Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,738 members, 7,875,853 topics. Date: Saturday, 29 June 2024 at 11:21 PM

Leave Any Church That Speaks In Tongues(gibberish) - Religion (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Leave Any Church That Speaks In Tongues(gibberish) (52556 Views)

Nigerian Guy Replies Church That Asked God To Change Their Smell / The Baptism Of The Holy Spirit Is Not About Speaking Gibberish / 2 Year Old Christ Embassy Girl Speaks In Tongues And Preaches (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Leave Any Church That Speaks In Tongues(gibberish) by vikkywaju(m): 9:43am On Jul 29, 2013
gibberish, your write up is dam rubbish. you are just misquoting the bible. speaking in tongues is a known language (act 2) and is still happening because the promise is for us. is just that churches are not having the real holy spirit. if u wnt to know d truth and hear the truth come 2 apostolic faith.
Re: Leave Any Church That Speaks In Tongues(gibberish) by benalvino(m): 9:43am On Jul 29, 2013
bishopjoe02:

you said the people can hear them abi? It means the tongue they where speaking is of the people

imagine me speaking in a public and everybody present there can understand my words (hausa, igbo, yoruba, fulani) do u think such words will be in english....definitely no..i must have be speaking some spiritual words and such spirit is now bring the words to all men understanding. the apostles were speaking a heaven language, that's why everyone present can understand them in their own mother tongues...they weren't speaking Hebrew..read that verse again

and bible says tongue can be uttered... utter the tongues... don't try to utter groaning when it made it clear that groaning cannot be uttered...
yes tongues can be uttered as stated in the bible, but the same bible in Roman 8:26 tells us how the words will be (groaning). (in the spirit we speaketh misteries)

how can you say when you utter graoning it becomes speaking in tongues? remember groaning cannot be uttered

i have already proven this to u..using a deaf and dumb man as an example...u can also get more understanding from a stammerer, when he/she is stammering we all know the sound that normally comes out (groaning)

seeing there is no further issue to discuss, i move for the adjournment of this thread....seconded by?

Why is it when someone speak shakanananaka i dont hear it in English then? whats the point of shakanajanaka when everyone there hears English very well?

your points still not making sense...
the apostle go to a city and speak the language of that City which they did not learn... the bible did not say they are speaking spiritual orobokibobo asawana gbolo pampamgolo to the people and they are hearing it in their language... if so why dont we hear it in English when pastors do such in church?
Re: Leave Any Church That Speaks In Tongues(gibberish) by Nobody: 9:43am On Jul 29, 2013
farells: ˙pǝʇou do@

¡ɥoo ǝɯ ǝɹıdsuı ʎǝp buos sıp˙doʇ p @‾ɐbo‾snsǝظ ʎɹɹǝʇ uıʎɐןd

*ǝɔıoʌ sǝʞɐɹp uı*

˙ɔ2ɟ ǝɥʇ ǝɯoɔǝq oʇ ɯoʇʇoq ǝɥʇ ɯoɹɟ ǝɯ buıbuıɹq ɹoɟ pob ʞuɐɥʇ oʇ ʇuɐʍ ı 'ןןɐ ɟo ʇsɹıɟ
Que paso? What what what? Yo no compare do amigo?? Dime! Dime! dies. . . .due to lack of understanding
Re: Leave Any Church That Speaks In Tongues(gibberish) by benalvino(m): 9:45am On Jul 29, 2013
vikkywaju: gibberish, your write up is dam rubbish. you are just misquoting the bible. speaking in tongues is a known language (act 2) and is still happening because the promise is for us. is just that churches are not having the real holy spirit. if u wnt to know d truth and hear the truth come 2 apostolic faith.

Speaking in tongues mean speaking in languages on the earth... the bible stated it... Language under the heavens... so speaking in tongues should either be a nigerian speaking japanese or welsh or chinese or swahilli...
Re: Leave Any Church That Speaks In Tongues(gibberish) by jajad: 9:46am On Jul 29, 2013
MEILYN: Pastor Meilyn doesnt know how to speak Latin, have been in Nigeria all my life, and have not heard Latin before, i dont even know a language like Latin exist.
Am A Pastor remember? I went to a country where they speak Latin to preach the Word of God, i got my self an interpreter, if i speak English the interpreter will interpret in Latin, moments later i started speaking Latin,speaking it as if have been speaking it all my life.

Dats an example of speaking in tongues,The Holy Spirit descended on me dat was why i was able to speak Latin .....

Kakamakasalaba gbogbotigbo ogogoro masata la ma ka is not speaking in tongues, Some pastors even use that to consult their demonic powers...

Watch This Movie 40 Days In The Wilderness....U will know what am talking about

Pastor MEILYN is a liar. What was the name of this Latin-speaking country? You don't remember? No video or audio of the event? Did this event happen in the last 100 years?
Re: Leave Any Church That Speaks In Tongues(gibberish) by AyodejiGB: 10:08am On Jul 29, 2013
In response to praying in tongues
1st Corinthians 14:13 Wherefore let him that speaketh in an unknown tongue pray that he may interpret.
14:14 For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.
14:15 What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.

Remember that all these concern the church i.e born again Christians and not the man on the street.
God is a spirit and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth. When we become born again, it is our spirit man that is born again and that is what the Holy Spirit communicates with. Our minds and our flesh must be subdued by us because we have authority over it. Demonic oppression has to do with the spirit man.

Ephesians 4:23 And be renewed in the spirit of your mind;
4:24 And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.

Romans 8:9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.
8:16 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:
8:26 Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.
8:27 And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God.

Please read and meditate on Romans chapter 8, 1st Corinthians Chapters 12, 13 and 14.
It is explicit enough to resolve all these issues.
I always check whatever anybody tells me and prove any doctrine. There has to be at least 3 scriptural basis for anything. I always read the whole chapter or at least 3 verses before and after any verse so it is not taken out of context.
We remember scriptures that we have heard but forget the fact that it may have been misquoted and that the memory is fallible.
Remember Genesis 3 and the additions to Gods commandment that made Eve fall.
Please check and recheck. Even Jesus said some will call him and say that they performed miracles in his name and they did not make heaven
With the mouth confession is made unto salvation and out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaketh which means everyone has to find his own path.
There is no need for confusion. We may not agree with human beings (imperfect vessels) regarding their imperfections and the method of conveying their message but the manuscript of life - BIBLE - is the solution.
Re: Leave Any Church That Speaks In Tongues(gibberish) by benalvino(m): 10:13am On Jul 29, 2013
1 Corinthians 14:7-10
7 Even in the case of lifeless things that make sounds, such as the pipe or harp, how will anyone know what tune is being played unless there is a distinction in the notes? 8 Again, if the trumpet does not sound a clear call, who will get ready for battle? 9 So it is with you. Unless you speak intelligible words with your tongue, how will anyone know what you are saying? You will just be speaking into the air. 10 Undoubtedly there are all sorts of languages in the world, yet none of them is without meaning.

Speaking in tongues is never gibberish it is actual language people can understand as long as you are a native of that language.... bible said it all
Re: Leave Any Church That Speaks In Tongues(gibberish) by bishopjoe02(m): 10:25am On Jul 29, 2013
benalvino:

Why is it when someone speak shakanananaka i dont hear it in English then? whats the point of shakanajanaka when everyone there hears English very well?

the apostle go to a city and speak the language of that City which they did not learn... the bible did not say they are speaking spiritual orobokibobo asawana gbolo pampamgolo to the people and they are hearing it in their language... if so why dont we hear it in English when pastors do such in church?

Acts 2

New International Version (NIV)
The Holy Spirit Comes at Pentecost

2 When the day of Pentecost came, they were all together in one place. 2 Suddenly a sound like the blowing of a violent wind came from heaven and filled the whole house where they were sitting. 3 They saw what seemed to be tongues of fire that separated and came to rest on each of them. 4 All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues[a] as the Spirit enabled them.

5 Now there were staying in Jerusalem God-fearing Jews from every nation under heaven. 6 When they heard this sound, a crowd came together in bewilderment, because each one heard their own language being spoken. 7 Utterly amazed, they asked: “Aren’t all these who are speaking Galileans? 8 Then how is it that each of us hears them in our native language? 9 Parthians, Medes and Elamites; residents of Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia, 10 Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya near Cyrene; visitors from Rome

can u see this, all the people heard was just sound, not hebrew, greek, sound and automatically this sound were now understand in their own mother tongue.

[b]Why is it when someone speak shakanananaka i dont hear it in English then? whats the point of shakanajanaka when everyone there hears English very well?

this set of person are prayering in tongues as explain in roman 8:26,

while the apostles in act 2 were speaking in tongues...there is a big different...if u ever come across someone speaking in tongues and the spirit give u understanding, then u we have a propare undersatnding of what i'm saying.
Re: Leave Any Church That Speaks In Tongues(gibberish) by bishopjoe02(m): 10:25am On Jul 29, 2013
benalvino:

Acts 2

New International Version (NIV)
The Holy Spirit Comes at Pentecost

2 When the day of Pentecost came, they were all together in one place. 2 Suddenly a sound like the blowing of a violent wind came from heaven and filled the whole house where they were sitting. 3 They saw what seemed to be tongues of fire that separated and came to rest on each of them. 4 All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues[a] as the Spirit enabled them.

5 Now there were staying in Jerusalem God-fearing Jews from every nation under heaven. 6 When they heard this sound, a crowd came together in bewilderment, because each one heard their own language being spoken. 7 Utterly amazed, they asked: “Aren’t all these who are speaking Galileans? 8 Then how is it that each of us hears them in our native language? 9 Parthians, Medes and Elamites; residents of Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia, 10 Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya near Cyrene; visitors from Rome

can u see this, all the people heard was just sound, not hebrew, greek, sound and automatically this sound were now understand in their own mother tongue.

[b]Why is it when someone speak shakanananaka i dont hear it in English then? whats the point of shakanajanaka when everyone there hears English very well?

this set of person are prayering in tongues as explain in roman 8:26,

while the apostles in act 2 were speaking in tongues...there is a big different...if u ever come across someone speaking in tongues and the spirit give u understanding, then u we have a propare undersatnding of what i'm saying.
Re: Leave Any Church That Speaks In Tongues(gibberish) by benalvino(m): 10:28am On Jul 29, 2013
Ayodeji_GB: In response to praying in tongues
1st Corinthians 14:13 Wherefore let him that speaketh in an unknown tongue pray that he may interpret.
14:14 For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.
14:15 What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.

Remember that all these concern the church i.e born again Christians and not the man on the street.
God is a spirit and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth. When we become born again, it is our spirit man that is born again and that is what the Holy Spirit communicates with. Our minds and our flesh must be subdued by us because we have authority over it. Demonic oppression has to do with the spirit man.

Ephesians 4:23 And be renewed in the spirit of your mind;
4:24 And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.

Romans 8:9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.
8:16 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:
8:26 Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.
8:27 And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God.

Please read and meditate on Romans chapter 8, 1st Corinthians Chapters 12, 13 and 14.
It is explicit enough to resolve all these issues.
I always check whatever anybody tells me and prove any doctrine. There has to be at least 3 scriptural basis for anything. I always read the whole chapter or at least 3 verses before and after any verse so it is not taken out of context.
We remember scriptures that we have heard but forget the fact that it may have been misquoted and that the memory is fallible.
Remember Genesis 3 and the additions to Gods commandment that made Eve fall.
Please check and recheck. Even Jesus said some will call him and say that they performed miracles in his name and they did not make heaven
With the mouth confession is made unto salvation and out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaketh which means everyone has to find his own path.
There is no need for confusion. We may not agree with human beings (imperfect vessels) regarding their imperfections and the method of conveying their message but the manuscript of life - BIBLE - is the solution.

Romans 8:26 teaches us, “In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express.” Two key points make it highly unlikely that Romans 8:26 is referring to tongues as a prayer language. First, Romans 8:26 states that it is the Spirit who “groans,” not believers. Second, Romans 8:26 states that the “groans” of the Spirit “cannot be expressed.” The very essence of speaking in tongues is uttering words.

That leaves us with 1 Corinthians 14:4-17 and verse 14 especially: “For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my mind is unfruitful.” First Corinthians 14:14 distinctly mentions “praying in tongues.” What does this mean? First, studying the context is immensely valuable. First Corinthians chapter 14 is primarily a comparison/contrast of the gift of speaking in tongues and the gift of prophecy. Verses 2-5 make it clear that Paul views prophecy as a gift superior to tongues. At the same time, Paul exclaims the value of tongues and declares that he is glad that he speaks in tongues more than anyone (verse 18)

Acts chapter 2 describes the first occurrence of the gift of tongues. On the day of Pentecost, the apostles spoke in tongues. Acts chapter 2 makes it clear that the apostles were speaking in a human language (Acts 2:6:8}. The word translated “tongues” in both Acts chapter 2 and 1 Corinthians chapter 14 is glossa which means “language.” It is the word from which we get our modern English word “glossary.” Speaking in tongues was the ability to speak in a language the speaker does not know, in order to communicate the gospel to someone who does speak that language. In the multicultural area of Corinth, it seems that the gift of tongues was especially valuable and prominent. The Corinthians believers were able to better communicate the gospel and God’s Word as a result of the gift of tongues. However, Paul made it abundantly clear that even in this usage of tongues, it was to be interpreted or “translated” (1 Corinthians 14:13, 27). A Corinthian believer would speak in tongues, proclaiming God’s truth to someone who spoke that language, and then that believer, or another believer in the church, was to interpret what was spoken so that the entire assembly could understand what was said.

What, then, is praying in tongues, and how is it different than speaking in tongues? First Corinthians 14:13-17 indicates that praying in tongues is also to be interpreted. As a result, it seems that praying in tongues was offering a prayer to God. This prayer would minister to someone who spoke that language, but would also need to be interpreted so that the entire body could be edified.

This interpretation does not agree with those who view praying in tongues as a prayer language. This alternate understanding can be summarized as follows: praying in tongues is a personal prayer language between a believer and God (1 Corinthians 13:1) that a believer uses to edify himself (1 Corinthians 14:4). This interpretation is unbiblical for the following reasons: 1) How could praying in tongues be a private prayer language if it is to be interpreted (1 Corinthians 14:13-17)? 2) How could praying in tongues be for self-edification when Scripture says that the spiritual gifts are for the edification of the church, not the self (1 Corinthians 12:7). 3) How can praying in tongues be a private prayer language if the gift of tongues is a “sign to unbelievers” (1 Corinthians 14:22)? 4) The Bible makes it clear that not everyone possesses the gift of tongues (1 Corinthians 12:11, 28-30). How could tongues be a gift for self-edification if not every believer can possess it? Do we not all need to be edified?
Re: Leave Any Church That Speaks In Tongues(gibberish) by AyodejiGB: 10:34am On Jul 29, 2013
I do not believe in any church doctrine that doesn't have a scriptural basis and I am searching and praying for more knowledge of God in his word. The entrance of Gods word giveth life and gives understanding to the simple.
Joshua 1v8.
We should always read Gods word and not interpret it based on doctrine.
Read 1st Timothy chapter 4,
4:13 Till I come, give attendance to reading, to exhortation, to doctrine.
4:14 Neglect not the gift that is in thee, which was given thee by prophecy, with the laying on of the hands of the presbytery.
4:15 Meditate upon these things; give thyself wholly to them; that thy profiting may appear to all.
4:16 Take heed unto thyself, and unto the doctrine; continue in them: for in doing this thou shalt both save thyself, and them that hear thee.

1st Thessalonians 5
5:16 Rejoice evermore.
5:17 Pray without ceasing.
5:18 In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.
5:19 Quench not the Spirit.
5:20 Despise not prophesyings.
5:21 Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.
5:22 Abstain from all appearance of evil.
5:23 And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and
pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Tongues are the first sign that a person has been born again. It is one of the 9 gifts of the spirit. There are others.
Let us covet the most important gifts and fight the good fight of faith.

Ephesians 6:10 Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might.
6:11 Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.
6:12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
6:13 Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.
6:14 Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;
6:15 And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace;
6:16 Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.
6:17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:
6:18 Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;

There are a lot of scriptural references that back any sound doctrine, human beings are the ones at fault if they mis-interpret or abuse anything of Gods laws or rules.
Re: Leave Any Church That Speaks In Tongues(gibberish) by AyodejiGB: 10:42am On Jul 29, 2013
Another thing. What is a Christian's prayer? It is simply speaking to God and using the authority of the name of Jesus, backing it up with relevant scriptures. Jesus withstood the devil by saying "it is written". Other people pray to other Gods but a Christian prays (u have to open your mouth and make a sound -- with the mouth confession is made unto salvation) to God and uses the authority of the name of Jesus as a seal.
There also has to be an understanding of the meaning of body, spirit and soul. It would clear a lot of issues
Re: Leave Any Church That Speaks In Tongues(gibberish) by Saecula: 10:42am On Jul 29, 2013
idnoble135:
some one liked my post and thats why am here again.
You still wont get me to argue. You earlier stated that you dont believe in speaking in tongues and now some what agree with alexeo. Are you confused?
My advice to you is, get a copy of all kenneth Haggin's books on prayer and the Holy Spirit. If that does not help you, contact me again, i have myriad of books i can recommend for you that contains abundant biblical evidences.
But me? I wont argue with you. Thank you!
Why will argue when you have nothing worthwhile to buttress your points. Tosh.
Re: Leave Any Church That Speaks In Tongues(gibberish) by Nobody: 10:42am On Jul 29, 2013
*dhtml:

Que paso? What what what? Yo no compare do amigo?? Dime! Dime! dies. . . .due to lack of understanding

¡¡ǝɥǝɥǝɥ

˙pǝddıɹʇ os ɯ,ı 'ןoן
Re: Leave Any Church That Speaks In Tongues(gibberish) by gradeA(m): 10:46am On Jul 29, 2013
benalvino:
Why will God want you to speak santayakana when he understand English and igbo... Why does God want you to speak language you dont know and can't even tell the words that comes put from your mouth.

My dear, who are we to question God? but let me just share this 2 points with you, please open ur mind to learn and dont just be too eager to argue;
1) Please do read up rom 8 26-27; from this scripture we wld understand dat d Holy spirit searcheth the mind of God and helps us align our prayer with d will of God. Thus by the help of the Spirit, we pray based on God's will. Now to ur question; why cant we understand what we say? The simple truth is dat only God is ominiscient, dont u think dat if the Holy Spirit after searching the heart of God in turn reveals it to us, then God wld lose His identity as being distinctly or solely ominiscient cos we wld know just like God? therefore all dat is important is for us to be assured dat when we pray in d Spirit, we are praying aright cos we are praying according to wat is in God's mind even though we dont understand it which to me is inconsequential.
2) The second point i want you to note is dat u cant pray selfishly in d Holy Spirit. The Human being is generally selfish, and dis is even extended to our prayer life. all we pray about is us and our loved ones. we never pray for our enemies. in matt 5 44, Jesus talks about loving ur enemies and praying for those dat despisefully use you as well as those dat persecute you. this is one teaching dat is difficult to observe in d flesh, but when we pray in d spirit, only God knows how many times we have prayed for our enemies. Now to ur question once more; why cant we understand what we say? truthfully speaking, if d Holyspirit reveals to us dat d psn we are praying to God to bless is dat same boss or colleague in d office dat hates us for no just cause and is bent on seeing us sacked, would we still genuinely want to pray for him or her? op pls answer honestly. my dear friend d truth of d matter is dat there are certain things we are better off not knowing, which is where our faith in God comes into play, we shld trust d Holyspirit to help us pray aright.
finally pls do note dat there is a big reward for praying in d spirit. verse 28 0f d same romans 8 says; and we know dat all things work 2geda for gud to them that love God and to them who are called according to his purpose; tnx to d verse 27 which talks abt d Holy spirit making intercession, dis verse 28 is applicable to a believer. often times gud things just happen to we believers, and we are like wow but we never prayed for dis and we conclude dat of a truth all things work together for my gud, without even realising dat we just must hv prayed for dat particular situation howbeit in tongues (in d spirit) thus we never knew when we made such a prayer.
last bullet: op learn to have more faith in God.
Re: Leave Any Church That Speaks In Tongues(gibberish) by shdemidemi(m): 11:02am On Jul 29, 2013
takeprofit: when u fellowship with the Father, maybe u r singing to Him or u r speaking in praise or prayer. it sometimes gets to a point where u lack words to express urself. and u may find urself speaking words u dont understand, which nobody else will understand.

That is just a lazy way of praying sir.
Re: Leave Any Church That Speaks In Tongues(gibberish) by AyodejiGB: 11:15am On Jul 29, 2013
Everybody can speak in tongues
Mark 16:17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
16:18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.
1st Corinthians 14:21 In the law it is written, With men of other tongues and other lips will I speak unto this people; and yet for all that will they not hear me, saith the Lord. (Isaiah 28.11)

Acts 1:14 These all continued with one accord in prayer and supplication, with the women, and Mary the mother of Jesus, and with his brethren.
1:15 And in those days Peter stood up in the midst of the disciples, and said, (the number of names together were about an hundred and twenty,)
These were the first people to be filled with the holy spirit and speak with tongues.
Acts And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they
were all with one accord in one place.
2:2 And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting.
2:3 And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.
2:4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

Pls check my post on the manifestation of the holy spirit. I will repeat the parts of acts for personal study.. Acts chapters 8, 10, 19v6

1st corinthians chapters is referring to the church of Corinth and it is stated there

1st Corinthians 12:28 And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.
12:29 Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles?
12:30 Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?
12:31 But covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way.
All epistles are for particular churches to help their spiritual growth

Now to settle this :
1st Corinthians 14:18 I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all:

Here everyone in the church in Corinth were obviously speaking in tongues. Paul was giving directions on conduct inside the church. This continued till the end of the epistle to the Corinthians.(conduct of women in the church)
14:19 Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue.
14:22 Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe.
14:23 If therefore the whole church be come together into one place, and all speak with tongues, and there come in those that are unlearned, or unbelievers, will they not say that ye are mad?

We must also remember that there was so much idolatry then so Christians must have a conduct that is holy and different from their communities. There were orgies and prostitutes dedicated to the Bacchus.
Re: Leave Any Church That Speaks In Tongues(gibberish) by AyodejiGB: 11:15am On Jul 29, 2013
Everybody can speak in tongues
Mark 16:17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
16:18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.
1st Corinthians 14:21 In the law it is written, With men of other tongues and other lips will I speak unto this people; and yet for all that will they not hear me, saith the Lord. (Isaiah 28.11)

Acts 1:14 These all continued with one accord in prayer and supplication, with the women, and Mary the mother of Jesus, and with his brethren.
1:15 And in those days Peter stood up in the midst of the disciples, and said, (the number of names together were about an hundred and twenty,)
These were the first people to be filled with the holy spirit and speak with tongues.
Acts And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they
were all with one accord in one place.
2:2 And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting.
2:3 And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.
2:4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

Pls check my post on the manifestation of the holy spirit. I will repeat the parts of acts for personal study.. Acts chapters 8, 10, 19v6

1st corinthians chapters is referring to the church of Corinth and it is stated there

1st Corinthians 12:28 And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.
12:29 Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles?
12:30 Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?
12:31 But covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way.
All epistles are for particular churches to help their spiritual growth

Now to settle this :
1st Corinthians 14:18 I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all:

Here everyone in the church in Corinth were obviously speaking in tongues. Paul was giving directions on conduct inside the church. This continued till the end of the epistle to the Corinthians.(conduct of women in the church)
14:19 Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue.
14:22 Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe.
14:23 If therefore the whole church be come together into one place, and all speak with tongues, and there come in those that are unlearned, or unbelievers, will they not say that ye are mad?

We must also remember that there was so much idolatry then so Christians must have a conduct that is holy and different from their communities. There were orgies and prostitutes dedicated to the Bacchus.
Re: Leave Any Church That Speaks In Tongues(gibberish) by numen(m): 12:04pm On Jul 29, 2013
vikkywaju: gibberish, your write up is dam rubbish. you are just misquoting the bible. speaking in tongues is a known language (act 2) and is still happening because the promise is for us. is just that churches are not having the real holy spirit. if u wnt to know d truth and hear the truth come 2 apostolic faith.

Speaking in tongues means speaking in another language on earth other than the language of the people in your current vicinity (which they don't understand). Anything other than this....you're possessed!
Re: Leave Any Church That Speaks In Tongues(gibberish) by benalvino(m): 12:05pm On Jul 29, 2013
gradeA:

My dear, who are we to question God? but let me just share this 2 points with you, please open ur mind to learn and dont just be too eager to argue;
1) Please do read up rom 8 26-27; from this scripture we wld understand dat d Holy spirit searcheth the mind of God and helps us align our prayer with d will of God. Thus by the help of the Spirit, we pray based on God's will. Now to ur question; why cant we understand what we say? The simple truth is dat only God is ominiscient, dont u think dat if the Holy Spirit after searching the heart of God in turn reveals it to us, then God wld lose His identity as being distinctly or solely ominiscient cos we wld know just like God? therefore all dat is important is for us to be assured dat when we pray in d Spirit, we are praying aright cos we are praying according to wat is in God's mind even though we dont understand it which to me is inconsequential.
2) The second point i want you to note is dat u cant pray selfishly in d Holy Spirit. The Human being is generally selfish, and dis is even extended to our prayer life. all we pray about is us and our loved ones. we never pray for our enemies. in matt 5 44, Jesus talks about loving ur enemies and praying for those dat despisefully use you as well as those dat persecute you. this is one teaching dat is difficult to observe in d flesh, but when we pray in d spirit, only God knows how many times we have prayed for our enemies. Now to ur question once more; why cant we understand what we say? truthfully speaking, if d Holyspirit reveals to us dat d psn we are praying to God to bless is dat same boss or colleague in d office dat hates us for no just cause and is bent on seeing us sacked, would we still genuinely want to pray for him or her? op pls answer honestly. my dear friend d truth of d matter is dat there are certain things we are better off not knowing, which is where our faith in God comes into play, we shld trust d Holyspirit to help us pray aright.
finally pls do note dat there is a big reward for praying in d spirit. verse 28 0f d same romans 8 says; and we know dat all things work 2geda for gud to them that love God and to them who are called according to his purpose; tnx to d verse 27 which talks abt d Holy spirit making intercession, dis verse 28 is applicable to a believer. often times gud things just happen to we believers, and we are like wow but we never prayed for dis and we conclude dat of a truth all things work together for my gud, without even realising dat we just must hv prayed for dat particular situation howbeit in tongues (in d spirit) thus we never knew when we made such a prayer.
last bullet: op learn to have more faith in God.

When you start to take bible verses in full context that's why your eyes will open... Look at my past post nothing you have said here that I haven't addressed... The Romans you quote have no link with speaking in tongues...
Re: Leave Any Church That Speaks In Tongues(gibberish) by numen(m): 12:10pm On Jul 29, 2013
bishopjoe02:
its all there in the bible.
The Apostles in the book of act doing pentecost were speaking in tongues, dats why all the people present could hear them in their own language cos the Holy spirit was the interpreter then.
Why Roman 8:26 talks about praying in tongues: the spirit make intercession (pray) with groaning...

You're correct! By the Holy spirit, they were speaking in those peoples' native TONGUE (language). So what they were speaking was a valid language on earth. But if you partake in "Hori ma ma ma shee!" type of tongue-speaking...you're possessed!
Re: Leave Any Church That Speaks In Tongues(gibberish) by numen(m): 12:20pm On Jul 29, 2013
bishopjoe02:
Even you know, i am speaking the truth, i have given u the definition of groaning, and i have given u a practical example. Its an audible sound, even a layman know this, why not type the word 'groaning' on google and see things 4 urself. Its audible and that roman 8:26 explain evrytin abt tongues, 1cor 14, cn be manipulated because it wasnt specific. Pls let embrasse the truth, dat u dont have d gift does not mean it does not exist, i know u have urs, not all christian must (must) have d gift of tongues, there are oda divers gift. Pls stick wth urs and let odas enjoy theirs. Thanks

Like someone pointed out earlier Roman 8:26 said the "groanings" cannot be uttered It means they are not audible therefore you cannot say "inaudible groanings" is the same as "speaking in tongues". Tongues = Another Language on Earth.
Re: Leave Any Church That Speaks In Tongues(gibberish) by smileoly(f): 12:49pm On Jul 29, 2013
there r indeed a lot of errors in using of tongues in church service BUT dt doesnt mean its nt real.Paul in 1cor 14 said dt prayin in tongues is with the spirit bt nt d mind.It is an edificatn to the speaker bt nt odas,so beta 2 prophesy 4 sake of odas.
Re: Leave Any Church That Speaks In Tongues(gibberish) by mko2005: 1:02pm On Jul 29, 2013
benalvino:

That is exactly what I did. Speaking in tongues mean speaking in Japanese French igbo Yoruba... If you do not understand it... It is unknown to you.

When people pray In tongues kikikikakakasantaya kimokolobangara is gibberish man... Even Jesus did not pray like this.

Paul states that if you speak unknown tongue you did not share your understanding with the church but to only you and God..

because if the people can't understand you... You are talking to your self. God understand everything so you are talking to God as well. You should learn to take bible verse in context. He says if you must speak in an unknown tongue someone should interprete it. Simple.

Notice he is not talking about prayers but ministering to people...

When people fail to comprehend a thing and thus can not comply,they try to re-interpret the scripture to suit their 'believe'or understanding ! Speaking in tongues is one of the numerous gifts of the holy spirit ! If you don't understand it,you can't desire it !
God help us
Re: Leave Any Church That Speaks In Tongues(gibberish) by Meeday05: 1:02pm On Jul 29, 2013
@ben, I dont knw much bouh d Bible buh I can boldly say u r mistaken.
Re: Leave Any Church That Speaks In Tongues(gibberish) by mko2005: 1:21pm On Jul 29, 2013
My Advice to 'Christians' is that you all should guard your heart diligently for if you don't,you will be so empty that when the lord comes it will be difficult for you to be associated with HIM !
The only way you can tell if you are a son/daughter of God is only when you are led by the spirit ! To have the spirit in you is one thing,to be filled with the spirit is another and to continue in the spirit is the final until Jesus come !
All who are born again have got the spirit in them and one of the numerous ways to know the one so filled with the holy spirit is to speak in an unknown tongue that is made manifest by the holy spirit himself !
bonalvino should know where he belongs !
Speaking in unknown tongue does not take anyone to heaven ! After all ''For God's gifts and his call can never be withdrawn''!Romans 11:29
God help us
Re: Leave Any Church That Speaks In Tongues(gibberish) by Beey(f): 1:54pm On Jul 29, 2013
Beey: I do believe in speaking in tongues but this right here is man-made.These are just a bunch of actors invoking God's name in their acting business.These are a bunch of fishermen looking to see which fish gets caught in their net.May God deliver us from false teachers.The Bible says in the book of acts that the Bereans were more noble because even after Paul had preached to them,they went & searched the Scriptures for themselves. That's an essential quality in faith growth that's lacking in churches today.Believers who ought to be eating solid food of the word,are still on milk.Read your Bibles and you will not be tossed about by every wind of doctrine!!!
Re: Leave Any Church That Speaks In Tongues(gibberish) by mko2005: 1:59pm On Jul 29, 2013
nokingasgod:

Dem no go hear, oversabi don dabaru dem senses so tayyyyyy dem dey fellowship unconsciously wit Lucifer dem no know.

To say yarning in tongues dey dat important to mankind Oga Jesus for mention am, himsef for yarn am die,abi him forget?
You people just dey say oga Jesus,oga Jesus for tell us dis for tell us dat if to say e dey important. Now make i ask you,oga Jesus tell you about fornication ? E be like say fornication no really matter na him make oga Jesus no talk about am. Oga Jesus tell you about gay ? May be him want make men dey touchlight men like them and women also dey tochlight women like dem na him make am no talk about am abi ?
Abeg hear dis one,oga Jesus say him one go heaven so dat d father go send d holy spirit for him name w..Jesus. AND WEN THE HOLY SPIRIT COME,HIM GO TEACH US ALL THINGS ! See wetin bible talk for under:
''But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you.''-John 14:26
From d bible wey we don look above,you know see am there say the holy spirit go teach every thing,even the one wey Jesus never tell you and him go remind you of Jesus own pka-pka ! Na the holy spirit wey come land on top of the disciples head like say HIM be fire na him manifest that speaking in tongues for the mouth of the apostles. See also below wetin Jesus tell them him disciples before him waka:
''On one occasion, while he was eating with them, he gave them this command: “Do not leave Jerusalem, but wait for the gift my Father promised, which you have heard me speak about.For John baptized with water, but in a few days you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit.”Acts 1:4-5
From dat one above,we don see the gift wey Christ promise dem him disciples(holy spirit)That Holy spirit come come again with HIM own gift wey be speaking in tongues.!
See the koko now,as you say the gift of the holy spirit na to speak hausA,IGBO,YORUBA,NUPE,IGALA ETC ETC ETC,i myself don dey speak all these languages,dey even learn ,Tagalog(Philippines) and chinease language before i carry my life go gif Jesus. so as i sabi all that language wey i no even know Jesus,na the holy spirit teach me that one ? The holy spirit fit gif a born again Christian all other foreign languages but the heavenly tongue na for special and exclusively for HIM children ! Any attempt for persin wey no get the holy spirit to speak wether refined or un refined na WASH !
Any man wey no get dis holy spirit fully inside of am no go fit speak in tongue NO MATTER HOW YOU TRY TO SAY;kokokoko-kakakaka-kikikiki-kukukuku ! But if you don born again & u never get am,abeg make u beg God for am u go get am ! All the people wey dey here dey criticise dat original talking in tongues no know about am and dem no get am at all. dem fit get d holy spirit o,if e be say dem born again but dem no dey filled with dat holy spirit and e go hard well well to speak in genuine tongue ! No be the copi copi one o ! but abeg make una easy dey talk about this holy spirit make una no go vex am o. If him vex,HIM no go come near you again.This one na him be the unforgivable sin wey christ dey talk about.
God go do am for us all
Re: Leave Any Church That Speaks In Tongues(gibberish) by benalvino(m): 2:17pm On Jul 29, 2013
m.k.o2005:

You people just dey say oga Jesus,oga Jesus for tell us dis for tell us dat if to say e dey important. Now make i ask you,oga Jesus tell you about fornication ? E be like say fornication no really matter na him make oga Jesus no talk about am. Oga Jesus tell you about gay ? May be him want make men dey touchlight men like them and women also dey tochlight women like dem na him make am no talk about am abi ?
Abeg hear dis one,oga Jesus say him one go heaven so dat d father go send d holy spirit for him name w..Jesus. AND WEN THE HOLY SPIRIT COME,HIM GO TEACH US ALL THINGS ! See wetin bible talk for under:
''But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you.''-John 14:26
From d bible wey we don look above,you know see am there say the holy spirit go teach every thing,even the one wey Jesus never tell you and him go remind you of Jesus own pka-pka ! Na the holy spirit wey come land on top of the disciples head like say HIM be fire na him manifest that speaking in tongues for the mouth of the apostles. See also below wetin Jesus tell them him disciples before him waka:
''On one occasion, while he was eating with them, he gave them this command: “Do not leave Jerusalem, but wait for the gift my Father promised, which you have heard me speak about.For John baptized with water, but in a few days you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit.”Acts 1:4-5
From dat one above,we don see the gift wey Christ promise dem him disciples(holy spirit)That Holy spirit come come again with HIM own gift wey be speaking in tongues.!
See the koko now,as you say the gift of the holy spirit na to speak hausA,IGBO,YORUBA,NUPE,IGALA ETC ETC ETC,i myself don dey speak all these languages,dey even learn ,Tagalog(Philippines) and chinease language before i carry my life go gif Jesus. so as i sabi all that language wey i no even know Jesus,na the holy spirit teach me that one ? The holy spirit fit gif a born again Christian all other foreign languages but the heavenly tongue na for special and exclusively for HIM children ! Any attempt for persin wey no get the holy spirit to speak wether refined or un refined na WASH !
Any man wey no get dis holy spirit fully inside of am no go fit speak in tongue NO MATTER HOW YOU TRY TO SAY;kokokoko-kakakaka-kikikiki-kukukuku ! But if you don born again & u never get am,abeg make u beg God for am u go get am ! All the people wey dey here dey criticise dat original talking in tongues no know about am and dem no get am at all. dem fit get d holy spirit o,if e be say dem born again but dem no dey filled with dat holy spirit and e go hard well well to speak in genuine tongue ! No be the copi copi one o ! but abeg make una easy dey talk about this holy spirit make una no go vex am o. If him vex,HIM no go come near you again.This one na him be the unforgivable sin wey christ dey talk about.
God go do am for us all

If you dont know that the bible talks about fornication... Then there is a lot you dont know
Re: Leave Any Church That Speaks In Tongues(gibberish) by Nobody: 2:51pm On Jul 29, 2013
@ Benalvino,
There are three types of Tongues recorded in the Bible:
1. Tongues unto God (mysteries). No one, including the speaker understands it. If anyone understands them, they will no longer be mysteries.
2. Tongues unto the unbeliever (in their language) - God will only give this where it is needed as a witness to his power and grace.
3. Tongues unto believers - just like prophecy, this one has to be interpreted and has to benefit/edify the believers.

I have always been confused by this until i listened to a teaching and dug deep into the Scriptures. I will encourage you to do the same by having a deeper fellowship with the Holy Spirit.

If you are really want to know these things, spend a bit of time with the Holy Ghost and ask Him to teach you the Truth. He will reveal it to you from the Bible or send teachers across to you. Having head knowledge of the scripture is not even enough. You dont give this type of advice carelessly because the depth of relationship people have with God to a large extent is influenced by the church they attend. So coming to NL to ask people to leave a certain church does show a lot of humilty. There are some advice you dont give to anyone unless God has given you a spiritual authority over them. I believe church to attend or not to attend is one of them. God bless you!
Re: Leave Any Church That Speaks In Tongues(gibberish) by mko2005: 3:23pm On Jul 29, 2013
benalvino:

If you dont know that the bible talks about fornication... Then there is a lot you dont know
Was i talking about the bible talking about fornication or Jesus talking about fornication ? Go through my write up again and address me properly (like a brother)

God help us
Re: Leave Any Church That Speaks In Tongues(gibberish) by mko2005: 3:31pm On Jul 29, 2013
EBK2: @ Benalvino,
There are three types of Tongues recorded in the Bible:
1. Tongues unto God (mysteries). No one, including the speaker understands it. If anyone understands them, they will no longer be mysteries.
2. Tongues unto the unbeliever (in their language) - God will only give this where it is needed as a witness to his power and grace.
3. Tongues unto believers - just like prophecy, this one has to be interpreted and has to benefit/edify the believers.

I have always been confused by this until i listened to a teaching and dug deep into the Scriptures. I will encourage you to do the same by having a deeper fellowship with the Holy Spirit.

If you are really want to know these things, spend a bit of time with the Holy Ghost and ask Him to teach you the Truth. He will reveal it to you from the Bible or send teachers across to you. Having head knowledge of the scripture is not even enough. You dont give this type of advice carelessly because the depth of relationship people have with God to a large extent is influenced by the church they attend. So coming to NL to ask people to leave a certain church does show a lot of humilty. There are some advice you dont give to anyone unless God has given you a spiritual authority over them. I believe church to attend or not to attend is one of them. God bless you!
Now,this is a christian ! We know one by the fruit of the spirit they exhibit ! I pray that the indwelling of the spirit will be so full in you that men will see and marvel and give glory to the Almighty God !
May God help us

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply)

See The Hilarious Prayer Request Of Lady During Live Prayers Service / Battle At Synagogue, Trustee Alleges Threat To Live, TB Joshua's Daughter Reacts / Femi Falana: "Pastor Adeboye Creating Business Centers, Not Churches" [video]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 169
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.