Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,336 members, 7,917,042 topics. Date: Saturday, 10 August 2024 at 04:27 PM

Fashola, Obi Disagree On Geo-political Zones, Constitutional Amendment - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola, Obi Disagree On Geo-political Zones, Constitutional Amendment (11619 Views)

Crack In APC Widens: Buhari, Tinubu Disagree On Way Forward / GMB And Tinubu Disagree On Ministers, Transition Team? - Believeafrica.net / 6 Geo Political Zones (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fashola, Obi Disagree On Geo-political Zones, Constitutional Amendment by ektbear: 5:46am On Oct 19, 2012
ndu_chucks: How can Fashola or anyone who hopes to rule Nigeria have any problem whatsoever with amending our constitution or even rewriting it? Is it not senseless to call for social engineering which could take generations for its effect to be actualized, instead of amending the constitution or rewriting it?

I am beginning to feel that Fashola may not have what it takes to move Nigeria forward. His talents are probably limited to managing entities such as cities and small states.

Obi is on point here and even the old coot Edwin Clark, is making more sense than Fashola.

So, I take it that you agree with Obi that the states should be replaced with zones, and that the SE having 5 states while the NW having 7 is injustice?
Re: Fashola, Obi Disagree On Geo-political Zones, Constitutional Amendment by cashful(m): 5:52am On Oct 19, 2012
Both are stating their own 'point of view' as relating to the review/amendment of the constitution.

BRF pointed out that

“Those things that frustrate
our people cannot be put at
the doorstep of the
Constitution. It lies in our
diminishing values. I must not
be mistaken that we don’t
need a Constitution; what I
am saying is that the
Constitution cannot be driven
by itself. It must be driven by
people with values.”

Yes we need Moral rebirth as individuals and as a country. Our leaders should have a sincerity of purpose.

For me, this statement is 'crux of the matter' ....
"those things that frustrate our people cannot be put at the doorstep of the Constitution"

Two key questions,we need to answer,

1. What are 'THOSE THINGS' that frustrate ?
2. and Which 'PEOPLE' ?

Obi (may have answered) there are THINGS that frustrate, a certain PEOPLE, that are in the Constitution.
Re: Fashola, Obi Disagree On Geo-political Zones, Constitutional Amendment by azimibraun: 5:54am On Oct 19, 2012
If I get everything working for me as a citizen of dis country with good and sicere leadership, I may never hv 2 remember a thing called constitution 2 dt effect.. Fashola hw did u read my mind? What abt a perfect constituion dat runs under a wicked leadership? Wll it b hard to go around it or not? Jst God fearing leaderhip is all we need. Constitution no get leg and hand o!

1 Like

Re: Fashola, Obi Disagree On Geo-political Zones, Constitutional Amendment by azimibraun: 5:59am On Oct 19, 2012
And for the record, make the whole south east states b a single state and let dem hv a dt state run with milk and honey( egalitarian society) and see if state creation matter will ever come up? Obi is jst nt sicere. If its true wat I here abt rochas and imo state, I dnt tink any part of imo state wll b callin for state creation out of imo because wt u are going 2 look for u are already getting.. Growth development and freedom.
Re: Fashola, Obi Disagree On Geo-political Zones, Constitutional Amendment by KINGwax(m): 6:00am On Oct 19, 2012
Eko Ile: I went over this issue several times and finally reasoned with Fashola.

Fashola's point = Let's change our ways first before clamoring for constitutional changes because even the laws we have right now we don't obey and respect because of our lawless ways so what's the point.
now my friend, i see you're jes a fashola-asss-kicker! I respect d man though, and also a lagosian but he is fuckin stagnant there!
We need ds law to move it..
1. A constitution dt removes immunity
2. A constitution dt allow u remit your account quarterly or less
3. A constitution dt kills u if u embezzle
4. One dt submits your assets auditing before and after office
5. One dt allow u removed if d masses say u fail them
my friend, dt alone, will make u a better person without choice. Biliv me. No one wanted to do it right. We need to be forced.
Re: Fashola, Obi Disagree On Geo-political Zones, Constitutional Amendment by ojeffo: 6:23am On Oct 19, 2012
bittyend: I concur with what Fashola and Edward Clark said.

As for Obi, he said a lot without actually saying anything. What has done for his state? He needs to shut up!
This is d 1st unintelligent teenager ¶ hv noticed in dis very matured thread.¶ hv been reading d incisive analysis of the posters here and was marveling at d level of their intelligence and maturity till this one spoilt my day.

3 Likes

Re: Fashola, Obi Disagree On Geo-political Zones, Constitutional Amendment by Yujin(m): 6:32am On Oct 19, 2012
The sincerity on the of the nigerian govt is the problem here. See it this way:
Fashola: Constitutional amendment is good but that is not the problem. Even when it is changed if our attitude towards it is not that of whole hearted obedience for the benefit of all, then all our efforts(at changing) would be an exercise in futility.
Obi: The constitution must be changed to reflect equity, fairness and justice if you want OUR constitution to be obeyed e.g 5 states for SE while averagely 6 for other regions thereby losing allocation money worth hundreds of millions in naira meant for development within the SE. Such lopsided arrangement should not be found in the amended constitution(whether regional government or not).
The problem as seen by both men bothers on the sincerity of the FG in ensuring a workable(Obi) and respectable(Fashola) constitution.
Re: Fashola, Obi Disagree On Geo-political Zones, Constitutional Amendment by frankcimc(m): 6:33am On Oct 19, 2012
For sure we need both changes the constitution and the attitude, especially the attitude of the people has to be changed. I will suggest in our institutes nationwide discipline should be our watchword.
Re: Fashola, Obi Disagree On Geo-political Zones, Constitutional Amendment by cashful(m): 6:33am On Oct 19, 2012

1. A constitution dt removes
immunity
2. A constitution dt allow u
remit your account quarterly or
less
3. A constitution dt kills u if u
embezzle
4. One dt submits your assets
auditing before and after office
5. One dt allow u removed if d
masses say u fail them

@KINGwax
no 3. SERIOUS?

2 Likes

Re: Fashola, Obi Disagree On Geo-political Zones, Constitutional Amendment by DuduNegro: 6:39am On Oct 19, 2012
We have a wrong understanding of what a constitution is supposed to accomplish . It is a protocol for social order, in the absence of which the society will be consumed by chaos. We have had about four or five different constitutions between 1960 and now and our chaotic ways have gotten worse with each new constitution amendment.

Traffic lights are a protocol for behavior and rights of access at road intersections. Their operation is accurately timed and synched to correspond with traffic demands. Their precision is not what makes them effective, rather.....their effectiveness is dependent on whether drivers obey what the light asks of them. Accidents and chaos at intersections are not caused by the lights......we dont go around changing road lights because of accidents....but we continue to educate road users on safety when approaching intersections and lights generally.

I agree with Fashola.

1 Like

Re: Fashola, Obi Disagree On Geo-political Zones, Constitutional Amendment by ojeffo: 6:40am On Oct 19, 2012
[quote author=musiwa7]. and there was no time in Nigeria that the people of Nigeria agree to 6 zone. Edo and delta state boycotted the conference .

You people should get it clear, the Yoruba people do not accept the 6 zones. And the day Goodluck dear to put that nonsense into the constitution of Nigeria. the Yorubas in the army will overthrow the govt and end the democracy and make all the governor jobless. And when they are Jobless they will all stop talking about nonsense.

look I honestly doubt Ekwueme as even caring for his fellow igbos.. Look Ekwueme does not love even the igbo, i doubt , igbos are the majority of river state.. Why on earth will Ekwueme put river state into a zone that the river state igbo will be minority in a state they are majority. Do you know where they please minority over majority in world. what does that tell you about Ekwueme?? even for drawing sure a map of 6 zones. it show Ekwueme is a bias man , who has no respect for other nigerian . and only interest in his own people selfishness. can you force things on others no.. i think we should call a spade, advocate of 6 zones are children of the devil. they are satanic people. you have to be satanic to even think of 6 zones.

Ekwueme is not a type of man who can draw up zones or region in Nigeria. base on his knowledge.. Sorry that i have to talk to the old man that way, but you have to learn to speak up in Nigeria and not be scare or respect anyone.. if they dear put that nonsense in the constitution. the army overthrown will the govt.

there will never been 6 zones over the dead of every yoruba man. We have petition the United nation already. but the time we vote at a united nation referendum, i will see how you will get 6 zone . Why dont you go and find out. You racist people. why you other nigerian very racist. this is black people been racist to other black people.
[quote author=musiwa7]
Oga ur post lacks coherence,insight,wisdom and intelligence!!...u were jst abusing everyone including urself.haba! U jst kept fuming like a soured Egusi soup.There was no complete sentence u made in d entire post dt was gbagaun-free.Pls go back to school!

1 Like

Re: Fashola, Obi Disagree On Geo-political Zones, Constitutional Amendment by demmie1: 6:41am On Oct 19, 2012
Eko Ile: I went over this issue several times and finally reasoned with Fashola.

Fashola's point = Let's change our ways first before clamoring for constitutional changes because even the laws we have right now we don't obey and respect because of our lawless ways so what's the point.
the constitution guides the way we live, if we can't change it, we can't change our values.
Re: Fashola, Obi Disagree On Geo-political Zones, Constitutional Amendment by naptu2: 6:50am On Oct 19, 2012
Dudu_Negro: We have a wrong understanding of what a constitution is supposed to accomplish . It is a protocol for social order, in the absence of which the society will be consumed by chaos. We have had about four or five different constitutions between 1960 and now and our chaotic ways have gotten worse with each new constitution amendment.

Traffic lights are a protocol for behavior and rights of access at road intersections. Their operation is accurately timed and synched to correspond with traffic demands. Their precision is not what makes them effective, rather.....their effectiveness is dependent on whether drivers obey what the light asks of them. Accidents and chaos at intersections are not caused by the lights......we dont go around changing road lights because of accidents....but we continue to educate road users on safety when approaching intersections and lights generally.

I agree with Fashola.

+100 (particularly the traffic light example).
Re: Fashola, Obi Disagree On Geo-political Zones, Constitutional Amendment by DuduNegro: 6:55am On Oct 19, 2012
demmie1:
the constitution guides the way we live, if we can't change it, we can't change our values.

......a constitution must never guide how people live. A constitution is limited to a set of relationships explaining among others

1. What government is and how it is structured
2. The heirarchy of authority and power over an orderly society
3. The beginning and end of these authorities and powers
4. The boundaries of reach and limitations prohibiting government from expanding its powers
5. What the people must do to keep government within its confines of limits
6. What the people must do if government fails to abide by the demands of these protocols of separation.
Re: Fashola, Obi Disagree On Geo-political Zones, Constitutional Amendment by zuchyblink(m): 7:03am On Oct 19, 2012
why is it that only igbos occupy south-east? The poeple that made that fruadulent constitution don't know what is cardinal point. Everything thing nigerian is fruad..

1 Like

Re: Fashola, Obi Disagree On Geo-political Zones, Constitutional Amendment by KINGwax(m): 7:03am On Oct 19, 2012
cashful:

1. A constitution dt removes
immunity
2. A constitution dt allow u
remit your account quarterly or
less
3. A constitution dt kills u if u
embezzle
4. One dt submits your assets
auditing before and after office
5. One dt allow u removed if d
masses say u fail them

@KINGwax
no 3. SERIOUS?
that was jes to say a grip is needed at that end. Get it now?
Re: Fashola, Obi Disagree On Geo-political Zones, Constitutional Amendment by OkwaIfugo(m): 7:06am On Oct 19, 2012
fashola stop fighting anambra oooo
Re: Fashola, Obi Disagree On Geo-political Zones, Constitutional Amendment by DuduNegro: 7:11am On Oct 19, 2012
naptu2:

+100 (particularly the traffic light example).

Thanks!

I had a post few months ago to de-bone the constitution using a common language interpretation but I had to terminate the effort. I sincerely believe that many of us citizens of Nigeria are yet to grasp the objective of the constitution.......we often take to the constitution and demand of it expectations we ought to be channelling through legislature.

Governor Obi's point on justice and fairness is a good cause to fight but I dont believe adding additional state to SE brings the desired justice and fairness. At one time SE had equal or more states than some other parts of the country but yet was still disenfranchised. However, if Obi must get an additional state for SE this demand should not be on the constitution but rather on the Legislature.
Re: Fashola, Obi Disagree On Geo-political Zones, Constitutional Amendment by naptu2: 7:20am On Oct 19, 2012
Dudu_Negro:

Thanks!

I had a post few months ago to de-bone the constitution using a common language interpretation but I had to terminate the effort. I sincerely believe that many of us citizens of Nigeria are yet to grasp the objective of the constitution.......we often take to the constitution and demand of it expectations we ought to be channelling through legislature.

Governor Obi's point on justice and fairness is a good cause to fight but I dont believe adding additional state to SE brings the desired justice and fairness. At one time SE had equal or more states than some other parts of the country but yet was still disenfranchised. However, if Obi must get an additional state for SE this demand should not be on the constitution but rather on the Legislature.

I've noticed that some nigerians believe that a constitution contains all the laws of a country. This would probably explain why people make those demands. It seems they are not aware that most of the laws in Nigeria are acts of the National Assembly, court judgements, delegated legislation, decrees, etc.

However, in this case, Governor Obi is making this demand on the constitution because the constitution specifies the number of states and actually lists them by name.
Re: Fashola, Obi Disagree On Geo-political Zones, Constitutional Amendment by omaboy: 7:22am On Oct 19, 2012
Eko Ile:
Too much talk and no action.Until we began to sincerly and honestly act, our nation will continue to remain moribond.

http://sunnewsonline.com/new/national/ekwueme-at-80-fashola-obi-differ-on-constitution-review/
Re: Fashola, Obi Disagree On Geo-political Zones, Constitutional Amendment by Meddler(f): 7:30am On Oct 19, 2012
I'm with Fashola. He is one of the few governor who is really honest with himself and the populace. The problem isn't with the law or constitution but the people. Once we learn to change our mindset we will realize that the constitution and law in place serves our needs.

In the meantime I could be less bothered with the constitution. I'm more concerned about having good roads, steady light, clean running water, controlled food prices, getting paid so I can afford to meet my basic needs.

At the end of the day what we need most is a govt that works not these bunch of blowhards!
Re: Fashola, Obi Disagree On Geo-political Zones, Constitutional Amendment by DuduNegro: 7:37am On Oct 19, 2012
naptu2:

I've noticed that some nigerians believe that a constitution contains all the laws of a country. This would probably explain why people make those demands. It seems they are not aware that most of the laws in Nigeria are acts of the National Assembly, court judgements, delegated legislation, decrees, etc.

However, in this case, Governor Obi is making this demand on the constitution because the constitution specifies the number of states and actually lists them by name.

Precisely!

Our approach and methodology in past amendments is a reflection of this gap in thorough understanding. Our leaders had good intention going into the draft committees but how is it that the end product is always flawed in its delivery of equity?

There must be a provision in the constitution detailing how amendments must be done. We have a habit of nominating interest groups and lobbyists to draft our constitutions.......people with agenda that run counter to a unified and equitable representation. Hence the constitutiin come out lopsided.
Re: Fashola, Obi Disagree On Geo-political Zones, Constitutional Amendment by naturalwaves: 7:45am On Oct 19, 2012
Dudu_Negro: We have a wrong understanding of what a constitution is supposed to accomplish . It is a protocol for social order, in the absence of which the society will be consumed by chaos. We have had about four or five different constitutions between 1960 and now and our chaotic ways have gotten worse with each new constitution amendment.

I agree with Fashola.
Your traffic light analogy was a perfect one. You couldn't have illustrated it better. Well done!
Re: Fashola, Obi Disagree On Geo-political Zones, Constitutional Amendment by FreeGlobe(f): 7:46am On Oct 19, 2012
Fashola should know that a good, neutral, well spelt and all embracing constitution automatically drives itself. For instance we have 4 year tenures for political office holders, whether you have the worst attitude as a politician, you cant go past that, the constitution will naturally take its place. we dont need to beg people to beg people to obey the constitution if its feasible. Its a general agreement and does not respect persons. All Americans dont have the best attitudes but they appreciate the constition and what it can do. The problem its this present constition respects persons or zones against others, its faulty. its something wrong with it.
Re: Fashola, Obi Disagree On Geo-political Zones, Constitutional Amendment by OmoTier1(m): 7:51am On Oct 19, 2012
Again, Fashola is showing He is light years into the future than His peers wink The summary of what Fashola has said is this: If you like have the most perfect rules in a home, if a child does not have a mind set to live by those rules in the home, the rules in themselves are useless!

First, We, Nigerians have to recognize in ourselves that obeying the laws of the land is not an option, it is a MUST. The developed Western nations today have constitutions that are no near perfect, but what has made them look civilized (in comparison to us) is simply the fact that the people of these nations have the mind set that the constitution is there to be respected and obeyed.

Peter Obi's reason appear to come across that it is more state creation that would resolve the poverty and negligence befalling the region. Even if you give a zone (like the South East) 20 states, with the greediness, corruption and ineptitude in the land, the people will still end up worse off!

The constitution may not be perfect, but if the people chose to live by it, over time, amendments can be made to it to correct any anomaly.

Did Qaddafi of Libya need any perfect constitution to give the people the high quality of life that even most western nations wished they could give their citizens?
Re: Fashola, Obi Disagree On Geo-political Zones, Constitutional Amendment by naturalwaves: 7:52am On Oct 19, 2012
naptu2: They didn't exactly disagree. I think the disagreement part was just a bid by the journalist to hype the story. I agree with both of them.

1) I agree with Fashola. We might have the best constitution in the world, but it would be pointless if we don't change the behaviour of the people.

Constitutions are not perfect documents and there is no perfect constitution, because constitutions are made by humans who are imperfect. No matter what constitution we have, people will still find a loophole in it with which they'll do whatever they want. Should we obey the spirit or the letter of the constitution?

Furthermore, a constitution is a document that does not enforce itself. How will the people charged with interpreting and enforcing the constitution behave?

Mind you, Fashola stated clearly that he is not against constitutional change, but he believes that this should go hand in hand with behavioural change.

2) I also agree with Obi. In order to
secure compliance with the constitution and to foster peace and unity, the people must have confidence in the constitution and believe that it is fair and protects their rights and interests.

I initially thought some of those that made previous comments before yours read a cascaded version of the news with the way some interpretations were going. Your intelligent write up provided a new shape and direction to the debate. Bravo!
Re: Fashola, Obi Disagree On Geo-political Zones, Constitutional Amendment by DuduNegro: 7:53am On Oct 19, 2012
Thanks natural waves.

1 Like

Re: Fashola, Obi Disagree On Geo-political Zones, Constitutional Amendment by naturalwaves: 7:54am On Oct 19, 2012
Omo_Tier1: Again, Fashola is showing He is light years into the future than His peers wink The summary of what Fashola has said is this: If you like have the most perfect rules in a home, if a child does not have a mind set to live by those rules in the home, the rules in themselves are useless!

First, We, Nigerians have to recognize in ourselves that obeying the laws of the land is not an option, it is a MUST. The developed Western nations today have constitutions that are no near perfect, but what has made them look civilized (in comparison to us) is simply the fact that the people of these nations have the mind set that the constitution is there to be respected and obeyed.

Peter Obi's reason appear to come across that it is more state creation that would resolve the poverty and negligence befalling the region. Even if you give a zone (like the South East) 20 states, with the greediness, corruption and ineptitude in the land, the people will still end up worse off!

The constitution ay not be perfect, but if the people chose to live by it, over time, amendments can be made to it to correct any anomaly.

Did Qaddafi of Libya need any perfect constitution to give the people the high quality of life that even most western nations wished they could give their citizens?

Well said!
Re: Fashola, Obi Disagree On Geo-political Zones, Constitutional Amendment by naturalwaves: 7:55am On Oct 19, 2012
Dudu_Negro: Thanks natural waves.
You're welcome sir!
Re: Fashola, Obi Disagree On Geo-political Zones, Constitutional Amendment by Awake9ja(m): 7:57am On Oct 19, 2012
Anybody who says that fashola is right is really not honest. Sincerely speaking let's turn the table the other way, "what if that statement is coming out from babangida or sarduana of sokoto " will my bros from the west ever blv it's right.

Fashola is totally wrong and obi with Clark is right to me:
1) how do you teach people morality without a moral law?
2) how long do you think it going to take us to change the mentality of our people? So do we expect people to wait till then before there will be equality and equity?
3)

Agreed with obi and Clark:
1) two can never work together unless they agree, which is mutual understanding. We need it first above every other thing.
2) the amendment is very much necessary to build fairness and equity.
3) we need to make a law that takes away immunity.
4) laws has two face
a) what one must not do or face the punishment if you do it,
b) what you must do and the benefit of obeying it.
5) law will help to curtail the excesses of any religion and tribe, and will empower the government to punish any that breaks it without fear or favor.
6) we need that law to end superior vs inferior mentality in our soiety.
7) it will encourage patriotism without suspicions .
cool then we shall have the oneness we have been looking for .
9) make every region equal state or do away with states and let us have only six regions so that people will feel secure and not been marginalized .

Conclusion:
What fashola is saying makes us more vulnerable than ever.
Tell me who may build a house with out a foundation .

2 Likes

Re: Fashola, Obi Disagree On Geo-political Zones, Constitutional Amendment by naptu2: 8:01am On Oct 19, 2012
naturalwaves:

I initially thought some of those that made previous comments before yours read a cascaded version of the news with the way some interpretations were going. Your intelligent write up provided a new shape and direction to the debate. Bravo!

Thanks very much.

1 Like

Re: Fashola, Obi Disagree On Geo-political Zones, Constitutional Amendment by naturalwaves: 8:02am On Oct 19, 2012
KINGwax: now my friend, i see you're jes a fashola-asss-kicker! I respect d man though, and also a lagosian but he is fuckin stagnant there!
We need ds law to move it..
1. A constitution dt removes immunity
2. A constitution dt allow u remit your account quarterly or less
3. A constitution dt kills u if u embezzle
4. One dt submits your assets auditing before and after office
5. One dt allow u removed if d masses say u fail them
my friend, dt alone, will make u a better person without choice. Biliv me. No one wanted to do it right. We need to be forced.

Hahahahahahahaha. Are you sure the constitutional ammendment can be as stiff as those ones you mentioned up there( Particularly the point 3) with all the Thieves we have at the helm of affairs? I doubt!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Angela Nwaka In Fake Customs Recruitment Scam, May Be Arrested (Pic) / Katsina, Gombe Divided Over Tinubu, Osinbajo As Anyim Pledges Security, Jobs / Malami, APC, Others Differ On Electoral Act Amendment

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 113
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.