Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,698 members, 7,882,386 topics. Date: Sunday, 07 July 2024 at 12:13 AM

Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. - Sports (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. (10389 Views)

Olympic Games Qualifier :Equatorial Guinea 2 Vs Nigeria 1 (Full time) / Nigerian Team Departs To Participate In Special Olympic Games / Nigeria 1 - 1 Equatorial Guinea (Olympic Games Qualifier). (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by chucky234(m): 8:29am On Sep 08, 2013
Afam4eva:
You're wrong. manchester hosted it some years back. 2014 belongs to Glasgow. Btw, the commonwealth games is not the same as the olympics.
Commonwealth games is wack void of the kind of fun that come with the Olympics.
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by Nobody: 8:31am On Sep 08, 2013
baby-boy:

Yeah but no matter how much the FG throw at it, Abuja will never beat a city like Florida, Liverpool, Lisbon, Doha, Rome or Sao Paolo for the right to host the Olympics and these are cities which are strong enough to take the fight to the IOC, its only Lagos and Lagos is strong but not strong enough
guy so u think if FG want to get serious and invest or throw in lots of money into abuja in the next 2-4 yrs,u think abuja can't host an olympic game?
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by nitlad: 8:32am On Sep 08, 2013
Afam4eva:
Of cos it's not explicitly written as a criterion but the IOC would not ordinarily give the hosting right to a city in the same country with another city that has hosted it in a very short time. They try as much as possible to move it around. Atlanta 96(North America), Sydney 2000(Oceania), Greece 2004(Europe), Beijing 2008(Asia), London 2012(Europe), Rio 2016(South America), Tokyo 2020(Asia). So, you can see that they keep moving it around. The only reason it hasn't gotten to Africa is that it will be very difficult for an African city to host the event.

Correct.

Still, the same country the US and the same continent North America, hosted in the space of just 12 years na - Los Angeles '88 and Atlanta '96 respectively.

And as for Africa hosting - Nairobi, Casablanca and Cairo all had proposed bids for the 2020 event that didn't get to application stage. I guess they just weren't up to scratch. tongue cheesy
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by Seyilome(m): 8:36am On Sep 08, 2013
Congratulations to my best loving city in the world TOKYO. One day I will travel there when money comes. JAPAN TECHNOLOGY.

1 Like

Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by AbuMikey(m): 8:41am On Sep 08, 2013
Surely,am gonna be at the opening ceremony cheesy
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by Nobody: 8:48am On Sep 08, 2013
Congratulations to Tokyo!
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by Nobody: 9:00am On Sep 08, 2013
adeokunade: By that time Usain Bolt would have retired and that will give Nigeria a chance to win 100meters men gold
even if bolt retires.9ja guyz no dey top 10.
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by babyboy3(m): 9:03am On Sep 08, 2013
Emmadani: guy so u think if FG want to get serious and invest or throw in lots of money into abuja in the next 2-4 yrs,u think abuja can't host an olympic game?

If them like ask Abu Dhabi and UAE to throw money at Abuja it doesnt stand a chance
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by Olaone1: 9:04am On Sep 08, 2013
adaobi123: I remember when London won it. Memories cry
Haaa, memories?
You're probably 9 years old in 2005 na. grin

Too young for memories jare
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by philips70(m): 9:10am On Sep 08, 2013
manny4life:

Ahh, Afam Nwanne'm... so you got to me like this? angry angry angry

Me think sey you serious? grin grin grin

Well wahala no dey... My beloved Nigeria will get there

Nigeria will host the Olympics and Nnewi will be the city that will host the gamess grin grin

In 4040AD grin grin
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by everyday: 9:10am On Sep 08, 2013
These days i look up to Nairaland for my latest news
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by everyday: 9:15am On Sep 08, 2013
Thats good for tokyo.It will bring in billions of dollars as revenue when they host the olympics
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by Nobody: 9:17am On Sep 08, 2013
WONDERFULL TOKYO, LETS EXPECT SOME MAGICAL THINGS BUTTTTTTTTTTT shocked shocked shocked HOW MANY OF US WILL STAY ALIVE TILL THEN??
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by Symphony007: 9:20am On Sep 08, 2013
Afam4eva:
You're wrong. manchester hosted it some years back. 2014 belongs to Glasgow. Btw, the commonwealth games is not the same as the olympics.
my mistake. So do you think edinburgh can't host an olympics? Or cardiff? Liverpool. Blackpool.etc...forget the commonwealth games, that's not an issue.
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by Symphony007: 9:22am On Sep 08, 2013
baby-boy:

The City of Manchester lost the 1996 and 2000 bid to both Atlanta Georgia and Sydney but the hosted the 2002 Commonwealth games
does that make it less capable of hosting the games? Paris and new york lost the 2012 bid to london, does that mean they were less capable?
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by ennon92(m): 9:25am On Sep 08, 2013
Afam4eva:
Of cos it's not explicitly written as a criterion but the IOC would not ordinarily give the hosting right to a city in the same country with another city that has hosted it in a very short time. They try as much as possible to move it around. Atlanta 96(North America), Sydney 2000(Oceania), Greece 2004(Europe), Beijing 2008(Asia), London 2012(Europe), Rio 2016(South America), Tokyo 2020(Asia). So, you can see that they keep moving it around. The only reason it hasn't gotten to Africa is that it will be very difficult for an African city to host the event.
except for south africa so far they hosted d mundial in 2010 n it was something to write home about.
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by Afam4eva(m): 9:27am On Sep 08, 2013
Symphony007: my mistake. So do you think edinburgh can't host an olympics? Or cardiff? Liverpool. Blackpool.etc...forget the commonwealth games, that's not an issue.
Edinburgh, Cardiff or Liverpool can host it but not when they're up against bigger and richer cities like Boston, Miami, Chicago, Melbourne, SHanghai etc. They also have to be up and doing financially which is very very critical.
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by Afam4eva(m): 9:27am On Sep 08, 2013
Symphony007: does that make it less capable of hosting the games? Paris and new york lost the 2012 bid to london, does that mean they were less capable?
Why do you think Britain lost the bid when they presented Manchester but won when they presented London?
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by Afam4eva(m): 9:29am On Sep 08, 2013
ennon92: except for south africa so far they hosted d mundial in 2010 n it was something to write home about.
It's wayy easier to host the world cup than the Olympic games. The Olympics is a different ball game. Johannesburg, Capetown or any SA city that wants to host the Olympics have to work over 3 times as hard as they worked for South Africa 2010.
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by Afam4eva(m): 9:31am On Sep 08, 2013
nitlad:

Correct.

Still, the same country the US and the same continent North America, hosted in the space of just 12 years na - Los Angeles '88 and Atlanta '96 respectively.

And as for Africa hosting - Nairobi, Casablanca and Cairo all had proposed bids for the 2020 event that didn't get to application stage. I guess they just weren't up to scratch. tongue cheesy
The US is like a continent on it's own and the distance between New York and Los Angeles is like the distance between New York and London, so i think as far as America is concerned, it's considered a continent. So, the rule may not apply to them as much as others.
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by Afam4eva(m): 9:32am On Sep 08, 2013
baby-boy:

I think Athens got it as an honour to them for starting the games off and they get to host every first games of every new century, the Rio bid was supported by the whole continent of South America if correct
The first Olympic of this century was hosted by Sydney in Australia and not Athen, Greece.
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by Afam4eva(m): 9:34am On Sep 08, 2013
baby-boy:

Yeah but no matter how much the FG throw at it, Abuja will never beat a city like Florida, Liverpool, Lisbon, Doha, Rome or Sao Paolo for the right to host the Olympics and these are cities which are strong enough to take the fight to the IOC, its only Lagos and Lagos is strong but not strong enough
Florida is a state not a city. These cities you have listed have better infrastructure than Abuja but that's not always a factor. London beat New York to host the 2012 edition. Does it mean London has more infrastructure than New York?
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by Afam4eva(m): 9:37am On Sep 08, 2013
chucky234: Commonwealth games is wack void of the kind of fun that come with the Olympics.
You're right. Any competition that Britain dominates is not worth following.
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by Symphony007: 9:38am On Sep 08, 2013
Afam4eva:
Edinburgh, Cardiff or Liverpool can host it but not when they're up against bigger and richer cities like Boston, Miami, Chicago, Melbourne, SHanghai etc. They also have to be up and doing financially which is very very critical.
none of the cities you mentioned except maybe for shanghai is richer than edinburgh. Be reminded. Edingburgh is the capital of scotland. It's not just another britsih city. Same with cardiff which is the welsh capital.
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by Afam4eva(m): 9:41am On Sep 08, 2013
Symphony007: none of the cities you mentioned except maybe for shanghai is richer than edinburgh. Be reminded. Edingburgh is the capital of scotland. It's not just another britsih city. Same with cardiff which is the welsh capital.
So what if it's the capital. Glasgow is the Lagos of Scotland and not even Edinburgh. That a city is a capital does not mean it's better than another city that's not a capital. You have to do away with that Nigerian mentality. Do you know that Chicago is the 3rd or 4th most important US city? How can you compare those Scottish and Welsh cities with Miami or Boston or Melbourne. These cities are global cities.
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by Symphony007: 9:42am On Sep 08, 2013
Afam4eva:
Why do you think Britain lost the bid when they presented Manchester but won when they presented London?
everybody knows that london would'nt have won the 2012 olympics games bid if not for lord sebastine coe. His bid focusing on young people as the future of the olympics and the conerstone of london 2012 won the day.
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by Afam4eva(m): 9:43am On Sep 08, 2013
Symphony007: everybody knows that london would'nt have won the 2012 olympics games bid if not for lord sebastine coe. His bid focusing on young people as the future of the olympics and the conerstone of london 2012 won the day.
London won the bid because they were more serious than others. These days US doesn't show enough commitment to wanting to host the Olympics else they New York would have gotten it over LOndon or Chicago over Rio. The cities that have won the bid tend to be more dedicated and present a better case than their competition.
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by Symphony007: 9:51am On Sep 08, 2013
Afam4eva:
London won the bid because they were more serious than others. These days US doesn't show enough commitment to wanting to host the Olympics else they New York would have gotten it over LOndon or Chicago over Rio. The cities that have won the bid tend to be more dedicated and present a better case than their competition.
no need to argue too much.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/other-sports/olympics-2012/4618507.stm

note the first reason.
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by Nuzo1(m): 9:52am On Sep 08, 2013
I've been longing to explore Tokyo. This is a wonderfull opportunity for me. I'm more exicted about the technological advancement by 2020. Premium rush!

On the other hand, if a Nigerin city were to host the olympics....it would have to be Calabar. Its clean, fresh and draws a lot of tourists.

70 percent of olympic spectators are tourists.
Re: Tokyo Wins Bid To Host 2020 Olympic Games. by gameboy727(m): 9:52am On Sep 08, 2013
I hope there would also be a drifting competition.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Dolphins FC Vs Kwara United (0 - 0) On 7th March 2015 / NFF, FIFA, Everton Hails Yakubu At 37 / Mali Vs Equatorial Guinea AFCON 2021 Round-of-16 (5 - 6) pens On 26th Jan 2022

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.