Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,123 members, 7,887,247 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 04:14 AM

Leave Any Church That Speaks In Tongues(gibberish) - Religion (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Leave Any Church That Speaks In Tongues(gibberish) (52606 Views)

Nigerian Guy Replies Church That Asked God To Change Their Smell / The Baptism Of The Holy Spirit Is Not About Speaking Gibberish / 2 Year Old Christ Embassy Girl Speaks In Tongues And Preaches (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Leave Any Church That Speaks In Tongues(gibberish) by trolling(m): 12:06am On Jul 29, 2013
bishopjoe02:
urs is another different ball game, if we start this discussion, i doubt if i will sleep this nite. Pls which church and country are u. And were is your source about Emperor Leo changing the days of d week
Google it, it's readily available or Google who changed the Sabbath or can't you look on your phone to see that the Sabbath is the 7th day of the week
Re: Leave Any Church That Speaks In Tongues(gibberish) by Originalsly: 12:11am On Jul 29, 2013
frosbel:

No , because he preaches false doctrine .

Do you call the trash in this video Christianity ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyACodY0hek
Wow!...if wasn't for this video I would never believe people fall for this nonsense hmmm...rubbish. ...and a Nairalander defending this as spiritual . Why are his bodyguards/helpers not catching the spirit?
Re: Leave Any Church That Speaks In Tongues(gibberish) by bishopjoe02(m): 12:19am On Jul 29, 2013
benalvino:

still not convinced because you are just making excuse now to add the scriptures together... Now why paul is asking for interpretation of the shakanakanaka? the whole 1 corin 14 is not even talking about prayers but addressing or ministering to people in the church. SO why paul need interpretation? and why does he say it is better to prophesy than to speak in tongues?
let move to tongue 102.
See there is different between speaking in tongues and praying in tongues, the speaking most times require an interpreter, why prayering in tongues require no interpreter.
Prophescy is 4 unbeliever and believer, why tongues is for believer.
Someone dats speaking in tongues is delievery msgs from for d church and he require an interpreter to decode d msg cos its n tongue. Why d person dats prayering n tongues is talking to God, it require no interpretatn.
I have to sleep nw, i wil ans any of ur post 2moro
Re: Leave Any Church That Speaks In Tongues(gibberish) by benalvino(m): 12:24am On Jul 29, 2013
bishopjoe02:
let move to tongue 102.
See there is different between speaking in tongues and praying in tongues, the speaking most times require an interpreter, why prayering in tongues require no interpreter.
Prophescy is 4 unbeliever and believer, why tongues is for believer.
Someone dats speaking in tongues is delievery msgs from for d church and he require an interpreter to decode d msg cos its n tongue. Why d person dats prayering n tongues is talking to God, it require no interpretatn.
I have to sleep nw, i wil ans any of ur post 2moro
but the bible did not say it like this.. Prayers wasn't even involved. Example of making meaning out of words that says otherwise
Re: Leave Any Church That Speaks In Tongues(gibberish) by ozoemeka(m): 1:26am On Jul 29, 2013
Don't wad it off, if YOU have not experienced it don't wad it off, I won't call it "trash" it is "unfamiliar" to you does not make it trash. YOU are NOT authority on CHRISTIANITY, AND the bible DOES mention it being like DRUNK. Acts 2:15
Eph 5:18
frosbel:

Re: Leave Any Church That Speaks In Tongues(gibberish) by Mutee: 1:27am On Jul 29, 2013
farells: ˙pǝʇou do@

¡ɥoo ǝɯ ǝɹıdsuı ʎǝp buos sıp˙doʇ p @‾ɐbo‾snsǝظ ʎɹɹǝʇ uıʎɐןd

*ǝɔıoʌ sǝʞɐɹp uı*

˙ɔ2ɟ ǝɥʇ ǝɯoɔǝq oʇ ɯoʇʇoq ǝɥʇ ɯoɹɟ ǝɯ buıbuıɹq ɹoɟ pob ʞuɐɥʇ oʇ ʇuɐʍ ı 'ןןɐ ɟo ʇsɹıɟ

you come dey make me turn my monitor upside. smiley
Re: Leave Any Church That Speaks In Tongues(gibberish) by Fixed: 2:48am On Jul 29, 2013
@op, it appears you seek to interpret the word of God with human logic. I am not sure if your post is with the intention to edify the body of Christ or to prove a perceived point. Please study the background and context of scriptures before interpreting them. The guidance of the Holy Spirit is most important as His mandate is to guide us into all truth. John 16:13.
In as much as I Cor 14 portion of the scriptures is revealing, note that it was also written to correct some disorderliness in Corinth (read I Cor 14:40). Truly the Bible is complete for our edification and instruction. But we do not have the full details of what happened that Paul was correcting. The Corinthians did not have the new testament part of the scriptures as we have it today. That is why Paul always admonish his converts to continue in what they learned from him. I Tim 4:14. Their understanding then was sometimes limited to how they thought doctrines should be practised. But for us, we have the scriptures and the Holy Ghost I Tim 3:16. The Corinth church members were speaking to each other with unknown tongues same way they heard the disciples did in Acts 2:4 but no one understood or interpreted them. It was a complete chaos! Yes it came with the infilling of the Holy Ghost also.
Wait for this, the disciples did not speak with an unknown tongue in Acts 2:4 as mistaken by many! Read it again please. They spoke with other tongues - languages not understood by the speaker but naturally understood by the people around them. The same Holy Spirit gives utterance for other tongues and unknown tongues. Sir, the unknown tongue Paul referred to is not understood by any man including the speaker. I Cor 14:2 Sure unknown tongues can be interpreted to a known tongue if the Holy Spirit gives you the gift of interpretation of tongues as in I Cor 12:8-11. Indeed, Paul did not expect the church at Corinth to naturally interpret unknown tongues the same way they speak it 'so naturally', that is why he asked them to PRAY to be able to interpret it. I laughed when you said speaking in an unknowm tongue is not about prayer. What then is speaking unto God about in v2? For your information, you need not interpret the unknown tongue you prayed or even sang in! You only need to pray/sing in your natural language JUST for your understanding to be fruitful. I Cor 14:14-15. Please note that Praying in tongues also builds you up as clearly stated in Jude v20.
One good point your post brought out is the superiority of prophecy over unknown tongues and that is only the area of edifying all. This however is a gift that you need to covet as it does not flow naturally like the speaking in tongue which Paul instructed us not to forbid!
Paul spoke in tongues more than they all, his tongues were not all interpreted as they were communion between him and God.
If you ask me, the most inspiring in the entire chapter is the opening phrase "Follow after charity" or "Pursue love" New KJV. Mind you chapter 14 is just a continuation of 13. Love is the greatest gift of all.
I pray God gives us understanding.
My thumb is itching as I am using a Nokia phone.

1 Like

Re: Leave Any Church That Speaks In Tongues(gibberish) by AyodejiGB: 2:48am On Jul 29, 2013
I have followed the discussion and noticed that the thread really should focus on the abuse of any scriptural principle.
Let us go to the beginning.
Gen 1v1. talks about creation. But there is a civilization between Gen 1v1 and Gen 1v2. (Check Isaiah 14v12-15)
In verse 2, THE SPIRIT OF GOD moved upon the face of the waters.
Man walked with God until sin came and man couldn't walk with God.
Throughout the Old Testament, only the prophets, kings and high priests were filled with the Holy Spirit. Moses was so filled that he could transfer anointing to 70 people.
Remember, all through the times of the Prophets, the Kings mostly did evil in the sight of the Lord and Israel suffered for it. Daniel and his friends were consecrated and were distinguished just like Joseph. Remember that people said the spirit of God was with them
We have promises in the bible that God would give us gifts.
ISAIAH 28:11 -- FOR WITH STAMMERING LIPS AND ANOTHER TONGUE WILL HE SPEAK TO THIS PEOPLE.
Joel 2v28 And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions:
2:29 And also upon the servants and upon the handmaids in those days will I pour out my spirit.

Here we can see that the Holy Spirit was promised to all.
Zechariah 4:6 Then he answered and spake unto me, saying, This is the word of the LORD unto Zerubbabel, saying, Not by might, nor by power, but by my spirit, saith the LORD of hosts.

The Holy spirit was promised but the Mosaic law was in place and the High Priest went into the Holy of Holies once a year to make atonement for every male in Israel. Every male above 20yrs had to appear yearly for this. At Jesus’ death, it was recorded that the veil was torn from top to bottom which showed that we now have individual access to God.
Jesus was baptized and the Holy Spirit descended on him as prophesied: Isaiah 11v1-3 refers to Jesus
11:1 And there shall come forth a rod out of the stem of Jesse, and a Branch shall grow out of his roots:
11:2 And the spirit of the LORD shall rest upon him, the spirit of wisdom and understanding, the spirit of counsel and might, the spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the LORD;
11:3 And shall make him of quick understanding in the fear of the LORD: and he shall not judge after the sight of his eyes, neither reprove after the hearing of his ears:
He had to bring people out of the Law into grace. People had to be prepared for the dispensation of the Holy spirit which will reside within us, walk with us and work through us. The Jewish spiritual leaders had become more interested in ritualistic observance of the law and not walking with God.
Mark 16:15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.
16:16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
16:17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; THEY SHALL SPEAK WITH NEW TONGUES;
16:18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

Now it has been established that SPEAKING WITH NEW TONGUES IS FOR ALL THAT BELIEVE. It is a supernatural gift like all the rest.

Lets go to the events in Acts.
First the number of people at pentecost
1:12 Then returned they unto Jerusalem from the mount called Olivet, which is from Jerusalem a sabbath day's journey.
1:13 And when they were come in, they went up into an upper room, where abode both Peter, and James, and John, and Andrew, Philip, and Thomas, Bartholomew, and Matthew, James the son of Alphaeus, and Simon Zelotes, and Judas the brother of James.
1:14 These all continued with one accord in prayer and supplication, with the women, and Mary the mother of Jesus, and with his brethren.
1:15 And in those days Peter stood up in the midst of the disciples, and said, (THE NUMBER OF NAMES TOGETHER WERE ABOUT AN HUNDRED AND TWENTY,)
So it was not only the apostles that was baptised and spoke with other tongues at the first event.

Acts 2:4 And they were all filled with the HOLY GHOST, AND BEGAN TO SPEAK WITH OTHER TONGUES, AS THE SPIRIT GAVE THEM UTTERANCE.

This was where there was a gathering of people from different countries so the manifestation suited the occasion.
Lets check other events where people were filled with the Holy Spirit. Everytime it happened, people heard or noticed something that made people know that something happened. Acts 8v17,18;

Acts10:44 While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.
10:45 And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost.
10:46 FOR THEY HEARD THEM SPEAK WITH TONGUES, AND MAGNIFY GOD.

Acts 19:6 And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and THEY SPAKE WITH TONGUES, AND PROPHESIED.
19:7 And all the men were about twelve.

Now we have seen that every one that desired it got it.

The bone of contention is in the Epistle to the people at Corinth.
Paul was adressing a problem of doctrine with each epistle. Here the gifts of speaking in tongues was being abused like it is abused now in most churches.
1st Corinthians 12:1 Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I would not have you ignorant. (problem statement)..
12:4 Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit.
12:7 BUT THE MANIFESTATION OF THE SPIRIT IS GIVEN TO EVERY MAN TO PROFIT WITHAL[/b].
12:8 For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;
12:9 To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;
12:10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:
12:11 But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.
Lets check this scripture
12:28 AND GOD HATH SET SOME IN THE CHURCH, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles,
then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.
12:29 Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles?
12:30 Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?
12:31 But covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way.

This refers to the Church as a body or to ministry gifts, and not individuals hence the questions he asked.

14:4 He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the CHURCH.
14:5 I would that ye all spake with tongues but rather that ye prophesied: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the CHURCH may receive edifying. (The greek word for edify is oikodome which means the act of building or metaphorically, spiritual advancement.)

He is obviously refering to what was happening at the church in Corinth.
14:12 Even so ye, forasmuch as ye are zealous of spiritual gifts, seek that ye may excel to the edifying of the church.
14:18 I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all:
14:19 YET IN THE CHURCH I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue.

14:32 And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets.
14:39 Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and FORBID NOT to speak with tongues.

Paul was an evangelist, planting churches and helping to nurture them.

It is evident that anything can be abused and the people of corinth were abusing it. The were only speaking in tongues in the church which is what he was trying to correct. Here Paul said the spirit of the prophet is subject to the prophet.

It is best to meditate on the scriptures and see what each chapter or author is trying to teach than to condemn else we will throw the baby out with the bathwater.
If you are praying and magnifying God in your quiet time and you initiate the tongues, there is no scripture that forbids it, I have had it personally flow and I knew my spiritual and physical life was better. I don’t personally speak in tongues for fun unless I am praying and I know that it is not vain repetition.
Jesus said the words that I speak to you, they are spirit and they are life. And the Comforter will guide us to into all truth, teach us all things and bring all things to our remembrance, whatsoever I have said to you.
The scripture cannot be broken.
May God help our understanding
Re: Leave Any Church That Speaks In Tongues(gibberish) by biafranqueen: 2:50am On Jul 29, 2013
alexleo:

Speaking in tongues is real but not the katatatataatata mayyayayayaayaya sarararararara that you people speak in churches today. Here is the speaking in tongues that the apostles experienced when they received the Holy Ghost in acts 2:7-10 -

7 Utterly amazed, they asked: “Aren’t all these who are speaking Galileans? 8 Then how is it that each of us hears them in our native language? 9 Parthians, Medes and Elamites; residents of Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia,[b] 10 Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya near Cyrene; visitors from Rome

Notice that when they spoke in tongues they spoke in other people's languages and each of those people that came to Witness them marveled at how they, which are Galileans are speaking their various languages. Verse 9 and 10 listed the various native languages they spoke. I personally experienced this speaking tongues when I asked the Lord for the Holy Ghost in prayer. When the Holy spirit came on me I heard myself speaking another language. I was shocked and tried to revert to the language I was using to pray but I couldn't. Even uptill now, I experience this each time I go deep in prayer.
The one I see you people speak in your churches today I see it as man made and nonsensical. If you want to know what am saying, go to God in a serious prayer and earnestly ask for the Holy Spirit as experienced by the apostles. By the time you experience it you ll understand that this one you are calling speaking tongues is nonsense. You people even hold speaking in tongue classes in your churches. How can this be? Where in the bible were people taught to speak in tongues? And this is why all of you speak almost the same takakakakakakaka mayayayayayay nonsense.
hahahahahaha grin
Re: Leave Any Church That Speaks In Tongues(gibberish) by Fixed: 3:10am On Jul 29, 2013
Ozo-Emeka you are right sir. If I speak in an unknown tongue and any or both of us understand, it is no longer an unknown tongue! Except we are blessed with the gift of the interpretation of tongues. Believers do not be confused. Man may be hearing GIBERRISH-ES, howbeit we speak MYSTERIES! That's what God says and I stand on it.

1 Like

Re: Leave Any Church That Speaks In Tongues(gibberish) by owobaba201: 3:13am On Jul 29, 2013
@OP,TANKS 4TELIN DEM D TRUTH.DOSE WU WIL HEAR WIL HEAR &DOS WU WONT HEAR WONT.I ONLY DISAGREE WIT D FACT DAT REVELATION HAS STOPD.D AUTHORITY GOD GAVE D APOSTLES IS STIL ON EARTH &GOD STIL SPEKS TO MAN.SPEAKIN IN TONGUE MINS'LANGUAGES'.I BLIEV D BIBLE 2B GODS WOD SO FAR IT IS CORECTLY TRANSLATED.
Re: Leave Any Church That Speaks In Tongues(gibberish) by Nobody: 3:21am On Jul 29, 2013
poster,let everyone do according to the measure of grace given to him. why call something false simply because you do not believe it...maybe the grace is not there yet for you (or its possible you are rejecting it). Not all men are teachers,not all are apostles,nor prophet,nor evangelist,nor pastors. The manner God chooses to express HIS will through individual varies. Besides there are tonguues of men and tongues of angels(1corinth13). Gods abilities are infinite,the deeper your understanding of Gods word the greater the abilities that manifest. You have spoken according to your level of understanding which is certainly not absolute.
Re: Leave Any Church That Speaks In Tongues(gibberish) by barns4k(m): 4:36am On Jul 29, 2013
sorry but i tink we nairalanders need 2 speak in tongues to deliver somebody. Where the heaven is the format of speakin in tongues specified in d bible? Cos all i know is even on the day of pentecost, the people spoke in other tongues even as THE HOLY SPIRIT GAVE THEM ULTERANCES!.
Re: Leave Any Church That Speaks In Tongues(gibberish) by Validated: 5:10am On Jul 29, 2013
Sincerely, except you are in the Spirit, you CANNOT understand the things of the Spirit! Bros and Sis, pray for the endowment of the Spirit and would be caught in the Spirit, then you would understand that speaking in tongues is not 'gibbersish' and 'jabbersih' as you stated.
Re: Leave Any Church That Speaks In Tongues(gibberish) by Beey(f): 5:31am On Jul 29, 2013
frosbel:

I do believe in speaking in tongues but this right here is man-made.These are just a bunch of actors invoking God's name in their acting business.These are a bunch of fishermen looking to see which fish gets caught in their net.May God deliver us from false teachers.The Bible says in the book of acts that the Bereans were more noble because even after Paul had preached to them,they went & searched the Scriptures for themselves. That's an essential quality in faith growth that's lacking in churches today.Believers who ought to be eating solid food of the word,are still on milk.Read your Bibles and you will not be tossed about by every wind of doctrine!!!
Re: Leave Any Church That Speaks In Tongues(gibberish) by expensive007(m): 5:42am On Jul 29, 2013
The bible says: when the holy spirit came upon them, they began to speak in different ton￱gues.
Re: Leave Any Church That Speaks In Tongues(gibberish) by trolling(m): 6:06am On Jul 29, 2013
expensive007: The bible says: when the holy spirit came upon them, they began to speak in different ton￱gues.
so u no dey hear word say tongues are languages now let me school you, according to the law(Leveticus 23) we the men of Israel observe and keep Passover,Unleavened Bread,First fruits,Feast of weeks called Pentecost which is fifty days from the Feast of First fruits,we count the omer from First Fruits for seven weeks and the the day after seventh week is the fiftieth day and this is the day we celebrate Pente(50)cost, now back to the topic the men of Israel who lived in various parts of the world came to Yerusalem to observe Feast of weeks as commanded to observed perpetually by our Creator because He enjoined this feast unto us because He also observes it with His Angels,now some of our men who had been brought up in different parts of the world didnt grow up speaking Hebrew,now this is where the Holy Spirit comes in to edify our brothers by making each and every one of them to hear their languages in their own tongues thru the Holy Spirit so as to be edified.....i could go and on but you Christians just dont have a clue what you are worshiping if you knew you would stone your pastors
Re: Leave Any Church That Speaks In Tongues(gibberish) by bishopjoe02(m): 7:00am On Jul 29, 2013
benalvino:
but the bible did not say it like this.. Prayers wasn't even involved. Example of making meaning out of words that says otherwise
its all there in the bible.
The Apostles in the book of act doing pentecost were speaking in tongues, dats why all the people present could hear them in their own language cos the Holy spirit was the interpreter then.
Why Roman 8:26 talks about praying in tongues: the spirit make intercession (pray) with groaning...
Re: Leave Any Church That Speaks In Tongues(gibberish) by Nobody: 7:46am On Jul 29, 2013
[color=#990000][/color] this really calls for concern cos now i heard in some churches they now teach people speaken in tongues as if their teaching a language. This is endtime, false prophets everywhere, the bible recorded that many false prophets and teachers shall arise and deceive many, and say 'I am Christ', but be careful so you be not carried away, watch ur life! Be sure you living right before God!

1 Like

Re: Leave Any Church That Speaks In Tongues(gibberish) by benalvino(m): 8:09am On Jul 29, 2013
Ayodeji_GB: I have followed the discussion and noticed that the thread really should focus on the abuse of any scriptural principle.
Let us go to the beginning.
Gen 1v1. talks about creation. But there is a civilization between Gen 1v1 and Gen 1v2. (Check Isaiah 14v12-15)
In verse 2, THE SPIRIT OF GOD moved upon the face of the waters.
Man walked with God until sin came and man couldn't walk with God.
Throughout the Old Testament, only the prophets, kings and high priests were filled with the Holy Spirit. Moses was so filled that he could transfer anointing to 70 people.
Remember, all through the times of the Prophets, the Kings mostly did evil in the sight of the Lord and Israel suffered for it. Daniel and his friends were consecrated and were distinguished just like Joseph. Remember that people said the spirit of God was with them
We have promises in the bible that God would give us gifts.
ISAIAH 28:11 -- FOR WITH STAMMERING LIPS AND ANOTHER TONGUE WILL HE SPEAK TO THIS PEOPLE.
Joel 2v28 And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions:
2:29 And also upon the servants and upon the handmaids in those days will I pour out my spirit.

Here we can see that the Holy Spirit was promised to all.
Zechariah 4:6 Then he answered and spake unto me, saying, This is the word of the LORD unto Zerubbabel, saying, Not by might, nor by power, but by my spirit, saith the LORD of hosts.

The Holy spirit was promised but the Mosaic law was in place and the High Priest went into the Holy of Holies once a year to make atonement for every male in Israel. Every male above 20yrs had to appear yearly for this. At Jesus’ death, it was recorded that the veil was torn from top to bottom which showed that we now have individual access to God.
Jesus was baptized and the Holy Spirit descended on him as prophesied: Isaiah 11v1-3 refers to Jesus
11:1 And there shall come forth a rod out of the stem of Jesse, and a Branch shall grow out of his roots:
11:2 And the spirit of the LORD shall rest upon him, the spirit of wisdom and understanding, the spirit of counsel and might, the spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the LORD;
11:3 And shall make him of quick understanding in the fear of the LORD: and he shall not judge after the sight of his eyes, neither reprove after the hearing of his ears:
He had to bring people out of the Law into grace. People had to be prepared for the dispensation of the Holy spirit which will reside within us, walk with us and work through us. The Jewish spiritual leaders had become more interested in ritualistic observance of the law and not walking with God.
Mark 16:15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.
16:16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
16:17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; THEY SHALL SPEAK WITH NEW TONGUES;
16:18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

Now it has been established that SPEAKING WITH NEW TONGUES IS FOR ALL THAT BELIEVE. It is a supernatural gift like all the rest.

Lets go to the events in Acts.
First the number of people at pentecost
1:12 Then returned they unto Jerusalem from the mount called Olivet, which is from Jerusalem a sabbath day's journey.
1:13 And when they were come in, they went up into an upper room, where abode both Peter, and James, and John, and Andrew, Philip, and Thomas, Bartholomew, and Matthew, James the son of Alphaeus, and Simon Zelotes, and Judas the brother of James.
1:14 These all continued with one accord in prayer and supplication, with the women, and Mary the mother of Jesus, and with his brethren.
1:15 And in those days Peter stood up in the midst of the disciples, and said, (THE NUMBER OF NAMES TOGETHER WERE ABOUT AN HUNDRED AND TWENTY,)
So it was not only the apostles that was baptised and spoke with other tongues at the first event.

Acts 2:4 And they were all filled with the HOLY GHOST, AND BEGAN TO SPEAK WITH OTHER TONGUES, AS THE SPIRIT GAVE THEM UTTERANCE.

This was where there was a gathering of people from different countries so the manifestation suited the occasion.
Lets check other events where people were filled with the Holy Spirit. Everytime it happened, people heard or noticed something that made people know that something happened. Acts 8v17,18;

Acts10:44 While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.
10:45 And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost.
10:46 FOR THEY HEARD THEM SPEAK WITH TONGUES, AND MAGNIFY GOD.

Acts 19:6 And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and THEY SPAKE WITH TONGUES, AND PROPHESIED.
19:7 And all the men were about twelve.

Now we have seen that every one that desired it got it.

The bone of contention is in the Epistle to the people at Corinth.
Paul was adressing a problem of doctrine with each epistle. Here the gifts of speaking in tongues was being abused like it is abused now in most churches.
1st Corinthians 12:1 Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I would not have you ignorant. (problem statement)..
12:4 Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit.
12:7 BUT THE MANIFESTATION OF THE SPIRIT IS GIVEN TO EVERY MAN TO PROFIT WITHAL[/b].
12:8 For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;
12:9 To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;
12:10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:
12:11 But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.
Lets check this scripture
12:28 AND GOD HATH SET SOME IN THE CHURCH, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles,
then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.
12:29 Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles?
12:30 Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?
12:31 But covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way.

This refers to the Church as a body or to ministry gifts, and not individuals hence the questions he asked.

14:4 He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the CHURCH.
14:5 I would that ye all spake with tongues but rather that ye prophesied: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the CHURCH may receive edifying. (The greek word for edify is oikodome which means the act of building or metaphorically, spiritual advancement.)

He is obviously refering to what was happening at the church in Corinth.
14:12 Even so ye, forasmuch as ye are zealous of spiritual gifts, seek that ye may excel to the edifying of the church.
14:18 I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all:
14:19 YET IN THE CHURCH I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue.

14:32 And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets.
14:39 Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and FORBID NOT to speak with tongues.

Paul was an evangelist, planting churches and helping to nurture them.

It is evident that anything can be abused and the people of corinth were abusing it. The were only speaking in tongues in the church which is what he was trying to correct. Here Paul said the spirit of the prophet is subject to the prophet.

It is best to meditate on the scriptures and see what each chapter or author is trying to teach than to condemn else we will throw the baby out with the bathwater.
If you are praying and magnifying God in your quiet time and you initiate the tongues, there is no scripture that forbids it, I have had it personally flow and I knew my spiritual and physical life was better. I don’t personally speak in tongues for fun unless I am praying and I know that it is not vain repetition.
Jesus said the words that I speak to you, they are spirit and they are life. And the Comforter will guide us to into all truth, teach us all things and bring all things to our remembrance, whatsoever I have said to you.
The scripture cannot be broken.
May God help our understanding

But there is nothing concerning praying in tongues here... Not a single talk about praying in tongues. Your explanation is nice but it doesn't address the matter... Tongues is used to address people in their own language
Re: Leave Any Church That Speaks In Tongues(gibberish) by benalvino(m): 8:16am On Jul 29, 2013
ehrays: [color=#990000][/color] this really calls for concern cos now i heard in some churches they now teach people speaken in tongues as if their teaching a language. This is endtime, false prophets everywhere, the bible recorded that many false prophets and teachers shall arise and deceive many, and say 'I am Christ', but be careful so you be not carried away, watch ur life! Be sure you living right before God!

they say its a gift now they teach people the gift of God? lmao.
Re: Leave Any Church That Speaks In Tongues(gibberish) by benalvino(m): 8:18am On Jul 29, 2013
bishopjoe02:
its all there in the bible.
The Apostles in the book of act doing pentecost were speaking in tongues, dats why all the people present could hear them in their own language cos the Holy spirit was the interpreter then.
Why Roman 8:26 talks about praying in tongues: the spirit make intercession (pray) with groaning...

you said the people can hear them abi? It means the tongue they where speaking is of the people... not some tanakanaka then the holy spirit was interpreting it.

and bible says tongue can be uttered... utter the tongues... dont try to utter groaning when it made it clear that groaning cannot be uttered...

you just wrestling with the scriptures... how can you say when you utter graoning it becomes speaking in tongues? remember groaning cannot be uttered
Re: Leave Any Church That Speaks In Tongues(gibberish) by Nobody: 8:19am On Jul 29, 2013
benalvino:

they say its a gift now they teach people the gift of God? lmao.

At least we agree on this one, the madness called tongue speaking is just one of the numerous false by-products of the WOF ( Word of Faith ) or should we say WOLF ( Word of Faith Lie ) movement.
Re: Leave Any Church That Speaks In Tongues(gibberish) by benalvino(m): 8:22am On Jul 29, 2013
owobaba201: @OP,TANKS 4TELIN DEM D TRUTH.DOSE WU WIL HEAR WIL HEAR &DOS WU WONT HEAR WONT.I ONLY DISAGREE WIT D FACT DAT REVELATION HAS STOPD.D AUTHORITY GOD GAVE D APOSTLES IS STIL ON EARTH &GOD STIL SPEKS TO MAN.SPEAKIN IN TONGUE MINS'LANGUAGES'.I BLIEV D BIBLE 2B GODS WOD SO FAR IT IS CORECTLY TRANSLATED.

you know there was a time God talk to his prophets and they here a Voice from heaven... just like it happened when Jesus was baptized. that is what i mean... now the spirit comes in you and direct you.
Re: Leave Any Church That Speaks In Tongues(gibberish) by benalvino(m): 8:24am On Jul 29, 2013
frosbel:

At least we agree on this one, the madness called tongue speaking is just one of the numerous false by-products of the WOF ( Word of Faith ) or should we say WOLF ( Word of Faith Lie ) movement.

hahaha... yeah we agree on this... lol for the first time i was put in your category along with ijawkid and truthislight as false prophets.. hahahaahaha
Re: Leave Any Church That Speaks In Tongues(gibberish) by abenabisa: 8:34am On Jul 29, 2013
MercyAigbe New Photoshoot: Shows off her svelte figure!
See more the sexy pics omg » http://www.iafrica.tv/?p=20995
Re: Leave Any Church That Speaks In Tongues(gibberish) by Tisong(m): 9:06am On Jul 29, 2013
Baseless n blasphemy
Re: Leave Any Church That Speaks In Tongues(gibberish) by Nobody: 9:20am On Jul 29, 2013
@ben

grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Leave Any Church That Speaks In Tongues(gibberish) by benalvino(m): 9:25am On Jul 29, 2013
Tisong: Baseless n blasphemy

lol... how so?
Re: Leave Any Church That Speaks In Tongues(gibberish) by benalvino(m): 9:27am On Jul 29, 2013
hisblud: @ben

grin grin grin grin grin

cheesy cheesy
Re: Leave Any Church That Speaks In Tongues(gibberish) by bishopjoe02(m): 9:34am On Jul 29, 2013
benalvino:

you said the people can hear them abi? It means the tongue they where speaking is of the people
... not some tanakanaka then the holy spirit was interpreting it.

and bible says tongue can be uttered... utter the tongues... dont try to utter groaning when it made it clear that groaning cannot be uttered...

you just wrestling with the scriptures... how can you say when you utter graoning it becomes speaking in tongues? remember groaning cannot be uttered

you said the people can hear them abi? It means the tongue they where speaking is of the people

imagine me speaking in a public and everybody present there can understand my words (hausa, igbo, yoruba, fulani) do u think such words will be in english....definitely no..i must have be speaking some spiritual words and such spirit is now bring the words to all men understanding. the apostles were speaking a heaven language, that's why everyone present can understand them in their own mother tongues...they weren't speaking Hebrew..read that verse again

and bible says tongue can be uttered... utter the tongues... don't try to utter groaning when it made it clear that groaning cannot be uttered...
yes tongues can be uttered as stated in the bible, but the same bible in Roman 8:26 tells us how the words will be (groaning). (in the spirit we speaketh misteries)

how can you say when you utter graoning it becomes speaking in tongues? remember groaning cannot be uttered

i have already proven this to u..using a deaf and dumb man as an example...u can also get more understanding from a stammerer, when he/she is stammering we all know the sound that normally comes out (groaning)

seeing there is no further issue to discuss, i move for the adjournment of this thread....seconded by?

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

Femi Falana: "Pastor Adeboye Creating Business Centers, Not Churches" [video] / Pope Francis Canonizes Jacinta And Francisco, Two Child Saints, Makes History / Daddy Freeze Reacts As Reverend Obofour Flaunts His Exotic Cars And Mansion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 111
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.