Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,336 members, 7,917,042 topics. Date: Saturday, 10 August 2024 at 04:25 PM

Fashola, Obi Disagree On Geo-political Zones, Constitutional Amendment - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola, Obi Disagree On Geo-political Zones, Constitutional Amendment (11619 Views)

Crack In APC Widens: Buhari, Tinubu Disagree On Way Forward / GMB And Tinubu Disagree On Ministers, Transition Team? - Believeafrica.net / 6 Geo Political Zones (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fashola, Obi Disagree On Geo-political Zones, Constitutional Amendment by OmoTier1(m): 8:04am On Oct 19, 2012
Awake9ja: Any goody who says that fashola is right is really not honest. Sincerely speaking let's turn the table the other way, "what if that statement is coming out from babangida or sarduana of sokoto " will my bros from the west ever blv it's right.

Fashola is totally wrong and obi with Clark is right to me:
1) how do you teach people morality without a moral law?
2) how long do you think it going to take us to change the mentality of our people? So do we expect people to wait till then before there will be equality and equity?
3)

Agreed with obi and Clark:equity
1) two can never work together unless they agree, which is mutual understanding. We need it above everything.
2) the amendment is very much necessary to build fairness and equity.
3) we need to make a law that takes away immunity.
4) laws has two face
a) what one must not do or face the punishment if you do it,
b) what you must do and the benefit of obeying it.
5) law will help to curtail the excesses of any religion and tribe, and will empower the government to punish any that breaks it without fear or favor.
6) we need that law to end superior vs inferior mentality in our soiety.
7) it will encourage patriotism without suspicions .
cool then we shall have the oneness we have been looking for .
9) make every region equal state or do away with states and let us have only six regions so that people will feel secure and not been marginalized .

Conclusion:
What fashola is saying makes us more vulnerable than ever.
Tell me who may build a house with out a foundation .
This is not about Fashola, it is about the TRUTH -Simple. Peter Obi's drive or acclaimed injustice to a region appears to be based solely on the states created so far in the South East.

The question I want you to answer is this: Will you bother about the number of states in South East if you are able to travel cheaply from Aba to Ontisha to do your business, without being harassed by armed state criminals called police, and the roads are in good working condition, and there is 24/7 electricity everywhere you go in the region? Is the present constitution that has made these elude the people of Nigeria or is it the despotic leaders we have and the near ultimo wickedness of our people?
Re: Fashola, Obi Disagree On Geo-political Zones, Constitutional Amendment by Slizbeat(m): 8:08am On Oct 19, 2012
The two governors aint Wrong. Fashola's Opinion should come second after Obi's. The fact is that the Sincerety fashola wants from Nigeria would only be realised if all Nigerians agree to the constitution and for We Nigerians to agree to it, it must be based on equity and fairness. No one would want to be in a relationship where they both are regarded as equals but yet one eats only beans all the time and the other eats friedrice and salad. Its simple logic.
BTW, Fashola never said he disagreed with the amendment but his opinion should av been tabled later. Obi never disagreed with the sincerety Fashola wants but he just asked how will they get the sincerety when the constitution is nt based on equity n fairness.
Meanwhile, the topic is misleading.
Re: Fashola, Obi Disagree On Geo-political Zones, Constitutional Amendment by OmoTier1(m): 8:09am On Oct 19, 2012
KINGwax: now my friend, i see you're jes a fashola-asss-kicker! I respect d man though, and also a lagosian but he is fuckin stagnant there!
We need ds law to move it..
1. A constitution dt removes immunity
2. A constitution dt allow u remit your account quarterly or less
3. A constitution dt kills u if u embezzle
4. One dt submits your assets auditing before and after office
5. One dt allow u removed if d masses say u fail them
my friend, dt alone, will make u a better person without choice. Biliv me. No one wanted to do it right. We need to be forced.
If you like have a constitution that does all these, when man wants to circumvent anything, He will. But a man with the right moral values, attitude and a mind of corporate justice, does not need any of these to govern the people justly and provide the basic necessities of life.

Remember, the constitution is only "a guide to remind" and the consitution, just like laws of the land can not enforce itself. Its up to a people with the right moral values to enforce them.
Re: Fashola, Obi Disagree On Geo-political Zones, Constitutional Amendment by naturalwaves: 8:11am On Oct 19, 2012
Awake9ja: Anybody who says that fashola is right is really not honest. Sincerely speaking let's turn the table the other way, "what if that statement is coming out from babangida or sarduana of sokoto " will my bros from the west ever blv it's right.

Fashola is totally wrong and obi with Clark is right to me:
1) how do you teach people morality without a moral law?
2) how long do you think it going to take us to change the mentality of our people? So do we expect people to wait till then before there will be equality and equity?
3)

Agreed with obi and Clark:
1) two can never work together unless they agree, which is mutual understanding. We need it first above every other thing.
2) the amendment is very much necessary to build fairness and equity.
3) we need to make a law that takes away immunity.
4) laws has two face
a) what one must not do or face the punishment if you do it,
b) what you must do and the benefit of obeying it.
5) law will help to curtail the excesses of any religion and tribe, and will empower the government to punish any that breaks it without fear or favor.
6) we need that law to end superior vs inferior mentality in our soiety.
7) it will encourage patriotism without suspicions .
cool then we shall have the oneness we have been looking for .
9) make every region equal state or do away with states and let us have only six regions so that people will feel secure and not been marginalized .

Conclusion:
What fashola is saying makes us more vulnerable than ever.
Tell me who may build a house with out a foundation .

You made some very good points but let me quickly say that, those who say Fashola is right only said that based on their personal analysis with respect to the issue raised and not because Fashola is from the West. The message is the most important thing and not one's location or origin.

1 Like

Re: Fashola, Obi Disagree On Geo-political Zones, Constitutional Amendment by OmoTier1(m): 8:14am On Oct 19, 2012
Slizbeat: The two governors aint Wrong. Fashola's Opinion should come second after Obi's. The fact is that the Sincerety fashola wants from Nigeria would only be realised if all Nigerians agree to the constitution and for We Nigerians to agree to it, it must be based on equity and fairness. No one would want to be in a relationship where they both are regarded as equals but yet one eats only beans all the time and the other eats friedrice and salad. Its simple logic.
BTW, Fashola never said he disagreed with the amendment but his opinion should av been tabled later. Obi never disagreed with the sincerety Fashola wants but he just asked how will they get the sincerety when the constitution is nt based on equity n fairness.
Meanwhile, the topic is misleading.
How can you have an agreed constitution if the people do not even realize in themselves that "fairness" to others is "justice" in itself? Is it not the lack of these moral values such as "fairness" that gave birth to the so called non-working constitution as acclaimed by Peter Obi? I my own opinion, Fashola is spot on, change your moral code before changing the letters of the law because if the 'spirit of the thinking' of the people is not right, the law may well be pronounced dead on arrival!

1 Like

Re: Fashola, Obi Disagree On Geo-political Zones, Constitutional Amendment by Slizbeat(m): 8:22am On Oct 19, 2012
Omo_Tier1:
How can you have an agreed constitution if the people do not even realize in themselves that "fairness" to others is "justice" in itself? Is it not the lack of these moral values such as "fairness" that gave birth to the so called non-working constitution as acclaimed by Peter Obi? I my own opinion, Fashola is spot on, change your moral code before changing the letters of the law because if the 'spirit of the thinking' of the people is not right, the law may well be pronounced dead on arrival!

Dont reason it on sentiments like the thread wants to put it but with simple logic. Ok let me make it simpler.
In a school where the law is "dont flog the prefects for coming late" but late coming is punishable with flogging. Now, a normal student comes late alongside a prefect and the student was flogged while the prefect was allowed to go in2 duh class. Without you reversing that law, you cant stop the prefect 4rm coming late since he wont be punished and if u punish him/her, u av gone against the law. Simple.
Re: Fashola, Obi Disagree On Geo-political Zones, Constitutional Amendment by OmoTier1(m): 8:34am On Oct 19, 2012
Slizbeat:

Dont reason it on sentiments like the thread wants to put it but with simple logic. Ok let me make it simpler.
In a school where the law is "dont flog the prefects for coming late" but late coming is punishable with flogging. Now, a normal student comes late alongside a prefect and the student was flogged while the prefect was allowed to go in2 duh class. Without you reversing that law, you cant stop the prefect 4rm coming late since he wont be punished and if u punish him/her, u av gone against the law. Simple.
Again your example buttress my point. If those that drafted that law were living by the moral code of fairness and justice, then they would have known rightly that such a law is wicked as it discredit one and approves of another's wrong.
Put it in another way, even if that flaw was written in the law and the prefect never comes in late, if at all, the law in itself will be redundant -simple

RIGHT ATTITUDE is the watch word.
Re: Fashola, Obi Disagree On Geo-political Zones, Constitutional Amendment by iconaus: 8:39am On Oct 19, 2012
I respect both governors given the positive changes both had made in their states. Fashiola is doing great.Both are correct and can go concurently. In public health, we use policy,law or legistration to bring about positive behaviour changes musch as u can use bad law or policy or constitution to create anarchy . Behaviour chages is an on going process given the dyfuctional system we have in nigeria. Behaviuor changes cannot be acheived instantanously while equity, justice and fairnes should always be the golden rule . That cannot be compromised at all . That should come first before any other thing . A good constitution or policy brings about positive changes . In developed countries , if u re unemployed , govt pays you with the aim of curtaling arm robbery or stealing .

So based on this debate, we should not look at it based on tribal sentiments . Fairnes , equity and justice should be foremost while goverment continues to work on community and individual behaviour changes which is long term goal . Given the situation in nigeria which appears not to be working at the moment ;it is time we make changes and correct the mistakes of the pass . We cannot cannot continue to live like this . The ethic agitation is on the increase hence going in the way of stronger region and weak centre is the answer if nigeria want to remain one .Some region having 7 states while the other region has 5 is pure injustice people should speak against irrespective of your root . Developed world is progressive because they respect equity and fairnes.
Re: Fashola, Obi Disagree On Geo-political Zones, Constitutional Amendment by Slizbeat(m): 8:39am On Oct 19, 2012
Omo_Tier1:
Again your example buttress my point. If those that drafted that law were living by the moral code of fairness and justice, then they would have known rightly that such a law is wicked as it discredit one and approves of another's wrong.
Put it in another way, even if that flaw was written in the law and the prefect never comes in late, if at all, the law in itself will be redundant -simple

RIGHT ATTITUDE is the watch word.

Not that i dont agree with the ATTITUDE thing but we all know that the constitution is not based on Equity and fairness. But wait o0, guy u harsh o0, u wud make a good lawyer fa.
Re: Fashola, Obi Disagree On Geo-political Zones, Constitutional Amendment by OmoTier1(m): 8:44am On Oct 19, 2012
Slizbeat:

Not that i dont agree with the ATTITUDE thing but we all know that the constitution is not based on Equity and fairness. But wait o0, guy u harsh o0, u wud make a good lawyer fa.
Constitutions, historically has never been based on fairness and Equity, why? because those on claim equity must come with clean hands = right moral compass and I am sorry to say, humanity barely possesses that and is hugely lacking in Nigeria, and that is what Fashola is espousing.
Re: Fashola, Obi Disagree On Geo-political Zones, Constitutional Amendment by Ademab(m): 8:45am On Oct 19, 2012
ndu_chucks: How can Fashola or anyone who hopes to rule Nigeria have any problem whatsoever with amending our constitution or even rewriting it? Is it not senseless to call for social engineering which could take generations for its effect to be actualized, instead of amending the constitution or rewriting it?

I am beginning to feel that Fashola may not have what it takes to move Nigeria forward. His talents are probably limited to managing entities such as cities and small states.

Obi is on point here and even the old coot Edwin Clark, is making more sense than Fashola.
fashola's stand and obi's stand are quite understandable the question is do u undertand both of them? The major flaw as spotted by obi and clark is that ogbo coomunity has 5 states while the rest has 6 or more. Hence they want an ammendment that will birth 'equity' among the geopolitical zones very correct. Clark wants power @ the zonal level that's a lil questionabel and fashola is saying even if u have 100states and the people can't se the benefits of those states i̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ terms of roads, housing and infastructural development the constitution remains a book lacking merit and grace. U can't tell the hungry man on the street about increase i̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ allocation to states when he is yet to feel the last increase i̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ his pocket.[Bold] All three r correct viewing Ȋ̝̊̅† from different points.[/Bold]
Re: Fashola, Obi Disagree On Geo-political Zones, Constitutional Amendment by Sealeddeal(m): 8:48am On Oct 19, 2012
Fashola and Obi didnt disagree.Fashola was actually trying to make the leader know that constitution does not stop them from working and providing for their people.he called constitution an agreement.Equally,Obi call constitution an agreement but said that ours ridden by injustice and need an amendment.so i think Fashola is right and Obi is right as well.
Re: Fashola, Obi Disagree On Geo-political Zones, Constitutional Amendment by Slizbeat(m): 8:49am On Oct 19, 2012
Omo_Tier1:
Constitutions, historically has never been based on fairness and Equity, why? because those on claim equity must come with clean hands = right moral compass and I am sorry to say, humanity barely possesses that and is hugely lacking in Nigeria, and that is what Fashola is espousing.

Good point. Both had a point in their statements.
Re: Fashola, Obi Disagree On Geo-political Zones, Constitutional Amendment by Nobody: 8:54am On Oct 19, 2012
Re: Fashola, Obi Disagree On Geo-political Zones, Constitutional Amendment by Nobody: 8:56am On Oct 19, 2012
Awake9ja: the topic of the post is wrong and deceiving.

let it be something like " elites disagree in constitution amendment "

because fashola and obi are not the only people in the meeting. otherwise the poster wants to play yoruba fight again here

but on my own veiw fashola was wrong. the constitution that give a acceptance to sharia and did not permit other religous commandment has to be changed.

in a country that i am a citizen which does not prohibit selling and drinking of alchohol why should somebody say that i should nof sell it or destroys my comodity and still have constitutional backing.

men we need amendments in that constitution.

On the bolded Yes, because the murderators want IGBO vs Yoruba Fight that normally generate them much traffic.

Back to the Topic , I think Both of them made vital points that addresses two different Issues that need to be urgently visited.
Re: Fashola, Obi Disagree On Geo-political Zones, Constitutional Amendment by OmoTier1(m): 8:59am On Oct 19, 2012
Sealeddeal: Fashola and Obi didnt disagree.Fashola was actually trying to make the leader know that constitution does not stop them from working and providing for their people.he called constitution an agreement.Equally,Obi call constitution an agreement but said that ours ridden by injustice and need an amendment.so i think Fashola is right and Obi is right as well.
Remember another man's injustice is seen by another as "Fair Share"... so lets start with good governance which requires no constitution but right attitude. After all, did the Bini Kingdom have any written constitution? No, but the King and Princes in those times governed the people with the interest of making them a great people and they land prospered. That is what Nigeria needs, leaders to do the right things -development and growth- geared towards making life better for her citizens and making them a people of greatness!
Re: Fashola, Obi Disagree On Geo-political Zones, Constitutional Amendment by nduchucks: 9:05am On Oct 19, 2012
naptu2:

Mind you, Fashola stated clearly that he is not against constitutional change, but he believes that this should go hand in hand with behavioural change.

This is a bunch of crap. Governors and politicians are now social engineers, abi? Pray tell, how are they going to force a behavioral change in people? I hope you are not suggesting that we use the Chinese system of forcing certain behavior on the masses. The kind of behavioral change Fashola is talking about will take quite some time and possibly a generation or 2.

Constitutional amendments or a restructuring should not be contingent upon the success of social (re)engineering. Fashola is simply wrong and ill-advised in this case. Lets call a spade a spade.
Re: Fashola, Obi Disagree On Geo-political Zones, Constitutional Amendment by Nobody: 9:10am On Oct 19, 2012
PLEASE POLITICAL MODERATORS CAN THIS BE ONE OF THE TOPICS OF OUR MONTHLY DEBATE. This is the first time I am reading a thread and I am at peace with the responses. grin
Re: Fashola, Obi Disagree On Geo-political Zones, Constitutional Amendment by naptu2: 9:13am On Oct 19, 2012
ndu_chucks:

This is a bunch of crap. Governors and politicians are now social engineers, abi? Pray tell, how are they going to force a behavioral change in people? I hope you are not suggesting that we use the Chinese system of forcing certain behavior on the masses. The kind of behavioral change Fashola is talking about will take quite some time and possibly a generation or 2.

Constitutional amendments or a restructuring should not be contingent upon the success of social (re)engineering. Fashola is simply wrong and ill-advised in this case. Lets call a spade a spade.

1) Fashola did not say behavioural change should come before constitutional change or vice versa. Rather, both should go hand in hand.

2) Public officials are supposed to be change agents (eg, Obama with his "yes we can" and "taking responsibility" campaign). I remember, a former police chief of New York, who implemented the broken glass theory, stated that the job of the police is basically about behavioural change. This change doesn't have to be implemented by force, but could also be done by education, public enlightenment and setting good examples.

1 Like

Re: Fashola, Obi Disagree On Geo-political Zones, Constitutional Amendment by OmoTier1(m): 9:15am On Oct 19, 2012
ndu_chucks:

This is a bunch of crap. Governors and politicians are now social engineers, abi? Pray tell, how are they going to force a behavioral change in people? The kind of behavioral change Fashola is talking about will take quite some time and possibly a generation or 2.

I think you are the one that is wrong here. How do you bring about constitutional amendments when there is no sincerity on the path of those involved? For example, if I sit on a table to cut a deal with you with a conceived mind of cheating you, how can we cut a good deal for each other?

And on the good governance angle, will a constitution force a governor who does not see the fairness and justice in providing sound education for all of her people to now do so? I guess you know the answer.

I give you another example, in Nigeria, when a man is caught stealing in public position, instead of Him/Her to step aside, S/He go lobbying to remain in that position, so they can influence the outcome of their investigation. Was the law every faulty in that regards? No! But the individual has a corrupt mind and is not willing to obey the law. Same goes with a perfect constitution without a people with the right moral compass as the case is currently in Nigeria.
Re: Fashola, Obi Disagree On Geo-political Zones, Constitutional Amendment by revomind(m): 9:17am On Oct 19, 2012
naptu2: They didn't exactly disagree. I think the disagreement part was just a bid by the journalist to hype the story. I agree with both of them.

1) I agree with Fashola. We might have the best constitution in the world, but it would be pointless if we don't change the behaviour of the people.

Constitutions are not perfect documents and there is no perfect constitution, because constitutions are made by humans who are imperfect. No matter what constitution we have, people will still find a loophole in it with which they'll do whatever they want. Should we obey the spirit or the letter of the constitution?

Furthermore, a constitution is a document that does not enforce itself. How will the people charged with interpreting and enforcing the constitution behave?

Mind you, Fashola stated clearly that he is not against constitutional change, but he believes that this should go hand in hand with behavioural change.

2) I also agree with Obi. In order to
secure compliance with the constitution and to foster peace and unity, the people must have confidence in the constitution and believe that it is fair and protects their rights and interests.
Re: Fashola, Obi Disagree On Geo-political Zones, Constitutional Amendment by solomonkane(m): 9:18am On Oct 19, 2012
Wow!!! For the first time in a long while, a front page post that has intellectual discourse as its thrust, better days are ahead indeed. I agree completely with Fashola and see reason with Obi, we have never had a problem making laws, our attitude being the main reason why we are where we are. For instance laws like the Federal Character and Quota System which are like the American Affirmative Action Laws are not bad in themselves but the mindset with which they have been implemented is the thing that needs to change. Let's say for instance that GEJ's seven year single term proposal flies; it downplays the need for constant electioneering leaving time for incumbents to work but with the Nigerian mindset of "steal but try" do you think anything will be left in the states or nation's treasury?
Re: Fashola, Obi Disagree On Geo-political Zones, Constitutional Amendment by johhnnie(m): 9:21am On Oct 19, 2012
CHESSBOARD: PLEASE POLITICAL MODERATORS CAN THIS BE ONE OF THE TOPICS OF OUR MONTHLY DEBATE. This is the first time I am reading a thread and I am at peace with the responses. grin
I concur.
Re: Fashola, Obi Disagree On Geo-political Zones, Constitutional Amendment by nduchucks: 9:33am On Oct 19, 2012
naptu2:

1) Fashola did not say behavioural change should come before constitutional change or vice versa. Rather, both should go hand in hand.

2) Public officials are supposed to be change agents (eg, Obama with his "yes we can" and "taking responsibility" campaign). I remember, a former police chief of New York, who implemented the broken glass theory, stated that the job of the police is basically about behavioural change. This change doesn't have to be implemented by force, but could also be done by education, public enlightenment and setting good examples.

You points are well taken. We know what needs to be done in terms of the constitution. How do you propose that this behavioral change be forced on Nigerians and is it realistic to expect such a change in the next 5, 10, or even 20years without some sort of dictatorial authority such as they have in China and North Korea?
Re: Fashola, Obi Disagree On Geo-political Zones, Constitutional Amendment by Policewoman(f): 9:36am On Oct 19, 2012
musiwa7: . and there was no time in Nigeria that the people of Nigeria agree to 6 zone. Edo and delta state boycotted the conference .

You people should get it clear, the Yoruba people do not accept the 6 zones. And the day Goodluck dear to put that nonsense into the constitution of Nigeria. the Yorubas in the army will overthrow the govt and end the democracy and make all the governor jobless. And when they are Jobless they will all stop talking about nonsense.

look I honestly doubt Ekwueme as even caring for his fellow igbos.. Look Ekwueme does not love even the igbo, i doubt , igbos are the majority of river state.. Why on earth will Ekwueme put river state into a zone that the river state igbo will be minority in a state they are majority. Do you know where they please minority over majority in world. what does that tell you about Ekwueme?? even for drawing sure a map of 6 zones. it show Ekwueme is a bias man , who has no respect for other nigerian . and only interest in his own people selfishness. can you force things on others no.. i think we should call a spade, advocate of 6 zones are children of the devil. they are satanic people. you have to be satanic to even think of 6 zones.

Ekwueme is not a type of man who can draw up zones or region in Nigeria. base on his knowledge.. Sorry that i have to talk to the old man that way, but you have to learn to speak up in Nigeria and not be scare or respect anyone.. if they dear put that nonsense in the constitution. the army overthrown will the govt.

there will never been 6 zones over the dead of every yoruba man. We have petition the United nation already. but the time we vote at a united nation referendum, i will see how you will get 6 zone . Why dont you go and find out. You racist people. why you other nigerian very racist. this is black people been racist to other black people.

[img]http://wonderland1981.files./2012/06/samuel-doe-beach-execution1.jpg[/img]
You sound so naive. How many Yorubas are in the army compared to the Northerners? Have the Youba led any coup in the country before? At least the east and North have. If you have nothing better to say, please go to sleep.
Re: Fashola, Obi Disagree On Geo-political Zones, Constitutional Amendment by naptu2: 9:40am On Oct 19, 2012
ndu_chucks:

You points are well taken. We know what needs to be done in terms of the constitution. How do you propose that this behavioral change be forced on Nigerians and is it realistic to expect such a change in the next 5, 10, or even 20years without some sort of dictatorial authority such as they have in China and North Korea?

Lagos has a high level of traffic accidents, therefore the government has set up road safety clubs in public schools to teach people basic road safety at an early age (remember, we've got laws regarding zebra crossings, but how many people obey them? How many people even know what a zebra crossing is? Is it enough to have the law? Don't you need behavioural change to ensure that the law is effective?). They've also set up a drivers institute, to make sure that people are properly trained before they get behind the wheels.

This is why I have always advocated that we need to teach civics in our schools. I don't want to type too much, I'll go find my civics post and repost it here.
Re: Fashola, Obi Disagree On Geo-political Zones, Constitutional Amendment by sweetgala(m): 9:41am On Oct 19, 2012
"I must not be mistaken that we don’t need a Constitution; what I am saying is that the Constitution cannot be driven by itself. It must be driven by people with values.”

Some of you ignore the important at your own peril.
We must first be honest with ourselves before trying to reach an agreement that favours all.
Re: Fashola, Obi Disagree On Geo-political Zones, Constitutional Amendment by Gbawe: 9:51am On Oct 19, 2012
ndu_chucks: How can Fashola or anyone who hopes to rule Nigeria have any problem whatsoever with amending our constitution or even rewriting it? Is it not senseless to call for social engineering which could take generations for its effect to be actualized, instead of amending the constitution or rewriting it?

I am beginning to feel that Fashola may not have what it takes to move Nigeria forward. His talents are probably limited to managing entities such as cities and small states.

Obi is on point here and even the old coot Edwin Clark, is making more sense than Fashola.

My guy, read again properly and stop coming to wrong conclusions because you have not taken time to read and comprehend what is written. Fashola makes it crystal clear he is not against the constitution. His point is that there must be sincerity of purpose and the right attitude/values to make even the most brilliant constitution perform well. It is what many of us have consistently argued here.

“Those things that frustrate our people cannot be put at the doorstep of the Constitution. It lies in our diminishing values. I must not be mistaken that we don’t need a Constitution; what I am saying is that the Constitution cannot be driven by itself. It must be driven by people with values.”

1 Like

Re: Fashola, Obi Disagree On Geo-political Zones, Constitutional Amendment by nduchucks: 9:51am On Oct 19, 2012
naptu2:

Lagos has a high level of traffic accidents, therefore the government has set up road safety clubs in public schools to teach people basic road safety at an early age (remember, we've got laws regarding zebra crossings, but how many people obey them? How many people even know what a zebra crossing is? Is it enough to have the law? Don't you need behavioural change to ensure that the law is effective?). They've also set up a drivers institute, to make sure that people are properly trained before they get behind the wheels.

This is why I have always advocated that we need to teach civics in our schools. I don't want to type too much, I'll go find my civics post and repost it here.

I'm more inclined to believe that we need to find a way to enforce our laws rather than become social engineers. When people know that there will be negative consequences for their illegal acts, their behaviors will be modified. I believe the right leadership can get us there. Fashola's successes are not due to any behavior modification grand plans, but to good leadership backed by the constitution.

You can train drivers all you want, but as long as people can get away with violating traffic laws, they will continue to do so. I submit to you that highly educated and trained drivers violate traffic laws more than the untrained drivers. These people will drive against traffic, bully other road users with their expensive SUVs e.t.c. Why? Lawsa are not enforced - its the same story with thieving politicians. Where are you going to train those thieves to become decent people, which school, which civic lessons will you make available to them?
Re: Fashola, Obi Disagree On Geo-political Zones, Constitutional Amendment by naptu2: 9:54am On Oct 19, 2012
ndu_chucks:

I'm more inclined to believe that we need to find a way to enforce our laws rather than become social engineers. When people know that there will be negative consequences for their illegal acts, their behaviors will be modified. I believe the right leadership can get us there. Fashola's successes are not due to any behavior modification grand plans, but to good leadership backed by the constitution.

Thank you for making my point. Once again, who will enforce the law and what will be the behaviour of the person that will enforce the law?

Options

1) Corrupt police.

2) Corrupt politicians.

3) Citizens who believe you should always look for a loophole or way to get around the law.

4) Or who?
Re: Fashola, Obi Disagree On Geo-political Zones, Constitutional Amendment by Awake9ja(m): 9:55am On Oct 19, 2012
Omo tier,

I know following you gently will reveal your intention.
Remember that another man's injustice maybe another's fairness and equity

So it's clear to us that you are seeing other minorities and region marginalization and injustice mated out against them as fairness and equity.
That's the reason you are putting up those deceptive logics .

Do you have feelins at all.
Do you decide on a level of occasion (party )first before the type of cloth that suits it or do you talk about the cloth first before the type of occasion ?

Why are you guys doing things on the opposite. I hope fashola intent and yours are not same because if it is, i will conclude that sanusi was right when he say that you guys cannot rise above tribal politics.
In a country where minorities are crying by the day why are they treated as second class in a country they call theirs.
Re: Fashola, Obi Disagree On Geo-political Zones, Constitutional Amendment by nduchucks: 10:01am On Oct 19, 2012
naptu2:

Thank you for making my point. Once again, who will enforce the law and what will be the behaviour of the person that will enforce the law?

Options
1) Corrupt police

2) Corrupt politicians

3) Or who?

I don't accept the notion that ALL police officers and ALL politicians are corrupt. The right leader can significantly change the seemingly hopeless situation. I'm sure you'd agree with me that Lagos state has significantly improved despite corrupt police and politicians. I believe this is due to effect enforcement of many laws in the state.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Angela Nwaka In Fake Customs Recruitment Scam, May Be Arrested (Pic) / Katsina, Gombe Divided Over Tinubu, Osinbajo As Anyim Pledges Security, Jobs / Malami, APC, Others Differ On Electoral Act Amendment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 131
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.