carolina after disappointing finishes in Iowa and New Hampshire.
In a statement, Edwards said he respected Kerry's decision to endorse his rival in the 2008 contest.
But he added that this election was "about the future, not the past," promising to take on the status quo on behalf of the powerless.

Source: http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5hrv3xwT9t7wsEZsJhNnI60CRPjtg
Re: Obama For President? by merge(f): 11:06pm On Jan 10, 2008
Clinton for President!!!!
Re: Obama For President? by merge(f): 11:09pm On Jan 10, 2008
If you forget gender and skin color, Hillary Clinton is the best president.
Re: Obama For President? by Iman3(m): 11:52pm On Jan 10, 2008
See All Michigan Democratic Primary Polling Data

Poll Date Clinton Obama Edwards Richardson
RCP Average 09/01 - 11/13 44.7 21.7 13.0 4.3
Detroit News 11/07 - 11/13 49 18 15 1
Strategic Vision (R) 10/05 - 10/07 42 26 10 7
American Res. Group 09/01 - 09/04 43 21 14 5

See All Nevada Democratic Caucus Polling Data
Poll Date Clinton Obama Edwards Richardson
RCP Average 11/16 - 12/06 41.3 21.3 11.7 5.7
American Res. Group 12/01 - 12/06 45 18 14 2
Mason-Dixon 12/03 - 12/05 34 26 9 7
Research 2000 11/16 - 11/19 45 20 12 8

See All South Carolina Democratic Primary Polling Data

Poll Date Obama Clinton Edwards
RCP Average 01/04 - 01/09 44.0 31.0 15.3
Rasmussen 01/09 - 01/09 42 30 15
InsiderAdvantage 01/07 - 01/07 40 33 15
SurveyUSA 01/04 - 01/06 50 30 16

See All Florida Democratic Primary Polling Data
Poll Date Clinton Obama Edwards
RCP Average 12/12 - 01/07 46.0 26.3 13.3
InsiderAdvantage 01/07 - 01/07 40 32 9
Quinnipiac 12/12 - 12/18 43 21 19
SurveyUSA 12/15 - 12/16 53 21 19
Strategic Vision (R) 12/14 - 12/16 48 31 6

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/polls/

Hillary is leading in the 4 coming states except for South Carolina.I think she is going to nail this nomination
Re: Obama For President? by Nobody: 11:55pm On Jan 10, 2008
I-man:

Hillary is leading in the 4 coming states except for South Carolina.I think she is going to nail this nomination

Just the same way she led in Iowa and was soundly defeated even by Edwards . . . and just the same way the "pundits" predicted a double digit win for Obama in NH and he ended up with humble pie.
Re: Obama For President? by osisi5: 12:00am On Jan 11, 2008
Horus abeg keep those smiling pictures of Obamsy coming in
How can anybody say no to a man that God created and declared good!
Re: Obama For President? by osisi5: 12:03am On Jan 11, 2008
davidylan:

Just the same way she led in Iowa and was soundly defeated even by Edwards . . . and just the same way the "pundits" predicted a double digit win for Obama in NH and he ended up with humble pie.

didn't the polls say Obamy was going to win New Hamshire
abeg fashi those stupid polls
Re: Obama For President? by McKren(m): 12:04am On Jan 11, 2008
I think polls have no place in this current race.

The polls even if they are anything to go by is not reflective of Obama's campaign strategy. His target are mainly the independents since the democratic establishment backed clinton so early in the race. And trends show these independents seem to make up their minds 48hrs to election or less. So if Obama is able to maintain this momentum, with the backing of Major Unions in Nevada he has a good chance of wining Nevada and South Carolina with the endorsement of John Kerry and his Army of followers.

The recurring effect of the above is capable of defying any polls.

Besides that the Clintons on their part are not sleeping. So it is safe to say the race is just open and no polls should be taken seriously anymore because this years political process looks erratic.
Re: Obama For President? by Iman3(m): 12:04am On Jan 11, 2008
davidylan:

Did she lead in Iowa?The polls I saw-Rasmussen reports-put her behind Obama few days to the election.N.Hampshire was a polling anomaly.

Obama is trailing by 20 points in Nevada,Florida and Michigan,it will amount to a monumental cockup if the pollsters have overestimated Hillary's lead by a whopping 20 points.I have never seen such before.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (16) (Reply)

Mike Pence Disinvited From Wisconsin Lutheran Commencement Speech / Andrew Tate Charged With Rape, Human Trafficking in Romania / Beijing Hospital Fire Leaves 29 Dead, Patients Flee Windows

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.