Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,806 members, 7,872,680 topics. Date: Wednesday, 26 June 2024 at 07:37 PM

PDP Governors To Release Jonathan’s One-term Pact - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / PDP Governors To Release Jonathan’s One-term Pact (14365 Views)

Buhari May Spend One Term In Office, ‘president Already Has A Successor In Mind’ / Buhari's One-term Pledge Tears APC Leaders Apart / Governor Hides Jonathan’s One Term Pact Document (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

PDP Governors To Release Jonathan’s One-term Pact by fkaz(m): 7:07am On Feb 18, 2013
It is about two years away, but 2015 is already sparking big rows.
Niger State Governor Babangida Aliyu spoke at the weekend on an agreement which he said the President signed – that he (Dr. Goodluck Jonathan) would spend one term in office.
The Presidency is yet to react to the statement, but more Peoples Democratic Party (PDP)governors are threatening to release copies of the agreement.
Aliyu’s statement is said to have rattled the Presidency.
It was also learnt that some National Assembly leaders areclaiming to know about the one-term agreement with the governors.
The Nation learnt that all PDP governors have copies of the agreement, which was allegedly signed before the presidential primaries in January, 2011.
A source said the agreement accounted for why the Northern governors dumped former Vice-President Atiku Abubakar who lost woefully at the presidential primaries.
It was learnt that Jonathan entered into the agreement “to appease the North”.
According to another Northern governor, who spoke with some PDP leaders and National Assembly members yesterday in Abuja , the “one-term agreement is real”. “We are just waiting for the right time to talk,” he said.
“I have a copy of the agreement and some of us have come together to enforce the agreement. We will soon release a copy of the agreement to the public to prove a point — that we are not just raising the alarm.
“I think the right thing is for the President to stick to the agreement. Some of us were almost stoned for sacrificing the interest of the North for the Southsouth.
“We hope the President will own up to this crucial agreement. It is a welcome development that the Chairman of the Northern States Governors Forum was theone who raised it.”
It was gathered that the Presidency was rattled by the revelation, forcing strategists to spend hours planning a response which did not come at press time last night.
A source said: “The comments of the Niger State Governorwere initially greeted with disbelieve by the President’s strategists, who worked through the night on the appropriate response.
“The issues highlighted by the strategists were how to manage why the President went into the agreement; plausible reasons why the pact might not subsist, and tackling the bearer of the message, Governor Babangida Aliyu.
“They considered the governor’s disclosure as a serious challenge.”
Niger Delta activist and human rights campaigner, Annkio Briggs, has described as sheer blackmail the allegation that President Jonathan signed an agreement to serve only for a term in the run-up to the 2011 Presidential election.
Speaking with our correspondent on the telephone, Briggssaid if it turned out that there was such an agreement, it must have been obtained under duress since there was nothing that compels Jonathan to serve for four years.
Arguing that the Northern governors appear bent on usingthe controversial agreement to blackmail Jonathan against running in 2015, should he decide to do so, Briggs insists that the agreement remains null and void since it was not signed on behalf of Nigerians.
She said: “If that statement is true, then you can see that Nigeria is in trouble if a set of people can sit and decide how politics should be played. Does it mean that the power of choice no longer resides with voters? In my opinion, it is totally wrong if Jonathan has to be put in a position in which he has to sign under duress that he would serve for a term. If such a document exists, then it must have been obtained under duress.
“In the first place, Jonathan has no right to sign that document on behalf of Nigerians and, particularly, on behalf of the Southsouth people. He has a right to run for a second term of four years just like any other Nigerian if he so wishes. If Babangida Aliyu wants to run for President,he should do so without resorting to blackmailing Jonathan. That also applies to any Northern governor who plans to run. They should stop blackmailing Jonathan.
“If he signed such a document, that means he has signed it under duress and therefore the document is a nullity. If Jonathan decides to run in 2015, it should be based on his performance in office. We cannot run away from the fact that the Jonathan Presidency has been under serious threat by those who vowed to make the country ungovernable. And so, that kind of document is not acceptable to us.”

http://thenationonlineng.net/new/news/pdp-governors-to-release-jonathans-one-term-pact/
Re: PDP Governors To Release Jonathan’s One-term Pact by frodobee: 7:27am On Feb 18, 2013
People seeking attention- adamu ciroma style. Emerging facts are pointer to that. Remember he(adamu ciroma and his cohorts of Arewa Consultative Forum rejected GEJ candidacy until it was obvious they cant change the constitution to suit their bidding) A looser seeking prominence. It was obvious that the north had lost out in equation of power in the last election, so an agreement if any, was meant to assuage their pride(ignorance). Why i do not support GEJ, i do not see any reason in this arguement, afterall, non of them ill-performing Governors did a single term in their respective states.

7 Likes

Re: PDP Governors To Release Jonathan’s One-term Pact by Goodcare(m): 8:05am On Feb 18, 2013
Uncle jonathan am gussing ur game is over...mm

2 Likes

Re: PDP Governors To Release Jonathan’s One-term Pact by miiraaj: 8:12am On Feb 18, 2013
Who cares about the agreement! They are all thieves.

Whether agreement dey, or e no dey, PDP is leaving ASO rock 2015!

UP APC!

38 Likes

Re: PDP Governors To Release Jonathan’s One-term Pact by GARRIx7(m): 8:24am On Feb 18, 2013
What's Aniko Briggs Saying? That GEJ signed a document under duress? That's silly and ridiculous!!

GEJ needed the support of the Northern Governors and in return for their support, he signed a one-term pact with them. So where's the idea of duress coming from?

He can renege if he wishes to, but playing the victim card is‎​ downright silly.... undecided undecided

17 Likes

Re: PDP Governors To Release Jonathan’s One-term Pact by Demdem(m): 8:28am On Feb 18, 2013
Excellent Development. This should be speedily done.
Re: PDP Governors To Release Jonathan’s One-term Pact by Demdem(m): 8:31am On Feb 18, 2013
GARRI (x7):
What's Aniko Briggs Saying? That GEJ signed a document under duress? That's silly and ridiculous!!

GEJ needed the support of the Northern Governors and in return for their support, he signed a one-term pact with them. So where's the idea of duress coming from?

He can renege if he wishes to, but playing the victim card is‎​ downright silly.... undecided undecided

Exactly, infact he also knew that the 100% bloc votes from the SE/SS wont be enough to give him the presidency unlike what many here keeps saying.

9 Likes

Re: PDP Governors To Release Jonathan’s One-term Pact by Wendyslim(f): 8:41am On Feb 18, 2013
I will advice he step down honourable or be shown the way out. No more PDP 9ja is not one party system:

2 Likes

Re: PDP Governors To Release Jonathan’s One-term Pact by nuclearboy(m): 8:43am On Feb 18, 2013
Its obvious he signed!

Its also obvious the agreement is between him and them, not between him and Nigerians since neither represented Nigeria in the negotiations (which only proves governance is not about Nigerians but personal interest)

Its again obvious he will renege on the agreement and totally destroy whatever claims of honor he had!

Its certain they will all turn against him and deliver their electorates to the "enemy" if only to spite him!

Personal ambition and greed will destroy PDP one way or the other

12 Likes

Re: PDP Governors To Release Jonathan’s One-term Pact by eggheaders(m): 8:47am On Feb 18, 2013
please let them release the copy of the agreement fast.and let Nigerians know the coward and power drunk fool they elected as president.and to aniko Briggs the brand of pawpaw leaf and goat excreta you sniffing is grade a.and seriously you need a session with those doctors in uselu.signed under duress my foot,hello somebody wake this nitwit from her deep slumber.

5 Likes

Re: PDP Governors To Release Jonathan’s One-term Pact by Nobody: 8:48am On Feb 18, 2013
By raising his head above the parapet, it certainly appears that this trojan horse of a Governor is prepared to fall on his own sword.

Now, while I generally refrain from offering advise to PDP henchmen, I think the likes of Aliyu are doing the North a serious disservice, by touting the inviolability of backroom agreements which fly in the face of meritocracy yet again.

Governor Aliyu’s One-Tenure Bombshell Divides The North…Kanti Bello Says “Its A Lie”

[img]http://pointblanknews.com/pbn/wp-content/themes/sahifa/timthumb.php?src=/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/aliyu.jpg&h=330&w=660&a=c[/img]

Allegations from the Northern Governors Forum Chairman and Niger State Governor, Alhaji Babangida Aliyu that President Goodluck Jonathan had entered into a pact with Northern Governors to do a tenure has divided politicians from the North.

Governor Aliyu of Niger State had said in a Radio Interview in Kaduna that the President reached an agreement with PDP governors in 2011 to serve for one term only.

Top Northern Politicians believed that Governor Aliyu was being over ambitious and economical with the truth with his claim that he was present at a meeting when the alleged pact between President Jonathan and Northern Governors was signed.

Governor Aliyu had said: “I recall that at the time he was going to declare for the 2011 election, all the PDP Governors were brought together to ensure that we were all in the same frame of mind.

But a former Senate Chief Whip and a stalwart of the Congress for Progressive Change, CPC, Senator Kanti Bello who claimed to be at the said meeting and had asked the President of his possibility of doing a one term in office said never did the President agreed or signed any agreement to that effect.

According to Senator Bello, “He (Aliyu) is being economical with the truth. You see, I will explain clearly what happened.

“When we were having a meeting, then I was in PDP, we were there at the National Headquarters of the Party, we the principal officers of the Senate, governors and some members of the National Working Committee of the Party.

“A discussion arose and President Jonathan complained about the sequence of elections and lack of support as an executive President and member of our party.

“Then, finally I raised the issue that it is not a question of election, you want to run but since you want to run, some of us feel what you want to do is unconstitutional but since a decision has been taken and a primary has taken place, the majority of the people say run so democratically, there is nothing anybody can do since there has been a convention and nobody objected at the convention about your running.

“ I asked him, what are we going to take in return to our people, what do we tell them? Even if we want to convince our people, we have to take something to them, can you please confirm to us here and now that you are only going to run for one term?

“To be fair to Jonathan, he did not utter a word. You get it clear? He didn’t say a word, he kept quiet and that is where we stopped.

“But later, Governor (Shehu) Shema of Katsina State, and his friends, out of mischief, went and wrote a communiqué that Jonathan was running for only one term. He didn’t say it, but they wrote a communique, I challenge anybody to say that was not what happened.

“You cannot say based on that you have an agreement with Jonathan, you cannot say it. Writing a communiqué on behalf of somebody who didn’t utter a word, I cannot see it as an agreement. That was exactly what happened

“The governors under Shema, particularly Shema being the one who is a lawyer, thinks he is smart. He was the one who wrote the communiqué and gave it to the press, that this is the communiqué of our meeting but to be fair to Jonathan, he didn’t utter a word and it was me who asked that question with Governor Danjuma Goje there at that time.

“He was the one who was even saying Mr. President, we are with you but I was the one who bluntly asked him if he was going to run so that we can go and tell our people.”
Source

9 Likes

Re: PDP Governors To Release Jonathan’s One-term Pact by Demdem(m): 8:55am On Feb 18, 2013
nuclearboy: Its obvious he signed!

Its also obvious the agreement is between him and them, not between him and Nigerians since neither represented Nigeria in the negotiations (which only proves governance is not about Nigerians but personal interest)

Its again obvious he will renege on the agreement and totally destroy whatever claims of honor he had!

Its certain they will all turn against him and deliver their electorates to the "enemy" if only to spite him!

well, somehow u are right. But remember that it was a PDP arrangement. Let him secure the killer party ticket first with all these agreements here and there. The issue wont even get to Nigerians if he cant secure the ticket.

2 Likes

Re: PDP Governors To Release Jonathan’s One-term Pact by Gbawe: 9:02am On Feb 18, 2013
GARRI (x7):

Absolutely correct. GEJ is totally free to disregard his pledge. That is not what really matters. Let us see him get the support to defeat the Northerners who will challenge him for his Party's seat this time around. Many Nigerians are simply too sentimental and feudal to see what matters.

3 Likes

Re: PDP Governors To Release Jonathan’s One-term Pact by Demdem(m): 9:04am On Feb 18, 2013
Gbawe:

Absolutely correct. GEJ is totally free to disregard his pledge. That is not what really matters. Let us see him get the support to defeat the Northerners who will challenge him for his Party's seat this time around. Many Nigerians are simply too sentimental and feudal to see what matters.

i doubt if SE/SS delegates bloc vote will be sufficient to secure that seat for him undecided he will need to form another party if it doesnt grin grin
besides where are those that claim the retardeen isnt desperate for power, am ready to tackle them now grin

1 Like

Re: PDP Governors To Release Jonathan’s One-term Pact by Nobody: 9:04am On Feb 18, 2013
I can see someone going contrary to the agreement.Jonathan should not be trusted.he can always buy his way out.

4 Likes

Re: PDP Governors To Release Jonathan’s One-term Pact by Abagworo(m): 9:05am On Feb 18, 2013
IMHO I think Jonathan can leave his foot prints in the sands of time by conducting a neutral free and fair election as an umpire and not aspirant. He can also leave a negative foot print by contesting and rigging again as done in 2011 but the difference is that the resultant crisis will wipe off a generation of Nigerian leaders. The army will definitely take over after a civil unrest which will be targeted at politicians and their friends. Infact if Jonathan declares he's contesting in 2015, I will relocate with my family to a safer country and watch the crisis on CNN and Al-Jazeera.

5 Likes

Re: PDP Governors To Release Jonathan’s One-term Pact by Nobody: 9:11am On Feb 18, 2013
Demdem:

i doubt if SE/SS delegates bloc vote will be sufficient to secure that seat for him undecided he will need to form another party if it doesnt grin grin
besides where are those that claim the retardeen isnt desperate for power, am ready to tackle them now grin
does he need to form another party? APGA-PDP faction is readily available for him.I trust Peter Obi and the other sellouts.This is where i fear for APGA in the merger embarassed

2 Likes

Re: PDP Governors To Release Jonathan’s One-term Pact by Gbawe: 9:13am On Feb 18, 2013
Demdem:

well, somehow u are right. But remember that it was a PDP arrangement. Let him secure the killer party ticket first with all these agreements here and there. The issue wont even get to Nigerians if he cant secure the ticket.

Thank you !!! I will never understand why Nigerians, often well-educated, choose to be sentimental and biased, to the extent of blinding themselves to what is obvious, when ethnicity is thrown into Politics. This is not the North bullying GEJ. Nothing of the sort. It is GEJ reneging on the pledge he made to Northern governors in his Party to secure the support that defeated the Northern consensus candidate i.e Atiku.

I don't know why some love revising history once the ethnic angle is worked by treacherous characters. Anyway, some will realise why the PDP is regarded as a "Northern Party". I will first urge some children here to go and look at the PDP voting delegates according to region. With GEJ's open treachery, let us see if even one Northern candidate will dare vote for GEJ. South West delegates Nko? Is it SS and SE PDP delegates alone that will win it for GEJ?

Why do people think team GEJ has thrown the idea of "automatic return" for it's Presidential and gubernatorial candidates in the public domain if not that some now realise that GEJ stands no chance of gaining the PDP ticket under the system of delegate voting?

1 Like

Re: PDP Governors To Release Jonathan’s One-term Pact by Demdem(m): 9:14am On Feb 18, 2013
berem: does he need to form another party? APGA-PDP faction is readily available for him.I trust Peter Obi and the other sellouts.This is where i fear for APGA in the merger embarassed

That is if he secures the ticket first. the northern Killer members want the agreement to be fulfilled and that can undermine his chances within his party

1 Like

Re: PDP Governors To Release Jonathan’s One-term Pact by Demdem(m): 9:18am On Feb 18, 2013
Gbawe:

[size=18pt] This is not the North bullying GEJ. Nothing of the sort. It is GEJ reneging on the pledge he made to Northern governors in his Party to secure the support that defeated the Northern consensus candidate i.e Atiku. [/size]

I love this part of ur post. I hope Bigots will be able to make sense out of it. its a family affair inside the killer party itself.
Re: PDP Governors To Release Jonathan’s One-term Pact by Nobody: 9:19am On Feb 18, 2013
Break or mar 2015.
Re: PDP Governors To Release Jonathan’s One-term Pact by Gbawe: 9:24am On Feb 18, 2013
Demdem:

I love this part of ur post. I hope Bigots will be able to make sense out of it. its a family affair inside the killer party itself.

They won't because most are too far gone in blind hatred to realise that actions have consequences in life and that every situation must be inspected on its own unique merit especially with attendant focus on what that portends for the politics of today.
Re: PDP Governors To Release Jonathan’s One-term Pact by PEREP: 9:28am On Feb 18, 2013
miiraaj: Who cares about the agreement! They are all thieves.

UP APC!

Come push am commot

3 Likes

Re: PDP Governors To Release Jonathan’s One-term Pact by Gentlegun(m): 9:34am On Feb 18, 2013
miiraaj: Who cares about the agreement! They are all thieves.

UP APC!
wether pdp or apc, they are all(all politicians) thieves

2 Likes

Re: PDP Governors To Release Jonathan’s One-term Pact by greatgod2012(f): 9:35am On Feb 18, 2013
Now, its obvious that GEJ is not clueless but cunny, however, if d agreement is made public, he will learn to strictly follow any agreement made by him henceforth.

2 Likes

Re: PDP Governors To Release Jonathan’s One-term Pact by HAH: 9:36am On Feb 18, 2013
We don't need to see the agreement he has said it publicly at a rally in katsina that he is going for a single term.

From a reliable source I heard that the presidency want to compel PDP to print only one form a position where party members are occupying and seeking reelection which make Gej unopposed, that that has to pass trhough the governors first.

Wahala dey
Re: PDP Governors To Release Jonathan’s One-term Pact by bong4(m): 9:36am On Feb 18, 2013

[quote author=nuclearboy]Its obvious he signed!

this statement summarizes the aim of all politicians. I always ask the same question over and over again, Are all these accusations and strategies aimed at improving the lot of Nigerians?
Re: PDP Governors To Release Jonathan’s One-term Pact by takedat(m): 9:40am On Feb 18, 2013
PDP, a confederacy of liars, trickish and devious men!

2 Likes

Re: PDP Governors To Release Jonathan’s One-term Pact by saved: 9:44am On Feb 18, 2013

:-The Umbrella is experiencing family inferno. Anko Briggs put more fuel!

1 Like

Re: PDP Governors To Release Jonathan’s One-term Pact by Elueme: 9:45am On Feb 18, 2013
Which agreement are we talking here? Back door lame, informal arrangement that has no constitutional bearing or what? How does this affect the constitution of the federal republic and the eligibility of a candidate contesting elections as enshrined in the constitution. This move get to buttress the evil and cunniness of the northern governors who capitalized on the precarious situation of the president in the last general election to arm twist him into an Okija Like agreement. This desperate move by Aliyu and his clique is dead before arrival because the president like any other person is eligibly bound by the federal constitution to have a re- election and whatever, informal, verbal or written agreement he had with some persons are immaterial as far as good governance is concerned.

4 Likes

Re: PDP Governors To Release Jonathan’s One-term Pact by Nobody: 9:48am On Feb 18, 2013
According to the 2010 article copied in below, it is clear no document was actually signed.

An endorsement communique is not the same as a signed declaration of intent in my opinion.

My One-Term Deal With Governors – Jonathan

YOBOSA UWUGIAREN AND BAYO OLADEJI, ABUJA

President Goodluck Jonathan said yesterday that his deal with governors on the platform of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) before they endorsed him was based on mutual trust and their sincere belief that he can be trusted with power in the general interest of the nation.He denied threatening the governors before they endorsed him as their choice for the 2011presidential race at the last national executive committee (NEC) meeting of the party.

There were reports in some dailies weekend that the president had threatened to sink the boat if the governors refused or failed to endorse him.

"I am the president of this country; there is nothing I have asked from my party that was given to me. We are in this boat together and I am in charge of this boat; I will not go down alone", the President was quoted as telling the governors.

The affected dailies had also reported that it was after this threat that the governors decided to endorse Jonathan as their choice on the grounds that he would do a four-year single term.

However, speaking to journalists in Lagos yesterday, the president's spokesman, Mr. Ima Niboro, said contrary to the report, the president never forced the governors to endorse him.

According to him, "I was there at the meeting; there was never a time the president forced the governors to endorse him; never threatened anybody; in fact, the endorsement was done by the governors before the president arrived the venue of the meeting."

He said what the president said was that it would not be good enough that having worked with the governors for some months now some of them were still saying they could not trust him. He said that the president was just allaying some fears being expressed by some of the governors.

According to him, "The governors did what they did voluntarily with a strong conviction that President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan can be trusted with power for the general interest of our nation."

LEADERSHIP gathered the endorsement communique was drafted by three state governors: Dr. Babangida Aliyu (Niger), Chief Goodswill Akpabio (Akwa Ibom) and Alhaji Ibrahim Shema (Katsina).

Niboro added that the dailies were not fair to the governors, wondering how a democratically elected president could intimidate or threaten democratically elected governors in a federal system. He said that was not the president's style when it comes to public administration.

He blamed the opposition for the misleading stories.

Meanwhile, fresh facts are now emerging why Jonathan accepted the one term condition given by the governors on the platform of the PDP before endorsing him as their preferred candidate for the 2011 presidential poll.

Last week, 20 PDP governors, in a press statement, endorsed the presidential bid of Jonathan with a proviso that he runs for one term only which terminates in 2015 and he, in turn, against the party directive, assures the governors of automatic second term ticket.

Speaking under a condition of anonymity, a very close ally to Jonathan faulted the media reports that claimed the president was literally forced into the deal and disclosed that Jonathan accepted the condition because it tallied with his interpretation of the relevant portion of the constitution.

"It is not true that President Goodluck Jonathan was forced to accept the one term tenure in his meeting with the PDP governors instead while the dialogue was going on and one of the governors raised the issue of tenure and asked him if he was ready for a single term and president Goodkuck said it is not how long but how far. The president told the gathering that one term was okay by him," disclosed the source.

According to this source, "The reason why he accepted this condition was because this has always been his interpretation of Section 137 (1) (b) of the 1999 Constitution and especially the new draft which says one must not be sworn into same office more than twice. You know, the president had been sworn into that exalted office once (after the demise of the late President Umaru Yar Adua) and if he won the next election and he is sworn in, that will make it twice as stipulated by the constitution. This is the truth position of what transpired at the meeting."

Speaking on the contradiction between the position of the president and the national chairman of the PDP over the second term ticket, our source said, "The two are saying the same thing because the fact that President Jonathan supports the second term for the governors does not remove the primaries just as their own endorsement of the president does not stop the presidential primary."

Source: Leadership, 21st December 2010.
Re: PDP Governors To Release Jonathan’s One-term Pact by figment232(m): 9:48am On Feb 18, 2013
GEJ should now realise that the battle line is drawn.He should damn any consequemces and send the EFCC after these good for nothing corrupt governors especially That BABA ALIYU with his overgrown stomach.Hediots mtcheeew!

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Jubril: Kanu Is A Drug Addict Who Shouldn’t Be Taken Seriously – Arewa Youths / Primary School Teacher, Others Forfeit ₦110.4 Million To FG / Adamu Adamu: APC Will Win In 2023 Because I Have Never Lost In My Life

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.