Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,120 members, 7,939,531 topics. Date: Wednesday, 04 September 2024 at 07:46 AM

Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. (10438 Views)

Olympic Games Qualifier :Equatorial Guinea 2 Vs Nigeria 1 (Full time) / Nigerian Team Departs To Participate In Special Olympic Games / Nigeria 1 - 1 Equatorial Guinea (Olympic Games Qualifier). (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by Nobody: 12:39am On Sep 08, 2013
Symphony007: funny how you and i were at each others neck with a knife a few days ago on one thread. Now we agree on something. The beauty of life!! Thank you.

Lol, views vary by thread cool
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by Afam4eva(m): 12:40am On Sep 08, 2013
manny4life:

That Rio did it doesn't mean Nigeria by default should. Like I said, greed is a factor in business. The Olympics Committee don't give a hoot what the host nation charges, they are interested in a comfortable place where the event is held and required infrastructures in place. Rio is trying to make their money, a ticket to an event shouldn't cost an arm and a leg unless you want front row seats. grin grin
I get your point and like i said, the only way the stadium will recieve a reasonable number of spectators is if the ticket is free or dirt cheap and that will only help in filling 30% of the football stadium and other sports stadium will remain empty cos we just don't have the Olympic culture.Nigeria is a one-sport country.

1 Like

Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by manny4life(m): 12:42am On Sep 08, 2013
Afam4eva:
Lol grin I'm just trolling oo. See as you take am serious. Who compares Maiduguri to Abidjan how much more London...it's funny though. I remember the government led by the greedy Northern politicians, wanting to use Bauchi as the Nigerian host city for the commonwealth games without considering these variables.

Ahh, Afam Nwanne'm... so you got to me like this? angry angry angry

Me think sey you serious? grin grin grin

Well wahala no dey... My beloved Nigeria will get there

Nigeria will host the Olympics and Nnewi will be the city that will host the gamess grin grin
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by Afam4eva(m): 12:43am On Sep 08, 2013
manny4life:

They say a patient dog eats the fattest bone, so Nigeria should continue on her path economically and we'll get there with time. Granted there's a transformation agenda going on, but you know how embarrassing it will be taking light at Maiduguri stadium in the night of the opening ceremony? embarassed embarassed embarassed
This is what scaress me whenever Nigerian hosts an international event. I remember being at the edge of my sofa few years ago when we hosted the under-17 world cup. I was praying in my mind "I hope NEPA does not take the light in the stadium...i hope the flood lights are working...I hope people show up in the stadium...i hope..i hope". That's what happen when you're a citizen of a dysfunctional country.
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by Nobody: 12:43am On Sep 08, 2013
manny4life:

Nigeria will host the Olympics and Nnewi will be the city that will host the gamess grin grin

Amen grin cheesy grin
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by Afam4eva(m): 12:44am On Sep 08, 2013
manny4life:

I would like the bolded very much but unfortunately NNewi is yet to get a stadium or should i say, a good or an Olympic stadium. Even Onitsha doesn't have a stadium.
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by manny4life(m): 12:46am On Sep 08, 2013
Afam4eva:
This is what scaress me whenever Nigerian hosts an international event. I remember being at the edge of my sofa few years ago when we hosted the under-17 world cup. I was praying in my mind "I hope NEPA does not take the light in the stadium...i hope the flood lights are working...I hope people show up in the stadium...i hope..i hope". That's what happen when you're a citizen of a dysfunctional country.

Lol...All na true so you see why we ain't ready yet..

If that one happen, this one no be regional disgrace, na international disgrace, in fact Nigerians abroad will be MOCKED so bad.. embarassed embarassed
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by manny4life(m): 12:47am On Sep 08, 2013
Afam4eva:
I would like the bolded very much but unfortunately NNewi is yet to get a stadium or should i say, a good or an Olympic stadium. Even Onitsha doesn't have a stadium.

Nna, you talk like somethings aren't possible...

When the time comes, you'll see that Nnewi will build an international standard stadium. That is when I become Nnewi Mayor. grin grin grin
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by manny4life(m): 12:48am On Sep 08, 2013
adaobi123:

Amen grin cheesy grin

Yes o... Amen to that.
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by Nobody: 12:49am On Sep 08, 2013
manny4life:

grin grin grin grin
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by Nobody: 12:51am On Sep 08, 2013
Imagine Lagos hosting the Olympics, with Eko Atlantic as the back-drop...
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by Afam4eva(m): 12:52am On Sep 08, 2013
As it stands now, only Lagos can host an Olympic games. Abuja is a low self-esteem city with no character to host such an event.
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by manny4life(m): 12:54am On Sep 08, 2013
Afam4eva: As it stands now, on;y Lagos can host an Olympic games. Abuja is a low self-esteem city with no character to host such an event.

Abeg o, no to Lagos..

Lagos is too crowded and more so a dirty city.. We need a CLEAN, LESS TRAFFIC city. Abj is low self esteem but I will pick Enguu for it's quietness and modesty or Cross River with the Ranch and serene beauty, a GREEN CITY, a place where CLEANLINESS isn't a problem.
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by Afam4eva(m): 12:57am On Sep 08, 2013
manny4life:

Abeg o, no to Lagos..

Lagos is too crowded and more so a dirty city.. We need a CLEAN, LESS TRAFFIC city. Abj is low self esteem but I will pick Enguu for it's quietness and modesty or Cross River with the Ranch and serene beauty, a GREEN CITY, a place where CLEANLINESS isn't a problem.
Apart from St Louis in Missouri and a few other cities, most cities that have hosted the Olympic stadium are usually the commercial capital of their country. Enugu and Calabar will be a good city for it's orderliness about just like Abuja, at least to some extent, they don't have the character to host such an event. I'll even place a sportless city like Onitsha, Aba or even Ibadan before Enugu. All Lagos needs is just some cosmetics and it is good to go.
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by piagetskinner(m): 12:59am On Sep 08, 2013
Ashlyy20: Gud 4 dem.wen wil nigeria host? undecidedGud 4 dem.wen wil nigeria host?
2080....We might not b here by thengringrin
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by Nobody: 12:59am On Sep 08, 2013
manny4life:

angry angry angry angry
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by Afam4eva(m): 12:59am On Sep 08, 2013
piaget+skinner:

2080....We might not b here by thengringrin
If i hear say Nigeria still exist by 2080 grin
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by Nobody: 1:00am On Sep 08, 2013
manny4life:

Abeg o, no to Lagos..

The olympics are generally held in highly populated cities in order to guarantee a return on investment. That's why the Brits put forward London in 2005, instead of Milton-Keynes or Norwich.
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by Afam4eva(m): 1:01am On Sep 08, 2013
CFCfan:

The olympics are generally held in highly populated cities in order to guarantee a return on investment. That's why the Brits put forward London in 2005, instead of Milton-Keynes or Norwich.

Abeg, na where be this? It's not like Britain had any choice than to present London cos no other city is Olympic material. It's just similar to the situation in Nigeria. It's not like in the US where over 20 cities are capable of hosting the olympics.
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by manny4life(m): 1:04am On Sep 08, 2013
Afam4eva:
Apart from St Louis in Missouri and a few other cities, most cities that have hosted the Olympic stadium are usually the commercial capital of their country. Enugu and Calabar will be a good city for it's orderliness about just like Abuja, at least to some extent, they don't have the character to host such an event. I'll even place a sportless city like Onitsha, Aba or even Ibadan before Enugu.

Shey I will chop commercial? Yes I understand the commercial aspects, but Lagos or Onitsha are crowded cities without infrastructures as opposed to the commercial host nations. Lagos is fast improving her infrastructures, but is it enough to host an even where more than at least 50,000 people are expected in the country? Answer is NO.. The traffic jam alone on the highways is a no-no, the dirty streets, the uncoordinated activities including extortion and what have you gives it a FAIL. It's easier for cities like Enugu with peaceful environs to maintain decorum than Lagos. The capital involved in the upgrade of both cities are on a scale of 1:10, yet you'll be surprised that these cities have same values like Lagos does.
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by Nobody: 1:04am On Sep 08, 2013
Lool at Milton Keynes and Norwich grin
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by manny4life(m): 1:07am On Sep 08, 2013
CFCfan:

I get the ROI part, i.e. if you spent money billions, you want billions back, however, Lagos is overly crowded to a sick point, the city is too damn dirty. Traffic in Lagos alone will put any tourist unease, not to say there aren't tourist in Lagos, but these are dedicated one. Me personally, I would vote down Lagos on the basis of Lagos has A LOT to show for.
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by Afam4eva(m): 1:07am On Sep 08, 2013
manny4life:

Shey I will chop commercial? Yes I understand the commercial aspects, but Lagos or Onitsha are crowded cities without infrastructures as opposed to the commercial host nations. Lagos is fast improving her infrastructures, but is it enough to host an even where more than at least 50,000 people are expected in the country? Answer is NO.. The traffic jam alone on the highways is a no-no, the dirty streets, the uncoordinated activities including extortion and what have you gives it a FAIL. It's easier for cities like Enugu with peaceful environs to maintain decorum than Lagos. The capital involved in the upgrade of both cities are on a scale of 1:10, yet you'll be surprised that these cities have same values like Lagos does.
Manny, it seems you don't understand the commercial value of the Olympics. if Enugu were to host the Olympic, where will the crowd come from? Are you aware that Enugu is to a large extent, a civil-service state? London, Rio and Tokyo are chaotic in their own rights just like Lagos though with better infrastructure. All Lagos needs to put in place are those basic infrastructure and they're good to go. For any other NIgerian city to host the Olympic games then the city will be turned into a construction site.
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by manny4life(m): 1:10am On Sep 08, 2013
Afam4eva:
Manny, it seems you don't understand the commercial value of the Olympics. if Enugu were to host the Olympic, where will the crowd come from? Are you aware that Enugu is to a large extent, a civil-service state? London, Rio and Tokyo are chaotic in their own rights just like Lagos though with better infrastructure. All Lagos needs to put in place are those basic infrastructure and they're good to go. For any other NIgerian city to host the Olympic games then the city will be turned into a construction site.

Ok, I see your point, I'm just saying though... I wouldn't recommend Lagos, if I would, A LOT of work has to be done. This is not because you wnt to impress anyone, but to alleviate or even eliminate certain bottleneck.
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by Nobody: 1:11am On Sep 08, 2013
Afam4eva:
Abeg, na where be this? It's not like Britain had any choice than to present London cos no other city is Olympic material. It's just similar to the situation in Nigeria. It's not like in the US where over 20 cities are capable of hosting the olympics.

Its a city in South eastern England.
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by Afam4eva(m): 1:12am On Sep 08, 2013
CFCfan:

Its a city in South eastern England.
Never heard of it in my life and if i havn't heard of it then it can't good enough. I only know the popular places eg Liverpool, Manchester, Birmingham, Brixton, Glasgow, Cardiff, Belfast etc.
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by Nobody: 1:16am On Sep 08, 2013
Afam4eva:
Never heard of it in my life and if i havn't heard of it then it can't good enough. I only know the popular places eg Liverpool, Manchester, Birmingham, Brixton, Glasgow, Cardiff, Belfast etc.
Those cities can also host the olympics
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by Ishilove: 1:16am On Sep 08, 2013
Ashlyy20: Gud 4 dem.wen wil nigeria host? undecidedGud 4 dem.wen wil nigeria host?
When our grandchildren are getting ready to marry...
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by Afam4eva(m): 1:18am On Sep 08, 2013
CFCfan:
Those cities can also host the olympics
Probably. But if they're competing against bigger cities like Chicago, Houston, Sydney, Toronto etc then they'll fall flat.
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by Nobody: 1:23am On Sep 08, 2013
Afam4eva:
Maybe. But if they're competing against bigger cities like Chicago, Houston, Sydney, Toronto etc then they'll fall flat.

Yeah, US cities really have no commercial rivals, with the exception of Dubai, Doha, and the upcoming Eko Atlantic.
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by Afam4eva(m): 1:25am On Sep 08, 2013
CFCfan:

Yeah, US cities really have no commercial rivals, with the exception of Dubai, Doha, and the upcoming Eko Atlantic.
That's because each cities were left to develop at their own pace hence the reason why you have soo many commercial cities in the US. London and Lagos have taken a lot of juice from Britain and Nigeria respectively. They've taken what is supposed to have been shared by everyone.
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by MacLovington(m): 1:37am On Sep 08, 2013
grin grin
Afam4eva:
Lol grin I'm just trolling oo. See as you take am serious. Who compares Maiduguri to Abidjan how much more London...it's funny though. I remember the government led by the greedy Northern politicians, wanting to use Bauchi as the Nigerian host city for the commonwealth games without considering these variables.

Hey Afam,

Don't use style come dey "insalt" Naija here oo. cheesy

And don't "inpepper" Maiduguri just because of common boko haram.

You were supporting New York even without green card. Learn to support a winning team.

E never reach wey you go go bid for Ngwa Aba to host Olympics. " Ngwa 2060" and hire totoh decay or Cossy Orijiakor as face of the bid. cheesy

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

SURE October 2017 Cheat To Win Bet9ja Virtual League / Dolphins FC Vs Kwara United (0 - 0) On 7th March 2015 / Governor Emmanuel Udom Promises Super Eagles $10,000 Per Goal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.