Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,199 members, 7,887,493 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 09:41 AM

We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie - Politics (28) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie (42242 Views)

Ijeoma Ozichi Writes Chimamanda Adichie On The Oba Of Lagos Statement To Igbos / Chimamanda Adichie's Article On The Oba Of Lagos Saga / Postponed Elections: Chimamanda Adichie Is Angry! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) ... (42) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 2:10am On Jul 02, 2013
99cent:

most likely before u do.
u should be more worried for urself than for me.
make i hear. definitively not with your 290pounds
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by 99cent: 2:11am On Jul 02, 2013
davidylan:

Obviously you cant read. I just told you i turned down an offer to be paid the same high rate to go back to work in Naija. I would have been placed on the same hazard pay for the same job as my fellow naija. The American working in Iraq is payed "hazard" (you understand that right?) pay... that is what makes his pay more than that of the Iraqi guy working the same job. The American dude is essentially placing his life on the line to work in a place that does not have the same access to quality healthcare and legal protections as the US. The Iraqi guy is working in his own country...

Perhaps you need me to teach you to read too?

you are the illiterate one here. U will see that none of your friends in nigeria (biolabee, druid etc) are coming to your defense because they understand what i'm talking about.
no point to say any more. I will wait for ur friends living in Nigeria to come and talk. grin
yea. an american citizen's life certainly is worth more than a domestic nigerian citizen's life. isn't that already obvious.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by 99cent: 2:14am On Jul 02, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: make i hear. definitively not with your 290pounds

what a silly little pest.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 2:14am On Jul 02, 2013
99cent:

you are the illiterate one here. U will see that none of your friends in nigeria (biolabee, druid etc) are coming to your defense because they understand what i'm talking about.
no point to say any more. I will wait for ur friends living in Nigeria to come and talk. grin

yea. an american citizen's life certainly is worth more than a domestic nigerian citizen's life. isn't that already obvious.

I provide several reasons why the average pay for an expatriate is higher in third world countries and the mid-east (even going so far as to provide examples where nigerians and blacks have been placed on the same hazard wages compared to local workers) and you ignored that in favor of repeating your baseless rants? Shakes head... obviously this isnt about reasoned dialogue for you.

1 Like

Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 2:16am On Jul 02, 2013
99cent:

what a silly little pest.
damn c.fours , why are you so angry and bitter. your weight is not a fatality, i mean not yet .
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 2:17am On Jul 02, 2013
99cent:

It is not the fault of the american citizen that he has a government that values his life. If the nigerian feels marginalized he shld pls blame his own government. It is not the remit of the foreign company to pay a nigerian worker in nigeria wages on the basis of American labor laws.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by 99cent: 2:17am On Jul 02, 2013
davidylan:

I provide several reasons why the average pay for an expatriate is higher in third world countries and the mid-east (even going so far as to provide examples where nigerians and blacks have been placed on the same hazard wages compared to local workers) and you ignored that in favor of repeating your baseless rants? Shakes head... obviously this isnt about reasoned dialogue for you.

tis tis tis grin
let the Nigerians living in Nigeria come and argue and justify their low pay in comparison to lebanese and expatriate workers. I can't wait to have a laugh.
many that I know complain about it.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by 99cent: 2:21am On Jul 02, 2013
davidylan:

It is not the fault of the american citizen that he has a government that values his life. If the nigerian feels marginalized he shld pls blame his own government. It is not the remit of the foreign company to pay a nigerian worker in nigeria wages on the basis of American labor laws.

if the american citizen goes in the face of the nigerian citizen and starts spewing rubbish and arguing the way you are that there is no discrimination or that the pay differential is justified. or approaching it the same way that you and other anti-feminists are doing, then I will say that such american citizen is definitely obnoxious and guilty. it is mostly mindset (psychological inferiority complex on d part of the domestics/ superiority complex on the part of the foreign nationals) that help to maintain the status quo anyway. because nothing is stopping the domestics from going out to protest and challenge the situation.

even myself as i'm speaking, there are somethings I would tolerate living in nigeria that I may not tolerate anymore now that i've lived abroad.
chimamanda i'm sure, in her video, is speaking from that same place. visiting nigeria and realizing how much sexism is there. something she wouldn't have realized had she never left nigeria in d first place.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 2:22am On Jul 02, 2013
99cent:

tis tis tis grin
let the Nigerians living in Nigeria come and argue and justify their low pay in comparison to lebanese and expatriate workers. I can't wait to have a laugh.
many that I know complain about it.

to be honest, i earnestly await them so we can have a reasoned discourse on the issue. Obviously this issue is more about emotions and hot air with you and above your pay-grade.

Just an example... women like Okonjo-Iweala took up jobs in nigeria at wages far above what a male naija-based colleague would have been placed. Is that the discrimination you are talking about?

1 Like

Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by 99cent: 2:24am On Jul 02, 2013
davidylan:

to be honest, i earnestly await them so we can have a reasoned discourse on the issue. Obviously this issue is more about emotions and hot air with you and above your pay-grade.

Just an example... women like Okonjo-Iweala took up jobs in nigeria at wages far above what a male naija-based colleague would have been placed. Is that the discrimination you are talking about?

I agree. we had Joan (or what's her name). female anti-feminist.
we had toshmann, black republican.
I don't think anything can surprise me anymore on this thread grin
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 2:25am On Jul 02, 2013
99cent:

if the american citizen goes in the face of the nigerian citizen and starts spewing rubbish and arguing the way you are that there is no discrimination or that the pay differential is justified. or approaching it the same way that you and other anti-feminists are doing, then I will say that such american citizen is definitely obnoxious and guilty. it is mostly mindset (psychological inferiority complex on d part of the domestics/ superiority complex on the part of the foreign nationals) that help to maintain the status quo anyway. because nothing is stopping the domestics from going out to protest and challenge the situation.

this is mindless stup[i]i[/i]dity. I based my points solely on the facts, all you have responded with is emotional blathering.

Again let me repeat... it has nothing to do with complex... by law a US citizen is entitled to certain benefits. Such laws are not applicable here in nigeria so the foreign company is not obligated to pay a nigerian worker the same wage. Quick example... foreign workers IN the US are entitled to a wage equal to what a US citizen will earn for the same job... it is the law... nothing to do with complex.

But of couse i expect your next fact-free diatribe.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by 99cent: 2:27am On Jul 02, 2013
davidylan:

I will imagine that if it were a white male, he would probably be paid EVEN higher salary than Okonjo Iweala herself.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 2:27am On Jul 02, 2013
99cent:

I agree. we had Joan (or what's her name). female anti-feminist.
we had toshmann, black republican.
I don't think anything can surprise me anymore on this thread grin

the point being? If you're female you should automatically be feminist? If you're black you must be democrat? It is this illogical, narrow-minded view of the world that makes one wonder.

1 Like

Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by 99cent: 2:27am On Jul 02, 2013
davidylan:

this is mindless stup[i]i[/i]dity. I based my points solely on the facts, all you have responded with is emotional blathering.

Again let me repeat... it has nothing to do with complex... by law a US citizen is entitled to certain benefits. Such laws are not applicable here in nigeria so the foreign company is not obligated to pay a nigerian worker the same wage. Quick example... foreign workers IN the US are entitled to a wage equal to what a US citizen will earn for the same job... it is the law... nothing to do with complex.

But of couse i expect your next fact-free diatribe.

I guess I hit a nerve.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 2:29am On Jul 02, 2013
99cent:

I will imagine that if it were a white male, he would probably be paid EVEN higher salary than Okonjo Iweala herself.

another fact-free emotion-based piece of mindless crap.

First of all, would you consider it discrimination for Iweala to be paid more than her male colleagues just because she worked for the UN? Please answer the question.

Secondly, you know a white man would have earned more than her because? So a white man would have been appointed minister for finance in Nigeria? Laughable.

I'll have what you're smoking ma'am
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by 99cent: 2:29am On Jul 02, 2013
davidylan:

the point being? If you're female you should automatically be feminist? If you're black you must be democrat? It is this illogical, narrow-minded view of the world that makes one wonder.

nope. I know there are female anti feminist. just as there are many black republicans.
not common. but they exist.
so?all I said is I won't be surprised if they agreed that nigerian workers deserve lower pay than expatriate workers.
let's just wait for druid and biolabee.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 2:32am On Jul 02, 2013
99cent:

nope. I know there are female anti feminist. just as there are many black republicans.
not common. but they exist.
so?all I said is I won't be surprised if they agreed that nigerian workers deserve lower pay than expatriate workers.
let's just wait for druid and biolabee.

It is not about "deserving" something or not... it is about facts beyond your control.

1. As a contract employee (which most foreign workers are), you have better leverage to negotiate a higher wage.
2. Hazard pay for being moved outside your country
3. Additional payments to make up for differences in standard of living (it happens here, i got payed for moving to a more expensive state than my colleagues hired at the same time... 3 of them were white by the way).

But of course i expect the next fact-free diatribe from you.

1 Like

Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by 99cent: 2:36am On Jul 02, 2013
davidylan:

it has a lot to do with complex
and also, laws are not permanent. they can be changed. there is such thing as a legal recourse. groups that feel marginalized by a law can protest to change it.

and u are wrong about the second part of ur post.if it is not a unionized job, an employer can decide pay as he/she wishes and justify it by thing like "previous salary," etc
not all employees working the same job, doing the same exact task, necessarily earn equal amount unless the job is unionized.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 2:44am On Jul 02, 2013
99cent:

it has a lot to do with complex
and also, laws are not permanent. they can be changed. there is such thing as a legal recourse. groups that feel marginalized by a law can protest to change it.

and u are wrong about the second part of ur post.if it is not a unionized job, an employer can decide pay as he/she wishes and justify it by thing like "previous salary," etc
not all employees working the same job, doing the same exact task, necessarily earn equal amount unless the job is unionized.

Laws of course can be changed. It is not the job of the foreign company to change your country's laws for you. If you feel bad, you can engage a lawyer.

With regard to your claim about union jobs, that is not applicable in the case of an expatriate assignment. I thought even a 5-yr old would know that.

True, not all employees working the same job earn the same amount. In most companies, you are told that right from your first week. Your pay is usually based on job performance. Work hard and you earn more, spend all your time on maternity leave and you will earn less. Chikena.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by 99cent: 2:49am On Jul 02, 2013
davidylan:

Laws of course can be changed. It is not the job of the foreign company to change your country's laws for you. If you feel bad, you can engage a lawyer.

With regard to your claim about union jobs, that is not applicable in the case of an expatriate assignment. I thought even a 5-yr old would know that.

now you are talking.
these workers, can go about their work in many different ways. they can bring the case first to the company to negotiate or take it to court right away.
but like I said, there will be some workers (some of the foreign ones enjoying preferential benefits) who will feel threatened by these local workers. ie "who do they think they are." etc
and that is the dynamic that I see here in this case.
most anti-feminists are just folks who feel threatened by gender equality.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by 99cent: 2:50am On Jul 02, 2013
davidylan:

True, not all employees working the same job earn the same amount. In most companies, you are told that right from your first week. Your pay is usually based on job performance. Work hard and you earn more, spend all your time on maternity leave and you will earn less. Chikena.

i'm actually talking mostly about starting salary wink
and also all wage (all things being equal ie when u account for time off on maternity leave etc. or people who don't take maternity or paternity leave and there is still a pay diffeential)
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 2:54am On Jul 02, 2013
99cent:

now you are talking.
these workers, can go about their work in many different ways. they can bring the case first to the company to negotiate or take it to court right away.
but like I said, there will be some workers (some of the foreign ones enjoying preferential benefits) who will feel threatened by these local workers. ie "who do they think they are." etc
and that is the dynamic that I see here in this case.
most anti-feminists are just folks who feel threatened by gender equality.

I have been talking for a while, you either weren't listening or you didnt understand.
What exactly is the nigerian worker going to negotiate with the foreign company? You are paid according to the laws of your country. If nigeria feels a minimum wage of $0.75/hr is ok then why should the foreing company feel compelled to pay more just because the expatriate is payed on the same scale as US law demands?
The nigerian worker has no case in court, he will be better served pressurizing his congressman.

The foreign worker feels threatened by local workers? Why? when he can simply get on the next flight back to his country and preferential benefits?
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 2:56am On Jul 02, 2013
99cent:

i'm actually talking mostly about starting salary wink
and also all wage (all things being equal ie when u account for time off on maternity leave etc. or people who don't take maternity or paternity leave and there is still a pay diffeential)

Starting salary is usually the same. the disparity starts after the first general wage increment and is driven solely by job performance. If you are payed less than your co-worker then you should take a good look at your work productivity. Too many people want to be payed for doing nothing these days.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by 99cent: 2:56am On Jul 02, 2013
Last week, Nigeria's senior oil workers union, went on a five-day strike against US oil giant Chevron to demand equal rights and privileges.

They were angry that expatriate workers are paid higher than their local counterparts. They also say that expats occupy an average of 77 percent of the top management positions, leaving Nigerians with only 23 percent.

This situation is reflected in many industries operating on the continent, who have come under fire for employing costly expatriates rather than locals with the same abilities and experience.

But in most cases, this is justified by claims there is a skills shortage.

Is your pay and condition of service lower than is paid to expatriate staff in the same job? Are expatriates taking jobs that could be done by locals? If you are an expatriate working in Africa, is the disparity justified? Are foreign workers treated better than local staff?

https://www.nairaland.com/146949/foreigners-earn-more-than
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by 99cent: 2:57am On Jul 02, 2013
and they talk about "angry" feminists.

They also say that expats occupy an average of 77 percent of the top management positions, leaving Nigerians with only 23 percent.

hmm that sounds familiar grin
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 2:59am On Jul 02, 2013
99cent: Last week, Nigeria's senior oil workers union, went on a five-day strike against US oil giant Chevron to demand equal rights and privileges.

They were angry that expatriate workers are paid higher than their local counterparts. They also say that expats occupy an average of 77 percent of the top management positions, leaving Nigerians with only 23 percent.

This situation is reflected in many industries operating on the continent, who have come under fire for employing costly expatriates rather than locals with the same abilities and experience.

But in most cases, this is justified by claims there is a skills shortage.

Is your pay and condition of service lower than is paid to expatriate staff in the same job? Are expatriates taking jobs that could be done by locals? If you are an expatriate working in Africa, is the disparity justified? Are foreign workers treated better than local staff?

https://www.nairaland.com/146949/foreigners-earn-more-than

grin grin grin grin

This is a senseless strike going nowhere and is a sad indictment of the victim (and entitlement) mentality that you espouse. Chevron is a company built and maintained by expatriates... why should nigerian local workers feel entitled to the management positions just because the company does business with nigeria? Why cant they quit and move to NNPC or NLNG where hausas fill all the lucrative management positions?

Of course you bet if i was working in a country where i am liable to be kidnapped any minute that i would expect to be compensated for it.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by 99cent: 3:00am On Jul 02, 2013
Another one:

WARRI—NIGERIAN workers of Julius Berger Nigeria Plc, Ekpan, near Warri, Delta State, have protested alleged persecution and prejudice against them by a German official of the company, who directed that low-grade black workers should not have a canteen on the company’s premises.

A Warri-based rights group, the Human Rights Defenders Organization of Nigeria, HURDON, had on June 14, petitioned the Inspector-General of Police, IGP, over an attempted murder, intimidation and racial discrimination against Nigerians working in the firm, by the German official.

The workers alleged that the expatriate ordered the demolition of the junior workers’ canteen because of his hatred for blacks and gave them un unkempt Caravan after their protest, which they rejected, insisting that they should be treated as human beings.

The German official declined to speak to Vanguard when contacted for comments, but HURDON, in the petition, jointly signed by its national chairman and national secretary, Sir Casely Omon-Irabor and Felix Odogu, said the expatriate “created a special canteen for the whites only and other amenities for white only” and also “gave strict instruction that no black should be seen around these areas”.

According to the group, a 45-year-old Nigerian security guard, employed by an independent contractor, Mr. Ohare Anthony, who was oblivious of the segregation rule, walked close to the canteen meant for whites alone while on patrol, and unfortunately for the black man, the German national saw him and allegedly unleashed his Alsatian dog on him.

He said that when the dog wrestled Mr. Anthony to the ground and sank its teeth into his flesh, the official, who had earlier brought out his pistol to further intimidate him, packeted it and left with the dog after inflicting injury on the worker.

“Mr. Anthony was treated and discharged from the hospital and he has been under the threat of losing his job since the incident until finally when he was brought to our office to lodge this complaint. We call on you to use your good offices to investigate this man and let the appropriate action be taken against him if the allegation is proved”, the group told the IGP.

https://www.nairaland.com/695042/how-germans-abuse-nigerian-workers

3 posts down, you will see this:

"you should hear what they do to the female employees, pitiful."
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by 99cent: 3:03am On Jul 02, 2013
@davidlan,
click those threads and read the comments to see that most Nigerians DO NOT agree with you wink
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 3:03am On Jul 02, 2013
99cent: Another one:

WARRI—NIGERIAN workers of Julius Berger Nigeria Plc, Ekpan, near Warri, Delta State, have protested alleged persecution and prejudice against them by a German official of the company, who directed that low-grade black workers should not have a canteen on the company’s premises.

A Warri-based rights group, the Human Rights Defenders Organization of Nigeria, HURDON, had on June 14, petitioned the Inspector-General of Police, IGP, over an attempted murder, intimidation and racial discrimination against Nigerians working in the firm, by the German official.

The workers alleged that the expatriate ordered the demolition of the junior workers’ canteen because of his hatred for blacks and gave them un unkempt Caravan after their protest, which they rejected, insisting that they should be treated as human beings.

The German official declined to speak to Vanguard when contacted for comments, but HURDON, in the petition, jointly signed by its national chairman and national secretary, Sir Casely Omon-Irabor and Felix Odogu, said the expatriate “created a special canteen for the whites only and other amenities for white only” and also “gave strict instruction that no black should be seen around these areas”.

According to the group, a 45-year-old Nigerian security guard, employed by an independent contractor, Mr. Ohare Anthony, who was oblivious of the segregation rule, walked close to the canteen meant for whites alone while on patrol, and unfortunately for the black man, the German national saw him and allegedly unleashed his Alsatian dog on him.

He said that when the dog wrestled Mr. Anthony to the ground and sank its teeth into his flesh, the official, who had earlier brought out his pistol to further intimidate him, packeted it and left with the dog after inflicting injury on the worker.

“Mr. Anthony was treated and discharged from the hospital and he has been under the threat of losing his job since the incident until finally when he was brought to our office to lodge this complaint. We call on you to use your good offices to investigate this man and let the appropriate action be taken against him if the allegation is proved”, the group told the IGP.

https://www.nairaland.com/695042/how-germans-abuse-nigerian-workers

3 posts down, you will see this:

"you should hear what they do to the female employees, pitiful."

things like these happen only because you come from a country that cares nothing for you or your welfare.

1 Like

Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 3:05am On Jul 02, 2013
99cent: @davidlan,
click those threads and read the comments to see that most Nigerians DO NOT agree with you wink

Again this is a senseless and pretty simplistic way of viewing things. Just because 100,000 people believe the earth is flat does not make it so. Argue on the basis of facts and not the majority... that is what despairs me with the "feminist" movement... it has become a rallying point for women who have no ideals beyond the need to feel superior to others.

1 Like

Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by 99cent: 3:05am On Jul 02, 2013
Chimamanda is asking us all to be feminists for a reason.
Nigeria cares nothing about women's welfare.
neither does the republican party in the USA
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by 99cent: 3:09am On Jul 02, 2013
another one:
Chinese Expats Treat Nigerian Employees as Punching Bag (when they are not submissive enough)
https://www.nairaland.com/784817/chinese-expats-treat-nigerian-employees

"The Chinese kick Nigerian workers on the testicles when they are not submissive."

lol. I thought only women are supposed to be 'submissive' grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) ... (42) (Reply)

Before And After Photos Of Amaechi's Pot Belly By Reno Omokri / Shekarau's Defection To PDP In 2014 & 2022 In Pictures: Has Anything Changed? / "If You Have N1m Run Away From Nigeria" -Tinubu Supporter Advocates For Japa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.