Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,198,820 members, 7,969,464 topics. Date: Tuesday, 08 October 2024 at 08:20 AM

Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. - Sports (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. (10483 Views)

Olympic Games Qualifier :Equatorial Guinea 2 Vs Nigeria 1 (Full time) / Nigerian Team Departs To Participate In Special Olympic Games / Nigeria 1 - 1 Equatorial Guinea (Olympic Games Qualifier). (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by Afam4eva(m): 1:40am On Sep 08, 2013
MacLovington: grin grin.

Hey Afam,

Don't use style come dey "insalt" Naija here oo. cheesy

And don't "inpepper" Maiduguri just because of common boko haram.

You were supporting New York even without green card. Learn to support a winning team.

E never reach wey you go go bid for Ngwa Aba to host Olympics. " Ngwa 2060" and hire totoh decay or Cossy Orijiakor as face of the bid. cheesy
grin grin grin

Aba-Ngwa 2060 won't be such a bad idea grin
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by MacLovington(m): 1:43am On Sep 08, 2013
adaobi123:

Lol. Issokay.

Yes o. Its my bday today. Yes I'm a virgo smiley

Ada, Hapi beffday!

No candlelight dinner with Mazi Afam? e-dinner thinz.
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by manny4life(m): 1:46am On Sep 08, 2013
MacLovington:

Ada, Hapi beffday!

No candlelight dinner with Afam? e-dinner thinz.

Wait o, Ada and Afam together? shocked shocked shocked
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by MacLovington(m): 1:53am On Sep 08, 2013
manny4life:

Wait o, Ada and Afam together? shocked shocked shocked

Manny dey there dey ask kweshion, if you let Afam "cash" you with her.

Na only you like better thing. You think say another person never "eye" the fine babe before.

This one wey Afam just quiet so, he just dey observe. E go pounce on you like a Siberian tiger.
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by Nobody: 2:03am On Sep 08, 2013
GREAT tongue
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by 2fine2fast(m): 5:06am On Sep 08, 2013
Daily contribution tinz
i must be there come 2020

p.s: Jesus Please Hold on
[size=8pt][/size]
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by mamagee3(f): 5:58am On Sep 08, 2013
Congrats Tokyo!!!
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by Symphony007: 6:02am On Sep 08, 2013
Afam4eva:
Abeg, na where be this? It's not like Britain had any choice than to present London cos no other city is Olympic material. It's just similar to the situation in Nigeria. It's not like in the US where over 20 cities are capable of hosting the olympics.
ever heard of liverpool. Manchester. Edinburgh. Cardiff, glascow, blackpool,etc...by the way, manchester is hosting the 2014 commonwealth games.
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by Afam4eva(m): 6:03am On Sep 08, 2013
Symphony007: ever heard of liverpool. Manchester. Edinburgh. Cardiff, glascow, blackpool,etc...by the way, manchester is hosting the 2014 commonwealth games.
You're wrong. manchester hosted it some years back. 2014 belongs to Glasgow. Btw, the commonwealth games is not the same as the olympics.
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by adeokunade: 6:31am On Sep 08, 2013
By that time Usain Bolt would have retired and that will give Nigeria a chance to win 100meters men gold
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by Sonsofbitches(m): 6:55am On Sep 08, 2013
You such a dumb ass. What does earth quake has to do with being selected to host the 2020 Olympics. Tokyo is far and well developed than your shit hole country. Japan(tokyo) is the 3rd largest economy in the world.
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by PStacks(m): 7:27am On Sep 08, 2013
So because I want to watch olympics I'l go to Tokyo Japan where their Fukishima Plant is leaking water with high levels of Radiation.

So I'l because of Olympics go and allow radiation enter my body. Mtcheeew..
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by babyboy3(m): 7:28am On Sep 08, 2013
Afam4eva:

The truth is that Nigeria has the financial muscle to host an olympic game but we don't have the character. I won't want a situation whereby stadiums will be virtually empty because people cannot pay for sits. I think the Olympic games prosper in countries will a large pull of upper and middle class people.

A country doesnt host the Olympic but a city does, so tell me which City will that be Kano, Abuja, Enugu, Ibadan etc The only that has a slight chance will be Lagos. Will the FG support a Lagos bid? I doubt it, Abuja cannot beat Cairo, Casablanca or Nairobi let alone Johannesburg!
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by dfolan: 7:29am On Sep 08, 2013
congratulations Tokyo
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by babyboy3(m): 7:30am On Sep 08, 2013
P.Stacks:
So because I want to watch olympics I'l go to Tokyo Japan where their Fukishima Plant is leaking water with high levels of Radiation.

So I'l because of Olympics go and allow radiation enter my body. Mtcheeew..

Fukishima Plant is over 150 miles away from Tokyo, we talking about the distance from Osun State to Lagos
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by Afam4eva(m): 7:32am On Sep 08, 2013
baby-boy:

A country doesnt host the Olympic but a city does, so tell me which City will that be Kano, Abuja, Enugu, Ibadan etc The only that has a slight chance will be Lagos. Will the FG support a Lagos bid? I doubt it, Abuja cannot beat Cairo, Casablanca or Nairobi let alone Johannesburg!
A city hosts the olympics but does ot always carry the financial weight alone. Afterall the city's success is the country's success. Abuja hosted the All African Games some years back but the funds came from the federal government. You don't expect a city in Nigeria to fun such a sporting event. Do you? And What do you mean by "Abuja cannot beat Cairo, Casablanca or Nairobi let alone Johannesburg!". Are those cities competing with Abuja? Who says they're interested in hosting the olympics. The games is not necessarily given to the better city but the city that shows more commitment.
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by babyboy3(m): 7:33am On Sep 08, 2013
Symphony007: ever heard of liverpool. Manchester. Edinburgh. Cardiff, glascow, blackpool,etc...by the way, manchester is hosting the 2014 commonwealth games.

The City of Manchester lost the 1996 and 2000 bid to both Atlanta Georgia and Sydney but the hosted the 2002 Commonwealth games
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by babyboy3(m): 7:42am On Sep 08, 2013
Afam4eva:
A city hosts the olympics but does ot always carry the financial weight alone. Afterall the city's success is the country's success. Abuja hosted the All African Games some years back but the funds came from the federal government. You don't expect a city in Nigeria to fun such a sporting event. Do you? And What do you mean by "Abuja cannot beat Cairo, Casablanca or Nairobi let alone Johannesburg!". Are those cities competing with Abuja? Who says they're interested in hosting the olympics. The games is not necessarily given to the better city but the city that shows more commitment.

The City matters because London beat the Favourite Paris, New York, Madrid, Rio de Janeiro, Moscow whereas Manchester lost to Atlanta and Sydney, The all African games is a different ball game yes Nigeria is a sport loving nation but thats not enough, Nigeria is a football crazy nation but the IOC love to know how will Nigeria maintain the Olympic legacy in the country? Am sorry Abuja lost to Glasgow and that speaks volume.

The City of London, majority of the fund for the 2012 Olympic came from London's council tax payers
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by nitlad: 7:43am On Sep 08, 2013
Afam4eva: Tokyo is a nice city and i'm happy for them...I hope Maiduguri wins the next one.

But i don't know why cities that i support keep losing out. I remember supporting New York against London and Chicago against Rio. Na wa. I think the Olympics will not go to any US city for a long time because Atlanta 96 just happened some years back.

This is not a criterion for the IOC. Na individual city dey bid not the country - the city with the most robust bid according to the IOC wins!

Los Angeles hosted in 1984, and in 1996, just 12 years later, Atlanta, another US city hosted. It's been 17 years now since Atlanta hosted.

Also this Istanbul's fifth failed bid in the last 20 years, and also Madrid's third consecutive fail! cheesy
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by redsun(m): 7:44am On Sep 08, 2013
Africans like everything that goes on in the world are not seen as part of oyinbo Olympics,they just use them to make up statistics and not seen as superior enough to host the game of The game of the gods.
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by babyboy3(m): 7:46am On Sep 08, 2013
redsun: Africans like everything that goes on in the world are not seen as part of oyinbo Olympics,they just use them to make up statistics and not seen as superior enough to host the game of The game of the gods.

Rio de Janeiro
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by Afam4eva(m): 7:49am On Sep 08, 2013
baby-boy:

The City matters because London beat the Favourite Paris, New York, Madrid, Rio de Janeiro, Moscow whereas Manchester lost to Atlanta and Sydney, The all African games is a different ball game yes Nigeria is a sport loving nation but thats not enough, Nigeria is a football crazy nation but the IOC love to know how will Nigeria maintain the Olympic legacy in the country? Am sorry Abuja lost to Glasgow and that speaks volume.

The City of London, majority of the fund for the 2012 Olympic came from London's council tax payers
In Nigeria, cities don't generate soo much money as a lot of stuff is controlled for a center, so i don't see how a Nigerian city will be able to host the olympics without heavy support from the FG. It's just not possible. At least not yet. Even the Abuja commonwealth bid was put forth and supported by the federal government. So, whether the Olympics is hosted in Yenagoa, Abakaliki or Ado-Ekiti, the Nigerian government will bear the grunt.
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by dfolan: 7:51am On Sep 08, 2013
baby-boy:

No cities in Nigeria can host Olympics, infact Nigeria as whole can't host an olympic event, the country will go bankrupt if she dares, Tokyo won the bid because it has the experience having hosted it in 1964, the city is by far the biggest city in the world not just by size or population, the city has the largest metropolitan economy in the world at $1.2trillion, almost four times. bigger than the Nigerian economy and two times bigger than south Africa. infact the city has best of infrastructures in the world it is known. as the digital capital of the world. obviously the city deserves it congratulations Tokyo
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by Afam4eva(m): 7:52am On Sep 08, 2013
nitlad:

This is not a criterion for the IOC. Na individual city dey bid not the country - the city with the most robust bid according to the IOC wins!

Los Angeles hosted in 1984, and in 1996, just 12 years later, Atlanta, another US city hosted. It's been 17 years now since Atlanta hosted.

Also this Istanbul's fifth failed bid in the last 20 years, and also Madrid's third consecutive fail! cheesy
Of cos it's not explicitly written as a criterion but the IOC would not ordinarily give the hosting right to a city in the same country with another city that has hosted it in a very short time. They try as much as possible to move it around. Atlanta 96(North America), Sydney 2000(Oceania), Greece 2004(Europe), Beijing 2008(Asia), London 2012(Europe), Rio 2016(South America), Tokyo 2020(Asia). So, you can see that they keep moving it around. The only reason it hasn't gotten to Africa is that it will be very difficult for an African city to host the event.
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by redsun(m): 7:59am On Sep 08, 2013
baby-boy:

Rio de Janeiro

U mean oyinbo annex in south america? Na dem dem.

All these are opportunities for us to think as relegated africans,not to glorify the game or the city tjat wpn iy
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by toms55(m): 8:00am On Sep 08, 2013
Ashlyy20: Gud 4 dem.wen wil nigeria host? undecidedGud 4 dem.wen wil nigeria host?
this I've always think about...aswell
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by babyboy3(m): 8:03am On Sep 08, 2013
Afam4eva:
In Nigeria, cities don't generate soo much money as a lot of stuff is controlled for a center, so i don't see how a Nigerian city will be able to host the olympics without heavy support from the FG. It's just not possible. At least not yet. Even the Abuja commonwealth bid was put forth and supported by the federal government. So, whether the Olympics is hosted in Yenagoa, Abakaliki or Ado-Ekiti, the Nigerian government will bear the grunt.

Yeah but no matter how much the FG throw at it, Abuja will never beat a city like Florida, Liverpool, Lisbon, Doha, Rome or Sao Paolo for the right to host the Olympics and these are cities which are strong enough to take the fight to the IOC, its only Lagos and Lagos is strong but not strong enough
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by babyboy3(m): 8:12am On Sep 08, 2013
Afam4eva:
Of cos it's not explicitly written as a criterion but the IOC would not ordinarily give the hosting right to a city in the same country with another city that has hosted it in a very short time. They try as much as possible to move it around. Atlanta 96(North America), Sydney 2000(Oceania), Greece 2004(Europe), Beijing 2008(Asia), London 2012(Europe), Rio 2016(South America), Tokyo 2020(Asia). So, you can see that they keep moving it around. The only reason it hasn't gotten to Africa is that it will be very difficult for an African city to host the event.

I think Athens got it as an honour to them for starting the games off and they get to host every first games of every new century, the Rio bid was supported by the whole continent of South America if correct
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by chucky234(m): 8:24am On Sep 08, 2013
Time to go back to the beautiful city of Tokyo,hope Tsunami and quakes dont mess the games sha.
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by Nobody: 8:28am On Sep 08, 2013
Which year would nigeria host an olympic?Ewww.Giant of africa oshi.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Zimbabwe Threaten AFCON Pullout Over Wage Row / Where Is Jiggaman, Oxygen And Other Ghanians On NL? / Atletico Madrid Interested In €25m Rated Onuachu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.