Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,177,992 members, 7,903,156 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 July 2024 at 06:13 AM

Obama Skips Nigeria In His Africa Visit - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obama Skips Nigeria In His Africa Visit (20428 Views)

See How Ahmadu Bello Greeted Queen Elizabeth On Her Visit 2 Nigeria In 1956(pic / Obama Africa Visit: Ignoring Nigeria Is America's Loss. / Atiku Skips OBJ In His Protocol List At Yar'Adua's Memorial Lecture (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Obama Skips Nigeria In His Africa Visit by Nobody: 1:29pm On May 21, 2013
^^^^Go take your ritalin dosage and get some sleep, mate.
Re: Obama Skips Nigeria In His Africa Visit by ba7man(m): 1:30pm On May 21, 2013
shymexx:

That's the problem with most of you; you're just too loud for your own good. So loud, yet so empty. It's a virus, the great Wole Soyinka, described as the "Nigerian Disease."

Anyway, what's there to further exploit in Nigeria, when the same country(America) has Nigeria on its choke-hold? Nigeria serves American interests before its national interests - that shows how much leverage America has in your country.

Your post shows that you don't understand international politics and the dynamics of "allyship" among allies. A state visit is a reassurance that; America is still down for/with you. And America will align with you, in case, you find yourself in troubled-waters/problems you can't solve on your own. The snub basically means; America doesn't want to be associated with Nigeria - despite Nigeria being its most willing-tool/submissive-servant in sub-saharan Africa.

Nigeria to America; is like that chic you smash everyday(behind closed doors), but don't want people to see with you in public. It's just disgraceful, to be honest. sad undecided
Sad......but true.
Re: Obama Skips Nigeria In His Africa Visit by chris365(m): 1:50pm On May 21, 2013
I now get your problem. You lack intellect but will like to express yourself by just reigning insults and quoting stuff you find on google. Trully Nigeria has leadership problems and we don't need the world to tell us that. It's our country and we ain't got no other. But it shouldn't give you the impression that Nigerians are as shallow as our Leaders. That is what sickens me. And you just proved how intellectually myopic you are. Am done talking to you. Ask yourself shimexxx... Do you have a country? And don't tell me you are british abeg
Re: Obama Skips Nigeria In His Africa Visit by druid06(m): 1:55pm On May 21, 2013
illitrate: And will his visit deposit money in people's account?
Someday people will beg to just visit.

Ah! I was about to write something in response to your comment but your user handle just said it all..
Re: Obama Skips Nigeria In His Africa Visit by mensdept: 2:01pm On May 21, 2013
Why are some of you people becoming so defensive?

speedyboi: Good riddance! Who wants his visit anyways?

costan306: we dnt pple dat assasinate people with drones in the name of terror and we dnt nid people dat accuse other nations of developing WMD wen the spend billions of dollars upgrading their own

kingsley Mbang: Obama is not god that we should cry 4 hs visit 2 Naija. American ar d ones 2 beg us 2 visit them,After al they depended largely on our resources.

The truth is Nigeria is not relevant. The entire country is trying to get visa to go abroad, give birth to kids abroad, import cars and clothes from abroad, do red carpet events like Genevieve Nnaji and co imitating real actors from abroad, go for medical checkup abroad, and so on and so forth. So basically, being a Nigerian citizen is worthless and Obama knows this.

1 Like

Re: Obama Skips Nigeria In His Africa Visit by pappythinko(m): 2:05pm On May 21, 2013
Lilimax: I am not surprised at all. We need to put our house in order before
expecting the likes of Obama to visit Nigeria.
We have a lot of domestic issues we are battling with as a country...we need to face them sad
Obama na Jesus christ? abegi make person hear word joor...
Re: Obama Skips Nigeria In His Africa Visit by mensdept: 2:07pm On May 21, 2013
^^^Did you read what he wrote. Put your house in order is correct. Obama compared to your governor is "Jesus Christ"
Re: Obama Skips Nigeria In His Africa Visit by Symphony007: 2:16pm On May 21, 2013
Rubbish!! Why are'nt kenyans crying about obama not visiting them? Afterall that's his home country..nigerians just like raising smke for nothing. If obama does'nt visit us, it does'nt stop our 7:5% annual growth. It does'nt prevent china from from being our largest trading partner! Infact the u.s is becoming practically insignificant in africa. I'll be more worried about xi xingiping not visiting nigeria than the head of a declining power.

5 Likes

Re: Obama Skips Nigeria In His Africa Visit by Freiburger(m): 2:17pm On May 21, 2013
mens dept:

The truth is Nigeria is not relevant. The entire country is trying to get visa to go abroad, give birth to kids abroad, import cars and clothes from abroad, do red carpet events like Genevieve Nnaji and co imitating real actors from abroad, go for medical checkup abroad, and so on and so forth. So basically, being a Nigerian citizen is worthless and Obama knows this.

Gbam. Even the so- called celebrites are now running to the US to give birth. I'm not dissing my beloved country, but some comments here make me wanna punch my monitor.
Re: Obama Skips Nigeria In His Africa Visit by kwajahafiz(m): 2:37pm On May 21, 2013
o'boy:
Who is Obama is he related to Osama?
spoken like a real baffoon....dumbasz.
Re: Obama Skips Nigeria In His Africa Visit by lernah: 2:38pm On May 21, 2013
Obama ko cobhams ni must he cum 2 nigeria weneva hes cumin 2 africa? Mtw arbeg mk im mind im business 4 yankee make we mind our own 4 9ja cus if im do mistake cum ehn na im boko haram go bomb next
Re: Obama Skips Nigeria In His Africa Visit by chris365(m): 2:38pm On May 21, 2013
mens dept: Why are some of you people becoming so defensive?

even though am not gonna deny the fact that our so called leaders whether opposition or ruling, have made things bad for us. i don't think that's why he isn't coming. my only beef with Nigerians is they like to make issues out of nothing. Obama rarely visits his allies and they don't blow a fuse. even Kenya where he's from don't bother that he keeps skipping them. i just don't know what is wrong with our mentality in this country.

2 Likes

Re: Obama Skips Nigeria In His Africa Visit by chris365(m): 2:48pm On May 21, 2013
Symphony007: Rubbish!! Why are'nt kenyans crying about obama not visiting them? Afterall that's his home country..nigerians just like raising smke for nothing. If obama does'nt visit us, it does'nt stop our 7:5% annual growth. It does'nt prevent china from from being our largest trading partner! Infact the u.s is becoming practically insignificant in africa. I'll be more worried about xi xingiping not visiting nigeria than the head of a declining power.

gbam... if i were part of the policy makers, i would advocate a stronger china/Nigeria, Russia/Nigeria ties. which is more beneficial than America and the west. if only our leaders were smart. i still say that the only thing that will make me happy is when Chinese premier will visit Nigeria and sign bilateral and trade deals, like Nigeria and south Africa just did weeks back. not just state visits that some people are crying here as if we haven't had the queen of England here before undecided

1 Like

Re: Obama Skips Nigeria In His Africa Visit by Ferdinandu(m): 3:01pm On May 21, 2013
Obama not visiting is billions saved for Nigeria because that's what it will take away from Nigeria purse for him visiting

4 Likes

Re: Obama Skips Nigeria In His Africa Visit by Nobody: 3:02pm On May 21, 2013
Symphony007: Rubbish!! Why are'nt kenyans crying about obama not visiting them? Afterall that's his home country..nigerians just like raising smke for nothing. If obama does'nt visit us, it does'nt stop our 7:5% annual growth. It does'nt prevent china from from being our largest trading partner! Infact the u.s is becoming practically insignificant in africa. I'll be more worried about xi xingiping not visiting nigeria than the head of a declining power.

America's well documented inconsistencies aside, Kenyatta's unresolved issues with the ICC is one plausible factor here.
By the way, I see the Kenyans have decided to take this one on the chin. No Azonto dancing, no hullabaloo, just a diplomatic response commensurate with the awkwardness of a snub.

Kenya 'fine' with Obama snub

Kenya said Tuesday it was "fine" with US President Barack Obama avoiding the country on an Africa tour next month, rejecting reports it was due to upcoming crimes against humanity trials of its leaders.

Obama will leave on a first African tour in late June, visiting Senegal, Tanzania and South Africa, but his itinerary bypasses Kenya, where his father was born.

"America, just like Kenya, is an independent country and its president has the democratic right to visit wherever he wants," Kenyan government spokesman Muthui Kariuki told AFP.

"Kenya is moving on with its development agenda and we continue to be part of the league of nations. We are not worried that he is not coming to Kenya. We are fine."

Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta and Vice President William Ruto, elected in March, both face trial at the International Criminal Court (ICC) in The Hague for their alleged roles in orchestrating deadly violence in 2007-8 following previous polls.

A US administration official said on condition of anonymity that Kenyatta's election had been a complicating factor in setting Obama's schedule in Africa, but Kariuki dismissed such reports.

"There have been rumours that President Obama is avoiding Kenya because of the ongoing ICC cases," he said. "These are unfounded accusations."

Obama did visit Kenya in 2006, shortly after he was elected to the Senate, but before he announced his 2008 run for the White House.

Obama's step-brother, Malik Obama, who failed miserably to win a county governor's seat in Kenya's March polls, grumpily replied "no comment" to questions on the US leader's visit.

Malik (54) who shares a father with the US president, won just 2792 votes - some 140 000 behind the final winner - in his bid to claim the seat for his home area in western Kenya where their father was born.

Source

Back to your post...

Much like the the peacock which refuses to alter its dignified manner of walking when told the forest is on fire, it comes as no surprise that there commentators like you who care little for the truth. Continue deluding yourself with claims like the "the u.s is becoming practically insignificant in africa", even as unassailable facts prove otherwise.

Nigeria's main exports partners are:USA (30% of total in 2009), Equatorial Guinea (8%), Brazil (6.6%), France (6%) and India (6%). Nigeria imports mainly: industrial supplies (32% of total), transport equipment and parts (23%), capital goods (24%), food and beverage (11%) and consumer goods. Main import partners are: China (17% of total), Albania (11.3%), United States (7.5%), France and Belgium.
Balance of Trade

What is more, let's assume you are genuinely aggrieved by the US, and not simply responding in reactionary mode...as a Black man, can you afford to be equally dismissive of its 50 million strong African (Black) population?

On a different note, it will be interesting to see what Mr Abati's response is this time around, considering the view he expressed back in 2009... wink

"Most people believe it's deliberate, not a mere oversight, and it's a statement and the message is well conveyed," said Reuben Abati, editor of the Guardian. "Nigerians are very angry with their government."
Source
Re: Obama Skips Nigeria In His Africa Visit by Emmyk(m): 3:43pm On May 21, 2013
shymexx:

Do you know the significance of state visit by your biggest ally?

It shows Obama doesn't rate both your president and your country despite being the biggest willing tools in that region.
who really care about his rating
Re: Obama Skips Nigeria In His Africa Visit by Mantiza(m): 3:54pm On May 21, 2013
If this is a true report TELL HIM WE DONT NEED HIS PRESENCE '666' HE IS CARING AROUND IS A COMMUNICABLE DISEASE. I SEND HIM BACK WITH DE HOLY GHOST CONSUMING THUNDER... angry angry angry angry angry angry angry

1 Like

Re: Obama Skips Nigeria In His Africa Visit by shadrach77: 4:01pm On May 21, 2013
Who is Obama, but a Kenyan who was elevated by God but now sees himself as a demi-god. Someone who is too embarrassed to associate with his race. I always knew he is very cocky, which is not suprising, considering the fact that he is a Leo (astrological sign) and they are quite cocky. Much more popular American presidents such as Carter, George W Bush and Bill Clinton never considered Nigeria too tainted to warrant their visit, so he is really silly angry angry angry

1 Like

Re: Obama Skips Nigeria In His Africa Visit by Nobody: 4:02pm On May 21, 2013
chris365:

even though am not gonna deny the fact that our so called leaders whether opposition or ruling, have made things bad for us. i don't think that's why he isn't coming. my only beef with Nigerians is they like to make issues out of nothing. Obama rarely visits his allies and they don't blow a fuse. even Kenya where he's from don't bother that he keeps skipping them. i just don't know what is wrong with our mentality in this country.
You are very much ON POINT!

Me not visiting my best friend in 2 years, doesn't mean he/she is no longer relevant to me.
Re: Obama Skips Nigeria In His Africa Visit by sucess001(m): 4:07pm On May 21, 2013
tomber: They will someday beg to visit...
What do we need his visit for in d first place

Typical Nigerians...

Blowing hot even when its clear to a blind man they are on a wrong path...

even if the Devil ruled Nigeria, some fools will defend him on NL.
Re: Obama Skips Nigeria In His Africa Visit by PetroDolla: 4:12pm On May 21, 2013
Ghana’s history is rich, the ties between our two countries are strong, and I am proud that this is my first visit to sub-Saharan Africa as President of the United States.

“And I have come here, to Ghana, for a simple reason: the 21st century will be shaped by what happens not just in Rome or Moscow or Washington, but by what happens in Accra as well
good talk, Obama. grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Obama Skips Nigeria In His Africa Visit by Nobody: 4:15pm On May 21, 2013
sucess001:
Typical Nigerians...

Blowing hot even when its clear to a blind man they are on a wrong path...

even if the Devil ruled Nigeria, some fools will defend him on NL.

Bro., that's the Nigerian Disease for you.
Re: Obama Skips Nigeria In His Africa Visit by Nobody: 4:16pm On May 21, 2013
PetroDolla: good talk, Obama. grin grin grin

Ghana runs West Africa!!! wink

Don't mind the lousy oafs from the other big-for-nothing wasteland!

1 Like

Re: Obama Skips Nigeria In His Africa Visit by Nobody: 4:19pm On May 21, 2013
@ehie,

Clearly unable to marshal any sensible argument, I see you've aptly taken to sucking the dummy like the dummy you truly are.
Re: Obama Skips Nigeria In His Africa Visit by HezronLorraine(m): 4:21pm On May 21, 2013
Valto: obama ko! michelle ni! .. must he visit nigeria anytime he is in africa ... what do we even stand to gain from his visit .. its not like we invited him and he later turned it down, so why all the the buzz undecided
my instincts never fail me.I knew he wouldn't be coming and the unnecessaery buzz the media made out of it was annoying.I don't get why nigerians should be irated by his non-visist,Obama owes Nigeria nothing by coming nor his is breaking any protocol cause our head of state did not invite him.it ain't like his turning down an invite.I believe America's orientation about Nigeria has changed,they now see us a country that is vital,whose voice need be heard on the african continent.those in the diplomatic community can tell more.mind you a visit by another head of state during a time where state of emergency is declared in parts of the country doesn't go well with me.we should prove to the world that we are not comedians and we put our country first above some banquet or entertainment of a foreign visitor.its a no no for me.even Jonathan cut cut the expectation of namibians short recently to attend to security issues in the country.has namibia stopped existing.Nigeria won't crumble or stand stronger whether Obama visits or not.I believe there's motive to Obama's actions.it took him one whole term to visit a whole Israel.which according to custom is wrong for him to have done.as president of the us its not his sole decision to set foot outside the states he makes consultations and accesses the purpose and impact of his visit.let's stop the ranting we've had ex-presidents of the US visit us.even Jonathan's visit to Ivory coast is more important to the country than Obama's visit.

1 Like

Re: Obama Skips Nigeria In His Africa Visit by Nobody: 4:22pm On May 21, 2013
shymexx:

You are asking for trouble on this one...

Wait till the fair-weather micro-nationalists turn you.
Re: Obama Skips Nigeria In His Africa Visit by PetroDolla: 4:25pm On May 21, 2013
shymexx:

grin grin grin grin no be me talk am ooooh grin grin grin don't worry, nobody fit do shishi, but na tru talk be dat oooh grin grin grin
Re: Obama Skips Nigeria In His Africa Visit by Symphony007: 4:25pm On May 21, 2013
eGuerrilla:

America's well documented inconsistencies aside, Kenyatta's unresolved issues with the ICC is one plausible factor here.
By the way, I see the Kenyans have decided to take this one on the chin. No Azonto dancing, no hullabaloo, just a diplomatic response commensurate with the awkwardness of a snub.

Source

Back to your post...

Much like the the peacock which refuses to alter its dignified manner of walking when told the forest is on fire, it comes as no surprise that there commentators like you who care little for the truth. Continue deluding yourself with claims like the "the u.s is becoming practically insignificant in africa", even as unassailable facts prove otherwise.

Balance of Trade

What is more, let's assume you are genuinely aggrieved by the US, and not simply responding in reactionary mode...as a Black man, can you afford to be equally dismissive of its 50 million strong African (Black) population?

On a different note, it will be interesting to see what Mr Abati's response is this time around, considering the view he expressed back in 2009... wink

Source
don't be silly!i can assure you that some years back. Us and nigerian trade was over 50% but as u noted, it's now 30. This is how it will futher decline due to the stupidity of washington. While they are busy pursing human rights and corruption, china is locking up africa. The new AU headquaters was built by china as a gift for africa. That kenya he is avoiding is now the home of CCTV. China's state news agency in africa. They have totally locked up that economy. The tanzania he is visiting is already in china's pocket. Xi xingiping just visited there months ago.

South africa is not hiding it's anti american sentiments. Voting against u.s interest in the u.m on syria and iran. Openely allying themselves with the BRICS. While the u.s drowns in it's stupidity, fellow "human rights" countries are actively chasing nigeria. David cameron and angela merkel have visited, dilma rouseff has vuisited. Jonathan has done state visits to germany,france,turkey,u.k...and vladimir puttin is planning a visit to abuja!

So nigeria need not worry about an obama visit, rather we should ally ourselves with the countries that really matter to our growth. Kenya could care less if obama visits their country, their economy is already roaring with china as their partner. When countries like ours is withnessing 7.5% growth, why cry about a snub by a country managing 1.2%.
Re: Obama Skips Nigeria In His Africa Visit by Symphony007: 4:33pm On May 21, 2013
shymexx:

an obama visit today is worthless my dear, is this not the same obama that visited burma where the government is cheering on the massacre of muslims? Lately the only head of state to visit ghana is the criminal president of iran,ahmejinada meanwhile nigeria has welcomed, dilma rouseff, angela merkel, david cameron, indonesian president, zuma, mevedev and many more, these are the countries that mattar, not a declining power.

1 Like

Re: Obama Skips Nigeria In His Africa Visit by sucess001(m): 4:35pm On May 21, 2013
Symphony007: an obama visit today is worthless my dear, is this not the same obama that visited burma where the government is cheering on the massacre of muslims? Lately the only head of state to visit ghana is the criminal president of iran,ahmejinada meanwhile nigeria has welcomed, dilma rouseff, angela merkel, david cameron, indonesian president, zuma, mevedev and many more, these are the countries that mattar, not a declining power.

lmao! so becos the United States doesnt like your ways, they become a declining power? choi! government apologists will not fail to gimme comedic relief...

So which of the countries whose leaders you mentioned is a rising super power?
Re: Obama Skips Nigeria In His Africa Visit by Nobody: 4:38pm On May 21, 2013
shymexx:

err.. Goodluck to you with that

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Lai: Buhari Poverty Alleviation, Job Creation Programs Best In Nigerian History / Suspected Thugs Disrupt Pro-atiku Meeting In Rivers / Alex Ott’s Victory Nullification Won’t Stand – Peter Obi’s Spokesman Yunusa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.