Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,759 members, 7,875,907 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 01:24 AM

We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie - Politics (27) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie (42207 Views)

Ijeoma Ozichi Writes Chimamanda Adichie On The Oba Of Lagos Statement To Igbos / Chimamanda Adichie's Article On The Oba Of Lagos Saga / Postponed Elections: Chimamanda Adichie Is Angry! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) ... (42) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by 99cent: 1:13am On Jul 02, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: I'm having a severe diarrhea of the mouth

fixed.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by 99cent: 1:13am On Jul 02, 2013
druid06:

She's not only married but has grandchildren you pathetic liar. I have an internet connection like you.

Ok cool

next?
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by druid06(m): 1:16am On Jul 02, 2013
99cent:

Ok cool

next?

I have said all I wanted to. If you're too stup-id not to see the underlying message I've been trying to pass to you then it's your darn business.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by 99cent: 1:16am On Jul 02, 2013
druid06:

Married my ar-se you pathetic liar. I have an internet connection like you do.

Chimamanda is a feminist.
her main accomplishment is not her marriage. she ain't anne macaulay (or whatever her name is. 2face baby mama turn wife)
she has better class than to go shouting up and down that she has a ring.
besides, who cares.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 1:16am On Jul 02, 2013
99cent:

re-read the topic again. it says "single women"
unless u are saying all single women are prostitutes then in that case, I won't be surprised. that's not very much unlike you now is it, monkey?
the topic is misleading, typical from people with an agenda. there's no way a single woman registered in the hotel will b kicked out.period

they are protecting their business. there are more single women prostitutes than married women.

and i stand to b correct no one is going to b kicked without an investigation. how are they going to know that the girl is single?
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 1:18am On Jul 02, 2013
99cent:

i' obese
ugly
angry
bitter
single and desperately searching

hepl me

we know
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by 99cent: 1:19am On Jul 02, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: the topic is misleading, typical from people with an agenda. there's no way a single woman registered in the hotel will b kicked out.period

and i stand to b correct no one is going to b kicked without an investigation. how are they going to know that the girl is single?

hahaha classic.
welcome to Nigeria. when u visit, u will believe.
re-watch Chimamada's video. she touches on some of the same issues of her experience visiting restaurants and hotels.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 1:19am On Jul 02, 2013
99cent:

why are you so against a male being paid equally to a female for the same job?
ex. in nigeria, a foreign US/UK national will be paid a LOT more for the same job as a domestic. this is not even hidden and just because you accept this (simply because the owner of such companies tend to be foreign) doesn't mean everyone else who sees a disparity in pay should just keep quiet or shut their mouth because a man owns the company or whatever reason is behind d disparity.

This is meaningless. Foreign workers earn the same as their local counterparts in terms of base pay. What makes things more expensive is that they earn what is known as hazard pay based on the relative differences in standard of living, socio-political hazards they may be prone to face etc. One example... some colleagues of mine earn more than 3x their salary working in Iraq - of course that makes sense considering they are moving to a place where their lives are far less secure.

It is helpful for people to put things in context before just spewing needless pablum.

1 Like

Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Oildichotomy(m): 1:21am On Jul 02, 2013
Still discussing this?? Like seriously?? You keep on going round in circles expecting to get a rectangle'== These girls because i can't possibly call them feminist, need a Man that can feel an emotional void that the 'feminist demon' is currently occupying. ,''hahaha what hypocrites''

2 Likes

Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by 99cent: 1:21am On Jul 02, 2013
druid06:

I have said all I wanted to. If you're too stup-id not to see the underlying message I've been trying to pass to you then it's your darn business.

what a stuupid fool
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by 99cent: 1:23am On Jul 02, 2013
Oildichotomy^:
Still discussing this?? Like seriously?? You keep on going round in circles expecting to get a rectangle'== These girls because i can't possibly call them feminist, need a Man that can feel an emotional void that the 'feminist demon' is currently occupying. ,''hahaha what hypocrites''

well, check the topic title.
why are there anti-feminists on a topic that clearly promotes feminism.
I am posting in a right thread.
all u anti-feminists r d ones on the wrong thread. in case u don't see that.LOL
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 1:23am On Jul 02, 2013
davidylan:

This is meaningless. Foreign workers earn the same as their local counterparts in terms of base pay. What makes things more expensive is that they earn what is known as hazard pay based on the relative differences in standard of living, socio-political hazards they may be prone to face etc. One example... some colleagues of mine earn more than 3x their salary working in Iraq - of course that makes sense considering they are moving to a place where their lives are far less secure.

It is helpful for people to put things in context before just spewing needless pablum.
foreigners tend to earn more because they are under contracts unlike the locals. so foreigners can easily negotiate their wages.

as for what you said don't mind her , her skull is too thick , she won't get it
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 1:29am On Jul 02, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: foreigners tend to earn more because they are under contracts unlike the locals. so foreigners can easily negotiate their wages.

as for what you said don't mind her , her skull is too thick , she won't get it

The basic problem is too many people speak in cliches... repeating endless slogans completely out of context. The video you put up on the wage gap issue is a very good example. I was surprised to note that the study on which the claim is based did not control for similarities in job skills. Of course there is a wage gap between a male mechanical engineer and a female social worker... is that discrimination?
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by 99cent: 1:36am On Jul 02, 2013
the simple reason behind it is foreign western workers have more "cache" than domestic workers.
USA and UK are developed countries and in comparison, black workers are worth less than white workers or even indian or lebanese workers. look at u pretending that there aren't many nigerian workers complaining about the disparity. grin
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by 99cent: 1:40am On Jul 02, 2013
davidylan:

and just to clarify, i'm talking about expatriate foreign workers in nigeria working alongside nigerians doing the same work!
in case of iraq, that will be an american working in iraq alongside an Iraqian doing the same exact tasks but there being a wage disparity.
it all has to do with "worth"

u can justify it all u wish. but many nigerians complain about it. clearly they also feel the pain of discrimination. LOL women, doubly so.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 1:48am On Jul 02, 2013
99cent: the simple reason behind it is foreign western workers have more "cache" than domestic workers.
USA and UK are developed countries and in comparison, black workers are worth less than white workers or even indian or lebanese workers. look at u pretending that there aren't many nigerian workers complaining about the disparity. grin

that is absolutely false. I have been offered the chance to work at my company's office back in nigeria for the same high pay as the American worker would be payed and i decided against it. A friend (black by the way) was seconded by the Dow chemical company to work for its JV in Saudi Arabia, he earns far more than his white colleagues back in the US and collects $250,000/yr in travel allowance.

Of course there are many Nigerian workers complaining about it but like you, they are largely ignorant of the reasons behind it. Like i said... you really dont understand the issues, you simply repeat tired cliches you heard others saying. Just because someone is crying wolf doesnt mean a wolf really exists out there.

1 Like

Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Oildichotomy(m): 1:48am On Jul 02, 2013
99cent:

well, check the topic title.
why are there anti-feminists on a topic that clearly promotes feminism.
I am posting in a right thread.
all u anti-feminists r d ones on the wrong thread. in case u don't see that.LOL
And who are the FEMINISTS?
You?
Shawty please, excuse me== like seriously?== If feminists are counted, you will raise up your hand. My dear do a personal psycho-analysis of your needs you'll so surprised a man is obviously the need..''hahaha what hypocrites''
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 1:50am On Jul 02, 2013
99cent:

and just to clarify, i'm talking about expatriate foreign workers in nigeria working alongside nigerians doing the same work!
in case of iraq, that will be an american working in iraq alongside an Iraqian doing the same exact tasks but there being a wage disparity.
it all has to do with "worth"

u can justify it all u wish. but many nigerians complain about it. clearly they also feel the pain of discrimination. LOL women, doubly so.

you just repeated the same nonsense. It isnt worth... it is called hazard pay and is dependent on the relative stability of the area you are seconded to. Funny enough i (black nigerian) earn a good 25% more than my colleagues in Belgium... working the same job for the same company. Reason? They get 12 weeks vacation time (standard requirement in the EU by law) and we get at most 3-4 weeks.

Again, it is not enough to just copy-paste articles from the web... understand them first.

1 Like

Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by 99cent: 1:51am On Jul 02, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: foreigners tend to earn more because they are under contracts unlike the locals. so foreigners can easily negotiate their wages.

as for what you said,i have worms in my ears and it will take a while to work them out

good that you bring that up. Have you heard of a woman called Wangari Maathai, feminist.
read the highlighted part of the rest of my post here to see what she did to help her female co-workers.

Maathai continued to teach at Nairobi, becoming a senior lecturer in anatomy in 1974, chair of the Department of Veterinary Anatomy in 1976 and associate professor in 1977. She was the first woman in Nairobi appointed to any of these positions.[23] During this time, she campaigned for equal benefits for the women working on the staff of the university, going so far as to attempt to turn the academic staff association of the university into a union, in order to negotiate for benefits. The courts denied this bid, but many of her demands for equal benefits were later met.[24] In addition to her work at the University of Nairobi, Maathai became involved in a number of civic organizations in the early 1970s. She was a member of the Nairobi branch of the Kenya Red Cross Society, becoming its director in 1973. She was a member of the Kenya Association of University Women.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by 99cent: 1:55am On Jul 02, 2013
davidylan:

you just repeated the same nonsense. It isnt worth... it is called hazard pay and is dependent on the relative stability of the area you are seconded to. Funny enough i (black nigerian) earn a good 25% more than my colleagues in Belgium... working the same job for the same company. Reason? They get 12 weeks vacation time (standard requirement in the EU by law) and we get at most 3-4 weeks.

Again, it is not enough to just copy-paste articles from the web... understand them first.

stop pretending as if you don't understand what i'm talking about.
i'm not comparing you to your co-worker.
i'm comparing your co-worker to his ACTUAL coworkers in the "hazard" land.hahahaha
explain to me why he is earning almost 3x as much as an Iraqian coworker doing the same exact tasks and hired by the same company.

if you went to nigeria tomorrow and start working. chances are if you have a lebanese or white co-worker under the same company, he/she will earn much more than you. whether you like it or not.
somehow d oyinbo is too good for hazard while the domestic is just a mule who should be grateful and accept his lower pay contently.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 1:55am On Jul 02, 2013
99cent:

good that you bring that up. Have you heard of a woman called Wangari Maathai, feminist.
read the highlighted part of the rest of my post here to see what she did to help her female co-workers.

Maathai continued to teach at Nairobi, becoming a senior lecturer in anatomy in 1974, chair of the Department of Veterinary Anatomy in 1976 and associate professor in 1977. She was the first woman in Nairobi appointed to any of these positions.[23] During this time, she campaigned for equal benefits for the women working on the staff of the university, going so far as to attempt to turn the academic staff association of the university into a union, in order to negotiate for benefits. The courts denied this bid, but many of her demands for equal benefits were later met.[24] In addition to her work at the University of Nairobi, Maathai became involved in a number of civic organizations in the early 1970s. She was a member of the Nairobi branch of the Kenya Red Cross Society, becoming its director in 1973. She was a member of the Kenya Association of University Women.

*YAWNS*
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Crayola1: 1:58am On Jul 02, 2013
[quote author=druid06]

So your icon, legend and your idol is not married?? Hmmmmm, I wonder why!!![/
]

Adiche is married... For quite a while.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by 99cent: 1:59am On Jul 02, 2013
Oildichotomy^:
And who are the FEMINISTS?
You?
Shawty please, excuse me== like seriously?== If feminists are counted, you will raise up your hand. My dear do a personal psycho-analysis of your needs you'll so surprised a man is obviously the need..''hahaha what hypocrites''

are you threatened?
you sound scared.

i'm sorry for you.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by 99cent: 2:02am On Jul 02, 2013
Crayola1:
Adiche is married...huh For quite a while.

he said he googled it and didn't find information on her marriage so therefore it must be a lie n she must be an "old bitter woman" since she is not proclaiming from all rooftops that she is married.
grin
I think he was confusing her for anne macaulay (2face wife).
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 2:02am On Jul 02, 2013
99cent:

i'm comparing your co-worker to his ACTUAL coworkers in the "hazard" land.hahahaha
explain to me why he is earning almost 3x as much as an Iraqian coworker doing the same exact tasks and hired by the same company.

dumb azz the locals follow the law of the land , and are paid according to the wage minimum

i don't know for Nigeria . but here workers(locals have grades from A2 -C1) which give you deserve a specifc salary in the state companies or public administration. ask Nigerians when they come back from Yankeee or are recruited as foreigner in Nigeria if they receive the sames with others Nigerians. do you know the meaning of a contract? this is just like asking why Mourinho a portuguese has the biggest salary in england for the same coaching position . you are a dunce if you don't understand what is a contract and how companies increase wages to attract the cream of the cream. if i iwant the best in a field i put the money to bring him in .period
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by 99cent: 2:03am On Jul 02, 2013
^ i didn't pose the question to you so go and sit ur azz down in a corner somewhere. amebo
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 2:05am On Jul 02, 2013
99cent:

if you went to nigeria tomorrow and start working. chances are if you have a lebanese or white co-worker under the same company, he/she will earn much more than you. whether you like it or not.
somehow d oyinbo is too good for harzard while the domestic is just a mule who should be grateful and accept his lower pay contently.

Obviously you cant read. I just told you i turned down an offer to be paid the same high rate to go back to work in Naija. I would have been placed on the same hazard pay for the same job as my fellow naija. The American working in Iraq is payed "hazard" (you understand that right?) pay... that is what makes his pay more than that of the Iraqi guy working the same job. The American dude is essentially placing his life on the line to work in a place that does not have the same access to quality healthcare and legal protections as the US. The Iraqi guy is working in his own country...

Perhaps you need me to teach you to read too?

1 Like

Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 2:05am On Jul 02, 2013
99cent: ^ i didn't pose the question to you so go and sit ur azz down in a corner somewhere. amebo
anuofia, you can still lose some weight . olodo
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 2:06am On Jul 02, 2013
99cent:

he said he googled it and didn't find information on her marriage so therefore it must be a lie n she must be an "old bitter woman" since she is not proclaiming from all rooftops that she is married.
grin
I think he was confusing her for anne macaulay (2face wife).
when do u get married ,oo angry and bitter c.fours?
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 2:07am On Jul 02, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: when do u get married ,oo angry and bitter c.fours?

is 99cents the same person as c.fours? The c.fours on the family section appeared to be married and had a better command of english grammar. 99cents appears to be a confused semi-literate individual to me.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by 99cent: 2:08am On Jul 02, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: when do u get married ,oo angry and bitter c.fours?

most likely before u do.
u should be more worried for urself than for me.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 2:09am On Jul 02, 2013
davidylan:

is 99cents the same person as c.fours? The c.fours on the family section appeared to be married and had a better command of english grammar. 99cents appears to be a confused semi-literate individual to me.
they are the same ...guess feminism is spoiling her mind

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) ... (42) (Reply)

BREAKING: Olorogun Felix Ibru Is Dead / Boma Goodhead Challenges Armed DSS Officer: 'I Dare You To Shoot This Bullet' / The Arrival Of Atiku In Owerri

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.