Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,133 members, 7,916,330 topics. Date: Friday, 09 August 2024 at 08:37 PM

How To Get A House-Help In Nigeria By Elnathan John - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How To Get A House-Help In Nigeria By Elnathan John (9683 Views)

Man Arrested For Abducting, Impregnating House Help / This Is What My House Help Did To Me / How To Be A Nigerian Woman By Elnathan John (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Get A House-Help In Nigeria By Elnathan John by coogar: 12:55pm On Oct 18, 2012
freecocoa: Well you are right what I'm actually against is maltreatment of these children, if people will actually treat these kids like they would their own, I'm sure Nigeria will be a better place.

nigerians maltreat everyone - you should see some nigerian parents when they discipline their own children - i guess that part of our culture is innate!

Ujujoan:
I imagine she might want to buy from him to 'help' him finish his wares early so he can go home and 'rest'. Lol grin ;d

Sisi_Kill:
I didn't make up those rules in my little world, so nah, I don't have a monopoly on knowledge. . .I just like to read.

see sheer naivety in display......
those laws are just copied and pasted - it's not practised! have you seen the legal age of alcohol usage in nigeria? it says 18! grin grin

i am sure sisikill feels if you are less than 18 in nigeria, you would not be allowed to buy a bottle of beer - scratch that, where's the same law that listed the rights of a child in nigeria when kids are forced into marriage in your backyard? i don't focus on what's written, i focus on what is enforced! so my dear sisikill, try another angle and please answer my question!

1 Like

Re: How To Get A House-Help In Nigeria By Elnathan John by Nobody: 1:01pm On Oct 18, 2012
Sisi_Kill: EXCERPTS FROM THE NIGERIAN CHILD'S RIGHT ACT

SECTION 18 OF THE NIGERIAN CHILD RIGHTS ACT

SECTION 28 OF THE NIGERIAN CHILD'S ACT

SECTION 30 OF THE NIGERIAN CHILD'S RIGHT ACT

I didn't make up those rules in my little world, so nah, I don't have a monopoly on knowledge. . .I just like to read.

Did you just quote an 'act' Maybe you should read the right things . . . just saying!
Re: How To Get A House-Help In Nigeria By Elnathan John by freecocoa(f): 1:02pm On Oct 18, 2012
coogar:

nigerians maltreat everyone - you should see some nigerian parents when they discipline their own children - i guess that part of our culture is innate!

Hmm, so should we keep quiet and encourage that?
Re: How To Get A House-Help In Nigeria By Elnathan John by SisiKill1: 1:05pm On Oct 18, 2012
Ujujoan:

Did you just quote an 'act' Maybe you should read the right things . . . just saying!
Please provide "the right thing" so we can all read together.

1 Like

Re: How To Get A House-Help In Nigeria By Elnathan John by Nobody: 1:10pm On Oct 18, 2012
I just thought you should wait till there's a law to quote . . . You have to agree with Coogar, copying and pasting an act draft almost 10 years ago is quite naive!

For the mean time, you might want to try something as easy as this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Child_labour_in_Nigeria

I don't like to read but since you do, there you go . . . cool cool
Re: How To Get A House-Help In Nigeria By Elnathan John by coogar: 1:17pm On Oct 18, 2012
freecocoa: Hmm, so should we keep quiet and encourage that?

i am saying charity begins at home! we should take a hard look @ ourselves first before pointing accusing fingers!
Re: How To Get A House-Help In Nigeria By Elnathan John by SisiKill1: 1:40pm On Oct 18, 2012
Ujujoan: I just thought you should wait till there's a law to quote . . . You have to agree with Coogar, copying and pasting an act draft almost 10 years ago is quite naive!

For the mean time, you might want to try something as easy as this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Child_labour_in_Nigeria

I don't like to read but since you do, there you go . . . cool cool
I am sorry but what exactly am I supposed to be reading on this link....that there is child labor in Nigeria? Errrr.....I think the thread pretty much agrees with that.

What we are talking about is CHILD LABOR LAWS...y'all said there weren't any but you are obviously wrong because it is right there in the link I posted....I know you don't like reading but please try just this once....Pretty Please? smiley

Is there a chance many people don't know about these laws....Absolutely and that's why we have a Medium such as this....to share knowledge.

Oh while you are it, look up the definition of an act in the legal sense.

Lmao @ quoting an act drafted almost 10 years ago. I guess the Brits who have acts and laws from hundreds of years ago would have to throw them out seeing as laws like fashion, goes out of season. Talk about Naive!! Lmao

1 Like

Re: How To Get A House-Help In Nigeria By Elnathan John by Nobody: 1:50pm On Oct 18, 2012
Sisi_Kill:
I am sorry but what exactly am I supposed to be reading on this link....that there is child labor in Nigeria? Errrr.....I think the thread pretty much agrees with that.

What we are talking about is CHILD LABOR LAWS...y'all said there weren't any but you are obviously wrong because it is right there in the link I posted....I know you don't like reading but please try just this once....Pretty Please? smiley

Is there a chance many people don't know about these laws....Absolutely and that's why we have a Medium such as this....to share knowledge.

Oh while you are it, look up the definition of an act in the legal sense.

Lmao @ quoting an act drafted almost 10 years ago. I guess the Brits who have acts and laws from hundreds of years ago would have to throw them out seeing as laws like fashion, goes out of season. Talk about Naive!! Lmao

I wanted you to understand the meaning of Child Labour first before quoting a copy and paste act! Funny how you selectively read wat you want and relate it to a totally un-related topic!

Half education they say is dangerous. I'd rather stick to my non-reading ways! cool cool
Re: How To Get A House-Help In Nigeria By Elnathan John by SisiKill1: 1:54pm On Oct 18, 2012
Ujujoan:

I wanted you to understand the meaning of Child Labour first before quoting a copy and paste act! Funny how you selectively read wat you want and relate it to a totally un-related topic!

Half education they say is dangerous. I'd rather stick to my non-reading ways! cool cool
How is my post about child labor laws unrelated to to the topic at hand?!

Uju we all here to learn naa and I have admitted I have no monopoly on knowledge, so please, go ahead. . teach me, break it down for me crayola style. I am at thy mercy, always ready to learn. smiley

1 Like

Re: How To Get A House-Help In Nigeria By Elnathan John by coogar: 1:56pm On Oct 18, 2012
Ujujoan:

sisikill should show us any man/woman that has been apprehended/prosecuted in nigeria for hiring kids as house-help!
Re: How To Get A House-Help In Nigeria By Elnathan John by Nobody: 2:06pm On Oct 18, 2012
Sisi_Kill:
How is my post about child labor laws unrelated to to the topic at hand?!

Uju we all here to learn naa and I have admitted I have no monopoly on knowledge, so please, go ahead. . teach me, break it down for me crayola style. I am at thy mercy, always ready to learn. smiley

I called your post . . .

1. Selective because you ignored the area where govt is supposed to provide basic neccesities for the children. If government were to provide for the children, do you think any parent will let his or her child go to be someone's help? And yet you compare the Nigerian child to those in the west!

2. Un-related cos we are talking of maltreating helps and you are quoting a copy and paste act!

I dont read like you do but I think these things are simple!

You are yet to answer coogar's question . .

Do you buy from an under-aged child vendor? If yes, then how are you any different for h/her employer
Re: How To Get A House-Help In Nigeria By Elnathan John by SisiKill1: 2:10pm On Oct 18, 2012
This was my post

Sisi_Kill:

So lemme see if I understand this. . .you are talking about taking care of YOUR siblings, in YOUR home, with YOUR own Parents? Oooookay, so was there some third party in this mix collecting money on your head for the things you were doing for YOUR siblings, in YOUR home with YOUR parents? If there wasn't. . .then I'm sorry but I fail to see what your point is.

We all did chores as children the difference here. . .a difference, which quite frankly I am at a loss as to why it seems a difficult concept to grasps, is that WE WERE NOT THROWN INTO THE LABOR MARKET TO WORK FOR AN INCOME. No matter how "wicked" we thought our parents were, we always went to bed with the comforting knowledge that come rain or sunshine, they had our backs, they had to. . .they are our parents after all.

That knowledge alone shows why you can't compare what you did. . .what many of us did at home for our parents with what these children househelps rented out to strangers do.

The reason a contract is signed when someone gets a jobs is so an understanding of what is expected from both parties is established. Children do not sign contracts because the law does not believes (and rightly so) that they are capable of understanding the intricacies of such document and by virtue of that fact, they can not be put to work. SIMPLE!!

Now if you can find a lawyer who will draw up a contract between you and a child stating exactly what you expect from her and how she will be compensated and what her rights are. . .then please go ahead, hire all the child househelps you can get your hands on. Until then what you are doing when you hire a child to work for you is ILLEGAL and MORALLY REPREHENSIBLE and no shade of grey can ever make it right.

This was your response to it. . .basically saying I made things up and I am judging with no objectivity.
Ujujoan:

Why do people always assume they have a monopoly to knwoledge

In your own small world, you've judged b/w what is right and wrong with absolute disregard to objectivity! If that isn't the height of hypocricy, I wonder what is!

And I came back with this (to show it isn't me judging oh, it is right there in the law of the land

Sisi_Kill: EXCERPTS FROM THE NIGERIAN CHILD'S RIGHT ACT

SECTION 18 OF THE NIGERIAN CHILD RIGHTS ACT

SECTION 28 OF THE NIGERIAN CHILD'S ACT

SECTION 30 OF THE NIGERIAN CHILD'S RIGHT ACT

You now say it is unrelated to the topic that I am posting an act from 10 years ago. Color me confused!!!

Oh by the way, in the spirit of sharing and learning. . .

The Free Dictionary (I love the emphasis on FREE)
Act   [akt]
noun
1. anything done, being done, or to be done; deed; performance: a heroic act.
2. the process of doing: caught in the act.
3. a formal decision, law, or the like, by a legislature, ruler, court, or other authority; decree or edict; statute; judgment, resolve, or award: an act of Congress.
4.an instrument or document stating something done or transacted.
5.one of the main divisions of a play or opera: the second act of Hamlet.

Merriam Webster
1act noun \ˈakt\

Definition of ACT

a : the doing of a thing : deed
b : something done voluntarily
2 a state of real existence rather than possibility
3 the formal product of a legislative body : statute; also : a decision or determination of a sovereign, a legislative council, or a court of justice
4 the process of doing : action <caught in the act>
5 often capitalized : a formal record of something done or transacted
6 one of the principal divisions of a theatrical work (as a play or opera)

Accurate Reliable Dictionary
Act
Definition: The result of public deliberation; the decision or determination of a legislative body, council, court of justice, etc.; a decree, edit, law, judgment, resolve, award; as, an act of Parliament, or of Congress.

Duhaime.org » Legal Dictionary
Act Definition:
A bill which has passed through the various legislative steps required for it and which has become law.

I agree with you on something - Half education is indeed dangerous.

1 Like

Re: How To Get A House-Help In Nigeria By Elnathan John by Nobody: 2:19pm On Oct 18, 2012
I said you were 'judging' . . . not making up things. Please stop putting words in my mouth!

Judging because you assume a child is better off with h/her parents than with someone else who is in a better position to provide for the child. Since you can't tell if the poster will maltreat the child, you can't conclude remaining in the village with parents is a better option for the child. It's easy for you to google an act made years ago with zero enforcement so far, and claim you know it all!

I also said you were not being objective because you are comparing the average Nigerian child to those in the west, where the government is much more responsive to the needs of their citizens!

If you still don't get it, I dont know how else to break it down to you!

2 Likes

Re: How To Get A House-Help In Nigeria By Elnathan John by SisiKill1: 2:19pm On Oct 18, 2012
Lmao, I don't like answering questions that the other person won't be able to prove because what almost always happens is the questioner take the stance of "You are lying" if it is not the answer they like . . .I mean what is the point??!! However for the sake of whatever. . .

Yes, I bought things from child hawkers but now that I know better. . .I don't!

Isn't that the whole purpose of learning? To knowing better and acting accordingly??! There are so many things we have all done because of ignorance, does that mean we can't have speak up against it anymore, especially when we know now that is wrong?!

Na wa oh!!

1 Like

Re: How To Get A House-Help In Nigeria By Elnathan John by coogar: 2:24pm On Oct 18, 2012
Sisi_Kill: Lmao, I don't like answering questions that the other person won't be able to prove because what almost always happens is the questioner take the stance of "You are lying" if it is not the answer they like . . .I mean what is the point??!! However for the sake of whatever. . .

I bought things from child hawkers but now that I know better. . .I don't!

Isn't that the whole purpose of learning? To knowing better and acting accordingly??! There are so many things we have all done because of ignorance, does that mean we can't have speak up against it anymore, especially when we know now that is wrong?!

Na wa oh!!

sisikill, don't complicate matters by lying you stopped patronising child vendors cos it would make you look like a white elephant liar! now that you know better - you don't buy from them abi you would stop buying from them?? ??

please elaborate....
Re: How To Get A House-Help In Nigeria By Elnathan John by Nobody: 2:24pm On Oct 18, 2012
Sisi_Kill: Lmao, I don't like answering questions that the other person won't be able to prove because what almost always happens is the questioner take the stance of "You are lying" if it is not the answer they like . . .I mean what is the point??!! However for the sake of whatever. . .

Yes, I bought things from child hawkers but now that I know better. . .I don't!

Na wa oh!!

Now try for a minute to clear your mind of those confusing things you read online and let's face reality . . .

We are in Nigeria, a place stricken with abject poverty. Government have laws which they don't enforce . . . The are supposed to provide education and health facilities to children of a certain age but they dont! The child's parent, in a bid to make ends meet, gives the child a bucket of Pure water to sell on the streets and provide money for school fees, while they work all day in the farm to provide for food for the family.

You and ever other 'well-meaning' Nigerian refuse to patronize the child becauuse of the 'Act' against child labour. . . The child carries the pure water up and down the street all day and doesnt make any money and has to drop out of school (cos govt. is not paying his fees) . . .

Are you helping this child

1 Like

Re: How To Get A House-Help In Nigeria By Elnathan John by SisiKill1: 2:25pm On Oct 18, 2012
Ujujoan: I said you were 'judging' . . . not making up things. Please stop putting words in my mouth!

Judging because you assume a child is better off with h/her parents than with someone else who is in a better position to provide for the child. Since you can't tell if the poster will maltreat the child, you can't conclude remaining in the village with parents is a better option for the child. It's easy for you to google an act made years ago with zero enforcement so far, and claim you know it all!

I also said you were not being objective because you are comparing the average Nigerian child to those in the west, where the government is much more responsive to the needs of their citizens!

If you still don't get it, I dont know how else to break it down to you!

I think maybe you are mistaking my posts for someone else's...that or you are choosing to put words in my mouth. Since you don't like people putting words in your mouth, it is safe to say you wouldn't do that to someone else so I am inclined to think it is the former which is supported by your stance against reading but once again. . .I beg you READ my posts again and tell me where I mentioned the west or compared an average child with a child in the west.
Re: How To Get A House-Help In Nigeria By Elnathan John by Nobody: 2:26pm On Oct 18, 2012
coogar:

sisikill, don't complicate matters by lying you stopped patronising child vendors cos it would make you look like a white elephant liar! now that you know better - you don't buy from them abi you would stop buying from them?? ??

please elaborate....

I gues what she's trying to say is that now that she has read the act she will stop patronizing the kids. Let them die of hunger and starvation ni . . . afterall na she born them
Re: How To Get A House-Help In Nigeria By Elnathan John by coogar: 2:34pm On Oct 18, 2012
Ujujoan:

I gues what she's trying to say is that now that she has read the act she will stop patronizing the kids. Let them die of hunger and starvation ni . . . afterall na she born them

if that is what she means then as at the time she posted last night, she was a hypocrite or ignorant hypocrite - i will let her decide herself which one describes her more aptly!

of course, you are right - no one would cater for those kids if we don't buy from them! they either die of starvation or hunger or they seek alternative means: crime!

we are damned if we patronise these kids and we are damned if we don't!!! which takes us back to square one - the issue of child labour in nigeria is not enforceable and should not be compared to how it works abroad!

2 Likes

Re: How To Get A House-Help In Nigeria By Elnathan John by Nobody: 2:36pm On Oct 18, 2012
Sisi_Kill:

I think maybe you are mistaking my posts for someone else's...that or you are choosing to put words in my mouth. Since you don't like people putting words in your mouth, it is safe to say you wouldn't do that to someone else so I am inclined to think it is the former which is supported by your stance against reading but once again. . .I beg you READ my posts again and tell me where I mentioned the west or compared an average child with a child in the west.

Okay so we at least agree on something . . . you were 'judging' . . . .

Now back to the comparism. Obviously, the fact that you think a child is better off with the parents shows you are comparing with what is obtainable where you live (or what you experienced).

I did chores growing up too and like you rightly said, I was glad I'd wake up in the comfort of my bed with my teddy bear and get a kiss from daddy . . . But how many of these people actually have a roof over their heads ?

I've seen children living in uncompleted buildings without a roof over their head, exposed to rain and sunshine. I've seen children die of something as little as malaria . . . I've seen children suffer from harsh and abject poverty and turn out to be rougues, prost1tues or sold into early marriages. If you were such a child's parent and had the option of sending him/her to live with someone you are sure can provide these basic needs for them, will you let them keep suffering

1 Like

Re: How To Get A House-Help In Nigeria By Elnathan John by SisiKill1: 2:37pm On Oct 18, 2012
Ujujoan:

Now try for a minute to clear your mind of those confusing things you read online and let's face reality . . .

We are in Nigeria, a place stricken with abject poverty. Government have laws which they don't enforce . . . The are supposed to provide education and health facilities to children of a certain age but they dont! The child's parent, in a bid to make ends meet, gives the child a bucket of Pure water to sell on the streets and provide money for school fees, while they work all day in the farm to provide for food for the family.

You and ever other 'well-meaning' Nigerian refuse to patronize the child becauuse of the 'Act' against child labour. . . The child carries the pure water up and down the street all day and doesnt make any money and has to drop out of school (cos govt. is not paying his fees) . . .

Are you helping this child
Is this the part where I start mentioning what I do to help needy children, so you can turn around and call it bragging or in the worst case say I am lying??!! Uju, we've both been on these boards long enough to know how it works. cheesy cheesy

However, I will say this. . .I am not naive enough to think the only way I can help a child is to buy what she is hawking or taking her in as a housemaid. Reading has afforded me the opportunities to learn of other ways a child in need can be helped and thank God I am in a position to put some of the things I have learnt...from reading into effect.

Do I think what I am doing is going to eradicate child labor in Nigeria? Again, I am not that naive, I fully understand the situation on ground. I do hope though that the more we talk about these issues, the more knowledgeable we get so each and every one of us here will answer this clarion call to help a child in need in a way that isn't exploitative.
Re: How To Get A House-Help In Nigeria By Elnathan John by SisiKill1: 2:38pm On Oct 18, 2012
coogar:

please elaborate....

Thank you for proving my point.

Why ask a question you have no intention of believing the answer??!! cheesy
Re: How To Get A House-Help In Nigeria By Elnathan John by Nobody: 2:44pm On Oct 18, 2012
Sisi_Kill:
Is this the part where I start mentioning what I do to help needy children, so you can turn around and call it bragging or in the worst case say I am lying??!! Uju, we've both being on these boards to know how it works. cheesy cheesy

However, I will say this. . .I am not naive enough to think the only way I can help a child is to buy what she is selling. Reading has afforded me the opportunities to learn of other ways a child in need can be helped and thank God I am in a position to put some of the things I have learnt...from reading into effect.

Do I think what I am doing is going to eradicate child labor in Nigeria? Again, I am not that naive, I fully understand the situation on ground. I do hope though that the more we talk about these issues, the more knowledgeable we get so each and every one of us here will answer this clarion call to help a child in need in a way that isn't exploitative.

Ordinarily, taking these children to live with someone as helps should not be considered charity because it isn't. But the situation in Nigeria has made it become 'charity'.

Okay take me for example, where I stay, the going rate for a professional nanny/help is 8k - 10k monthly. I have a woman in her mid 40s who works for me. I had this option and the option of taking a distant relative, paying h/her sch fees, health needs, feeding, housing e.t.c. I chose the former cos it's cheaper and easier for me.

Now my mum thinks I'm being 'uncharitable' cos I have relatives who desperately need 'help'! If I decide to fall to pressure and take one of these kids, how do you expect me NOT to consider it charity

And that is aside from the real charity we are obliged to do here in Nigeria everyday!
Re: How To Get A House-Help In Nigeria By Elnathan John by coogar: 2:47pm On Oct 18, 2012
Sisi_Kill:
Thank you for proving my point.
Why ask a question you have no intention of believing the answer??!! cheesy

i was only testing your honest-o-meter, i guess.....
seriously, i would like to know when you stopped patronising child vendors in nigeria - did it stop a while back or it stopped 5 minutes ago? grin grin cheesy

see, i don't have a dog in this fight. i cannot argue for/against the principles of child labour in nigeria cos it's a grey area. however, it should also be made clear that people who speak against it especially in nigeria are hypocrites because they aid/encourage child labour everyday of the week consciously or subconsciously!
Re: How To Get A House-Help In Nigeria By Elnathan John by SisiKill1: 2:51pm On Oct 18, 2012
Ujujoan:

Okay so we at least agree on something . . . you were 'judging' . . . .
Errr. . .How did we agree that I was judging? Abeg, this woman please read naaa! Please! These posts are not long oh. 15 sentences at the most.

Now back to the comparism. Obviously, the fact that you think a child is better off with the parents shows you are comparing with what is obtainable where you live (or what you experienced).

I did chores growing up too and like you rightly said, I was glad I'd wake up in the comfort of my bed with my teddy bear and get a kiss from daddy . . . But how many of these people actually have a roof over their heads ?

I've seen children living in uncompleted buildings without a roof over their head, exposed to rain and sunshine. I've seen children die of something as little as malaria . . . I've seen children suffer from harsh and abject poverty and turn out to be rougues, prost1tues or sold into early marriages. If you were such a child's parent and had the option of sending him/her to live with someone you are sure can provide these basic needs for them, will you let them keep suffering

So the only way to help a child who lives in an uncompleted building with her family is to take her away from them? Hmmm, I woulda thought helping the family to get back on their feet, not become multi millionaires oh but enough to be able to afford the basics, would be a more ideal solution but hey. . .that's just me.

I guess the THeN group who chose to help the Ubahs (sp) get back on their feet instead of snatching their child away from them and putting him to work, must have it wrong. And Ayomide, the little girl who was living with her grandma. . .it would have been better to take her away from granny right? Easier to get her own Pure water tray instead of equipping the grandma with resources to better care for her (Thank Goodness for the caliber of people we have in that organization)

Lmao! I give up! Y'all please carry on with the turning a child into a Housemaid to help her strategy! After all, it is okay since there is no law against it. . .oh wait, there is an act but is that a law? Is it a law if it's from 10 years ago? Oh heck, what does it matter anyway. . .nobody enforces it, so you are good.

2 Likes

Re: How To Get A House-Help In Nigeria By Elnathan John by Nobody: 2:53pm On Oct 18, 2012
Sisi_Kill:

In Nigeria, the rich are the trully opressed. Do you know how many requests I get everyday just because I have a job? Nobody cares to know how I feed my family?

My grouse with those laws is that for them to work, government has to play it's part first. It's cheaper for me to hire a professional help than for me to be forced to take a relative as a househelp. If government can provide for these children, then my mum won't have to keep bugging me to stop 'wasting' money on professional helps and take a relative's child instead.

Imagine if there were free education, children of certain ages being paid, health care provided free of charge for the poor . . . . . . Why would a child of 11years ever have to leave home in the name of being a househelp to complete h/her education
Re: How To Get A House-Help In Nigeria By Elnathan John by Nobody: 3:00pm On Oct 18, 2012
Sisi_Kill:
Errr. . .How did we agree that I was judging? Abeg, this woman please read naaa! Please! These posts are not long oh. 15 sentences at the most.

So the only way to help a child who lives in an uncompleted building with her family is to take her away from them? Hmmm, I woulda thought helping the family to get back on their feet, not become multi millionaires oh but enough to be able to afford the basics, would a more idea solution but hey. . .that's just me.

I guess the THen group who chose to help the Ubahs (sp) get back on their feet instead of snatching their child away from them and putting him to work, must have it wrong. And Ayomide, the little girl who was living with her grandma. . .it would have been better to take her away from granny right? Easier to get her own Pure water tray instead of equipping the grandma with resources to better care for her.

Lmao! I give up! Y'all please carry on with the turning a child into a Housemaid to help her strategy! After all, it is okay since there is no law against it. . .oh wait, there is an act but is that a law? Is it a law if it's from 10 years ago? Oh heck, what does it matter anyway. . .nobody enforces it, so you are good.

There's where you go wrong again with your judgemental approach to 'helping'.

You assume I'm better off to help provide an income for the family. What if I'm not

What if I can only afford a budget of 5k monthly to hire a nanny for my kids. What if my husband and I have to scrape to make ends meet. What if I'm not even sure of my next years rent and you are talking of putting a roof over that family's head? What if the best way I can help is by chanelling my nanny-budget into hiring a nanny from that family, who in turn will help the parents provide for their needs. If it so happens that that nanny happens to be a 12-year old child, am I supposed to turn a blind eye and say 'well I can't help them . . . '

Bear in mind that I can afford to get anybody of my choice at that same price and infact, having to take up that child is an inconvenince on it's own (afterall who wants a 12-year old babysitting?)!

Again, let's face the harsh realities!

We all have Ubas and Ayomides in our lives . . . . But except one can afford to hire professional helps and help the needy at the same time, you have no right to judge them!

I chose professional help because I've always put my intersts above that of other. But I'll understand with those who will like to take the other option!

1 Like

Re: How To Get A House-Help In Nigeria By Elnathan John by coogar: 3:05pm On Oct 18, 2012
Sisi_Kill:
So the only way to help a child who lives in an uncompleted building with her family is to take her away from them? Hmmm, I woulda thought helping the family to get back on their feet, not become multi millionaires oh but enough to be able to afford the basics, would be a more ideal solution but hey. . .that's just me.

help them get back on their feet? of course, hiring that child to do petty house chores and paying his parents while you educate, feed and groom the child is far more effective than throwing money at the parents! this is africa - such money would be used by the father of the child to secure more women to impregnate and continue the vicious cycle!

I guess the THeN group who chose to help the Ubahs (sp) get back on their feet instead of snatching their child away from them and putting him to work, must have it wrong. And Ayomide, the little girl who was living with her grandma. . .it would have been better to take her away from granny right? Easier to get her own Pure water tray instead of equipping the grandma with resources to better care for her (Thank Goodness for the caliber of people we have in that organization)

stop citing isolated cases and using it like its the norm! the ubahs got help by a group, not an individual. stop mixing apple and oranges! the amount each member of the group contributed individually couldn't have done much for the ubahs - this is where the difference lies.....

it's better that way than to give her N1000 which she would soon exhaust and return back to square one. a child in my custody would get fed, clothed, housed and educated while i still put a monthly stipend in the pockets of her parents. people who hire young maids do not give them chores bigger than them - so the physically-tasking chores are totally off limits!
Re: How To Get A House-Help In Nigeria By Elnathan John by Nobody: 3:10pm On Oct 18, 2012
coogar:

help them get back on their feet? of course, hiring that child to do petty house chores and paying his parents while you educate, feed and groom the child is far more effective than throwing money at the parents! this is africa - such money would be used by the father of the child to secure more women to impregnate and continue the vicious cycle!

stop citing isolated cases and using it like its the norm! the ubahs got help by a group, not an individual. stop mixing apple and oranges! the amount each member of the group contributed individually couldn't have done much for the ubahs - this is where the difference lies.....

it's better that way than to give her N1000 which he would soon exhaust and return back to square one. a child in my custody would get fed, clothed, housed and educated while i still put a monthly stipend in the pockets of her parents. people who hire young maids do not give them chores bigger than them - so the physically-tasking chores are totally off limits!

EXACTLY!!

Which is why I completely refused to bow to pressure and take in one of those young relatives!

I dont want to have to wash my clotes and hers and go to the market and clean my house . . . When I'm supposed to have 'help' that I pay for!

I have a sister who used to wash for her little 'help' . . . for the life of me, I couldn't understand that!
Re: How To Get A House-Help In Nigeria By Elnathan John by coogar: 3:21pm On Oct 18, 2012
Ujujoan:

EXACTLY!!

Which is why I completely refused to bow to pressure and take in one of those young relatives!

I dont want to have to wash my clotes and hers and go to the market and clean my house . . . When I'm supposed to have 'help' that I pay for!

I have a sister who used to wash for her little 'help' . . . for the life of me, I couldn't understand that!

your sister just wanted a companion!
most of these teenage housemaids are hard-work - people just take them mainly to help their families without looking like they are just giving their parents handouts!
Re: How To Get A House-Help In Nigeria By Elnathan John by Nobody: 3:31pm On Oct 18, 2012
coogar:

your sister just wanted a companion!
most of these teenage housemaids are hard-work - people just take them mainly to help their families without looking like they are just giving their parents handouts!

True!

But how do you do this whithout people like Sisikill shouting 'child abuse'
Re: How To Get A House-Help In Nigeria By Elnathan John by SisiKill1: 3:37pm On Oct 18, 2012
Ujujoan:

True!

But how do you do this whithout people like Sisikill shouting 'child abuse'
Uju, no one is in your house with koboko telling what to do and not do.

Carry go anyway or anyhow you want, ain't nobody's business how you choose to run YOUR house naa!! cheesy cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How Govt Officials Forcibly Took Away My Three-month-old Baby – Ondo Mother / I Want To Marry My Mother! / Blue-Collar Workers Want Their Children To Go to College: Why?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 166
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.