Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,698 members, 7,882,386 topics. Date: Sunday, 07 July 2024 at 12:17 AM

Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. - Sports (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. (10390 Views)

Olympic Games Qualifier :Equatorial Guinea 2 Vs Nigeria 1 (Full time) / Nigerian Team Departs To Participate In Special Olympic Games / Nigeria 1 - 1 Equatorial Guinea (Olympic Games Qualifier). (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by Symphony007: 9:54am On Sep 08, 2013
Afam4eva:
So what if it's the capital. Glasgow is the Lagos of Scotland and not even Edinburgh. That a city is a capital does not mean it's better than another city that's not a capital. You have to do away with that Nigerian mentality. Do you know that Chicago is the 3rd or 4th most important US city? How can you compare those Scottish and Welsh cities with Miami or Boston or Melbourne. These cities are global cities.
what nigerian mentality? We are talking of wealth and capacity to host and olympics. And the fact is non of the city you mentioned are as rich as edinburgh. Aberdeen according to wikipedia is the richest city in the world by GDP. So drop that arguement.
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by Afam4eva(m): 9:54am On Sep 08, 2013
Symphony007: no need to argue too much.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/other-sports/olympics-2012/4618507.stm

note the first reason.
We're saying the same thing. I said London won because they presented a better case but i'm not aware of the details and it could be what you asserted.

Btw, your link is broken.
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by Symphony007: 9:57am On Sep 08, 2013
Afam4eva:
We're saying the same thing. I said London won because they presented a better case but i'm not aware of the details and it could be what you asserted.

Btw, your link is broken.
a good thing you've conceded. London won because the team that presented it's bid worked overtime not because it was somehow better than manchester.

Sorry for the link but at least you got the point.
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by Afam4eva(m): 9:59am On Sep 08, 2013
Symphony007: what nigerian mentality? We are talking of wealth and capacity to host and olympics. And the fact is non of the city you mentioned are as rich as edinburgh. Aberdeen according to wikipedia is the richest city in the world by GDP. So drop that arguement.
You were of the opinion that since Edinburgh and Cardiff are capital ciities that they are better than those other cities that i listed...Aberdeen has the highest GDP in the world? Like seriously? I think you got your information here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cities_by_GDP and if you had played a close attention, you would have noticed that cities around the world were listed in an alphabetical order and Aberden came first followed by Abidjan. Does Abidjan have the second highest GDP in the world?
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by Afam4eva(m): 10:01am On Sep 08, 2013
Symphony007: a good thing you've conceded. London won because the team that presented it's bid worked overtime not because it was somehow better than manchester.

Sorry for the link but at least you got the point.
It's a correlation of different factors. What worked for London in addition to the city being one of the greatest in the world is what you alluded to. That does not mean that Abakaliki will beat New York or Los Angeles if it presents a good case. You must have the infrastructure first and foremost before anything and the cities that contested this time around all had that and it now came to something very vital that made Tokyo win it.
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by Handel22(m): 10:06am On Sep 08, 2013
spain z bankrupt....Tokyo z a beta option.
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by Symphony007: 10:07am On Sep 08, 2013
Afam4eva:
It's a correlation of different factors. What worked for London in addition to the city being one of the greatest in the world is what you alluded to. That does not mean that Abakaliki will beat New York or Los Angeles if it presents a good case. You must have the infrastructure first and foremost before anything and the cities that contested this time around all had that and it now came to something very vital that made Tokyo win it.
good. It's a combination of different factors so manchester lost both it's bid because it did'nt present a good case but it had the infastructure.
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by Afam4eva(m): 10:09am On Sep 08, 2013
Symphony007: good. It's a combination of different factors so manchester lost both it's bid because it did'nt present a good case but it had the infastructure.
It didn't have a better infrastructure than it's competitors. Manchester is just an above average city by every indices.
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by Symphony007: 10:10am On Sep 08, 2013
Afam4eva:
You were of the opinion that since Edinburgh and Cardiff are capital ciities that they are better than those other cities that i listed...Aberdeen has the highest GDP in the world? Like seriously? I think you got your information here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cities_by_GDP and if you had played a close attention, you would have noticed that cities around the world were listed in an alphabetical order and Aberden came first followed by Abidjan. Does Abidjan have the second highest GDP in the world?
i was not under the impression that the fact they are capital cities make them better or more capable at hosting. I based my belief on the fact that they are both rich and infastructurally stable cities.
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by Nobody: 10:10am On Sep 08, 2013
MacLovington:

Ada, Hapi beffday!

No candlelight dinner with Mazi Afam? e-dinner thinz.

grin

We're going to Paris cheesy grin
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by Afam4eva(m): 10:11am On Sep 08, 2013
Symphony007: i was not under the impression that the fact they are capital cities make them better or more capable at hosting. I based my belief on the fact that they are both rich and infastructurally stable cities.
And you made mention of Aberdeen having the largest GDP in the world and that is laughable. Aberdeen doesn't even come close to the top 50 while those cities i listed are somewhere in the top 20.
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by Symphony007: 10:12am On Sep 08, 2013
Afam4eva:
It didn't have a better infrastructure than it's competitors. Manchester is just an above average city by every indices.
where in my post did i argue that manchester has better infastructure than the other cities? I only said they had the infastructure and capabilities but could'nt make the case why they should be awarded.
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by Symphony007: 10:13am On Sep 08, 2013
Afam4eva:
And you made mention of Aberdeen having the largest GDP in the world and that is laughable. Aberdeen doesn't even come close to the top 50 while those cities i listed are somewhere in the top 20.
well. That was a most silly mistake and i apologise.
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by Afam4eva(m): 10:14am On Sep 08, 2013
Symphony007: where in my post did i argue that manchester has better infastructure than the other cities? I only said they had the infastructure and capabilities but could'nt make the case why they should be awarded.
You didn't say so but i'm saying maybe the fact that they didn't have as much infrastructure as other cities marred their bid somehow. I think cities like Manchester should stick with hosting events like the commonwealth games or the "All European Games" if there's any compeition like that. Olympics is for the bigger boys and most cities that win the bid are either mega or global cities.
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by Symphony007: 10:16am On Sep 08, 2013
Afam4eva:
You didn't say so but i'm saying maybe the fact that they didn't have as much infrastructure as other cities marred their bid somehow. I think cities like Manchester should stick with hosting events like the commonwealth games or the "All European Games" if there's any compeition like that. Olympics is for the bigger boys and most cities that win the bid are either mega or global cities.
i totally disgree with that premise. What makes them less capable of hosting an olympic? Manchester and rio which has better infastructure, lower crime rate.etc..
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by Afam4eva(m): 10:20am On Sep 08, 2013
Symphony007: i totally disgree with that premise. What makes them less capable of hosting an olympic? Manchester and rio which has better infastructure, lower crime rate.etc..
Rio does. Pls don't because brazil an emerging economy and that just any city in a developed country can trounce it. Rio is ranked 31st in the list of cities with highest GDP while Manchester is nowhere to be found. I'm not saying Manchester is not capable of hosting, all i'm saying is, if they ever get awarded with the right then it can best be described as a miracle.
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by Nobody: 10:23am On Sep 08, 2013
Ola one:
Haaa, memories?
You're probably 9 years old in 2005 na. grin

Too young for memories jare

I was 12 actually angry
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by theanonymous: 10:25am On Sep 08, 2013
Symphony007: spain is bankrupt, even if madrid won, the citizens will revolt and demand it be taken back...in a country with over 20% unemployment, spending money on olympics is the last thing on their mind.
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by Man2utd(m): 10:26am On Sep 08, 2013
I tot we were suppose to host the olympics since our vision was 20/20... They probabably didn't believe in our vision...
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by Symphony007: 10:29am On Sep 08, 2013
Afam4eva:
Rio does. Pls don't because brazil an emerging economy and that just any city in a developed country can trounce it. Rio is ranked 31st in the list of cities with highest GDP while Manchester is nowhere to be found. I'm not saying Manchester is not capable of hosting, all i'm saying is, if they ever get awarded with the right then it can best be described as a miracle.
there will be nothing miraculous about manchester winning the bid. For one, they won't be spending so much money on new infastructure, transport network. Hotels, and even security. Like rio is doing. It will be a walk over. Is it not funny that it is now that rio is spending over a billion dollars on CCTV camera's, police cars and command centers yet the IOC is still worried about security. All these aminities are on ground in manchester and money will only be spent of essential which won't cost a fortune and drive protestors into the streets like rio.
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by Afam4eva(m): 10:35am On Sep 08, 2013
Symphony007: there will be nothing miraculous about manchester winning the bid. For one, they won't be spending so much money on new infastructure, transport network. Hotels, and even security. Like rio is doing. It will be a walk over. Is it not funny that it is now that rio is spending over a billion dollars on CCTV camera's, police cars and command centers yet the IOC is still worried about security. All these aminities are on ground in manchester and money will only be spent of essential which won't cost a fortune and drive protestors into the streets like rio.
Even London spent about $14.46 billion, how much more Manchester. Does Manchester now have more Infrastructure than London? Meanwhile, Rio has almost the same budget as London, so i don't get what you're saying.
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by Reference(m): 10:43am On Sep 08, 2013
Afam4eva:
The first Olympic of this century was hosted by Sydney in Australia and not Athen, Greece.

They took it away from Athens very early on due to their slack preparations. Sydney did not have the first call. But there are certain countries that are always prepared to step in at short notice when others fail due to their experience, expertise, infrastructure and strong economy. America, Australia, Korea and now China can host any event at short notice just like South Africa is often used as an alternative host for pan african sporting events.
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by Afam4eva(m): 10:47am On Sep 08, 2013
Reference:

They took it away from Athens very early on due to their slack preparations. Sydney did not have the first call. But there are certain countries that are always prepared to step in at short notice when others fail due to their experience, expertise, infrastructure and strong economy. America, Australia, Korea and now China can host any event at short notice just like South Africa is often used as an alternative host for pan african sporting events.
You're right.
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by Symphony007: 10:50am On Sep 08, 2013
Afam4eva:
Even London spent about $14.46 billion, how much more Manchester. Does Manchester now have more Infrastructure than London? Meanwhile, Rio has almost the same budget as London, so i don't get what you're saying.
bear in mind that that was'nt london's initial budget but at the end it skyrocketed to this. The reason why london spent so much despite it's infastructure is because the olympic village was built at the outskirts of london, east london to be particular, a barren land. So it had to be built from scratch and tube lines connected there, it won't be same if manchester hosted because it has no barren lands. The stadium will be built in the city center and new tube lines would not be needed.

Brazil has not finished a the olympic stadium but they are already hitting their budget, yet they still have to spen more money on transport, security, demolishing pavillars and compensating residents. Etc...let's watch and see.
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by Afam4eva(m): 10:55am On Sep 08, 2013
Symphony007: bear in mind that that was'nt london's initial budget but at the end it skyrocketed to this. The reason why london spent so much despite it's infastructure is because the olympic village was built at the outskirts of london, east london to be particular, a barren land. So it had to be built from scratch and tube lines connected there, it won't be same if manchester hosted because it has no barren lands. The stadium will be built in the city center and new tube lines would not be needed.

Brazil has not finished a the olympic stadium but they are already hitting their budget, yet they still have to spen more money on transport, security, demolishing pavillars and compensating residents. Etc...let's watch and see.
So, how much did London use in the construction of olympic village? I don't think it took a large chunk of their budget. It seems Manchester may even have to spend more than London and Rio because most of their sports facilities are below par for the Olympics. They shouldn't think of using someof the sports arenas that they used for the commonwealth games. The olympics is a different ball game.
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by jametex(m): 10:59am On Sep 08, 2013
SIR KOL!:
2020?? End time tins!!!
SHOUT OUT to all the team END TIME....
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by Freiburger(m): 11:10am On Sep 08, 2013
When will it be Africa's turn to host one of these wonderful games?
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by Symphony007: 11:15am On Sep 08, 2013
Afam4eva:
So, how much did London use in the construction of olympic village? I don't think it took a large chunk of their budget. It seems Manchester may even have to spend more than London and Rio because most of their sports facilities are below par for the Olympics. They shouldn't think of using someof the sports arenas that they used for the commonwealth games. The olympics is a different ball game.
london 2013 budget initailly was 2.4 billion dollars, at the end of the day, they spent 14.46 billion dollars. Manchester city council estimate their budget for an olympic bid to be 5.5 billion dollars. Rio 2016 budget is 14. 4 billion dollars. And from the thrend you can see cities spent tripple their budget. So for rio to have a starting budget of 14.4 billion. You know the city needs heavy work. Guess how much will be their closing budget.
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by dfolan: 11:26am On Sep 08, 2013
cowleg: WONDERFULL TOKYO, LETS EXPECT SOME MAGICAL THINGS BUTTTTTTTTTTT shocked shocked shocked HOW MANY OF US WILL STAY ALIVE TILL THEN??
by the grace of God we shall live to see 2020 and beyond
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by idriis: 11:41am On Sep 08, 2013
spongeback: But it's almost end time undecided
na ur time go almost end! Me, my time still plenty.. Frm now to 2020 and beyondest...
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by ghananotnaija(m): 8:09pm On Sep 08, 2013
It should be Africa's turn next: Accra 2024!
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by MacLovington(m): 8:29pm On Sep 08, 2013
;
adaobi123:

We're going to Paris cheesy grin

Oh please don't go to my old hometown. I have too much fond memories. I don't wanna associate it with one red cap Mazi romancing our very own London omalincha nwam. cheesy.

Please go to Florida/Orlando, famous for pensioners, hurricane and micky mouse. cheesy grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Dolphins FC Vs Kwara United (0 - 0) On 7th March 2015 / NFF, FIFA, Everton Hails Yakubu At 37 / Mali Vs Equatorial Guinea AFCON 2021 Round-of-16 (5 - 6) pens On 26th Jan 2022

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.