Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,180,611 members, 7,911,577 topics. Date: Monday, 05 August 2024 at 12:41 PM

Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. (52091 Views)

Photos Of The PDP Senators Who Walked Out Because Of Amaechi / Senators Who Accompanied Saraki To CCT Trial Today (photos) / Names Of Senators Who Accompanied Saraki To CCT Yesterday....... [29 In All] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by Nobody: 6:27pm On Jul 19, 2013
These shameless Senators belong to the politics hall of shame! Approving underage marriage is absolutely disgusting and repugnant. Tufiakwa.

1 Like

Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by canalily(m): 6:28pm On Jul 19, 2013
devour129: Ndi Hausa, Uche Nama . Anyways it's for the poor and uneducated ones they can deceive .i know most of these people and there family and none of there daughters will go tru this.they must finish first degree in abtii or any school in Europe and even second degree on top before marriage
Nneoma u de mind them? Abeg lets tok better tin jor! They need devourer to devour their minds!
Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by stiiv(m): 6:33pm On Jul 19, 2013
so pathetic. How many of them give out their daughter for such kind of marriage, yet they take leverage on the future of this lads. May God ve mercy on them
Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by Nobody: 6:33pm On Jul 19, 2013
I now know why nigeria is upside down. This bunch of fools that call themselves lawmakers are not only stupid but illiterate that all they can sit down to deliberate on with all the problems confronting nigerian is how to insert their big ugly penis in an underage girl. May God punish those monsters. They are a disgrace not only to nigerians but the whole world,let them hide their faces in shame. Useless old men.

1 Like

Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by dejsmiles(m): 6:34pm On Jul 19, 2013
The house should be nt be called National Assembly bt Fools Assembly
Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by Kolababa: 6:44pm On Jul 19, 2013
The Senate, Yerima And The Child’s Right By Ayo Turton
July 19, 2013 - 15:27 — siteadmin
By Ayo Turton
The social media - Twitter, Facebook, different yahoogroups and what-have-you are all buzzing, my in-boxes on all my email accounts have been busy, text messages have not been spared, it has gone spiral that the Nigerian Senate has passed a law that made it right to sexually abuse our minors through forced and premature marriages. Some say the law relating to marriageable age in our Constitution has been removed. Petitions are flying right, left and center to the United Nations, Human Rights organizations across the world and anyone that may care to listen, all requiring me to sign in on the petitions, when I could not ignore the deafening intrusions again and when the name of that guy that bought a baby girl from Egypt for a wife (I mean he is old enough to be her ancestor) keep popping up in all the messages, I decided to get off my butt and get involved and informed.
But then it took me just a few phone calls and a quick check on the content of our Constitution to discover that it is just a storm in a tea cup. It turned out that what happened on the floor of the Senate has absolutely nothing to do with a child’s right or marriageable age.
Now what really happened; a Senate Committee made recommendations for the amendment of Sections 26 and 29 of the Constitution that dealt with Citizenship and Renunciation of Citizenship respectively.
Section 26 of the 1999 Constitution states as follows:
26. (1) Subject to the provisions of section 28 of this Constitution, a person to whom the provisions of this section apply may be registered as a citizen of Nigeria, if the President is satisfied that -
(a) he is a person of good character;
(b) he has shown a clear intention of his desire to be domiciled in Nigeria; and
(c) he has taken the Oath of Allegiance prescribed in the Seventh Schedule to this Constitution.
(2) the provisions of this section shall apply to-
(a) any woman who is or has been married to a citizen of Nigeria; or
(b) every person of full age and capacity born outside Nigeria any of whose grandparents is a citizen of Nigeria.
For gender balance, the word “woman” @ section 26 (2) (a) was recommended for removal to cover “men” as well, the amendment passed without an incident.
It was recommended that Section 29 (4) (b) of the Constitution be removed as infringing the right of a child because it purportedly remove the maturity age for a child to marry, I do not think so.
Here is what Section 29 of the Constitution says:
(1) Any citizen of Nigeria of full age who wishes to renounce his Nigerian citizenship shall make a declaration in the prescribed manner for the renunciation.
(2) The President shall cause the declaration made under subsection (1) of this section to be registered and upon such registration, the person who made the declaration shall cease to be a citizen of Nigeria.
(3) The President may withhold the registration of any declaration made under subsection (1) of this section if-
(a) the declaration is made during any war in which Nigeria is physically involved; or
(b) in his opinion, it is otherwise contrary to public policy.
(4) For the purposes of subsection (1) of this section.
(a) "full age" means the age of eighteen years and above;
(b) any woman who is married shall be deemed to be of full age.
The clause that is really causing this unnecessary hullabaloo is Section 29 (4) (b). That clause has always been part of our laws, but the Senate moved to remove it as infringing on child's right by making every married woman an adult. At the taking of the vote for the first time, they got two-third to remove it from the Constitution. But Yerima stood up and whipped up religious sentiment by galvanizing his Muslim brothers who ignorantly believed him into action. When the peace was threatened, David Mark, the Senate President capitulates and asked that the vote be taken again, at this point they were no longer able to garner two-third votes to remove the provision from the Constitution, so it remains.
Now to the legal issue:
Section 29 (4) CLEARLY states: "for the purposes of subsection 1"
Section 29 subsection (1) CLEARLY states: "Any citizen of Nigeria of full age WHO WISHES TO RENOUNCE HIS NIGERIAN CITIZENSHIP (emphasis mine) shall make a declaration in the prescribed manner for the renunciation".
This is called "narrow definition” Subsection (1) narrowly defined under what circumstances the definitions stated at clauses (a) and (b) would be applicable.
Therefore clauses (a) and (b) of section 29 (4) are only relevant to "renunciation of citizenship" alone.
What made this clearer and should leave no one in doubt is the fact that clause 29 (4) (a) re-emphasized that “full age” shall be 18, but if you are already married, for the purposes of renunciation of citizenship you shall be automatically qualified to do so even if you are not 18 yet. Because you are deemed of "full age" for renunciation reason based on the unambiguous definition given by subsection 29 (1) In any case S. 29 (4) (b) is referring to someone already married not about-to-marry.
As a matter of fact, if you ask me, the Constitution as it is, threatens Yerima status than support it. He is married to a baby-girl from Egypt. If that girl suddenly realizes that she has been forced into a marriage with a man old enough to be her ancestor, she can independently renounce her citizenship and take the next train to Egypt.
But then, we should seize on this opportunity to pressurize our Senators to make express laws against child’s marriage and abuses. The statistics with regards to cases of Vesico-Vagina Fistula (VVF) in the part of the country where childhood marriage is practiced is not encouraging at all. Let us properly redirect our anger to achieve the desired result, because it is apparent that even the Senate is lost on this, if they think that removing S.29 (4) (b) would take care of a child’s right, they have got another think coming, they need to consult their lawyers more.
That section is more useful for a foreign child that has been forced into a marriage than it can benefit anybody when removed.
Ayo Turton is a US-based lawyer.

2 Likes

Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by shamson: 6:45pm On Jul 19, 2013
Before this condemnation, please can anyone tell us the authenticity of this list?
In whatever form, Islam reject in totality a marriage where the woman consent is not seek before a marriage is consumed.But, we should be mindful of spoiling someones images just to settle a score
Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by ruthDung: 6:47pm On Jul 19, 2013
Thank God no senator from plateau state oh ,though must that voted are northern Muslim so is not a story
Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by ndavids5(m): 6:50pm On Jul 19, 2013
Some senators did not register to vote, while some abstained.

After the second voting, Yerima tried to get up to thank the Senate Present and his colleagues in an attempt to claim victory, he was shouted down and booed.

This is just the begining. Sen. Yerima'll still meet more of his doom. I wish a muslim member of the senate'll marry his grand daughter or better still his gre8 grand daughter.
Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by Nobody: 6:55pm On Jul 19, 2013
I concur.

It's beta 2 catch dem young,
Train dem,
N dey shall b urs 4 eva.
Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by Gamesmart: 6:55pm On Jul 19, 2013
kulyie: Well I am a liberalist,if she feels good about her sexual lifestyle,good for her.who am I to judge.come to think of it nigeria is a secular socierty.anyone can live his or her life the way it so pleases him

You will be amazed (if you re-check your school sociology textbooks) that secular societies actually do employ the use of rules/laws. It is different from an anarchist society.

Some of you need to start understanding the buzz words you hear and throw about so lamely.
Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by SugaryBelle(f): 6:57pm On Jul 19, 2013
[quote author=gboss4sure]Please Muslim's, Does Mohammed support underage marriage? He prefares widows but they have refused to emulate him...(..hides..)
Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by Burgeo: 7:01pm On Jul 19, 2013
This is just 2 show d mentality and IQ of shameless group of people lord Lugard joined us with as one nigeria. Thats why d region is still in abject poverty despite all their years in power.northerners ar parasite to our dear nation.

2 Likes

Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by COOLDUN: 7:04pm On Jul 19, 2013
Kamsy10: I wasnt expecting any Igbo man on that list so am not surprised
The fear of umunna(kinsmen) is the beginning of wisdom.lol

We are not one people and will never be no matter how long we pretend, from this kind of issues you would know that this country is false and fake.

Look at the names and their partners in shame, you would know that the amalgamation of Nigeria is the reason of the mess we are witnessing in this country today.

People who hide their wives and daughters in the house with a boldly written BA SHIGA on their doors would be chasing the under aged daughters of the people they purposely made poor, all in the name of marriage.

Any Igbo senator that supports such barbaric law should be buried alive in his/her home town. This is a country where some people are working while some are destroying it.

1 Like

Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by IykeNipoga(m): 7:05pm On Jul 19, 2013
I knew all d voters wl com 4rm North.
Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by manny4life(m): 7:06pm On Jul 19, 2013
Why you guys are here arguing and cursing them out, the worst has finally been approved

https://www.nairaland.com/1365510/senate-okays-marriage-girls-please embarassed embarassed
Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by DECOtech(m): 7:08pm On Jul 19, 2013
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by DECOtech(m): 7:10pm On Jul 19, 2013
omobadan:

After the second voting, Yerima tried to get up to thank the Senate Present and his colleagues in an attempt to claim victory, he was shouted down and booed.
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by akandea(m): 7:11pm On Jul 19, 2013
Kai! Small girls don suffer for this country in the hand of this heartless and wickedly selfish paedophiles. Expired old men who get their kicks from gropping and molesting innocent underage girls who should still be under the care of their parents or still learning arithmetic with friends under the guise of their right in religion. What of the rights of the unfortunate underage girls whose only offense is their being born girls. Sheer Callousness!!!!!
Those paedophiles from the North I understand their perverted urges but sen. Ayo and Ugbesia I are the ones I can fathom their reason, well Money I guess.

1 Like

Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by MightySparrow: 7:14pm On Jul 19, 2013
You can clearly see no amount of education can influence these aboki boko haram. They are blind to civilization and have their hearts seared and dangerously biased against reason. These are the best from north the mentors of their future
leaders who wil lead nigeria of tomorrow.
Dear Nigeeia, my heart bleeds for you.

1 Like

Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by Nobody: 7:25pm On Jul 19, 2013
Sen. Akinyelure Ayo (Ondo Central, Labour Party) needs to be recalled asap. The man just embarassed us by supporting rubbish.

Will any of these sinators allow their underage daughters marry so early even to men of their own age

Disgusting bloody-poking pedophiles!
Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by DrOBD(m): 7:25pm On Jul 19, 2013
If this is true, then shame on all particularly Sen Odion Ugbesia.... Pls stop playing politics with human life and dignity. This is a reflection of how heartless they are.
Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by catchcold1(m): 7:30pm On Jul 19, 2013
The Edo state senator on the list is a disgrace.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Unclad APC Supporters Sparks Anger(pics) / Atiku To Tinubu: I Challenge You To Sit For A 1-Hour Interview / Rotimi Victor Rhodes-vivour Foundation Endorses Sanwo-Olu For A Second Term

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.