Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,756 members, 7,875,896 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 01:06 AM

We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie - Politics (25) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie (42205 Views)

Ijeoma Ozichi Writes Chimamanda Adichie On The Oba Of Lagos Statement To Igbos / Chimamanda Adichie's Article On The Oba Of Lagos Saga / Postponed Elections: Chimamanda Adichie Is Angry! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) ... (42) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 11:11pm On Jul 01, 2013
Crayola1:

Have you experienced descrimination or racism before? If you say no, does that negate the fact that others have?

Its called an average, some women are paid fairly while others are not, but on average many do not receive a fair wage. Its a simple point really.

Next, in Nigeria at least, is there any transparency to see how wages are distributed? If no then how do you expect anyone to know who makes what.
since you dont know , why are u making assumptions?
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 11:11pm On Jul 01, 2013
Cameroonpride please answer me I don't want to spend the rest of my evening on this thread reading through you and biolabe's bullshiite
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by biolabee(m): 11:12pm On Jul 01, 2013
99cent:

why are you so against a male being paid equally to a female for the same job?
ex. in nigeria, a foreign US/UK national will be paid a LOT more for the same job as a domestic. this is not even hidden and just because you accept this (simply because the owner of such companies tend to be foreign) doesn't mean everyone else who sees a disparity in pay should just keep quiet or shut their mouth because a man owns the company or whatever reason is behind d disparity.

Pls pls dont put words in my mouth

I believe a professional of the requisite qualifications should eatrn the same whether male or female

Are you talking of expats now compared to local workers

Is that what this Is about

Is that the fabled wage gap
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by 99cent: 11:13pm On Jul 01, 2013
biolabee:

I have experienced discrimination, racism subtly when I was on a study
In nigeria all the females I have worked with earn the same as a male with the requisite qualifications

So when u speak of wage gap based on gender, I am yet to see it in nigeria

This is why I ask you [b]do you have a personal experience of wage differential based on gender or do u know anyone who has suffered it[\b]

Note I have asked fellis, bukatyne and 99cent and they have never being able to answer directly

can you expatiate more on the "subtle" racism you said you encountered?
because the "subtle" discrimination is usually the most dangerous. it's difficult to pinpoint it but it's there.
for example, when women start flocking into a profession, somehow, the wage in the profession starts to depress and go down. when men start flocking int a profession, the wage in that area somehow starts go go up.
this applies also to race.

www3.hp.com/t5/Feature-Articles/What-Is-The-Pink-Ghetto-and-How-Do-Working-Women-Break-Out-Of-It/ba-p/5698">http://h30565.www3.hp.com/t5/Feature-Articles/What-Is-The-Pink-Ghetto-and-How-Do-Working-Women-Break-Out-Of-It/ba-p/5698
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Crayola1: 11:13pm On Jul 01, 2013
biolabee:

I have experienced discrimination, racism subtly when I was on a study
In nigeria all the females I have worked with earn the same as a male with the requisite qualifications

So when u speak of wage gap based on gender, I am yet to see it in nigeria

This is why I ask you [b]do you have a personal experience of wage differential based on gender or do u know anyone who has suffered it[\b]

Note I have asked fellis, bukatyne and 99cent and they have never being able to answer directly

I only work part time because I'm in school, and the job is just something to do so I'm not overly concerned with pay. In my actual field then yes I will be more concerned about pay differences.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Crayola1: 11:14pm On Jul 01, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE:
since you dont know , why are u making assumptions?

ask the UN.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 11:17pm On Jul 01, 2013
fellis: Cameroonpride please answer me I don't want to spend the rest of my evening on this thread reading through you and biolabe's bullshiite
if i'm against men and women domination, that means i'm for equality. not a pseudo equality, not a fcking agenda based on trash and falsehoods. gerrit
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 11:18pm On Jul 01, 2013
Crayola1:

ask the UN.
maybe you missed this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mH4lb88DMeo
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by 99cent: 11:20pm On Jul 01, 2013
even among doctors, obgyn track (maternal care) pays much less than other tracks.
women are also more likely to go into pediatric care and guess what, that track has lower pay.

can you now tell me that child care and maternal care is a "easier" job than other specialties?
talk about gender gap!!!

http://dartmed.dartmouth.edu/winter06/html/disc_gender.php
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Crayola1: 11:21pm On Jul 01, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: maybe you missed this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mH4lb88DMeo

A poster from FB and a YouTube vid definitely is better than facts from the UN and US government ok sir I hear.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by 99cent: 11:22pm On Jul 01, 2013
even within those tracks, male obgyns earn much more!
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 11:22pm On Jul 01, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: if i'm against men and women domination, that means i'm for equality. not a pseudo equality, not a fcking agenda based on trash and falsehoods. gerrit

Equality of what? Leadership or rulership? Which equality are you for? Why are you avoiding the question?
Just give me a yes or no abeg, all I want is a yes or a no;

Do you believe in gender equality? Cameroonpride?
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by 99cent: 11:22pm On Jul 01, 2013
Crayola1:

A poster from FB and a YouTube vid definitely is better than facts from the UN and US government ok sir I hear.

one can only laugh at his stup.idity.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 11:23pm On Jul 01, 2013
dumb azz men work more overall. besides maybe you guys should learn how to negotiate a contract .
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Crayola1: 11:24pm On Jul 01, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: dumb azz men work more overall. besides maybe you guys should learn how to negotiate a contract .

Did you read my links? No because even adjusted for time work and other factors there still is a gap.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 11:25pm On Jul 01, 2013
this is people abuse feminists , you clearly didn't watch the video. Anyway she's explainig the wage gap , meaning she accepts that there is a wage gap but at least she is not whining , because she knows men work more and women take more break. .capiche
Crayola1:

Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by biolabee(m): 11:26pm On Jul 01, 2013
Crayola1:

I only work part time because I'm in school, and the job is just something to do so I'm not overly concerned with pay. In my actual field then yes I will be more concerned about pay differences.

Thanks for your response

As an intern do u believe you are paid lesser than a male intern

I read the links you posted and u will agree while the picture is not perfect it highlighted significant gains worldwide from 95 beijing conference

Excerpt on work

Work

Globally, women’s participation in the labour market remained steady in the two decades from 1990 to 2010, hovering around 52 per cent. In contrast, global labour force participation rates for men declined steadily over the same period, from 81 to 77 per cent. In 2010, women’s labour force participation rates remain below 30 per cent in Northern Africa and Western Asia; below 40 per cent in Southern Asia; and below 50 per cent in the Caribbean and Central America. The gap between participation rates of women and men has narrowed slightly in the last 20 years but remains considerable. The smallest gender gaps are in the early adult years and the widest in the prime working ages.

Employment levels in the services sector continue to grow for both women and men. In the more developed economies, the labour force – especially the female labour force – is employed predominantly in services. This sector accounts for at least three quarters of women’s employment in most of the more developed regions and in Latin America and the Caribbean. In contrast, agriculture still accounts for more than half of the employment of women and men in sub-Saharan Africa (excluding Southern Africa) and of women in Southern Asia. In those regions, the majority of workers – women to a greater extent than men – are in vulnerable employment, being either own-account workers or contributing family workers.

@99cent no need to discuss racism here........ the issue is pay gap

Have u experience wage gap due to your gender or do u know someone who has
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Crayola1: 11:26pm On Jul 01, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: this is people abuse feminists , you clearly didn't watch the video. Anyway she's explainig the wage gap , meaning she accepts that there is a wage gap but at least she is not whining , because she knows men work more and women take more break. .capiche

Stating facts is whining? Ok.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 11:28pm On Jul 01, 2013
we are not in elementary school , this is not a yes or no question. i'm for equality of chances, as i have already said .people regardless the race or the gender must have the possibility to make something of themselves. same chances , same opportunities. however with the social differences(rich and poor) we are going deep into idealism . however i still belive we can't reduce to the strict minimun some disparities
fellis:

Equality of what? Leadership or rulership? Which equality are you for? Why are you avoiding the question?
Just give me a yes or no abeg, all I want is a yes or a no;

Do you believe in gender equality? Cameroonpride?
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 11:33pm On Jul 01, 2013
Crayola1:

Stating facts is whining? Ok.

Hahaha, oh my.

A woman working the same hours, in the same position, doing the same work earns EXACTLY the SAME as a man.

That women statistically will gravitate towards lesser paying jobs does not mean there is a wage gap. A female firefighter earns the exact same as a male. Same for a female factory worker. Female lumberjack. Female pilot. Female office worker. Female IT professional. Female steel mill worker. Female police officer.

This REFUTES the gender gap myth. In order for there to BE a gender pay gap, you need to have one gender being paid more than another for the same thing.

It is illegal to deny women jobs because they are a woman. It’s illegal to deny them the same pay rate. It’s illegal to not give them minimum wage.

If people statistically not physically capable or, for whichever reason, aren’t socially wanting to take a certain job (such as, oh, firefighter)…it is NOT a magical cultural construct. It’s the fact that people not physically capable and not motivated don’t tend to become firefighters REGARDLESS of GENDER

^^^ the dude said it all

Hope our feminazi will oonder on that tongue tongue

1 Like

Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by 99cent: 11:33pm On Jul 01, 2013
biolabee:

@99cent no need to discuss racism here........ the issue is pay gap

Have u experience wage gap due to your gender or do u know someone who has

I may have but I can't say because I don't go around asking my co-workers how much they earn. The people who collect the pay data say unequivocally that there is a GAP.
in the face of the data, some have even argued that women aren't "negotiating" enough but when u seriously look at it, it's just plain gender discrimination.

race is another way people are discriminated against in wage. there is also a wage gap between races. so trying to remove race from gender is silly because they can be linked
see this table:

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0882775.html
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by 99cent: 11:41pm On Jul 01, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE:

That women statistically will gravitate towards lesser paying jobs

that's another misconception. the jobs become less paying because women gravitate towards it.not the other way round.
ex teachers used to consist of males only in the past. since women started to become more and more involved in the teaching profession, now society almost demonizes the teaching profession. it is the first profession to get attacked in the union fight and teachers rights getting stripped away. the equivalent will be the police force( male dominated) which didn't get touched AT ALL.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by biolabee(m): 11:41pm On Jul 01, 2013
99cent: even among doctors, obgyn track (maternal care) pays much less than other tracks.
women are also more likely to go into pediatric care and guess what, that track has lower pay.

can you now tell me that child care and maternal care is a "easier" job than other specialties?
talk about gender gap!!!

http://dartmed.dartmouth.edu/winter06/html/disc_gender.php
I read this link and the data is very subjective
If u look at the methodology quoted below you will see that they tried to adjsut for a range of factors which may be really difficult to objectively assess

It is even better to assert that women are not being given fairer advancement opportunities than say a male n female of the same qualifications and experience are earning different wages.
This i agree with

Excerpts from the research

They draw their data from phone surveys conducted in the 1990s by the American Medical Association. In ob-gyn, for example, the weighted sample included 709 white males, 162 white females, 40 black males, and 26 black females—all in nonfederal, office-based practices.
Adjusted:The researchers then adjust for such factors as years in practice, hours worked, type of patients, board certification, and practice ownership. This is important because females tend to
work fewer hours, are more likely to be nonowners, and are less likely to be board-certified than white males. Black males, though, typically report working more hours than white males and disproportionately serving the medically indigent.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 11:46pm On Jul 01, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: We are not in elementary school , this is not a yes or no question. i'm for equality of chane, as i have already said .people regardless the race or the gender must have the possibility to make something of themselves. same chances , same opportunities.
It is not a yes or no question abi? And here I was developing respect for your paganism bevause I thought it supported gender equality, mtscheeew.
And if you believe men and women should be given equal opportunities then why the hell are you posting memes about women returning to the kitchen/staying in the kitchen? Why are you implying that women be restricted to the kitchen? What is your problem exactly?
If you like don't even answer me, just do whatever you want abeg, I have lost interest in your confused and hypocritical paganism.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by biolabee(m): 11:47pm On Jul 01, 2013
99cent:

I may have but I can't say because I don't go around asking my co-workers how much they earn. The people who collect the pay data say unequivocally that there is a GAP.
in the face of the data, some have even argued that women aren't "negotiating" enough but when u seriously look at it, it's just plain gender discrimination.

race is another way people are discriminated against in wage. there is also a wage gap between races. so trying to remove race from gender is silly because they can be linked
see this table:

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0882775.html

So you have not experienced wage discrimination based on your gender or know someone who has yet you speak authoritatively on the subject

The issue of race is real and cannot be discounted

Based on your data, whites earn more than blacks who earn more than the hispanics - all genders combined.
This is why affirmative action was set up in the 60s to help the blacks who are less than 15 percent of the popl and are thus a minority
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by 99cent: 11:47pm On Jul 01, 2013
biolabee:
I read this link and the data is very subjective
If u look at the methodology quoted below you will see that they tried to adjsut for a range of factors which may be really difficult to objectively assess

It is even better to assert that women are not being given fairer advancement opportunities than say a male n female of the same qualifications and experience are earning different wages.
This i agree with

Excerpts from the research

i'm not going to argue with you because nothing I say will ever convince you. u are set in ur mindset.
and even when u say that you've experienced "subtle racism" i'm sure there are many whites who will argue with you and say that you have never experienced such and u are lying.
it's not my task to convince u of anything. u are set in ur mindset as a male who wants to maintain the status quo.
no point arguing with you.
crayola has presented data to u from the UN and US government. apparently, youtube videos are a more believable source of data to you.
LOL. no need to waste my time.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by druid06(m): 11:49pm On Jul 01, 2013
@CamerounPride is a misogynist or whatever that word means.. grin
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 11:49pm On Jul 01, 2013
my angry and bitter black woman, there are still more male teachers than female ones so what exactly is your point? besides we have plenty female officers in the olice force, we have a poster on NL policewoman ask her if she's earning less. your post doesn't make any sense. whaat is the aim? what's the purpose to mae a job less paying? it is not going to kick out women and salary discrimination is illegal . so what exactly are u barking about?
99cent:

that's another misconception. the jobs become less paying because women gravitate towards it.not the other way round.
ex teachers used to consist of males only in the past. since women started to become more and more involved in the teaching profession, now society almost demonizes the teaching profession. it is the first profession to get attacked in the union fight and teachers rights getting stripped away. the equivalent will be the police force( male dominated) which didn't get touched AT ALL.

Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by biolabee(m): 11:52pm On Jul 01, 2013
99cent:

i'm not going to argue with you because nothing I say will ever convince you. u are set in ur mindset.
and even when u say that you've experienced "subtle racism" i'm sure there are many whites who will argue with you and say that you have never experienced such and u are lying.
it's not my task to convince u of anything. u are set in ur mindset as a male who wants to maintain the status quo.
no point arguing with you.
crayola has presented data to u from the UN and US government. apparently, youtube videos are a more believable source of data to you.
LOL. no need to waste my time.

It is your call however I have read all the links you posted up and acknowleged the dartmouth research
pointed to you that assessing adjustments due to ownership of practice and years of experience is subjective and you ssy I have a mindset
This is direct from the researchers weeks n wallace...

I am not biased but I really wanted a healthy debate

No issues though
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by 99cent: 11:53pm On Jul 01, 2013
biolabee:

So you have not experienced wage discrimination based on your gender or know someone who has yet you speak authoritatively on the subject

The issue of race is real and cannot be discounted

Based on your data, whites earn more than blacks who earn more than the hispanics - all genders combined.
This is why affirmative action was set up in the 60s to help the blacks who are less than 15 percent of the popl and are thus a minority

do you know that you cannot "prove" discrimination in MOST cases?
when u suspect discrimination, what u do is u you file complaint with the government (EEOC) and then they go out and act as "undercover" home renters or jobseekers.
google "burden of proove"
why do u think discrimination persist if it is so easy to just accuse anyone of it?

unless coworkers are sharing their salaries with each other (esp. in private companies) no body knows what the other person is making. in fact, in some cases, it's illegal to share such information. the data though can be compiled by govt.
why do you think people who are fighting for rights target government laws and policies?
if all we needed to do is "convince biolabee" that sexism exist then clearly women will not even have 1% of the rights they have today.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 11:53pm On Jul 01, 2013
blah blah blah balh .
leave paganism alone angry angry angry angry
the meme is for when a woman is not making any sense. just like c.fours
i don't have any authority on this forum , so i don't think my meme can influence a person esp a feminazi like you and your friends, so stop whining . no one is forcing you to stay in the kitchen. grin grin grin
fellis:
It is not a yes or no question abi? And here I was developing respect for your paganism bevause I thought it supported gender equality, mtscheeew.
And if you believe men and women should be given equal opportunities then why the hell are you posting memes about women returning to the kitchen/staying in the kitchen? Why are you implying that women be restricted to the kitchen? What is your problem exactly?
If you like don't even answer me, just do whatever you want abeg, I have lost interest in your confused and hypocritical paganism.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by 99cent: 11:54pm On Jul 01, 2013
http://www.eeoc.gov/laws/types/sex.cfm
^ EEOC website above.
the overall goal and reason feminism exist is so that such a website will not even be needed in the first place!!

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) ... (42) (Reply)

Meet President Tinubu's Special Advisers / "If You Have N1m Run Away From Nigeria" -Tinubu Supporter Advocates For Japa / Kayode Fayemi Bows To Greet Tinubu In Aso Rock (Photo)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.